Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    My friend bought his car at NEW COUNTRY AUDI of GREENWICH (He lives in CT) which couldn't fix the problem. He brought it to Audi of Farirfield and they came to the rescue.\

I actually had to have my Saab serviced at Zumbach once (because I couldn't drive it to the dealer in NJ) and they did a teriffic job. If you go there, ask for Freddy (or Fred) the service writer. His son is one of the Audi Techniciancs there. One thing though, everything is more expensive in Manhattan. They charge something like $120/hour for labor...OUCH!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    My dealer is Biener Audi at Great Neck. I am planning to have an oil change and some small adjustment for my A6 in a month. Will report back experience.
  • davkingdavking Member Posts: 51
    A scientist son gave me a little instrument that measure temp and humidity more or less instantaneously. Why didn't I think to use it before this. The humidity measure precision is plus or minus 5 percent at 25 degrees celsius. I will report back.
  • davkingdavking Member Posts: 51
    Went on an urban errand. The best differential was a 103 external reading with a 76 internal reading. The worst was a 104 external with a 87 internal. Humidity was around 10 percent. But Mark, your right, I think. All the thermostat does is control how long the compressor and fans operate. Just as in a home system. Except in the auto the fan speed varies. The lowest reading holding the thermometer in front of a vent was 57 degrees. We're getting close to 100 days without any rain and more without measurable rain.
  • lakersfanlakersfan Member Posts: 1
    This is the first time I've posted. Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the great insights on Audi. I scrolled thru at least 1000 messages in the past week to get a feel for what the positives/negatives were to the A4. Very informative! And...I ended up buying an '02 A4 1.8T this weekend.
  • drwho5drwho5 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have the misc fees found on the Audi invoice that you won't find on Edmunds? (port prep, etc). I know ad fees will vary by region, but I was wondering what else to expect on the dealer invoice.

Thanks!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    Anyone have any word on how Multronics are selling? Any feedbak on how they are to drive?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• amoorenplsamoorenpls Member Posts: 7
    Totally confused.

I have been researching the Jetta, Passat and A4 with looking to purchase in the near future. I really like the Jetta GLI (the 17" wheels look great) with the leather, sunroof and monsoon. However for the money I could get a Passat GLS similarly equiped (but with 1.8T) but with puny looking 15" wheels. As far as getting an Audi I would probably have to buy used at this time to get the same equipment level.

I am single and would probably own for 1.5 - 2.5 years. I have gone through a career change and probably will have more money to spend in a couple of years. Recently I have owned trucks and SUV's but the best vehicle I ever owned was a '94 Acura Integra GSR. I'm a little older now and looking for more sport sedan than pocket rocket, but as one can tell I like 'drivers cars'. I drove a 5sp Passet in Ireland last summer and really liked it, have as of yet to try Jetta or A4.

looking for other opinions as to which way I should probably go.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Oh boy, I don't envy you.

First, once you drive the A4, you will probably want it more than the Passat (based on your description of the GLS 1.8T).

However, your other qualifications make you seem perhaps AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME to need to make a "prudent" decision and go with a farily maxed out Jetta. I am speaking only about money here. And, knowing that you may only keep the car a couple of years -- get the Jetta now, then go for either an A4 or a Passat W8.

The A4 is a sweet machine, tho, and of the three you suggested, would -- all things permitting such an indulgence -- be my first choice.

No satan no -- go with the Jetta. Save for the next time -- don't burden yourself at this time with a "self inflicted wound." Enjoy fine dining, wine, women, whatever -- with the difference in the monthly payment between Jetta and the A4.
  • amoorenplsamoorenpls Member Posts: 7
    Thanks markcincinnati for your comments, that is kind of the way I'm leaning. It would be nice to still enjoy fine wine and women (as I said for now I'm still single). I will be checking this town hall for a while so please anyone with experience with these cars or two of them please feel free to add your comments, they are much appreciated.
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
    (Sorry for the double header but hit enter by mistake)

Just hit 5K on 2002 A4 1.8T - all I can say is solid, solid, solid. What a car.

2 things: In response to previous post which talked about New Country In Greenwich, when I was shopping for my car I hit about 6-7 dealers in the tri-state area 1 being NC. I figured with all the NY Times advertising being the "world largest Audi dealer" I would get the best bang for my buck. Boy was that far from the truth.

They were the highest priced of all dealers I got quotas from and it was on a demo! the place was like a factory and the salesman were the worst I have ever dealt with - like I should be privileged to buy from them. I will take every opportunity short of advertising in the Times that they are the worst dealership in the world.

