Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 626

Comments

• number17number17 Member Posts: 69
    Mazda's TC system can be turned off by a switch behind the steering wheel.... it's a big asset for 'spirited driving' that involves some tires slipping ...

I don't believe Mazda's system can transfer power to the non-slipping wheel though. It simply retards the power on the slipping wheel and apply ABS.

btw, my 2 cents on car bra - don't go for it. Most owners who have used them over a few years find that salt during the winter deposit inside the bra and rust the hood / side panel metals under the bra.

• jgard1jgard1 Member Posts: 19
    "Good all season or winter tires are way better choices for snow / slush, and will prove to have more effects than TC w/ V rated tires"

Precisely the reason my 97 ES (w/o TC) gets 4 winter shoes come November. Wheelspin on snow and slush: negligible. Unless you are really trying ;) I have had the ABS kick in during quick stops, but (as designed) that good old static friction was always there.

Just some observations from another crazy Canuck.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    BTW, our V-rated tires are all-season and M+S rated, though they still stink in the white stuff. We have an AWD vehicle in our fleet so snow tires aren't necessary, but I agree with your recommendation.

Your post was well put and very eloquent, however you still never touched on the open differential, and for that reason there was one mistake.

You said TC can't do anything on a frictionless surface, but actually that depends. If one front tire is on ice, the other on dry pavement, the TC can actually shift power to the side on pavement and will effectively make a difference.

Perhaps stating it will "shift power" is improper. It actually stops the leak of power to the side with ice that an open diffy allows. So TC will move forward, open diffy will not.

Of course the driver is always the primary factor, but that's the case with or without TC, and a skilled driver will be able to make use of the TC even more than a novice.

Including in some cases the defeat button ;)

-juice
    "Your post was well put and very eloquent, however
    you still never touched on the open differential,
    and for that reason there was one mistake."

I agree. Unfortunately most cars have open differentials ... Maxima SE (and Sentra SE... though it's not in this class) is one of the few exceptions that has LSD. But LSD is useful for launching in slippering surface when only 1 wheel is slipping. If both driving wheels are slipping, then it is as bad as an open diff =(

Obviously, there's also AWD, which pretty much guarantee your car will never get stuck unless you're in a extreme condition, or your tires are REALLY slippery so that all 4 tires slip. But then again, AWD is a pricey feature, and you face the question of how often do you drive in the boonies where AWD makes a great difference. In the cities where the road get salted and shoveled, FWD and some driving techniques will do in most cases IMO ... Then again, if $$ is not an issue, AWD is a nice to have feature .... Thus A4 Quattro is still on my list for my next car = )

btw, V-rated all-season tires make compromise towards performance rather than winter driving capability .... to handle the high speed, and typical requirement for performance from V-rated tire drivers, the rubber used in V-rated tires are stiffer, and softer H-rated all season or snow tires will prove to be more grippy in snow and slush.
    Paragraph 2 - exactly.

Miata also offers an LSD. Not many others besides 4WD/AWD vehicles.

I got a feeling someone like you will be able to appreciate AWD in dry conditions too. No torque steer (that V6 is peppy!), less understeer, distributes the load, etc.

Sure it weighs more but that's why there are choices out there, so you can pick what suits your needs.

-juice
    Yes AWD is not only useful in bad weather conditions, but it helps on dry surfaces as well - more forgiving during 'spirited drivings' and gives you more confidence under hard cornering... I came VERY close to buying a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. But the car is underpowered, especially when AWD system introduces more losses to the drive-train, so the 2.5L 165 hp engine that feels more like 140hp is overburdened for the 3000lbs car. The (lack of)power, together with cheapo interior, high price, lack of features, and lack of dealer incentive package eventually wrote it off my list. For the $$, I'd rather sacrifice AWD for more power and performance in the 626 V6....

If Subaru had the H6 (212hp) available to the Impreza I probably would've bought it. But then, it probably would cost even more, and even harder to justify.

A4 1.8T Quattro is a nice car for the $$. It's not as fast as the 2.8, but a chip mod can easily boost power to exceed 200hp (though it also voids the warranty) ... the 2.8L V6 engine is also heavy, making the car kind of head-heavy. Also the A4 2.8 Quattro costs quite a lot more than the 1.8T, which has better ratio of "Fun to Drive Factor" / $$.

