Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• amcardriveramcardriver Member Posts: 3
    Mine has only 50k on the clock, regularly check the power steering oil and this weekend checked the pump, but RECENTLY from time to time the steering feel started to get a bit stiff. It's soft in straight line but hardens as I turn the wheel left or right and then it eases off as the car runs into turn. The same when straightening up. Can't think what can be wrong saying that the oil and pump seem to be fine. It does not happen regularly but when it does - it's very distractive to the driving.

Never had anything simlar, my '95 Impala had some wining noise when steering but that went away with oil change.

On Mercury all tyres are less than 12 months old and the wheels have been balanced and aligned. Very annoying feeling but main concern is safety when driving at speed. Any suggestions please? :confuse:
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    Has anyone noticed that the rebates on a 2007 Grand Marquis are $5,500, but only $1,500 on a 2007 Ford Crown Vic ? Why the heck is that ? The Fords are selling so much better ?
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Ford doesn't want to sell the Crown Vic to civilians. All you have to do is go to a Ford dealer and ask about a Crown Vic. The salesmen and sales manager will get a nervous look in their eye, and then try to push you into a Five Hundred. It is the weirdest thing to have an automaker try to talk you out of buying one of their products, but that's what Ford does with the Crown Vic.

Due to marketing, they want non-fleet customers to buy a Grand Marquis.

Who knows why.
  • turbo301turbo301 Member Posts: 73
    Here are some theories:

1.) Grand Marquis are higher profit margin vehicles: it's the same basic car as a Crown Vic, but goes for many thousands more.

2.) Police departments have probably put pressure on Ford to keep the Crown Vic for fleet use only. Too many wannabes out there (me included LOL)!

3.) Keeping Crown Vics for police/fleet simplifies assembly: if every CV can get the fire suppression system, for example, it would make life easy (easier, rather) for the overpaid, underworked assembly staff.

4.) The Five Hundred is one of Ford's "new wave" vehicles that seeks to define the company's latest image. The more of those Ford can put on the street, the better off the company looks. Crown Vics (and Grand Marquis) are a symbol of the "old ways", which makes the company look stagnant. Corporate has probably told dealers to not bother pushing Panthers in an effort to kill off what they see as an outdated product. See General Motors and the F-body or B-body for details of this rediculous practice.

In Canada, any Panther except the Town Car is now fleet-only. Yes, I live 30 minutes from the plant, but I can't buy one new LOL! Buying them used is a much better deal anyway, and it gets the early bugs worked out. Have your dealer search the auctions, and you'd be amazed at what kind of stuff turns up! Try a small-town dealer, if you haven't already: they're far more willing to help with what YOU want, in my experience.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    Not worth buying new, Bought my 04 marquis ultimate edition 1 year old with 28000 miles for $14000 which is $18000 under retail price of $32000. Can't beat that can you but it was a hard find, an ultimate edition used after 1 year, because people who buy such a high end car like this usually keep them. No problems has 45000 miles now. :)
    They do make excellent used cars - resale is poor, and the flat out run forever.

I'm hoping to get 200,000 out of my current Grand Marquis.

The only thing that may change my mind is if/when they announce they are ceasing production - I plan on ordering one exactly the way I want from the factory, and will probably be my final Ford product.

On the list price, there has been $4,000 or more in rebates on the Grand Marquis for about the last 4 model years. Most dealers will sell at close to invoice less rebates.
    I don't think Ford will go with the Falcon of Europe for a replacement, rather I think Grang Marquis category is history, the Crown Vic will be replaced by the Intereptor concept, and the Town Car will be replaced by the MKR concept. What do you think? :confuse:
    If Ford was smart, they'd start bringing over the Australian products ASAP. Not just the Falcon, but their Fairlane would be a superb replacement for the Crown Vic.

