Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I worry about the info I research and find on resale vs. that of real-world values. For example, the resale on my Accord was higher than that of what end-of-the-year 2006 Accords were selling for last year. That can't be completely accurate. OTOH, I have a buddy with a 13 year old (1994) Accord EX, 201k miles on it. He put a sign in the window with $4,000 on it. He had five calls in three days. He isn't selling yet, but wanted to see what he could get for it. He told me he figured he'd have to come down to $3k or so (heck, the car has been in two accidents, albeit minor ones).

I wouldn't pay $4k for a 200k mile car, but apparently the old Hondas don't drop as much as they say! That excites me somewhat, as I have 175k on my 1996 Accord, and with timing belt coming up, and a need for new struts, I'm looking at over $1200 worth of work it is going to need. I also have someone who REALLY wants this car, and has for years (for his son who will be 15 soon - he works on them and wouldn't have a problem changing the timing belt or water pump himself). I may have to check the paper to find out a fair asking price - blue book is undercutting me!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, you have to take published "resale prices" with a grain of salt. But I figure if the prices of my Elantra have been inflated, so have the prices of the Civic.

I happened to scan Elantra used car prices in a 500 mile radius the other day and was surprised how high they were. Of course, these are asking prices, but even allowing for dickering they were holding up very well I thought. Maybe all the good press the Elantra has been getting, e.g. recommended used car by CR, Edmunds's top pick for a used compact, good reliability scores etc. have been doing some good.
    I got to take a nearly-new Civic LX for an extended drive this past week while traveling in Southeastern Florida, courtesy of Hertz. I put my comments here:

backy, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #198, 12 Jan 2008 1:23 pm

I was glad to have the five days in the Civic, as it gave me a good chance to compare it to the Elantra, which I've rented on several occasions. I was impressed in many ways by the Civic. I think it's better planted on the road than the Elantra, it has some nice touches in the interior such as a sliding center armrest, a thick steering wheel, and oil life gauge, and it had distinctive, sporty styling. But overall, for what I want in my next car, I'd take the Elantra SE. For hundreds less (MSRP) than the Civic LX, the Elantra offers a much larger interior (especially the rear seat), ESC, 4-wheel discs, five-spoke alloys, 6-speaker XM radio, audio controls on a leather-wrapped steering wheel, 60/40 rear seat opening to a larger trunk, trip computer, fog lamps; little touches like lighted vanity mirrors, overhead storage, two 12-volt outlets, auto on/off headlamps, rear center armrest; and of course the longer warranty. Also, the Elantra is quieter inside (less tire and wind noise) and has a smoother ride, albeit with less crisp handling. The Elantra gives up 1 mpg (EPA estimated overall) to the Civic. The Elantra is higher, meaning it's easier to climb into and out of than the Civic--more and more important as one gets older. ;)

If someone doesn't need a roomy rear seat, likes the way the Civic handles, likes its low stance, and doesn't mind paying more to get a Honda, the Civic would make a fine choice.
  • mjoshimjoshi Member Posts: 44
    I'm in market for a new car and narrowed down between Honda Civic v/s Hyundai Elantra. Both are similarly priced with Elantra being little bit cheaper than Civic. Mileage wise it seems both are on par. What is opinion of others ? I'll be driving in snow and seems Civic lacks certain extra safety features that Elantra SE has. Also seems like CR rated Elantra SE higher than Civic just because of extra safety features.
    The Elantra SE does have standard electronic stability control with traction control, which is not available on the Civic LX (rumors are that it will be available on the LX for 2009). Both the Civic and Elantra are highly rated by CR, with the Civic EX with a stick shift tying the Elantra SE with automatic in their rankings (both got 82 points), with the Civic EX with automatic getting 78 points.

Other than the ESC/traction control, the cars have similar safety features. The Civic has done very well in crash tests, as has the Elantra but the Elantra hasn't been tested by the IIHS for side impact yet.

