Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 626

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, I wonder if they tell that "little old lady" story to customers about all their cars. I wouldn't buy their story or the car.

-juice
  • nzigmanzigma Member Posts: 13
    Hi... I'm looking purchasing either, approx 30,000 miles from a dealership. The cost...approx 10,400 for the LX and 11,000 for the ES. Any thoughts about these pricing levels, with both cars being lease returns. I've heard that certain older 626s have transmission problems and that there is a huge repair bill if the timing belt snaps in these cars. Can anyone profer some advise ? Thanks
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I love when they use those lines... what a joke. It reminds me of the ones they sell as manufacturer owned. Those probably see less maintenance and get more abuse than rental vehicles.
    Sam: V6 all the way. V6 has more power, is still fuel efficient, and the tranny is problem-free.

-juice
  • johnlwjohnlw Member Posts: 28
    I posted this on the 626 Troubles Board, and if you will indulge me, I would like to post it here as well to get information.

Our 1998 626, 4 cyl. auto is about to run out of warranty--end of August. It has been mainly driven by my wife.

It has about 36,000 miles. I have changed the oil every 5000, did the 30,000 mile service on schedule, and have had the transmission replaced under warranty. I believe the new tranny to be rebuilt.

I wonder whether to cut my losses now, and trade it in while I can get something for it. The car is nice, sunroof, alloy wheels, roomy, clean. We have garage kept it, polished the paint like new.

So why trade it in? BECAUSE OF THE STUPID FORD TRANSMISSION! (sorry) I think I can get $10,000 or so. I paid around $18,000, so I will lose money. I am afraid it will need more transmissions.

Has anyone had a positive experience with this car and transmision? What % fail? We thought it slipped again the other day, but no. We have had three Mazda's in the past twenty years, two have been good cars. Next time we'll get a Honda.
    Why?

Just don't get a Ford, get a real, pure Mazda. Any V6 model will be fine, or any manual trans.

Trade yours for a same-year V6, and you won't regret it. I bet it would cost next to nothing to do that.

-juice
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    I agree this is a pretty good car with the 6, I have a 2001, it does everything as well as my 1999 vw passat 1.8, better, that VW engine sucks, severe hesitation when bolting across intersections Really needed 91 or 93, this 626 is pretty good on 89 and even good on 87. As I keep saying other then the creaking windows no problems. I just don't like sitting this low, however this is such a reliable car at 5000 miles who cares.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    I agree this a pretty good car with the clutch.
    130 horses under the hood I'm enjoying 30mpgs.
    I,ve yet to empty a tank in one cruise at highway
    speed. We're zoom/zoomin' to the sunshine state
    so we'll get some real life numbers.
    ThumbsUp
    Bryan
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    This last Friday I almost traded in my 1999 Protege ES for a lease on a 2001 626 ES-V6 5-spd! However, it seems I have another year to go on my loan to catch up with depreciation. That's too bad because what a car that 626 is! The V6/5-spd combo is amazingly quick and smooth!! Plus, with the dealership selling it for $19.5k after discounts and rebates, it was a heck of a deal!
    That is a deal. I think prices have actually gone down since we bought ours, despite inflation. That's pretty extraordinary.

-juice
  • cpanzacpanza Member Posts: 3
    I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2001 626 lx model with auto trans, luxuary pac, rear spoiler, cargo net. The sticker on the car is $21,080. At this point I am getting the car at $17,900 + tax/tags. Should I take it or hold out for a better deal?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    If that is brand-spankin' new, then that's not a bad deal. Is that the V6?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

No, not a V-6 a 4 cyl. Is that something I should jump on?
    The 6 is a HUGE plus in the resale column (another $1,000 trade-in value on my '99). If that deal was on a V6, I'd be all over it. As it stands, I don't think its an incredible bargain. Its not a bad deal, but not worthy of "jumping on" methinks.

Sorry, I hope this advice isn't too late.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Well, it appears Mazda is giving the luxury package for free now. So, here's how it should break down for this car:

$20,445 MSRP + Destination
    -$2,500 Factory Rebate
    ------------------------------
    $17,945 MSRP Minus Factory Rebate

Invoice on this vehicle is $18,780. That means that the dealer is making a $1,620 profit.

$18,780 Invoice + Destination
    -$2,500 Factory Rebate
    $16,280 Invoice After Rebate

'$17,900 Selling Price
    -$16,280 Invoice After Rebate
    ..$1,620 Net Profit

That would be too much of a profit. A fair profit should be between $400-$700 over invoice.

