Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• swong1swong1 Member Posts: 14
    LTD86! Real easy to troubleshoot provided it's a non fuel injected car. Like the earlier post mentioned you need basically fuel, spark, and finally compression. Take one of the spark plug boot's off and insert a straightened paperclip into the boot making contact with the terminal inside the boot. Bring the exposed paperclip close to the block while someone cranks the engine over. If you see spark then proceed to have someone goose the accelerator pedal a few times (make sure the engine is off when you do this step). Look down the carb as someone stomps on the accelerator pedal. If you see fuel dripping down the car you know at least you have fuel (this rules out a clogged fuel filter!). If you don't have fuel nor smell it troubleshoot the fuel line, fuel filter, possibly fuel pump. If you have fuel injection there is not way you can troubleshoot except with both a fuel pressure gauge hooked to the schrader valve and a noid lite to the harness. Fuel injected engines though extremely reliable preclude basic troubleshooting unless you have additional tools the typical homeowner doesn't have. Once you have reached your frustration level bring the car into a good shop but be prepared to pay $40.00 per hour!
  • stevem327stevem327 Member Posts: 98
    I'm going to be leasing a new car later this year after my current lease expires, and I'm debating between a Volvo S40 and a larger car with fewer safety features, such as a Crown Victoria. I've always wanted to buy a Volvo because of their devotion to safety, but until the S40 came to the U.S., I haven't been able to afford one.

My main concern with the S40, at least in terms of safety, is the overall size of the car. It weighs only 2,800 pounds compared to a Crown Vic which weighs 4,000 pounds. The CV only has dual front airbags for safety while the S40 has side airbags, head airbags, and whiplash protection seats.

However, what seems to make the CV so safe is its enormous size. I wonder in a head-on collision between a CV and an S40, which driver would be more severely injured?

Other than the size issue, I like the S40 much better. It has FWD (better in the snow), much better gas mileage, better handling, easier to park and maneuver, more comfortable seats, more attractive styling. It's just that most safety experts say that bigger is always better. If a 4,000 pound object collides with a 2,800 pound object, the 4,000 pound object will likely come away with less damage...so they say anyway.

I know that the S40 got very good ratings from the government agencies that test car safety in Europe, but does anyone know when or if NHTSA (here in the U.S.) is going to crash test an S40?

Like I said, everything except the overall size of the S40 is telling me to buy it over the Crown Vic. Thanks a lot for any advice you guys might have.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Well, if both cars are going 40 mph, and (I'll round down the weight of the Volvo to make the math easier. It makes it sound worse for the Volvo than it reallly would be), the Crown Victoria was 4,000#, and the Volvo 2000#, the Crown Victpria would decelerate from 40 mph to 20 mph at impact, while the Volvo would go from 40 to -20 (backwards at 20 mph). It would be the equivalent of the Ford hitting a brick wall at 20 mph, and the Volvo doint the same at 60 mph. *However*, in the real world, since the volvo weighs more than half what the Ford does, and since the front ends of both cars would absorb a lot of the force, both number will be much lower, but the Volvo will still get the worst end of the deal. Seat belts and dual front airbags are the only safety features to cushin the driver in either car. The rest of the stuff the Volvo has over the Ford will only help in side (all the other airbags) or rear (anti-whiplash seats) impacts. The panels conclusion, In frontal impacts the Ford has the advantage, while in side and rear impacts, Volvo is the winner. I guess some investigation is in order to find out which kind of accident is more common, before we can tell which car is safer, but no one will accuse either car of being a deathtrap.
  • rkpaterkpate Member Posts: 1
    To JET55 and YUNSE193 - I have had 3 CV's, a 94, 96 and 99. EVERYONE one of them developed what can only be described as a "creaking" noise when making a turn or going over road bumps. Most annoying! All were company cars and turned in at 75K-85K miles, except the 99 which I bought because I left the company and with 55K miles on it the 99 was a good deal for $10K from the lease company. I needed a car so... Anyway, I went nuts going back and forth to dealers and whoever, and NOBODY admits or has an answer for the problem! Since 94 no less! I am shopping for a new car now, one thing for sure, no more CV's.
    This is a common problem in Thunderbirds of that vintage as well. The ruber bushings in your upper control arms are shot. (If you're not technical minded, it's the u-shaped piece of metal behind the tire that runs from the body to the brake assembly). Should be about $20 in parts.
  • johnbonojohnbono Member Posts: 80
    Well, first of all, both cars have a good reputation for safety. The extra airbags and whiplash protection in the volvo make up for its lack of size. That being said, however, another thing that needs to be thought about is relative insurance costs. The one BIG advantage a CV has over virtually every other car on the road is how cheap it is to repair, both mechanically and in bodywork. Because the Crown Vic is body on frame, most of the difficulties of repairing bodywork typical for today's cars doesn't apply to the CV(or the Grand Marquis, or Lincoln Town Car) Another big plus for the CV is that while size and weightwise it is in the same class as an SUV, it has the high-speed handling characteristics of a sedan, and not an SUV, meaning that to roll a Crown Vic, you really need to work at it. As far as handling vs. a Volvo goes, give a CV a decent pair of shocks, and you might be surprised at how well it does handle. The '98 up CVs handle surprisingly well given their size.
    Thanks for your input. I sort of thought the CV was safer than the S40. I even had someone in the S40 forum tell me the same thing. If I could afford a larger Volvo like the S60, it might be better (the S60 is about 3,400 pounds).