The cars are quite a bit different in other aspects, though (I've driven both). Civic has crisper handling and slightly better fuel economy (29 vs. 28 mpg EPA combined), the Elantra has a roomier interior and trunk and a softer, quieter ride. They are both really good small cars, but you might prefer how one drives vs. the other. The Elantra SE also includes quite a bit more equipment than the Civic LX, e.g. alloys, fog lamps, leather wheel with audio controls, XM radio, rear center armrest, lighted vanity mirrors, trip computer, heated mirrors.

The other thing to consider is that although the Elantra costs less up front, the Civic has historically higher resale value. That can be important if you plan to keep the car for only 2-3 years. There are some great incentives on the Elantra now, with a rebate ranging from $1500-2000 depending on state.
    If driving a lot in snow, the Civic lacks Stability Control, the Elantra's main advantage. The Elantra is really a great deal, as it offers more features for less money. The Civic is a real hoot to drive though!
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I own one..a 2006 EX automatic sedan and "hoot to drive" isn't one of the terms I'd use. More like stiff over road irregularities, lots of wind and road and/or tire noise, not happy to stay in 5th gear, twitchy steering combined with a tiny steering wheel (some may love this direct feel = "hoot to drive") that causes the car to change direction if you are only thinking about a direction change. It well known I do not like our Honda but without getting into my specific problems with the car I find I like the Elantra better on the face of it simply because it rides better, is larger inside, is quieter, steers and handles less like it is on crack (but well enough and by no means does it feel sloppy) and it does have a whole host of standard features simply N/A on the Honda. Oh, the Elantra is much cheaper than an EX sedan..ours was $19,680 in 2006 and the price has only gone up since then. I should add, before someone else does, that I am partial to Hyundai. Biased, that's me ;)
    The Elantra is more cushy. The Civic is more sporty.
    The Elantra is more relaxed. The Civic is more high-strung.
    The Elantra is more boring. The Civic is more exciting.
    The Elantra has a slower-responding, "big-car" feel. The Civic has a quick-on-its-feet, agile feel.
    Targettuning likes a more comfortable ride and doesn't like the quick-handling Civic :) . TheGraduate's dad likes the sportiness of the Civic and didn't want a "boring" car. :)

The Elantra is indeed quieter, bigger, and softer riding than the Civic. But, that doesn't mean "better" for everyone. Just like quick-ratio steering and more agile handling is "better" for target.

For people like my folks (who have a problem-free 2007 with 42k miles) the Civic is fun. My dad said he loves the "point and shoot" feel of the Civic. I've driven it, and it is fun to scoot around in; much more fun than my Accord (even though my Accord is a good deal quicker in the straight line).

My folks got their Civic EX 5AT for a little under invoice ($17,280) , and got blue-book for their Accord when they traded in. The Elantra is a value-buy, but then the Civic isn't priced like a Rolls-Royce either.
    For sportiness and a quick-on-its-feet, agile feel, I'd go for a Mazda3 vs. a Civic LX (or Elantra).

And I don't mind boring if it includes "boring" through ice and snow with the help of ESC and traction control. ;)
    That's what I had given the advantage to (Elantra) to the poster's intial post. They were asking about snow-driving. As far as safety goes, I know my dad's Civic has 4-channel ABS, Electronic Brake Distribution, Front, Side, and Curtain Airbags, and I think the ACE body structure. It's a darn safe car, all it really lacks is the VSA (VSA, VSC, ESC, whatever :)) But, at the moment, the Elantra leads the competition because it has stability control available. If the Civic comes in with it standard on all models, Hyundai will have to step it up and deliver on the GLS!

I can't help but imagine the Civic will have this for the MMC. Let's hope.

And, the Mazda 3 has SO MUCH road rumble with the 17" tires I couldn't stand it (the i version has 16" wheels and aren't quite as bad). The Civic sort of meets the Elantra and the 3 in the middle.
    okay today I had chance to test drive Civic & Elantra one after other and last back to my Mazda 3 Hatchback. To be honest neither Elantra nor Civic came anywhere close to Mazda 3. I was planning to trade-in Mazda 3 (call me confused) for Elantra or Civic but after test drive probably I'll have to think twice. My Mazda 3 gives me 25-26mpg during winter time city driving in upstate NY. Well between Elantra and Civic, Civic seemed to be better in terms of layout but road noise is more pronounced on Civic compared to Elantra. On other hand engine noise is more on Elantra compared to Civic so after driving both cars I'm now more confused. Seems probably try and drive Corolla next.
    Make sure you have coffee and plenty of sleep before driving the Corolla. :shades:

