Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• a4_4vincea4_4vince Member Posts: 25
    It's good to hear that you get an Audi loaner for your A6 maintainence. My dealer doesn't provide Audi loaner. Instead, they have pick up services to and from my work place.

I have 2100 miles on my 2002 A4 already and it's still going strong and flawless.

vince...8o)
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    *tsk* ...my dealer gives out Grand Cherokees as service loaners *groans* as they are also a Jeep dealer. Not as bad as it could be but I'd sure rather have an A6 when getting serviced --better than nothing, though.

Vince-- I've been told that AoA will reimburse the dealer for a loaner if warranty work is done that requires the car to be kept overnight. So if you ever have to have warranty work done, be sure to inquire about that. Also, those dealers that do not have a free service loaner program usually have rental fleets which allow them to rent you a car at corporate (or reduced) rates while your car is being serviced.

--'rocco
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I always sign a rental agreement with the dealer -- but the rate is specified as $0.00 -- I have to buy gas and they photocopy my insurance coverage card.

The A4 I had seemed to be held back by the transmission, I was able to put 64 miles on it and tried the tip, the D the S -- I have recently driven both my wifes TT and a 2001 A4 1.8T with manual and they were great.

A couple of visits ago the loaner was an S4 w/tip -- it seemed fine engine/transmission match wise, tho. But I still like the manual better. Perhaps the "flaws" IMO are reduced or virtually eliminated with horsepower and torque, like in the S4 or my 4.2 A6.

I checked the dealer's lot while wating for some paperwork, and there were NO A6's or allroads and no A4 3.0's (at that moment) with manual transmissions. And, I must assume that most of the inventory was NOT for customers but for "stock" -- which is at once refreshing and kinda like watching "an old friend die." Sorry to be so dramatic, but if you have ever seriously driven virtually any of the Audi's in this country over the past 5 - 10 years with a stick shift, you really get hooked on them.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    My friend with the '02 A4 who had his gas gague problem sloved has had the pleasure (or displeasure because he'd rather be in his own car) of sampling numerous Audis that hid dealer has as loaners (My guess id they're lease returns that the delaership can't get rid) including: An '02 A6 3.0Q, A '99 A6 2.8 Front Trak, A '99 or '00 A4 1.8T Q, A '97 A6 2.8Q, & A '96 A6 2.8 Front Trak. The dealership where he bought and services his car also has 2 S4s and 2 TTs in their loaner fleet (He has yet to get one of those). He said the '99 A6 2.8 Front Trak "felt" quicker than the '02 A6 3.0Q. The '97 A6 is loaded to the gills and drives much smoother than the '96 with Front Trak. He really liked the way the older A4 1.8T drove, even though it had the Tiptronic and base suspension. His A4 3.0 has a 6 speed & SP (among other things).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I agree with you. Although I've only driven an '01 S4 and an '02 A4 3.0, the Audi manuals are so easy to drive. The Quattro makes launching the car from a standstill very easy. I'd reccommend it to anybody to buy as their first manual transmission car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Audi guys/gals -

I'm in the market for a new car and have been comparing the A4, S4 and Subaru WRX. I'm aware of the explicit differences with the three: S4 has much higher performance than the A4; the WRX is a little "tinnier" and has less amenities than the Audis; the cost factors; etc. The one thing I'm not sure about is the differences under the skins of the A4 and S4. Specifically:

- Chassis: Is the chassis of the 2002 A4 much different than that of the newest S4? Did they increase torsional regidity?
    - Suspension: I believe the 2002 A4 adopted the S4's suspension for the most part. Need confirmation.

I guess I'm leaning toward the S4 for performance reasons, but I've always been a "state of the art" kind of guy, which is where the appeal of the 2002 A4 lies. If the differences are minor enough, I can overlook the S4's older styling (which I still find attractive anyway), take the performance and be happy with my decision. Basically, I'm looking for differences that would justify A4 vs S4 and vice versa.

Thanks much!
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    I own a 2001.5 A4 1.8T and test drove a 2002 S4 (old body style) and 2002 A4 1.8T with sports suspension (new body style), and also a 2002 WRX. I can definitely feel that the 02 A4 is structurally stronger when it goes over highway expansion cracks and flex joints. The suspension, in my opinion, is harder yet more comfortable than the S4 suspension. And those 17" rims on the 02 A4 sports pkg.....are just gorgeous.

