Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• gymshoegymshoe Member Posts: 80
    of my 02 A4 to fix a rattle.
    There are two pipes that come down out of the engine, and meet at a point somewhere right behind the engine...sorta below the front passenger area....and then it splits off again into the dual exhausts. Kinda looked like an "X" shaped but the point where they cross is a little higher up.

i'm just babbleing...got 3 hours of sleep.
    whoohoo! my wife let me drive the A4 to work today! hahahaha....2nd time in 2 1/2 weeks! whoohoo!
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    I thought yours is a 1.8T.....and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought only 6-cylinder engines can have true dual exhausts.....so those 2 downpipes can't be real individual downpipes.....plus they join together before splitting again.....but yeah, the appearance of true dual exhausts is so awesome.

Uh oh, thanks Shipo for correcting me.

How about the next genearation RS6 that rumored to have 450hp?? It should rival the M5.....if the Quattro system is not that heavy.

Mark, I heard people talking about the price of the 03 S4 should be around $50k, so your hypothesized 5k price hop from a fully loaded A4 3.0 might be about right. Yeah while most US drivers don't even know there is an S4 in US (I've heard funny stories about riced out Hondas trying to race an S4 and got totally smoked and they proclaimed, "Geez those A4's are fast and we better watch out!!"), look at the M3.....the same exact thing came over from Europe.....ok maybe the rims are not as big as the ones in Europe cuz of our crappy roads, but still.....AoA, ship the RS4 and the RS6 over please.....everybody chip in like $10 for the emission certification please :>

Billy
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Shipo:
    I've seen you on the 5 series board.
    I just got a 530i 5 speed. I did cross shop the 3.0 A-4, but as a past A-4 owner I thought that the 530i was a better value even though it is about $2K more in real world dollars. Also, I really liked the looks of my '98 A-4, but never warmed up to the current A-6 (esp. the rear end), and now the similar A-4 styling.
    I didn't do E.D. since I needed a car in a hurry, but got what I wanted at about $2500. off of list. (I'm also in the NY metro area).
    Good luck in your decision and search.
    sb55

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

I don't like the looks of the current 3 series sedan and but love the looks of the 3 series coupe and the 5 series sedans.....before the 530i I always think the 528i is a little underpowered but with the new 530i power should be adequate, right sb55?

Oh by the way I just learned that the 2001 A4/S4 had been awarded the Best Car of the Year 2001 Award by 2 prestiged car magazines and car authority in Hong Kong. I gotta find out if they're talking about the new B6 platform A4 or the B5 platform A4.....since we get the B6 platform A4 more than a year after Europe got it....but judging by the fact that they pair up the A4 and S4 I'd think they're talking about the B5 platform A4/S4.

Billy
  • todd1001todd1001 Member Posts: 1
    I'm debating between purchasing the Passat GLX or the A4 1.8t with CVT (or possibly the 325i). Here are what I see as the plusses and minuses of each...

Passat's V6 seems to have better low-range acceleration than the a4 (although neither is all that spectacular.) It comes with leather and automatic seats. The car is a bit big for my taste, though.

I think I can get it for under 29,000, which to me seems to be a lot of money for a VW, when I could get an Audi for the same price or possibly even less.

As for the Audi, if I could get leather and auto seats, I'd probably go for that car. It's amazing to me that I can get these options on a BMW, Accord, Camry, or Maxima but not an Audi 1.8t.

As for the BMW, love the exterior, but can't get past the dated interior look. Audi and Passat have BMW beat hands down here(although the Bimmer is a fun car to drive).

Can anyone offer any thoughts?
  • bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    The leather-and-power thing was a turn-off for me initially too, but I got over it. I think that the quality of Audi leatherette is really high, and only a close inspection would make an observer think it is not the real deal. It's also supposed to wear a lot better. I have power seats in my current SUV, and I use them seldom, as what is a comfortable driving position for me today is likely to still be comfortable for me tomorrow. The 1.8T seats are pretty adjustable and I found it very easy to get comfortable. Power and memory might be worth it if I was going to share the car a lot, which I'm not.
  • spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    Personally I'd be quite happy with the leatherette. I think it's attractive and wears well. But heck I wish they'd bring back vinyl, heheh. Everything is either cloth or leather. I dislike cloth because it doesn't clean easy and I have a dog. And while I like leather, I don't like paying for it and have to be very carefull because of my dog.

I bought a 2001.5 Passat GLS V6 wagon and though I am extremely happy with it, I'd trade it for a 2002 A4 3.0 Avant :-) Originally I bought the Passat planning to keep it many years but now I'm thinking that if there's any way I can afford to move up to an Audi S4 on the new body style when they come out I'll do it.
  • teslamaniateslamania Member Posts: 18
    Audi has stability control (ESP) and rear side air bags are optional - not so on the passat
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    "Anyhow, after I went to the Quattro Challenge hosted by Audi, they showed us how good
    Quattro is even on dry pavement and wet pavement (water). We can downshift, make a turn, and because it got all the wheels sharing the engine torque, it's just incredibly smooth coming out of curves. When you go and test drive the Audi with Quattro, ask the salesman for a very curvy road. . ."

