Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Drove my friends new M3 tonight. My A4 felt like I was driving around with the brake on afterwords. That car is incredible, hitting each gear was like lighting off another Saturn V booster stage. Also the steering was extremely direct and the car was much more balanced and neutral compared to the A4. I didn't push it as had as I would a Quattro car though. I really like having Quattro to back me up when when going gets hairy. I guess maybe a spin in a new S4 is order.
  • I have driven, twice, the new 6spd manual S4 -- you will not be disappointed when comparing this to the M3 -- and then you can remember that the S4 has all wheel drive and, uh, what was that other car again. . .?
  • Billy..We have a unique opportunity while overseas to order U.S. spec, AUDI/VW, BMW, SAAB, VOLVO, and most U.S. makes through various Military/NATO sales dealers here. We also get them tax free and usually at a fixed price set by the manufacturer, therefore there's no negotiating the price. The price each year is based on the exchange rate, and right now it just plains sucks!!! Unfortunately, I can't reveal how much I paid for the black/black A4 3.0 Quattro I purchased, but the base price allowed me to get the premium package, cold weather package, and Bose stereo. I will only have to pay the sales tax if I register it in Illinois, which is something I'm not going to do. If I'm not retired, by the time I come back to the States, then whatever State I'm stationed in, I'll register as a non-resident which will exclude me from having to pay State sales tax, and all of the other fees that go with the registration process.

Now, on another note. The majority of Europeans buy the 1.9L TDI. I have seen a few 2.0 A4's, but because of the price of gas here, most drive diesel injected cars. I will tell all the read this board, that those cars will run in excess of 130 MPH! I have been passed on the autobahn while cruising at the governed speed and couldn't catch a VW Golf 1.9 TDI! This is very common. The adjustment for me should I return in August instead of three years from that point, will definitely be the driving!!
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Posts: 563
    Wow that's good deal.....but hey that's in exchange for your time serving the country there, right? Yeah were the exchange rates a lot lower than now you'd get a even better deal, right?

Yeah I was driving on the Tristate heading north yesterday and i was doing 80-85 with a couple of other cars and then all of a sudden this BMW 530i just blew past us at 110 or so. Rather stupid if you ask me, since he's sneaking in and out of traffic. No passing only on the left here in Chicago. Btw the law just came into effect here that says cars cannot stay in the left lane of a highway more than 0.5 miles unless traffic doesn't warrant it to stay to the right.

I've seen more Jetta TDI's lately. Guess they like the gas economy and the torque on the diesel vehicles!

Billy
  • Does anyone know how well does the Navigation system on Audi A4 quattro works? I wanted my new A4 with that option and there wasn't any, so i had to wait for 3 months. Is it worth the wait?
  • First from the perspective of a person who has been buying, almost exclusively, Audis since my first one in 1977 (a 1978 model 5000) -- don't "most people" order their cars from Germany custom built to their own wants and needs? (I know, really I do, that people don't). Ordering a car EXACTLY as you want it (assuming you can't get what you want from stock) is like dining at a great restaurant: first you read the menu, order the befores, main, sides and afters; then the meal arrives over a 3 to 4 hour period and you leave feeling like you have enjoyed a great experience.

Check out the brochures, test drive the cars on the lot -- configure EXACTLY what you want, wait 4 months and you will have the feeling "that new car feeling" twice in 4 months. As Carly Simon says: "anticipation. . . ."

Above reflects a lot of the "spirit" of the way I wish things happened -- probably not what Audi wants, also a little tongue in cheeky-ness and much more than a pinch of truth. Drive it like YOU live YMMV.

The nav system is worth it, unless you never stray from familiar territory. I even use it to navigate around my "relatively small city," Cincinnati -- especially if I am on a client visit and I have not been to the client's location; or, if I am going to the "new restaurant" in East Egypt sub-urban Cincinnati or Columbus. When we take cross country (200 - 250 miles one way) trips, you can use the "find" function for gas stations, ATMs and restaurants (hmmm seems to be a theme here).

