Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti J30

Comments

• elliedt1elliedt1 Member Posts: 2
    hello, everyone.
    I'm new at this group.
    I have a question. I am planning to buy the above car for my 18 yr old daughter. This car is supposed to be well maintained by the owner, asking $2800. Checked carfax no problems stated. The question is---is this too many miles?
    Need a response right away please--- will look at this car tonight.

thanks
  • 94j94j Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the detailed instructions!
  • rick_the_mickrick_the_mick Member Posts: 11
    Hello Ellied!!
    Did you purchase the J-30? If so you may not welcome my opinion, but here you go.
    Similar to used Mercedes, BMWs, and Audis I have owned, my high mileage J-30 gives superb performance, but does require that I keep up with its service needs. You can read the common service issues in posts above.
    The dealer service is excellent but you pay commensurately for it. I keep mine up with what I can and am willing to do myself, what an excellent local repair shop can do, and for anything we can't solve, take it to the dealer. Good luck!
  • elliedt1elliedt1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. thanks for the input. Yes, we did purchase the 94 J30- it looks great!! My daughter was so excited. There were some little dings here and there-- but, we called my husbands friend who does body work--- and it will be ready this Sun. and will look like new again. There are some minor issues though-- like the sunroof- needs new belt. I drove it yesterday on the way home- it really runs great. Now, time to call the insurance co. and see how much it's gonna cost to be insured on an 18 yr old. We will definitely take care of this car. Oh, we were able to lower the price from $2800 to $2400.
  • forgeforge Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone.

Well, it's time. I gotta sell my 1997 J30. (The third child demands that I get a minivan.) The J30 is in great condition and looks very nice. It has the light green, or pewter, exterior. Not a weird green....a little beige. (The back end is beginning to sway a bit. I hope the struts aren't going out.)

Anyway, it has 63.5k miles on it. What should be my asking price to individuals (not to trade in)? Edmunds, Kbb, etc. are saying around $5K. But, that seems very low.

If anyone knows someone who loves the J30 as much as I do, let me know. I live in Kansas City.
  • harleydonharleydon Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 1993 j30t about 10 days ago. It had a few little issues. Had to replace front rotors & pads, oil change, etc....
    Two problems I have is that even though the AC works - it's not really cold & has a humid feel when on. I took it to the dealer & the 134a was only down one pound, so they topped it up , but it did not make any difference. Anyone have any ideas...
    The second problem is that between 50 & 80 Km's it has a vibration rumble. It seems to go away as you go faster.
    I've had it in two different shops & they seemed to be stumped. Anyone heard of this. Any info will be a help.
    Other than this, the car runs great ....
    -Harley Don
    Can anyone let me know how many miles or Km.'s they get on a full tank of fuel? Mine seems really hard on gas.
    Thanks - HarleyDon
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    My '95 gives between 21 to 23 mpg on about 80% highway - 20% city driving. Has been consistent for many years.
    Thanks for the reply. Being that I'm in Canada & we use liters rather than US gallons - it's confusing to convert. Can you tell me how many miles you travel on one tank of gas. Thanks.
    -Harley Don
    On most tanks, I go between 340 to 375 miles (or 544 kms to 600 kms). Hope this helps.
  • ninapooninapoo Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how much a good paint job would run on this? Recommendation in the metro Atlanta area?
  • sweetie33sweetie33 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else received the error message when trying to use the CD player.
  • bigpapidobigpapido Member Posts: 18
    I've gotten this ERR message too. I ended up replacing the Bose unit with an after market deck instead of paying for a repair. If you look on Crutchfield they have all the kit adapters for this car.
    If you would prefer to keep your Infiniti original, go to this site:
    http://www.carstereohelp.com/

They have step-by step illustrated instructions on how to get the unit out, they will fix it for a decent price, and get it back to you quick. I had them fix mine and two years later it's working fine.
    Regards, Rick
  • djpurpledjpurple Member Posts: 1
    More thanks for these instructions - I just successfully used them to fix my interior lights! :D

Notes that were different for me: I did not find it necessary to unplug the cruise control switch. Nor did I need to clean or disassemble the dimmer switch - in my case, it turned out the white plug that goes into the switch assembly was the culprit.