Billy's sentiments express exactly what got my wife and me hooked on quattro's -- and Audi's driving school in Austria also provides further persuasion as they have two rear-wheel-drive A4's for demonstrating the quattro's handling prowess when compared with RWD only.

The very fact that some want to seriously consider an RWD BMW against an AWD Audi -- convinces me that I must test drive a 330xi and a 330 non-xi. I cannot imagine any RWD besting even the 330xi's "take" on AWD (rearward bias and slightly higher center of gravity, that is). The very fact that an RWD 330 would be shopped against an A4 3.0 quattro blows my mind. The BMW must be fantastic. I will be trying one very soon -- but I will try it in real-world conditions, and color me -- in advance -- skeptical. How could any RWD provide the kind of handling, performance, safety and fun in the kind of circumstances we "enjoy" here in River City (Cincinnati)? Even though we generally have moderate winters and this year we are waiting to go below 50F (daytime) and rain, it seems to me that the oversteer tendencies of RWD and the lack of distributed torque would make the Audi A4 3.0 quattro run (four) circles around most if not all RWD vehicles, no matter what their pedigree.

I would rather have the 330xi than the RWD version -- assuming that I wanted a Bimmer. The Mercedes AWD deserves a look see also, but it is even more money than the xi version.

Anyway, I will give the BMW a test drive and report back as soon as I can!

If I had a spare 2000 DM, I would send anyone who wanted to understand what I am talking about to the Audi Driving Experience in Seefeld Austria -- I cannot imagine anyone would come out of that experience less than 100% convinced of the "value, safety, performance, fun and superiority" of AWD, especially quattro.

I'll save my pfennings.
    oh by the way I test drove a RWD BMW 325ci before I got the Audi. While I didn't drive "like I stole it", it didn't show me why I want to get a RWD BMW......but there are a million things that pointed me the other way.....things like seeing all the RWD Lexus, BMW and M-B's getting stuck in like 3 inches of snow here in Chicago. C'mon.

I agree when people test drive BMW RWD's and AWD's, drive it hard. My theory is, RWD works better than FWD and maybe AWD IF, ONLY IF, you are a pro in a track. Pro drivers drive not by how they see the road, but how the car sees the road. They taught us that in the Audi Quattro Challenge that, let's say, you are turning into the curve, you're oversteering or your back end starts to come out. Contrary to what people usually do, i.e. brakes, you actually gas on an AWD vehicle. Why's that? When you gas, your car's weight shifted to the rear, and that puts more traction back to the rear and "miraculously" the rear kicks right in and you are right on track. And because Quattro sends only half of the power to the rear it won't completely kicks your car out like a RWD car will do. Try that in a BMW and you head straight into the wall without steering input.

By the way at the Quattro Challenge, one of the local Audi dealers also deal BMW's and they brought a BMW 325i RWD to demo how good Quattro is. They put the cars on a wet plastic sheet and in turns accelerated the cars while making a turn. It's important to remember that (Four X no traction = no traction), regardless Quattro, FWD or RWD. The Audi with Quattro, while skidding a little bit, came out from the curve only about 20 degrees away from where it intended to go. The BMW with RWD almost made a 90 degrees turn and if that's a real world situation, you will be sideways towards incoming traffic. They also floored both cars on a GRAVEL straightaway. The Audi Quattro A4 accelerated without problems but the BMW RWD got hampered by the traction control and cuts its throttle, its computer thinking the wheels got minimal traction. Of course the Audi won. Totally bought our minds.

Yeah actually I'm interested to test drive BMW's AWD (with RWD bias like normal power 67% to the rear and 33% to the front) and see how it compares to Audi's Quattro with equal bias, 50% to the front and 50% to the rear.

And Mark, I just joined the national Quattro Club thing and on the fall issue they said there're half available openings in the 2003 Austria trip.....tempting tempting.

Billy
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Edwin-- I just got off the phone with a friend who has a friend who has a new 1.8T. This person has been in touch with both GIAC (Garrett) and APR this last week (evidently) and the report is that both chip tuners are on the verge of offering a new chip for the 2002 A4 1.8T. The 2002 ECU evidently has more sophisticated security features built-in in order to make it more difficult for tuners to do this type of "hacking" but as somebody said, anything can be hacked eventually.

So, if it aids any in your decision, it sounds like chips are on the way for the 1.8T for whatever it's worth.*grins*

--'rocco
  • eawegeaweg Member Posts: 50
    I appreciate you remembering! I am on the 6-month delayed purchasing plan...which means " I gotta wait for some more dough" However, I plan to use the six months wisely...I will test drive every possible combination of transmission, engine, and drive before I purchase the Audi. I look forward to hearing people's "chipping results" soon. By no means am I a speedracer...I would just like a little more "OOMPH"
    Edwin-- Exactly! ...I considered chipping too and, like you, am not not a speedracer either but thought I might want that little extra too. But so far, I see nothing wrong with the way my engine is performing but maybe it's because I have the lighter "old" platform A4 with a 5-speed manual.

