Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I'm starting to consider a new car for this fall, when my current Chrysler LHS lease ends. Just went to the Chicago Auto Show and was intrigued by the GM as being a lot of car, and a lot of car for the money. What has been the experience with the current LSE and Ultimate? Pros and cons? Reliability? What is expected for 2003? (I read above about stiffer frames in the offing.) Are heated seats available? Any info would be appreciated.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
  • yonsei93yonsei93 Member Posts: 22
    The color of the transmission is reddish/pink. The smell is OK. I started to notice the smell since last week. I don't know what it is to be exact.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Just a shot in the dark here, but could the transmission be leaking onto the exhaust pipe/catalytic converter?
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    Looking at a 1999 CV with 19K on it. One owner trade in. Car went in service in July 1999, so there's original warranty til July 02. Would like to buy Ford extended warranty. Anyone have comments or experience with this? How many types of extended warranties are there, and what is the ballpark cost?
  • jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    Hello All:
    Just purchased a used 1 owner GS with 65,000 highway miles. I had a 89 that just fell apart at 120,000 miles.
    This is a nice car and found out the other owner had driven this to Florida every winter and changed the oil every 3,000 miles. The torque converter was replaced at 46,000 miles. I read that this was a problem with this year. My question is was the converter design changed so this will not happen again? Seems like a defect from the factory.
    Thanks!
  • mjcorbinmjcorbin Member Posts: 1
    Greeting,
    I am about to replace my worn out '91 Camry with a possible 2001 CV. This car is new/leftover from previous year. 300 miles and every option on it. From $28K the dealership is willing to drop to $21K for a starting point. I have viewed all the posts, visited several sites on the web. It looks like I might get down to $20K, probably not any farther. My question is, "Do I push my luck and go for the current used price of $18.5K?"

Or get happy and get a new car?

thanks for any assistance,
    Michael.
    I think whoever had the torque converter replaced could have saved themselves a lot of money. The problem isn't with the torque converter, it's with the transmission fluid. The transmission is just hard on its fluid, and if you don't flush it all out and refill it every 30,000 miles or so, the torque converter will start shuddering. A mechanic who's not familiar with Ford transmissions gets ahold of one doing this, and he's laible to assume it's the torque converter, and replace it. Of course, that requires a transmission fluid change, so the problem gets fixed without ever identifying the real culprit. Keep your transmission fluid changed, and you should have no trouble at all.
    OK, thanks for your post!

But what is the next course of action? Where do I pinpoint the leak? Any post would be helpful.
    Well, that's just speculation on my part, but the way to pinpoint a leak is to get under the car. If it's leaking, then most likely, the transmission, and a buch of other stuff under there will be coated with transmission fluid. If so, wipe it down, clean it up good, and check under there regularly to see where it's coming out. Check it often enough that you can see where the leak is starting before it covers the underside of your transmission with fluid again. I had the transmission start leaking in my T-Bird, and it made a big mess under there!

Realize that it may be something totally different causing the burning smell. My '78 Mercury lost every gear but first due to a very poor rebuild, and when you revved the engine to the limit in 1st, going downhill with a tailwind to get all the speed you could get, the transmission would get very, very hot. This could not be good for the transmission, and probably cooked the fluid. I never smelled anything during that experience, but I certainly felt the heat coming through the transmission tunnel (the hump between the front seats) into the passenger compartment.
  • rbarilerbarile Member Posts: 5
    My brother has a 99 Crown Vic ( I have a 98 Grand Marquis) and his speedometer stopped working. The vehicle is still under warranty. He brought the car to Stoneham Ford, Stoneham MA for repair and they told him they had to "order the part". This was 8 weeks ago and still no part and my brother is driving around with no speedometer.
    The excuse that the dealer gave is that this is a common problem and they are having trouble stocking the speedometer parts. I happen to think that the dealer is lying. My Grand Marquis has zero trouble with the speedo (I assume its the same part).
    Anyone have a similar problem? Ford better fix this soon. I feel that it is un-safe to drive with a dead speedometer not to mention the fact that the odometer will never record the actual mileage on the car.
    " My Grand Marquis has zero trouble with the speedo (I assume its the same part). "

I'll tell you what's different between the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis....The grille, the taillights, and that little piece on the dash that says "Grand Marquis" or "Crown Victoria." And if you get one built at 4:45 PM on a Friday when Ford's low on parts, that piece on the dash might not be different.

