Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

Comments

• debchuckdebchuck Member Posts: 17
    I am not surprised at the diagnosis. I recently bought an '07 Odyssey and the navigation system won't correctly move me from one town to the next. Honda is looking into it and has maintained fairly consistent contact with me, but everybody knows the disc is not the problem. I don't think they have decided what to do, but I also believe the price you were quoted is way out of line. I've said from the start that there are much better systems and that Honda apparently got sold a huge bill of goods on the Alpine model. Even if map updates were the problem... how can anyone justify this system not being correct when there are $200 systems out there that are failproof?

I feel for you, man! And, I do agree with what semenzato said. There should and must be components to be replaced instead of the entire unit. You apparently being outside of warranty need to definitely worry about the cost. I hope things work out for you!

I am not surprised, however, at the price you were quoted. When you look at a replacement disc costing almost $200, it's easy to see how the components can carry such a hefty tag on them. That is exactly why I said that Honda must have been sold a bill of goods on this thing. For its price, Honda or somebody should provide lifetime disc updates and the original system should definitely have included information going back a couple of hundred years. By that, I mean why does an address of nearly 200 years old need to be "updated" in the first place. It's a given... it's been there a long time... ANY system ought to have that kind of address in its first release if there was any kind of map information gathered and programmed.
  • scampmanscampman Member Posts: 1
    When it is cold my navigation screen is dim for the first several minutes. I have a 2002 Odyssey. If it is really cold, you cannot even see the screen for about 5 minutes, until it warms up. Has anyone had this problem, and is there a solution?
  • madferit73madferit73 Member Posts: 1
    I have v2.05a for my 2003 van and its way out of date. I don't feel the need (or have the cash) to get the latest from Alpine (which I think is v2.5).

Does anyone have v2.2 or v2.3 or something "in the middle" to sell? Or know an aftermarket resale outlet (besides Ebay).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brendan
  • donalduckdonalduck Member Posts: 16
    I have an 07 Odyssey but I just cannot find the place I wanted to go with the GPS that comes with it. I need some advice. Here is an example. If I am driving from SD to LA, and I need to find a walmart or vons (a supermarket) nearby, how do I do that? Thanks.
    I have an 07 Odyssey but I just cannot find the place I wanted to go with the GPS that comes with it. I need some advice. Here is an example. If I am driving from SD to LA, and I need to find a walmart or vons (a supermarket) nearby, how do I do that? Thanks.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Voice recognition command: see Navi manual starting on pg 123
    Find nearest: (find the nearest selection)
    Find nearest shopping
    Find nearest mall
    Find nearest grocery store

It's hard to tell the specific store names from SD to LA.
    I'm sure you will hit Walmart from the repeated commands.
  • supert8chsupert8ch Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2002 Honda Od and looking for manual and any info on this unit. It is a BN410AC from what I can read on it. Any help Please?????
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Your navi unit can have a manual. It's available at helminc.com you have to go to the owners section. Fill out your model and you can find it. Only 29.00 USD. There is also an update at www.hondanavi.com as well. Adds new maps. Hope this helps.
    For those who want 4.62 but cant will be relieved to know that 4.70 is coming out. This version fixes the reliability issues with 4.62. Coming out soon. Possibly by Late Jan/Early Feb. Available at www.hondanavi.com/.
  • larryh3larryh3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever come up with a solution.
  • nine0bisonnine0bison Member Posts: 1
    Just recently I've been having problems with my navigation responding. It seems like it takes 30 seconds to a minute to respond to any keystroke. Yesterday, after 5 minutes of just trying to type in an address, it did not find my destination. Any ideas?
  • user_1999user_1999 Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    I have 2008 Honda odyssey touring. Anyone knows if it has a removable Navigation DVD?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Yes, the Nav DVD unit is under the drivers seat. I'm sure you have the most up-to-date dvd though and I've not removed (or looked) at mine in 3 years. I guess I just assume it's there:)
  • prock80prock80 Member Posts: 1
    From that web site for the 2007 Honda Pilot:

The fall 4.62 DVD release is currently available to dealers for 2008 vehicles only. Please call 888-291-4675 to order.

Orders only from dealers will be accepted at this time.

I don't think I want to purchase a fall release that was out of date the day after it was burned. It is now spring. I must assume that this update is the classic case of vapour ware. A Tomtom cost less than this update and can be updated daily for free through Map Share.