Good luck in your decision and have fun doing all those test drives!

--'rocco
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I bought a new Passat last spring;I like it much better than the A4. Someone posted that the Passat seems a little too big,which really surprises me.I find it quite tidy outside,with a HUGE back seat.
    I've read that the Passat actually shares some underpinnings with the A6,and should be considered more a shortened A6 than a larger A4.
    I understand the attraction of the A4,though. I object to the rising belt line,though,it makes the rear cabin claustrophobic. On the other hand,it has the nicest vinyl uplostery I've every seen.
    But I went to the Seattle International Auto Show a while back, and got into a little friendly argument with some VW guy there about the Passat. I remember reading very clearly that the Passat (and I followed the passat closely since it's major redesign in 98) was a stretched A4.
    The dealer said no way, NO WAY. The passat is based off the A6.
    now....why would they say that.
    I can think of 2 possible reasons.
    1) that it is indeed based off the A6 or
    2) it makes the passat sound much better to say that...who's gonna prove them wrong.

well...I bought my A4 a week after a friend of mine bought her Passat. I got a 1.8T Quattro A4, and she got one of the rare Passat GLS 4motions.

MerckX ..please...the passat's back seat is not HUGE! it's not that much better than the A4.
    You want a huge backseat in a sedan? Get a maxima or an altima. Those are HUGE backseats. But unless you haul around adults all the time, backseats don't really matter.

Whoever posted the passat as being too big...doesn't know big. Again...look up the maxima and altima. Those are big sedans.
    But i have questions on your comments.
    How does a rising belt line...I'm assuming you mean the exterior line....how does something on the exterior make it claustrophobic in the interior?! have you sat in the back of the A4? Although VW and audi share a lot of stuff...man, they are completely different beasts.

I shopped the passat a lot. The A4 wasn't even in consideration cause of this uninformed idea that they were way too much in cost. To my surprise...they didn't differ in cost by that much, and you get so much more with the audi.

In terms of looks. The new A4 strives for a aggressive yet elegant/classy look and I think it's hit the mark quite well. The passat also has the elegant/classy look down pat, but lacks in any agressiveness. It has "family car" tattooed all over it. Which isn't a bad thing. My maxima has "wannabe sports sedan" tattooed all over it! :)

not too sure what your point was in your post merckx but if you're gonna tell me the passat is an overall better car than an A4....warn me...cause i shouldn't laugh out loud here at work.

and that's MY opinion.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I think that the dealer who told you "NO WAY" was playing a smoke and mirrors game. If you bear with me for a moment, I will explain why…

A few years ago BC (before children) I subscribed to virtually every car mag available. At the time of the launches of the previous A4 (1996) and current A6 (1998), I remember that when the new A4 came out, there was much press about its revolutionary platform design. Two years later, the new A6 was launched on a stretched A4 platform, and received similar accolades because the press felt that the second iteration of the successful A4 platform was just as promising in the new A6.

In the strictest sense, the dealer told you mostly the truth, the new Passat and the new A6 were designed at about the same time, from the same base platform, and I am sure that they share many attributes, however, BOTH the A6 and the Passat hearken back to their ancestor the A4.

Disclaimer; now that I have children AND no longer have time to read my magazines (all subscriptions have been allowed to laps), my memory may be a little fuzzy on some of the above facts, however, I believe they are basically true.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    VW/Audi has several different underlying "platforms" that their cars are based upon. Both the previous A4 (up to and including 2001) and the current Passat (including 2002) are based on the B5 platform - smallish car, fifth generation since the VW Fox. The Passat is indeed a slightly stretched version of this platform and thus a little larger than it's A4 sibling. Note that even if the basic platforms are the same, there is still a lot of room for differentiating models. Case in point, VW redesigned the Passat mid 2001 and claimed that there were around 2500 new parts and changes.

IIRC, the 2002 A4 is a new design, based on the B6 platform. I don't know when or if VW will be adopting the new platform.

I don't believe that the B5/Passat bears any relation at all to the A6.

Rick
    Particularly, the engine oil fill capacity on the A4's in the user's manual is wrong. It's 3.7qt, instead of 4.3qt.

http://cory.charltonfamily.org/gti/vwtechcontent/audipdf/a000102.pdf

Enjoy.

Billy

• merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    This is definately a trend-I assume it gives the car higher rear haunches-look at the new Mercedes C coupe. This serves to make the rear side window rather shallow-it gets nigh on chin-level on the A4. I can only say that this upright sitting 6 footer can easily sit behind his seat in the Passat-on the A4-no way. Try it.
    i'm also a 6 footer and i've sat in the back seat of the A4. It's not too bad. i can't sit straight up, but i don't sit straight up while driving most of the time. Besides....why are YOU in the backseat.
    I dealt with this dilemma with my last car. I was so hung up on having back seat room. I bought a maxima cause it had a huge rear seat ..among other things.
    However, what I've found, me...as the driver or at worst, the passenger...i couldn't care too much about the back seats comfor or space. I don't ever sit back there.
    The passat is...more boxier than the A4..and yes..the A4 has the upward waistline that makes the rear window a bit smaller and the celing swwops down so head room is sacrificed.
    Ever sit in the back seat of an Acura TL? sucks.

