Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    I had an A4 1.8T (2002) for two days as a loaner -- it had many options including a sunroof. I did not notice any problems with it -- headroom wise.

I rode in the back seat and found it to be less cramped than the 2001 A4's.

I liked the new A4 -- currently I find it to be about the best Audi out there (well, apart from the S6 Avant -- which is off the scale nice).

I read some time ago (in European Car or Car magazine) that there were new Audi's coming in 2003 (new as in refreshened, moving forward designs). That has apparently been postponed -- or probably more likely, was never in the cards anyway. Now, both Car and European car talk about new Audi's for 2004 and 2005. Now, I cannot imagine much will be done with the A4 line, since it is the freshest. But the A8, I believe IS the oldest (1994) and the A6 (1997) and the upmarket moves that are being pushed by VW and Audi AG, would lead me to believe new A8 for 2003 (but I am not certain it will be calendar 2003 and model 2004) and new A6 and TT in 2004 (magazines claim model year 2004 A6 and TT will have new bodies). The A8 Avant will be here too -- again, I imagine as a model year 2004.

Now, let me make one thing perfectly clear -- the magazines often seem to only distinguish markets "when they actually know something concrete." The A2 and A3 which are oft mentioned are apparently NOT US bound for the forseeable future. New A8's, A6's and TT's ARE. Apparently there will be much more widespread availability of Audi's with V8's -- I can find no further mention of 2.9T's in any magazine, for example.

The new S4 will be a 4.2 V8 equipped car and will have both auto and manual transmissions -- this information came from the "quattro quarterly" a publication of the Audi Car Club of America which generally has reliable information and generally has information after everyone else's speculation articles. The Audi Car Club often sites Mark Trahan (of Audi of America) or Len Hunt (VP of AoA) as its source.

One last note -- while attending the Audi Driving Experience in Seefeld, Austria in January of 2001, we got to use A4 2.5TD quattros with 6spd manuals and sport suspensions -- this, IMHO, would blow away the A4 3.0 owners with it's low end torque, economy, weight distribution, lack of anything that would give away that it was a diesel and probably reliability.

At the time, and continuing through today, I would say that AoA has brought the second best A4 to the US (the 3.0), when they could also bring the 2.5TD (which at 180HP and lots of low end grunt would be an instant favorite -- simply becuase the dieselly-ness has been wiped out of the thing).
  • brick22brick22 Posts: 71
    It sounds as though you prefer the 3.0 to the 1.8T. If so, why? Thanks.
  • I test drive an A4 with a sunroof today and fit just fine. With the drivers's seat adjusted to fit me, there isn't a lot of room for a passenger behind it if they are the same size as me. Oh well, I won't be sitting back there.

I test drove a Mini as well today, and I have to say that I'm impressed with the amount of interior room they have... for front-seat passengers.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Posts: 721
    Jill-- You can't be still waiting, are you?? I have to assume that you are now in possession of your new Avant but I'd think that you'd have posted your impressions if you were.

?

--'rocco
  • brick22brick22 Posts: 71
    I'm still waiting. If you've been reading on Audi world there was a hold up in the ports--or at least in the Port of Wilmington--it was supposed to be here on the 4th. Then the 11th. And it didn't get here this week either. I'm getting disappointed and discouraged. And I'm even looking at other cars in my spare time.
    In January, I was in the holy land (Ingolstadt, Munich, etc.). At the Audi factory, they have a "showroom" or showcase of their models. The 1.8T car can be equipped with EVERYTHING the US 3.0 has (plus some things we can't get here -- like sat nav).

For my tastes, knowing that I would like leather, sat nav, 6spd, etc., I would probably consider the A4 3.0 over the 1.8T -- but the 1.8T is GREAT in every way (with the stick shift).

My comments were more a lament that the fantastic 2.5 turbo diesel is not available on our shores. I think it would be the best of the lot (until the S4 comes along).

Now, if I am wanting to tune my Audi, I would always pick turbo gasoline engined models.

