Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

Comments

• rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Well Guicide has a guide.

Press Map Menu and Cancel at once but you load the 4.56 disc. Then you get into a diagnostic menu. Press version and make sure the 4.56 disc is in there. Then you press download and it will downgrade the unit.
  • denver5357denver5357 Posts: 319
    What kind of problems are you having? We, too, have a 2005 and I've wondered about upgrading nav DVD, but I have seen a few posts about problems. Not sure what they are or, more importantly, why they are happening. Thanks.
  • riker0007riker0007 Posts: 1
    Updated the navi dvd that came with it to the new 4.62 one and it downloaded fine but when it reboots, it stays stuck on the "In Line diag" screen says its "detecting" and wont the screen wont work after entering my code. It beeps every once in a while really loud. I can go to the system menu screen by pressing and holding. I tried to re install the old disc and it does the same thing. Anyone know whats up?
    Thanks
    Rock
  • kjhall55kjhall55 Posts: 1
    I ran into this too, and it took me a LONG time to figure out what was going on.

It's trying to test the voice command system. There are two "lights" on the screen that are still white. Press the "voice" button on the steering wheel, and the first one will turn green, then make some noise. The little bar graph should register the sound. Then press the "back" button on the steering wheel. If everything is working properly, this should complete the test.

I suppose the service techs know this. I found the answer by accident.
  • jay33670jay33670 Posts: 1
    I have Honda Odyssey (1995) with navigator in japanese language, is possible to convert it to english language? I want a contact of who can be of help please. Thanks
  • Here’s an exhaustive collection from all over the net in various forums. Hope this helps someone, it sure did for us!

METHOD #1:
    Load your original disc into the player
    Turn on the car
    Press the "Map Menu" and the "Cancel" buttons at the same time and do not release.
    Only release after the system reboots and you see a diagnostic menu of some kind on the screen.
    You should see somewhere on the screen a "Version" button.
    Press the version button that lists your old version (printed on the disc)
    Then press "Download" and it should re-install your old version.

METHOD #2:
    Load your original disc into the player
    Turn on the car
    Press the "Map Menu" and the "Cancel" buttons at the same time then release.
    This should take you into a diagnostic menu of some sort on the screen.

METHOD #3:
    Turn on the car
    Press the "Map Menu" and the "Cancel" buttons at the same time
    Then load your original disc into the player
    This should take you into a diagnostic menu of some sort on the screen.
    If this does not work, wait until you receive Version 4.63 which I have purchased already.

METHOD #4:
    There are two "lights" on the screen that are still white.
    Press the "voice" button on the steering wheel, and the first one will turn green, then make some noise.
    The little bar graph should register the sound. Then press the "back" button on the steering wheel.
    If everything is working properly, this should complete the test.

COMBINATION OF METHODS & OTHERS:
    Attempt a variety of these methods together.
    Try unhooking your battery or GPS fuse or plugs on the back of the unit.
    What finally did it for my dad was getting 4.63 (the newest version) on eBay for around $115 and doing Method #1.
    Finally, I recommend doing all of these BEFORE you take it to the dealership for help! Alpine makes this unit (not Honda and the service department had never heard of this problem at the dealership last week during a regular service. This info was volunteered but they had never heard (which scares me that they would have tried reordering a disc, replacing the drive, all kinds of stuff). They didn’t even have a service bulletin on it, now they do, MINE! And they’ll charge $50 an hour for it!

This is my final post, I won’t be checking this board, so good luck and God bless!
  • fatherdfatherd Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just a note of thanks for taking to time to post. I'm sure you saved me hours of research to solve this. With your post I found the answer in 10 min. I just love the net.

Thanks again,
  • Yes, I too, like the previous poster, wish to say THANK YOU!

I upgraded my navigation to 4.62 last night and thought I'd screwed it up and would be stuck with "in line diag" screen forever unless I wanted to pay the dealership $100 to fix it. Luckily, a quick Google search brought me here and I had the "magic" solution in a couple of minutes. Sometimes I hate computers... but last night I was loving them and the Internet!
  • tennerctennerc Posts: 6
    2 things The best is to get a hand held unit for $300.
    or Garmin sells a replacement unit for the disk unit.
    I don't know of anyone who has done that or how well it works.
    The cost was about $600.
    Has anyone replaced the honda Nav sys with the Garmin unit?
    Garmin makes a replacement dvd unit that you just plug in to the existing cable
    for $600.
  • Anyone know where I get my hands on a cd to upgrade my nav . system?
    www.hondanavi.com but a new update isn't out just yet. 4.70 is going to be the new version on all 05-09 Odyssey's.
  • I believe the new cd will be available for the 2005 ody soon. I am looking to purchase the new cd for a price cheaper then honda. anyone know where i can find it?
  • They have several listings for V 4.63 on ebay. They are supposed to work for 2006 and later. Not sure about 2005. I would look on ebay.
    Yes 4.62 does work on th 05 Odyssey. All 05 and up odyssey's use the 4.xx system.
  • I am considering the purchase of a 2008 Odyssey with NAV. Should I purchase the NAV and if so under what assumptions. For example, if you hold the car for more than three years, is the NAV (even with software updates) driven in the technology trash can? Is the NAV really worth $3,000. Technological obsolescence is my concern.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Is the NAV really worth $3,000 The NAV itself.....no. You get a nice big screen but the actual usefulness of it is mediore at best. A $200 garmin will run circles around it. In fact, we take our Garmin along as a backup for when the OEM Nav frustrates us. So we paid $2,000 (at the time) for a backup camera and voice commands that we don't use. (ding....."XM Channel Twenty".....and the HVAC goes to full-blast...nevermind let me push this one button...).

