Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro

Comments

• coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    That is the price we pay for horsepower. The 1992 Astro was 165 Hp with throttle body injection. The 2002 is 195 HP with sequential port injection. Get's about 3 mpg less mileage. With reasonable or careful driving habits the mileage should be 17 in town and 21 on the open road at 70 to 75 mph.

The 3.73 will get better mileage in stop and go driving but probably about 1 mpg less on the highway. But remember you get 500 lbs. increased towing capacity with the 3.73 gears. 5400 vs 4900.

Buy a boat or RV and enjoy the increased grunt.
  • jody3jody3 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know how to remove the armrests of the front seats of a '96? I think the technique varies from year to year.

Thanks,
    Jody
  • iwhiteyiwhitey Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I just purchased a used 1999 AWD Astro LS with 57,000 miles on it from a dealer in PA. It was originally used by a water authority somewhere around there and it even came with the functioning yellow bubble light on top (my kids HATE it). I got them to install a class 3 hitch and a flat 4 wiring harness and paid $6350 for everything. I have never owned an Astro before and this forum has been very helpful, but I have a few questions for those of you with more experience with these.

1 - How do I tell what differential I have?
    2 - Is the AWD full time or part time?
    3 - I have a whining sound that seems to be coming from the power steering unit. It's pretty much constant and gets worse when I turn the wheels. The dealer said that almost every Astro he gets has this noise. I also asked a friend of mine whose owned two Astro's about this and he said both of his were noisy as well. Has anyone else had this happen?
    4 - I can hear a squeaking noise when I'm driving. It's not loud but I can still hear it. I'm thinking it's either the front brake(s) or a belt. Has there been caliper and/or serpentine belt problems with these?
    5 - The front brakes squeal a bit when I stop. I think I read somewhere that the Astro's tended to do that due to brake dust. Any opinions?
    6 - Speaking of brakes, are the front rotors on these the kind that include the hub assembly? How difficult are they to replace?
    7 - Probably due to it's past use, the drivers door seems to have "dropped" and must be slammed to close it. I noticed that the latch mechanism on the door is pretty torn up. How difficult is it to replace the mechanism and realign the door?

Sorry about all the questions, but I haven't found a better place to ask.

I've only had the van for 5 days, but I really like it already. Besides, for $6350, how could I go wrong?
  • skipper4skipper4 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1996 Astro AWD with 150,000 miles when I go around corners the inside wheel all of a sudden skips/slips to try and keep up with the outside wheel. What is the most likely explanation? I have a well-equipped garage; I do most of my own work i.e. rear wheel bearings, water pump, alternator and such. What parts would I need to repair this problem? Are there any special specs like clearances?
  • skipper4skipper4 Member Posts: 6
    Mine Astro window problem was caused by a broken blue wire inside of the black wire covering/rubber at the door hinging area.
  • monagomonago Member Posts: 1
    i just had to replace my o2 sensor bank one and i am hoping that i should pass inspction , my question is how long do they last i have a 1997 astro van LT editon bought it off a priviate owner has 132,000 miles on it thanx :)
  • motoleonmotoleon Member Posts: 1
    Own a 1997 Gmc Safari. The fuel pump has always been a bit noisy but it seems to be getting worse (buzzing/humming sound). Is this a sign of the end or is it considered "normal" for this model?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    The fuel pump on our 1996 Astro sounded normal before it died, so I don't know if you should be worried.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    It's just that electric pump being mounted so close under the floor. Everytime I go in for an oil change (there's usually a new 17-19 year old) the "your pump sounds like it's going out" followed by the service writer telling me not to worry, they all do that.

