Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti J30

Comments

• txguy67txguy67 Member Posts: 31
    I'm in El Paso...Hoy Fox Infiniti is the dealer who I've had problems with. A friend had the 30K done on his I30 and the bill was $800.00, with new brakes on the rear.. Shouldn't the front brakes go out first? I suggest finding a local import repair shop in your area. If you'd like another J30 let me know...
  • deneen1deneen1 Member Posts: 2
    this message is for azylstra..i saw you said there was a kit you could get for the repair of your sunroof. i was curious where you get this kit from., or did you go ahead and get the car fixed
  • basgalorebasgalore Member Posts: 1
    My '93 J30's dashboard lights go out when I put on the headlights. Any thoughts???
  • sportsdad11sportsdad11 Member Posts: 3
    I've been told that all of the j30s have a posi-trac rear end. I'm just having a hard time finding info about them on the net, which brings me to my next question. I can't seem to find performance numbers anywhere. I'm looking for stats such as 0-60, skidpad, slalom, turning radius, etc... If anybody knows these or where to find them, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
  • bigjimbo2bigjimbo2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what year (if any) that the
    j30 went to the new freon style (r23?)for the
    a/c? I am getting ready to buy a '96, and want
    to make sure it is the new style, as they
    charge a lot for the old (r12?)...

Also, any recurring a/c problems with this car?

Thanks in advance!!!
  • bigjimbo2bigjimbo2 Member Posts: 2
    the new style is r134a to make it a correct
    question... I think most cars switched
    around '96, but as '97 is the j30's last
    year, I am wondering if the new freon a/c
    waited for the I30.......
    I owned a 93 G20 and it had the R134A refrigerant. I assumed my 96 J30 has the "new" freon as well. Now a question to all you J30 owners... Do you shut off the climate control before you shut off the engine? I can't find a "straight" answer from the dealer or anyone else. My worry is the compressor clutch going bad if you shut off the engine before the ac.
  • tseroder1tseroder1 Member Posts: 2
    i see a few posts about blown speakers, i don't think i have one, but i'm not sure since i've never heard one before, its sorta of a static/buzz type sound, but as soon as i crank it up at highway speeds it goes away, its when i'm at low speeds around town, sounds wierd and is annoying