Otherwise the choices of AWD cars in the relative price range is scarce. Subaru Legacy is even more expensive than the Impreza, and even leather and wood interior cannot hide the fact the car is heavier underpowered. 330ix is out of the price range or else it can be a good alternative to the A4 2.8 Quattro.

AWD is a nice feature, but the lack of AWD cars and the price premium can easily steer me back to 2WD cars with better snow tires and sensible driving for bad weather days....

• johnlwjohnlw Member Posts: 28
    I posted this in a Maintenance topic, thought I'd add it here. With all the posts on this transmission, I wonder if my final assumption is good?

Bad News--our 1998 626 (4 cyl. auto) with 24,000 miles on it has to have its' transmission replaced. It was shifting poorly, starting in 2nd gear,just not working right.

Good News--The dealership (Russell in Ellicott
    City, Maryland)gave us no hassle, told us they
    would do it under warranty no problem, and they got us a Protege to use while the repairs are being made.

I feel that the new transmission should be
    bulletproof under the theory of lightning not striking the same car twice. Hope I'm right, I
    like the car.
    More power is on the way. They'll have turbo Imprezas in the Spring, with serious power, for less than the A4 would cost you.

The H6 engine should trickle down the line, and I imagine a GT-H6 would be worthy of a test drive once you're ready to buy.

-juice
    John - The Mazda 4cyc auto tranny used on the 626 is actually a Ford part. It's known to be problematic .... Some people have had it replaced more than once, colleague of mine here has had it replaced once on his 94 626, and his car has not had a single problem since .... so it depends on your luck I guess.

I can't believe Mazda / Ford has not got around to fix this problem yet ...

juice - on off topic rants, I wonder if the turbo is really going to make it to NA. Subaru's promised they'll bring the turbo engine over and that is a promise they made years ago - I'll believe it when I see it. I look forward to the next Impreza (supposingly 2001 models coming out this fall) regardless. The Legacy GT is pretty expensive as is if decently equipped, and it can easily cost more than the A4 1.8T Quattro with the H6 engine option, and it still lacks class, prestige and sportiness of an A4. I love subie's, but I find them generally overpriced.
    Like Mazda, though, Subaru dealers discount heavily and eventually offer rebates. VW charges near list for 4Motion, imagine Audi.

Plus, Audi charges extra for the moonroof, sport package w/ 16" alloys, not to mention Quattro. Those alone add almost $4 grand to the price, and that's before you chip the engine.

The A4 is also much more compact, almost Protoge/Impreza size really. Plus, it's a lame duck model - the new one is around the corner.

Again, Subaru and Mazda tend to equip their models in the $20k+ price range with much of what you want standard. That's the nice thing about a high-end car from either of these, vs. an entry level Audi.

-juice
    VW charges near list on EVERYTHING, partially due to their poor ordering process. They never seem to have enough demand of cars that people want, but too much stock of cars that nobody buys. 4Motion is kind of an extreme case, as it is a new feature on the Passat and there is a big demand for it right now... But it's true you never get as good a deal on a luxury vehicle like Audi than a Subaru.

I was waiting for an incentive pacakge from Subaru for quite a while, and I would have bought the RS if any kind of incentive was offered on it (like I said, I love the car, and came VERY close to buying it). But Subaru has not offered any "real" incentive package on the RS in the last 1.5 years. They offered 6.9% finance for up to 24 months on the base Impreza's and that is it. I got my 626 for 2.9% finance, 48 months. Mazda Canada is even offering 0% finance right now on ALL Mazda's up to 36 months!! That'd never come out from Subaru. Maybe it's a little different in the states.

Anyways, for A4 1.8T Quattro fully loaded, the MSRP is Cdn$39k. Legacy GT with 2.5L H4 engine has MSRP of Cdn$35k. A H6 option, if it becomes available is going to cost $3k at least, if not more, bumping its MSRP to within $1k of a fully loaded A4 1.8T Quattro!! It becomes an easy decision at that point.

I do agree the Audi has a cramped backseat, and is inhumane for bigger dogs to sit back there. But it depends if passenger carrying capacity is on your priorities .... for me, it's not ... my last car was a 2seater = ) The A4 is also more sporty than the Legacy ... maybe that is the reason why Subaru is limiting the H6 engine to the Outback - they don't see too many people going for a Legacy that costs as much as an A4.