Monago, your O2 sensor is subject to stop and go traffic vs. open highway driving. Mine never sits at idle for longer than 2 minutes so it stays pretty clean. Mileage won't tell you as I have 160K on mine.
  • eddie_deineddie_dein Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 astro that had the same problem, ended up being the drivers doors lock switch was sticking. i noticed the relays clicking one day when i hit a bump. pulled the switches never went dead again. then replaced
  • toyinaroundtoyinaround Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I'm hopeing you can help me out. My mom has a 2000 Astro AWD and the starter died yesterday so we tow it out to my place and R&R it and now it rolls over fine but no fire? Now the tow vehicle was a stick-shift and at times the ride got pretty jerky and i'm wondering if anyone knows if these have a fuel cut-off switch? Thanks
  • danapdanap Member Posts: 1
    Hi Phil:

I have good success using the heavy duty rotors from CarQuest on my 2000 Astro.
    This is after 2 previous sets of rotors. The stock ones are just too thin.
    Thanks!, Good Luck
    Dana
  • dkelly23dkelly23 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where I can download a schematic for my 02 Safari at?
  • gmcsafari74gmcsafari74 Member Posts: 2
    IT TURNS OVER FINE BUT WILL NOT START. IT WILL SOUND LIKE IT'S ABOUT TO START BUT JUST FIRES A FEW TIMES LIKE IT'S ONLY RUNNING ON A FEW CYLINDERS. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Please do not post in ALL CAPS. It is difficult to read and people think you are are yelling at them.
  • roadieroadie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 safari that needs a new ignition coil. How does this thing come out ? Any help would be greatly apppreciated.
    Thanx :confuse:
  • melftheelfmelftheelf Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem. Passenger door locks, windows, mirror all went. The passenger door will not work at all if the wiring within the door boot is broken even if the wire in the boot on the passenger side isn't broken the master switch is in the drivers door any wire broken in that boot will disrupt everything else. Open your doors look where the hinges are you should see a rubber type boot. You will need to cut this to see inside just slice it enough to open it to work you want to be able to tape it back together recommend wide electrical tape it may look a little tacky when your done but not to bad. hopefully the wire will be enough to grab. I took wire cut into about 3" long trimmed to ends and re wired it to give it some length to open without coming apart i then twisted them and tape them together if your good at it or have down time i suggest using solder or something like that don't use those colored wire connectors if you end up re connecting the wires those connectors will tape up space in the boot and might make it a problem to close the door. Hope this helps. You should check both doors but start with the one that has the problem then test to see if it is fixed if not check the other one
  • dcswartzdcswartz Member Posts: 1
    I am not familiar with your engine, but other engines have had bad ignition capacitors that can cause your kind of symptoms.
    If it is an 03, shouldn't it be covered under warranty? Have GM fix it.
  • pelemaniapelemania Member Posts: 1
    I have electricity problem in my safari (1993) :cry:
    I know that the problem is from my broken electric door, anyone knows if there is a fuse for the electric door and where can i fined it..???

tnx for all helpers :blush:
  • jokerdaytonjokerdayton Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A [95] ASTRO THE FUEL PUMP KEEPS GOING OUT I REPLACE IT AND IT GOES OUT ,CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE :mad:
    rastro, you have a vacuum hose off or leaking. Many times this occurs at the vacuum canister connection. The dealer pulled one hose off my 97 when doing some injector work and I had to go back and have them replace it. The vacuum routing or switching is done through an electro controller module.

jokerdayton, the fuel pump goes out due to overheating either due to running less than a quarter tank or flow restriction. I try and not run a fuel level less than a quarter tank. And turn off the caps as it makes it difficult for us old folks to read..
  • gmcsafari74gmcsafari74 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about the caps on my previous post. It has 53k on it so the warranty is out. It will not start when it is raining, when it's dry out it's fine. I'm sure it's electrical but not sure where to start. Thanks in advance
  • one87zukone87zuk Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2000 Safari with Electric Locks and a remote. The problem is the two front door locks. When you try to lock the doors with the door lock switch. Both locks will wiggle a little, but nothing happens. You can hear what sounds like a relay clicking under the dash, but I can't seen to narrow down its location. I think it is under the steering column.

Does anyone have any ideas on a cause? Also the location of the relay (or what ever it might be?)?

one87zuk
    I need to wire up a trailer plug and electric brakes to my 2000 Safari.