Anyway...what should matter is how you feel sitting in the DRIVER'S seat of the A4. It's considerably differnt than the passat.
    The platform debate is, indeed, a confusing one and, I've found, often confusing to even Audi sales people. My understanding is closest to what Rick described:

B5 Platform: first generation A4 and current generation Passat

B6 Platform: current (new) A4

C5 Platform: current generation A6

The current C5 platform (A6) developed subsequent to the B5 --therefore, as Shipo explained, integrating some of the B5's technology-- in theory, actually evolved more from the old C4 platform (Audi 100). So therefore, it is my understanding (and my understanding only) that the Passat is based more on the A4 (sharing the same platform as the "old" A4) than the A6.

And speaking of huge rear seats, has anyone looked at the back seats of the Toyota Avalon? Wow! ...now that's what I'd call a huge rear seating area!

Billy-- Now that's what I was trying to post 5 months ago! I have that TSB on my hard drive but didn't know how to post it here. I think they've got it corrected in the 2002 manual, however ...I think. Thanx for posting it. (Billy's talking about the 1.8T engine, of course)

--'rocco
  • aegus1aegus1 Member Posts: 29
    As a Maxima (2 platforms back) and A4 (1 platform back) owner, I can understand the slight claustraphobic feeling in the driver's seat. A raised beltline as a styling cue diminishes the greenhouse (unless you're in an SUV with big roof syndrome). I had the same sort of feeling when I test drove the M-coupe. It's different, you get used to it. I would bet that it's marginally safer. Metal slows down an object better than glass.

I think my Avant probably beats the sedan for rear headroom (again previous platform). And yup those Maximas have big back seats. Friends used to give me grief about getting in and out of my Explorer Sport (2dr). No one ever complained in the Maxima. Now I'll just tell them to find another ride if their not happy.

-Barry
    Talk about vehicle legroom, few mid-sized cars come even close to the previous generation Passat (mine was a 1995). As a basis of comparison look at the following cars:

FLR / RLR = Ttl
    45.1 / 37.0 = 82.1 – 1994 – 1997 Passat
    41.4 / 35.3 = 76.7 – 1998 – 2002 Passat
    41.4 / 34.4 = 75.8 – 1999 – 2002 3-Series (Sedan)
    41.3 / 33.4 = 74.7 – 1996 – 2001 A4
    41.3 / 37.3 = 78.6 – 1998 – 2002 A6
    41.7 / 40.1 = 81.8 – 2002 – 2002 Avalon
    41.3 / 36.1 = 77.4 – 1996 – 2002 E-Class
    44.8 / 36.2 = 81.0 – 2002 – 2002 Nissan Maxima
    42.6 / 41.1 = 83.7 – 2002 – 2002 Lincoln Town Car

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rogerabrogerab Member Posts: 29
    I am considering purchase the 1.8TQuat and would like advise on the following.
    Are they reliable.
    Are Audi still including the servicing if not how do the servicing costs compare to Honda, Toyota etc.
    Do they depreciate more than Accords & Camry's
    All help appreciated.
    Roger-- Well, maybe not quite as reliable as the Accord and Camry but more reliable than the average car. Audi still does offer free maintenance/servicing for 4 years/50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Accoring to Consumer Reports, depreciation ratings (retained value) for the A4 is "above average," for the Accord "above average" and for the Camry "average." Shipo has previously posted (on some board, I can't remember where) a list of cars by their % of retained value after 3 years from ALG ...Shipo?

Shipo-- Interesting statistics. Although the "old" Passat has a generous amount of leg room in the front, its rear leg room measurements aren't correspondingly as impressive. And how did the Lincoln Town Car fit into that category? ...wouldn't the LS be a better comparison? --or was it included just to show how the others really compare to a "big" car? *heh*

Barry-- *hah* ...that's tellin' them!

--'rocco
    Hmmm, unless I miss my guess, the rear seat legroom measurements are taken with the front seat all of the way back to the rear stops. I am only 5'8" (although fairly long of leg for that height) and with the front seat set for me, the back seat legroom in my Passat was HUGH, large enough for my business partner who is 6’3” with knee room to spare. Given that I had almost 7” of front seat rearward travel remaining on my Passat, that equates to over 43" of leg room in the back seat! Truly prodigious for a mid sized car.

I put the Lincoln Town Car in there as a point of comparison; I never meant to imply that it was of the same class of the other cars. FWIW, the LS and the X-Type have the following numbers:

FLR / RLR = TTL
    42.8 / 37.4 = 80.2 – 2002 Lincoln LS
    42.4 / 34.4 = 76.8 – 2002 Jaguar X-Type

Lease residual values for a 3 year lease @ 15,000 miles per year are as follows:
    54% - 2002 A4 1.8t Quattro
    52% - 2002 Accord LX (4 cylinder)
    48% - 2002 Camry LE (4 cylinder)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    So what mileage are you at? As I said a few posts back, I'm at about 3200. A pinched nerve in the back had me down for a while. I couldn't even go out and polish my car. The reason I ask, I thought we actually had roughly about the same mileage. I've already had to put a quart in. I've heard some cars might use oil during break-in, but I've never owned one before. My Explorer needed topping up, but that was 30,000 miles after break-in.