But if Subaru can bring over the turbo engine, or put the H6 engine in the Impreza, make the interior less plasticky, keep its current driving dynamics, and offer more civilized features, and get rid of all those cut-corner moves (like removing the light from the trunk area, making the rear seat a non-folding seat instead of very useful 60/40, using metal sunroof instead of glass moonroof..... etc etc), and offer the car at the proximity of price of a Prelude +/- $1-2k, I'd be gladly trading in my 626 next year and getting one of those = )

True, Subaru's incentives are small for the Impreza, generally $500 or less. Mazda has huge rebates to help get a heck of a bargain.

Pricing here is different, at least transactions prices are. You can get a GT Limited (leather, roof, AWD, ABS, 16" alloys, even auto) for under $24k.

I want the turbo as a 3rd car. The 626 is a loyal old friend, it would be a waste to sell it for next to nothing.

-juice
    In post #298 I wrote about having my transmission replaced at 24,000 miles. The dealer called yesterday and said it will take at least a week as they are changing quite a few pc boards and other components as advised by Mazda. I have a free rental, so I am not too inconvenienced, the dealer has been up and up.

My question is should I unload this car now? I see where quite a few folks have had recurring transmission problems. I cannot believe Mazda would not fix this if it is bad design, but it seems possible.

Since they just overhauled the car, they should give me top dollar on the trade in, and they just got a bunch of Tributes in.....Is the 626 safe to keep? I need reliable transportation.
    Are they offering you a warranty on the new tranny?

Even if they don't, you should be able to milk it for a year at least. Then you could get the Tribute at a discount. When new, they'll demand near MSRP.

-juice
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Yes, the wife I are pleased with the improvements
    also.Best 16K we ever spent.The 2.0 with a clutch
    has been such a fun time.We are looking forward to
    putting 6 digits worth of mileage on our sweetie!
    Thumbs Up
    Bryan
  • jarbob69jarbob69 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of purchasing a rental fleet Mazda 626 LX from Hertz. For $12,795 I can get all the options that I need in a car plus a 4 yr./48,000 extended warranty to tack on to the existing factory warranty from when the car was new (what is it, 3/36,000 ?). The car I am considering has just over 25,000 and everything seems to work great and look great.

--It is a V4 auto. I have read that there have been some transmission problems with these; especially with the '94-'97 models. It should be covered under warranty should something happen, but is the transmission still considered a major problem in the '99's?

--How is the gas mileage?

--What should I look out for if I buy this car?

--Is this car a good buy or am I getting ripped off?
    I'm not sure I'd trust an ex-rental car with a history of tranny problems.

Just my 2 cents'.

-juice
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    I bought a '95 626 LX back in October '95, and it too was a former rental car. (Also came from Hertz) It was a 4cyl Auto, and had 10,600 miles when I got it. I just sold it in June with 39,000 miles on it. Never had any transmission trouble. Only problems I had were it started misfiring earlier this year, needed new plug wires. And, when I had the 30,000 mi service done around 3/99, the dealer said the rear struts were leaking. I complained to the dealer and Mazda saying the struts should last longer than 30K, and VERY reluctantly they covered it as a one-time goodwill repair. I'd consider another Mazda in the future because they did that, otherwise I wouldn't have.

I bought a new Accord V6 when I sold the 626, as I wanted more power than the 626 had. I was also concerned I'd have to replace a tranny someday if I kept it. I tried a '00 626 V6, wasn't that much better than my '95 in performance.
  • bondgirlbondgirl Member Posts: 1
    I had a 96 Mazda 626 and loved it. We started having problems with the trans and decided to trade it. We bought a Camry mostly for the reliable name. We are looking for a second car now and I would love to get another 626. How are the 99 and 00 with trans?
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    If you get the 626 WITH THE V6 ENGINE, the transmission is a Mazda unit and is very reliable. The four cylinder engine's automatic is actually made by Ford and has a bad history; however, it was supposedly fixed for the '98 and up models. The manual transmissions in the I4 and V6 are both Mazda units that are reliable. The I4 and auto combined are rather sluggish anyway, so go with the V6 and never look back!
    I'm lovin my 626...granted I reside in rural
    west central Il in a town of 11K with no
    traffic hassles. SheandI enjoy the personal
    selection of RPMs.I'll never look back.
    Thumbs Up
    Bryan
    .... IS SWEET!!! Best part is it costs thousands less from any competitor that offers V6+5spMT combo, domestic, european or japanese!! I'd never look back!