However, when it comes to power, if you can afford the S4, go with it. The S4 and the WRX are 2 totally different animals. The WRX is raw, and the suspension and engine are tuned so that you feel like you are driving a rally car. The turbo sounds awesome, but it's annoying if you are in a conversation with your passengers. The S4 is a more civilized version of power. It's also the ultimate "sleeper".

I'd go for the 02 S4, then 02 A4, then 02 WRX.

(Great to have another Chicagoean!!)

Billy
  • nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Sorry to have been AWOL from these boards for so long; I've really been swamped with work.

Anyway...has anybody had a problem with creaking in the steering column? I'm hearing that occasionally when I turn the steering wheel on my 2001.5 1.8T Tiptronic. It isn't loud, and it doesn't happen very often, but I didn't know whether it was something I should be concerned about.
  • jlt75jlt75 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 02 Audi A4 last week, and I love it.. I really looked for a long time at Audi's and other cars such as the Passat, Highlanders, Saab 9-5, and LandRovers. Im really glad I choose the Audi... I love it and look forward to driving it every day!
  • jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
    or at least a varied set of cars. a passat or a highlander, an audi or a landrover, or maybe a saab 9-5? :)
    good decision.
  • jagboyxkrjagboyxkr Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone else seen the new A4 convertible? It resembles the style of the new A4 sedan, but there are noticeable differences in the body panels besides having no fixed roof. Even the interior is different. I was wondering if Audi is planning to replace the style of the new A4 sedans built in the next few years with body panels that are closer to those of the convertible, or if they want to keep the designs and styles separate. The cost of production would be higher to have the cars not share components, and most other companies have their sedan and the convertible based off of it share many body panels to cut costs. The A4 sedan and convertible don't even share bumper panels or paint! Even the headlights and taillights are different units on each design. Also, is Audi planning a coupe version of the new A4? And, will the new S4 be based off of the new A4 sedan or the coupe/convertible? I'd hate to buy a brand new 2002 A4 sedan and find out that Audi is replacing the body panels of the 2003 or 2004 A4 sedan with ones that are the same as the new convertible's.
    I would doubt if Audi would replace body panels on the 2003 or 2004 sedan that soon. The older A4 bodystyle lasted from 96 to 01 here in US.

I think the most expensive car component is the chassis. I believe the convertible shares that with the sedan. Bodypanels are just cosmetic fixes and they are not that expensive. Just like the Accord coupe and sedan which look different on the outside but are actually sharing the same chassis. The new S4 definitely bases itself on the sedan. I would think Audi will do the same thing as the 00 to 02 S4, which means they will drop a more powerful powerplant (currently most likely a 4.2L NA V8, but all of us would like to see a 2.9L twin-turbo V6), and put some more aggressive body panels and wheels and maybe a lip spoiler on it. It better beats the new M3's 333hp.....and would it be nice if the convertible can have the new S4 engine.....an S4 convertible.....mmmmmm is AoA listening????

Billy
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Heard a rumor Audi is introducing a Constantly Variable Transmission in one of their vehicles. Anybody know any specifics about this. It is an old idea but to date no one has been able to design one that will work with a relatively powerful engine. Lots of potential advantages-essentially a direct drive automatic-really cool if it works. Hats to Audi/VW or whomever if they have pulled this one off.
  • gooniesgoonies Member Posts: 24
    how much lower does the sports equipped a4 sit compared to the non sports? does quattro make a difference? thanks
  • visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    bburton: CVT is already here. It is available as the auto transmission for the Front-Trak (ie. fwd) new Audi A4's and A6's. Audi's next move is to integrate CVT with its Quattro.

goonies: answers: 3/4 inch; yes, big difference. Sales stats show that over 90% of A4's in North America are sold with Quattro. Quattro itself defines Audi.
    I think you want to know if vehicles with Quattro has a lowered suspension vs non Quattro. No it makes no difference in height, at least not the published figures, if you ignore the additional weight of Quattro exert on the suspension. I know BMW 3 series equipped with AWD xi rides higher than the RWD siblings.

Billy
    I picked up the new European Car magazine today -- the issue is chock full of Audi and VW information.

