Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti J30

Comments

• bscbluebscblue Member Posts: 103
    Griff, Infinitiparts.net has all sorts of wheel available for any Infiniti, OEM and aftermarket, and they even do wheel repair if you decided to keep the ones you have. Give them a try.
  • jspears2jspears2 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know where you can purchase replacement emblems, I have a 93 j30 and the "J3" have come off of the trunk lid.
    Griff you can purchase a remote at the dealer or from ebay, etc. It will have to be programmed, I am not sure if you can use the owners manual to program or have to let dealer do it. I had the dealer do mine.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    jspears.

This website has the "J-30" trunklid logo for $23.49.

http://infinitiparts.net/

• lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I got this from infinitihelp.com

Reprogram Key Fob

J30, 1994-1996 Q45, 1994-1996 G20

To reprogram (enter new ID) key fob (keyless remote controller) follow the steps.

1. Close all doors and lock all doors

2. From the door switch unlock the trunk.

3. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder six times within 10 seconds.
    Note:
    -Key should be withdrawn from ignition key cylinder completely each time.
    -At this time, the new ID code is entered and original (previous) ID codes are erase.

4. Manually unlock and lock the driver side door

5. Push any button on the new remote controller once.

If there is only one remote controller skip step 6.

6. Additional ID code entry
    Repeat step 4 and 5

7. END.

Note:

-If you need to activate more than two additional new remote controllers, repeat the procedure on step 6 "Additional ID code entry" for each new remote controller.

-Entry of maximum four ID codes is allowed and any attempt to enter more will be ignore.
  • mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    I have some OEM wheels for your 93 J30 in excellent condition to sell. If you're interested email me at mikeames@earthlink.net.

Mike
    Does anyone know how to get the serial number of the last J-30 produced? I just bought a very clean low mileage 97' that was leased by the original owner in early 98' and just turned in. I'm wondering how close it is to the last vehicle produced.
  • bendaddyobendaddyo Member Posts: 2
    thinking about buying j30 can you fit golf clubs in trunk saw that it was small
    that was one of the problems with my J30t. It only fit 3 sets of clubs. So, we could never take my car when we went golfing.

My 2002 Altima 3.5SE can fit 4 sets easy but it doesn't have to luxurious quality like the J30t.
  • bendaddyobendaddyo Member Posts: 2
    is the j30 trunk same size as j30t trunk i would be happy if it holds just 1 golf bag
  • fburgerfburger Member Posts: 2
    J30 and J30t trunk is exactly the same; only difference is the spoiler on top and hinge/spring strength required for the extra weight.
  • rbcookrbcook Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone.
    I have a question about gas mileage. My 97 J30 used to get about 300 miles/tank. Now, sometimes I get anywhere from 250 to 270 miles/tank. I am using Texaco 93 octane. I have used few treatments/injector cleaners two or three times, and the dealer did an injector cleaner process during the car's 45k service.
    What numbers for gas mileage are you getting? Personally, I think this may be due to Texaco gas. Sometimes, I find that Texaco gas is really stinky at times(high sulphur content, making the car give off a very unpleasant odor at times), although this may or may not be a related issue. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the catalytic converter - nothing was noted at the 45k service.

One other question, does anyone have a problem with their transmission going "nuts" at times, and shifting very eratically. I recently had the throttle position sensor replaced(paid for by Infiniti, because I complained loud enough), which seemed to alleviate some of its shifting woes. But, it still seems like this car is too eager to embrace 4th gear, no matter what speed you are traveling, or the amount of pressure you have on the throttle.

Thanks for your help,
    Robert B. Cook
    Garland, Texas
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Interesting, I had the starter replaced on my 93' J-30 with 100k miles, and when I got it back the remote didn't work for the trunk and door locks. The dealer's service dept. tried to tell me it was a coincidence and not their fault. I went to this website , and asked the Infiniti "expert".

http://infinitihelp.com/Infiniti/index.htm

They told me to disconnect the battery for five minutes and let the system reset. Then re-connect the battery and re-program the remote. It worked!!

Now the dealer's service department asked me for the website so they can get information

from the "experts".