As far as the speedometer, www.crownvic.net is one of my favorite websites (As much for the off-topic antics as for the car stuff), and no one, to my knowledge, has ever mentioned speedometer problems on there. It is certainly not a common problem. The dealer is selling you some bovine scatology (also known as BS). Light a fire under his rear and get him to get you that speedometer part. Be persistant. If that fails, be annoying and persistant. They'll fix the thing just to get you to shut up.
  • crownvicmusclecrownvicmuscle Member Posts: 1
    on the new car buy...if you can get the 0% financing thru Ford, it may be worth it to buy new...you will have to run the numbers.

BUT, if you can buy the 2001 w/ only 300 miles on it, for around 20K, that is a great deal. mechanically the cars are identical...the 2001 was the 1st year where ford used the PI (performance improved) heads, so 2001+ is the car you want anyhow. with dual exhaust, expect 235-240 HP at the flywheel. maybe 210 or better RWHP. take a test drive, you will love the car.

then consider underdrive pulleys, a lightning mass airmeter/airbox & a custom chip to make sure you WASTE all the other camrys on the road. that should add another 10 or more HP. =)

Geoff
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Has the interior been changed at all for 2003? I know the steering and front end has been updated, and the exterior styling is the same. Have not heard anything about the interior, but not a big fan of the slab look dash it has.

Any info on the interior, especially the Sport Edition, for 2003?
    Interior stays the same, from the pictures I've seen, aside from a couple of relocated switches. One good thing you can say about Ford interiors is that, while they may look strange, there are very functional and ergonomic.
  • dch36dch36 Member Posts: 6
    After spending many enjoyable hours reading all of the comments here, I went out and bought myself a 2000 MGM, and love the car. Thanks to all, especially the "regulars".
    I have a question concerning the wheel covers. Last week, I tried to rotate the tires, but couldn't get the wheel covers off. I was bending them alot but didn't want to force the covers off in case they're somehow attached/locked.
    Are they attached or was I just not trying hard enough? The car has the plain steel wheel with (I think) the base wheel cover.
    Thanks for your help.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    When can we expect the 2003 CV/GM's to show up in dealer showrooms? I know production of the 2002's has ceased.

I ask because the changes sound quite interesting, and I want to drive one before considering what to do about replacing my current wheels!

Thanks!
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The 2003's will arive in May. I plan to buy a new CV/GM also within the next two years to replace a 93 Taurus I inherited.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    I don't know about 2002 model, but my 95 MGM has special screwdriver which matches specially shaped screw or whatever in the middle of the wheel cover, under small plastic merqury logo cover.
  • melmomelmo Member Posts: 11
    Any one know how to r&r the front-head rests from the seats on the 2000 GM, short of nuclear attack of course:)
  • jtw229jtw229 Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate the responses to questions posted in the past. Have a 99 Camry that I may replace in June with a CV or a GM. Can anyone confirm that the 2003 will debut in May? Does anyone know of a website that can offer a view? Thanks.
    http://www.crownvic.net says the LX Sport version will be delayed due to 'engineering concerns.' It does not say the other 2003's will be delayed. I KNOW that 2002 production has ceased and that 2003 production has begun.
    I have a 99 GM LS with 50K. The seat adjustment for the back (lumbar support) does not seem to work! Has anybody experienced this before?? Is there a electrical fix on this issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Is there any other accessory that doesn't work? If so, it may be tied into the same fuse.
  • offset_98offset_98 Member Posts: 31
    So what does everyone think of a 24 yr. old buying a new CV? I need a decent company car and my 300Z won't cut it. I had a '90 CV and I loved it...until I blew the 'ole 5.0 trying to top it out in central Illinois. After that it was all over. My questions...why is there no moonroof option on this car? And the paltry 80 watt stereo? Come on...I can't modify the car because it will be a company car. Any word on when the Sport package will be available? Got a call from my dealer who said they couldn't order for me until further notice. I don't remember why he said.
  • e_gillmane_gillman Member Posts: 12
    I have an 01 LX Sport. I added an aftermarket sunroof that works as well or better than the factory ones. It's made by Webasto. Dealers everywhere. Looks factory, slides, pops, is a moonroof and has a shade. Also closes automatically when you shut off the engine. Cost $1100.00 installed. NO PROBLEM. For the wimpy stereo, I added a sub woofer in the trunk. With that, it sounds great because the mids and highs from the factory unit ar OK. Just needed a low freq boost.
    I hear the 02 Sport pkg is delayed. It's worth the wait, or find an 01.
    GOOD LUCK
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    check post 805 on the Mercury Marauder chatbox for an update on the delay.
    Actually the 02 Sport Package was available. It is the 03 Sport which will be delayed, supposedly due to testing of the 17" wheels.
  • jcooney3jcooney3 Member Posts: 7
    Have creaking noise right front wheel when going over speed bumps.(not shock) suspect "A" frame rubber bushings. Spray lube does not seem to do anything as well as WD40..Any help???
    My '00GM has never had what I would call good headlights. Adequate would be a better definition. Now I understand there are replacement bulbs to cure the problem. However, I've also heard these superbright bulbs can burn the reflectors that refocus the light, or somehow screw up the computer. Anyone used these? What kind? Did it help?
    check the alignment of your lights. Brighter is better, but not when they are out of alignment. The really bright bulbs are for "off road use" only and can be purchased at most 4WD truck accessory shops.
  • harmarharmar Member Posts: 94
    My '00 GM's lights also seemed to me to be less than they could be. I replaced the bulbs with Phillips (~$10 each on sale) "blue" halogen replacements. I haven't measured the difference scientifically, but they do seem brighter, especially on high beam. There is no "blue glow" and the packaging said they are "street legal." The only "problem" I had was with the relatively tight space there is to manipulate one's hand, the bulb, etc. getting them in and out. It took around 20 minutes, total, for both. I did save the old ones, as I have no idea how long Phillips bulbs last. Good luck.
    the lights should be off when starting the engine.
  • pk973pk973 Member Posts: 1
    2002 CV LX Sport Gas Pedal Vibration by dickypoo -------

