Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    Anyone have this or know what it might be? At a certain engine load (not much, like just enough to partly accelerate on flat terrain), a pretty loud whistling/squealing noise emanates from the engine compartment. Dealer has replaced idle control valve, PCV valve, and some air bypass tube. Other than that, the brakes make a click/clack sound now and then, and it needed a thermostat, and a couple other very minor things. I'm lucky to have a good dealer (seems rare nowadays), but they don't know exactly what is causing the noise. Plus, tranny pauses when shifting from 3 to 4, but only at light throttle so I'll bring it in for warranty when I get around to it. I wish Honda would make a full-size car, but Ford is it for now I guess. The car does feel nice to drive, and feels very safe, that's why I got it, although it needs softer base springs, like everything else on the road nowadays, what in the world are people thinking? I say go drive something truly smooth and they'll never go back to the rail riders they make nowadays. Happy driving everyone.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The sure-fire way is to count the exhaust pipes. If you have two, you've got it!
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    I am new to this board and am just getting interested in a Crown Vic or a Marquis, but I really want a sunroof with my next car. Am I correct that this is not a factory option with either car ? Are aftermarket installations available either from the dealer or others ? How much are we talking about for an aftermarket ? Also, what does this do to Ford's basic warranty ?

Thanks.
  • e_gillmane_gillman Member Posts: 12
    I have an '01 LX Sport. I also wanted to install a sunroof. I went with a Webasto slider. It is a sliding, popping moonroof with a sunshade. I had it installed by their dealer here in northern New Jersey. The install looks as good or better than factory. It works great, has an auto close function not available on factory sunroofs and is super quiet when open or popped. I highly recommend one. The cost, installed was $ 1200.00. I believe this is less than the factory one with similar features in other Ford products. Only thiong to remember is that the connections are critical so the auto-close works. You must identify the proper fuses to tap into and be sure to tap into the hot side of the fuse so as not to add the additional load of the sunroof to the existing fuse. Of course, there is an inline fuse specifically for the sunroof.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    wgr - Someone on the the Crown Vic forum (www.crownvic.net) posted a picture of an 03 Grand Marquis the other day with a factory overhead console and a moonroof. I believe it was shown on the Lizard Lounge Forum Board.

Ron35
  • 427435427435 Member Posts: 86
    You all heard about the "new and improved" 2003 CV's and GM's with the stronger, stiffer frames etc. What a crock!!! I just stopped at the dealer and inquired about the 2003 tow rating. I've been patiently waiting to replace my 1993 Grand Marquis, which I ordered with the then available 5000 lb towing option (and which has worked great towing a 3500 lb boat). Guess what, the new and improved 2003 models are only rated for 1500 lbs vs the 2000 lbs the 2002 models are rated for!!!! Even my company car, a 2002 Sable with fwd and a 3.0 litre V6 is rated for 1750 lbs.

Come on Ford management, you could offer something that neither General Motors or Chrysler can offer (let alone the Japanese)---a vehicle that could tow 3500 to 5000 lbs and still get 22-25 mpg when not towing. Yeah, it might cost you a few Ford SUV sales but many of the buyers would have probably bought their SUV from a competitor anyway----so you would have a net gain in sales!!

There has to be some sales benefit---the local dealer advertised 5000 lb towing until I asked to see the rating in a Ford spec in 2000 (it was dropped in 1997). Then, and only then, did he drop that from his full page color ads in the local newspaper!!
    enabling it to tow your boat. Start with the Touring or Handling option, then add a substantial transmission cooler, Class III hitch, and be sensitive to lugging when in OD. Naturally, you want the air shocks that may be included with the Touring package. IMO the 03's can tow, but with care while doing so. Good Luck
  • 427435427435 Member Posts: 86
    So why would I want to void my warranty and what mechanical inadquacy caused Ford to drop the tow rating to less than that of a Sable or Taurus????

Something is not right that a 4000 lb, rear wheel drive, full frame car with a 230 hp engine can't tow more than 1500 lbs!!!!
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I agree not equipping the car for towing is dumb.

One suprising reason could be that aluminum wheels cannot tow as much as steel wheels. That could be the major reason, and Ford attorney's don't want to get sued when one blows on the freeway.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Ford puts alloys on their F-150s, 250s & 350s. And they can tow up to what, 10k plus?