My wife and I consider the sat nav a safety and convenience feature. Traffic Jam?!? Push the traffic jam button and you are re-routed around the problem.

Accurate -- about 97% of the time. Complete -- well for where we drive: Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Dayton, Cleveland -- about 95% of the time.

Gripes -- CD not DVD; smaller gripe -- no "moving map" but I've been in my friend's BMW with the moving map, and the commands and the accuracy are the same. Another friend has a Lexus and it's nav is DVD, which would be nice but I have only changed my CD once, when I drove to a meeting in Indianapolis -- no biggie.

Sat nav, among other things that as the Doobie Brothers once said (paraphrased) "What once were vices (excesses, perhaps) are now necessities (virtues, to be accurate.)"
  • It's not the latest and greatest system on the market. Audi is undergoing a change with their Nav system. The new A8 now uses a DVD-based system with a center dash map display. The rumor mill from Audi is that a scaled down version will find their way to the other models by 2005. A smaller version now exists on the A3 (not yet available in North America).

I don't have the system, but I have friends who have them and love them. It's a no-frills system that will let you know when you need to turn and where you are. If you're on the road a lot or like to go on long trips, it's a valuable asset.

I'll probably get one when the time comes for my next Audi. In the meantime, I'm now looking into getting a PDA/GPS system that I can mount and use while I'm on the road.
  • OPPS.........

Anyway, i just ordered a A4 3.0 6-SPD.....does anyone have a silimar experience on ordering...just trying to come up with rough estimate on the delivery date.

As Homer Simpson says........"MMMMMMMMM.......Deliveryyyyyyyyyy"

Holler
  • My experience in ordering (and I have ordered over 20 Audis): shortest time 11 weeks, longest time 11 months (the first TT). I generally plan on about 15 weeks.

I wouldn't have one any other way -- unless, of course they had EXACTLY the car I wanted on the lot. Hasn't happened yet (well, OK, once or twice).

Twice as much fun to order YOUR car -- fun to order and fun to pick it up!

Audi probably cringes when they see this in print, since they know most Americans "want it now!" and if they don't have it on the lot the customer may go to another brand where the inventory is more plentiful.

Problem is, I always seem to want that one option or one combination that is only availble in Screaming Chicken Fat Yellow at the dealer.

I usually get sat nav and stick shift. Other than my own cars, I have never seen "on the lot" a combination like that. Or, I want, sat nav+On*star plus stick shift and parktronic but no summer package with Bose -- well you get my drift; ordering is half the fun!
  • Edmunds Future shows a 2 door A4 coupe. Anyone know if this is planned?
  • I may be buying an Audi A4 Avant this weekend from an individual who recently bought a GIAC chip set.

I was wondering if I should buy the chip from him or not. I think I would like the extra power and torque but really want smooth delivery from as low rpm as possible.

Question: Is this a good chip set and will it overly tax the engine or should I by another chip set to get the smooth delivery of power at low rpm?

How much to pay for a used chip set?

thanks all.

BKJ
  • The chipped Audi my wife and I owned enjoyed two big changes -- gobs and gobs of torque, and the torque came on a few hundred RPM higher.

The net of this was the perception of a "notch" in the boost -- turbo lag. Not bad, in fact, it was a "rush" once we got to about 2400 rpm, but in the factory set up the torque is "there" at 1900 rpm -- so the net is, better acceleration, more grin factor per launch, perhaps lower gas milage because you "get into it more" and a bit more turbo lag.

GIAC has a good reputation.

What good is the chip to the seller? I would pay 1/2 of retail for it, therefore.

Hope this helps.
  • llwysellwyse Posts: 56
    I posted a note on another Edmunds Audi site ("Problems and Solutions") about the acceleration lag and then the lurching when the tranny downshifts ('03 A4 3.0 quattro with Tip now at 18,500 miles). Others expressed similar problems and I saw a few references to that on this site. Thought I would give an update here.

