Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

Comments

• pkrbkrpkrbkr Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know how the elevation info is obtained? Is is measured real time by the GPS or is it programmed into the data base? It would seem that is must be measured. I can't imagine the data could be programmed for every every conceivable latitude and longitude. The reason for my question is that the elevation at various locations I've checked does not agree with local info.
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    GPS is certainly capable of providing elevation information. Can't say if that's what this system is doing or not.
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    Willing to bet on the gps providing it... the nav seems to match my magellan gps300 info exactly... I do not believe they are providing the data necessary to supply you with topographic terrain data, the space would be huge.
    assuming the GPS/NAV is correct about elevation/altitude, is your "local info" letting you down or raising you to unheard of heights?
  • abendschein1abendschein1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if Honda intends to upgrade their map program to the point where it covers all the streets in the USA including small towns.
  • maximamaxima Member Posts: 19
    people said theres no nav in canada I'm really want one (in the toronto area) does anyone know where to get them and roughly how much do they cost?or is there a internet site I can visit? plz help
    try looking at alpines web site... I do not think you can get a factory nav system from honda... but the alpine system I believe is avail. along with a slew of handheld GPS solutions... or laptop solutions... http://www.navtech.com/market/alpine.html
  • jlanzajlanza Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a Nav unit. Any suggestions from anyone where I can track through internet, locations of same. I can access local dealers websites, but can't do all of Texas must be an easier way? Joe
  • md5033md5033 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    My family and I just returned from a long-weekend trip to Cape Cod, MA to attend a Wedding. I haven't been there since I was about 6 years old and my wife had never been there! We were able to plan the the entire trip, using the database locations for our hotel, restaurants for the rehearsal and reception dinners, and several tourist locations. I did not have to look at a map once. This was a great asset to have for a long trip in an unfamiliar location. I was pleasantly pleased that the facilities I was looking for were included in the database.

By the way, it also shows you all of the Honda dealerships along the way---in case you need vehicle servicing.

David
  • desalvsjdesalvsj Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed a Video Cassette Player and flip down LCD panel for the rear passengers? Interested if there is enough room under the drivers seat for the player. Sounds like there would be since the GPS fits under the passenger side, and a CD changer can fit under the driver side. Thanks
  • ralph8breadralph8bread Member Posts: 5
    I found out from a local aftermarket dealer that the newest Alpine NAV system has better coverage than the integrated system in the Ody NAV/Acura systems. The company that developed the database just sold a better detailed system to Alpine verses Acura/Honda. I was not too discouraged because the price of the Alpine system will set you back a minimum of $2800-3800 depending on the screen. This system also comes with a tiny remote control instead of the touch screen. (Just another something to lose or misplace in the vehicle) I really liked the screen that folds into the dash and becomes stealth, but i could not bring myself to spend almost $3800+ . By the way, this Alpine system would also replace your radio/CD and you need to add that feature back. It really hurts to be too close to the cutting edge. I want it, but i can (have to)wait!
  • jmhessjmhess Member Posts: 6
    Hmmmm.... so it costs $2800-$3800 depending on the screen, eh? That's about a $1,000 difference. I seem to recall that a couple of people in this conference were arguing about how much the quality of these little screens really impacted the total cost of a system. Your post (ralph8bread) is further evidence for one of those two posters. :-)

- John
  • dhaxtondhaxton Member Posts: 16
    Sorry John, but I don't believe it proves anything regarding [cost]. If anything, it proves the how different marketing channels affect [price]. Also, wouldn't you think a touch screen is more, not less, costly than a non-touch screen?
  • drmannydrmanny Member Posts: 1
    I received delivery of EX NAV 2000 2 weeks ago and was dissappointed to know that Albany, NY was not in detailed areas. contacted Honda and the upgrade will be available NOV.2000 for $150.00.
    well, can i use a CDrom from NAVTECH for NE USA( detailed area) as Honda seems to be the only DVD ROM based system and all other cars are CDROM based. is this DVDROM based system backward compatible
    any comments,suggestions welcome
  • robertmossrobertmoss Member Posts: 1
    If $150 is the retail price, I wonder
    what I will be able to get it for at
    partscheap come next November. I would
    guess sub $100.

Robert
  • alat2alat2 Member Posts: 1
    does anybody know how to reset pin #,s on nav, it seems that someone else entered a pin # on my nav and do not know how to reset them. Help! The manual does not talk about resetting them other than entering the pin #
  • md5033md5033 Member Posts: 8
    I had to start with the 4-digit antitheft code for my pin #s for user1 and user2 before I could use that feature. Give it a try!