also a suggestion for all you out there that have the lockout problem, i got a set of "plastic" wallet keys cut for the at AAA for free, they work great in getting back in the car, and if your careful enough, i even got the car started on the plastic one, scary huh?
  • oneunderparoneunderpar Member Posts: 5
    My '96 uses the new refrigerant. RE: txguy67 -- I'm betting the majority of people do not turn off the A/C prior to shutting down the engine. I've never done it and I've never had a compressor clutch go out. I typically keep a car for at least 5-8 years (and in Texas, no less). Not that any of that makes it the "right" thing to do, just some more info for your survey.
    Thanks Oneunder for the A/C help.
    Another question...I'm thinking of replacing my stock headlamps with the brighter "blue" lamps. I found them locally, but wonder if the new lamps will cause any type of problem. Has anyone switched out their lamps?
  • tseroder1tseroder1 Member Posts: 2
    depending on which ones you get, i have a buddy that owns a performance shop, so tested out the various models, what's his name is right the cool blue ones from sylvania don't get out more light, but they look cool and that it, i've personally got the toucan xenon plasma white in right now there white enough to have a tinge of blue but i think they are better then stock, i don't notice it in town but once i go canyon carving at night i notice the difference.
    As long as we're on the subject of modifying Js, my '96 is not a "t." Does anyone out there recommend adding any of the "t" performance items, like sway bars, etc.? I would certainly enjoy any extra handling I can get, but have not checked any pricing.
    I forgot to thank you for all your insight, azylstra -- that's some great information!
  • wolf22301wolf22301 Member Posts: 10
    I just drove the new BMW 330. A fine car indeed, but climbing back into my '94 J was a pleasure. After all these years the J interior still pleases. I was surprised at how spartan the 330 felt. I thought the leather was vinal. The J seats are great, wood accents are nice, fit and finish looks like luxury. The BMW seats felt unsupportive, interior doesn't pamper you. BMW was faster, but old J sings sweetly at 80-90MPG and passes like a beast when asked to. After 6 years trouble free, its hard to think about moving on. I'm shopping for a new car, but J makes it hard to move on. I'm trully sorry Infiniti dropped J concept. I30 isn't a replacement.
  • rtaylor7rtaylor7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 J30 that has 125,000 miles. It developed a tapping noise that started 3,000 miles ago. Performance has not been affected and engine runs fine. Tapping noise is only when in gear. Noise goes away when put into neutral or park. Any ideas as to what this tapping noise might be?
  • kdawk3kdawk3 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. The dealer said it was idling a little low, and after increasing the idle speed the knocking went away. Hope this helps.
  • lavigueurlavigueur Member Posts: 1
    I have just replaced 1 fuel injector, and it looks like the rest may go, from what I have heard, and the fact that the 'check engine' light is lit off and on. Any suggestions on where to go for extended warranty that will cover this 1200.00 bill before it happens?
  • jlinder1jlinder1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 93 J30 with 43,000 miles from a local dealer. I've heard some negative reports about the J30 and wonder what advice some of the J30 owners can give me. Specifically I've heard the J30 handles terribly in snow and even on wet pavement with lots of fish-tailing. Some have suggested snow tires are essential for this car in winter. I've also heard that the 93's have climate control problems with the a/c blowing warm air (check this website: http://cg.superpages.com/cgi-bin/php/used/reports/full/intro?CarRef=U216). Also, how much should I expect to pay for this car? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks. -Jeff
  • acarter2acarter2 Member Posts: 63
    I own a 95 J30t with 60,000 miles. I would like to replace the spark plugs myself as I have done in many of my cars. I can not seem to find them on the J, I don't see wires or a distributer. Can anyone help? I have looked from the top and bottom.
    After high speed driving, I sometimes smell burning oil when I come to a stop. I think it is coming from the oil filter. It seem that if I use a Fram it does not happen but any other brand does. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • propertymanpropertyman Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 93 J-30, 90,000 miles. during a test drive I noticed that the car handled a little rough, turned out to be a bad tire rod, which was replaced by the dealer. 24 hours later the radio went out, and while on my way back to the dealer, I decided to check the sunroof and noticed that it would stick while in operation. The dealer did fix the sunroof and replaced radio. I'm glad the dealer was the one paying the bill. I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to purchase a warranty pass 100,000 miles for this automobile, if so, please let me know because I plan to keep my J30 for a while. I have owned both the 3 and 5 series BMW but they dont come close to the performance and comfort provided by the J-30. She's a keeper
    I think that the 93 J30's had it share of problems, after all it was the first year. I would consider a 95 to 97.
  • rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    IMO, the J-30 has one of the ugliest rear-end designs of any sedan. Even uglier than the new Maxima and the new Sentra.
  • tstreatertstreater Member Posts: 5
    I own a 94 J30 with 111,000 miles lately I have been having some acelarating problems, the car would hesitate about 2sec. and then pick up speed.
    So I took the car to Rosenthal Infiniti dealer an they told me that the knock sensor was bad. I would like to know if anybody had any problems with the knock sensor before or knows what the knock sensor does. The dealer wants to charge me $1450.00 dollars to have the knock sensor replace.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
  • cgjonescgjones Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 j-30 with 80,000 miles. My problem is the inside lights (dash Lights) go out when i turn the headlights on. Also My cd player does not work and the FM does not pick up very well and my back speaker does not work. Please advise on these problems and how to fix them if possible. Thanks for your help
  • sharunkasharunka Member Posts: 2
    I don't know anything about cars, but I just bought a '94 J30 with 89K for $8,800. Is this a good deal? I love the car, had it checked out, and, except for a couple of reasonably minor glitches (which I expect the dealer to fix), the car is in great shape. 1) Please post a message telling me I got a good price; this will make me feel good. 2) I can buy a VERY comprehensive, bumper-to-bumper 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty from 1SourceAutoWarranty.com (rec. by Edmonds) for $1,700. My fear is that Infinitis are expensive to fix--I've read on-line horror stories of $2,000+ tranny jobs, fuel injector nightmares, and alternators costing $900 to replace. However, my mechanic said I should just put the money in the bank. The car does have 89K: What is your collective advice?
  • willdwilld Member Posts: 1
    $8800 for your 94 with the miles it has is pretty good. Make sure it got a new timing belt at 60k miles, 95 models and later are good until 106k.