Oh, and ditto on the repair costs. The CV has been around for decades so I know that in terms of maintenance and repair, it is very economical.
    Also, if I go with a CV, I plan to get the performance and handling package, or at least put on a pair of Bilstein shocks. I've never driven anything larger than a Honda Accord, so it will be a big adjustment going to a CV. I'm planning to rent one for a weekend in a few more months just to make sure I'm okay with the size and handling.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice.
    Even with the HPP, get the bilsteins, and the HPP version is a much faster car than the one you'll rent.
    Yes, I believe there's an increase in horsepower in the 2001 CV's. I won't be buying one until late summer/early fall which is a shame, because my local dealer has a fully loaded LX marked all the way down to $23K from $28K (although it's a 2000 model).

Oh well, I'm sure they'll have great deals on 2001 CV's at the end of this year. Plus, isn't the CV going to be redesigned starting with the 2002 model? That's what I've been hearing anyway. It will be interesting to see what changes they make... maybe side air bags? new exterior design?

Thanks again for the input.
  • deltawhip1deltawhip1 Member Posts: 8
    in getting a new crown vic, do not forget about the mercury marauder coming out next year! or if that is too much performance for y'all, which is not a bad thing by the way :-), there's also the sport CV version coming out sometime shortly. i'd opt for the merc myself just because it'll be an impala ss, bmw, mercedes, lexus, etc. eating machine! and for about 28k at that!