As for what will really happen, I agree that a concept similar to the Interceptor will be made (although hopefully with a much better front that doesn't look like a loaf of bread!). It's a clear 300 rip-off, but the Five Hundred shows just how out of touch Ford has been lately, so even playing catch-up is appropriate at this time. The MKR is too wild for a Town Car replacement; I'm not sure what will replace it, but perhaps the TC will become a modern-day Checker and never change :)
    I agree - Ford is going to either let the Panther platform die, or replace it with a lesser car.

Ford doesn't have the talent in North Amercia to design automobiles domestically anymore, and there is nothing overseas they can "borrow" of the same caliber.

This is just my humble opinion, but once they kill this car, there is really no reason to buy another Ford if you are looking for a large sedan.
    When its 15 degrees of less out does your marquis sound like a quiet diesel, mine sure does. 2004
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Check your oil for quantity and viscosity. Colder temperatures require a thinner oil for startup periods.

Invest in an engine block heater and plug it in overnight.
    CR reports the best rating for this year in reliability. Also, I wouldn't buy a GM if it weren't an ultimate edition. I bought mine w/o even knowing that it was an ultimate edition, until I started looking at the other GM's which were like garbage to me. I definately wouldn't buy this car w/o heated seats, steering wheel controls, wood grain everywhere, leather, digital readout, trip computer, auto-dimming mirror, heated side mirrors, handling package, aluminum wheels, which are all included in the Ultimate edition, essentially top line. The new 06-current has fake looking wood grain, where the model before looked more real, they're starting to get cheap on us, did I say starting I meant getting cheaper.
    I also think that the 2004 model year for CVs and GMs is the best: it is the second year of the revised frame/suspension setup, so the bugs will have been mostly worked out, and plus the 2005 and up do have some cheap touches, the hideous rubberized area around the ignition and the shifter being principal among them.

The wood on the 2006+ GMs is awful, you're right! The lack of a voltmeter is also gross, especially if you live with harsh Canadian winters that really tax your electrical system. I've relied on that gauge to adjust my load a number of times! And for those of us who still have tapes (laugh if you will), the replacement of the tape deck with a useless trip computer is hardly welcome.

As for needing things like heated seats, leather and woodgrain, well, you can keep those features. Guess what, without leather you don't NEED heated seats ;) ! I actually thought you were being sarcastic when you listed the numerous features that one can easily live without LOL!

The thing that really kills me is the fact that a new GM costs almost $46k Canadian! You can get top-notch, hi-powered iron for that kind of money. I love Panthers, but at that price there is simply no market for them.
    don't count on FoMoCo to give us this replacement, V-8 RWD full-size sedan. Go check out the new 2009 Chevrolet Impala that is going to become RWD with the option of 4 engines form V-6 to V-8 big block. They have pictures of it out already, the concept that is. If your looking to replace you CV or GM within the next few years I recommend to check it out.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    After many years of desiring a new american made land yacht, I am now the proud owner of GM. :)
    The predecessor to this vehicle was a 2001 Hyundai Elantra that I bought new and drove for the last 6 years. (the whole time longing for the 63 Impala or 60 Belvadere of my youth.) ;)

So after being enticed by the $7k rebate, I took the plunge and bought what my co-workers are calling a boat. :D

I've only had it for a week and so far I am glad I bought it.
    I considered buying a Chrysler 300 or an Impala but both were more expensive and the seats weren't as comfortable to me.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Will the 2009 Impala be near in size to the CV/GM???...the current model seems about the size of a Taurus...V8 engines may be nice, but I would like something with a little room, and the Taurus (Impala) does not have much room..........
    You should have received more than 7k rebate for purchasing a new 1998 GM with few little improvements in the last 10 years. :mad:
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Member Posts: 105
    I would go for a "500".Considering the size of the Grand Marquis,the back seat is inhabitable for an adult.There is no rear leg room.Front leg room is fair,it has a big trunk,that is all.
    Grand Marquis is twice the vehicle of a Five Hundred/Montego. On paper the Five Hundred sounds better, but it has no pedigree, no track record, and is a lightweight design compared to the Grand Marquis.