Don't buy the extended warranty. Not for almost 20% of the purchase price of your car! My '95 has 82k miles and has only had the dimmer switch and the sunroof motor fail at around 30k. The motor and transmission are understressed compared to turbo Z's which I'd expect would give them a better than average life.

$1700 buys a half-dozen pairs of european shoes, what girlie-girl could resist that?
  • sharunkasharunka Member Posts: 2
    Maybe there's a reason I got a good price. My mechanic found the coolant level a half gallon low and signs of leakage on the water pump, but could not find a leak when pressure tested. The timing belt is original, and there's wind noise indicating a windshield leak. The dealer was at first rather hostile, even suggesting I just return the car for a "refund", but then said he would honor the checklist they signed before I bought the car for the extended warranty which specifically said the coolant level was full, the belts were not cracked, and there was no wind noise. Two headlights were also out, which they said all worked, which makes me think they didn't check the car over at all. However, I will not get final approval for the repairs until the Service Manager returns on Monday, and I have a feeling he will give me a hard time.

To top it all off, yesterday the powerlocks just quit. I cannot open any lock, with either the key, keyless entry, or even from inside the car, except for the passenger side, from which I have to climb into the driver's seat. Not too classy for a woman wearing gorgeous European shoes....

I had asked the Nissan dealer in Santa Fe before I bought the car for a service history on this Infiniti, which they said they could not retrieve because they were not interfaced with the Infiniti computer database. Do you think they are just trying to sell me a bad car?
  • klarkkentklarkkent Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 1997 J30. I am trying to find out what comes on the "t" that doesn't come on the standard J30. Can anyone tell me what the "touring" package includes?
    Their only a few differences between the j30 and j30t. The Type of wheels and larger anti sway bars, and the most visible is the spoiler on the trunk. I have read the the j30 has a soother ride. I own a j30t and I like the sporty handling.
  • dee29dee29 Member Posts: 2
    Within the last year my ABS warning light has came on twice. I had the car checked out with three dealers and one of the dealers was an Infiniti dealer in Nashville. No one documented a problem. When the light came on there was a noise from the black box and I jarred on that and the light went off. The last time the light came on I did the same thing but had to jump my car to start again. My J 30 has over 102,000. One time my brakes completely went out and I almost went under a semitruck. But the dealers said they found nothing wrong. It was scary because I really did experience not having brakes. I too am experiencing the occasionally door locking when I get out of the car so I guess I'll be dealing with that soon. Also have the sunroof issue going on.
  • 96chryscirrus96chryscirrus Member Posts: 1
    Hey i am gonna be honest with you... i am 14 and i do know alot about cars..i live with my grandmother and well...she is not your average grandmother...she wants something sporty..well at the same time powerful and luxurious ...we are looking to buy a ivory or as black infiniti j30 or a gold I30...i think she likes the j better...well i know i like it better...the I's back iend is to plain..we have 96 chrysler cirrus that we want to trade...and i diddnt read that many problems with the 1997.5 and that is the model we would get...we are also considering a acura 3.0 or 2.3 cl or a honda accord coupe ex V6....i think i like the i the best... in alot of reports i read that the infiniti is ideal for hyway cruising....i dont live in the city so most of our driving is on the freeway...does it have alright passing power...? is it good in the twisties? and is it really that bad in the snow ... it has a locking rear diffirential but no traction control...my cirrus has neither of these...is trhe sunroof really metal or is it glass?
    well please e-mail me your responses @ hilbilyman@yahoo.com
    well... please help me and enjoy your j's
  • rexroderexrode Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 J30 that is hard to start in cold weather. Upon the recommendations from the Infiniti dealer here in Albuquerque, I have had hotter spark plugs, and a new coolant sensor installed by my independent mechanic. I am wondering if anyone else has had this difficulty. The dealer has told my mechanic this is a common problem with the J30 engine due to a bad computer program. I was told to start the car in cold weather, push the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine. Did that this morning, and no luck starting. Only problem I have ever had with a fuel injected car like this.
  • infiniti_lemoninfiniti_lemon Member Posts: 21
    Maybe you guys can help me out, seeing that you are either Nissan customers or potential buyers. I appreciate any support you guys can give me.

