Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• JingleJillJingleJill Posts: 120
    Funny thing...the car is/was for me. He has a new Dodge Ram. However, I wanted him to be happy with my car too.

In the end, we ended up with a 2003 Acura TL-S. It was too good of a deal to pass up and he liked it. Go figure...
  • brick22brick22 Posts: 71
    I received my vin # from the dealer a couple of days ago. My car is built and learning to speak Deutsch. Now the ocean and nation crossing to go. This waiting reminds me of a really slow downloading experience. In my spare time I compare greys on the Audiworld site--my favorite replacement color is achat grey--but it sounded as though it has to be special ordered--I still sometimes wish I'd ordered atlas grey, but dolphin it is and dolphin it will be.

Am I the only one out there still waiting on an order? What does the allocation business mean? Does a dealer have to wait for an allocation to place an order?
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Posts: 143
    Thanks for the advice. I in fact got both the service manager and salesman involved on my last issue and it finally got resolved. I'm just PO'ed that anything that needs to be fixed requires 3 trips, salesmen, and managers to get any attention.
    The A4 is a fine car in its own right, and if they could just get a little better service I'd buy another!!!

For anyone considering the new A4: GET THE SPORT PACKAGE!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Timmmmmaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Posts: 721
    Tim-- Yeah, it's too bad that they couldn't get it right the first time but I've had relationships with many dealers through the years and that's the way it usually happens. For the most part and from what I've gathered from my experiences, the dealers service departments are obviously under the pressure of time and their main function is to turn a profit. So their main focus is trying to get as many "paying" customers and jobs as they can. Warranty work and adjustments take a lower priority it seems for they are not high profit for the dealership. I'd suspect this especially true for Audi assurance program for even though they get reimbursed by the manufacturer for the time spent and parts used, it is not necessarily a direct money maker for them. It's too bad it's that way but that seems to be the way it is. It's good to hear that you finally got your issues resolved, however.

Jill (brick22)-- As I said in my last post to you, the more I see the dolphin Avant the more I like it. Now that I've seen both the atlas and the dolphin on Avants, I know I'd definitely choose the dolphin. And what exactly is achat? Concerning alloctions, yes, that's how it was explained to me ...special orders are included in the dealers allotment. So let's say that they have sold or have orders for their current allocation, they'd have to wait for their next allocation to special order a car for a customer. In my case, I remember Web telling me that if I wanted to factory order a car, I'd have to wait for their next allotment unless someone were to "back out" of a tentative sale. I ended up choosing a car that was in transit that was scheduled or intended to be included in their inventory. It had more options than I originally wanted but I'm glad I settled for those included options now.

Mark-- I agree with your assessment of leatherette. Audi always lists "perforated" leatherette when referring to the seats. The perforation has to make a world of difference compared with non-perforated vinyl, I'm sure.

--'rocco
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi deacref 21000 bucks is a lot
    of money for a used car.considering
    that same 21000 bucks will by a brand
    new car with warranty such as jetta
    accord, even the new altima.or the
    acura rsx
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,600
    but assuming it's an A4 that could be a very good price-or not- depending on year, mileage and condition. Many of us would rather have a slighly used Audi at that price than a new Jetta, warranty or no.

There's no comparison w any of the other cars you named either.

I can tell you from experience that a little bit more, say $25k will get you a loaded CPO A4Q V6 with a terrific warranty and the balance of the free maintainence plan.

I decided that was way better than an Accord or an RSX, even a loaded one (which do NOT have AWD-among other things).

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• mtb22203mtb22203 Posts: 4
    Max...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner...I've been driving too much! :)

I've got the tiptronic transmission...I don't recall exactly what my mileage is right now, but I think it said right around 23 or so...

The car is great...couldn't be happier!
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi andy, i was refering to a guy who
    found 1999 audi a4 turbo with 37000
    miles for 21000 dollars it simply
    doesnt make sense to spend that kind'
    of money when u can buy a brand
    spanken new car with warranty
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,600
    but an A4 is barely broken in at 37k miles. That's the difference between it and a brand-spanking new car with a warranty, which delivers a 5-10k depreciation hit once you title it.

