Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 626

Comments

• gstern1994gstern1994 Member Posts: 4
    You guy's are terrific. Thank you for all the advice. I went in to Just Tires today to see if they could put my tires through the balancing gauntlet to see what if anything was the matter with them. This blew my mind - They told me all four rims (alloy) were mishapen and not rolling as true circles. I watched them put two of the wheels on the machine, and when they turned, they did appear to be spinning slightly awkwardledly, but it was hard to guage really. What are the odds of this really being the case, or the shop trying to point me in the direction of aftermarket wheels? I had them put the front tires on the rear for the hell of it, but the car rides the same, vibratory and harsh. I think I'll take mrdetailer's advice, and have the suspension looked at for failure. Maybe there is a combination of problems. I'm beside myself right now, how could each wheel be so screwed up? I'll keep you guy's posted. Thanks to all who contributed to my maitainence questions, I've just printed out all of the posts to keep on hand.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Are there lots of potholes near where you live?

-juice
  • gstern1994gstern1994 Member Posts: 4
    The roads aren't great, but not all that bad either. I live in a suburb of Washington DC. Go figure.
    Me too. We have one rim that is very slightly bent. Not enough to leak air, but I notice it.

If you have the 55 series tires, the profile is fairly low, so there isn't much sidewall to protect the rims.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    That would tell me I need a second opinion.
  • blacklabelblacklabel Member Posts: 11
    Well it sounds expensive, so I think I'll leave it be.

I posted on another forum about a fuel injection cleaning but several people said it usually wasn't worth it but it varies. Most of them just recommended to use the bottle of that stuff when you fill up your tank but my car has 129k miles and I'm pretty sure it's never been done and it really is bad accelerating from say 25-30 to 40-45.

Could someone explain what's with the HOLD on a 93' Mazda 626 LX auto? There was only like one page in the manual about the shifter, but I don't understand what HOLD is about, and why some of the arrows are in red and white and stuff, and there is 1,2,3 next to L,S,D, respectively. Thanks!
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    It changes the shift pattern.

Normal:
    D - 1, 2, 3, 4
    S - 1, 2, 3
    L - 1, 2

HOLD engaged:
    D - 2 (briefly), 3
    S - 2
    L - 1

For people who want all the functionality of a proper manual without actually having one, I suppose.
  • isonx002isonx002 Member Posts: 4
    Hey folks!
    'New to this board. I crashed my 97 Protoge last week and after some hurried shopping wound up with a 626 rental return with 10,000 miles for $12,900. It's an LX 4 cyl automatic. Pretty basic. A little underpowered but I prefer the better mileage. I'd have bought a 5 spd. but couldn't find one. I'm looking for a few accessories. Has anyone tried the Mazda Discount parts website? I ordered winter flloor mats from Mats4less.com. I still need some mud guards and am wondering if any one makes a bug shield. Any help would be appreciated!
    -Luther
    10k miles for $12,900? Wow, nice deal.

-juice
  • tdreotdreo Member Posts: 17
    2001 626LX 4 Cyl w/ automatic with 21,500 miles.
    Exactly one year old (yesterday).

Started shifting funny this morning on the way to work. When I got to work, (25 mile trip) I put the transmission into park and the O/D light started flashing. Now I have no reverse, it "slips" like crazy in all forward grears and the O/D flashes. I had hoped all the Ford transmission problems had been worked out by now, guess not.
  • isonx002isonx002 Member Posts: 4
    Wow! What a downer! And only 21000 miles. At least it's under warranty. Keep up posted on whether they replaced the whole transmission or it is just a sensor or something. -Luther
    I put in a bottle of some fuel injector cleaner a couple days ago when I filled up, but since Monday (put it in on Saturday), the car has been really loud. And I noticed it hisses loud and just plain sounds like hell. It's like the exhaust fell off or something lol. Is it uh normal for the fuel injector cleaner to do that?
    The cleaner may have dislodged some sludge in the engine, so maybe it's coughing it up now. Wait another tank or two to see if it goes away.