Here is the website detailing my problems with Infiniti/Nissan over my lemon QX4. Putting the finishing touches on it this week, and I'm thinking about buying an appropriate domain name for it.

read all about it:

http://sleepwalk.home.mindspring.com

• benson8benson8 Member Posts: 1
    Funny you should mention your car not starting in cold weather. My wife could not start our 97 J30 this morning. We live here in Albuquerque, and bought the car used (it came from Scottsdale). I have heard of some questionable results from the local Infiniti dealer's repair shop. Who is your independent mechanic? Maybe I should look into hotter plugs and a new coolant sensor too?? Wish I had an answer to fix this problem, but it sounds like we are in the stuck in the same boat
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    California and Arizona J/Q seem to have a problem with the local gas blend attacking the injectors after years [6/100k] of exposure. Many of the cold starting / flooding problems result from injector leaks. This problem is unknown in most of country which does not use oxygenates or high aromatic blends.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/infinitiownersclub

1100 members 12,800 posts
  • rexroderexrode Member Posts: 2
    I have new information to share regarding the hard-starting problems I depicted above.

First of all, I'm not convinced the fixes of hotter spark plugs, and a new coolant sensor resolved the problem. However, for $300, along with the parts, I did get the following information.

I have had success starting the car on a cold winter's morning by pressing the accelerator to the floor, and cranking the engine. Understanding that it is not good to rev a cold engine, I let off the gas when I feel the engine catching (very important.)

On the occasions that I forget to do the cold starting procedure (one that is a no-no with every fuel injected car I have ever owned) I have flooded the engine. I have been able to resolve that by disconnecting the fuel pump fuse, starting the engine (it will run for about a couple of seconds), re connecting the fuse, and starting the engine without pressing on the accelerator, like it should be... are you reading Infiniti!

I know of no other fixes to resolve this condition. The Infiniti dealer here in Albuquerque has termed it a "common" problem. My independent mechanic is Japanese Car Care, on Virginia, NE. Hopefully, this information will save you some money, and the inconvenience of have the car towed (twice)like me.