I took out the plug, and found that when fully inserted, the interior lights stayed on full regardless of the dimmer, while when the plug was pulled slightly out, the dimmer functioned correctly - good enough for me - we'll see how it holds up...
    Good comment - after working for a while, my dash lights went out - I also went back in and re-inserted that white plug to get them to work. That was good for a few months, after which it went out again, so I broke down and bought a new switch, works fine now. Regards!
  • rlawson1rlawson1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I have 1995 Infiniti J30 and the headlights on the passenger side will not work on high or low beam . I have check the fuses and bulbs all is good . So any ideals on what it wrong with the car . Thanks
    Hi, I haven't had that problem but there are tons of posts here from folks that have. Do a search on "headlights" and you'll find them. {Post #536, many others) have suggestions.

Regards,
    Rick
  • ilikeboatingilikeboating Member Posts: 2
    Hi -- can you tell me how to reconnect the wiring harness on a 1995 infiniti j30? Previous owner was short and had airbags disconnected. I put the fuse back in, reset the computer, to no avail. I believe they were d/c'd at the wiring harness. Any help or direcction is appreciated. Thanks! ;)
    Sorry never done it, please post if you find a procedure. Rick
  • howellmikehowellmike Member Posts: 4
    I recently had my J30 stall out in traffic, towed in, and when I tested everything out, found I had both spark and fuel, so I concluded it was the timing belt. After picking up a belt and tearing into it, I found I was correct: the belt had jumped 4 teeth on the lower pulley while the 4 cams remained in-time. After re-assembly, the car is not starting. If we pull out the fuel pump fuse, it starts right up until the fuel is used, and if we put the fuse back in, it stalls out. After owning an M30 and having security system issues, i'm wondering if that is the case now with the J. Any suggestions? Fixes?

Thank you!
    A follow-up to my previous post. We found out that if you close all the doors, including the trunk and hood, lock the car from the PASSENGER side (driver side wont work) it disarms the security system. The car started right up. Hopefully, this will help some one.
  • soukupjdsoukupjd Member Posts: 1
    About 5 days ago my driver side door just wouldn't open. I took it to the dealership and they told me the it was the lock that keeps the door shut that is broken most likely. I was just wondering if anyone else has had he same issues. If so about how much did it cost to fix it and where?...

Jennifer :lemon:
  • rdcarlislerdcarlisle Member Posts: 1
    I have always loved the looks of the J30 and once considered buying one new. Now I need a new daily driver and considering a J30. Looking through the fourum it appears that they are a maintenance nightmare. Am I just reading to much into this forum or should I listen to my wife and get a Accord or Camary?
    I have had one, and own 2 more. I have never had a problem with them, the engine is strong and it runs great. The last one I sold, the guy never changed the oil in a year, and blew it up. Should you buy one, and need parts, of the two I have now, 1 I bought totally wrecked to have parts for it. If gas mileage is a concern, it gets about 25 or less versus accord or camry closer to 30. If you can find one reasonably, I think they are a great buy for a luxury car.
    Mine is a great road car in warm weather, but I don't find rear wheel drive cars all that good in snow. You have to stay on top of the maintenance, plenty of quirks, but manageable if you have a good mechanic or can do some work yourself.
    Good luck - Rick
    It is a rock solid car if you can buy one that has been well maintained. This is more true for this car than an accord or camry. Since the resale value is bit lower than honda or toyota, you should be able to pick one up at a lower price.
  • court1court1 Member Posts: 3
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. My nephew is a mechanic and we just spent over 2 hours trying to get the interior door panel off but couldn't completely. We put down the window eventually, pried apart a bit and took a crowbar type thing and hammer and broke the lock. I now have to order a new locking mechanism.
  • court1court1 Member Posts: 3
    Common problem with 94 j30. You should have a little manual in trunk to show you how to take apart dash. It will take about a half hour to get to the relay switch in dash, sand the contacts on switch and put it back in. I did it 2 years ago and it worked for 1 1/2 yrs. time to do it again.
    If you need a new locking mechanism, I have one from a 93 J30; the door is wrecked, but the lock is good. Let me know if you're interested, i'll pull it off and ship it to you; make me a reasonable offer. It's doing me no good sitting in my garage.
  • heathkyheathky Member Posts: 1
    Hey people I have a beautiful infinti j30t that my father left me and it just now started having problems with the rear struts, and everywhere I go people tell me to goto the dealer for parts which are $800 just for parts...so if anyone could help me find some cheap parts please help me I'm not made of money and after I get it back on road I have to fix the AC/Heat system I was one of the lucky ones who left a AXE deodorant can in car and it blew up taking the blower system out with windshield last summer so the car has been parked and I want to get the honey mobile back on the road asap..please email me at HeathMoore68@yahoo.com if you can help me out here with some advice or money haha thank you :sick: :confuse:
    I have the door locking experience too. I can live with it, but was wondering if there is a cure, and what it is?