• santex55santex55 Member Posts: 11
    for rbcook...I recently purchased a 97 J30 with 43K...so far, I've run through four tanks of gas...I'm averaging between 22 and 24 mpg. I live in san antonio, and only purchase diamond shamrock gasoline. I have been stopping for gas when the gas warning light comes on...and then I'm getting around 16 gallons, meaning there is still 3+ gallons in the tank. I don't remember for sure, but the odometer is reading around 350 miles or so.
  • peaceman34peaceman34 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1996 J30 in great shape with 58000 miles. What type of problems can I expect and would it be smart to buy an extended warranty for 3 years unlimited miles for $900?
    for Peaceman34: We bought our 97 J30 from Carmax with 42K and did buy a 36K, 3 yr. "bumper to bumper" warranty for $1500.
    It sounds to me that a 3yr, unlimited mileage warranty for $900 is a pretty good deal.
  • aarnejaaarneja Member Posts: 1
    I will be buying a 1997 J30 either today or tommorow. But it says J30t ... I wonder is there anything like this model. I tried searching everywhere, didnt get nothing on "t". Is it touring model ?
    Moreover, the infinity.com says, you get a 12month/12K free warranty on any of their certified car. Do i still need to get warranty ?
    I am confused.

Peaceman34: How much did you buy it for, if you can tell. I am getting it for $18000 with all the possible accesories other than Navigation & IntegPhone, with 40K miles.

Kindly advice.
    The t is a touring model with a sport suspension and rear spoiler.

You already have a warranty if the car is certified, plus you should have the remainder of the factory warranty, if any.

I just bought a perfect 1997 with 41K miles, and paid $17,300. It was also certified. It's like a new car, and I'm very happy with it.
    I was in the service station for fuel, and a woman, total stranger, walked up to me and said "You probably hear this all the time, but you have a beautiful car".
    Not bad for a car that was designed in the early 90's
  • mgranielmgraniel Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 1994 J30 and it is incredibly clean. I ran a carfax and everything checked out. It does have 115000 miles on it but I hear the car will last practically forever. Is $6000 a good price for a 94? There was nothing wrong with it other than a little wear on the driver seat leather and one of the plastic panels was off by the driver side. If anyone can give me some input I would really appreciate it. It was charcoal gray with gray interior. Very nice!
    $6000 is a good price. I have a 93' with 102k miles, and it's running very well. I was told it is worth about $8000. Yours will need a new timing belt if it wasn't replaced at 100k. If it was, you won't need another one until 200k miles. The timing belt was about a $350 job at my dealer.
    I liked my 93' so much I also bought a 97', and there is very little difference except for the mileage and the price. It's been my favorite car, and it's a well kept secret so you can get a lot of car for the $$.
    Is the one your looking at from a dealer or private party? Can you get the maintainance records for it?
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Searching for a used winter car, I'm typically looking at '93, '94 Civics, Corollas, etc.. when I stumble on some J30s going for a very similar price as these econo cars. So I start doing a more intense search on these J30s and all sorts of them crop up. Cars with very reasonable mileage are being given away for only hundreds more then similar mileage econos. What's the deal? What's the catch? Are they awful cars or just undesired and therefor a good catch?
    The J-30 has been a well kept secret, and I'm glad it has, because I was able to get such a great deal on a 93' and 97' car that originally sold for $40k. It was named one of the 20 best Japanese cars of all time by Forbes Magazine, and the award winning engine is still used in Infinti's and Nissan's. It's basically a 300ZX engine and drive train in a sedan body. The only drawback I've found is the rear wheel drive is not good in snow, but it is better for performance and handling.

Check out this website.

http://autopedia.com/Infin/97J30.html

• darctangentdarctangent Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I very glad to have found a resource such as this!

I'm researching to furture puchase of a J30t and I have a
    zillion(+/- 1%) questions

1) The J is gerneraly refered to as a "bad winter car" is this
    simply because its a RWD? short wheelbase? weight distribution?
    ground clearance???