Including this:

There is a 265HP Audi 4 cylinder engine that will be put into the new (2003) TT. Also there was a mention of a new 300 HP V6 that will be in the upcoming "S4" and will soon be made available for the TT. British CAR magazine says new S4 will have available a 340 HP V8, presumablly the same one that is in the S6 Avant here in the US.

When I see the word available, I get excited, 'cause as much as I am lusting for more HP and torque, I think a 300HP V6 in a new A4 body with appropriate suspension bits would be better balanced and, I assume, would have the same early-on torque as the current 2.7T. The 4.2 IMHO is Audi's most versitile engine, but only when it is twin turbo'd. In the US, an up-powered V6 (2.9T) in an A4 would be my choice if there are options available between the V6 and V8 -- as I said, I would love an S4 and an S4+ with the differentiation being the # of cylinders.

And, wouldn't it be just dandy if the 225HP 1.8T or the purported 2.0T makes its way into the A4?

The new direction I read about in both the newest CAR and European Car magazine for Audi is incredible.

Even the possible (short term) VW's with the W8 engine are at the very least "interesting" as Mr. Spock used to say.

And BTW if you are looking for what's up with the Audi and VW product line, effective March 2002, check out the British magazine CAR (March 2002).
  • gooniesgoonies Member Posts: 24
    thanks for the replies visordoc n lauk0dg. lauk got what i meant on my question, though. the a4 is a great ride. i will be joining you guys soon. im waiting to see if all the speculation of new engines or upgrades plus painted lowers ect, ect. will be available next year.
  • nicksdnicksd Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,

Lately I've been thinking of buying a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T. I have a few questions though, that I was hoping some of you might be able to help with. Here they are:

1.) I want to get the sports suspension, but I'm worried about the tires. I live in Southern California so 99% of the time I won't be in snow but there will be times I'll want to drive in the mountains and it is possible I'll be in the snow. Is it possible to get the sport package with all-weather tires or is that not recommended?

2.) I like the fact that the base stereo comes with an in-dash 6-CD changer. I like good quality audio, however, and was wondering if the Bose is worth the extra $600. How is the stock stereo? If I upgrade to the Bose, will it still have the 6-CD changer?

3.) When will information on the 2003 A4's come out? Does anyone think there will be any substantial differences in the 2003 A4 that would be worth waiting for rather than buying a 2002 this summer?

4.) I live in San Diego, CA. Anyone have experience with Audi dealers around here? If so, please let me know any suggestions.

Thanks!
  • lucas7lucas7 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a A4 3.0 since my lease is up. I am having difficulties deciding on wheather to get the the 3.0 quattro manual vs. 3.0 CVT (continous variable? transmission). I have heard both pro and cons for either choice. Btw, I am not interested in the tiptronic due to the higher cost, higher fuel consumption and slower acceleration.

If I get the 3.0 with the CVT, the resale value may be lower, since it does not have quattro.

If I get the 3.0 with quattro and 6-speed manual it may be hard to sell, since the majority of drivers these days prefer automatic, plus manual may get old if one gets stuck in traffic often.

I am also wondering if the CVT is as much fun to drive as the quattro 6-speed?

Thanks for your responses and opinions,
    Luca7
    nicksd...get the sport suspension. If you really think you'll need tires for when you go skiing, then wait the 20,000 miles for the and buy high performance all season tires (some consider this an oxymoron, but they are made). I can't make a statement on the bose vs. base stereo, but a friend of mine has the Bose and it is great! Wait for 2003? The A4 as it is was just introduced in October of this year as a brand new model. changes for 2003 will be minimal if any (I'm sure markincinncinati will correct me if I'm wrong).

lucas...Buy the car for yourself, not someone else 5 years down the road. If you're concerned with resale values, then lease. No matter which car you get, you'll never get what you think its worth when it is time to sell it (unless it is an M car or AMG car). I highly recommend the 3.0 with Quattro and a 6 speed. From the few times I've driven my friend's car configured like that it has been quite enjoyable. The stick is easy to drive, the car with Quattro makes it easy to launch.

