Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "Actually the Civic and Mazda3 are pretty comparable in price and available features "

while their stickers may be similar in price, you can get a much better discount on the mazda.

mazda is a little more expensive than hyundai, but much like hyundai, you get alot of car for the money.
  • angloannangloann Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Honda Civic and find that there is often a reflection of the dashboard in the windshield - sometime making it impossible to see anything going from sunlight into an enclosed area. I think this is very dangerous. I had a 2002 Hyundai Elantra before. I have had this Honda four days and am beginning to regret buying it. I test drove it on a day that was cloudy and had no idea that this would be a problem. Since I live in Florida, it is not cloudy very often! Has anyone else had this problem?

By the way I thought I was upgrading a little by buying the Honda, but now I am not so sure as I was very happy with the Hyundai, especially the warranty.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    i did the same thing in december 04. I bought an 05 civic ex-se after hearing how wonderful and great they were. I had an lx model as a loaner car for over a week. I did like it even tho is was a little lacking on power with the automatic. I also have a 05 elantra GT which turns out to be better made, more comfortable than the civic. I no longer have the civic-sold it.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    don't know if you can prove that it is 'better' made, but to each his own. (as is preference on comfort.)

But he was talking about one of the new civics i belive, i never had a problem witht the windshield reflection thing, sometimes you see it, i guess, like any other car, but aside from getting used to the swoopy feeling, i never had any problems.
    really thought about what you said snake, we've got some long ones too, (ramps that is) and if i'm taking it easy i don't hit 4000rpms. If i'm having a litte fun then yes. But there are some other ramps that are just short as can be around here and sometimes you do gotta floor it.
    A 2007 Elantra SE has the following standard

Quite familiar with what the elantra has standard, always agreed that it does offer more standard features. Thats not the argument. Actually, there really is no argument at all do be honest! :confuse:

You can be as sorry as can be but that doesn't change the fact myself and more than a few others do not view Honda as the best there is. Obviously there are those who refuse to believe this can be true..keep dreaming.

Thats fine that you don't think honda is the best there is. I personally don't think they are either and by assuming that i may prefer the civic to the elantra doesn't mean that i think that 'honda is the best'. I just hope you weren't referring to me with that sentence.

While hondaphiles may be over zealous of their cars, hyundai people just seem to have a very sublte way of dissing hondas as well so its kind of a wash. I mean, we could go on and on about how honda guys are and how hyundai guys are and it wont change anything.

I just am not one of those guys. And yes i am as sorry as can be because you situation really sucks and i feel for ya.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I know they were talking about the new civic- at first I thought it looked like a spaceship but the more I see the better they look. I was comparing my 05 civic to my 05 hyundai- alot of minor problems with the civic. I did love the way it shifted. (manual transmission) I do still like honda products as I own an acura tsx 6 spd.happy safe motoring.we also have a honda motorcycle
  • angloannangloann Member Posts: 2
    Stilltrying to ascertain whether anyone else has had a problem with dashboard reflection in the windshield, and rear window. Went back to the dealer and they put a solution on it which helped for about an hour and then back to square one./ Sometimes, depending on where the sun is, I cannot see a thing which is very dangerous.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I had something like that with a Chevy Corsica I had in the 90's. Never really noticed it until my sister pointed it out :mad:

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Went out and drove the car earlier...'06 Civic. For the life of me, can't figure out what you're talking about. No reflection anywhere. Did notice a difference in the speedometer with my polarized sun glasses on though.
    Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

The Sandman :)
  • ukraguyukraguy Member Posts: 28
    Elantra Hatchback/ Avante FD/ i30

A bit like a civic on the front but still, I like it. :)

http://bbs.auto.naver.com/nboard/read.php?board_id=car_korea&page=9&nid=16593
    Very cool car there. Guess the new thing in the auto world is these small econo hatchbacks. What's old is new again I suspect. From what I've read, the new Versa is huge inside as compared to the others. Just don't know why the mpg's are not that much better than the Corolla/Civic size cars. I'd think the smaller 1.5 & 1.6 engines combined with the smaller weight would deliver more impressive mileage figures.
    Seem like great 1st cars for kids just starting out in life. As long as they all have killer sound and decent get up & go, I'm betting this will be the segment with the most growth in the next 10 years or so.

• lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Can't help but notice in this and other forums that lots of people are seeing the new drivers (fresh out of school,or in school even) are expecting new (latest models) cars as their 1st car. I wonder why. Most 1st timers used to get into the used cars market, and with the prices of vehicles as high as they are, I certainly don't understand the thinking behind the new car purchases. Are we really that affluent that we are giving away new cars to our kids?? I don't think they are buying them on their own (with their own money). I dare say that most of us didn't get a "new" car as our 1st one. Just my thoughts. Even so, it must be nice. :) Yes, I am older than most of you.
    van
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    One possibility is that the parents want their kids to have cars with the latest safety equipment. (The Civic and Elantra have a lot of standard safety equipment.) Or it could be a reward for studying hard, getting a college scholarship, any number of possibilities. It could just be a generous parent with enough money to do it.

I personally don't have the expendable income to give new cars to my kids--a lot of it goes for their high school and college tuitions! But I have and will give each of my 3 kids a nice, used, well-maintained hand-me-down economy car when they reach 17. That's my personal choice, and I have my reasons for doing it. I don't expect everyone else will want to do the same thing, and I don't begrudge parents who give a new car to their kids. Even though one case at my sons' school rolled my eyes: boy gets brand-new Audi from dad; son totals it in the school parking lot; dad buys him another new Audi; he totals that one a few weeks later; dad buys junior ANOTHER brand-new Audi etc. I can only wonder what that boy will grow up to be like.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    backy, with all due respect your other customarily good remarks, that story about the kid totaling 2 brandnew cars in a couple of weeks, and then daddy buying the kid a 3rd new car, is one of the best things I've even seen you post.

Obviously, some parents have more money than brains. I mean we're not talking fender benders here, which many new drivers have. These had to be fairly serious crashes to "total" new Audi's.

I once lost a potential new client when I told the mommy that if she really loved her 16 year old son she would not buy him the new Mustang GT 350 or 500 (whatever it was) back around '79.

And, what the hell do you have to be doing to total a new Audi in a school parking lot?
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    First off, I think both of these cars are at the top of their class. Pretty much ive narrowed it down to the Elantra SE/Limited and the Civic EX/LX. Basically im looking for the best car for my money to replace my 03 Ford Focus. The things I mostly look for are a comfortable and quiet ride that gets more than 30MPG, followed by a good looking car. Oh and my next ride has to have cruise, power windows/locks and a automatic transmission. I broke each car down into a set of pros and cons.

What is better about the Elantra SE/Limited
    Lower MSRP than Civic
    Longer Warranty
    Free Roadside Assistance
    Leather

What is better about the Civic LX
    Better resale value
    Sporty more nimble ride.
    4MPG better gas mileage (by 07 standards)

Both cars definately have their pro's and con's, but at this point after driving both vehicles I am leaning towards the Hyundai Elantra.

Elantra lower price than Civic: A Civic LX is roughly $900 more than the Elantra SE, but it lacks the 4 wheel disk brakes and alloy wheels. That is before the $1500 in rebates I get for the Elantra. So the Elantra is cheaper by $2400 dollars and comes with a few extras.

Longer warranty: A 3year/36000 mile b2b warranty vs a 5year/60000 mile b2b.

Free roadside assistance: 5 years unlimited miles for roadside assistance. You would have to pay for roadside assist in the Civic. Granted i've never once in my life used roadside assistance, but ya never know when you might run over a box of nails or similar bad luck.

Leather: For another grand I can step up to the Elantra Limited and get leather. Civic doesnt have the leather.

Perceived reliability: Im my experience the majority of people I talk to believe the Honda to be a more reliable/dependable ride. A few wont even consider any other brands other than Toyota or Honda. I have no doubt they are reliable and problem free, however, I think Hyundai matches both. Hyundai scores quite well in Consumer Reports, and JD Powers ranks them third for 2006 Initial Quality(behind Porsche and Lexus).

Driving conditions: The Civic nearly wins me over when it comes to driving both cars back to back. Both cars are quite, comfortable rides. The Civic fits like a glove, and it definately handles better than the Elantra. Matter of fact it comes closest to my old miata in the handling department out of all the new cars ive drove recently (06 fusion, 06 accord, 06 sonata, 07 sentra, 07 versa, and even the new 07 altima). The Elantra is alot more open and feels alot bigger (which it is)

Gas mileage: The civic wins here, 40MPG vs 36MPG (highway). This is primarily a work car so I drive about 12,000 miles a year (mostly highway). So the Elantra will use 33.3 more gallons a year, which works out to $100 more a year at $3.00 a gallon. The slightly increased annual fuel cost is not a make or break point for me.