****HOWEVER*****
    I have not confirmed that the luxury package is free. Both Mazda's and MSN's Carpoint's website show a $0 charge for the luxury package on the LX 4-cyl. If this is true, it may only be for certain regions (I'm in San Diego). If this discount does apply in your area, the sticker price on the vehicle probably shows a charge for the luxury package because it was printed before this discount was started. However, the manufacturer will apply an extra cash incentive for the dealer to cover the discount.

If you haven't made the purchase yet, I would give Mazda's customer service a call and check with them.

1-800-222-5500
    I did receive the Lux package free off the sticker so the 21,080 I believe excluded that but it included Auto Trans ($800), Cargo Net, Moon Roof Defl. They are adding a real spoiler.

My final deal was as follows:

$17,750 price of car

* I opted for the $1,750 rebate off the sticker rather than the 4.9% financing (ended up with 6.9% locally). I thought I had a good deal, I knew their profit was a little high because I could not account for $500 or so after the 4% profit I had alotted.

I guess I need someone to tell me, Good deal, Ok deal, Bad deal....I was afrid, maybe for nothing that the Lux package (for free) would dry up but I really do not know.

Thanks for the Info and advise.
    OK... When the dealer installs the rear spoiler, it is considerably more expensive than the factory-installed spoiler. Are they adding the moonroof deflector at the dealership as well? Those two probably account for the extra money. It looks like a pretty good deal.
  • jiansbondjiansbond Member Posts: 1
    I need some help ! I bought a 98 Mazda 626 Lx about 90 days ago. However I have found a big problem with it and I just want to know if all mazda 626 have this problems or is it just mine ?
    The problem is the transmision, the whole car shakes when its trying to shift from one gear to another(Although this doesn't not happen everytime but its does occur very frequently and especially when I have made a full stop and accelerates on a slight hill or trying to acceletae fast E.G emerging onto highways etc.

Can anyone help me ? anyone know what what the problem is ?

Thanks

Jian
    That's the Ford CD4E transmission for you. Hard to believe how consistently owners complain about those. Seriously.

I'd have the ATF flushed. They can hook it up to a machine that completely flushes out the old fluid. Should be $60 to $80 or so, and it might help.

If you're concerned about the long-term, I'd trade up for a V6 model, which uses a proper Mazda tranny.

-juice
    There's no problem. The 626 4cyl automatic comes with the grenade feature. Simply pull the pin and the thing goes poof. You didn't pull the pin did you?

This board is riddled with opinions against the 4cyl automatic so if you bought the vehicle knowing such, shame on you. Otherwise, I feel very sorry for you and hope you have an extra $2k to dish out. Once you get the new trans, install an auxiliary trans oil cooler and this will prolong the life of the next trans.

:)
    Mazda is still using that evil CD4E transmission! The transmission they are using in the current generation Protege is much, much, much more reliable, and acts like a real auto transmission (no hesitation between R-N-D, immediate downshifts, etc.). However, I guess with a totally new replacement for the 626 just around the corner, it wouldn't make much sense to change the transmissions.

BEST ADVICE: Either get the V6 with the automatic or the 4-cyl with a 5-spd!! Or, save some money and get a fully loaded Protege or Protege5, which statistically is the most reliable of all Mazda's and is their global best-seller (the U.S. and Canada is the only place where you can get this 626).
  • soundhacksoundhack Member Posts: 4
    I tried to read all 674 messages in the 626
    maintenance board, but I'm only at around
    50 :(

My question is, with all the problems referred
    to with the '94 626, would I want to get it
    used if the price was right? The car in question is manual, not auto, so I assume I wouldnt
    experience the bulk of the problems with the 94 626 reported here?

It's fully loaded (sunroof, cruise AC spoiler,
    abs etc etc etc), 93K miles and 4 cyl engine.
    The asking price is a little less than $5K, (I
    dont know yet which trim level it is) but I could
    probably bargain down to like a little above

Any advice? Thanks!
    Hmm, I think the Miata is more reliable (historically) than the Protoge. Though both are great, basically.

Under $5k sounds like a deal. Just check it out closely.

-juice
  • rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    Hey all - I had just about settled on buying a 2001 Civic (16,000+) or Hyundai GT (15,000+) when I was told that the resale is very low on the 626. After some research, I like the car very much and for the ES, V-6 automatic Edmunds is showing about 15,000.

I want to keep the car a minimum of 6 years at about 12,000 miles/year. Have two young kids who will fill the back seat. Safety and economy are more important than style to me, but the 626 seems to offer it all.

Any advice on which you would go for? (Don't worry about the financing part)
    If you are worried about depreciation, the Hyundai is eliminated. They have the worst resale by far.