Went to the dealer again. No codes, but at least the service tech who rode and drove with me acknowledged the problem. He downloaded a readout to an Audi hotline. Again, "nothing wrong." ("No codes, no problem.") The service mgr says I'm the only one complaining about this. Yeah, right!

I wrote to the tech guru for the Audi Club ("Ask Uncle John"). His very interesting response is in the current issue of "quattro quarterly" (along with a similar letter from an A6 owner). The tech guru said he has three cars in his shop now with similar problems. Said it is a drive-by-wire "fuzzy logic" problem that Audi refuses to acknowledge. Hopefullly enough of us will keep bugging them until they offer a software download to correct it.

The service tech at the dealer did give me a good tip that has helped some. Apparently the "fuzzy logic" that tries to learn your driving habits and anticipate your needs is learning something from me (and I am not a left foot braker). So when my lag/lurch problem gets really bad, I clear the memory. It does seem to help. Here's how:

Drive the car. Stop and turn it off for at least 30 seconds. Turn the key on, but don't start the engine. Press the accelerator all the way to the floor, being sure you go past the "kick down" point. THAT IS KEY!! Let off the accelerator and wait for 30 seconds, then turn the key off. Start back up and you're good to go.

That has made the situation tolerable for me. Driving in Sport mode also seems to help some. Maybe this can hold us over til Audi gets a better fix for the problem "no one else has." :-) And you won't have to remind me to get a manual tranny for my next Audi.
  • . . .still remind you to get the manual tranny the next time. Apparently even the new 6spd tip can be made to mimic turbo lag.

Although I must say that despite the problems I have had with Audi's automatic transmissions, I did enjoy my 1997 A8, 1999 A6 2.8, 2000 A6 4.2, 2001 A6 4.2 and 2003 allroad. Only the allroad of this group of Audis that has been parked in our garage is a 6spd manual. All the others Audis that preceded the 1997 A8 and my wife's (manual only Audis) were manual.

There was no choice in the A8 when I got it -- and imagine the culture shock I went through when I traded my 1995 S6 in on the A8.

Elsewhere on the Internet there is a petition to Audi of America requesting, some would say demanding that Audi address this problem. I do not know of anyone with an Audi with the tiptronic that does not have this problem from time to time.

My sweeeet 2001 A6 4.2 sport would, unpredictably at first, go into lag-mode when it was most, how should I say, "inconvenient" (some would go so far as to say dangerous.) But I figured out how to more or less be "taught by the car" how to drive to avoid (mostly) the terrible tiptronic trials and tribulations (ain't alliteration fun?)

The tiptronic, as noted, does not like the Michigan system (left foot braking was called this when I took driver's ed in the late '60's.)

So cut it out.

The tip also doesn't seem to appreciate "rolling stops" or near stops or, frankly slow downs that are on the threshold of the down shift to first gear. And, if I'm lyin' I'm dyin' the tiptronic as it has been apparently programmed "hates" first gear. My Audis were hell-bent to get to the next highest gear so quickly (too early for my tastes) that I often felt I was rarely in the transmission/engine's sweet spot insofar as the torque curve was concerned.

In English: the car was in third (or whatever) gear about two+ seconds earlier than would be appropriate if you might immediately need to merge or accelerate briskly (without flooring the accelerator, that is). In the 2001 model there was no "S" mode and with the V8, well tip mode is a joke since the transmission shifts out of first gear after about 3 feet of forward motion has taken place, no matter what you do (short of full throttle acceleration.)

The tiptronic, IMHO, is probably not technically dangerous, but it is also pretty much Guaranteed to prevent acceleration unintended or intended, until you learn it's quirks and begin to adjust your style to it's programming.

The tiptronic is a reverse Pavlov's dog -- and the driver is the dog, the car rings the bell and the driver salivates, so to speak.