Is there something else I should be considering when I compare these two cars. The way I see it the Elantra makes a strong case.
    Perceived reliability:

I most likely have the most miles on my Elantra than anyone on these forums (142K on my '00 wagon), I will say without a doubt it has been the most reliable car I have ever had. Only had one thing go wrong with it and that was at over 120K miles. Other than that the car is running fine.

Is there something else I should be considering when I compare these two cars.

My question is how long do you plan on keeping the car? If its a long time than I wouldn't worry about resale value as it would be meaningless after you run the car into the ground.

A couple of things to consider are dealer availability (how close are they to you?) and seating comfort. If you will regularly carry long-legged adults in back, they might appreciate the extra legroom in the Elantra (and the fold-down armrest, not available on the Civic LX). You could rent an Elantra for a day or weekend to see how it feels in the driver's seat after a few hours of driving. (Harder to rent a Civic.) Another thing I have appreciated on my Elantras is the 60/40 split seat (also not available on the Civic LX), which allows me to carry long cargo yet still hold 3-4 people.

If you have any concerns over reliability of the Elantra, you can buy a 10-year, 100k miles extended warranty (bumper to bumper and transferable) and it will still cost less overall than the Civic LX.
    Both are very good cars but I really think the Civic has that "overall goodness", something intangible which I really can't put into words. This car just has it...it just fits like a glove. I never got that feeling when i sat in the Elantra...or even the Sonata for that matter.
    Pricewise, the Elantra wins hands down. Ditto for warranty, roadside & features. But it's just not a "Honda". If I were you, I'd personally wait till the new Corolla debuts. I think it'll be an awesome car, as it competes with some heavy hitters in this segment.
    Maybe it's just me, I thought the last generation Elantra looked so much better. I just can't get past the looks of this new generation. And it just doesn't have that feeling I alluded to earlier. I know I'll get flamed by certain folks in here but that's how I feel. I was more than happy to pay the extra $ for my Civic as I felt I got more...sorta like a mini Acura.
    Ready for the attacks now...let's just act like adults...PLEASE!

The Sandman :):)
    You bought what you liked. Continued good luck with it.

Some people just don't think there is anything magical about being a "Honda."
    Why do you think you would be attacked just for respectfully posting your opinion? There's no call for that kind of thing here, not even snipes about "getting the last word" etc.

I can see why you would think the Civic "fits like a glove" compared to the Elantra. It does have more of an enveloping feeling, probably because of its less roomy interior and center console/parking brake that gets very close to the legs. Some people like that kind of feeling--you are obviously one of them. I prefer the roomier feeling of cars like the Elantra.

The Elantra is not a Honda. I used to think that was a big deal. After owning two Civics and two Elantras, I don't feel that way any more.

Hyundai's slogan used to be "Driving is Believing." I kind of wish they hadn't changed it because I think it's a good one for them. Just sitting in the Elantra, you won't get a good feel for everything it offers. I think you need to actually drive a car to see if it is a car you will like to live with every day, assuming it passes the "sit" test.

I like the looks of the Gen 3 Elantra very much. I've owned two of them, still own one ('04 GT 5-door). But I like what Hyundai has done with the 2007. To me, it looks more sophisticated now, more grown-up. Also sleeker and more modern-looking. I really like the look of the new 5-door, at least what I've seen in photos. Can't wait until its official debut. Maybe someday Honda will see fit (haha) to give the U.S. a 5-door Civic again.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Our 2000 Elantra GLS sedan has 155,324 miles. Repairs/replacements:
    1.rear brakes and wheel cylinders @ about 90K miles
    2.alternator @ about 144K miles
    3.exhaust front pipe (joint connector bad = exhaust leak) @ 150K miles.
    4. a couple (2) of the exhaust manifolds with integral cat. converters replaced under an extended emission warranty. This seems to have been a ill advised design as the manifold cracks for some reason.
    Otherwise it is reliable and quiet and gets 33-34 mpg highway easily and consistantly. It continues to be a great car.
    Our 2000 Elantra GLS sedan has 155,324 miles.

Rats I have been supplanted. :cry:

It seems that Hyundai got a batch of bad exhaust manifolds for that period and they extended the warranty on them for 10 years unlimited mileage. Thats the only thing that has gone wrong with it so far. Other than routine maintenance I have put no money into the car.

Our son now drives this car at the rate of 100 miles round trip to work/back per day so it seems unlikely it will get a rest soon. He is however considering a 2007 new design Elantra.
    Regarding the manifold its good that Hyundai did that because it is a pricy piece if you have to buy one...over $900!!!
    Regarding the manifold its good that Hyundai did that because it is a pricy piece if you have to buy one...over $900!!!