The roads have changed so much in our nearby metropolitan areas that I need an update! Perhaps I will get a TomTom. At least the screen in my dash can be used to tune the radio. :confuse:
  • emmeffemmeff Member Posts: 3
    I absolutely cannot believe that Alpine wants $310 (Canadian) for the updated discs.

I find the built-in navi to be a godsend, but I'm going to have to think twice about upgrading at that cost, especially if it's not really current.
  • cuongcuong Member Posts: 45
    Yes, one feature I like to update is to add the street name at the intersection....or at least you can see the name on the screen. Most of the time i have to scroll the map to the left or right to find out what street I am approaching.

One nicest thing about the Odyssey GPS is that it has the big screen compare to other cars.
  • busiribusiri Member Posts: 1
    I have a honda navigation system which you can see on this web sight http://world.honda.com/news/1997/4970801.html
    i need the wiring diagram for it so i connect it to any other car
  • ajc1962ajc1962 Member Posts: 1
    I will be going on a trip to New Foundland, Canada in the summer. Does the GPS in my vehicle work in Canada?

Thanks,

aj
  • dumpliingsdumpliings Member Posts: 1
    where can i find a pin # for a honda odessey navigation?
    my navigation is locked and the dealers gave me a pin #
    that doesnt work so i was wondering if anyone can help me out.
    thanks
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Reportedly, the American versions have map coverage that extends about 100 miles into Canada.

It would be best to take some good paper maps.
  • devu4usadevu4usa Member Posts: 3
    what is your car model number. let me know i might help you with this code number. i have 2001 Honda Odyssey code.
    I have Honda 2001 Oddyssey, and i need to update the Navigation for this car. so can anyone please help me to Upgrade this Navigation.
    Go to www.hondanavi.com/. There you can just select the year and the model of car. Then it gets you the disc that works for your car. You need version 2.50. Upgrading is quite easy.
    Well I think they screwed up big time. 4.62 was having problems so they made another batch of 4.62 which delayed and it caused problems. Hopefully in the fall there will be a new nav disc. Lets just say alpine messed up.
  • monicaellis1monicaellis1 Member Posts: 1
    Responding to Message # 728 of 841

I have had the same problem, DVD DISC READING ERROR CONSULT YOUR DEALER, with my navigation system. The Honda dealer in College Park, MD refuses to replace the disc even though I have taken my van in several times for this problem. They will not order a new disk and give it to me.

Honda Corporate office has been contacted. They have documented that they will reimburse me the price of a new navigation disc once I purchase it. However, it appears from reading various messages that the new disc will not be available until Fall 2008. This does not help me since my family will be traveling in July. I hope that once the disc is available Honda Corporate office will reimburse me.

How did your Honda dealer and/or Honda Corporate office solve your problem with the navigation system?
    Try another dealer to get the new disc. The 4.62's that the dealers can order apparently have been fixed.
    Hey sup ??

I bought Honda Odyssey used 2001 model, and it came with navigation system and so it means that navigation has OLD system in it that is why i want to upgrade that. If you want you can help me with that problem, when you get your New DVD version for your car can you make me a COPY and send it to me I will pay you for that, and i will be Appreciate for that if you can Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
  • dlduncan1dlduncan1 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently moved to Okinawa, Japan and purchased a used 1996 Honda Odyssey with the Honda Navigation System. Problem is everything is in Japanese. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade DVD for this year/model system that would show Japanese maps in English?

Dunc. :shades:
  • jaw407jaw407 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a EXL w/navigation. The map does not show several restaurants that have been in town for years. How can I tell if I have the most current map and is there and update map I can download?
    I can tell you that the lack of a restaurant listing or other stuff is something you'll just have to get used to -- especially if you live in certain areas of the country which the owner's manual says has been serviced by updated maps, but which have NOT! I've been sick of my navigation system since purchasing an '07 EXL.

But, I am learning there are ways around Honda's outdated, cumbersome, irresponsible methods. It just takes time to get in there and navigate the system and make it perform as you want -- maybe by listing something close to the restaurant, for example -- although that is really not the way the thing ought to work. It doesn't always work, but the first try needs to be followed by another and another. And, ALL will never work no matter what Honda or Alpine tells you.

I have a rather cheap QVC unit that runs circles around Honda's any day, anywhere, for any reason. But I am learning there are ways to get around Honda's poor choice for navigation units.