peace out, homies
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Speculation is the price will easily over $30k. Take the CV Sport Version and add for the DOHC engine, wheels, and the special model status. CV Sport Version is only available on the LX, at least initially, I believe.
  • lauraleannelauraleanne Member Posts: 1
    When is the cv sport coming out and what will the horsepower be? I want to trade my 1996 Impala SS on a CV but my husband doesnt want to give up the horsepower.
  • bdavis8bdavis8 Member Posts: 12
    Your husband is right about the horsepower. The cv sport is from what I have read will still have about 235 or 240 hp. But the 2002 mercury marauder might be one to consider with a 300 hp 32 valve motor. Mercury has stated they will produce this well needed family/sports car. The only problem will be getting one. I'm sure they will sell fast. I know if I can get my hands on one my 2000 CV with the performance and handling package will be history, even though I love this car.
  • thekozman1thekozman1 Member Posts: 10
    Wow, theres something strange. I test drove a 1999 NEW & untitled dark green CV w/ leather & ABS today. I too made an offer, the sounds of your deal maybe I should re offer. Anyways, pretty bizare that there appear to be so many 1999 new CV out in the dealers lots. I guess it cant be that bad. It has a warranty and I am getting a brand new battery and oil change?
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    I just took delivery of a 2001 Gran Marquis last Thursday and it has Electronic Instrumentation which I didn't particularly want. It was part of an Ultimate Package which contained other items I did want. On Sunday the electronic instrumentation went totally blank several times while I was driving; irevived it by turning the light switch off and on several times. It is at the dealership now, where I was luckily able to duplicate the problem for the service personnel. I am new to this forum and was wondering if this problem has been discussed before and is common. I was also wondering if anyone knows of any websites where there info is posted about the 4.6 Litre engine,
  • 95mercury195mercury1 Member Posts: 1
    Ron35, I have a 95 Grand Marquis LS with digital everything. The car has 48,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem with any of it. I love it, many do not. No bulbs to burn out, tells me how much gas I am using and how far I have left to go. Plus a bunch of other things. I have the same dash as you, and probably the same instrument cluster. It sounds like the factory may have just forgot to tighten down a ground wire. I had a 86 Towncar before the GM all digital also, pretty much the same setup. I had it till 136,000 were on the clock and never had a problem with anything digital on it either. Bare with the dealership, and when they correct the problem you will LOVE the car. This is where you need to be looking and posting any problems for excellent help--- www.crownvic.net ---The Crown Victoria is the same car only the GM is fancier, both are discussed in the above link. Good Luck
    I would like to get a K&N Airfilter for my new GM LS however, the accessory pages that I keep bringing up do not have a listing for a 2001. I know the 4.6 has been around for a while, has the airbox changed at all. I am wondering if the listing for a 98 or 99 GM will work for my 2001. Can anybody shed any light on this subject.

Ron 35
    For any CV that doesn't have a blower, a K&N is pretty much snake oil. Your money is better spent cutting your airbox to remove any restrictions, putting in a pro-m MAF and either using the optimiser or getting a custom chip burned. If you check on www.crownvic.net you will get some more info, but it is pretty well accepted that a k&n WON'T give you much of a performance boost, and has some drawbacks(maintenance, and less effective filtration)
  • scattershieldscattershield Member Posts: 11
    I was 1 minute from finishing this post. AOL logged me out. Unhappy I am. Anyway....

I was down to three cars. Concorde, Solara, GM.

The Concorde is as loud as..well..the Concorde. The 5 star Chrsyler service is short by 4.5 stars. Their postings here at Edmunds amaze me for the amount of various problems they encounter.

The Solara is sooo comfortable. Their postings mostly concern Solara versus Accord. The quality is certainlt there. The ride is supreme too. I just wouldn't want one in my New England winters or in "the worst case scenerio" A bad crash.

Your postings on CV and GM are great. Change that tranny fluid, grease that steering rack, find find find that sqeak under the hood. They are minimal compared to the flawed Sable I have. Vastly flawed.

I'm holding out 'till September. In Boston, the Sunday paper offers GM at $ 19,995, base GS. But I want 2.9% for 48 months. I'm sure I can't get them both. We'll see how close I come when the new models come out. I shop for a 2001 then. The GM pushes my payment plans slightly over the edge, I'm keeping the 5th year in my pocket..for now. But if you current owners are any indication I will be completely satisfied even if payments are 5 years.

Thanks for all your postings and I'll let you know what I find. Now if I can only get that handling pak and a comfortable seat I'll be smiling for the full 5 years.
    Ron,
    No one addressed your issues on the 4.6 engine, so I'll tackle it as best I can.
    The engine has only 2 main problems. First, the intake manifolds are plastic and tend to crack after 2-3 years, requiring replacement. Ford has a recall that pays for this. Also, a newer intake desing has come out that's not *supposed* to crack. I haven't heard how well it works.
    The second problem is in the valve seats. They're soft metal, and tend to get way too worn, and after about 100,000 miles, you'll develop an oil consumption problem. So long as you add about a quart every 1000 miles, you shouldn't be too concerned with this though. Other than that, it's a great little engine. Also, there's a thunderbird club website that has a lot of info on the 4.6, www.tccoa.com Yeah, the car's different, but the engine and transmission are pretty much the same, so if you can wade through all the HP mods, 3.8SC engines, an 1/4 mile times, there's some good stuff there. Good luck with the car