David
  • alatalat Member Posts: 2
    thanks david I will try that however my wife just wont let go I havn't seen the van for a while. I will try your sugg tho
  • alatalat Member Posts: 2
    Is the DVD disc on the nav of the ody will be updated free by Honda for the first 3 years or does one buy them each year.
    Please post for info. Thanks
  • gmcafeegmcafee Member Posts: 11
    There was an earlier post (fairly recent) that said they contacted Honda by phone and said that the updates will cost $$. Not sure of the exact price (too lazy to look now) but seems like it was around $130. Remember, you don't have to upgrade every year. I probably wont anyway.
  • ramona3ramona3 Member Posts: 1
    We live in a small town- 4500- and have found the nav can find all address and places. I too have found roads I have prev. never traveled - it's been both fun and useful.
    We didn't intend to purchase- the 2g's too high, but lucked out and walked onto a lot with the ody we wanted, color we wanted so we drove it off, no wait, but an extra $2,000.
    We have had it tell us one friend is at a different place on the street, but they live in a very remote area so we were pleased it got us to the right vicinity.
    I'ts a fun toy, my 12 year old is the expert he figured it out without the manual and shows us what to do.
  • donmarshdonmarsh Member Posts: 5
    Just ordered Odyssey w/Nav.
    Now we have been used to DeLorme's Earthmate with Streets V. 7.0. Ranks at 3 of 5 stars - drawback is need for laptop computer in operation at all times. However, will the Nav System in the Odyssey allow or carry out the following:
    1. Ability to select routing? When we go from Virginia to Boston, we do NOT hit CT or NYC, but go up to the MA Pike and over.
    2. Apparently I read from this topic it will not adjust for actual speed being made over the road versus computer selected speed - a major drawback as I see it rendering planning of arrivals almost impossible. Even GM had this feature 5 years ago.
    3. Can one set preferences re: roads to be traveled i.e. "avoid toll roads" "avoid ferry crossings" etc?
    4. Does the Nav show the speed being traveled with constant update? Direction?
    5. Does it log the route taken and allow reverse routing?
    The Delorme program is probably on of the earliest on the market, but it is constantly upgraded. If some or all of the above are not presently available, may the owner of the Odyssey expect they will be easily included at an early future date?

We remain hoping for early delivery and the best in NAV systems.
    don
    Are any portions of Canada included in the NAV data base? If they are not can they be purchased somewhere now? If not now - when?

Don M.
  • jimblockjimblock Member Posts: 62
    I have had a 200 EX NAV since September and have put almost 4000 miles on it. I am very happy with the NAV system. The following are my best guesses as to your questions:

1. Ability to select routing? When we go from
    Virginia to Boston, we do NOT hit CT or NYC, but go
    up to the MA Pike and over.

ANS>> This can be done to some extent. They system will select a route based on your selected method, but you can alter the route to avoid any part of it. More importantly, you can just head the way you want and the navigator will recalculate its route based on where you go (in real time). You can use a DETOUR button to force it to reroute.
    You CANNOT however tell it a specific route, although you could pick intermediate cites to force routing through them.

2. Apparently I read from this topic it will not
    adjust for actual speed being made over the road
    versus computer selected speed - a major drawback
    as I see it rendering planning of arrivals almost
    impossible. Even GM had this feature 5 years ago.

ANS>> Only partially true. The system does adjust for actual driving speed and estimates arrival. What it does not seem to do is ever accept a speed above 60 MPH. Its estimates assume you will travel 60 from the current point if you are going faster.

3. Can one set preferences re: roads to be
    traveled i.e. "avoid toll roads" "avoid ferry
    crossings" etc?

ANS.>> Yes. You can avoid 1) toll roads 2) all freeways and can choose DIRECT or EASY routing. I do not think the navigator ever selects ferry routes on its own. (I live on Long Island and it never seems to route to a ferry, although the ferry routes ARE shown on the map as dotted lines.)

4. Does the Nav show the speed being traveled with
    constant update? Direction?

ANS>> Not really. It gives no speed indication. It does have an arrow that points towards North, but no measurement in degrees. You can ask for exact lattitude, longitude and altitude at any time, however.

5. Does it log the route taken and allow reverse
    routing?

>> No. But it can recalculate routes in real time (only seconds pause.)
    If
    some or all of the above are not presently
    available, may the owner of the Odyssey expect they
    will be easily included at an early future date?

>> No word from Honda. One might ask Alpine since they make the Navigation hardware.

>> Some of the better features that you don't mention:
    * Gives turning (and lane change) information orally in advance.
    * Has gigantic database of "points of interest" I am ever amazed to find little local restaurants and stores listed, although there are large gaps, too.
    * One major disadvantage is that detailed covered is limited to specific (although large major) metropolitan areas. In the rest of the country only major roads are known.

We remain hoping for early delivery and the best
    in NAV systems.