Now to answer your question more specifically... your van no doubt has the most recent DVD update available from Alpine. If and when another one comes out, you will learn that it is your responsibility to buy it. In short. you buy the van... then you buy an update system for the navigation system that was supposed to be fully functional and up-to-date when you bought the van. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Your map DVD unit is under the driver's seat. You can remove the disc by following the owner's manual directions and read the update number on the label. Then, call Honda and ask what the latest version is. You'll already have it, I am almost certain. I do not even know if a 2008 update is available yet to dealers. They tend to avoid you once you start filing navigation system complaints!! Even the national office seems to disappear and does not want to contact you.

From what I've learned, it's a fact you have to go through the dealer to get any new update disc and it's your cost! Even then, there's no ironclad guarantee it will have the latest info that you need for where you live.

But, I would suggest reading your manual very closely and then monkeying with the system, asking what is the longest series of steps you think could ever be taken, take them, and you'll soon find more than you could originally. Not always. But, some of the time. Good luck!!
  • jaw407jaw407 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info..... I have a Tom Tom that I love but it gets to be a pain transferring it between three different vehicles which is why I purchased the EXL w/navigation. I've been playing with it and it is by far way behind last years map on my Tom Tom. I'm getting ready to drive from FL to PA and I hope it holds up. I think I'll pack the Tom Tom just in case. Thanks again,
    I, too, have a portable navigation system from Cobra. As I said, it runs circles around the Honda anywhere anytime. We just returned from Nashville over Memorial Day weekend, and I used both systems with identical entries. The Cobra spoke up way faster than the Honda, but the Honda did give correct information around the big city. It's in rural areas that Honda acts like nobody lives or travels!!

I'd strongly suggest you take the Tom Tom with you for a safety net. I won't trust my Honda over the Cobra anywhere although the Honda does a decent job in large metropolitan areas. It acts no one lives outside the city limits! To be sure you arrive where you want, my advice is to take Tom Tom, program the Honda and compare the two. You'll see that the Honda gets you there if you're going somewhere popular and large. If not, the Tom Tom will take over and you'll still get there!
    I keep my portable nav with me as well. What's scary is that the Honda system is one of the better OEM systems...!! It has very few POI's compared to even my previous (7yo) Garmin....Believe it or not the Lexus system in my wife's is complete garbage. She doesn't even use it and has a $150 Garmin Nuvi that she uses. I'll probably never buy an OEM nav again, even with the integrations and nice big screen. Maybe if they drop the price to around $300 but we paid close to $2,000....oh well good thing I'm a gadget guy or I'd be really peeved!
  • changeliveschangelives Member Posts: 2
    There is a guy on ebay with a near perfect rating selling navi 4.62 update discs for $130. I have a 2006 Odyssey - do you think it is worth trying it? Can the wrong disc really blow the whole system like they say on the hondanavi.com site?
    From what I've seen of the newest disk, it's not THAT much better. I sat in a new Ody at the dealership while ours was getting serviced and was looking up POI's and there was still a ton of missing restaurants and even a road that's been on the books for five years.......this was an '08 Ody about a month ago. I'm not paying them beans until I at least know there's 50% of what a $150 Garmin has....
  • dabears2005dabears2005 Member Posts: 3
    1. Can't find my navigation owner's manual, but I do know my pin #.
    2. Upgraded the Navigation DVD in 2005 Odyssey Touring from 4.56 to 4.62.
    3. Having problems and want to go back.
    4. Like my PC, I reformat and start over b/c it is quicker, cleaner and I am dumb!

Question 1: Has any one succeeded at restoring their old versions?
    Question 2: Can someone please write a clear concise step-by-step guide? a new version but am experiencing problems.

I've searched and seen this question several times, but someone has yet to address it, please help.
    1. Can't find my navigation owner's manual, but I do know my pin #.
    2. Upgraded the Navigation DVD in 2005 Odyssey Touring from 4.56 to 4.62.
    3. Having problems and want to go back.
    4. Like my PC, I reformat and start over b/c it is quicker, cleaner and I am dumb!

Question 1: Has any one succeeded at restoring their old versions?
    Question 2: Can someone please write a clear concise step-by-step guide? a new version but am experiencing problems.

I've searched and seen this question several times, but someone has yet to address it, please help.
  • romsroms Member Posts: 3
    hi
    did u have any luck converting from japanese to english? I have searched many forums/sites and I have been told it is not possible. I have been able to pair my phone to use the bluetooth function but voice recognition seems to require japanese worgs. If u find anything please let me know
    thanks
  • romsroms Member Posts: 3
    hello
    I bought a honda crv from japan and I need to find a way to convert the japanese in the navigation system to english. i do not need the maps since i live in the caribbean and have no GPS service. I would like to be able to use the voice activated commands for the phone and audio system.
    Thanks
    Well Guicide has a guide.