May I ask why you are considering ditching the 3? I've always liked them, except for the tire noise and vibration in the cabin (my experience is with a 2004 3s and a 2007 3i - the 3i is seemingly better than the s).
    I don't know why you'd want to trade in the Mazda3s hatch, but neither the Civic nor Elantra sedan is anywhere close to it. Nor is the Corolla, as you'll find out. The Matrix XRS, maybe now you are getting a little closer. Or if you can wait until this fall, the Elantra Touring will be out, which will give you the hatch/wagon configuration, sport-tuned suspension and steering, short-throw B&M shifter, and 17" alloys option (16s standard). So, much closer to your 3 hatch than the Civic or Elantra sedans, but with more interior and cargo room than you have now.

Or just hold onto the 3 hatch for awhile and wait about 18 months for the next-gen 3?
    I've 04 Mazda 3 S and I personally am happy with the car. The problem is it is stick shift and my wife dont know how to drive stick. She drives Honda Odyssey which is almost 5 years old and with gas prices heading north we were thinking it is not worth hauling it around town. We were looking for something more fuel efficient. Mine is first gen 3 (04 model) and I probably can stick around longer with it.
    One more thing I was offered $15300 yesterday at dealer on Elantra SE with mudguard and floor mats. Honda Civic LX seems to be coming down to $16984. So there is price difference of $1600. But on other hand when you compare that to depreciation TCO as per Edmunds it depreciates $8,840 over 5 years period whereas Elantra depriciates $12,546 at end of 5 years. So in that terms do you think Civic is better value ?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    She drives Honda Odyssey which is almost 5 years old and with gas prices heading north we were thinking it is not worth hauling it around town.

If its 5 years old then most likely its either paid off or nearly paid off. If thats the case if the Odyssey is still running good then you should keep it. The gas savings in switching to a newer more fuel efficient vehicle will not offset the costs in getting a new car.

But on other hand when you compare that to depreciation TCO as per Edmunds it depreciates $8,840 over 5 years period whereas Elantra depreciates $12,546 at end of 5 years. So in that terms do you think Civic is better value ?

Somehow that doesn't sound right, percentage wise my Elantra didn't depreciate that much in the fist five years,

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I drive the Civic and the better half drives the Mazda...keep your Mazda and minivan. The amount in savings won't be worth it when all is said and done so just be patient for awhile and revisit your plan after the summer driving season ends.

I've come to the conclusion here that we all have our preferences when it comes to the Civic, Elantra, 3 and Corolla and none of us are going to change our minds from what I can see. Each vehicle has +'s and -'s and there isn't one car overall that has what we all want or need. But I think within a few years, that one vehicle may emerge...and I for one can't wait.

What is Toyota thinking? Saw a brand new Corolla LE yesterday with the nice alloy wheels but the B pillars made it look like last years CE...what gives? Is the LE now the base CE model?
    Take those depreciation numbers with a grain of salt. For example, four years ago I bought a loaded (as loaded as you could get then) Elantra GT for $13,200 + T&L. Right now Edmunds.com estimates that I could get about $8000 for that car in a private-party sale, about $7000 for a trade-in. So the car has depreciated either $5200 or $6200 in four years, depending on whether you would trade the car in or sell it yourself (I sell my cars myself). Do I think that in the next year, my car will depreciate another $6000-7000 or so? I don't think so. If Edmunds.com's predicted depreciation for the 2008 Elantra SE were to come true for you, it would be worth less than $3000 after five years. I think that is utterly ridiculous, unless you plan on trashing the car and driving it into the ground in the next five years.