********I own one, and now I understand**********
    There is a Infiniti Help Web site that talks all about Infiniti cars and problems that you may run into.
    INFINITIHELP.COM
  • spearsjwspearsjw Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 93 J30 with 123k for 7100.00. I love this car but it has its problems. First off the radio didnt work properly. It is a chip inside that is keeping it from powering up after the switch has been cut off. You can go to www.davescoolstuff.com and have it replaced for $125 or send it to Bose for $450-500. I ended up cutting the constant power wire and works BUT it loses memory. I had to relace the left CAM shaft and the sensor which was $1500 but it was well worht it. THe only other prob i had was the sunroof leaking and the driver side rear window getting stuck. It is a great car but not very roomy, I am 6'2' 315 and have trouble, it fits 2 great, 3 ok and 4 is a squeeze, no leg room in the back. It is a great purchase, I advise taking it to the dealer to have fixed, expensive but they take care of you-- Loaner Car
    To Spearsjw
    What problems were you having to let you that your Cam Shaft was going bad, was there a lost of power because I own a 94 J30 with 113,000 miles lately I have been having some acelarating problems, the car would hesitate about 2sec. and then pick up speed. It is weird problem, sometimes the cars feels fine. So I am just trying to get a little information on the Cam Shaft problem you were having. Any information I will be grateful
    Tstreater- the problems I had were hesitation and the car would vibrate very badly on the interstate at about 80-85. I could stop and let the car cool for about 5 ins and it would do o. for a little bit. I would begin to accelerate and have to "floor" it and it would still barely go. You can take it to the dealer and they will diagnose it for about 44.00 if it is the cam shaft and sensor it will be around $1500. My suggestion is if you can take it to a certified Infiniti mechanic and have it fixed for a 1/3 of the cost. I couldn't do it because I had to have a car for work.
    Thank You- Spearsjw for the information, I will take it the Infiniti Dealer and have them to check out Cam Shaft and Sensor.
  • wannardyewannardye Member Posts: 1
    Help!!! I am considering buying a 1995 J30t with 96,000 miles, for $10,000.00. Does this sound like a good deal. it rides like a peach PURRRFECT!!! I am so impressed with the sight of the car that I fear I may be making a unwise choice. I have read up on this vehicle and I am impressed with what I have learned to date. However, I am nervous about my decision, as I put about 20,000 mile a year on a car as my vehicle is required for my job. I plan to keep my 1990 Honda for back up. I am supposed to pick this car up on Tuesday 2/20,01. Can I get some feedback before then.

hew!!!! Thanks from Ms. WannaRyde in the Mid West!!!
    $10,000 sounds a bit high for a 95 with 96,000 miles. I have a 95 j30t with 70,000, and its a great car, not good in the snow. I would talk them down a bit on the price.
    Acarter, I would have the car checked out e.g. timing belt, trans., engine, etc. You can get the vin# and call the Inifiniti dealership near you and have them run the service history on the car. I have a 93 and the cam shaft went out, problems with left rear window, sunroof leaking, and my BOSE cd player going out. Just check it out real good, it is a great car though
  • doctordave1999doctordave1999 Member Posts: 14
    I am seriously considering buying a 1994 J30t with 97,000 miles. The asking price is only $7300, which I think is excellent. The car is in mint cosmetic condition and is being road-tested this weekend by taking it on a 500 mile round trip, which should give a good idea of its overall condition. I've read all of the 100 or so posts above and have noticed a central theme: most of them concern minor electrical problems. Lights going off, problems with radio, speakers, door locks, windows, sunroof, etc. I've seen very few posts regarding problems with engine/drive train/transmission, etc. I plan to buy the car and put aside about $1000 to deal with the anticipated problems above, based on others' experience, also I know I'll need to replace the timing belt at 105K in a few months. I live in the sunny Deep South, so I'm not worried about hard starting in cold weather or traction problems in snow.

Other than that, this appears to be one of the best deals for the money, that I've ever been offered. Basically, I'm looking for someone to talk me out of buying the car, because my mind is pretty much made up. Anybody out there want to give me some warning?
  • mixxalotmixxalot Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 1993 J30t with 63,000 miles for 10,000. The previous owner maintained the car perfectly and just did the 60k mile service at Infiniti. The car is in perfect condition. I hope that I got a good deal. So far I love my new car! The car has all records since it was new which is a plus and hopefully it will last me a long time. Can I buy an extended warranty for it and is it worth the money? Thanks
    A warranty would be a good idea, it should cover drivetrain, transmission and engine, I had engine problems wiht mine at 120k and wish I would have had a warranty. I think they are worth the money.
  • mixxalotmixxalot Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a solid 36k/3 year mile full coverage warranty for my 1993 J30t. I checked into a few places but you must be an auto dealer. is warrantybynet reputable? Can anyone recommend a good warranty company? I love my new J30t it is much nicer than even the 2001 Maxima and almost as powerful. I hope Infiniti brings the J back soon. Thanks
    Today I took my J30t in for its 60,000 mile service. The dealer gave me a 2000 I30. It was a nice car,but when I returned to pick up my J30 to drive home, I have to say that my 1995 J30t is a better car than the 2000 I30. The I30 was quicker, but that is it. The J at 6 years old still has a better ride and nicer inside.