rea98d
    1978 Grand Marquis
    1995 T-Bird
    The valve stem seal problem is really only an issue with the early 4.6 engines. Later models don't seem to have the problems the early model 4.6 motors have.
    Well, mine's a 95, which, is a fairly early model. I'm glad to hear they corrected *something* on that engine! If they really do have the intake issue corrected (we've covered that one to death!), then the 4.6 is a great motor.
    The oil called for on my new Gran Marquis is 5W-20. I think this weight is called for just to try to gain the last bit of the claimed miles per gallon. I can't help but think that 5W-30 would do almost as well with better protection. When did Ford start recommending 5W-20?

Ron
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    good question, my Vic's so old it recomends 10W30... up untill now I'd only heard of the Escape & Focus using 5W20...
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I go to Wal-Mart and they have 5W-30, 5W-50 (synthetic), 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50, 15W-50 (synthetic), and 15W-40 (diesel). Where do you get 5W-20? And for that matter, what happened to 20W-20? That's what's recommended for my Colt Vista.
    The question I raised concerning the 5W -20 oil recommended for my new Gran Marquis has me wondering if this isn't a Ford gimmick to make money. I have now been to several auto stores and I can't find 5W-20 any where. But it is available at my dealership; wonder how my warranty will be affected if I use 5W-30.

Ron35
    I have a sneaking suspicicion that might be a typo. I know for my '95, which has pretty much the same motor as the '01, it calls for 5w30. I would check with yo0r dealership as to the grade of oil, or check with ford directly. The reason why thinner grades of oil are used in the ford 4.6 engines is that the passages that flow the oil are smaller, so a thinner oil is needed to lubricate. Unless your car is blowing smoke it is not a good idea to use a heavy grade of oil. The 4.6 is a pretty bulletproof motor as long as you use the right oil.
    I recently aquired a 1999 CV and it has the stock Radio in it. I am getting terrible reception on the AM stations and I am wondering if it is the radio or the rear window/antenna. Does anyone else out there have similiar reception issues or ideas?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    My new Pontiac Bonneville has the window diversity antenna - I realize it may be different from yours but situation may not be so different. The FM band cuts out to complete static when the rear defroster is engaged. Dealer determined that the defroster grid is faulty (I mentioned that it does not clear properly) and this causes interference in the radio. They are replacing the rear window under warranty. This appears to be fairly common in Gen Motors land.

Good luck with your situation.

Ken
  • tim5431tim5431 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '92 GM that has a keypad and a remote keyless entry system. Does anyone know how to program a new Mercury/Ford remote that I found in the glovebox. It came w/ the car when I bought it but doesn't work. Any help on programming would be great!
    Try your owners manuall, it will tell you how to program a keyless entry unit. If you do not have a manuall, go to : http://www.qualitycareservice.com/

then select your service ( middle choice ) create a user name & password and go into the site. From there select glovebox and you can download a manuall for your vehicle. Good luck
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    indicates he is talking about a remote garage door opener transmitter. I've not heard of a key pad for opening doors mounted in the glove box. If I'm correct, a visit to a garage door installer is in order.
  • samuelgsamuelg Member Posts: 36
    I wrote a few months ago with my saga of misaligned steering wheel & driver seat. I guess nobody seems to mind this weird problem, but it drives me crazy. After 4 1/2 months and 4500 miles, I'm still not comfortable in this car. I was able to slot the round mounting holes in the seat & shift the seat around 1/2" to reduce the offset. It's still around 1/2" off. The gas & brake pedals are also offset.

While I hated my '93 Sable blown head gasket, I loved the comfortable seats & layout of that car.

So to all you 2000-2001 owners, is this something you don't notice, or do you just not care?

I agree that this car is fine mechanically, but I have never gotten comfortable in it. I'm basically miserable with it & the only joy I get is when I consider selling it. When the financial pain is overtaken by my physical discomfort, I'm outta here.