Also consider that you are not comparing apples to apples in comparing the price of an Elantra SE to a Civic LX. The SE has much more equipment than the LX. A closer comparison would be the Elantra GLS with preferred package to the LX, or the SE plus moonroof to the Civic EX.
    Well, if I wanted an exciting ride I'd have a Corvette (and I do want one) but a small sedan for daily use and occasional longer road trips I like quiet and smooth. The Civic is OK but just OK and if you compare it to the current generation Elantra in those categories alone it is no contest. The Elantra handles well enough that it won't fall on its side on curves and again that is good enough. I could speak in a normal voice while conversing in the 2007 Elantra we rented last fall but have to speak over the interior/wind/tire noise in our Civic. I guess I just want peace and quiet now. When I was younger the louder the exhaust and intake noise (cowl induction) was on my SS-454 Chevelle (1970) the better.
    The Civic appeals to people who want some excitement; remember not everyone can AFFORD a Corvette, or can fit their kids in a Corvette, or can pay the gas bill of a Corvette, or insure....etc. So they compromise... and get what they can afford, or fit into, etc... It doesn't make one better than the other, only different.
    Sorry, I just don't see the Civic as an "exciting" car. The Si maybe, with its 200 hp engine. But a Civic LX? Nope. "Quirky" is I think more apt, with the bi-level gauges. Otherwise it's ho-hum, small-carsville--very well done, but nothing to raise my pulse. Now, if I could have found the quantum torpedo controls on the control panel of the Civic LX I rented a few weeks ago, then that could have been exciting! :)
    Comparing a Civic to an Elantra, I'd call the Civic exciting.

Comparing a Civic to a Corvette, not so much! :shades:
    The Civic appeals to people who want some excitement;

:confuse:

Excuse me but if a Civic puts some excitement in your life you must live in a monestary,

What is it exactly that makes a Civic LX more exciting to you than an Elantra SE?

* The extra 2 hp (but less torque)?
    * The spiffy plastic wheel covers (vs. the five-spoke alloys on the Elantra)?
    * The extra noise in the cabin smacking your eardrums?
    * The firmer ride (where each bump = excitement... uh, no, we won't go there)?
    * The tighter cabin (so you can be closer to those you love, especially in the back seat, with not even a center armrest to keep you apart)?
    * The thought that if you go around a curve too fast, you don't have the "electronic nanny" ESC to help keep you on the road? (I guess that could get the heart a thumpin' and the corpuscles a-jumpin')?
    * The realization that you'll be on your own as far as paying for any problems anywhere from 2-5 years sooner than with the Elantra?
    * The sudden realization that the big blue digital readout in front of you is NOT the outside temperature, the big round gauge in front of you is NOT the speedometer, and now you know why those flashing red lights are coming up behind you?

Or maybe something else?
    It's that certain intangible feeling that one gets in a Honda or a Toyota...something that just can't be put into words. That's what puts these two car makers at the top...the benchmark so to speak. It's like class...either you have it or don't. Hard to explain...but it was in every Toyota that we've owned and now with our Honda.

The Sandman :)
    Or maybe something else?

It is something else. Its putting on that huge exhaust that makes the car very loud (and slower), and a stupid looking spoiler that looks like it was made in a high school metal shop, as well as stupid looking lighting effects. So that they can go down the street looking like big wigs in a fast car that in reality will lose to a 3 year old with a big wheel.

Yes. With the Hondaness plus $2.00 I can get a small beverage at Starbucks.

:)
    The "more excitement" (in my world) comes from more poise in corners, less body-roll, a zingy engine, the exceptional steering, the "no-eyes-off-the-road-time speedo".

As you know I'm not anti-Hyundai (I try to stay pretty level-headed). Extra noise doesn't bother me (one of my vehicles is a 12 year old Honda! :)), and space, warranties, and styling don't have anything to do with how exciting a car is to drive, so I fail to see your point about those attributes.
    I'm happy this forum is awake again. :)
    wow that is one heck of explaination LOL.
    Excitement is where you find it. Some folks buy Mustangs with V6s. Some folks get excited by big digital readouts. Me, I get pretty excited by having a car that's compact on the outside, big and comfy on the inside, takes me smoothly over frost-heaved roads, entertains me with a nice sound system with XM radio, caresses my hands in soft leather, cuts through ice and snow better than anything shy of AWD, and keeps me and mine safe.