Must be the tranny... the Vic must not share a tranny with the F-150, or does it?
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Currently own a 2000 IMPALA LS. Very nice car lots of features and functions BUT it's a "sporty" ride and I miss the cushiness of the big Olds I used to drive. Standard Impala is supposedly a lot cushier but I didn't know at the time I purchased.

QUESTIONS for the CV/GM posters:

How do the CV and GM ride and handle? Any differences between them?
    What's the real-life MPG city and highway?
    How's the overall reliability?
    Does the rear seat fold down for long cargo?
    Is an in-dash CD/tape player available?
    Is there a Driver Info Center available to calculate fuel usage, average speed etc?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    The Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria differ only in the front & rear ends. Mechanicals are the same.

As for ride/comfort, that is the Grand Marquis's best area. I thought my T-Bird was comfortable until I rode in my Aunt's '99 or '00 (I forget which) Grand Marquis. At 70 it feels like it's sitting still.

Reliability is also excellent on these cars, as it's all tried & true technology. Taxi fleets routinely get 300,000 miles out of them. They do have on Achillese (sp?) heel- The '96 & up models have plastic intake manifolds on the engines that will crack eventually. Police and Fleet models of the Crown Vic have an extended warranty to cover that, but retail versions do not. Other than that, they're bulletproof.

I'm going to let someone with a newer car than my Grand Marquis answer the rest of your questions.
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    duraflex - I have an 01 Mercury GM and if you are interested in a cushy drive I would not get the HPP (handling and performance package), I do not have it and am very satisfied with the comfortable ride. This package stiffens the suspension, adds dual exhaust, about 15 horsepower and decreases fuel economy. I get 18-20 MPG in the city and between 24-27 on the highway. On reliability I have heard nothing but good things except for the intake manifold. Beginning in 01 Ford has extended the warranty on the intake manifold to 7 years/70,000 miles for all vehicles. The rear seat does not fold down for extra storage. Beginning in the 03 model year there is a premium sound in dash CD/Cassette. This model year will also include, for the first time, an overhead console featuring a driver info center. Prior to 03 the driver info center is only available with the digital dash, I have that option and it is handy. If you want additional info I would suggest going to the forums section of www.crownvicnet.com where there are a wealth of users available to answer any question you might have.

Ron35
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Great info and very promising news. For me, that DIC and CD/Tape would be worth waiting for. If they were smart, they'd offer them on the late model 2002s. The fold down rear seat would also be a good idea.

Not happy to hear about that PLASTIC intake manifold. In the past, several Ford models have been known to simply conk out while traveling at highway speeds. I trust the CV/GMs are not among them - right?

If I get closer to making a decision, I'll probably rent one for a weekend.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Our old '81 Granada and '85 Marquis used to shut off in the middle of the highway all the time. It was a major hassle and one of the reasons why we traded them in. My friend's '90 Aerostar used to do the same thing too. It's a miracle my '93 Mercury Villager doesn't do that; probably because of the Nissan drivetrain.
  • houndoghoundog Member Posts: 21
    Try the std suspension (GS/LS) and also try the LSE model with the HPP package. See which you like the best - both ride very well, but the LSE model handles the curves much better, will offer better performance, and still gets decent gas mileage. I have the HPP package, and I think it rides as good as a Caddy. Smooth, quiet, and has good passing power. The Marauder will be even better - 302HP - I love it!!
  • genex1genex1 Member Posts: 11
    Elsewhere on the Edmunds site, I found the comment that Mercury's brand name is struggling to stay alive. Is there any indication that the Grand Marquis is scheduled to be phased out soon?

I'm looking to buy the 2003 which looks to be an excellent vehicle. I presently own a 1996 which has been a delight. In my judgment, it has the best features of the Town Car at a much reduced cost. I am not sure of the advantage of a GM over a Crown Vic. I know they are mechanically identical but are there reasons to buy a GM rather than a CV? To my eye, the GM looks to be of slightly better quality.The price differential is not great. I am new to this forum and would appreciate any comments on the relative merits of the three vehicles I have mentioned. Thanks
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Grand Marquis will be around on its current platform until at least the 2010 model year. Mercury will be around for a long time. Ford is going to Mercury versions of the Escape and Windstar, plus a new sedan that will use the Mazda 6 platform. Mercury might not be around in 2015, but it won't be discontinued in the near future, either.
    the discounted price of the Executive Towncar with the discounted price of the Grand Marquis, the TC looks pretty good to me. $29,995 gets you a new TC today.
    Huh? The Town Car STARTS at 41,000. You can get a program (USED) Town Car for 29,995, but NOT a new one. At least not round here. Besides, I, for one, would rather have a Grand Marquis any day...