Sam
  • dmersdmers Member Posts: 23
    To ron35

On our 2000 GM w/ Ultimate Package, we had our Electronic Dash go out as well as the AC/ power locks, Radio, etc. Something kept causing the fuses to blow. We took it to our dealer twice to solve the problem. It seems the Garage Door opener in the sun visor had a short going through the visor turrent. Ford evidently made the hole too small for the wires to pass through. This was found out by our dealer through a service bullentin via the internet. There were 3 other known cases at the time__July '00.
    All is well now. We thought the installed Moon roof was the culprit, but it wasn't. Good Luck
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    5w-20 must be a typo, I owned a 95 GM and now a 2000 GM and both owners manuel specs call for 5w-30.
    I has my first long drive in my new CV this last weekend and also noticed the offset steering column/seat. It was a little frustrating and I went to the dealer to see if all CV's are like this and sure enough they are. It was a little frustrating at first, I think because I am a perfectionist but, I am sure that there is a reason for it. Maybe it has to do witht the airbag deployment or something. I just cant imagine that some engineer designed it to be offset for no reason. Anyways I got such a great deal on the vehicle that I cant let it frustrate me. I traded in a 1998 Olds Aurora for this CV and I gotta tell you, an extra 15-20 K for a perfectly straight steering column is not worth it in my book. The CV drives much better.
    I originally asked the question about the 5W-20 oil required in my 2001 Gran Marquis. I have received a response back from Castrol who advised that all 2001 Ford and Honda products are requiring 5W-20 oil. I did not find it at my local Trak Auto but I did find it available from my local NAPA outlet, who had just received it under the Valvoline brand and Pep Boys who has it as Pennzoil. Castrol also advised that they were working on a synthetic version which should be available soon. Took my new Gran Marquis on its maiden voyage this weekend and it really surprised me by averaging 27.5 mpg (all highway driving); sure hope that keeps up.
  • samuelgsamuelg Member Posts: 36
    Rick,

I had many discussions with the dealer & Ford Corp about the offset seat. You're right- they claim it's a safety feature. But I think that's bunk. I have two theories:

1. The car chassis layout is ancient, probably when bench seats were used. When split seats came into vogue, they were aligned- I checked older models. But the newer seats are not in line. My bet is that some seat designer paid more attention to the mounting details & neglected the ergonomic details until it was too last in he development/design cycle to change.

2. Or, the seats WERE in line, but crash test results shows some higher safety margin with the seat scooched over to the right 1-2 inches. So they moved it over and ignored the other driver ergonomic details. This was probably done by their 3.8L V6 head gasket designer.

Of course, these are only me personal theories. Ford never got into specific explanations. The sales Manager was very familiar with the situation, and readily acknowledged it when I called two weeks after I bought the car and told him of my "discovery". If this were really a safety feature, you'd think they'd brag about it & implement it across all their cars. Ha.

I'm willing to admit that buying this car was a mistake for me.... just wish I read these words before I bought the car.... Hopefully someone will benefit from my experience.

SamG
  • ford551ford551 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a new Crown Vic and noticed too that it calls for 5W 20 oil. This can't be a typo because it says so in the owners manual AND on the oil filler cap too! I've been using Mobil 1 5W 30 religiously in all of my other Ford vehicles and I'll put it in my new CV until Mobil 1 comes out with 5W 20 (I hope they do) I hope the 5W 30 will be okay in the meantime.
  • jnagle1jnagle1 Member Posts: 1
    It looks like johnbono was correct regarding the reason for FMC recommending this oil for the 4.6 V8. While I am no longer as quick to be the shade tree mechanic I once was, I still do not like the idea of having to take a car to the dealer for an oil change. Here is the good news however, Quaker State/Penzoil will be offering 5W-20 at Jiffy Lubes and retail shelves. As to warranty compliance, Keep those reciepts! http://www.pennzoil-quakerstate.com/indx_pqs/about/products/pr2000-10-31d.htm
  • dwight53dwight53 Member Posts: 19
    Just sold my cv and bot '99 Lexus LS 400. I miss the cv.
  • jeepcmndojeepcmndo Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, new to this board and have read the first 300 or so posts, and I have a headache...