• nicksdnicksd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. Does your friends Bose still have the in-dash 6-CD changer? Also, with the tires that come with the sport package is it possible to use them in snow conditions at all?
  • jagboyxkrjagboyxkr Member Posts: 53
    Is Audi going to discontinue the 1.8T engine and replace it with a 2.0T?
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2001 A4 1.8T with the 5-speed manual transmission (26.8K miles). I have been experiencing a worsening problem with second gear and have now taken it to the dealer for repair. It balks going into gear, and sometimes grinds ever so slightly. Additionally, the gear shifter vibrates excessively in second gear and none in the other gears. Lastly, and more curiously, it frequently pops out of second gear when I'm depressing the clutch to shift to third. What's causing this? I've had lots of problems with the car thus far and I'm worried that I'll get fed some B.S. answer.

Also, does anyone have a problem with rough idiling? They had to take the engine apart to replace the camshaft adjuster in October, and since then it is ocassionally rough at idle. The dealer "decarbonized" the engine, which seemed to help some. I've been using fuel injector cleaner which helps some, too.

On a positive note, my stereo finally came after a six month wait... Has anyone else had to get a new stereo because it blanks out, etc.?

Oh, and NITPICKER, one of the loaner A4's I was given had a creaky steering column. I don't know what caused it, but it was creaky and actually felt different than my car. Maybe that's because I have the sport pkg and that car didn't; I'm not sure.

Anyway, beyond those reliability problems (and others not listed) I like the car. It's just too bad mine is such a piece of junk.

Thanks!
  • bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    OK, all, I will be taking delivery on my Avant in just 2 months now. I will be leasing the car, and I am second guessing myself on how long to make the lease.

My first impulse was to go 48 months and take full advantage of slightly lower monthlies plus the full scope of the warranty and free maintenance. However, over the last few weeks, I'm wondering if a shorter term might be better. My thinking is 1) assuming I stay with Audi, there are some neat things like CVT with quattro and spunkier powerplants on the way, 2) I may need something larger than the A4 as my kids get bigger, and 3) part of the reason I lease is that I seem to get bored with cars easily, although neither of my last two rides (an ML320 and a first-generation Altima) have done much to stir the soul.

So, what does this learned group think? I will not be putting any money down, and the payment will be manageable either way.

Rick
    No matter if you opt for Bose or non Bose, the in-dash 6CD changer is standard (sooo jealous). I'd say go with the sports pkg. However, those high performance tires are not for snow conditions. The particles literally freeze up and you won't get enough traction. I'd get dedicated snow tires on 15" steel wheels just for the few trips you go up to the mountains. I know what you are saying though.....I live in Chicago and I'm RIGHT NOW in LA for business and dang, why do I live in Chicago? Here I can have 18" rims with high perf tires running around with no problems......

Lancel99, I got 16.7k miles on my 2001.5 A4 1.8T. The infamous 2nd gear grind had been giving me some scary gear grinding for 3 or 4 times, but now as long as I give it some patience it's not that difficult to put it in 2nd gear. It's nothing like Honda smooth, but it's doable. Good luck with yours!

Mark, dang, 265hp on the TT??? That thing will FLY!!!!

Billy
    as laukOdg stated, the 6 disc in dash changer is standard on the 3.0. As for the Sport Package Tires, they're worthless not only in snow, but also in any conditions lower than 40 degrees. There's a short piece on Summer Tires in this month's MOTOR TREND. Like I said before, you can either switch to High perfromance all season tires from the get go, switch to the high performance all seasons when your stock rubber wears out, or for the XX days a year you go skiing/snowboarding, get one of your friends to drive or rent an SUV for the day!

lauOdg...I don't think he'd need a dedicated set of 15" wheels and winter tires in Southern California.

• dej0dej0 Member Posts: 36
    nicksd - I live in NC, and have the sports package with summer sports on them year round. We get maybe one snowfall a year here, including 10 inches in January. Of course, since they do not plow, it hangs around for a week or so. When there is snow on the ground, I simply slow down. I know that without snow tires I cannot expect nearly the same performance, so I don't even try. I putz along the road, keep big spaces in front of me, don't run high rpms and keep shifting to only places where I am going in a straight line. If you take it easy, you will likely be fine.

lucas - Definately go with the 3.0 quattro with the 6 speed. I ordered one to replace my 1.8T in january. The dealer cannot keep these things on the lot, I doubt you will experience any trouble reselling it. I bet you will enjoy it much more. Have you driven them? I also agree with nyccarguy, get what you want.