The A4 1.8T and the 2.7T A6's (today) are the best candidates for performance tuning.

Putting the 225HP 1.8T in an A4 would be very nice, too.

Alas, not here (and as far as I know, the 225HP 1.8T is not available in the A4 body even in Germany.)
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Posts: 563
    Let me get the enthusiasm going.....

Someone living in CT reported on AW that he had seen the 03/04 S4 and A4 Cab running around over there.....anyone here had seen that in their neighborhoods?

I haven't seen them here in Chi town.....

Billy
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,457
    I've seen one in the driveway of a guy who I know is an AUdi technician at the Audi dealership here in the city. I must say that I like the sedan much better. The Cabriolet I saw was silver w/ a black top and 16" (non-sport) 5 spoke wheels.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• a4_4vincea4_4vince Posts: 25
    Just want to keep you guys posted, especially Mark. I did notice a major improvement on gas milage and fun factor after around 8000 miles or so. The car has been flawless. Mark, you were so right...I again thank all of you for the wonderful information displayed on this board.

vince...8o)
    Actually among the new A4 sedans, avants and Cabs, I would take the new Avant. It looks much better than the old one and even better than the sedan, in my opinion.....although I saw a just-waxed black on black 3.0Q sedan with the 17" rims on the road this morning and it's gorgeous.....which was followed by a 02 A6 4.2 which was even better.

Saw an S8 (black with tinted windows) yesterday with busted plastic backup light cover.....my heart almost stopped pounding for a second. Too bad the guy turned at the next intersection.....almost wanted to roll down the windows and yell, "I felt your pain, man".

Oh by the way my 01.5 A4 1.8T hit 21,900 miles with no problems. May take it to Toronto from Chicago in August on its first long road trip :> Can't wait for that.

Billy
    I agree that the Avant w/ Sport wheels is goreous. It looks more hunkered down than the sedan. S8 sightings are pretty rare. I've seen a Silver/Black, a Black/Black, & a Black/Beige S8 in recent memory. The S8 is definitely the ultimate stealthmobile!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830
    Has anyone out there bought a used luxury car such as Audi, Cadillac or Lexus recently?
    If so, and if you're willing to talk about it with a major daily newspaper, please send your vehicle and contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 31. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• patpat Posts: 10,421

sorry, I tried to resist saying that, but I just couldn't. :)

HEHE that's funny.....I was thinking the same thing when I read Kirstie's post.....I guess an article alone is not enough.

Billy
  • wie_gehtswie_gehts Posts: 30
    Does anyone have any info or a link about when the 2003 A4 will be available and how the pricing will look like? A relative of mine is looking into buying one but he would like to wait for the 2003 models to come out. At what time of the year (Sept./Oct. maybe) do the new Audi model years usually appear?

Thanks a lot!
    Come out at different times every year. Could be as early as NOW or as late as Oct!

I would look for the price to stay close to what it is now.
  • crashton6crashton6 Posts: 245
    From what I understand they have stopped taking orders for new 02 Audi's. I would think that means the 03's are soon to be here. Try asking here > http://www.audiworld.com/forum/index.html

Chuck

I have been to Ingolstadt several times for the English tour of the factory, delivery center, museum, showroom and boutique. Here is what I gather about the timing of Audi's.

The current year Audi's are made for about 26 weeks (so in 2002, we have already been making 2003's for a couple of weeks -- assuming the die replacements and other retooling were started exactly @ the end of either week 25 or 26). Sometimes, the TT & S4 are examples, a car will be called either a current year (extension) after the new cars are already out (the 2002 A4 was a new car, the 2002 S4 looked pretty much like a 2001, but was still called a 2002) or an eary next year car -- my wife took delivery of her 2001 TT in early July 2000 (which meant, according to the build sticker, that it was actually manufactured about 90 days prior to delivery.)

Generally next year's Audis are made commencing in July of the current year -- generally. Of course there are no 2002's being built anymore -- the '03's have already come on line. The fact that the first ones we'll see aren't here yet is a combination of several factors: AoA wants to get rid of the 2002 inventory and we are just at the very beginning of the 03 manufacturing cycle, and depending on how many "dealer or customer pre-orders" there are on the books, we probably won't see any 2003's for a least a few more weeks.