Technological obsolescence? Maybe many many years down the road. We're closing in on four years and with DVD updates ($200.....) it will stay useful and similarly mediocre for however long they continue to offer DVD updates.

Value? Book value on my van seems to be $700 higher with the navigation vs identical van without. So, it's only really cost me $1,300!! I've decided unless I just have no choice, I won't buy a factory nav again. If i lived in a metro or road-tripped constantly, it might be a different story but I don't and have no intention of doing either.
  • You will likely get mixed feedback on the question whether factory NAV is worth the extra dollars.

I would vote a clear yes it is worth every penny. I have never used a NAV in any other car nor have I ever used the standalone garmin like units. The whole NAV concept is new to me so I have no expecations other then will it get me to where I need to go. I love the Honda NAV. It has worked for me driving from IL to FL door to door without a hithch. I drove just this weekend from IL to WI boonies door to door. It is true that the map is out of date, kindof like a phone book that is 5 years old, but I think how that sets you back depends on where you live and fortunately I live and travel to mainstream areas.

From what I hear the garmin is a much accurate unit and better option for some folks, so it is a shame Honda could not match what one can buy for a couple hundred bucks. To me having a NAV that is integrated with my primary family vehicle with all the feactres "convienietly" within reach (no wires, no battery charge, no whos car was it last left in, etc) that does the job 99% of the time is worth it for me. My kids are on the swim team where we drive to a different mystery pool each weekend so when it is time to wake up 6am in the morning pack the bags and throw 3 kids in the car it is great to jump in a family vehicle and pull the Honda NAV favorite location screen and select the programmed in pool locations.

The voice command is useless, XM didnt care for, backup screen is little value. The NAV will return some dollars back in your pocket when it is time for sale. It is overpriced when all is said and done, but in my eyes it is a must have. I was told up front all auto mfg provided NAV units do not come close to what the garmin offers so I made my decision knowing this and do not regret it at all.
    Ask your self these questions.
    why would you want to spend $3000 for a Nav Sys that performs very poor.
    You can a portable one for $233 Garmin 260 that is the state of the art and is
    much better.
    A portable one you can take in your other auto, or on a rental car, or lone to a friend.
    If you want to up grade to the latest map a garmin cost $75. but a in car Sys. runs $175.
    When you sell your car you have sold your Nav. Sys. also.
  • loncrayloncray Posts: 301
    Why? Because 'very poor' is in the eye of the beholder. I love the (OEM) Navi in my wife's Ody. While there are a few places in this quickly-developing area that are not in the database, they're not a big deal to me. Navi has saved our butts a few times while traveling and I'm very pleased with it. We also like the other bells and whistles the Touring came with, so the premium was worth it regardless of the Navi system. I don't need to put it in my truck; I've got road atlases for that.
  • Why? Because I don't have to worry about where to mount a Garmin, or have to worry about getting tangled up in the power cord running down to the cigarette lighter. Plus like others have already mentioned, the integration with the other components is a nice bonus.

Also, the added safety bonus of the backup camera totally makes it worth it to me. No more worrying about running over a kid's toy (or even worse--my child) left behind the van when backing out of the driveway.
  • zeneliazenelia Posts: 2
    Which 2 Types Of Gps Navigation Products Would Be Best Suited For A Customer Looking To Use It Primarily While Driving?

Portable & handheld, handheld & built in, in dash & portable, in dash & built in?
  • mapman4mapman4 Posts: 1
    This is probably too late to help you but we purchased a 2007 Odyssey touring over a year ago. really likde the bells and whistles - love the nav system but being a long term Tom Tom user, i would not purchase a nav system from Honda. here is why - Nav comes in the entertainment package which is very expensive. Also the Touring only comes with run flat tires. BAD DEAL!!!! run flat tires only get 25,000 to 27,000 miles before replacement and they cost just over $1,000. Better deal is to buy model below the Touring. go out and buy a Tom Tom for $200 to $300 bucks, get personal DVD players to hang on the back of the seats, and put a good set of Michelin tires on the first time you change tires at 40,000 miles plus. this will save you about $6,000 to $8,000 dollars.
  • Many thanks for the feedback... I took the EX-L approach and did not get the NAV. I purchased a second Garmin and my wife and I are good to go. FYI, both Garmins are outstanding.
  • The TomTom ONE XL-S is the high end of TomTom's ONE line of basic portable gps navigators. It adds text-to-speech functionality to the ONE XL's gorgeous widescreen, 4.3-inch display, expanded traffic options that include GPRS- and optional RDS-TMC radio-based real-time traffic information. The TomTom ONE XL is a complete portable GPS vehicle navigation device with an incredible range of features.

-------------------------------
    Gps Navigation Systems
  • Does anyone know if the 2008 Odyssey's navigation screen folds down like the 2009? Thanks for responding!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    The NAV screens fold down starting in 2005.
  • Thank you very much for your reply!
  • Today I went shopping and when I stared the van the Nav system came up asking for a pin #. I have never put one in and it will not do anything. Can someone help? :confuse:
  • There is an anti-theft "security code" for the radio and the navigation that must be entered if the battery goes dead or the power to the device is cut. You should have been given the codes when you bought the vehicle. If not, you'll probably have to contact your dealer. Or do a Google search on honda navi security code and see what you can find.