I've driven vehicles of all designs since my teens (contruction and
    industrial background) and found while there definate diferences
    between car designs (FWD, AWD, 4WD being markedly superior) much of
    this jugement is subjective to the driver. i..e.- Atlanta comes to a
    standstill if the roads get any more that a light dusting, while
    Maine might consider that a "good" day. does this car fit in the
    catagory of a 911 or and RX-7? I haven't driven one yetand they're a
    rare breed here. I'd be interested in any and all response. Please
    tell me your location and what car you have (year, t, or not to t ;)

BIO

33, MALE
    Maintenace Manager for restuarnt chains(AKA CMO-can you guess?)
    (Journeyman carpenter, HVAC tech, gas & electric appliances, future
    electrician)
    20 miles NW of Denver
    ride- 2000 F250 service truck w/ 113,000 miles

see ya!
    The J-30 is not good on snow. Traction is very poor, and very similar to a 911 or RX-7, both of which I've also driven. I live in central Indiana, so snow is not a big concern, we just don't get that much. I like the handling characteristics of a rear wheel drive car, so I'm willing to trade off the inconvenience of a few snow days for all the other days when I can really enjoy driving the car. I think the only advantage of FWD is on wet pavement or snow.
  • halkideschalkidesc Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 1997 J30t. I have heard that the 1997.5s had side impact air bags. How much would it cost to retrofit my car with these? Does anyone know who could do the work?

BTW, on the subject of snow and ice, we don't get much of either in NC, but I tried to make my J30t slide on ice one day and it seemed to me that the car wanted to drive straight ahead. It seemed better than other RWD cars that I have driven, possibly because of the limited slip differential. Probably it's not as good as a FWD car, but it's not bad, IMHO.

Chris
  • xo247xo247 Member Posts: 3
    I guess this could be posted on another board, but after reading all 479 posts (I skimmed over most of the posts dealing with wood trim kits and headlight replacement), I was very impressed with the posts here. I was looking to buy a used car in the $10k range and never thought of the j30 until I saw some ads and researched it here. Did not have any idea how j30 owners loved their cars so much~!

Anyways, my question is how much of a discount from dealer's asking price should I expect?
    I've never bought a used car before, and I'm not sure how much off a 10,000 asking price I should realistically be asking to deduct from. I know when dealing with new cars, general rule of thumb
    is as long as after sales taxes, fees, etc, if the price is still under sticker, it's a decent deal.