My mechanic said $650 installed.

don't worry sand, i know what you mean!

I really like the new elantra, i saw a light blue one and a white one and they were very nice! (the antenna has to go though.)

But there is a very big intangible 'hondaness' that is hard to ignore. They don't sell tons of civics for nothing you know. (despite that many on this forum would tell you its just for mpg. :blush: )

Its a feeling that i don't get even with my rabbit!(granted there is also a tuetonic feeling with my bunny that the civc or any other car could give me either!)

Hyundai excels at packaging and low price, and many of this brands buyers have this as a priority; they don't place driver involvement as high as maybe we do. (not to say all, thats what the tiburon is for! ;) ) Hence, why you get 'theres nothing special about hondas' type of comments as someone did above.

I think both are awesome cars. And i do hope we get a civic 5 door soon!
    The word was "magical" not "special."
    oh sorry. different word, same concept.
    Hyundai must have heard you; the antenna on the rear fender is gone (on all the newer Elantras with now-standard XM radio).
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I noticed that too when my dad was checking out the Elantra. Whew!
    This is a good comparison thread, btw. My dad bought a Civic, but nearly bought the Elantra instead. We just couldn't get any decent discounts in the area on an Elantra, so when he got $2000 off the Civic LX, he couldn't resist.

It's a shame because I wanted him to buy a car with stability control, and I figured the Sonata would be a perfect choice. But besides the ride being incredibly floaty, that interior, especially when it's lit up at night, is just a disaster. Those yellow-green gauges will hopefully go away after the redesign. Especially since I think the Elantra has a fantastic interior.
    good! other than that i think it looks great!

herotakesfall: 2k off an lx? nice!

i didn't realize the guages on the sonata were green...i thought they had the bright blue analog look that the new santa fe and elantra have...
    The meaning of the words is quite different. See dictionary.
    :blush:

ok big deal. See 'chill out'.

:P
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Civic vs Elantra anyone?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    No thanks. What are your specials today?

Oh, nevermind. Check please!

:D
    ;)
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    I want to get a new car. It is between civic vs elantra. Currently i am managing with 2001 sonata. Do you guys see any advantage having 5 speed AT vs 4 speed AT? What about the engine performance of Elantra.
    I am not sure how long i am going to stay here. What about the resale value for both the cars in case i have to move out? Sorry for many question.
    Do you guys see any advantage having 5 speed AT vs 4 speed AT?

I would say that depends, but unless on tranny is a bad tranny most people wouldn't notice the difference.

What about the engine performance of Elantra.

I have over 140k miles on mine and have had good luck with it. As far as acceleration I find mine to be more than adequate. I can easily keep up with traffic and get up to highway speeds on most on ramps and its pretty good in passing.

What about the resale value for both the cars in case i have to move out?

The Civic will bring in more money on resale but upfront it costs more.

If it's likely you'll need to resell the car in 1-2 years, the Civic might be a better way to go, if you can get a decent price on one. As for the transmission, I think the 5AT on the Civic is one reason it gets higher fuel economy than the Elantra, but I found the 4AT on the Elantra shifts very smoothly, so for me it's not an issue. Power-wise, the Elantra has plenty for me (there's only 2 hp difference in the 2 engines, and the Elantra has a little more torque).

One thing to look at is how often you'll use the rear seat to haul adults. That's one of the best features of the Elantra vs. the Civic. Also as noted, you can save a few thousand bucks up front on the Elantra, especially with closeout pricing on the '07s.

If you just need a good solid car for awhile, have you considered a slightly-used Elantra? I recommend a '04 or later. The '01-'05 Elantra is the #1 used compact car choice per Edmunds.com. And someone else will have already taken the big depreciation hit. :-)
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I will see if i can get Civil at reasonable price.
    Hi Backy,
    Thanks for your valuable information. I will check out new civic and elantra's. If i get a good price, will go with civic. Otherwise will check out new and used elantra's.
    Presently managing with 2001 sonata. Not in hurry to get the new one. Just thinking of selling old sonata getting better car as soon as possible. Meanwhile, i have to spend around 500$ on my sonata to replace timing belt.
    All in all I would go with the Elantra, slightly larger interior and a smaller price tag. With the Civic you will most likely never make up the price difference in resale.