Now, I have driven a 2002 last on the lot S6 avant -- when I was considering a new allroad or S6 (and remember I was very very familiar at that juncture with the V8 and tiptronic marriage.) The S6 tiptronic was "righ now" responsive -- without flooring the accelerator. Perhaps the "way it should be" in all tip equipped Audis.

I am often loaned new Audis when my allroad is in for service and I can assure you that the CVT does not suffer from tip lag but that the A4 1.8T and 3.0 do, but the effect is about 95% masked if the transmission is kept in "S" mode.

Why or what in the wide wide world of sports would this transmission's obvious and repeated (everywhere on the net and in the quattro quarterly, for example) faults be allowed to soldier on (by Audi?) Moreover, even though a casual test drive may not uncover the lag, one would also wonder why more folks don't compare the wonderful manual 6spd and the tiptronic and come to the conclusion that the tip, even when it is on its best behavior, sucks the power out of the car?

Test drive a 1.8T and a 3.0 back to back with the two transmissions. The differences are not subtle; the manual transmission cars permit more rapid acceleration, control, performance and -- due to these attributes imparted -- safety.

The tiptronic appears to be cruisin' for a bruisin' if you read the rants here, there and everywhere.

Now, I for one, believe Audi got a bum rap on the Audi 5000 60 Minutes Unitended Acceleration fiasco; but the folks that carp about the current version of the tiptronic are -- by virtue of the numbers of them alone -- hardly on the fringe, hardly a bunch of fanatics -- generally speaking these folks are passionate fans of the brand.

Indeed, this, IMHO, is the only siginicant issue (currently) plaguing Audis otherwise fine line of cars.

Finally, even though I have a certain degree of incredulity that apparently "little or nothing is being done to address this problem," I also temper these opinions, facts and emotions with my perspective that the situation was, for me, annoying, sometimes inconvenient, sometimes embarrassing (when the only way I could get out of the way was to floor the accelerator which made the car LEAP forward -- which my mother-in-law didn't appreciate), but not rising to dangerous as is being alleged elsewhere.

Moral of the story and opinion: test drive both versions stick and auto. You choose. Afterwards, though -- realize that the current party line is "nothing is wrong." Well, pull the other one.

P.S. check post #213 on the edmunds town all allroad board, "it's everywhere, it's everywhere!" (tip issues, that is.)
    So, markcincinnati, you place all of this lag on the Tip? I agree it saps power, etc and appreciated all your other comments and insight......but doesn't that negate the drive-by-wire, fuzzy logic issue? I'm wondering if a performance chip would help? I understand there is a GIAC chip for the tranny as well as the engine. Any thoughts from markcinci or others?
  • Turbo charged engines -- even Audi's -- do have some lag, but it is virtually always identical and hence predictable and once you learn that the turbo lag is virtually absent from 1950 RPMS on up, well you can basically just keep things in the sweet spot (of course it is easier to do so with the 6spd manual).

The tip lag may exacerbate the turbo lag -- but the point is that the tip lag is difficult to predict, it is difficult to learn a set of behaviors that always always always achieves the same result. I did get pretty good at tailoring my driving to the tip's propensity to upshift early and therefore provide less "immediate" acceleration. As noted "S" mode, apparently, removes much of this by virtue of the fact the "S" mode keeps the transmission in gear a bit longer before upshift.

There are discussions of the tip chip elsewhere on the WWW and there is, more or less, an expert available at Joe Hoppen Motorsports (on the WWW, too.) Hoppen is an MTM dealer.

With respect to the turbo chip, well, this is the easiest way to get more torque and power from an Audi turbocharged engine. It should be noted, however, that the chip does raise the RPM's somewhat to achieve the massive torque that is transplanted into the turbo engine by virtue of the chip.

Other helpful mods include new pipes, ByPassValves, Bi-Pipes, and even larger turbos and even more aggressive chips.

I saw an Audi 1.8T TT that had been chipped and modded to 350HP, yet it looked normal in every respect save for the Candy Apple Red Pearl paint job and 18" super big bucks wheels.