I don't think I've heard anyone here mention needing oil. I now have a quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 in the back. I'm also watching it alot closer. The other weird thing, it seems to read higher soon after shutoff rather than later (not hours). I always thought later would just mean more oil had returned to the sump. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Oh and I just got one of those "Wow look at that"s tonight. I had used my 12V air compressor to bring my tire pressure up to spec last night and left the lighter flipped up. Low and behold there was this beautiful, bright orangish red circle glowing back at me when I turned the car on. As you already guessed I don't smoke. I just thought it looked pretty neat.

-Barry
  • audibuyer1audibuyer1 Member Posts: 11
    We are in the process of looking for an A4 at some of the dealers in the area. We are interested in the Goodwood Green color. One dealer has one in stock but it has the Sport package and doesn't have the Bose speaker. My opinion on Bose is that it does sound better than the standard option but I was wondering what people who actually have the standard set up think. Also, someone told me that the sport package would detract from the quattro effect (i.e. not as good in the snow). I am looking for input from anyone that has the sport package on a Quattro. Thanks for your help.
    Barry-- Well... *hides* I have just over 2,000. I had the oil changed at 1,750 by the dealer under the 6 months/5,000 miles, whichever comes first, service interval. So, what you are asking really doesn't apply to me in that I've only had the new oil in there for a little more than 300 miles and I just checked it and it reads exactly as it did right after the dealer service. It's funny that you asked because I just got through reading an old article (post) over at AudiWorld from someone that had the low oil light come on in his car with 2,700 miles on it. Someone responded: "Sometimes new engines will consume some oil...don't worry, once the engine is broken in a little more, it shouldn't consume so much oil. By 5-10K miles your oil consumption should drop to almost nothing. In the time being, check the oil level religiously, and keep a spare quart in the trunk." ...here's the URL for the thread --you can read the other responses: http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/622216.phtml

Yeah, that's strange how you get a higher reading immediately after shutting down ...I don't know about that. I usually check mine cold.

And it's also funny about your reaction to the cigartette lighter! ...I had the same reaction --I've keep mine in the flipped up position just to impress people at night! *lol*

Shipo-- Thanx for posting those residuals! ...interesting and reassuring.

Paul-- The probable reason you've heard that is mainly because of the high-performance tires that come with the sport package ...they're awful in the ice and snow --but the sport package itself doesn't really have that much of an adverse effect on the way the car handles in snow. So if you opt for the sport package and are worried about snow, just get yourself some tires with decent traction capabilities that you can use during the winter season.

--'rocco
    I say, yes on Sport package and I don't know on Bose -- I think (as in I have never compared them back-to-back) the Bose sounds better, even though I think it is a bit over priced. I have the Bose, my wife has the Bose and all the people I know with Audi's have the Bose -- I guess this means the dealer is good at sales (and most people I know special order their Audis -- check that -- ALL the people I know special order their Audis). I am probably not a reliable source of information on the sound system issue that is.

The sport package, as far as I can tell, could only cause snow related problems due to the Ultra High Performance Summer tires that come with it -- it seems to me, however, this should be a good thing, most of the time -- if you really live where snow is an issue, it would seem that even the standard tires would be "just barely ok." I would, under such circumstances, have a set of snow tires (and possibly wheels) -- for the season and for the other three seasons, enjoy the extra performance.
  • audibonaudibon Member Posts: 100
    Hello all! Answers and observations to some questions.

"Rocco-correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the sport suspension package wind up lowering the car a few inches in addition to the lower profile tires? I was under the impression that different springs were installed as well. Paul-Depending on where you live you may want to take that into consideration. I know here in Southeastern, WI this time last year we were buried in almost a total of 50" of snow. (Not all at once Thank God!:) ) We didn't have the Audi yet (rats!) but in retrospect am glad we didn't get the sport package because I wouldn't want to damage the lower spoilers and such after a heavy snowfall.

Barry-The oil alarm went on once since I have had the car. I think it was around 3k. I now am around 7k. I didn't have any Mobil 1 at the time so I just threw in some regular oil. Knew it wouldn't be long before 5k service and it would be changed. I drive pretty hard above 5000 rpm in every gear before shifting. Since the 5k service no alarms and I brought my own Mobil 1 0W-30.