Sometimes, the new cars are "held in port" to aid the dealers (in the US, that is) get rid of last year's cars. The thought is that if you had a brand new last year's model and a brand new this year's model, the price reductions on last year's models would have to be even larger than they already are. Moreover, since a significant portion of Audi's are not purchased, but leased, the lease payments are often more favorable on the new car (because the residual is higher on the new than on the old)-- so some folks will lease an '03 over an '02, even though the price on the '02 is less (due to discounts).

They -- whoever they are -- say that the best time to BUY (in cash) a new car is when the MSRP is discounted the most. If Audi would ever offer 0.00% financing, that of course would be the way to BUY one of these cars if owning one was what you really wanted.

When financing a car, (i.e., Buying) end of year often makes sense -- and don't get me wrong, sometimes the lease deals at eoy can be very aggressive too.

So, the Audi folks in Germany told me that they make the new ones generally starting in July sometime. What AoA does with respect to bringing them to market may (often does) change the date when you can pick one up.

Being a car buying dinosaur, I always order my cars often as much as a year in advance. It takes way too much patience to do this, but the anticipation is exquisite.
  • wolf999wolf999 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this so please forgive me if I'm totally uneducated on the process. I just picked up my 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro. I love everything about the car! But...when I go over 65 mph the car seems to make a humming noise. I can't tell if this is from the 16" tires (which are new to me since my last car had 15" all-weather and were near bald) or if it is the car itself. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just wondering if I am stressing over nothing. Thanks for the feedback.
  • audibonaudibon Posts: 100
    FYI ALL:
    As of today I have not received a response from the dealer where I had my car serviced and one of my CD's was taken. I will keep you all posted if I receive a response and what the response is.
    Brian
    I think the 02 A4 16" tires are also all season tires.....you can also try to ask the same question over at forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2. It does, however, sound like the tires that are the culprit.

Billy
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I test drove an '02 1.8T with Pilot all season and an '02 3.0 with 17" Dunlops. I was turned off to how noisey the 16" tires were.
  • Thanks for the info on pricing. The 2003 model puts the xenon lights and sunroof into the premium package, so in order to get this, you now also have to buy the auto-dimming mirrors and the other stuff. Still no pricing info yet, but the best the dealer offered on a 3.0 quattro manual was $1000 below MSRP. I am not too happy with that. In general, can anyone recommend me a dealer in the SF/Silicon Vallet area? I was at Stevens Creek Audi-Porsche in San Jose. They were nice in general but didn't want to go lower at the price. Edmunds TMV is almost 1,500 below MSRP though. Also, since they special order the car, the get the dealer holdback anyway vs. selling me one from their lot.
    Btw, the 6 speed manual is not too bad, it's not the greatest gearbox, but it isn't as bad as it sounds in the edmunds review. The shifts are precise but they sound and feel a little "metallic". ALso, I loved the denim-blue color of the longterm A4 in the pictures here at edmunds but didn't like the color at all when I saw it in real life. It was way too light, not a cool blue, but a silvery blue, looks a little washed out to me. Audi doesn't have a whole lot of great color choices. They have many silver and grey tones but you see them at every corner and I am getting tired of them. We really didn't want to go with a dark color but since Audi doesn't have a real cool blue, I think we might go with the ming-blue. It is very dark though, almost looks black, but I it still looks better than the other colors. Basically, there are only the choice between half a dozen silver and grey colors, a very dark green, a very dark blue, a red, and white, that's all. I've seen a much nicer blue on the previous A4, or maybe it was the S4, but they don't have this color anymore. In any case, if any of you can recommend me a good dealer in the Silicon Valley area, both price (when you bought it) and service wise, I am very grateful. Thanks.
  • It came with the 16" Michelin Pilots, and they are a little noisy on concrete, but for stock tires, they are nice. When I wear them out, I'll probably get something else, as they are very expensive tires.

wie_gehts, I'm about 99% sure that there is no holdback on Audis. I'm also pretty sure that the 3.0 doesn't sell anywhere near as well as the 1.8T, so I would have guessed that you could get more than $1000 off. But... You were negotiating on a 2003, not a leftover 2002, right? Maybe that's the reason they don't want to go any lower.