Have a couple questions regarding the 94 CV. I am buying one next month for $1450, it has 140,000 miles, has new f & r brake pads and rotors. It does run very smooth, no tranny problems. It needs a new hood, grille, battery, tune-up, a couple of small trim peices, and a paint job. Do you think it's a good deal?

Is there an easy way of checking if it's an "authentic" police model? It has the cutout for the spotlight, has the hole in the lower dash for the ignition override, and the pillars between doors look like a partition may have been there in the past. Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance!
    If it's an authentic police interceptor, it should have P71 in the vin number.
  • andrew47andrew47 Member Posts: 14
    Okay guys. I'm new here, and I'm not a car expert. It seems that this problem with the offset seat would definitely drive me nuts, so can you tell me when this problem started? I hope not as late as the '98 model, since the re-design, which I like, took place then, and I am seriously considering buying one in this year. Your help on how to avoid this problem--whether it's buy sticking to a certain year, or whatever, would be very much appreciated. You can post your answer or mail me at [email protected].
    I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but you guys who are into the CV Police Interceptor might want to read the current issue of Popular Mechanics. They have evaluated a production CV with the P&H package against a new CV PI provided by Ford. Their conclusion is that both are basically the same with some of the evaluation factors actually higher for commercial version rather than the PI. The article is interesting and worth a look.

Ron35
  • andrew47andrew47 Member Posts: 14
    Samuelg, it seems you put some genuine energy into getting to the bottom of this problem, but did you ever find out when it started? This may have a major impact on my decision to purchase a CV. Also, did selecting bucket seats affect this problem at all? (actually, I happily invite anyone with an answer on this to kindly respond). Thanks for the help.
  • slinger31slinger31 Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 2001 GM in August and found out the virbration was not tire balance. The dealer has exhausted all their tests for this problem and have NO FIX. All 4.6 engines in GM & Town Cars that I tried have the same problem. At least 30 Vehicles were tested. My advise is stay away from the 4.6 until Ford corrects this. I have not been able to see a Ford Rep, waiting since 12/18/2000. This imbalance was diagnosed by the #1 repair shop in the Orlando Florida area.
    I've never seen that. I've driven a number of CVs and GMs and have experienced no vibration of any sort.
  • dayton2dayton2 Member Posts: 5
    Alleluia! Someone else has finally noticed the vibration I described earlier. Every little bump hitting the front wheels is felt right through to the steering wheel. Dealers and Ford have said this is a characteristic of Grand Marquis. I don't buy it. Is that where you think it's coming from ; the larger engine?
    I, like samuelg, am so bothered by this little flaw that I am not enjoying my new car. Only 3600 miles on it. And I was always a big fan of Crown Vic and Grand Marquis. No wonder I didn't notice it when I test drove a 2000 model. I was thinking I should have spent the extra money for the handling package.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Anyone here have this package? I can't say I've see this one before

5-Passenger Sport Appearance Package $995.00
    - 3.27 Axle Ratio
    - Revised Springs, Shocks and Stabilizer Bar
    - Four 17" Cast Aluminum 5 Spoke Wheels
    - Rear Air Suspension
    - Dual Exhaust
    - 5 Passenger Seating Configuration With Center Console which includes a Large Storage Bin with Padded Armrest, Concealed Power Point, Dual Cup Holders and Center Stack Mini-Storage Bin. Also includes a Rear Armrest with Dual Cup Holders
    - Floor Shifter with Leather-Wrapped Shifter Handle and O/D Lockout Button
    - Monochromatic Exterior, at no Additional Charge, When Ordered in Toreador Red, Black Clearcoat, Deep Wedgewood Blue or Silver Frost. All Other Colors are not Monochromatic.
    - P235/55R17X17 BSW Goodyear Eagle LS Tires

Sounds like a nice package.