All-As far as room is concerned I took the position of gymshoe and most of the other owners on this board. I will be sitting in either the driver's seat or riding shotgun. My son (he is 9 yrs. old) and other passengers deal with the back seats. Our dogs do not ride in the Audi. This works out fine for me. You may want to consider something else that can sway your decision- trunk space. The A4 has 13.4 cu. ft. and the 3 series has 10.7 cu. ft. It may not sound like a lot but open them up and compare. Think about any trips you may take or if you have a golfer in the family. The trunk space was a big issue and selling point for our family. Hope the info helps your decision.
    Regards,
    Brian
    As I understand it, the sport suspension lowers the car 20mm or about 8/10's of an inch -- spring and "damper" rates are also increased (stiffened, somewhat) and thicker anti-sway bars are also included. Lower profile (aspect ratio) and larger diameter (wheel size increases by one or more inches) are also part of the mix. Add sport seats, a sport steering wheel and a badge or two and "ta-da" somewhat firmer ride, less dive, less body roll and greater cornering ability. And, for my money a better, more comfortable, less floaty ride -- especially at speed.

As each platform evolution is brought to the market, the stiffness of the springs and shocks etc is less of an issue for many reasons, but one is dominant -- generally each evolution of the chassis is "stiffer" than the previous version.

The suspension can actually be slightly lower, stiffer and permit less body leaning and the ride will actually improve -- I suspect the "ultimate" expression of an Audi sport suspension will be when the steel springs are replaced with an air suspension (the allroad is "proof" that it can be done and that it can be put into an "affordable" vehicle -- thus far, the allroad suspension appears to be adjustable (it adapts), comfortable and [I assume] basically trouble free).

I can't wait until the air suspension makes it to the "regular" A4, A6, A8 and the associated S's in the line.

Net net: 8/10's of an inch lower is NOT insignificant, but this lowering of ride height should not be an issue with respect to winter driving -- well, unless you drive your A4 quattro sport "off road" (which it is not intended to do any more than a non-sport 8/10's inch higher standard suspension model is).
    Are sport suspensions more likely to be damaged after a snowfall than standard suspensions?

And, is 8/10s inch lower really going to put the front (lower body) spoiler at any significant risk?

If you don't want a sport suspension for whatever reason, it is a free country, but I just wonder if the slight body profile differences are at THAT much risk (from snow) to deter the purchase of an option that I (among others) have found to be perhaps the one option that improves the Audi driving experience more than just about anything else the factory offers as an option (well, heated seats and a heated steering wheel might be tied for first place especially on some mornings here in Cincinnati -- but just SOME mornings).
    As some have said previously, the sport package on the 2002 may not be necessary ...it's reported that the standard set-up is more similar to the "old" sport package. I've read many reviews and recommendations that have stated this fact where last year, many recommended the sport package for better handling and overall driving "feel." So I suppose that only a test drive comparison of the 2002 will be the only way to really come to a conclusion whether it's really necessary or not.

Brian-- *lol* yeah, I respectfully disagree ...not a "few inches," if it was a few inches, then yes, I might tend to agree. But last year, the sport package did lower the car 22 mm (significantly less than one inch) but I don't really suspect that this would hamper its handling in snow and ice conditions. But making it more apt to be body damaged by the slightly lower stance? ...as Mark implies, I would really tend to doubt it. So Brian, with 50" of snow, would a car lowered less than an inch really make that much difference? ...I'd probably just stay home! *laughs*

Mark-- The sport seats and sport steering wheel are no longer included in the sport package as they were in the ...um, late 90s?

Oil: I posted a question over on the "Synthetic Oil" board asking about the pros and cons of using 0W-40 compared to 0W-30. This is a response I received from a poster who sounds like he knows oils: brorjace "Synthetic motor oil" Dec 18, 2001 10:09am ...comments?

--'rocco
    OOOPS, I was thinking of the A6 sport package (I have an A6 4.2 w/sport) wherein it does include the sport seats. The "sport steering wheel" is now standard ????

Sorry -- the main point tho is really the part about the 20 or 22mm lowering and its probable "damage" proclivity in "winter."

Sorry for the mis-information on der seats!

The only A4 for 2002 that I have personally driven, did have the sport suspension -- and I liked it, but truth be told, I have not done a back to back comparison, and I don't mean to imply that I have.
    Given the stability of Synthetic oil, I suspect that the amount of “Goo” that is left behind in an engine running Synthetic 0W-40 vs. Synthetic 0W-30 is virtually immeasurable. The fact of the matter is that 0W-40 protects engine parts with a slightly thicker film when hot as compared to the 0W-30. When cold, they are both the same weight, and as such, there is no difference in engine protection.

Unless your engine spends its time, all day, every day north of 5000 rpms, you are not going to distill out any of the viscosity enhancers of the 0W-40 to make any appreciable difference.

FWIW, Mobil 1 0W-40 is going into my 328i this weekend. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I've been quite happy with the Symphony setup. So definitely do a test listen before checking off a box worth roughly $400. I'd put the money in sports seats or toward that set of winter wheels and tires.

Go for the Sport Suspension. just my $.02 ;)

Brian, Thanks for info on your oil experiences.

'Rocco -- I thought I wasn't driving much!!