Ned
    I have been reading and reporting and wondering what is up with the new Audi's under the hood.

The car magazines, most notably European Car and the British Car magazine have been writing about what's up at the VW group now that Piech is no longer the top executive.

Much has been written, and the only article that I believe (mostly) is the one that contains the actual interview with the new top executive, who is called (affectionately, I presume) BP.

BP claims that the market is having trouble differentiating Audi from VW and that as part of a master plan this will stop -- the first tap on the brakes will actually happen so says BP in calendar 2003 (which will cover model years 2003 and 2004 from both divisions).

Audi will move up market in sportiness and price -- and over time away from VW.

VW will move up market in "Classic Cars" and price -- and over time away from Audi.

The first such moves, IMO, do just the opposite, at least in the US -- and that is the production of the Passat W8, which competes in price with the A4 3.0 quattro and in size with the A6.

The second move is even more perplexing to me in that the VW Phaeton will come out just about 12 months from now at $71,000+ -- right in the neighborhood of the Audi A8.

Both the top class cars will use W12 engines.

Meanwhile, Audi will -- so says BP -- create a stronger sporting identity with more powerful engines, many based on the 4.2, most "cranked" up via turboing.

For 2003, in the A4, in the US, I think it is safe to say that the base HP rating of the 1.8T if it survives into the 2003 model year will be stated at 180HP -- just like the TT and some of the VW's already state.

Moveover, it is not beyond the pale that the RUMORED 2.0T engine will become the Audi (US) base engine and that it will have a broad application and a broad tune -- such is the 1.8T today which can be stated as 150HP 170HP 180HP and 225HP -- the 2.0T can with ease, go to 265HP so says EC magazine. And they predict that the TT will soon have the 300 HP version of the 2.9T put under its hood.

Who knows.

I would only leave it at the minimum, IMO, for Audi to bump the 1.8T up or out, add an S4 and figure out what to do with what could be the most anemic engine -- the 3.0 V6. I mean who amongst us would take a 220 HP V6 when a 245HP 2.0T will out gun it?

What do you think?
  • philltraffaphilltraffa Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I am moving to philly the next month. Do any of you guys live around the area? Which dealer do you recommend? any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

phill
  • aegus1aegus1 Member Posts: 29
    Ed,

I bought at Don Rosen Imports (Conshohocken). I'm in the western suburbs, so I had them and YBH Audi in Edgemont to consider.

I thought I got a fair deal at Rosen (a little less than 3% over on an order).

http://www.donrosenaudi.com

I just had the car in for it's first service. Nothing occurred to turn me off. We currently have a drought going on here, so they couldn't do the wash. Funny, all the cars on the lot looked really clean though ;)

-Barry

What is up with the town hall? Every time I click on, it requires my userid and password! And I have requested auto log in.

This is a pain in the butt.
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the reply...

The infamous 2nd gear grind? Is this something numerous people have a problem with? Mine pops out of gear, too, when I depress the clutch to upshift to 3rd. Is this common, too?

The dealer couldn't "reproduce" the problem, even after I took the mechanic on a ride and I had the problem with him in the car. I just hate that... They think it's the synchronizers? and will have to take the transmission apart. Should I let them do this? After they took my engine apart it has never run properly.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    In 1982 I bought a new Audi Quattro, yes, THE original Quattro. Within 2000 miles my car developed a second gear grind, with the occasional pop out of gear. Audi promptly replaced the transmission with a new unit, and then tore down my original. It turned out that the second gear syncro was all but destroyed, I never did find out whether it was a design problem or a bad syncro from the factory. That said, I never had another problem with the new transmission.

One of the things that I noticed prior to the fix was that on REAL cold mornings (I lived in Chicago then), I could make it all the way to the local freeway before the tranny lube warmed up enough to allow the problem to occur. So, for those of y'all who are currently having the problem, does it only happen when the car is warmed up?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Yeah the 2nd gear problem does exist in quite a number of AudiWorlders' A4's. Try a search over at AudiWorld or ask a question about the 2nd gear grind and you will get tons of answers. Yes it could be the synchronizers that stopped you from putting the car in 2nd gear, but again it's most pronounced in 2nd gear.

As Shipo pointed out, yeah it does help out quite a lot after the car is warmed up. Just take it easy before the car is warmed up.....