I ended up getting a phenomenal deal and service from a very small volume, bare bones local outfit. Screw NC

Now that I got that rant out - my question. What have people heard about any changes / upgrades for the 2003 A4? Will we still have the 1.8T rated for 180hp? or are we going to top VW? ANY news or gossip is greatly appreciated.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    The changes for 2003 are in some posts over there; do a search in the new A4 forum. There are a few changes, but I'm pretty sure that the engine will be rated the same. Of course if you want more power there are plenty of chipping options, though I keep reading about the debate with APR about whether or not the A4 needs additional fuel modifications to be reliable with a chip. I personally would just wait another 6 months to a year and see how it all plays out. You know, let someone else do the R&D on their daily driver.
    I read that the S4 is finally "configured" for the US market. 4.2L V8 probably 340HP and cut off my legs and call me shorty -- both auto and manual!!!!! transmissions.

Now, I do not know if this S4 which should be here in the year 2003 will be badged as a 2003 or 2004 -- my best guess, 2004.

If the economy is back by then, well I do have a three car garage. . . . .

The list of stuff that I read is coming on future Audi's is pretty impressive and even though some of the things that are coming have been on other cars, putting them all together on an Audi should be incredible.

Suspension improvements (semi active); changes in the electronics, telematics, etc. Each Audi will eventually have what would be the equivalent of its own unique URL, automatic this that and the other thing are already in the pipeline. Of course some of the things will come first to the A8 or the RS6 etc, but they are already planned to push downstream to the A6, A4, A3, etc.

We live in some pretty exciting times -- can't wait.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I am looking at a possible A4 3.0 purchase, unsure whether to consider an '02 or wait for the new '03 models? The fact that I hope to keep this next car a long time, and the discounts and low APR Audi financing, may cause me to consider an '02 model.

To help me make up my mind, my salesman had a 2003 order sheet for me to examine. Here are some changes I observed from that order sheet. (Hope I'm not repeating old news!)

Leather seating surfaces will be standard on the '03 A4 3.0. This can be upgraded to premium leather. Not sure if that means the door panels and trim are affected? From what I can tell, cloth will NOT be available in the 3.0.

One new interesting package will be the PPX Premium Package, which includes the sunroof, xenon, auto dimming mirrors, driver seat memory, homelink, and a multi-function steering wheel. I wonder if the multi-function upgrade removes the up/down shift buttons from the steering wheel (for automatics)? Interesting: I did not see sunroof or xenon listed as individual options. (?)

Another new option is 17" 5-spoke wheels with 234/45 all-season tires. Apparently, this provides an opportunity to get the sporty wheels, but with additional traction, and without the extra firm suspension of the sports package.

The exterior and interior color choices seem to be the same as the '02 choices. There may be an additional combination or two, such as the beige interior with the dolphin gray metallic exterior.
    To echo somebody else's request (#3906), is there anybody who has owned an '02 with CVT for awhile who would be willing to relay their opinions of that transmission? Edmunds' recent entry in the long-term test of the '02 A4 3.0 CVT didn't speak very favorably of the real-world urban driving traits of that transmission. I'm wondering if the test drivers may be a bit too critical?
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    I think the multi-function steering wheel carries the radio and phone controls IN ADDITIONAL to the Tiptronic shift buttons. The radio and phone controls are placed left and right of the 6 o'clock spoke of the 3-spoke steering wheel while the Tiptronic buttons are on the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock spokes of the wheel. They should not interfere with each other, as far as placement. So leatherette or cloth won't be available for A4 3.0?? I guess if you want cloth or leatherette, you gotta get the 1.8T for 2003; and if you want leather, you gotta get the 3.0, which is the same as before anyway. Thanks for the info though.

Hey MarkCin, talking about exciting new Audi's, how about I read something on C&D saying Audi is going to get a version of the baby Lamboghini cuz Audi had helped Lambo (well ok Audi owns Lambo) on the aluminum body and other stuff? If THAT'S coming to US, I guess I'll eat peanut butter till then to save on $$ :>

Billy
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Rob,

"Edmunds' recent entry in the long-term test of the '02 A4 3.0 CVT didn't speak very favorably of the real-world urban driving traits of that transmission. I'm wondering if the test drivers may be a bit too ritical? "

Where exactly did you get this from?