Trust me, after 10 years the Five Hundred will be recycled into soup cans, while the Grand Marquis will still be chugging along.

A Grand Marquis is the perfect car to buy and keep as a backup car once it hits 8-10 years old.
    I would have liked to get more than a 7k rebate but I am no longer in the mood to haggle. (I'm getting old and tired) ;)
    I drove it off the lot for $19,780 and I figure that I still paid $500 more than I could have haggled down to.
    My best friend said that only people with gray hair drive these cars. Luckily I have some gray in my sideburns so I can qualify. :P
    (I have have to cut him some slack since he hasn't even reached the big 50 yet. Kids these days!) :D
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Member Posts: 105
    I have no doubt the Gran Marquis is a very durable vehicle.Probably surpassing the 500.My problem with the GM is it is not a very comfortable car taking into consideration its large size.There are better choices.
    What other choices are you referring to?
    Do any of them cost less than $20k? :confuse:

I bought the GM because it was the most comfortable of those I looked at.

I've had a couple of spine surgeries and now I can't tolerate stiff cushioned seats. I need something like my Lazy-boy recliner in my living room. :D
    browney, no worries: tell your friend that I bought my nearly-new Crown Vic when I was 24 (I'm 27 now). I've always loved Panthers, so even though I could have had just about any car, my choice was never in doubt :).

When I was car shopping, I drove two Five Hundreds, a FWD and a 4WD model, and I was not impressed: the trunk is big and the rear seat room is huge, but a.) it feels like a truck, b.) it had no power, and c.) the pedals gave my foot cramps within 5 minutes of driving. There's just no room up front with that monster console, and the non-adjustable pedals were too close to the driver.
  • cyberwizcyberwiz Member Posts: 7
    I've been unable to find anything similar to what I'm experiencing in some quick searches through the group. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who's experienced anything like this so here goes. I'm driving a 2000 GM with 108,000kms on it.

I came out of my office for lunch the other day to find my battery completely dead. I got a bit of clicking from the starter and that's all. After a jumpstart the car started and ran just fine. At the end of the day, 4-5 hours later, the battery is dead again. A boost was all that was required to get it going. I figured the 45 minute drive home should resolve my issues but I stopped in at the parts store to have a look at replacing my battery. The guy in the store didn't seem too knowledgeable but he wheeled out a Bear electrical tester and told me that my battery and alternator were both fine and printed out a report of his findings for me. The next morning the battery was dead again.

I dismissed his findings and bought a new battery that day on my lunch break. The guy at the place I bought the battery from used a different tester and told me that I was only getting 500 Cold Cranking Amps from my 750CCA battery so I figured I had resolved it and when I left the office I had no problems at all. This morning my battery was dead again. When I got to work, I lifted off the battery and measured the current draw on the battery at around 8 Amps with the car shut off. I left the battery disconnected until I could take a look at it on my lunch break but when I came back and reconnected the battery the 8A draw was no longer present. I ran the car with A/C for about 20 minutes and when I shut off the car and disconnected the battery again, the 8A draw was back.

With the 8A draw back, I proceeded to remove each fuse on the car one at a time to see if I could diagnose where the problem was. The 8A draw stayed in place throughout the whole process.

My presumption now is that I'm facing a problem with either an alternator or a starter. I thought it would make sense to pose the question here and see if anyone else has any ideas. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might be able to offer.
  • joe110joe110 Member Posts: 19
    I owned a 1985 Grand Marquis. Bought it in 94. Best A/C I ever experienced. I sold it in 2000 and bought it back after seeing it on the side of the road in 2003. I resold it again for a new CV and hated to see it go. Great riding car, power and looks. I had to drive a 500 last year because my CV was in for routine maint. I liked the stereo system but hated the ride and the feeling of being in a front wheel drive car. I am now driving my dads 85 CV he sold me. The A/C doesnt work anymore but the motor is smooth and the interior is still good. I hardly put any money into it. It just runs.118000 miles.
    In your process of removing fuses, did you remove all of the fuses in both fuse boxes?
  • cyberwizcyberwiz Member Posts: 7
    Funny you should ask. It was my understanding that I had gone through each fuse, one by one. First in the fuse block under the hood followed by the block under the dash.