Can anyone tell me what wires in the coiled up harness back by the jack go to (e.g. right turn=white, left turn=orange, etc.)?

Are the Safari's wired for trailer brakes? Doesn't really matter. I will wire them in otherwise.

one87zuk
    With the engine running and you tap lock three or four times and the doors eventually lock, then the linkage needs lubrication. My sliding door lock does this now.

I don't remember all about the trailer wiring bundle, but when you purchase the heavy duty 7 wire plug it will have the standard wire color code. You will have to run wires from the brake controller you purchase. Also it has to be connected to the brake light switch for activation. Just follow the directions. But use real wire splice sleeves instead of the intermittent trouble prone squeeze clips that cut through the insulation.
  • jgd65jgd65 Member Posts: 7
    While the subject of wires near the jack is fresh....My 93 Astro has one....has a little black box plugged into the end of them....any ideas as to what these are? My Haynes manual schematics are USELESS....no rear window defroster diagram to be found.

Any help appreciated

JAmie
  • ant2ant2 Member Posts: 1
    In reply to your sticky gas pedal,yes i have had that problem,i took it to the shop today all they have to do is grease up the pedal line by the throttle body and that should fix the problem.the problems started to happen after my extended warranty ended.GO FIGURE.i have also had ALOT of other problems with my 99 astro.transmission went out $1800.00,front bearings went out,$200,(the next problems i took it to the dealer)the horn went out do to wiring problems under the hood along with the motor in the driver side window and the dealer checked the sticking gas pedal,they told me i needed a new throdle body for $500...later (today) i found out that it just needed to be greased the dealer tried to stick it to me with the throttle body,anyway all these thing were $521,fuel pump went out $700,alternator $150,and my 99 astro has under 100,000 miles about 97,000,sorry reply is so long,but every time i think about this i get angry,oh yeah and all these problems with the exception of the front wheel bearings has happened in the last 3 months,ive owned astro for about a little over 2 years.this is the worst used CERTIFIED car i have ever owned!!! :mad:
  • stan7stan7 Member Posts: 7
    Got new tires. Mech said my right-rear wheel cylinder was leaking, showed me the black fluid on his fingertip. Buy one? Rebuild? Get a used one? He said $200 to rebuild....2000 Astro with 125K. Also I get a whirling sound in the rear end only with acceleration and only above 30 mph. Bad news??
  • bassbobhbassbobh Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 99 Astro cargo van and overnight parked in my driveway I lost steering and brakes. The wheels will turn if you exert all your strength on the steering wheel and the van will stop if you stand on the brake pedal. Wierd. It's the weekend and all repair shops are closed. Anyone have a clue? Someone mentioned coil but my truck starts and runs great. Please email at bassbobh@yahoo.com
    Thanks
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Sounds like the power assist for both steering and brakes went out. My guess is some point on the serpentine belt (good luck checking that out by yourself!) might not be making contact, or might be seized or slipping.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Part of being a vibrant online community is keeping the questions and answers here so everyone can benefit. Please don't ask people to email you with answers.

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, the symptoms point to the power steering pump going out. I would think you have the hyrdo boost when both steering and brakes go out. The pump powers the hydro boost (Brake booster) and the steering.

Hope this helps,
    one87zuk
    If you have any mechanical ability. I would suggest replacing it yourself. Don't bother rebuilding it. Wheel cylinders are usually pretty cheap. You will need to bleed the brake system out after replacing. If you have black fluid though. You may want to flush the hole system out. Brake fluid should never be black. Unless there are greasy mechanic fingers behind it.

As for the "Whirling". I would check the u-joints on the driveline for excessive play and go from there.
    Jaime- They are the trailer wires. You have to add the appropriate end
    Don
  • mdconvertmdconvert Member Posts: 1
    I had to replace both front lock actuators on my '99. I bought them on line cheaper than a dealer and so far they've worked ok. I seem to remember having to drill out something on the old one to remove it.
  • billharrisbillharris Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 92 Safari XT. I've tooled around in a '78 GMC 2500 for the last 18 years, and decided to buy a more economical van. 500K on the GMC had a bit to do with the decision, too.