In any case, word of advice is stay away from the I4+AT combo.

• 4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    I am glad that everyone is enjoying their 626. I am happy about this since this is the only new car that I am considering buying new.

Here's a question: How's insurance on a '00 Mazda 626 LX V6. I read in a book that there is a surcharge. Is this true? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • mfnmannmfnmann Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 97 626LX I4-auto from Carmax in March w/19k miles for $12,000. It's been trouble from day 1. Under warranty I've the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter replaced by the local Mazda dealer. The engine light just went off again and
    I'm not sure the car is worth the effort. I have
    an extended warranty but the hassle doesn't seem
    worth it. I think I bought a lemon. However, I also don't think Carmax did much checking of the car, so I KNOW I won't go back to them again.
    Anyone have problems with this model?
    How about with Carmax?
    (this contrasts with my previous car, a 91 Camry
    5 speed with 151k that still had the original clutch and transmission when I totalled it)
    4u2: get actual quotes. My wife's 626 costs more to insure than my Subaru Forester, but not by any significant amount.

-juice
    We got our 98 4cyl auto back from the dealer last week. They replaced the transmission. I had posted on this when it happened. It runs great now, really feels smoother than before. The dealer was quite good about it, we got a free rental for more than the allotted four days.

My only concern is that I think they put a rebuilt rather than new transmission in the car. I don't know if this is kosher or not, heck--I don't know if it is worth worrying about.

The gas mileage has never been great with this car, about 20-21 mpg. I wonder if the new transmission will cause an improvement? It really is a nice car, we hope it stays strong from here on out.
    It's more than reasonable. I've checked out the insurance of the Accord 4cyc at the time the 626 costs ~ $200 less than Accord 4 per year. I am actually paying less on my brand new 00 626 LX-V6 than my 4 yr old del sol VTEC.

Accords get stolen a lot, that may be why.

-juice
    Insurance premium for Honda's are typically HIGH here in Toronto .... partially for the reason all Honda's are high on the theft list, and also the fact a lot of racer-boys like Honda's, and they get into accidents / get tickets .....

• robaltimarobaltima Member Posts: 7
    When we got our 99 LX V6/auto we had a hugh increase in insurance. Of course the car that was replaced was a 93 taurus with 150K miles and only had Liab. coverage. :) Seriously our agent told me that the taurus was a 3 on some sort of insurance scale and the 626 LX V6 was a 17. The higher being more expensive.

Anyway we have had the car for almost 1 year and have put 20K miles on it. We have had only two problems. One was with a door rattle when we first bought it that was quickly fixed by the dealer. I know some have had problems with the dealer but my experiences have been pretty good. The second was when a elec. relay sensor(or something along those lines) went out and caused our a/c cooling fan in the engine compartment to run all the time. This is the fan close to the radiator. Anyway it happened while we were on vacation and fixed quickly by the local Mazda dealer. It honestly took less then 30 minutes. We are happy with the car and glad we got the V6. I only wish I had sprung some extra $$$ for the wheels and a sunroof. Maybe next time.

BTW, my 626 color is called meadow green which is not a standard color. It is not the deep forrest green and almost looks silver or gray with a green tint. Does anyone else have this color.
    I know what you're talking about. We saw that after we got our forest green model, and would have liked it better.

-juice
    Yes I like that color too ... it's similar to the color my friend had on his 93 Legend ... kind of a silverly green - very unique color.

The metallic grey was my 1st choice when I bought my 00 but with a MT, there were very few choices... actually only 1, which was black, and is what I'm driving now =(

Oh well, at least black looks nice after a wash ..... but it doesn't last long. Usually 2 days =(

Black looks great when its clean, IMHO. Especially with tinting.

In the winter, when the salt trucks come, it looks the worst!

-juice
    Just took my car in for the first mantainence yesterday at 6000km. I mentioned I noticed some glass-rattling sound in the back, and the dealer replaced the window regulators for me at no cost. The rattling was pretty minor and only happened when I went over big bumps, but now it's completely gone! The whole job took no more than 45 min and I'm pretty happy (compared to my old Honda experience, where waiting alone takes 45 min ..... thus I used to change my own oil ... )

Anyways, after 6000km with the car I am still loving it. The followings are pros and cons IMO-

Pros
    ====

1. Highway Power - it's simply great. I just leave it in 5th on the highway and there's always more than adequate power under my foot from 80km/hr up. FOr those instances when I REALLY need the power, downshifting to 4th and power RUSHES out.