PS - how should I handle the [full-size] spare when doing tire rotations? It seems to me that with Quattro, it would be important to have all 5 tires wear evenly.
    Congrats.....so what's the detail on yours?

Regarding the tire rotations, during the first and only one free tire rotation done by Audi at 5k miles, they did not include the spare in the rotation. My guess is, since it's a spare and they think you are not supposed to drive on it even it's a full-size one, they do not include it in the rotation. I mean, if you have a flat at 20k miles and you need to put the spare on, you are going to drive it for maybe 50 miles max to your shop and fix the tire. I guess they think you wouldn't just slap the spare on and fix and put away the damaged tire. It's especially true when most of us (guilty me) don't check the tire pressure on the spare as often as we check the running tires.

Oh, also make sure when you go to outside tire places for wheel balancing or whatever, tell them you got an AWD car and DON'T rotate them from side to side. Just front to back and back to front on the same side.

Billy
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Read July 2002 Automobile Mag page 158. An owner of a 2000 Audi TT , said a left front tire was worn,Audi refused to replace one tire only citing rapid cluth wear, and would only replace 4 at a time, a independent "costco" told him the same thing . So is every one buy 4 ties a pop ? id have to pass on Q if thats the truth.

DL
  • I called AoA last week and asked about the pricing on the 03 A4 1.8T Q, the representative told me the 03 base is $50 more than last yr model and most of the options are the same EXCEPT there will be no more leatherette seat anymore! Either you get the cloth or pay for the new optional leather. HOWEVER, by getting a leather seat you need to option a Premium Package which include Sunroof, homelink and leather for $2000. Which mean it will push the price highter than this yr model (except if you want a cloth seat). If anyone planing to get a A4 1.8T, you should better get the 02 NOW before they are gone!
  • dej0dej0 Posts: 36
    Hi Gang,
    It has been a while since I posted. I still like my '02 A4. It is definately a better driver than my '97. However, I think I like the 1.8T engine better than the 3.0. The bigger engine does have more power, but the fuel mileage is abysmal. I know, what did I expect? Anyway, we put about 2500 miles on it in two weeks of vacation this summer and it did great. It is a comfortable car for long trips. Also, I must say this is the best air conditioner I have ever had. It crushes the AC in my wife's 325 (which is also an '02).
    Besides the fuel mileage and the hard to press radio buttons, my only complaint is using the car to pick up those occaionally large purchases. The trunk space is great, as my vacation demonstrated, but the opening is small. I am tired of borrowing my friends' minivans and SUVs to go to the store and pick up things that don't fit. Has anyone purchased the Audi rack system in a bid to make the car more useable? How about other aftermarket racks?
    I agree with wei_gehts, the new blues are not that exciting. I loved the santorini blue on my '97, but not the new colors. I guess that is why the red is selling so well. I must admit, I like it and get lots of comments. Of course, the Pooh Bear window shade gets lots of comments too.

Ned
    My friend has an '02 A4 3.0Q SP and has to replace his Z Rated Continental Tires after 15,000 miles (they can go a little more, but not much). He doesn't want to sacrifice the Z rated handling by getting all seasons, but doesn't want to have to go through tires (expensive ones at that) once a year for the duration of his lease. He figures he'd compromise a bit of the performance for slightly longer longevity with a set of V rated tires. Can anybody reccommend a set of V rated Tires? Thanks!

• marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Dej0,
    You didn't mention what kind of mileage you were getting in your '02A4. For comparison, in my'00 2.7T w/tip I get 18-20 mpg (city) , around 22-24 mpg (hwy). Also, do you have the manual or tip setup?