-Barry

01.5 A4 Avant2.8, 17" Sport pkg, heat, no bose, leatherette (probably would do leather now, but NBD)
    All:
    Thanks for the info guys. I agree that you are probably right, that it wouldn't make much of a difference after seeing the numbers. I just wanted Paul to be aware of his options and know that when we had "Snowplow Harry" continually blocking us in our driveway and no snow blower to get rid of it (since rectified, that is why it hasn't snowed here yet!) we were busting through all this stuff on a regular basis but an inch here or there wouldn't matter when you have a foot of snow dumped on you all at once!
    I am thinking of using the 15" rims for winter and buy a set of 16"-17" for summer and stiffer shocks and roll bars down the road. Oh well, something else to add to the wish list!
    What does everyone think of the new Audi commercials? How about the VW one where he licks the door handle? I see they brought back the one with the key/window feature and the wife... I think Audi should leave well enough alone and keep them without talking, let the cars sell themselves. Gotta run.
    Brian
    Mark, hehe yup, those sports steering wheel (3-spoke) are standard now, although I hope Audi brings back the sports seats option for leatherette seats. I think even in the 2002's you still can't order sport seats with the leatherette.

Brian, yeah I'm going to put 17" wheels/tires into the car after spring.....but that goes after I do the suspension to avoid the SUV look :>

About those Audi commercials, I think that one with the cop driving by that lady and she thought she's going to be pulled over was terrible......so ordinary it seems like a domestic car commercial :> The one that the guy drove the A4 and picks up the pizza is OK.....they should bring the Elvis guy who wrote in the new A4 with the lady who picked him up in her CVT A4.....they show that in Europe and it's funny :>

Billy
    Billy-- I don't think factory sport seats are available anymore, period ...either in cloth, leather or leatherette --is that correct 2002 guys?

Brian-- *heh* Yeah, I saw that Jetta commercial. But I was scratching my head ...what does licking the door handle do? ...disable the remote? I know when you guys tell me I'll go "duh" but I just didn't get it. In general though, I think the VW commercials are more effective than the Audi commercials. The VW ones just seem to stick in your mind because they're so quirky ...not only the last few Jetta commercials but the last two Passat and New Beetle ones also. The A4 pizza one is kind of neat but if I weren't an Audi owner, I might not have paid too much attention to it. And I agree with Billy, the A4 one with the cop would be the same.

Yup, me too... I'm planning on 16" wheels and solid sway bars to start off with. I'll see how that feels and maybe add springs and shocks later if needed. Still debating about what to do about the brake pads, though.

Barry-- Check with me at this time next year ;) ...I'm really going to be trying hard to catch up with the rest of you.

Shipo-- I tend to believe what you're saying about the 0W-40. I've heard that "viscosity enhancer" argument before and was told by Mobil 1 when I called them last year that in the newer lubricants, the enhancers used now do not have the detrimental effect as they did years ago. I don't know if that's necessarily the truth or not. Bror Jace's argument makes sense but so does what you say. I'm still tempted to use 0W-40.

Mark-- Wasn't trying to get nitpicky about what you had posted.*lol* We all know that you are our resident Audi expert here! ;) ...sorry if I came across lookin' like I was trying to dispute what you were saying.

--'rocco
  • nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Thanks for the follow-up on the oil issue, guys. I'm up to my ears in work and holiday frenzy so will probably be out of the loop here for a week or so. Just wanted to wish happy holidays to all....
    Love the VeeDub -- Audi commercials are generally a snooze, and no offense taken about any remark from anyone.

Audi commercials are so easy to forget, the pizza one shows the four rings commin' at ya -- I bet most folks don't associate that with Audi. I know the point that is trying to be made, but it flops. The JOY campaign too was a snooze.

The VW commercials, the car stuck in the tree for example -- WOW. The guy leaping at the grocery cart to save his Jetta saying off screen "I'm OK" another jem.

The last Audi commercials that I can really say I liked were the ones wherein the quattro climbs up a ski jump and the one where an Audi is spinning around and comes to rest between two of its [German] rivals (don't try this at home). The Maxima commercial set to the Who song or other Nissan commercials using SmashMouth -- heck other than the fact that I tired of it, I even like Mazda's Zoom Zoom commercials.

Now that I think about it the Subaru commercials for the WRX are also very good.

Remember the Mercedes spots "Oh sweet mystery of life, at last I found thee?" Featured "Cosmo Kreimer" from the Sinefeld show as I recall -- what a hoot.

Audi needs a new ad agency -- their spots in Europe are much better (and I have seen them in Italy, Germany and the UK).

Now, licking the door handle is -- IMO -- meant to invoke the same sense that one has if someone licks his/her spoon and says (scooping up the food) "wanna bite?" Or, the licking of the Jetta handle was just a way to mark the territory until the man's wife got there.

Very clever, IMO.
    Yeah the VW commercials are good especially the ones for the new Bug.....like they fit in as a curve under the bridges and the domes. Audi needs a new ad firm, that's for sure.

I also like the Mazda zoom zoom commercials.....now whenever they play that song or show that kid, I automatically know it's about Mazda.