If I wanted great cornering, a zingy engine, and exceptional steering at a reasonable price there would probably be a numeral in the car's name. Maybe even the word "speed" (hints at excitement, doesn't it?).
    If I wanted great cornering, a zingy engine, and exceptional steering at a reasonable price there would probably be a numeral in the car's name. Maybe even the word "speed" (hints at excitement, doesn't it?).

(You thinking 328i? :) I am!)

But if you wanted a new car, and didn't want to spend more than $20k, those things are out of budget with the exception of Mazda's 3. The Mazda 3s is a good buy, and shares similar characteristics with the Civic (although the 3's road noise and tire vibration are much more HEAVILY pronounced in the examples I've been in). The Civic meets the two in the middle, although it leans more towards the Mazda than the Elantra.

You guys are taking my "excitement" comment way too far. I never claimed the Civic to be a Bimmer alternative, or a poor-man's Porsche; just a more fun alternative to the Elantra. The Elantra has plenty of wonderful attributes (space, ride comfort, Stability Control), but it isn't something I'd ever consider to be "fun." Sort of like a small Camry; practical, but boring.
    Apart from your excitement comment and dont want to pick on you (and that is seriously not my intention) but I drive Mazda 3 every day. And I test drove Civic LX other day and I'll tell you there is not difference in terms of road noise between two. And Civic has more pronounced wind noise than Mazda 3. Actually I was expecting similar thing from Civic as we owe Odyssey and we were ripping our hair initially with Ody's road noise & wind noise, so nothing ground breaking there from Honda.
    On other hand Elantra had higher engine noise especially when you rev it up.

Also one more thing I dont get how Edmunds and CR rates Civic higher than Mazda 3. Reason being the number of features Mazda 3 offers is more than Civic. It handles better than Civic and it costs less than Civic. It has better warranty than Civic, It holds it value same as Civic. I bought mine 04 Mazda 3 Hatch with everything except leather seat for like $17500 in 2004. If I wanted to get same featureset from Civic it would have costed me more than that (and some of things like Stability control is not even available on Civic). I'd say I loved the console layout of Civic more than my 3 or Elantra. Probably I would wait for year or two to see what comes out next.
    Here we go again with etheral feelings...things that cannot be explained. I tell you I own a 2006 Civic and I don't hear any supernatural whispering in my ear when I drive mine. Sarcastic? sure but I want to throw up my hands in exasperation when I read of those "feelings" that subliminally say......"brother, you bought the best". OK, the Civic is a good car but no better than others within the class, and in many ways worse. Just me though. :)
    How is it some in here think "they know it all" and use sarcasm as a way to answer others opinions that they don't agree with...whatever. Since you are having so many problems with your car...dump it already and move on. This forum is just like the Mazda 3 one about four years ago. There was one particular poster who had some problems with his 3 and went on...and on...and on...until it got tedious to read the forum. Many of us just left because of the constant negativity. Luckily when I came back about a year later, it was a much nicer atmosphere in there.
    On a side note here, there are five Civic owners from this generation at my installation and none have had all the problems some keep talking about in here. Only two of us had the lug bug problem taken care of and besides that...nothing. Two were assembled in Japan, two in the U S and the last in Canada. A pretty fair random sample and nada...just five happy owners. That fact alone tells me volumes about the quality of the Civic.
    Still love my Civic and the wife still loves her Mazda. Hopefully in the fall my kid will get her Elantra and then I'll be able to come back and post some real life opinions about all three cars. Enjoy your cars and if not...move on to something else. Life's way to short.

Outta here.......The Sandman :)
    If you are referring to me I freely admit that I certainly don't "know it all". I only know about that with which I have had nearly three (3) years first hand experience (that would be our 2006 Civic EX sedan). It seems when someone disses the Civic they are whiners dragging down the happy Honda family. Why should only the "great car..no problem...best car ever" comments be seen? Sarcasm, by the way, is an accepted form of addressing others although you may not like it it has its place.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    There was one particular poster who had some problems with his 3 and went on...and on...and on...until it got tedious to read the forum.