- D.
    Perhaps like you, I read (and subscribe) to several Auto magazines, European Car, Car, Car & Driver, Road & Track -- and I am a member of the Audi Car Club of America -- which has its own magazine. Surfing web sites pertaining to Audi's too occupies part of my time, as have visits to the homeland city, Ingolstadt.

So, while I cannot always put my finger on where I read or saw mention of "new" and future Audi's, I generally lend credence to what I have read/seen, if I find it in more than one location.

Audi and VW are both moving "up market" (read higher priced). Audi's direction is apparently more aggressive in the sport-luxury market and VW's in the classic-luxury market. To this end, Audi (according to the above referenced sources) is going to bring a $75,000+ sports car to market. Indeed the relationship with Lambo -- see Billy's post above -- is fostering this.

And the beat goes on -- the upcoming TT's apparently will have V8 engines in them -- I assume that inexpesive (in relative terms) TT's are not in the long term future. A true Audi SUV, not one based on my current fave the allroad (I ordered one since I assume it is just about the end of the line for the car), will be brought to market. Of course the current body allroad will be available later this year (my dealer says hopefully this year) with a 4.2L V8, but no manual transmission.

The new 6spd tiptronic, only coming in the A8, for now, will within a model year or two be widely available across the Audi line -- which will probably mean we are nearing the end of the line for a manual option (in the US at least) -- but, the 6sp tip apparently does just about every thing right and theoretically virtually eliminates what some of us feel is the "manual advantage."

W12 engines, normally aspirated at first, followed by turbo(?) charging, diesel offerings, electric (not hydralic) brakes and more handling electronics -- are, so say the magazines, all in the works for upcoming Audi's.

And all at an upmarket price.

Before you count your current or next Audi as your last one, though -- because of the march up market and up price -- remember that Audi's will probably still remain higher value than BMW's and Mercedes (read lower priced). So if you are into the European cars like I suspect many of us that participate in this forum are -- the future looks like it will be both higher performance and higher cost.

The price of progress.
    To see Edmunds' ongoing long-term roadtest of the 2002 A4 3.0 CVT, start from their home page and click on reviews. Then click on "more long-term road tests". On the right, look for the Audi A4 link, which should take you into the review for the month of June. Previous months' comments can be read by selecting them on the lower right portion of the page.

I will attempt to post the URL below:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/59310/page002.html

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As cotmc notes, that link will take you to the June update. The beginning of the series (along with links to all updates as they are posted) can be accessed in the Helpful Links box on the left sidebar of this page.

;-)

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Did you notice the tire choice with the optional 17" wheels? I know there are 2 reasons people deter from ordering the SP (but love those gorgeous 17" 5 spoke wheels). The first one as you mentioned is due to the fact that they don't want the rougher riding (relatively speaking) of the sport calibrated suspension. The other reason being the Z rated performance tires that come with the sport package. People (regular people, not car nuts like most of us on this board) don't want to go and spend the better part of almost $40,000 and then have to spend an additional $1000 on dedicated winter tires and wheels. So it would make sense if the 17" wheels were offered with all season tires and no sport suspension as a stand alone option. Mark, any thoughts?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

That would give the car a 4x4 look. This is just my opinion of course, but with such a low profile tire, having that much gap between the tread and the fender makes the vehicle look lifted.

I do agree that all-season tires should be offered as a zero-cost alternative to the high-performance summer tires that you get on the sport package.
    My 2000 A6 4.2 -- which I special ordered -- offered a 255 x 40 x 17" wheel tire -- no sport package was available at the time. The car came with Max Performance Dunlop SP9000's (which I did like).

Later, my 2001 A6 4.2 -- which I also special ordred -- offered the sport package which included the 255 x 40 x 17" wheel/tires, lower suspension and sport seats. The car came with Pirelli P6000's (which are the worst tires I have ever had and will never willingly have again.)

I do not agree that the car will have a 4x4 look -- but I do think for those who really take the time to notice that the sport suspension cars @ 20mm (south of an inch) lower -- ride and handle better and look better too.

The differences in appearence that 20mm makes is minimal. The real difference is in the improvement in the ride and handling.

Please don't yell -- I know some people think that the sport package makes the car ride rougher than the stock suspension. Well, it all depends on how you look at it. But, I have found, with my wife's 2001 225HP TT with 17" low profile Z rated tires (stock) that same size all weather High Performance tires (not Max performance) makes the TT ride better, be quieter inside, still go fast in a straight line, not need dedicated winter tires (we are in Cincinnati -- the HOME of moderate winters, snow wise) and for most of the kind of driving done on the highways and byways of the midwest only have a tiny reduction in handling prowess.