Hondas hold their value well, but any new car will lose a lot of value as soon as it's driven off the lot. So because it's new, it'll depreciate faster than a '99 626.

Since it's a V6, plus it's a little bigger, it should better meet your needs, IMO.

-juice
    Can anyone answer this? It really stands out...its competitors all hold much greater value over time.
    I think it's about average. Thing is, it costs far less than a Camry or Accord to begin with, so when you look at used models they are cheaper. As a percentage of the original value, it should be pretty close.

But if you're shopping used, low resale can work to your advantage because it means you will pay less, of course.

-juice
    For similar trim-level, V6 engine

Accord LX V-6 (4A)
    2001: TMV 20669
    1999: Dealer 15851 (77%) (manual)

Camry LE V-6
    2001: TMV 20631
    1999: Dealer 15,000 (73%)

626 LX V-6
    2001: TMV 19191
    1999: Dealer 11,781 (61%)

Of course - to be fair - lets throw in other Japanese makers (even though 626 made in US)

Mitsu Galant ES V-6
    2001: TMV 19692
    1999: Dealer 12519 (64%)

Nissan Maxima SE V-6
    2001: TMV 22163
    1999: Dealer 17500 (79%)

And a couple other Fords

Ford Taurus SE
    2001: TMV 18660
    1999: Dealer 10980 (59%)

Old Intrigue GX
    2001: TMV 21,427
    1999: Dealer 12,268 (57%)

Well...I think I found my answer. The 626 resale is low compared to the best selling cars in its class because its a Ford.

I agree - its great for a used buyer to get a 626 which is probably a more 'sound' car than other Fords.

Rob
    The Mitsubishi must be a Ford.

What part of the 626 V-6 is a ford by the way?
    The reason the 626 resale is so low has nothing to do with Ford. The average buyer does not know about Mazda's relationship with Ford. What brings the resale value down on the 626 is the Mazda nameplate itself. All Mazda vehicles have poor resale value (relative) except for the Miata and RX-7, both of which are world-renowned vehicles and are probably the only reason Mazda is still around today.

New car buyers and used car buyers have different agendas. The new car comes with a warranty and has practically no miles on it, so reliability is less of a concern. For the used car buyer, reliability clearly outweighs all other considerations. Toyota and Honda are the reliability champions in the general public's mind, so therefore, those vehicles are worth more money. Resale value is controlled not by the banks nor the manufacturers. It is controlled by the consumer market. The average consumer is just much more willing to pay a higher price for a Honda or Toyota than they are for a Mazda. Mazda? Didn't they do those Wankel rotary cars that couldn't last 50,000 miles??

BTW, the Protege is statistically the most reliable vehicle that Mazda builds. The Miata is the second best followed by the Millenia. The Miata, with it's drop-top, experiences a lot of interior electronics malfunctions--particularly the power window switches. Plus, early Miata's were known to destroy crankshafts. Are they reliable? Absolutely!! The 626 is not on my list above, but are they reliable? Absolutely!! As long as you don't count any 626 with the CD4E tranny...
    Actually, I consider the early RX7s to be EXTREMELY reliable. The problems with the rotary really didn't come about until they turbocharged it. Also, any problems that do come up is due to owner neglect or misguided care.

As far as the resale on the 626, I have a slightly different perspective. I think it has to do with advertising and name recognition. More people have Hondas and Toyotas, therefore the name is more recognizable and are first shopped by buyers. The 626 seldom comes to mind when looking at the Camry and Accord. Think about it, how many times have you heard the phrase "Camry and Accord" to describe your typical mid-sized family sedan? Even other competitors say it. When Hyundai mentions the Elantra, for instance, they compare it to "Camry and Accord." When Chevy mentions the Malibu, they compare it to "Camry and Accord." 626 just doesn't have name recognition. I attribute that to poor advertising. I haven't even seen a Zoom Zoom commercial that involves a 626. They are all about the Miata and Protege, which both outsell the 626 by a large margin.

just my .02

"I haven't even seen a Zoom Zoom commercial that involves a 626. They are all about the Miata and Protege, which both outsell the 626 by a large margin."

Actually, 626 outsells the Miata by a factor of 2.5 and the 626 has outsold the Protege in year to date sales, but may be overtaken due to the Protege5. See http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010703/latu061.html

Also, there is a 626 Zoom Zoom commercial, but I rarely see it. It's the one with a kid asking his dad what it is like to drive.