I remember him...one of the reasons why I left for a while. He had the A/C problems, yeah?
    crickets chirping

This is very surprising to notice how dead it is in here. Especially with the Civic probably getting ESC in 09...but the Elantra getting a hatchback/touring/whatever type deal.

I'm considering these two in the fall, with the spiky gas prices. I like having a hatch...but I'd also like to get nav (in dash please, no goofy add-ons with wires all over the place). I drive 100 miles to work and back per day, so MPGs are important....but so is a long warranty. My my what a quandry, hmm?
    Since you drive 100 miles a day, you might also consider the 2009 Sonata Limited I4. Its highway fuel economy isn't much different from the Elantra's, it has a 5AT, it has a factory nav option, it's a quiet and comfy highway cruiser, and historically has had much bigger incentives than the Elantra, so price-wise it won't be much different than a loaded Elantra Touring and would probably cost less than the Civic EX-L with nav (once the 2008 Sonatas are cleared out that is).
    Maybe so, but the MPGs are going to be a rather significant step down on the Sonata. Even with the new 5 speed auto, it's only rated at 31 highway.
    2 MPG highway isn't that significant when you're talking about that much extra power, space, and comfort. The Elantra gets 33 hwy, per EPA.

Besides, if the Elantra and Sonata are anything like my dad's Civic and my Accord, the Sonata's torquier engine will help it go over and above the EPA estimates on the highway, where the Elantra's 2.0 will have to work harder, and no exceed the numbers so well, especially in hilly or higher-speed (70+) sections. I routinely get 37+ on my Accord, and he gets about that as well, going the same speed. The difference is that I have 32 more lb-ft of torque and a lot more passing power, room, and comfort.

Around town, his car would outperform mine mileage-wise though, due to his car being lighter and having 75% the displacement of my car.
    It's not (totally) about torque...it's about gearing. So what I really want to know is how many RPMs each engine turns at about 70-75 MPH (that's cruising speed on the interstates here unless one wants to get run off the road by angry drivers).
    Actually 32 mpg highway for the Sonata I4, or about 3% less than the Elantra. And we don't know what the ratings will be for the Touring yet. An acceptable tradeoff IMO for 37 more horses and the extra room and comfort of the Sonata.
    Unless one likes the hatch...I've still got my 04 Mazda3 5-door and a hatch REALLY comes in handy sometimes. But with the selection so narrow, I may break down and get a trunk anyway...can't get a Sonata with a hatch, can't get a regular Civic with a hatch anymore...so sad, ya know?

I'm semi-considering the Sonata, but I have to see how the incentives shake out. I'm really not too sure on getting something that big, though the range increase on the gas tank might be handy.

Incidentally, Edmunds gives the Sonata I4 as 30 MPG highway. Elantra is 33 MPG, Civic is 36 MPGs.
    Incidentally, Edmunds gives the Sonata I4 as 30 MPG highway.

30 for the automatic, 31 for the manual. Fueleconomy.gov is the final say on EPA numbers, as far as I'm concerned.
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    I own a 2007 Sonata I4 with auto. I got 32 MPG on a recent trip from NC to NY.

I had owned a 2002 Elantra (auto) and averaged 28-30 mpg on my 26 mile round trip to work. With my Sonata I had averaged 25-26 for the same trip. I try to measure my mileage each tankfull by dividing miles on trip counter by gallons.

I hope this info helps!
    Try checking the EPA numbers for the 2009 Sonata--they are improved for 2009 over 2008. I don't think they are posted yet on fueleconomy.gov yet though.
    I believe you are right; thanks for clarifying!
    If you want a hatch and factory nav and good fuel economy, your best bet might be the 2009 Fit or Matrix. Then there's the Prius, but it gets kind of pricey. And I read the 2009 SX4 will have nav standard, at a low price.

Personally I never much understood the value of factory nav, when the time I need it most is when I am on a business trip out of town--driving a rental car. :surprise:
    Is the 2009 Fit going to have VSC/ESC/ESP/VSP or whatever other alphabet soup they use to denote traction and stability control? I haven't found out one way or the other.
    Yes, VSC will be availble on the Fit for 2009.
This discussion has been closed.