New isn't everything.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Glad you like the Audi, sounds like the gas mileage isn't bad for "tip" + turbo!

thanks-max.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    you see the new Carousel Audi yet? Wow...lots of cars.....must of had 50 A4's in stock.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Have seen it just from a distance (looks beautiful from the freeway). I'm about ready to make a service appt. - hopefully the new building has allowed them to expand their service hours and cut down on their wait times - and maybe lower their prices a bit too. Their first quote when I went to buy my A4 and then allroad has always been just $500 below list.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    I stopped in last week at the new Carousel Audi/Porsche on Hwy.394. I can't believe that there is enough wealthy people to support 2 Porsche dealers (owned by the same company), Maplewood (in St.Paul) to justify that new exquisite building in Golden Valley.
    The Audi building is a prototype of Audi headquarters in Germany, and is very impressive. The Porsche building is slightly smaller but also extremely well-done!
    Carousel claims to be the largest volume Audi service department in the country. The service department is twice as large as the old building. Of course, the showroom is 3 times bigger than the old building next door! When I stopped in, the salesman said he did not know what was going to done with the old building.
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    audibon: Lets get serious, a Maxima SE is an excellent car. I've driven one for almost 4 years (and that was the previous generation model), and the torque steer is anything but "unmanageable". The car is very roomy, has a fantastic engine (superior to Audi's 3.0 IMO), and handles very well w/SE trim. I prefer the style of the A4 and A6, and a Maxima does not feel German, but along with the TL, it is the "smartest" midsize sedan buy in America today, when you factor in features, performance, practicality, reliability, build quality and price.

I just ordered a 3-series, so I do like German cars, and I cross shopped the A4 3.0 and sweat blood over the decision. But if the guy who bought the Maxima SE doesn't have Euro-envy, which I did, I think he'll be ecstatic about his new car.

Incidentally, its about a $10,000 price jump from a TL to an A6 (about 33%), and you get less "stuff", and lower reliability, for your money. I'm not sure its a fair cross-shop, unless you have to have AWD.
  • audibonaudibon Posts: 100
    You hit the nail on the head! I agree that the Maxima is a great car, and that engine is better than the new 3.0 that is in the A4. In fact my friend likes my 2001 1.8T better than the 2002 3.0. He also liked the 2002 1.8T in the new A4 better than the 3.0, go figure. We really weren't cross shopping per se, we just came up with a list of sedans with a 5 or 6 spd and decent engines. I really drove his car hard and maybe unmanageable is the wrong word to use; I would have to say annoying is more the term that would fit for me. I am so used to AWD and no torque steer at all that it bothered me enough to not like the car. Not an issue for me, I don't make the payments on it. The problem is he went from a Passat to this and expected comparable handling and it just isn't there. The car is much larger than a Passat and very front end heavy, when pushed to the limit the car plows badly. I think he really liked the the S4 and A6 2.7T both for the acceleration and trunk space along with the interior volume on the A6. He golfs and bikes so a 3 series is out, we drove a 540i 6spd and were surprised at how cramped we felt inside. Trunk space is comparable to an A4/A6. Every Audi we looked at was Assured and he liked that as well but the dealer would not work with him on his Passat trade. There are other things that get me about the car as well that just don't fit with his long term wishes. The styling with the clear taillights and the subwoofer are just too boy racer for me. I think in the end he will suffer from the European envy because that is what he desired for so long, a German sedan with RWD or AWD and reserved styling with excellent performance. Thanks for your thoughts, only time will tell.
    Brian
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,467
    My friend recently traded (November) in his 2000 Maxima SE 5 speed for an A4 3.0 Q SP 6 speed. The Maxima is a great car. He says the difference between the 3.O V6s are that the 24V V6 in the Maxima "always wants to go faster" while the Audi 30V V6 "is composed and comfortable at any speed." He said the Maxima engine felt explosive while the Audi engine is smooth.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    The Maxima and A4 are apples and oranges. While the theme in the A4 is sport/luxury, the theme in the Maxima is more sport. I own a 2000 Maxima SE and it is insanely fast, and the engine is a dream. I have my sights on an A4 1.8T CVT for my next car, and although the 1.8T is no hot rod (unless chipped) it is a very good engine. I must be honest, reliability issues with Audi worry me, my Maxima has been bullit proof since I got it in '99 and I dunno if I can expect the same out of the A4.
    While my friend's car hasn't been exactly as trouble free as his Maxima was, the few small things that have broken have been fixed. It took the dealer a few times to fix his gas gauge. He most recently (this morning) took the car in for an alignment (he hit a huge pothole) and to have the tires rotated. The service rep wrote the car up as "pulling to the left" and "wandering at high speeds." Both requests were performed under warranty for no charge. While they were rotating the tires, they found that all 4 rotors were warped and the front pads were wearing unevenly. These parts were also replaced free of charge. His car has 12,000 miles.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Yesterday I noticed that a headlight was out on my wife's A4, so on the way home from work she stopped at the local dealer to see if she could get it replaced. She drove away in less than 10 minutes, and wasn't even charged for the part, even though the car is more than a year out of warranty. How's that for service?
    (Dealer is Carousel Audi in Minneapolis - thanks Carousel!).
    I drove three different A4 3.0s, and an A6 3.0. I have the Nissan 3.0 in my '99 Maxima. I would best describe the difference as power in the lower end of the rev range. My Maxima has excellent power in the 2,000-3,000 RPM range. I rarely feel these shifts in normal driving. The Audi always wanted to shift down in this range, and the extra (and sharper) shifting made the power train feel less smooth to me.