Press Map Menu and Cancel at once but you load the 4.56 disc. Then you get into a diagnostic menu. Press version and make sure the 4.56 disc is in there. Then you press download and it will downgrade the unit.
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    What kind of problems are you having? We, too, have a 2005 and I've wondered about upgrading nav DVD, but I have seen a few posts about problems. Not sure what they are or, more importantly, why they are happening. Thanks.
  • riker0007riker0007 Member Posts: 1
    Updated the navi dvd that came with it to the new 4.62 one and it downloaded fine but when it reboots, it stays stuck on the "In Line diag" screen says its "detecting" and wont the screen wont work after entering my code. It beeps every once in a while really loud. I can go to the system menu screen by pressing and holding. I tried to re install the old disc and it does the same thing. Anyone know whats up?
    Thanks
    Rock
  • kjhall55kjhall55 Member Posts: 1
    I ran into this too, and it took me a LONG time to figure out what was going on.

It's trying to test the voice command system. There are two "lights" on the screen that are still white. Press the "voice" button on the steering wheel, and the first one will turn green, then make some noise. The little bar graph should register the sound. Then press the "back" button on the steering wheel. If everything is working properly, this should complete the test.

I suppose the service techs know this. I found the answer by accident.
  • jay33670jay33670 Member Posts: 1
    I have Honda Odyssey (1995) with navigator in japanese language, is possible to convert it to english language? I want a contact of who can be of help please. Thanks
    Here’s an exhaustive collection from all over the net in various forums. Hope this helps someone, it sure did for us!

METHOD #1:
    Load your original disc into the player
    Turn on the car
    Press the "Map Menu" and the "Cancel" buttons at the same time and do not release.
    Only release after the system reboots and you see a diagnostic menu of some kind on the screen.
    You should see somewhere on the screen a "Version" button.
    Press the version button that lists your old version (printed on the disc)
    Then press "Download" and it should re-install your old version.

METHOD #2:
    Load your original disc into the player
    Turn on the car
    Press the "Map Menu" and the "Cancel" buttons at the same time then release.
    This should take you into a diagnostic menu of some sort on the screen.

METHOD #3:
    Turn on the car
    Press the "Map Menu" and the "Cancel" buttons at the same time
    Then load your original disc into the player
    This should take you into a diagnostic menu of some sort on the screen.
    If this does not work, wait until you receive Version 4.63 which I have purchased already.

METHOD #4:
    There are two "lights" on the screen that are still white.
    Press the "voice" button on the steering wheel, and the first one will turn green, then make some noise.
    The little bar graph should register the sound. Then press the "back" button on the steering wheel.
    If everything is working properly, this should complete the test.

COMBINATION OF METHODS & OTHERS:
    Attempt a variety of these methods together.
    Try unhooking your battery or GPS fuse or plugs on the back of the unit.
    What finally did it for my dad was getting 4.63 (the newest version) on eBay for around $115 and doing Method #1.
    Finally, I recommend doing all of these BEFORE you take it to the dealership for help! Alpine makes this unit (not Honda and the service department had never heard of this problem at the dealership last week during a regular service. This info was volunteered but they had never heard (which scares me that they would have tried reordering a disc, replacing the drive, all kinds of stuff). They didn’t even have a service bulletin on it, now they do, MINE! And they’ll charge $50 an hour for it!

This is my final post, I won’t be checking this board, so good luck and God bless!
  • fatherdfatherd Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just a note of thanks for taking to time to post. I'm sure you saved me hours of research to solve this. With your post I found the answer in 10 min. I just love the net.

Thanks again,
  • richarddaviesricharddavies Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I too, like the previous poster, wish to say THANK YOU!

I upgraded my navigation to 4.62 last night and thought I'd screwed it up and would be stuck with "in line diag" screen forever unless I wanted to pay the dealership $100 to fix it. Luckily, a quick Google search brought me here and I had the "magic" solution in a couple of minutes. Sometimes I hate computers... but last night I was loving them and the Internet!
  • tennerctennerc Member Posts: 6
    2 things The best is to get a hand held unit for $300.
    or Garmin sells a replacement unit for the disk unit.
    I don't know of anyone who has done that or how well it works.
    The cost was about $600.
  • tennerctennerc Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone replaced the honda Nav sys with the Garmin unit?
    Garmin makes a replacement dvd unit that you just plug in to the existing cable
    for $600.