The XT seems to be in reasonably good shape, although it has 180K on the clock. If the rain holds off, I plan to pull a major service on it this weekend: vital fluids, filters, ignition and hoses (coolant,fuel and vacuum) as well as a general close inspection and crawl-under.

The only "known repair" I need to do is the air conditioner. Between the "test drive" last weekend and the "drive home" Monday the compressor clutch quit engaging. The radio also went out, so I half assume it may be a fuse. But the wiring schematic in a Haynes manual at the library shows that the clutch works through a A/C pressure switch and the "central computer", so I'd appreciate any hints on what else to check.

I need to pull a light utility trailer soon. Just a riding mower and trash trips to the landfill. I recall that many Chevy Astros used to use a simple hitch plate that mounted to the bumper. Is this still available (and useable on the '92)? I don't want to $pend a bunch on a frame trailer hitch _right now_ with unknown repairs and upgrades on a newly-used vehicle on my hands.

I've read through most of the 43 pages here, and this looks like a good Forum.

--Bill
    Don, Thanks for the reply !

Do you have any idea what the little box is plugged into the wires? Kinda has me baffled as to what that is????

Thanks again

Jamie
  • 95starcraft95starcraft Member Posts: 1
    My 95 had the same issue. I cleaned the 2 brass connectors on the side of the post and on the door. The ones on the door have springs in them. This worked well for me.
  • afmorganafmorgan Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Will you let me know if you get it figured out? I've done some investigating and found that the door has a vertically mounted device with a gear pushing a rod up and down. The small gear/rod device is sealed as one unit; and is riveted to the door (stupid design). It seems the motor doesn't have the "umph" to push and pull the rod. Thinking it may a restriction, I tried spraying some WD-40 type spray in the device, but it didn't help.
    Jaime- My 2002 doesn't have that box and I don't remember if my 96 had one. My guess is that it is either just a connection box or possible (remote) is that maybe some sort of braking contraption.
    Thanks again fot the reply.
    Time to stop being lazy, just get out the multimeter, find the wires I need, and be done with it.

Take Care
    Jamie
  • tim_1tim_1 Member Posts: 3
    I have wired up the 8 wire trailer harness at the rear of the vehicle, but do not have any power coming to the auxliary wire (blue) or the fused auxiliary wire (orange) for the rv battery. I am assuming the wire needs to be hooked up at the fuse block or in the engine compartment, but cannot seem to find these wires up front.
  • lak2lak2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GMC Safari has a problem where the dome light flickers on and off. Typically during a turn and more often when its raining. While it is happening I can here a clicking sound uder the dash. Help!
    You probably want to turn on the ignition. There should not be power when it is off. This keeps the trailer wiring from draining the vehicle power if there is a problem.
    Yes, I did think of this and still no power. I am really puzzled now. This was for a 1997 Safari if the year makes any difference.
  • astro102astro102 Member Posts: 2
    My 1994 Astro sounds like it is missing a cylinder. Can anyone give advice on getting to plugs? Is there any other maintenance you would suggest? 135,000 miles.
  • astro102astro102 Member Posts: 2
    f-up to last post

New serpentine belt, air filter, oil change, wiper switch, and ignition switch recently done by shop. thanks
    OK.
    Look under the dash to the left of the fuse block. There is what is called a "Conveinence Center" block. The block has wires and flashers pluged in. You want to find the ORANGE wire with a black end. The end will corrispond to a location on the block that will say "BLK" or "BLACK". THe plug should only go in one way, but who knows for sure. The wire should be plugged into the top right plug on the block. If it is not plugged in. Look around for a orange wire that is not plugged to anything. It is probably just sitting off next to the e-brake.
    Well thank you. After some digging I did find the wire and now have power. This power is constant with the ignition off, so I am hoping that is okay.