The tip, for many, is unsatisfying -- I said MANY not most; for I do believe that most folks, even if they notice the tip lag, accept it, adapt to it and live with it simply because even with its flaws and lag it is an excellent transmission.

Driving a late model BMW auto, however, or an Audi Stick or BMW stick and then returning to the tip, makes the tip equipped version's slight hesitiation considerably more noticable.

I called it annoying, as I recall -- others, not I, call it dangerous. Virtually all notice it.

If you have the tip and it has S mode, try that first -- you may find in slow almost stop and then go traffic that "S" mode is fine.

With respect to the turbo chip -- personal preference all the way. I have a 2.7T in my 2003 allroad (stick shift), I did put sport ByPassValves on the engine, but find it quicker and faster than a huge majority of cars. And, thus far, full throttle acceleration onto a crowded Interstate has been safe, effortless and "fun."

Hopefully there is a software update that will be soon applied to the tip -- it must exist, for no such complaint, thus far, has been made about the RS 6 or S4 6spd tiptronic.
    I have a 3.0, not a turbo. Any advice on performance modifications for that?

And, yes, using S mode in stop and go does help some. I've been doing that for some time. Certainly addresses the quick upshift tendancy.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    In this 21st Century version of the United States of America, a manual transmission is probably one of the most effective anti-theft devices on the market, and the price, -$1,000+, is hard to beat. A few years ago, my stepson took his car into the high school auto mechanics shop to have some free work done. (The school charged for parts, of course.) He had to drive his car into the shop and drive it out again when the work was completed because none of the students taking auto mechanics, nor the teacher, knew how to drive a stick shift, and they all had their drivers licenses. My sons used to borrow my Audi's to show off that they could drive five-speed manuals, not to show off that we had Audi's. Besides a limited demand for stolen cars with manual transmissions, I assume there are fewer auto thieves nowadays who can shift for themselves.
    I second that, cosmo2! I wanted manual for my Audi, but my wife and I swap cars or share driving sometimes and she really insisted on an automatic. She has driven manual, but isn't very comfortable. I've regretted the decision ever since. I assure you I won't buy another Audi with Tiptronic! I bought 5-speeds for my sons to be sure they learned how to drive stick. Both worked as valets at a country club for a few summers. Guess who got to drive all the really cool, exotic cars?? They were often the only ones who could drive a stick. I collect British cars (currently a Triumph TR6 and Jag E-Type). We love taking them out with friends and so far haven't had anyone unable to drive them. It's that younger generation I worry about! :-)
  • Never driven a car equipped with a tipchip but others have posted on Audi-specific sites that it decreases the shift time of the tranny from 1 sec to 0.2 sec. Think of it as a short-shifter for your tip. Checked with GIAC and I believe they currently only have them for the B5 (pre-2002) A4s.

For the N/A 3.0, I believe GIAC makes an ECU chip but their website isn't up to date. Neuspeed makes one that increases power 7-9 hp (don't get nearly the gains as with a turbo) and costs $199. Rev limiter and top speed governor are raised.
  • So far GAIC has not produced a Tip chip for the B6 platform. Their website is misleading, but accurate when you try to order the tip chip (you'll get an error). Many of us Tip owners have been asking for this for 2 years now with no real response from GAIC. =(

I have added a performance chip from Wetterauer onto my 3.0. It increases the horsepower by 15 to 235 HP. It increases the torque by 20 to 241 ft. lbs. Essentially, it is doing a timing advance. Cost for the chip is at $395. Wetterauer is highly regarded in Germany, and their products are TUV certified. There really aren't many companies who offer performance mods for the 3.0 NA engine.