Also, I used the Edmuinds' true market value used car price check for the j30 and I noticed that the touring models are priced lower than the base models. I would think that the touring model with the spoiler, firmer suspension, would demand a higher price. Anybody know why this is so? or could it just be a mistake on the Edmund's page?
    Thanks for all the great posts.
    I still can't believe I actually finished the whole discussion list.LOl. Great reading.
    TIA.
  • thekgbthekgb Member Posts: 1
    I'm now looking at a '97 J30 with 87,000 miles and the seller is asking $11,000. It's clean and has all records. I can easily put 30,000 miles a year on a car. I hope to have it for the next 3 years, racking up at least a total of 150,000 miles. Is there anyone out there with heavy mileage on your J30? What repairs/expenses should I expect to encounter. Does the asking price seem reasonable? Many thanks
    I have a 93'J-30 with 105k miles on it, and I had the timing belt replaced at 61,500 miles, when it was scheduled to be replaced. The dealer did it for $268.72 labor, $56.23 for the belt and $15.00 for anti-freeze. I believe the timing belts on the 94'-97' are good for over 100k miles and then should be changed. The other major work was for an air conditioner compressor at 72,418 miles which totaled $759.52, but the dealer picked up all but $246.32 because I had complained about it not cooling sufficiently before 70k miles, when the warrantee expired. I had some exhaust system clamps rust off, and the dealer replaced those for nothing. Interesting, the dealer told me they've NEVER had to replace a J-30 exhaust system.
    I also have a 97' with 45k miles, and so far it's been problem free.
  • alexhhoalexhho Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 97 J30 and while doing some reading here on Edmunds.com, I came across a lot of people claiming specifically that their J30s are the 1997.5 model.
  • rbcookrbcook Member Posts: 7
    The 1997.5 model was conjured up to make up for slow sales of the 1997 models. It had a different Bose radio(the button layout is different) and it has added wood grain trim to the front and rear passenger window switches. Over than that, there was really no change at all. No J30 was ever offered with side airbags. (1998 was the first year for the I30 to get sideairbags, but never on a J30.) I have a 1997.5 which recently got rear-ended by a lady who'd had a few too many at happy hour, and then fled the scene. Over than poor gas mileage and relatively high maintenance costs(Infiniti dealers really up-charge their services, at least here in Dallas), I love the car. The traction is not great in the ice/snow, but OK because of the LSD(limited-slip differential.) If they don't fix my J30 I will be sad, but won't miss it's high costs to own.
  • acarter2acarter2 Member Posts: 63
    I work for Carmax and I own a 95 J30t with 100k. I see a lot of cars every day and not many make me want to trade my J in. How ever all of the new cars in the J's class have larger wheels. This makes the J look older next to them. So I upgraded tastefully to a 17" wheel. It took me 3 months to pick a wheel that would look good on the J. Now when she is all cleaned up on the weekends, people always ask me ( is that the new Infiniti that just came out?) It worked! ill keep this car until the engine falls out!
  • chica_98chica_98 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process to buy a 1994 J30 Infinity. However, I do have some concerns. It has 133,000 miles and its a 1994. I'm very excited about it but at the same time I'm concern. I think Infinity is a very classy car and that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks all of you for posting in this site. I appreciate all of the messages.
    Can you get the service records for the 94' J-30? That would tell you a lot about how it was taken care of, if the maintainance was done on schedule and who has done it. Also talk to the previous owner, if possible.
    I have a 93 J30 with 150k miles and I having trouble with the headlights. When I drive at night, after a while the right headlight flicks on and off and then hi beams will not work correctly. I have replaced the bulbs but this does not help. Any suggestions out there??
    Your headlight relay is bad. It costs a over $100 to have it fixed. I believe the part is cheap but they always kill you in the labor.

Also, if you want them to diagnose the problem, that's another $80 - 150.

It's not the bulbs.
    Thanks LSC, do you know anything about the Bose CD players? It is very picky on what CD it will play, my cd's are clean but sometimes it will play and other times it wont.
    I had the same problem in my '93 J30t. It wouldn't play a lot of the 'burned' CDs and even some mix CDs..it wouldn't play right.

The CD player on my wife's J30 ('94) seems to be better but overall I think there isn't too much we can do about it.
  • jmullins2jmullins2 Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem with my headlamps, including high beam problems. it is the relay, the part is 42 bucks--you can replace it yourself if you have some patience, i did a poor job of it myself, but it now works. the relay is under the hood up next to the windshield on the driver's side, it is stamped "relay" in white letters...its clip-mounted, and can be easily pried off and replaced (good luck remounting though, i just tossed in the new one) and someone with small hands has to do the new connections--good luck-jm
  • scottj30tscottj30t Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.

I am from Vancouver BC on the westcoast in Canada. Have followed the forum for a year or so. Very impressed with the quality of the posts and the helpful, friendly comments...encouraged me to eventually join.

As my user name suggests, I own a 1993 J30t. Its black/black...something I always wanted in a luxury/sports sedan.

Here is my question! My vehicle came with a cellphone radio wired behind the trunk panel above the gas tank and under the rear speaker. The factory cellphone handset in the consol is wired through the car's audio system for hansfree operation...not bad for 1993 eh?

The handset however, was missing when I got the vehicle. Does anyone know if this can be replaced with an up to date digital/PCS cellphone radio and retain the handsfree integrated format?

I cringe at the thought of raising this thought with the local Infiniti dealer !$$!

Regards

Scott
    You might try this website for answers. Try the forums.

http://infinitihelp.com/Infiniti/index.htm

• creasian7creasian7 Member Posts: 3
    What's to love about a used J30?

I just bought a 1995 J30 with 120,000 miles ($5,500). I thought it was a good used car choice. But after I read all the comments on this board, I have decided to sell mine.

I just smashed my 1991 Acura Legend Sedan with 178,000 and with the insurance check got the J30.