Now that I think about it.....anybody saw a BMW commercial lately? Not me. It's just incredible how BMW creates its image.....even people thought the 318i is a fast rocket. LMAO, I beated one pretty bad the other nite on the freeway and I didn't even try hard.

Billy
  • teslamaniateslamania Member Posts: 18
    Boy, those spots on TV didn't do anything for me. The first few times I saw them, it didn't stick in my mind that they were for the Audi A4. Only after I had the car in the driveway, as a new owner, did I realize that the spots were for the Audi A4.
    All:
    Didn't think my ? about ads would generate such interesting responses. The one about the cop pulling up to the side of the car and making his comments? That ad is a copy... Think for a moment. You have seen this before but not for a car. It is identical to the Dockers ad where the lady is driving a subway train, passes another train with a man wearing Dockers. Then she slows down and "catches back?" with him and says "Nice pants!" To me it is the same thing as the Audi ad except he keeps saying "nice car". So much for a creative ad agency!
    I didn't mind the JOY ads, I like the one where they say something about many green lights all together or something. I also liked the Michelle Mouton one where they show all the old rally races and the inside of her old car that was neat but Billy you hit it on the head I really haven't seen a Bimmer ad on TV in a while but everyone is aware of them!? That is the mark of a good agency, one that makes brand recognition stick in our heads. The WRX ad is perfect for that car, and the Volvo ad for the cross country where the man puts the turtle back out to sea fits with the Volvo image nicely. I also like the one ad for Nissan with the Rush music in the background it worked well. I think we all could come up with something better than what they have.... Gotta run.
    Brian
    showed up in a significant amount here in Chicago. Not enough accumulation though to go to an empty parking lot and try out Quattro on snow/ice/slush.

Oh by the way the Mobil/Exxon link to order Mobil 1 0W40 worked pretty well. I just called up one of the numbers in Elgin, a Chicago suburb and they told me it's $25 for a box of 6 qt. Not bad.

The link, again, is:

http://www.exxonmobil.com/channelpartners/

Later Audiphiles,

Billy

Billy-- hmmmm, okay... I went to that link but it looks like it just pertains to wholesale jobbers, etc. But upon navigating around, I found that the Mobil 1 e-Store is now open (last time I checked, it wasn't). The only problem is that it doesn't offer 0W-40. 0W-30 is offered for 6 quarts for $26.99 but they're going to charge me a whopping $11.65 for shipping. So it will be cheaper to just buy 0W-30 here locally. Can you refine that link to show us where we can order 0W-40 online for the price you mentioned?

Brian-- Yes, I'd have to assume that it would be the goal of an ad agency to make commercials that stick in our heads ...VW is doing a good job; I don't know if I can say the same about Audi. I feel that BMW knows that they don't need ads to sell cars ...arogant?, maybe, but it seems to me that it just goes with the whole aura of BMW.

teslamania-- Well, at least you have something that you can directly relate to the ad. Since I have the "old" A4, I feel a bit removed. :-(

Mark-- *heh* okay "duh" ...yeah, I think I get it now. Licking the door handle is like saying "it's mine, don't come any closer." I guess it seemed to me that they were almost zooming in on the remote the salesman was holding in his hand so my immediate reaction was: hmmm, does licking the door handle somehow disable the remote?"

Karen-- Happy holidays to you too! Hurry back, we miss you.

--'rocco
    just like when kids don't want to share a batch of cookies with others, they'll lick them all so no one else would want it.

I want this car, this car is mine, so i'm gonna lick it so you'll not want it...

i guess..

if there's so much confusion on the message of the ad....it's not a good ad. ..even though it sticks in your head! :)
    Jim has the door handle ad correct. The kid has a popsicle and the other kid's looking at it. So he licks the whole thing. End of story.

Audi is definitely dumping huge bucks on advertising, radio spots too. KYW radio here in Philly is THE morning radio or ad market period, bigger than TV and newspaper. But to tell you the truth I can't remember a thing about the ad. I just remember hearing the 'brought to you by Audi' tagline. The tv spots while frequent aren't very inspired.

The ads that I find annoying are for the new Altima. Ugly car, wierd ads, annoying music. But it probably is pretty fast.

And for all of you who don't remember a BMW ad, just remember 'The eyes are the windows to the soul', as that 5 series headlight fills your screen.

I'm not a TV junky but will admit to always being interested in advertising. And the thing that strikes me about Audi's current advertising is a total lack of target market focus or focus in general. Are they trying to sell cars to highway patrolmen? Should women not buy Audis for fear of leering men? Are pizzas better in bad neighborhoods. No focus. They never give a great view of the car or any of its wonderful features. The car actually seems to be an afterthought. I'd be pissed if I were spending the kind of money they must dumping over here.

-Barry
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a A-4, I drove one last week at a local dealer.
    The car has great looks and is a value for the money.
    However, will my right leg ever get used to the center console? I've never driven a car with the console that also serves as a leg rest.
    It might take some getting used to, finanacing is good now so I'll have to make a decision by the end of the month.
    Any comments from the A-4 owners.
    thanks, ron
    (currently driving '93 SHO with 5-speed.