We drive rarely over 80 or 85mph -- and when reaching such speeds it is generally on a limited access very light traffic clear, dry day. We do "hunker down" and take some corners at higher than posted speeds -- but heck not so much as to squeal the tires or even activate the ESP.

So, for those that want an excellent compromise of performance, ride and looks -- my choice (and if one such as the following is avail from AoA and YOU are so inclined -- order it) would be:

an A4 with sport suspension and the cool looking wheels, sport seats and High Performance or Ultra High Performance all season tires with the same stats as the Max (or summer) performance tires Audi generally mounts on cars with Sport Suspension.

For those selecting this, they will be rewarded with more controlled handling (than with the standard suspension), higher cornering capability, firmer, but not ROUGH suspension movements, a quieter interior (primarily because some of the Max perf tires ARE noisier than the all seasons), greater miles between tire changes and in many parts of the US no snow tires needed. It does not appear that such a combination is avail from the option list -- but you could always have the tires swapped the moment the car came in on the truck for probably a "modest" sum -- a couple hundred bucks, I'll bet.

Like my wife, you'll probably love the improvements in many areas and not miss the loss of "stickyness" closer to the limit.

And, she hates to change tires in winter and summer -- so this works here in the eastern part of the mid-west. Probably would work well south of here too -- probably wouldn't want this set up in Minn. though.

I'll stick with the higher performance tires, but frankly I don't mind the additional "stiffness" on me bum!

Just a thought or two.
  • audibonaudibon Member Posts: 100
    Mark:
    Any word on what the new A6 will be like? Same rounded body style... Any new powertrains... Will the 2.7T still be available? It would be nice to have a Turbo/s in that car to allow upgrade possibilities and that is the only A6 offered with a manual in the US of A. I would also like to see the fender flares from the 4.2 added to the 2.7T. That would be a nice touch. Thanks in advance for any info you have.
    Brian
    It's a subtle but unmistakeable (to Audi mavens)cue that you're packing heat under the hood.

I wouldn't mind getting Mark's discards when he moves on to the next 4-ring hot-rod.

• marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I read that one of the writers testing the new A4-3.0 "complained" about the right leg being pressed up against the "wide" Audi console.

I noticed this the first time I drove the 2.7T. I then discovered that all the Audi's have the "wide" center console that could possibly restrict the driver's right leg room.
    If you look carefully at pics of the new A8 coming out- Audi has redesigned that "wide" console, the interior is noticeably restyled.
    MarkCicinnati- I don't remember you specifically writing about legroom (or lack of) on the 4.2. Are you satisfied w/ the "driving position" on your Audi and how does your wife rate the interior space on the TT?
    Thanks again for your informative answers- I have learned so much about Audi from reading /participating in this forum!
    I had an A8 (1997) and three A6's (1999, 2000, 2001) -- Several A4's and two TT's have also graced our garage -- frankly the only one I have a problem with is the TT. I am 6 feet tall and weigh about 185 -- so I am "average" (may be a few pounds too average).

I can understand the concern, but it has never been one to me.

I hear the 2003's BTW will be little changed from the '02's in anticipation of ALL new 04's.
    I thought it was due for a little touch up but that's all. What do you hear?

Have you had much seat time in the new A4? Your size describes me almost to a T and I was just curious how I would fit in an A4 with the sunroof.

My employer is probably going to be laying people off when we get in to work today, and I was planning on hitting up the Audi dealership next week if I survive...
    I had an A4 1.8T (2002) for two days as a loaner -- it had many options including a sunroof. I did not notice any problems with it -- headroom wise.

I rode in the back seat and found it to be less cramped than the 2001 A4's.

I liked the new A4 -- currently I find it to be about the best Audi out there (well, apart from the S6 Avant -- which is off the scale nice).

I read some time ago (in European Car or Car magazine) that there were new Audi's coming in 2003 (new as in refreshened, moving forward designs). That has apparently been postponed -- or probably more likely, was never in the cards anyway. Now, both Car and European car talk about new Audi's for 2004 and 2005. Now, I cannot imagine much will be done with the A4 line, since it is the freshest. But the A8, I believe IS the oldest (1994) and the A6 (1997) and the upmarket moves that are being pushed by VW and Audi AG, would lead me to believe new A8 for 2003 (but I am not certain it will be calendar 2003 and model 2004) and new A6 and TT in 2004 (magazines claim model year 2004 A6 and TT will have new bodies). The A8 Avant will be here too -- again, I imagine as a model year 2004.