I've had the chip for over 15,000 miles without any problems. The easiest thing to notice is the torque increase during acceleration. I can feel myself being pressed further into the driver's seat than before. =)

As for the tranny, the only thing I have done was to lean how the tranny shifts (including learning the time delay between shifts) and compensate for the delays. I'm ususally driving in Tip mode 95% of the time (yes, the next one will be manual). I've learned to compensate the shift delay so I know when to hit the shifter (on the wheel or at the stick) so that the shift takes place when I want it.
  • The turbo engine chips have a dramatic effect, the NA(naturally aspriated) chips have a more subtle effect.

My buddy said that the 3.0 engine can be made to do more and that you need to determine how high the stack of 100 dollar bills is that you are willing to part with.

Anything that improves the breathing will improve the "urge" of the 3.0 -- lower restriction exhaust, perhaps sport air filter, a timing advance and of course the addition of an aftermarket "blower" -- a supercharger was at one time available for the 2.8 engine that essentially did what the turbo does for the other Audi engines but with 0 lag -- but big bucks.

A new set of cat back pipes and a chip on a 1.8T gives dramatic results for "little" money. No such "little money" option is available for the 3.0 -- the chip noted above is NOT a bad thing, however. It will just not produce the "oh wow!" difference that the chip produces on the turbo motors.

If raw performance is what you want and you haven't made your mind up yet and money isn't unlimited, here is a "value" proposition.

Acquire a new 1.8T manual transmission with the Ultra Sport package and whatever options you want, then upgrade the exhaust system and put a stage 2 chip in. The car should exceed, by a wide margin, the 0-100kph acceleration of a Stock 3.0, look a lot like an S4 and handle well too. Gut check: this version will be less money than a similarly optioned 3.0. However, the 3.0 has more luxury content and that includes some that is not currently offered on the 1.8T versions.

The thus modded 1.8T will be "more agressive" and you can take that as a good thing or as a contribution to a slight loss of refinement.

The 3.0 is a very sweet automobile -- and for my money, I'd probably just go with the 3.0, not modify it but order it with every sport item audi offers in their option sheet, perhaps upgrade by 1" the wheels and tires and perhaps order the sport exhaust system from Audi directly (www.audiusa.com/collection) or from the dealer.

In other words, I would trade the raw power of the modded (and cheaper 1.8T) for the refinement of the unmodded 3.0 Stick -- I like power seats, for one thing.

Either way, you have a great car.

Or, if money truly is no object -- bag these little guys and go for the S4 (and kick sand in just about everyone else's face -- if you're into that kind of thing).
  • giggsgiggs Posts: 41
    I was reading the exchange above between 5651 and 5652 and wanted to understand something a little better. Are you suggesting a person could drive their 3.0 quattro with Tip by starting out in S mode from a stop and then gradually shifting into drive as a routine form of city driving day in and day out to overcome the less than satisfying drive mode? I guess I would have thought all that shifting around between D and S would not be a good thing to do? I know you guys understand this stuff at another level so if this question seems lame - sorry but I'd appreciate your feed back. I was going to work with llwyse info from an Audi guru suggesting resetting the memory and trying to stay in drive with a view toward future improvement and maybe periodically having some fun with S mode. It sounds like markcincinnati is suggesting a blended approach of using S and D modes as a regular method of driving the car.
  • . . .universal course of action.

Some folks will find D mode acceptable virtually all of the time.

Some folks will find S mode a requirement to avoid the unpredictability of the learning mode when the selector is in D.

Some folks will always shift in tip mode.

Personally, when I am loaned either an A4 1.8T or 3.0 with a tip transmission, I run the entire time in S mode simply becuase, even though it still attempts to adapt in S mode, the S program leaves the car in gears as it upshifts a bit longer, thereby keeping the engine power in a range that makes the car respond "right now" rather than a couple of seconds "from now."

As noted, when I knew I needed acceleration "right now" in D mode, I knew that the only way I could have it when I wanted it was to floor the accelerator -- and, much as I love to zoom, most of the time I did not really need full throttle acceleration, but I called for it to prevent the lag that can occur when the car is left strictly to its own devices in D mode.