Bummer about the tranny. I hope Mazda uses the Jatco 5 speed auto from the MPV for the next Mazda 6 instead of the CD4E.

-juice
    Yah it really sounds like hell now. Maybe it's just a coincidence and the exhaust decide to go to hell all of a sudden. Its weird though, cause the service reciepts I got show new exhaust/work on it in 96, 98, and in 2001.

I think I can take it to the place that worked on it last and they'll quickly take a look at it just to see if anythings wrong for free.
    It's worth checking.

-juice
  • faceytfaceyt Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys. I just purchased a 95 Mazda 626ES w/ 115,000 miles and a new transmission. I have already replaced the tires(put on 195/70 r14), new fuel lines, and brakes. The car rides very nicely except for one problem. It shakes @ high speeds and hesistates when accelerating. But the car itself is in great condition for its age. Any tips or pointers any of you can offer? It would be much appreciated.
  • tdreotdreo Member Posts: 17
    Yep....It's history.
    The dealer said they got a "bunch" of error codes from the transmission. It has no reverse or first. (I knew that!) The replacement is on its way and with a little luck I'll have the car back no later than Monday.

Ford...Quality is job one!
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Are the Doubleought 5spds partialy/entirely Mazda?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
    Wow weak. I took it in and the mechanic said some pipe had a couple holes in it. It was some flex pipe, not a stainless steel. Again, there was just some type of pipe put on exactly 364 days before it went to hell, but it may not have been the same one like in the same place I mean.
  • binubinu Member Posts: 81
    I recently bought a 2000 626 Lx as a second car.
    While driving, I noticed that the headlights don't seem to have enough range. The lights are bright but the range ends abruptly at less than 40 feet.
    In streets that don't have enough lighting, I have to turn on the high beams.
    Does anyone else notice this on their cars or could it be an aiming issue with my car ?
    This is our First new car and I was caught off
    gaurd by the brightness of these lamps.I'd check
    the aim.
    Aren't they the self-leveling type? You can actually see the levels when you pop the hood.

-juice
    Those are to aid in the accurate alignment by
    adusting the screws instead of pointing auto
    at wall 4 feet away then screw the adjustments.
  • dermendermen Member Posts: 31
    I am looking for a new car and saw a 2000 626 LX with a 4 cylinder and AT. I read some of the previous posts and heard that they have transmission problems. I was wondering how often it occurs? I really like the car but I dont want to buy it if I will have to replace the transmission because I just did that with the truck I own now and it wasnt cheap. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated(sp).
    The statistics are probably locked away in a vault in Irvine, down two flights of unlit stairs, next to a sign that says "Beware of the Leopard". :)

You might also keep in mind that no one ever comes on here to complain about a transmission that hasn't failed.
    I will probably just stay away from them. There are a few other types of cars I am also looking at. I still have to do some research on them. I liked the Mazda over the other cars I like because it got a better safety rating and it was different. Maybe I will find one with a V6. I havent really looked a lot. I am going into the city this weekend and am going to look at a lot dealerships.
    dang....thanks for the warning phobe
    Can you drive stick? The manuals are pretty reliable.

-juice
    Yes, I can drive a stick. The only 2 626's I have found for sale in my area have the AT with a 4 cylinder. I am also looking at Dodge Stratus, there are a lot of them for sale around me, Saturn L series, and Nissan Altima. So far I have only been looking on the internet and in the news paper. Maybe I will find a V6 this weekend since some dealers around here dont have websites.
    The V6 doesn't use the CD4E unit, plus the engine is a gem. I'd wait for that one.

-juice
    Well I will let you know what I find this weekend. I found a 4 cylinder with a manual which I will be looking at. The only thing I dont like about it is that it is burgendy. Not really my color. I like driving kind of fast so I think I might not like the 4 cylinder. I have read that it is kinda slow.
    I'd call it adequate. The V6 is truly quick, though. Watch out for speeding tickets.