I currently have a 2006 Civic with the 5 speed auto. I live in south central Pa where the terrain while not as mountainous as further west isn't exactly flat either. What I have observed is the Honda doesn't want to stay in 5th unless at highway speeds and the roads are flat as a pancake. Toss in a slight grade (especially when at lower speeds) and the transmission wants 4th. The bad news here is that you are seldom in 5th for a long distance but the good is that the transmission seems to shift smoothly. Honda geared 5th as an over-over drive so they can post high EPA sticker numbers but practically speaking the transmission is entirely too busy up-down shifting unless you live in Iowa or somewhere else in the flat mid-west.
    Living in South Florida, the roads are all flat and the car holds 5th gear beautifully, ample power for passing to. Just filled my tank and with a 50/50 split, got 32.7 mpg's...not bad I must say. Part of that driving was coming home from the dealer after the 2nd oil change with almost 10k on the clock.
    This car impresses me more and more daily. Was looking at the Volvo S40 also, but with the 5 cylinder engine, doubt I'd have gotten mileage figures as good as these. Really iked the looks of the Volvo though and the '08's are even a bit nicer. But the wife has the Mazda 3s, which has the exact same body as the S40, just with lower headrests front & rear. That was the main reason she passed on the S40 actually, she couldn't see out the back or sides safely and the Mazda was better vision wise. She's still happy.

If you can wait for awhile (and it sounds like you can), you might see if Hyundai puts a loyalty rebate back on the Elantra. Since you are a Sonata owner, that could sweeten the deal on the Elantra by another $500-1000.

Another car you might check out in the meantime is the Versa. I think it's a very nice car for the money, with excellent crash test scores (has Good's across the board for the IIHS tests, like the Civic).

If you are looking for a good price on a Civic, now is the time to get one of the last '07s.
    Becky, Sandman and Targettuning,
    Thanks for your information. I have fixed my timing belt on my sonata. Now, it is running great. Looks like, i can manage with that some more time.
    Today, i happen to visit Honda showroom. That guys is ready to sell Accord LX, 4Cy with AT with bargain price. But, he is ready to give only 3k for my sonata. I felt hard to trade in my sonata for 3k immediately after spending 400$. He is not ready to give much room for bargaining on civic.
    If you really want that Accord, you could check out the private party market for your Sonata, especially if it's in good shape and well-maintained.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Many here on Edumunds.com denigrate Hyundai resale values. I just finished some research based upon the purchase of our 2006 Elantra GLS sedan automatic vs. a 2006 Honda Civic LX auto and a 2006 Toyota Corolla LE auto. The prices paid, including TTL, for the Civic and Corolla were based on an average of those posted here on Edmunds.com from buyers for those trims over a snapshot of time (and, forum postings) in 2006. Interestingly, the Elantra does quite well compared to the Civic and Corolla which contradicts the position of many anti-Hyundai posters.

The values (trade-in and private party) were taken from the Edmunds.com appraisal calculator. This trade-in value correlates with what my local dealer, and Intelliprice, would offer for a new car trade-in, so this value should be good enough for basic comparison purposes. The data:

2006 Elantra - Trade-in: $9,647 Private Party: $10,738

2006 Civic - Trade-in: $13,508 Private Party: $14,620

2006 Corolla - Trade-in: $11,429 Private Party: $12,613

Comparing total purchase price vs. trade-in value:

I paid $13,700, including TTL, for my 2006 Elantra. This equates to a $4,053 loss since purchase - in my case, purchased in December 2005.

The average purchase price, including TTL, based upon Edmunds.com postings for the 2006 Civic LX is $17,500. This equates to a $3,992 loss since purchase.

The average purchase price, including TTL, based upon Edmunds.com postings for the 2006 Corolla LE is $16,200. This equates to a $4,771 loss since purchase.

In each case, the first year depreciation hit is substantial, as expected. But, when you compare each based upon not the MSRP, but the actual delivered price, including TTL, the Hyundai fares quite well against their highly regarded competitors.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Using those numbers, the Civic has held 77% of its value. The Elantra has held 70%.

Out of curiousity, what does Edmunds say is the average purchase price for the Elantra? And what model are you using to compare?

Thanks for the info!

TheGrad
    Percentages can be misleading. They can be higher on a higher-priced car than on a lower-priced car, yet you'll lose more in depreciation dollar-wise on the higher-priced car. That's why I focus on dollar depreciation vs. percentages.

These numbers reflect my own experience, e.g. $5900 in depreciation on a '01 Elantra GLS after 5-1/2 years. I recently checked on the resale value of my '04 GT, and it's down about $3000 from purchase price after 3-1/2 years. I'll take that kind of depreciation any day.
This discussion has been closed.