Billy
  • philltraffaphilltraffa Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the link,

It seems to be pretty near Manayunk (that's the place I will be staying).

I already have an A4 (2001.5qmsc), I just wanted to check where to take the car for oil changes and stuff. My current dealer here in Naperville (Continental Audi) was 5/5 in everything and I want it to continue like that :)
  • stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    I'm from Ingolstadt/Germany and read your post about the Audi-news you've read in some magazines.
    First of all I've to say, that I don't know anything about Audi but I am also very interested in new models and changes. But I haven't heard anything about a new 2.0T or even a new 2.9T. The TT will definetely get more hp, but only with the 1.8T which develops around 250hp in this version.
    The new S4 will get the 4.2 V8 with 300-340 hp (not sure yet) and no 2.9T that's for sure! At least in nearer future.

Greetings from Germany
  • schwitzer1schwitzer1 Member Posts: 64
    You get tires on the sport package which are designed for more aggressive driving. They have handling characteristics that make the car feel more secure at any speed. All-Season tires give up some of that performance in exchange for self-cleaning tread (that gets the snow out of the cracks in the tires) and additional siping.
    I run my OEM Dunlop SP 8000's in the spring through fall, and I have Blizzak WS-13's as dedicated snow tires for winter. Even with Quattro, you'll need to have some kind of tire change to be safe in real snow.

IndyAudiLouie
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major midwestern newspaper is interested in speaking with folks who have anecdotes and opinions on rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive in winter driving conditions.
    We're also looking for people who recently switched one way or the other and what they like/dislike about what they're driving now.
    If you are interested in participating, please provide your city/state of residence and your daytime phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than March 20, 2002.
    Thanks as always,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hello Hermann -- thanks for your update, I would say that your location makes you perhaps more reliable than the magazines. But, I will add a couple of things that still confuse me.

In 2000 when I was in Ingolstadt Germany and Seefeld Austria for our annual visit to the Audi holy land, I mentioned that I had previously owned an A8 (a 1997 quattro). And that it came with a 5spd non-Tiptronic automatic transmission. The Audi employees while they were not in any way rude, were in disbelief. They were confident that there were A8's produced with 4spd autos and 5 spd Tiptronics and that no such version of an A8 was ever commercially produced.

I had one, I am 100% certain.

Other apparently "non-European" market configurations of Audi cars are in some cases unknown, as I have chatted each year with Audi representatives. Recently, the Audi executive who ate lunch with us told a group of American quattro club members that the RS4 Avant would be sold in the US (this was within the past 2 years, as I recall). Not gonna happen, at least so far.

Special ordering cars with options such as leather in an A4 1.8T was said, by Audi employees, to be "sure no problem." Try it. Also at the Audi presentation center in Ingolstadt there was one example of virtually every Audi for sale on the "showroom" floor -- they were all in Silver with a "camel" leather interior -- they were all stunning. This combination is not available -- but Silver paint with (screaming) yellow (vanilla) was made a legitimate combination here in the US by AoA. What were they thinking, yechh!

My point is that I have seen cars and combinations and permutations there that don't make it here. And, I have owned a car here that Audi employees didn't even know was made.

The magazines which tout "spy" photos and "factory sources" that I read with some frequency are European Car, CAR, Car and Driver, Road and Track and Audi. I also browse other British car magazines and web sites from time to time, and as my wife and I travel to Europe quite frequently, I often "load up" on European only magazines especially if they have articles and pictures of my favorite car mfg products (Audi, of course).

Car and Driver, in a "sidebar" article within the last few months mentioned the "Cosworth engineered" 2.9T, the twin turbod 4.2, and a ZF 6spd Tiptronic (not CVT) that will make its debut (so says the article, as if it is a press release) on the next A8 (the transmission is similar to the new BMW 7 series, with Audi software of course).

The web site www.audiworld.com has buried within its labrynth of threads, URL's with spy photos of upcoming cars -- recently the slightly modified TT was shown "testing on a track in Germany and the caption was something like "shown here with slightly modified front end and boasting a 245HP 2.0T. Then in the European Car magazine that was current as of March 1, another picture of the TT, this time with a caption discussing 265HP (from a 4 cylinder) and a plan to put the turbocharged V6 engine from the "upcoming S4" (yielding 300HP) in it.