For a source on price and a review: http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosconsumer/0205/06/g01-478394.htm
    If anything, Ford would love to be able to cut off Crown Vic sales to anyone other than police & taxi services, and have only the Grand Marquis for the general retail public. That's how it is in Mexico. Of course, there is no Mercury brand in Mexico, so the Grand Marquis is sold as a Ford. It's still got the Mercury Taillights & grille, but badged as a Ford. I'd bet real money if Ford dropped the Mercury name, (don't hold your breath!) they'd drop the Crown Vic in favor of the Ford Grand Marquis. Personally, I know Grand Marquis's and LTD's/Crown Vics from about 1975 on, and in all generations, I like the Mercury version better. Not that I'm biased by owning one or anything ;-)

• harmarharmar Member Posts: 94
    1. - Several months ago, I heard the Mercury honcho interviewed on "American on the Road." Jack Nerad (?sp) specifically asked him about the rumors of Merc's demise. He flat-out, unambiguously denied it. He used the fact that they have new models under development as evidence of its viability.

2. - A buddy, retired from Ford, tells me that Mercury still makes a profit for Ford. As such, it is unlikely to be scrapped. However, after working for Ford 35+ years, my buddy says if the honcho said Mercury is NOT going away, it's a fair bet that it really IS on the chopping block.

3. - If one looks at Olds sales when GM [stupidly]announced it would be discontinued, it's hard to believe anyone's pronunciations re: a car's future. Why announce it to the world and have sales drop like a stone?

4. - Auto manufacturers, like other business administrators, have learned to act and sound like our esteemed politicians. I believe nothing they say and only half what I see them do.

5. - GM is a good car for the money, and very few of us are going to keep ours long enough to outlive the support that will be around even if Merc is dropped. Enjoy it now.
    a Beaverton Lincoln dealer. '02 Executives $29,995, but don't try to license it in CA. It won't pass the emission test.
    Well the newest TCs are 2003's, and there were huge rebates on the 2002's. Also, why do I suspect these may have been built for Cananda?
    " However, after working for Ford 35+ years, my buddy says if the honcho said Mercury is NOT going away, it's a fair bet that it really IS on the chopping block."

You'll forgive me if I find that logic a bit weak. What if the honcho knew Mercury was going to be around? What would he say to quell the rumors? Nothing? Then they rumors mills pick up on this eerie silence out of Dearborn that Mercury is dying. Of course he won't say they're killing it when they're not, and if he tells the truth, people just think he's lying. The best thing Ford can do to prove Mercury will stay around is to give the brand a whole lot more models that are more than just overdressed Fords.
    There is a $7,000 rebate on left over 2002 Town Cars in Ohio. Some is a regional program only.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    Turned over 225,000 miles in my 1998 Crown Victoria P71 yesterday.

Only repairs 175K to date have been:

Heater core (twice)
    Lighting Control Module (twice)
    Tires (four)
    Brakes (pads and turned rotors once)
    Transmission (finally burned up from my abuse at 203K)
    Mufflers (upgraded to glasspacks to scare pedestrians)
    Changed bulbs in instrument cluster
    Fuel filter (twice)
    Oil and Filter (about ten times)
    Fuel Sending Unit (once, gauge had died)
    Battery (twice, once because the mechanic let it die)
    Touch-up paint everywhere

And maybe some little pesky things I forgot...

Definitely can't wait to drive her all this year and next...now we can drive 6 year old cabs in Dallas instead of 5, so I get to use this through January 2004...and I expect to top 350K by then.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    that's impressive. Do you know if that was the car's original tranny that went at 203k? And what's the deal with 2 heater cores in 50k?