Thanks Rick!
    My '95 has power door lock with mind of its own. Just sometimes, the doors lock when you normally slam the door. I have locked my keys in three times and now have learnt my lesson by carrying a spare key in my wallet. Problem solved!!!
    Yes,

I have the same experience, and have gotten in the habit of removing my keys each time i get out.

Although I'm prepared to live with this, does anyone know why this happens or what the cure is?

Thanks Rick
  • bcornstars03bcornstars03 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 94 Infiniti J30 with 180,000 and it has recently started stalling as well. I'm pretty mechanical, but I am hesitant to start tearing into that crowded japanese motor. Did you ever figure out what was causing your car to stall?

My J30 is doing the same thing, once it warms up some electrical issues start happening. Its related to my breaks I think, when I tap them my lights dim on the inside and out. It eventually dies on me and I see a check engine sensor (which has been on for the last 15,000 miles probably although its been running EXCELLENT...) I also see my airbag light, seatbelt light, and ABS light. This has happened about 6 times in the last week. Sometimes it will stutter and the gas pedal is very non-responsive (which makes me think it could be a fuel filter possibly). After it dies on me, it is VERY VERY hard to start.

Does anyone have any useful knowledge???
    Try running the codes on the ECM. I don't have any idea on your electrical issues, but my check engine light was caused by a clogged EGR, malfunctioning camshaft position sensor, and defective coil(s), which although it still ran OK would have eventually caused it to stall.
  • cptwardogcptwardog Member Posts: 1
    If you are not averse to used parts, I have gotten a bunch of cheap used parts from salvage lots listed on car-part.com. That is the only place I have gone to look for parts since 2000.
  • rj777rj777 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I've got a 94 J30, under 100K miles. I ran some errands yesterday, and the car ran great. Parked it in the garage, now it won't start.

My neighbor came over and diagnosed the problem as some kind of fuel pickup issue. He tested all the fuses, and everything tested at 12V. Then, everything started getting complicated. After ripping all the panels out of the trunk, he uncovered the tank. Evidently, the fuel pump relay is working fine, because turning on the ignition causes gas to move. So cool.

He wants to start testing sensors, but we're not sure where to find them. The one he's specifically asking about is the camshaft sensor (I think), and then I'm sure he'll be asking about the locations of other ones. You guys have a better idea of what to look at, I think.

Anyway, where is the camshaft/crankshaft sensor located?

Oh, and Happy New Year!
  • dbrevelledbrevelle Member Posts: 1
    Well rbcook
    First, Congrats! I own a pearl white 97 j30t and yes the windshield defroster vent is popping up and because of the location (windshield vs dash) you can't get over it to apply pressure and have yet to pop them back in. I feel your pain. I'm at 112K miles and have not changed the timing belt and that worries me alot. I have had only to problems with mine (other than the dash vents) and fixed one today. It was the rattle of the right rear 6x9 speaker. I removed it (by the way, the rear speakers have their own on-board amps) and glued the center cone dust cover back to the main cone with thick cyanoacrylate (super glue). And the Bose system is now back and sounds clean. The other is the remote and door switch trunk lock. It moves but doesn't travel far enough to unlatch any more. Still investigating this one. Well you may have these problems to so be surprised :surprise: . Just enjoy driving again like I do but only when I drive my J :shades: . Oh yeah, I'm putting on the 2007 G35 OEM 17" five spokes alloys with GY eagle RSAs as soon as UPS shows up. Found them on eBay. So I'll also be screaming soon.
  • singlemom47singlemom47 Member Posts: 3
    Hello I have a simular problem my car vibrates when its ideling and when pulling away it jerks like just once im going to have the transmission mount check cause they say if thats broken or cracked it causes vibrations other then taht i love it
  • aledre50aledre50 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 J30, which I purchased at 47K on it. For the most part, it has been a very good car; I plan to stay in the infinite line. However, I have had problems with the window motors. I have changed two motors since I purchased the car. I am in the process of changing the second motor on the passages side. The motor is from a used J30 that had about 30K on it. I replaced the motor and when I preformed the operational check of the new motor, the window did not want to go up. It was very slow as if was binding. I double-checked the alignment I disconnect the motor and operated it without the window attached and it worked fine. I even lub the window tracks. I do know what is going on and I have done this a time or two….