I broke down and took it into the garage this morning and they just called claiming that the keyless entry doorpad is what was causing the problem. They said that when they pulled that fuse the problem cleared. Either they're lying or I missed a fuse somehow. They're also telling me that the keyless entry shares a circuit with the fuel pump and I should allow them to apply a TSB that calls for installing an RFI filter on the fuel pump to address whining in the AM radio. The tech is thinking that RFI filter might help. Having spent years installing electronic systems at radio stations I've seen few current draw problems that were resolved by RFI filters, especially at 12VDC. I've asked them to disable the doorpad if possible and leave it alone. I'm not aware of the keyless system sharing circuitry with the fuel pump. While $280 they quoted to replace the doorpad isn't terrible, I can buy a doorpad pretty cheaply and do it myself if that's what it needs. I'm still not certain that they've found the problem.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Has anyone else had issues with the A/C compressor completely kicking off when at a stop or in park? We all know you get better A/C when going 70 mph, but a buddy of mine has a 2007 Crown Vic. All is well except for the A/C. If you are in park and have it on, you literally have fan-only. Even low-speed driving around town doesn't seem to fully engage the compressor.

If he's driving at regular highway speeds, you get a good cooling effect. Still not great, but good. The dealership claims everything is within specs, which sounds like double-talk for "it ain't right but it's gonna work just like it is right now so get used to it".

Is the A/C on that car known for running below par? He moved into a CV from a Buick Rendezvous that, if nothing else, had A/C that reminded you of the North Pole when he turned it on.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I have a 2000 police interceptor and it's missing. The plugs and wires were replaced last winter, could this be a distributor cap? Any other ideas? It has 111,300 miles on it.
    The cap is usually replaced when needed. I'd bet on the need for cleaning the Mass Air Sensor or replacing it.
    What would that entail?
  • sx4sx4 Member Posts: 1
    My '92 CV has the computerized message center with the outside temperature thermometer. It is now reading around 25 degrees F. when the outside temperature is more like 90 degrees F.

Any ideas how to fix it?
    If your outside temperature is closer to 77 F, the 25 you see is Celsius. (25X1.8+32= 77)

You may want to press something that will convert your thermometer back to Farenheit.
    Although its details aren't perfect, I just love Motor Max's 1:18th scale Crown Victoria police car. Being a modeler at heart, I decided to get one of these and do it up as a replica of my 2004.

I removed all of the police lights and filled the holes and extended the rub strip trim to be more like the civilian model. I then painted it in Light Ice Blue (with dark charcoal interior, complete with woodgrain dash trim!), and chromed all of the black trim with bare metal foil. I also cut out all of the police equipment from the trunk and made a new floor for it with a more realistic "deep pit". I couldn't do anything with the earlier-model wheelcovers, unfortunately!

I hope you all like it!

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Cool! Very nice!
  • chevyboyhbchevyboyhb Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if a Crown Vic fender will fit on a 99 Grand Marquis. Im tryna to convert it to a Marauder.
  • mrlauderdalemrlauderdale Member Posts: 7
    Hi there!
    I have a 96 Marquis here in Germany wich I bought in south Florida 2 years ago wich I love, by the way! I experienced a lot of engine knocking a couple month ago and tried several things wich I read on the internet! At first, i used super instead of unleaded, but it cured it only partly!
    Then I checked the egr hose and the egr cause so many supposed that would be it! But nothing ever changed, instead, it really lost performance over the time! Then, one day, I found one information about rotten MassAirflow Sensors! I bought a new one and suprise suprise, power again, better mpg and no knocking anymore!! Check the MAF!
    Good Luck
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    You can save yourself some money next time by just spraying the MAF sensor with either Mass Air Flow sensor cleanor by CRC or if you can't get that any electric contact cleaner will work. I do mine every 30K miles and it works like a charm.