>> My wife and I really like ours (and so does our 7 year old son). I hope you enjoy the NAV!
    #116 Message sounds like a very good question. Why not changable CDs instead of 1 DVD that may or may not be upgraded to cover one's needs every year at a cost?
    DVD will completely replace CDROM very soon. I wouldn't think of buying a computer with a CDROM drive as DVD drives will handle CDROMs too. I don't think the issue with NAV compatibilty is the hardware and media but rather the software.

As far as upgrades go, DVDs are certainly just as upgradable as CDROMs.
    We took our first big trip with the van over Thanksgiving. I was expecting to use the Navigator to find restaurants along the way but it turned into a big disappointment. It appears that restaurants and most of the other things in the database are only listed in 'detailed' cities. I did find some gas stations along interstates outside of 'detailed' cities, but this was a rare exception. All rest stops did appear in the database.

I am finding out that when an address is used as the destination, it will get you to the correct block, but rarely the correct location on the block. It usually gets the correct side of the street at least.

I think one of its strong points is the detailed ramp information. I always know what lane I need to be in to catch the right turn for the ramp.

Had my Navi lock up on me once. I had to turn the car off and back on to re-boot it. All has been fine since.

It's almost December, so maybe I can get away with saying "Feliz NAVIdad", everyone! ;-)
  • alexskralexskr Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Anybody knows either it’s possible to buy Ody with navigation system in Canada? And does it make sense if I live in Canada (I mean are detailed maps available)? I’ve contacted several Honda dealers in Toronto area and they heard nothing about this possibility.
    Thanks for any comments and suggestions
  • bfranquelinbfranquelin Member Posts: 1
    We are in the process of waiting for our EX. My husband really wants the NAV system. Is it factory or dealer installed? Also, a friend said their dealer told them the NAV system can double as a DVD player. Any truth to that?
  • letmetalkletmetalk Member Posts: 19
    The Nav is a separate model Odyssey, the EX-NAV. It is an option that is installed at the factory. The dash is different and the climate controls are changed. If you are on the waiting list for an EX, you need to decide now to change to the EX-NAV. In our case, it shortened the wait considerably. It cannot play DVD movies or any other software.
    Dan
    I forgot to mention this one in my earlier Thanksgiving trip report.

I was planning a long, multi-state trip from my home town. I was unable to choose the 'Avoid Interstates' and 'Avoid Tollways' routing options since they were grayed out. I was only given 'Direct' and 'Easy' as choices. Of course there was a way to get there without using tollways and it was only a longer route by about 45 miles. Anybody know why I was unable to use those routing options? I couldn't find any explanation in the manual.

I played around with it some more and found that the only time I could choose those two options was if my destination was in the current metropolitan area. (I live in a 'detailed' city.) I think I found a bug in the software!
  • dnmillsdnmills Member Posts: 1
    any wanting an ody at any price must have more money than the know what to do with. Shame on Honda and Honda dealers for holding a gun to peoples head, and shame on the people for being so stupid to buy Hondas.
    Read a significant portion of the 10,000+ posts in these topics on the new Odyssey (starting early in 1998 and covering the 1999 and 2000 model years). Also take a peak at every review you can find about the new Odyssey. While it may not be the best for your needs (although I bet it is or you wouldn't be so upset! ;-)), you will find that the Odyssey is rated the best overall by all the professional reviewers. You will also find that the discussion of relative value has been covered, re-covered, discussed, re-discussed, argued, re-argued, ad nauseum. You will notice that no one in Illinois need pay anything over MSRP (but you might need to work harder than simply strolling into the nearest Honda dealer!). You will not find a single report of any armed salesman forcing Odyssey purchases on unwilling buyers. If you don't want one (your profile says you are looking to upgrade to a newer Merc), then why worry about those that do? Oh, one more thing; try reading the topic title and posting appropriately. That might help you to appear more reasonable. ;-)
    Yes that's right folks, MILLIONS of Odysseys.
    Just sitting here waiting for you to STEAL them!
    Come one, come all! Call Crazy Scotso the Honda
    man! He's at (718)SPAMMAN; thats (718)SPAMMAN!
    Hurry while they last! First 100,000 customers get a free Accord! Don't wait; don't hesitate! Call Now!

Fine print: All deals subject to manager approval.
    If we don't have any Odysseys when you call YOU
    were too late.
  • rodogrodog Member Posts: 2
    does anyone no the invoice price for the nav system ? the dealer has one & clms he`ll give me a deal one it. under mrsp.

thanks for u`r help.... rodog
  • rjc8rjc8 Member Posts: 16
    When it is very cold and my Nav has been parked for a while, my Nav shuts down and will not come on until my vehicle warms up. Is this normal? I am thinking it is some type of protection system for condensation or whatever. Otherwise it works fine.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Rodog, this is from Edmund's site for a 2000 model:

Navigation System (EX)
    $1,778 $2,000

Guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • jmhessjmhess Member Posts: 6
    Sorry this is off topic, but just couldn't resist.