You beat me to it!!
    I was taking a guess based on what I see on the road, word-of-mouth, etc. Guess I was wrong. Doesn't explain why I see more Miatas than 626s, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Technically, though, according to that, Protege has outsold 626s by 3500 units YTD as of June '01. Still, though, I would have thought very differently. I can't believe the low Miata sales. They must all be in Jersey. ;)

In any case, I still stick to my theory. Mazda suffers due to lack of name recognition. But, as you can see, the Protege did make a good jump in sales - possibly due to the commercials we mentioned.

One other thing on that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Toyota sell more Camrys than all Mazda vehicles put together? (what were Camry sales? I thought I heard like a quarter million units - but that sounds extreme!) Which, would further push the Camry name on people on the road and be the first to pop to mind when they go car shopping (along with Accord).

No fair, the cranks were a problem more than a decade ago. ;-)

-juice
    Yes, but that still counts in overall reliability of the line. No matter, every Mazda vehicle is reliable and you can't go wrong buying one. Has anyone heard anything more on the 626 replacement? What will hit the market first? The RX-8 or 626 replacement?
    Well, by now I bet they've all been replaced.

-juice
    As much as I'd like to see the RX-8 tomorrow, I haven't read anywhere that the vehicle has received production approval. I'd be happier if I were wrong about it.

While both vehicles are at the heart of Mazda's woes, the sedans are what generate profits and would be better for Mazda, in the short term, to get to market ASAP. The RX-8 is an image builder so while it's key, there's no pot of gold there.

I couldn't agree with you more! The 626 is now the oldest vehicle in the line-up and a new replacement would be wonderful. I don't care which one comes out first, but the sedan does make more sense.

I have read in a few articles that the RX-8 has been given the go-ahead. Maybe not for production yet, but definitely for finalized design and development.
    several sources have said its a go and expect to see them by next Fall as an '03 model.

Check out the RX8 forum.

There was one discussion here, but that was archived for some reason, so somebody started another one here.

• aprylenjtaprylenjt Member Posts: 1
    A Mazda dealer in my area currently has two "new" 2000 626 LX-V6 5-speeds with less than 100 miles still on the lot. The dealer's initial asking price for each is $15,995. Both don't have ABS/Traction Control but are equipped with the LX-V6 Premium Package:
    - Wheels: 16 in. Alloy w/Locks
    - Tires: P205/55R16 tires with 205mm width, 16.0" rim
    - Power Moonroof
    - 6-Way Power Driver's Seat
    - Carpeted Floor Mats
    - Heated Door Mirrors
    - Anti-Theft Alarm
    Is it just me or is this a great deal since the 2000 626 is almost identical to the 2001?! Any thoughts from the 626 experts out there?
    It is not just you. Those are a steal.

In fact, if you decide not to buy one, let the folks here know about it, because someone will.

-juice
    Where are you located? Better yet, where is the dealer?

Hmmmmm.... The thought has crossed my mind more than once to trade in my '99 automatic for a newer stick with power seats and moonroof. Although, I would like leather.

• josie5josie5 Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading alot about the Mazda 1994 626 transmission problems...

Does anyone know if there are any substantial problems with the 1990 626?

Thanks
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    the a/c system in the v6 626(ford). All mazdas are using ford diagnostics for obdII. the fuel tank and its components are ford. I'm sure i could come up with a few more if i really thought about it. By the way, if you like a car..buy it. Also, the 1990 626 was a better car than just about anything mazda makes today, but it is old and time catches up with us all. My 92 is still going strong and will be around for quite some time.
    Our A/C has been OK, it's a 1995. We've only required one major unscheduled service, and that was for the fuel injection cleaning.

My former car, a 1991 Escort GT, leaked freon one year, and then lost its compressor the next. I hope our Mazda fares better, because those combined cost me over one grand.

-juice
    check your facts...

The A/C compressor is made by Sanden and the Evaporator is made by Valeo.

I'll give it to you that the fuel pump is a Ford product, but the tank is made by Elsa Corp.

The PCM is made by Visteon a former Ford company. By the way, you have to admit that the capabilities of WDS blow away the previous system and I'd much rather have my vehicle diagnosed with that than the NGS.

• rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    the a/c system is ford- whomever makes the parts for ford is another story. havent looked lately, but since 93 all the fuel tanks in 62's were made by ford. I definitely wont disagree about diagnostic ease when it comes to the ngs tester. It is the best system going, unfortunately ford does not want to give mazda all the capabilites that the ngs allows the ford techs to use. the original question was what parts of the 626 were ford. I wasnt making any comments on whether these items are good or bad. the cruise control unit should be ford in any newer 626 and also the wiper motor.
    Maltb: wow, what kind of source do you have at your disposal to get quick facts like that?

Impressive.

-juice
    One would expect to see motorcraft plastered on that compressor if it was a Ford system. Ahh, what would I know anyway.