I read this stuff, I browse the web, I visit the Audi factory on a regular basis -- none of which makes me an expert on "what's coming out." Yet, it is at least worth noting that there is at least consistancy in some of these "rumors" and some tiny reason to give them some credence as they come from sources that "do this for a living" -- unlike me, who does it as an avocation.

The British magazines seem to support the notion of a 4.2 non turbod S4 in the current A4 body (albeit with some "S4" distinction).

This speculation is fun to read, to write and to "discuss" on this forum.

We'll probably find that there is some truth to everything we have "uncovered." The fact that a 2.9T engine exists at least "on a test bench" would not be too far fetched. The probability of its actually going into production and for sale in the US -- is anybody's guess. And what we see as logical from our perspective, may not be part of the grand plan.

My guess, as I stated, is that the 1.8T engine (assuming that it is still going to be the "standard bearer") will be rated in Audi products, soon, at no less than 180HP, if for no other reason than to make certain that VW does not have a product in the US market with a 1.8T engine that, on paper at least, has "bigger and better" numbers.

The 2.0T information has been repeated, by me (and others), not as fact, but as extrapolation (and some would say, including me) and possibly rumor. But this forum is the place for such speculation and discussion.

I am pumped about the next year or two within the Audi lineup -- horsepower and torque "wars" are being waged, and we consumers will be the winner.

I want a 2.9T S4 -- and I know that just 'cause I want it does not mean it will happen.

Hermann -- keep us posted since you actually can go to the holy land probably any time you want (since you live there)!
  • stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    First of all, not every Audi-employee knows everything about Audi! But it seems confusing: A A8 without tiptronic but with standard auto-transmission? That's also new to me! I had a '96 A8 with manual transmission. It was the 2.8-V6. Which engine had your A8?

Special options: In my opinion Audi has done - and still does - some market research to look for the most popular options, colour-combinations, etc...! I know those silver/camel-combinations being shown in the representation-center in Ingolstadt! But on most models this combination is also a special order you have to place on the QUATTRO GmbH. They make you everything with your car. You can have every colour you wish (for example you can order a pink Audi A6 with bright green Leather! For EXTRA money! And for this little company (Quattro gmbH) it's possible to satisfy also the american needs, I guess.
    Another example: From what I've heard, there are no leaher, nav and some other things available in A4 1.8T?! Ok, Audi says, there is no need in America (And I'm sure, there has been research) for those combinations and/or "why offer it in the 1.8T? people who want comfort-features take the 3.0!" There will always be some people who want special options but then it would get too expensive for Audi to produce. I know, European and US cars are produced on the same line, but U.S. cars are running in a special program!
  • finklejagfinklejag Member Posts: 12
    Hello guys

I ordered a 2002 A4 1.8T 5speed with the xenon,bose,heated seats,sports sus,and the premium pkg on feb 2 from sunset imports in beaverton oregon.Dolphin grey with ebony leatherette.This car makes my mouth water!I payed MSRP for it.$31,700.I am not too happy about that.It is kind of hard when there is only two audi dealerships in oregon.Ther is one in bend,It is on the other side of the casades.I gave them $1,000 deposit to order it.It should be here in early may.The reason i am posting a message is i am having second thoughts about buying it.Having to wait three months to get it sucks.When i read the message boards about the problems the A4 has,I can't wonder if that is going to happen to me.All the reports in auto mags are 50-50 in what there think about audi's.A lot of them say they have reliability problems.I had a 2000 golf 1.8T and the maf sensor went.I know that is a big problem with the 1.8T.Then again the 1.8T is one of the best motors by wards.I still have two months to make my mine up.If you guys can convince me,that would help.

10k_oregon is your wifes durango white.I think i saw you at sunset when i was there.

Danke und Auf Wiedersehen
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase. I also bought from Sunset Imports. I didn't do too well on the pricing since they are the only game in town. But the wait was worth it. Took delivery on Jan 31 and it's been flawless after 2500 miles. The turbo engine is so smooth and the build quality is excellent.

Before I decided to go with the A4 I had the same thoughts as you are having now regarding the reliability issues. Previously driving a trouble-free 97 Corolla, I had doubts in my mind too. I wouldn't say I gambled on this but I thought with a strong warranty it's definitely worth a try. Plus, like you said, this car makes my mouth water. I really love it. This alone is enough to sway me for an easy decision. And I think at this point it's paying off. I am enjoying every minutes of driving it.