Ron
  • mrlauderdalemrlauderdale Member Posts: 7
    Hi Ron! when I heard about the MAF Sensors-problems, I googled a lot and found a couple of infos.. including "cleaning" the sensor with electric contact cleaner. I tried that, but my MAF sensor unfortunately seemed really damaged and cleaning unfortunately didn´t help! But thanks for your reply! My next project is the brakes! Any experience with aftermarket-Brake-rotors?
    Frank
    Avoid China manufactured brake rotors. :sick:
    Mass Airflow Sensor located???...on my 2004 Crown Vic
    Hi Counselor, :)
    It is next to your air filter, between the air filter and the intake manifold. Unless you have a lot of miles on the car, it should be OK.

If you attempt to clean it y our self, be extra careful while doing so. If you plan on keeping your CV for many more miles, get a replacement.

Happy Weekend. ;)
    75,000 miles, and your description sounds like the little cheap piece of foam that was called, I believe, the "breather element", which was changed every time the air filter was changed...it only cost a dollar at the time, but it sure was filthy/greasy if not changed for a few years...is that it, only now called something hi-tech, to sound more important???...is a new one a dollar???...:):):)
    You are getting close, but as Monica said, "No Cigar?"

It's between the air filter container (box) and the intake manifold.

Parts and labor = approximately $100.00 depending on the shop.

The "breather element" that was filthy/greasy may be what I call the Air filter and that should be changed every 30,000.
    Try a new AF and that may cure your problem. If not, a MAF may be in your future. Good Luck, Euphonium :);)
    I have a '00 Crown Vic Interceptor with 112k miles. I've had the car since January when it had 109k miles on it. As you can tell, I don't drive it a whole lot, but since about May, I've had a miss or jerking in it when accelerating. It has come and gone, but recently it has gotten worse. I've had it to the garage twice and have replaced the plug boots, and only once has the check engine light came on, which was the gas cap. Since, no light, but the car is still missing. My guess is it could be the torque converter going out. Under heavy acceleration it lags and jerks lightly. Under light acceleration it jerks hard, especially when going up a hill. Any other ideas?
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    I had similar problems with my 01 Grand Marquis at 94K miles and changed the sparkplugs, which solved the problem. You can get the Bosch double platinum plugs at Walmart for $8.44 for 2 plugs and they are relatively easy to change.

Ron
  • tismyselftismyself Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a 1999 Grand Marquis, with less than 40,000 miles. Is there anything I need to look out for, or if I do buy it, is there anything I need to have done to it right away like changing the timing belt?

You all have a great forum here, people seem to really love their GM's and CV's! ;)
    Good Choice of a low mileage motorcar. Several years ago the factory had a recall for the "plastic" intake manifold which was prone to premature failure. Ford replace a lot of them with metal liners. So, check if yours has been recalled for the retrofit intake manifold.

Second, change the transmission fluid, filter, and drain the turbine. Dropping the pan will enable the tech to clean out any filings and clutch residue.

If you intend to drive this unit for many more miles and/or years, refill the tranny with Mercon V. It is a semi synthetic oil, but spendy, however worth it if you are going to retain the car.

At 40,000 check out the fuel and air filters & replace if necessary. Safe Driving to you. :)
  • dannyodouldannyodoul Member Posts: 3
    First, you are a wise and forward thinking consumer.
    Second, you will be so happy to own a car which comes closet to the Rolls Royce in classic great lines which do not change with each year's passing fashion fads.
    Third, you will be extremely comfortable in your MGM.
    Fourth, you will not be so conspicuous when pushing the redline to 90 mph.
    Fifth, people will show you great respect on the road, because you will look like a Fed or maybe a State representative and you can always park at the airport in the departure lane.

Best of luck with your almost "new" MGM.

Sincerely,
    The Legendary Danny O'Doul*
    *The leading authority on the MGM Ultra-rare Park Lane edition.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Oh, c'mon. Timing belt?