My Acura didn't have one problem with it, except for a driver's side door regulator that went out at 140,000. Other than that I just had regular maintenance done on it.

According to this posting board, I should expect the fuel injectors to go out (at $200 a piece), transmission problems, headlight relay, window regulators, door lock timers, ac problems, stereo head unit problems, camshaft trouble, front-end virbration, problems driving on wet pavement, etc.

Why would anyone want to put up with all these common problems. My J30's sunroff already doesn't work. I'm not waiting around for other things to start going awry and my wallet to start getting thinner.

My Acura though not as unique looking at a J30, was trouble free for 178,000 miles and if you look at used car ads, you'll see Legends with over 250,000 miles with no major (factory) problems.

With all the problems that J30's had which are well documented, why would someone looking for a trouble-free used car consider a J30. A used-car buyer is looking for value with the least headaches. A J30, although inexpensive to purchase, comes with a list of documented, expensive headaches and when it comes time to sell your car, you'll only be able to sell it for a few thousand dollars too!

So what's the sense in purchasing a used J30. Because it looks good. Yes, it's got a unique design. It's fast. The inside is luxurious. But purchasing a J30 is like dating a beautiful, sexy model but knowing that she's a drug and alcohol addict with low-self esteem.

I just bought my J30 two days ago. When the title comes in about a month from now, that's when I'll put up my ad in Autotrader.com!
  • stevenson3stevenson3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a J30 1995 and love it, however, the air conditioning is not COLD. It is lukecool at best. ANyone else have any problems? I was told that Nissan just doesn't make good air conditioners, but man, this is ridiculous!
    Thank you
    Stevenson, I think that other J30 had to replace their a/c systems. This is a common problem with J30s. How many miles does your J30 have? What other problems have you incurred on your 1995.
    I just bought a 1995 J30 (121000 miles) with a broken sunroof. Have you had door timer problems, window not going up or down, any transmission problems or fuel injector problems. Let us know..

I thought they fixed these problems by 1995. The earlier J30s had these common problems. Thanks!
    Has Anyone ever gotten the driver door leather/vinyl repaired where the driver sets his/her left elbow? How much did you pay or did you do it yourself? Thanks!
    I own a '97 J30 with 50K. It has the coldest air conditioning I have ever experienced...and I live in Texas where the AC has got to be good. Sorry to hear about problems with AC, maybe they were corrected in the later models.
    My old '93 J30t had excellent air conditioning when I acquired the car in '97. In '99 though, the air conditioning didn't work as well, blowing warm air. Do you know what I did? I got a can of R134 refrigerant and a kit for $5 and charged it myself. It good enough for 2 + years until I traded my car in. To date my J30t had the best air conditioning I've ever experienced.

Also, I agree that the J30t is a bad used car choice for the most part. The car is a good value but the repairs are so expensive (luxury brand) that puts the ownership costs beyond reasonable levels. Unless you can fix the car yourself or have a good mechanic as a relative, it's not worth it.

My wife's '94 J30's engine is starting to sound a little rough and her radio hasn't worked for a year. It's a good thing it's paid for because we're not going to spend a single penny repairing it. I hope it'll last us 1 or 2 more years..then we'll junk it.
    then you'll be out some serious cash. Try to find a refurbished compressor but don't take it to a dealer ! It costs too much.
    I have two J-30s a 93' and a 97'. The 93' has had a few problems, not a lot, but the 97' has been problem free at 47k miles. I just passed the 93' with 100k miles down to my 16 year old son, and he loves the car. The money I've spent for repairs is not a problem because the car is such a kick to drive. It's still unique and turns heads, especially with the 17" aftermarket wheels! I've had people walk up to me, complete strangers, and tell me what a great looking car I'm driving. I think you hear about the problems on these posts, but you don't hear from the thousands of owners who have problem free J-30s. This car is a bargain for the price. I could have wasted my money on a more expensive Audi or BMW, but the J is just as much fun to drive, and I have better, more productive places to put the money I've saved. An Infiniti mechanic told me he thought the J was the best car Infiniti/ Nissan has ever made.