Mark: Should the 2.0T be fitted into the later A4s, I would seriously consider trading in my current one for it....hehhe...

vince...8o)
    My 1997 Audi A8 with a 4.2 300 HP V8 was mated to a 5spd non-Tiptronic transmission.

You are correct, you cannot buy an Audi A4 1.8T with leather, power seats, sat navigation. You are "forced" to buy a 3.0 V6 for such features.

We generally cannot get manual transmissions on most Audis even though they are on the German and British "konfigurators" of Audi web sites in those countries.

The Audi A6 3.0V6 is at least $5,000 more than the new Passat W8 -- and while I would agree that the Passat is slightly smaller than an A6, it is also slightly larger than an A4.

In the US, the Passat W8 will cost $37,900 and the A4 3.0 with many options will cost over $39,000. I am wondering if you think that it is possible that the marketing of these three cars in the US will cause confusion in "new customers" minds.

I find myself, so far, able to differentiate between Audis and VW's and prefer Audi's to VW's -- but the Passat W8 and Phaeton seem to be in the same market segment as the Audi A4, A6 and A8 respectively.

I would think, making more options available (e.g., leather, sat nav, parktronic) on the A4 1.8T would mean more dollars in Audi's pocket -- if I wanted leather and was willing to pay for it, but did not want an V6 I should be able to buy.
  • samuel70samuel70 Member Posts: 17
    I am considering buying an A4...I notice several posts about people's dislike for the :"finish" in the lower quarter panel, in fact all around the car...I was sitting a traffic light and noticed a 3.0 and it had body paint all the way down...can anyone tell me if this is std now did audi change the paint process or did the customer have the dealer paint it......have not had time to go the local dealer and check it out...
    I believe that the lower of the A4 3.0 you saw was aftermarket painted. As far as I know Audi has not been painting the lower on the 2002 A4. Not sure if you could special order it from Audi that way too...

vince...8o)
  • yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    It has been almost 5 years ever since I took delivery of my silver 1997 A4 1.8T Quattro 5 speed with sport package and moonroof. Then I put on Avangarde side skirts, painted front and rear bottoms, tinted the windows, put on Alpine head unit with 12 disc CD changer in the trunk. My car was the BEST looking A4 for a while until people started noticing A4 and A4 became very popular. But, still my A4 is one of the best looking. I didn't have one accident thanks to the Quattro's stickiness to the road and the exceptional brakes. Thanks to the loaners, I took long day/overnight trips every 6 months. (I am sure the car rental companies were not happy about the milege I put on to their fleet.) Here are the pros and cons of this car:

Pros:
    * Quattro - sure handling and good brakes
    * Details to exterior and interior except the cup holders
    * Nice firm seats and material
    Cons:
    * Cup holders
    * Engine - My turbo had 150hp and had decent acceleration but after about 4 years, power has been reduced dramatically and I must downshift to speed up or for passing
    * Brake squeal and dust
    * Remote - works only near the car
    My only problems were the warning chime system quitting and a whining noise from the water cooler. But other than that I love my car.

Now I am considering to change my car to something new. I am narrowing down my choices to new A4 1.8T, BMW 325Ci or 330Ci (depends how much I can sell my car for), and Infiniti G35. I sat on the new A4 the other day and I noticed the differences b/w mine and the new one. I will just say that 95% of the things are nicer in the new A4. Cupholders still need to be worked on. I wanted to get a coupe for my next car and was waiting for A4 coupe. But I am not hearing it's coming soon. Anyone know of any news about A4 coupe? I still need to check out the coupe version of G35 which comes out in the fall. I am not in a rush to get a new car so I will wait and see. I will keep you posted about my decision or any other news about my car. Thanks for reading.
  • tan7tan7 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my Audi A4 1.8T last sept. and on my service manual my Oil change is due march 3 but I only have 2695 miles on it.I called the dealer for service and I was told that they can't do it yet 'coz the miles is still too low. I'm confuse 'coz I thought its every 5 months or 5,000 miles which ever come first.I need help here. thanx
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Welcome to the board, and i see you also have a Alfa 156 , I promise not to get off Audi track :) but how are u liking it ?

DL