I had a chance (last summer) to buy a '98 P71 with 75k on it for $9900. I loved how it drove/rode, but was put off by the amount of rust it had (from never being washed). And by the amount of mud and field type grasses tucked under the hood... Damn deputies! ;)
  • italianmama912italianmama912 Member Posts: 4
    IF SO SIMILIAR HOW DO YOU CHOOSE ONE OVER THE OTHER. IN EDMUNDS DETAILS OF CROWN VIC THERE IS NO MENTION OF AIR SUSPENSION? ALSO CROWN VIC HAS A BETTER COMSUMER RATING, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY?
    The only differences between the Grand Marquis and the Crown Victoria are the radiator grille and the taillights, and a few minor misc. pieces of exterior trim, and a few hundred dollars MSRP. Really, it comes down to personal taste. I think the Grand Marquis is the better looking of the pair. Some people like the Crown Victoria better. For all practical purposes, consider the Grand Marquis as an appearance package for the Crown Victoria.

As far the Ford having a better Consumer rating than the Mercury, the only reason I can fathom is that the Ford is the one most often used by Taxi fleets, Police Departments, ect ect. Those types of customers attract about half the Crown Victoria's sales, and they're also the customers who rack up bunches & bunches of highway miles in short periods of time. So the average mileage of all 1998 Crown Victorias is much higher than the average mileage of '98 Grand Marquis. Somehow, all this extra, relatively trouble-free use must help the Ford's consumer rating, but not the Mercury's.
    Grand Marquis and the Towncar. I understand they have the same drive line from fan to axle, but what makes the TC worth all that more money?
    Which sedan has more overall legroom in front: the Chevy Lumina, Ford Crown Vic, or Ford Taurus?
    You do realise two things, right?

Specs are one way of measuring, but the best way is to sit down and see for yourself. Figures can and do lie...

Besides, what is OVERALL legroom? I have no idea what you mean by that. You really do need to try out the cars you are interested in. This is not a package of gum you are considering trying. If you buy a car, you are spending a LOT of money. You should be sure you are happy before you spend it!

Second, the Lumina is gone. Its sorta successor is the Chevy Impala, the ones they make now.
    Recently, I investigated how much back seat leg room there would be after the driver's seat was positioned. There remained perhaps adequate leg room in the back, but my right knee was lodged against the dash board while driving. I was interested in the Jag S Sport, but now am back to the Towncar. I'm used to all that room. (When your friends buy Linclon LS' and Cads you look at other options)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A journalist is looking for someone who bought one "twin" over another where the manufacturer offers two or more vehicles based on the same basic platform. (a Maxima vs. an I35 (or I30) or the TL vs. Accord)
    Did you know it was basically the same vehicle as the other?
    Why did you choose it over the other?
    Please submit your response to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 15.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Is the engine in the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis still totally made out of cast iron, just like in the old days?
    The engine has an iron block, but aluminum heads. '92-95 Crown Vics also have aluminum intake manifolds, while the '96 7 up have plastic intake manifolds. These will fail eventually. It's just a matter of time. Not much from the "old days" in this new 4.6 liter engine.