Thanks you
  • balaskanbalaskan Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 1993 J30 in 2000 with about 12,000 miles on it. It had one owner with all work done by the dealer. I loved it and put 100,000 more miles on it. I totalled it a few weeks ago and am on another car search. I looked at J30s here in Houston and there were several listed with prices from $5000 to $1500. I see a lot of Infinis here which may affect the price being lower. In Seattle when I bought mine, Infinitis were unusual. Bottom line: J30 and mileage sound good, but price seems high.
    In 2000, I bought a 1993 J30 with about 12K miles on it. I drove it for 100K miles and it needed minimum repairs. It should have gone to 200K miles without any question according to my dealer and I delighted to have me J30 to count on for a few more years. Unfortunately, I ran into a terrible rainstorm on a black night in Texas--I couldn't even see my hood. Semis were everywhere, and I drifted too far left trying to avoid being hit and ran off the road into the median and hit a guardrail. Well, the car was totalled, I was virtually unscathed thanks to the airbags and the well-made car. Soooo, almost everything I read about J30s is good and people love driving and riding in the car. Now I am looking again.
    I was reading somewhere on this site, but not the forums, a number of posts by people who basically loved their J30s as I do/did, and several people mentioned problems with the sunroof and they seem to have just given up on it and kept enjoying their car. I had the same problem, and enjoyed it almost as much without a functioning sunroof.
  • singlemom47singlemom47 Member Posts: 3
    Hello I have INFINITI J30T 1994 AND MY CAR WOULD START AFTER I CRANKED IT TWICE LIKE IT WAS TRYING TO GET POWER NOW IT DOES NOT START MAYBE AFTER LIKE 10 TIMES TRYING MY BOYFRIEND SAID IT HAD TO DO WITH THE STARTER BUT THERE WAS ANOTHER NAME HE CALLED IT BUT HE SAID IT MIGHT COST 50 DOLLARS CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE THIS WOULD BE LOCATED AND HAS ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM I LOVE MY CAR AND NOW IT SITS IN MY DRIVEWAY :cry:
  • kennywildgoosekennywildgoose Member Posts: 2
    did you hear a howling noise before the car stalled out? im going to try your metod and hope my J30 starts up, let you know
  • dilton75dilton75 Member Posts: 2
    Folks,
    I have a 1994 Infiniti J30. Its been a great car for the 5 years that i have had it. i bought it with 160K miles on it and now am at 220K. These one of the most maintenance friendly car you can find. I did get the radiator and water pump changed at 200K.
    Since Dec 07 its being used less and less....i had a son....and bought a new FX35.
    I am now looking to sell it out. Its been a great car and someone looking to use it to drive around or ever for parts will appreciate the "No Dings" nature of my Infi.
  • VANCLIFF20VANCLIFF20 Member Posts: 1
    ok how much do u want for your car?I have a 93 j30 but i will mainly use it for parts on the mine if anything shd break down on mine...i will drive yours for a while though lol...whichever one will break down first will have the other for parts..Let me know...my email address is tbnorthwest@yahoo.com.
  • lilxstephi116lilxstephi116 Member Posts: 1
    I have an Infiniti J30 and I just got it about 5 months ago and it was given to me as a gift. I had replaced the transmission in it. it worked great for about 3 months. Well I started to replace the fuel filter and all that stuff and the car started to start shaking like the spark plugs were causing it but I changed those and there was still problems, the same problems. I don't know exactly what might be wrong but I was told it could be a sensor problem but where? Well the car will not start not no more, it will turn over just not start. If anybody can help please help, contact me by e-mail, LILxSTEPHi116@aol.com. thank you so much. :confuse:
    Did you connect the fuel filter hoses back in correctly? If you are unsure, try tracing the hose again to be sure.