Now, let me make one thing perfectly clear -- the magazines often seem to only distinguish markets "when they actually know something concrete." The A2 and A3 which are oft mentioned are apparently NOT US bound for the forseeable future. New A8's, A6's and TT's ARE. Apparently there will be much more widespread availability of Audi's with V8's -- I can find no further mention of 2.9T's in any magazine, for example.

The new S4 will be a 4.2 V8 equipped car and will have both auto and manual transmissions -- this information came from the "quattro quarterly" a publication of the Audi Car Club of America which generally has reliable information and generally has information after everyone else's speculation articles. The Audi Car Club often sites Mark Trahan (of Audi of America) or Len Hunt (VP of AoA) as its source.

One last note -- while attending the Audi Driving Experience in Seefeld, Austria in January of 2001, we got to use A4 2.5TD quattros with 6spd manuals and sport suspensions -- this, IMHO, would blow away the A4 3.0 owners with it's low end torque, economy, weight distribution, lack of anything that would give away that it was a diesel and probably reliability.

At the time, and continuing through today, I would say that AoA has brought the second best A4 to the US (the 3.0), when they could also bring the 2.5TD (which at 180HP and lots of low end grunt would be an instant favorite -- simply becuase the dieselly-ness has been wiped out of the thing).
  • brick22brick22 Member Posts: 71
    It sounds as though you prefer the 3.0 to the 1.8T. If so, why? Thanks.
    I test drive an A4 with a sunroof today and fit just fine. With the drivers's seat adjusted to fit me, there isn't a lot of room for a passenger behind it if they are the same size as me. Oh well, I won't be sitting back there.

I test drove a Mini as well today, and I have to say that I'm impressed with the amount of interior room they have... for front-seat passengers.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Jill-- You can't be still waiting, are you?? I have to assume that you are now in possession of your new Avant but I'd think that you'd have posted your impressions if you were.

?

--'rocco
  • brick22brick22 Member Posts: 71
    I'm still waiting. If you've been reading on Audi world there was a hold up in the ports--or at least in the Port of Wilmington--it was supposed to be here on the 4th. Then the 11th. And it didn't get here this week either. I'm getting disappointed and discouraged. And I'm even looking at other cars in my spare time.
    In January, I was in the holy land (Ingolstadt, Munich, etc.). At the Audi factory, they have a "showroom" or showcase of their models. The 1.8T car can be equipped with EVERYTHING the US 3.0 has (plus some things we can't get here -- like sat nav).

For my tastes, knowing that I would like leather, sat nav, 6spd, etc., I would probably consider the A4 3.0 over the 1.8T -- but the 1.8T is GREAT in every way (with the stick shift).

My comments were more a lament that the fantastic 2.5 turbo diesel is not available on our shores. I think it would be the best of the lot (until the S4 comes along).

Now, if I am wanting to tune my Audi, I would always pick turbo gasoline engined models.

The A4 1.8T and the 2.7T A6's (today) are the best candidates for performance tuning.

Putting the 225HP 1.8T in an A4 would be very nice, too.

Alas, not here (and as far as I know, the 225HP 1.8T is not available in the A4 body even in Germany.)
    Let me get the enthusiasm going.....

Someone living in CT reported on AW that he had seen the 03/04 S4 and A4 Cab running around over there.....anyone here had seen that in their neighborhoods?

I haven't seen them here in Chi town.....

Billy
    I've seen one in the driveway of a guy who I know is an AUdi technician at the Audi dealership here in the city. I must say that I like the sedan much better. The Cabriolet I saw was silver w/ a black top and 16" (non-sport) 5 spoke wheels.

• a4_4vincea4_4vince Member Posts: 25
    Just want to keep you guys posted, especially Mark. I did notice a major improvement on gas milage and fun factor after around 8000 miles or so. The car has been flawless. Mark, you were so right...I again thank all of you for the wonderful information displayed on this board.

vince...8o)
    Actually among the new A4 sedans, avants and Cabs, I would take the new Avant. It looks much better than the old one and even better than the sedan, in my opinion.....although I saw a just-waxed black on black 3.0Q sedan with the 17" rims on the road this morning and it's gorgeous.....which was followed by a 02 A6 4.2 which was even better.