I'm not real sure about all the stuff the Town Car has, but it is 6" longer than the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, (I've heard a stretched version of the Crown Vi is supposed to come out, though), it has completely different sheetmetal, same mechanicals, and probably a lot more gadgets and doodads. The biggest reason the price is so much more is because there is a crosshair logo on the front of the car, and not a blue oval. As for doing the things a car is meant to do, the Crown Vic will do just as good as the Town Car. But if you want all the computerized gadgets, and the snob appeal that comes with the Lincoln name, the Crown Vic will never be as good. It's not meant to be. Ideally, Ford tries to market these cars so that the Crown Vic is aimed for police & fleet buyers, and for the segment of the public whose only real requirement in a car is lots and lots of interior acreage. The Mercury is in the middle, with more creature comforts than the Ford. It's for people who want a big car, but they want more than just a stripped down model. The Town Car is the top of the heap, for people who want a big luxury car loaded to the gills with every possible bell & whistle, and don't care that it costs twice what the lowly Ford does. In reality, however, this seems to be breaking down, as the difference between the Ford and the Mercury shrinks, and at the high end, they even encroach on the Town Car. You have to wonder if the Marauder isn't going to hurt the Town Car's sales. Ford doesn't want people buying a Marauder instead of a Town Car, they want people buying a Marauder instead of a GM or Chrysler.
  • koolusakoolusa Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a sporty 4-door sedan, don't like anything remotely Japanese (I know they now build them in the US, but still...), need trunk space (need room for a kids wheelchair), and would like to stay in sub-BMW price range.
    I have never seen a LX-Sport on the road, hence my question. Anybody out there with (driving) experience? I believe the merc Marauder is not due until late this year. What's the word on the street for the expected price?
  • sidishussidishus Member Posts: 1
    Since its time to replace our '94 CV, I took my wife to a lot to look at the 2003 GMs. Both of us were shocked at how chintzy the interiors are. In the LS Ultimate we found the carpet to be very ill fitting. As a matter of fact it barely fits. This was true on a 2002 as well. You can push the carpet over the hump in the front down nearly an inch. In the 2003 the little carpet piece on the door pocket was coming loose at the edges. For those who own a 2002 Grand Marquis; how is your carpet holding up?
    Also it seems that all the plastic is about a gauge thinner and more brittle than the material in our 94. Since most of these cars are sold in the sun belt, I wonder how long these interiors will last.
    rea98d you said only diff. bet. cv & gm was the front & rear ends. what are the differences?
    On the front end, the Crown Vic has chromed horizontal slats on the grill. Police, Taxi, & SAP package models black out the grille. The Grand Marquis has thinner, vertical slats.

In the rear, the Grand Marquis has a chrome strip through the tail lights, and red reflectors that run the width of the car. The Crown Vic just has the tail lights without the fancy chrome or the reflectors across the back of the trunk.

Search the net and I'm sure you can find some pictures. It's all cosmetic, so it comes down to which one you think looks best.
  • resagentresagent Member Posts: 4
    Im new here and looking to purchase either a 2000 or 2001 CV/GM. The only reason i would spend the extra money for the 2001 is for the power increase, but according to edmunds, there is 10 lb/ft less torque and peak torque occurs 1000 rpms later. That fact seems to put a damper on the 20 extra hp. I know these cars arent powerhouses, but, has anyone who has driven both prefer the performance of one over the other?
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    If you're looking for performance, the Marauder will do it for you, but will run around 34-35K, at least for the first few months.

You can get the Merc LSE which gives you the bucket seat interior, without the Marauder performance, but you still get 235 HP and a 3:55 rear with a handling package.

The LX Sport may have been dropped for 2003. Edmund's doesn't show it as an option.

Merc LSE is not available in black (I guess the Merc folks didn't want to confuse the public with black Marauders and black plain LSE's.) From pictures on www.fordvehicles.com website, the 2002 LX Sport was a very attractive car.

Figure with discount, high 20's for the Merc LSE, unless you wait for slow sales periods and factory incentives. Car lists for 30+.

For big boats, they are supposed to handle fairly well, due to the handling package. But, don't confuse them with sports sedans.

With the 2003 changes in the trunk, you should be able to get the wheelchair in without too much difficulty. (I know that I had trouble getting my mother's wheelchair into a 1989 Towncar with the old spare on a shelf design. But, I had no trouble putting her chair in the trunk of my 94 TBird.)
  • graybeegraybee Member Posts: 4
    Looking for a web site or national auto parts retailer which sells the protective disks which are placed between the brakes and the clear-coated aluminum wheels (called "lacy spoke"?) on the later-model GMs. This supposedly prevents the black brake-dust from building up on these wheels. Also, is brake-performance adversely affected?
    They don't.
    I MUST BUY A NEW CAR REAL SOON. CAN'T DECIDE BET. CV OR GM. ALSO SINCE IT IS ALREADY MAY IS THEIR ANY ADVANTAGE IN BUYING 2003 OVER 2002 FOR EITHER CAR. I NOW DRIVE A 1993 CV BOUGHT IN '95 AND HAVE HAD MANY PROBLEMS WITH IT, MAYBE I JUST GOT A LEMON.
    They are not building LX Sports right now; the rumor I have heard is they cannot get the aluminum wheels designed for the 2003 to either meet safety standards, or else the supplier cannot build them right now.

Anyways, it should be back, but maybe not until fall.