Some folks think D mode is -- quite literally -- dangerous (and there is a petition to AoA asking for remedy -- remedy, thus far, NOT compensation).

I find D mode, annoying, perhaps unsettling and from time to time embarrassing (when I make it "lunge" forward under full throttle when all I wanted was to, for example, "get out of the way" or make the light since I was already in the intersection, etc.) I, personally, have not had an experience that would make me claim that D mode is dangerous.

There is a much more eloquent question and answer pertaining to this issue on page 90 of the Winter 2004 Quattro Quarterly magazine.

The spirit of the Q&A can be summarized, if you don't have access to the full issue, thusly:

"Sometimes I pull out from a stop with a 'normal' accerlerator application and the car seems to be in a higher gear. Basically [the car] falls on its face. It simply won't move unless I pump the accelerator, 'waking it up,' then it roars off, snapping my neck! This situation is dangerous, frustrating and uncomfortable for a car of this quality (and price!). I'm about to give it up."

The person asking the question is refering to his 340 HP Audi S6 (2002).

This particular car is the one like I test drove when I was making the buy decision for a new allroad or a last year's leftover S6. My impressions were that the S6 tip was "the way it should be." This owner describes exactly the issues I had with my 2000 and 2001 A6 4.2 cars -- but this owner believes the situation has risen to dangerous.

For those of us who don't like it and don't think it should be an issue with cars of this quality and price, perhaps Audi should respond with a software or hardware patch. For those who think it is dangerous -- well need I mention "Unintended Acceleration" or perhaps Ford Explorer and Firestone Tire [and the word rollover]? No, I do not think the transmission will cause the car to roll over -- but can you say "law suit" or "class action" -- well you know, if you can't, there is someone out there who can.

Let's see the tip lag and drive by wire issues as they pertain to each other [apparently] have now made the Internet (at least three chat rooms that I know of) and the Audi Club of North America's house organ: "The Quattro Quarterly!"

Prediction -- and I am making this up -- somewhere there is an attorney with a Tiptronic equipped Audi of recent vintage who will have a problem, have a client with a problem or have a colleague with a [similar] problem. The costs of claiming "this behavior is normal or typical or that they all do it" could be quite high.

My guess is the software or hardware fix would be less costly (and less of a public relations nightmare) if some brilliant engineer would just find the appropriate PTF.

Tick tock.
    I believe you are correct. While I don't see this problem - in my very limited experience - as being dangerous, it is apparent that the absurd lag/acceleration is nevertheless real and will not be corrected until it becomes a dangerous situation. From all I have read, Audi is no doubt well aware of the problem. People often complain about how litigious society has become but you can almost understand why. It takes a catastrophic incident before anything is taken seriously.
  • For all you Canadian, have you ever bought tires from Tire Rack? Is there any extra import tax? How was the purchase experience?
    I was recently mentioning to llwyse that I got a quote from tire rack on tires delivered that was great. Nothing was said about import tax in the quote. Only UPS of 70.00 USD was added to the bill. Having bought from the US many times (not with tire rack) I would be surprised if you didn't have to pay duty on top of that. Call them in the morning and get that clarified. Some companies shipping to Can from the US have their own broker. I suspect these guys do to. If that UPS price includes duty - wow! I would bet, however, you will still be way ahead on price even with the import tax, from what I was looking at. Even though the CDN loon closed at 76 cents to the green back yesterday (up from 65 cents a year ago), their prices are simply a lot better than what I could see around these parts.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,628
    The odometer of Bronzehilde, my '98 A4 Avant/2.8 read 111,111 this afternoon. It still runs and looks great. These are really fantastic cars guys.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• ramza39ramza39 Posts: 23
    I found out today there are some scratches on the two front wheels (stock 17") on my A4 3.0 and the scratches are about 1-1.5" long and 0.5" wide. Any suggestions on how to remove the scratches or is there any touch-up paint to cover them up? Thanks!