2. Handling - the 626's handling limit is high. The steering is sharp and accurate, it is a lot of fun to toss the car around twisties - and it'd be much better if the suspension isn't that soft.

3. Comfort - the 626 is very comfortable for short and long trips. The seat on the 00's been revised you are not sitting on the floor (no more bathtub position), the ride is comfortable, suspension absorbs the shocks but lets you know what's going on. Interior is quiet even at highway speed (no need to turnup the volume on highway anymore!).

Cons
    =====

1. Suspension- it's soft. Though the car's handling limits are high, the body exhibit a tad too much body roll during those spirited drives.

2. Interior - well I'm getting used to it more, but I still don't understand why Mazda uses light grey as the primary interior color in all its cars (except Miata) .... I've always hated light grey interiors but well, at least the 626's interior design is otherwise ergonomic.

3. Low end punch - it's not really a con, but just a comment. I remember when I test drove the car it seemed to have more low end torque than mine, especially around 2000-3000rpm range, which makes city driving a lot more fun. Either it's the fact power corrupts and I just constantly want more power, or there is a difference between the test drive vehicle and mine. I suspect one of the possible reason is the test car uses lower octane fuel (85) that gives better low end response but worse high-end. I've been using premium fuel as the manual suggests .....

Anyways, love the car. If anyone's looking for a sporty, fun to drive V6+5spMT mid-sized sedan yet still is practical, comfortable,and roomy, I'd recommend to definitely give 626 a serious look. It's the 'unsung hero' in the mid-sized imports market, and for that it gives you best value.

• mcdcmcdc Member Posts: 6
    My girlfriend has that color.

I love the car, she hates it though, for no real reason. She says because of the CEL on, which is just o2, sensors need replaced.

The real reason she hates it is because she paid $12K for it with 46K miles on it('96), and doesn't like paying that much. She drives a lot and thinks it will fall apart before she gets it paid off. I stopped trying to convince her so she is going to try and sell it for $10K pay off the loan, drive her '90 Probe GL which won't last long because she drove it into a flooded street, and eventually go over to the dark side and buy a Honda or Toyota(good cars but I don't like them), which she thinks she can buy a good used one with low miles for about $7K.

I think she will be making a big mistake.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    It really doesn't seem to pick up much steam until you pass 3000 rpm. Fortunately, passing 3000 rpm is as simple as a movement of the right foot. :)

The torque peaks on both engines have generally been in the 4500-5000 rpm range, though Mazda eventually got around to recalibrating the four-banger for a little more low-end grunt (this would be, oh, 1998 or so), perhaps reasoning that buyers of the four were less likely to go exploring the top half of the tach.
    $7k for a used Honda? How used? 1992 maybe, but not 1996.

A '96 Accord LX with the same mileage is valued at the same $12k she paid (per Edmunds), sans options. The V6 pushes that up to $13.5k plus options.

She's dreaming.

-juice
    Our Freeport LX vists the 4k range regularly
    and I thourghly enjoy this area! I'm looking
    forward to playing in the mountains come snow
    fall!
    Thumbs Up
    Bryan
  • breaksrbreaksr Member Posts: 9
    My 1996 Mazda 626 LX with the 4-speed automatic has been experiencing some problems when shifting. When changing from first to second or second to third the car lurchs and forces the passengers to be pushed back in their seats. This appears to be more noticeable when the vehicle is warmed up. I also noticed this problem appeared to start after bringing the car to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. The mechanic added transmission fluid even though the vehicle did not need it. I had the trans. fluid changed at the dealer a month later and the car still shifts abruptly. Not sure what to do now. I see a lot of other posts for transmission problems here and at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars
  • wmorledgewmorledge Member Posts: 3
    I'm in a dither. My new car quest has come down to a toss up between the Camry LE 2000 and the Mazda 626 ES V-6. For the money, the Mazda is a much sweeter deal, especially with all the options it includes. Toyota, on the other hand, makes one pay dearly for even the slightest bit of luxury. My concern is that this purchase will mark the only new car I'll be able to buy within the next 5-7 years, so it's simply got to last. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    The Mazda will cost a lot less up front and will be a lot more fun to drive. The Toyota is probably screwed together a little bit better and will get back part of that premium purchase price in ultimate resale value. I'd have no problem going for the Mazda, but then I already have one - seven years old, and runs beautifully, though not without a couple of hiccups along the way.
    Warren: we chose the Mazda because the Toyota with the same equipment was several thousand dollars more. About $6 grand at the time.