Of course, the Audi was not broken in, and the Maxima is a 39,000 mile veteran. Also, the Nissan transmission can be a little lazy to downshift at low RPM. This makes for a smoother ride while cruising around town, but is a little frustrating when trying to drive sportily. If the Nissan engine had less torque, it would have a real problem with this transmission.

In the end, I bought a BMW because the power train felt noticeably superior to my Nissan, and the A4 3.0 did not, despite a significant HP advantage. The 325i and the A4 were so close in my book (and the A4 was superior in more than a few ways), that this comparison to my Maxima was probably the difference in the decision.
    Lets face it,...neither an Audi, BMW, nor a Mercedes Benz will be as reliable as a Nissan, Toyota, or Honda. Just isn't going to happen.

My Maxima has almost 40,000 miles on it in 3-1/2 years, and it has not had one unscheduled maintenance visit. None, zero, nada! No rattles, no noises, no malfunctions. Can't beat that.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    Congrats to your 325i. How do you compare the cabin noise level between A4 and 325. I test drove a 330xi today and found it a bit noisy at high RPM.
    Jean
  • zhouguowzhouguow Posts: 1
    We bought a used A4 97 1.8T auto 12 months ago from the local dealer Leith Audi in the N.C. Triangle area. It runs fine except 2 minor problems (which were not inexpensive for us to have them fixed).

Last week on my wife's way back, she found the Malfunction indicator light start blinking and the car began to vibrate, the feeling was strong expecially when she stopped before a red light. The owner's manual said that could be due to Emission Control system's problem and 'Catalytic Convertors can be damaged'. We have the car towed to the dealer, but the dealer said the problem disappeared and they were unable to figure out what was wrong.

From the discussion I know that Leith Audi does not have a very good reputation. Can someone give us a help in explaining what could be wrong with the car and if the car's latent problem is not fixed immediately, can we drive on till the problem re-appear? Will that destroy that car?

Thanks,

Xiyu
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Dont fear, my 1999 323i has been more "reliable" than my old G20 that according to consumer reports is the all time best freaking car ever built. In addition many Japanese parts are more expensive... thats why the Honda and Toyota have the #1 and # stolen cars consistantly every year.