How much do any of you want to bet that dnmills always votes for Democrats?
  • rodogrodog Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info
    rodog
  • mickeyrosemickeyrose Member Posts: 2
    Is there an Internet site with more detail about the cities covered as stated in Randyo's post #98? I'm asking because I noticed Randyo stated that Memphis 'METRO' was covered but then Nashville WITHOUT the word 'metro' was specified. I guess what I'm saying is.. would poor little Mt. Juliet City in Wilson County which is next to Nashville be included? In other words are the detailed city maps cut strictly at the borders or do they float out and finally dissipate. Thanks
  • abendschein1abendschein1 Member Posts: 2
    the elevation feature on my nav sys seems to be totally wrong. I can move the car 10 ft and get a reading that is 30 or 40 feet different. Also it frequently comes up showing 0 ft which I knoqw is wrong even though I live in the desert. anyone else having this problem?
  • letmetalkletmetalk Member Posts: 19
    I too, find the elevation information suspect. Especially below 500 feet. It was always within 5% or so at 4000-5000 feet judging by the roadside signs. Some times when I start the car now, it has me a block over and pointing in the wrong direction! It straightens out pretty fast, but seems to be getting more sloppy as time goes on. Still love it and would get it again on my next vehicle.
    Dan
    totally dependant on the GPS system... and probably the least accurate info it can provide... it seems to require more than the mininum number of accuired satelites to be accurate... you can look in the upper left hand corner to see the NAV's version of signal strength... I have a handheld GPS, if I get a chance I will compare the 2. I recently had to use the locate option off the setup/others menu to correct my vehicle position... this happened after the shelving materials I was carring slid forward under the seat and jarred the NAV DVD player... causing it to lock up. Cycling power cured the lockup, but it would not reset it's position...
  • c77c77 Member Posts: 1
    after reading through these posts I decide I am
    not purchasing the Honda nav system for 2K.
    for the following reasons:

-many cities/places are not covered including
    Canada. I live in the north east (Boston area).
    -it is expensive to update the dvd chip (around
    300 buck)
    -nav use is very infrequent unless you are a
    pizza boy or you go to a new place every day
    -if it breaks it will be very expensive to repair

instead I decided to use TeleType GPS nav system.
    for the following:
    -The unit is portable, all you need is a laptop
    or handheld pc with windows CE.
    -The unit is totally flexible. You can load
    any map you like from internet sites
    say for Canada, south America, etc ..
    -upgrading is cheap (59 bucks)
    -the unit can be used from any car
    -the system is international
    -the GPS unit cost around $600 only with
    12 channels

On the other hand, there is no voice or
    step by step direction but the software
    offers lots of nice features. You can down load
    a demo from
    www.teletype.com

I did not mean to upset those who bought the
    Honda nav but thought of offering my 2 cents
    for new buyers
  • marieymariey Member Posts: 1
    We've recently relocated from MA to AZ and the NAV has been fantastic in helping us find our way around. Not only has it gotten us around Phoenix and Gilbert, but even out in Queen Creek where we are purchasing a new home. The fact that it gives you so much notice is to me a great safety feature. Nothing like being an "out of towner" trying to find a particular street.
  • pfurlowpfurlow Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the DVD player under the seat has a video out jack?? I have not had a chance to look myself but will do this asap.
  • andrews7andrews7 Member Posts: 7
    I agree! No more trying to guess how soon your next exit is and what lane you should be in. We have had ours for six months now and love it for freeway driving. Took a 2100 mile trip last fall and could have done it without a road atlas. In fact, we found a state highway in Arkansas that was not on the atlas.
  • devendeven Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new Odyssey EX and wanted opinion
    about installing a remote start feature.
    Since the EX has the navigation system, I am a bit
    concerned about the remote start interfering with
    the electronics of the NAV system.
    Would like to know if anyone has installed a
    remote start system in their Odyssey EX NAV.
    My local dealer says he cannot install it.

Deven.
    your dealers refusal has nothing to do with the nav... it is the built in imobilizer that has to read the encoded key to start the car.
  • alan8alan8 Member Posts: 3
    dcrisler - I'll be picking up my CSS w/ Nav this Saturday. The Ody is supposed to have the remote starter already installed. If this "cannot" be done, then I'm wondering if the dealer somehow got around the immobilizer/encoded key to do it.

Can you describe the distinguishing features on encoded key so I can verify that the dealer didn't substitute something else?

Thanks.