Saw an S8 (black with tinted windows) yesterday with busted plastic backup light cover.....my heart almost stopped pounding for a second. Too bad the guy turned at the next intersection.....almost wanted to roll down the windows and yell, "I felt your pain, man".

Oh by the way my 01.5 A4 1.8T hit 21,900 miles with no problems. May take it to Toronto from Chicago in August on its first long road trip :> Can't wait for that.

Billy
    I agree that the Avant w/ Sport wheels is goreous. It looks more hunkered down than the sedan. S8 sightings are pretty rare. I've seen a Silver/Black, a Black/Black, & a Black/Beige S8 in recent memory. The S8 is definitely the ultimate stealthmobile!

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Has anyone out there bought a used luxury car such as Audi, Cadillac or Lexus recently?
    If so, and if you're willing to talk about it with a major daily newspaper, please send your vehicle and contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 31. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421

sorry, I tried to resist saying that, but I just couldn't. :)

HEHE that's funny.....I was thinking the same thing when I read Kirstie's post.....I guess an article alone is not enough.

Billy
  • wie_gehtswie_gehts Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone have any info or a link about when the 2003 A4 will be available and how the pricing will look like? A relative of mine is looking into buying one but he would like to wait for the 2003 models to come out. At what time of the year (Sept./Oct. maybe) do the new Audi model years usually appear?

Thanks a lot!
    Come out at different times every year. Could be as early as NOW or as late as Oct!

I would look for the price to stay close to what it is now.
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    From what I understand they have stopped taking orders for new 02 Audi's. I would think that means the 03's are soon to be here. Try asking here > http://www.audiworld.com/forum/index.html

Chuck

I have been to Ingolstadt several times for the English tour of the factory, delivery center, museum, showroom and boutique. Here is what I gather about the timing of Audi's.

The current year Audi's are made for about 26 weeks (so in 2002, we have already been making 2003's for a couple of weeks -- assuming the die replacements and other retooling were started exactly @ the end of either week 25 or 26). Sometimes, the TT & S4 are examples, a car will be called either a current year (extension) after the new cars are already out (the 2002 A4 was a new car, the 2002 S4 looked pretty much like a 2001, but was still called a 2002) or an eary next year car -- my wife took delivery of her 2001 TT in early July 2000 (which meant, according to the build sticker, that it was actually manufactured about 90 days prior to delivery.)

Generally next year's Audis are made commencing in July of the current year -- generally. Of course there are no 2002's being built anymore -- the '03's have already come on line. The fact that the first ones we'll see aren't here yet is a combination of several factors: AoA wants to get rid of the 2002 inventory and we are just at the very beginning of the 03 manufacturing cycle, and depending on how many "dealer or customer pre-orders" there are on the books, we probably won't see any 2003's for a least a few more weeks.

Sometimes, the new cars are "held in port" to aid the dealers (in the US, that is) get rid of last year's cars. The thought is that if you had a brand new last year's model and a brand new this year's model, the price reductions on last year's models would have to be even larger than they already are. Moreover, since a significant portion of Audi's are not purchased, but leased, the lease payments are often more favorable on the new car (because the residual is higher on the new than on the old)-- so some folks will lease an '03 over an '02, even though the price on the '02 is less (due to discounts).

They -- whoever they are -- say that the best time to BUY (in cash) a new car is when the MSRP is discounted the most. If Audi would ever offer 0.00% financing, that of course would be the way to BUY one of these cars if owning one was what you really wanted.

When financing a car, (i.e., Buying) end of year often makes sense -- and don't get me wrong, sometimes the lease deals at eoy can be very aggressive too.

So, the Audi folks in Germany told me that they make the new ones generally starting in July sometime. What AoA does with respect to bringing them to market may (often does) change the date when you can pick one up.

Being a car buying dinosaur, I always order my cars often as much as a year in advance. It takes way too much patience to do this, but the anticipation is exquisite.
  • wolf999wolf999 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this so please forgive me if I'm totally uneducated on the process. I just picked up my 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro. I love everything about the car! But...when I go over 65 mph the car seems to make a humming noise. I can't tell if this is from the 16" tires (which are new to me since my last car had 15" all-weather and were near bald) or if it is the car itself. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just wondering if I am stressing over nothing. Thanks for the feedback.
  • audibonaudibon Member Posts: 100
    FYI ALL:
    As of today I have not received a response from the dealer where I had my car serviced and one of my CD's was taken. I will keep you all posted if I receive a response and what the response is.
    Brian