DL
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Posts: 721
    Xiyu-- A blinking MIL could be anything from a faulty Power Output Control Module to a defective throttle-body or throttle angle mis-adjustment. Since all MIL indications relate directly or indirectly to the emmissions controls, you may damage the cat converter if you continue to drive with the light blinking. Destroy the car? ...I don't know but I suppose there's that possibility if the cat converter were to heat up enough to cause a fire. And I'd image that you could also do some damage to the engine if you were to continue to drive with engine vibrating abnormally.

You'd think that the error code would indicate the source of the problem if the dealer ran the diagnostics. I'd have to believe the dealer would have to have an idea where the source of the problem was after running the diagnostics even though they couldn't duplicate the problem. I guess there's nothing you can do but to keep driving until the problem resurfaces but I'd still be nervous until I could determine what exactly was happening.

If you're out of warranty, I'd probably recommend consulting a reputable independent VW/Audi mechanic and have them run the diagostics to see if they can determine the error code which triggered the MIL incident. If you can find such a shop, my experience tells me that repairs might be less expensive than what the dealer will charge. A good independent shop will sometimes spend more time trying to figure out what caused the problem as some dealers techs are under the pressure of time constraints due to dealer's desire to maintain a high profit to time and volume ratio. I realize it's unfair to portray all dealer's service departments in this manner but I've encountered many which focus on high profit/little time type jobs and tend to disregard those that may take time to diagnose properly. If the independent shop determines no error code present then then it may have just been an anomaly and I'd relax and continue to enjoy driving your A4. Good luck.

DL-- You've found that parts for your G20 were more expensive than parts for BMWs? And I always thought that Honda and Toyotas were stolen for parts because there's so many of them and they can be easily re-sold. But it's because they're so expensive? That's interesting. I knew they were more expensive than domestic parts but didn't know that they were more expensive than German parts. Thanks for that information.

--'rocco
    you've just put 2 & 2 together. The reason Hondas & Toyotas are stolen for parts is because there are so many of them and the genuine Honda parts are extremely expensive and many of the parts are interchangeable. A 170hp engine from an Acura Integra GSR will drop right into any Civic starting from 1988 to the present. Honda parts are so expensive that even the insurance companies don't want to pay for them. My sister had a 1995 Honda Accord EX that was stolen and stripped. The insurance company wanted to fix the car with non-Honda parts (which don't fit as perfectly) so they claimed the damage was less. Using Honda parts would have cost them a few thousand dollars more. Luckily the adjuster came to her senses and totalled the car. I have to pay extra on the insurance on my 2001 Prelude because I specified that if anything happens to the car, I want Genuine Honda parts to replace it.

And just so I stay on topic, I saw an A4 cabriolet parked in someone's driveway. It was silver with a Black top and the 16" 5 spoke wheels. The car had vehicle maufaturer plates on it. I know who the guy is and he works for the Audi dealership here in the city. Personally I like the sedan better.

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    NYC is right , regarding the value of the japanese parts, i have a "throw down " 1990 Honda the insurance is the SAME as for my 323i. The odd posted battery is equal in price to the trunk mount in my 3er.

we have recovered several civics with the stolen Acura motors btw..

I got a few hail dings on my 3er and i priced a Brand New Hood for the 3er was only $349.00 plus paint and install, a Seville in the body shop for hood was $1149.00, sorry a little off topic but just as a few examples.

On topic:) what model cabrio were you checking out ?

DL
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Posts: 72
    I'm looking into the Audi A4 1.8T as a possible lease option. Essentially, I'm looking for a 1.8T with Quattro, Sport pkg, sunroof, and the bose stereo...Curious if anybody has priced either the A4 1.8T and the 3.0 Quattro for lease prices...What would you suggest is a good deal?
    Are there any minor updates for 2003 that are worth waiting for? I would love it if the bottom bumper were color-coated to match the car rather than black!
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    If it's true that Japanese parts are more expensive, and I'm not sure that's true, at least you probably won't need the parts very often because the cars are so reliable. I'm suprised at the posts here that say I had my headlight replaced, or my car was towed in and the service was wonderful and fast. With a reliable car, you won't need that service, and you won't have to worry about how friendly the service manager is, or if they offer a loaner!