I have this same problem on my 2000 MGM LS. I bought it used with 23000 miles. It developed this pedal vibration at about 26500 miles after the third time it was worked on for a oil leak. The second time it was worked on the entire engine was replaced because the previous Ford dealer left it with multiple oil leaks. The third time there was only a head gasket oil leak. It doesn't leak oil any more but the Accelerator pedal has this same buzzing vibration. Slowing down or speeding up makes the vibration go away. In my case I suspect they didn't put something back together right or something is loose. I haven't taken it back to the dealer for the pedal yet. Have you found out the cause of this?

pk973
  • e_gillmane_gillman Member Posts: 12
    I had installed the aftermarket bulbs drawing 90 watts on low beam and 100 watts on high. They were brighter but then I read a memo from Ford claiming that these higher wattage bulbs could burn reflectors and wiring. So, I ordered a set if PIAA superbright lights. They are DOT legal and draw 55 watt low beam and 65 watt high beam. They are FANTASTIC. Cost was a little high at $ 70.00 the pair, but that's worth it for the increased brightness.
    jimmyv1: The K&N filter they sell in the auto parts stores will fit your 99 MGM, however, it's a real squeeze. You must be careful to orient the two small oblong tabs on the top of the filter gasket. I'm not sure which way is correct (they don't tell you in the instructions) but there are only two ways to go. One is a very tight squeeze the other is impossible -- and yes the filter box will close with the tabs engaged. Having said all that my advice would be to ash can the K&N and replace it with the 10 times less expensive paper ones, Fram or whatever. I wasted $50 on that filter and could see no difference in the performance of the car. Besides, if you try to clean it and get too much oil on the media you will screw up some very expensive sensors
    It could also apply to you & save you over a thousand bucks.
    To no apparent fanfare, the 2oo3 specs, prices and invoices for the 2oo3 Grand Marquis are now right here on the Edmunds site. (All that is missing is the review). The Crown Vic is NOT up yet, though the Town Car is. Notably, the LSE 5 passenger runs nearly $30 k, without options. That does not bode well for the Marauder. My guess that the MINIMUM MSRP for that vehicle is $35k, without including any dealer markup over MSRP. All prices are in US dollars.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    According to Automotive News, Ford switched to 03 model production in February. Does that mean they will end 03 production early for a major changeover for 04? Anyway, the 03's appear to have worthwhile changes including better steering, brakes and stronger frame. If they would only improve the seats/pillows!!
    The seats are improved, according to Ford. FIRST day of production for 2oo3 was 3/25. The 2oo2 model year was a short run. 2oo3's will continue until the 2oo4 would normally be introduced, fall of Calendar Year 2oo3.
    It looks like Edmunds hasn't done a road test since '98. Maybe they'll do one for 03??
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    I'd like to buy a Vic or Marquis as a comfortable tow vehicle...the dingbats at my local Ford Dealer can't "remember" when the Crown Vic's tow
    capacity got knocked down to 2000lbs. I seem to remember that they used to be able to pull around 5000lbs, which I'll need. can anyone here point me in the right direction, or better yet, direct me to how I can modify a newer 'Vic to tow 5000lbs. The engine and powertrain seem capable, is it something stupid like no available trans cooler or weak alloy wheels that keep this big, body on frame car from really pulling?
    Thanks any and all.
    I'm not real sure, but I think Ford replaced a part of the 4R70W transmission with play-doh to make it go out if you tried to tow 5,000#. Something that it's a pain in the cabeza de vaca to modify. They want the towing crowd to buy cash cows, er, I mean SUV's, instead of sedans is the reasoning behind that.
    www.crownvic.net
    They can tell you there when the two rating was dumbed down. They know their Crown Victorias.
    In '94 I bought a TC with the "Handling Package" which includes one tire size bigger, dual exhaust, firmer stabilizer bars, higher axle ratio, & other minor improvements. In consideration of towing the boat I added a 10,000 lb transmission cooler, and a Class III hitch. Transmission oil is changed as needed by testing the look and smell. Drive with no quick starts and stops & you will be O K.
  • sante1sante1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Grand Marquis LS and I am wondering if anyone knows if the 5.0L engine in my car is the same as the 5.0L Mustang engine and are their parts interchangeable.
    I would also like to know what order I should put performance parts on the car to increase horsepower and torque. If there are any. Thank you.
    Suggest you go to following site to find out:

http://www.crownvic.net/

• HacksawHacksaw Member Posts: 29
    The front end noise is probably the hood latch. Lube it up. I had the same problem with my 98 Vic. There's a number of messages here for that same complaint.

As for towing... I think the 5000# package went away somewhere around 1995. I know it wasn't available in 1997. Either way, that's a lot of weight to tow with any car. If you're just pulling a boat down to the ramp, 5000# properly equipped is fine. But I wouldn't want to be pulling that big a trailer cross-country.

Sure, Ford wanted to beef up its SUV sales and no doubt that went a long way in dropping their tow package on the CV/MGM. But I think increasingly large liabilities and changing safety standards over the years had the most to do with it. Most people have NO understanding what it's like to more than double the weight of your car. You're essentially a truck. A big wind could take you out.

But the car is largely the same, and in some cases even better for towing. Make sure you know what you're doing before you hook up 5000#, or even 1000#.
  • dmersdmers Member Posts: 23
    At 38K and 17 months of usage we had the Front shoulder harness retention springs replaced (on Ford just before warranty went out), replaced the cruise control on/off buttons (just missed warranty at $138.00), and the Idle control valve ICV motor replaced (again, just missing warranty-$126.00).

One Ford service tech said Ford is notorious for bad ICV motors. (My past track record w/other Fords cars verifies this statment--Syptom: the car dies after start up and put into drive). Another said all other Mfrs. are just as bad. (I can't verify, but sounds bad to all car owners)

I changed Trany oil/screen at 31K to correct the transmission shudder. What happened to quality control and good engineering?

I could expect these kind of repairs at 4-5 years of age or 65K miles; but at 17 months? This kind of stuff is enough to make me put up with Toyota Avalon rattles/squeaks.

Now, I'm worried about my wife being rear ended for gas tank explosions c/o latest news report on Police car accidents. Though, I still feel it is about the safest car on the road. (My wife walked out of one-a '92, after a 60 MPH head on wreck)

Hey, I had to get this off my chest after paying the repair bills. The ride cannot be beat and the V8 pulls as good as any through the mountains. This was the first new car I bought and will keep to about 150K. I have had about 5 GMarqs.
    Hey all,

I have a GM99 LS/single exhaust w/46000miles. It appears the driver seat is caving sideways. I wonder if this is covered under warranty?

Also those squeaks are back. I had experienced this before about 2 years ago. I lubricated the hood bumpers and lubed anything that was metal under the hood. Sounds like its back like a vengeance!! Any cure?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks
    I waited until the recommended 100,000 miles and it cost $1136 to repair. My idle air control valve doesn't kill the engine, it just sounds like a tanker's fog horn.