Buy the Mazda and invest the $6 grand. In 5-7 years your next Mazda will be FREE!

-juice
  • readytobuy4readytobuy4 Member Posts: 24
    I am curious to hear from anyone who has compared other models to the Mazda 626 and ended up buying the Mazda. I was drawn to Mazda after seeing an ad for a 4 cylinder 626 that is fully loaded (leather, alloy wheels, power everything, CD player, etc) for $14,500. After visiting the dealer I learned that I did not qualify for this price since I was not a college grad nor a previous Mazda owner. After some negotiating the price got down to $16k from $17.2 but I ended up walking away because I felt I was suckered in by the misleading ad.
    I test drove the car and liked it, trying to compare it to my current 1991 Acura Integra and several other cars that I test drove. I'm a little hesitant though because of the postings about transmission problems. It also seems like the 6 cylinder is most popular. Any suggestions?????.....
    Get the V6, even if it's the LX model. Then compare prices even without the rebates. It's a great value.

-juice
    • June 1986 - GA4-EL introduced in '87 626.
    • 1988 - First revision of G4A-EL.
    • August 1992 - F revision of G4A-EL; now 7 solenoids (instead of 4), rotor pump (instead of vane), no throttle cable. Fourth-generation 626 debuts for '93.
    • 1994 - Four-cylinder 626 switched to Ford CD4E.
    • November 1996 - Ford issues new pump plate and gasket for CD4E. New parts will work on old transmission.
    • August 1997 - Fifth-generation 626 debuts for '98, same old powertrains.
    • January 1998 - Ford issues new coast/forward clutch assembly for CD4E. New parts will not work on old transmission.
    • May 2000 - Ford begins installing CD4E on 2001 Escape/Tribute SUV twins.
    I am seeing fewer reports of failed CD4Es since the revisions. As they accumulate more miles, we shall see for sure, but right now, it looks like the worst may be over.
  • yourekiddinmeyourekiddinme Member Posts: 1
    Well, yet another TRANSMISSION post it seems. In a nutshell,I like Mazda,looking for a low mileage 626...i see a 97 ES, loaded, auto trans with 26K miles for $13,000. Should I be worried about possible tranny problems down the road? This car is for my sister, and like anyone else, she does'nt need the hassle. Her price limit is about 13k...and this is a great value... but im worried about all the tranny postings here....any advice?
    Thanks in advance.
    Gregg
    In this model year, the ES was V6 only, therefore it doesn't have the CD4E transmission that causes most of the gripes. $13k isn't bad, but you can probably come up with a leftover 2000 for not a whole lot more than that - how firm is that budget of hers?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If you have one, (CD4E) you have a time bomb on your hands. That transmission was the SAME on all model years. So the '95 being poor and the rest OK makes no-sense whatsoever. I think you put too much "worth" in to publications. There are places where this transmission is talked about intensely, but due to Edmunds rules of use I can't give them to you. As I mentioned, I had three-two Failed because of that lousy CD4E transmission. Don't believe us on this board? Talk to any high quality tranny shop, they will tell you.
    Good luck!
  • rnicholsonrnicholson Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased this car 2 days ago. Mazda was a late entry into our decision making process. We looked at the Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, and Olds Alero.

Before test-driving and settling on the 626, we had narrowed the choice down to the Accord and the Malibu. My wife (this is her car) leaning toward the Accord, and me leaning toward the Malibu (primarily because the dealer is a friend of mine).

Someone told my wife that we should consider the Mazda. We test drove the ES V6 that was loaded with a sunroof, 6 disc Bose CD changer, leather, etc. and were very impressed with the features/price and ride. We're not going to be turning any heads with the styling, but neither would any of the other cars we considered.

We bought the car the next day. Our dealer was offering double rebate ($4000 total) which made the purchase price right at $20,000. This was comparable to the best deal that I found on the Internet.

It's still early, but I think that we made a great choice. I have since talked to a couple of 626 owners, and have not heard any complaints.