-juice
    The four with the stick is no slouch, though; you should be able to do 9-ish zero-to-sixty runs, which is close to what you'd get with the V6 and the automatic. Of course, the V6/manual combo outruns them all, and the four/automatic powertrain best serves as a lesson in patience. (I have one of these latter, but then I am old and cranky.)
    I am going to look at it this weekend. Im sure the car is plenty fast for me. But faster is better. The car I really wanted is a Nissan Maxima but they are too expensive. Anyway here is info about the car.

2000 Mazda 626
    13,626 miles
    power windows, locks
    manual transmission
    $12,795

Hopefully they wont try to screw me over on my trade in if I decide to get this car.
    I'd go to a Car Max and see how much they'd give you for it. Then see if they can at least match that.

Used car values have plunged lately, don't expect too much.

-juice
    Our Doubleought Freeport has 24K miles and I'm
    loving this left leg flexor ! For my needs this
    many horsies and being able to shift when she gets
    around 3300 RPMS is very sweet...luv those on/off
    ramps.
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I've never heard of it.
    It's a 2000 626 in Freeport Green Metallic, I believe.

(And if he shifts at 3300, he's more conservative than I thought.)
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    MX6 with 91,000 miles runs like a top. But why would it start immediately (and I mean as soon as the key is turned) when the car is cold; but when it is hot it's a bit slower to start. Not a problem yet but I'm curious. Coil maybe? And how difficult is it to replace those pesky little lights in the dash? the one that tells me Im in the power mode and the other indicating I'm in drive.
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    Forgot to say that the car is a 1991
    I definately want to make the 6 digit mileage
    club and tend to push that needle straight up
    only 3 or 4 times a week..YyeeHhaa!! I've yet
    to redline my sweetie...don't know if I can
    handle her. windowphoebe,are my RPM manipulation
    OK?
    Nothing wrong with being conservative, but I never was one to drive these things conservatively.

With the automatic, yet, I tend to do the 1-2 shift at 4200 to 4500 rpm, depending on how annoyed I was at the stoplight. (If I was really vexed, 5000.)

I have seen the redline in this car once, while I was going up a 10-percent grade on a short onramp in an effort to avoid the unfortunate consequences that occur with two objects attempting to occupy the same space at once, especially when one of them is a Freightliner. I wouldn't have thought that the dumb ol' CD4E would do a 4-1 downshift, but there it was, and there I was at 6500 revs for a second or two. Beat the truck by a good 15 feet, and probably shaved less than six months off my lifespan. :)

(Force of habit. I drove my 5-speed Celica like this up to the 195,000-mile point, when the steering gear decided it would be happier if it only had to go in one direction.)
    Revving to redline once per gas tank is a good idea - it prevents carbon deposits that can cause pinging. It's actually good for your car. Miata.net recommends it. :-)

-juice
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Going to redline occasionally won't hurt any engine in good condition. Just don't go past it if you can help it. Actually, the best thing for your engine is to drive it at various speeds and acceleration rates. Steady slow driving can be as harmful as too fast. For the most part, you will get these various conditions as long as all your driving isn't short city driving.

Spirited acceleration is fine. Just don't over do it.
    I believe Mazda has a fuel cut-off right after redline, so you can't do too much damage. Even revving to 500 under redline will clear the carbon deposits.

-juice
    Besides, I haven't seen many stock engines that are useful at or near redline. Typically, the engine quit making power 500 RPMs ago.
    My Miata makes peak torque at a way-high 5500 rpm, peak power right near redline.

-juice
    isn't red-line 6500?
    I think so, but the Miata needs revs, much more so than our 626 V6. It's a dog below 4000rpm. The 2.5l V6 in the 626 also likes to rev, but doesn't require quite the same revs that the Miata does.

-juice