Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Audio

Comments

• dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I don't have any problem with my Bose system but don't play CDs at really low volume. I have several Bose Acoustimass minature speakers at home and although the sound is OK it is almost too harsh -perhaps "sterile" is what I'm trying to say. It has no warmth like my old bookcase or floor speakers. The Impala bass is ok which helps more than the bass reflex floor speaker that comes with the Acoustimass speakers.
    My next surround sound speakers will be Sony ones.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    zjim,

Think about those who were fooled into buying the Bose "Wave Radio/CD" system for home use. They paid $500.00 for a tuned wooden box with $50.00 worth of electronics. Talk about profit margin. When you are buying a Bose product, you're paying for the brand name. They are doing very well with all car makers from GM, Nissan to BMW, Merc. nowadays

jt
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Amen.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I experimented today with my boss' Nissan Murano with a Bose system. No hiss whatsoever. So...now we know it's not necessarily a Bose problem since they make at least one system without the distortion. We know it's not an Impala problem because other GM vehicles with Bose systems have the same distortion problem. I hate to say but it seems the common denominator is GM. Sadly, I think it's a small enough problem (in the way of complaints) that maybe GM feels it doesn't warrant priority. I hope I'm wrong.
    Either I'm deaf or my car doesn't have a hissing sound. I can't hear anything except the CD even at low volume. I think the Bose radio is fine - lots better than the factory radio in my 2001 Malibu except that I wish it had a cassette capability. I've spent a fortune replacing all my cassettes with CDs. Thank Heaven for Amazon.
  • ktownsendktownsend Member Posts: 1
    I have the HISS that I think everyone is talking about. I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. I am going to push this issue till I get an answer I can live with. My door panel speakers hiss when the body computer is awakened. Open the door or close the door; with or with out the radio or key in the iginition. It appears to be some sort of feed-back that lasts for about 10 seconds. The car has the Monsoon system. The hiss sounds like a nail in a tire! I pay attention more than most. The hiss is not real bad but, I would like to get it fixed if it can be. I really think it has to do with the body computer. Since all warnings and chimes now come through the radio speakers(no external beepers) the body computer seems to be playing with me. I can just sit in the car with no key-in and the his is there with the door open or closed and can be repeated, after the his goes away; just by opening or closing the door again.
    IS THIS WHAT OTHERS ARE EXPERIENCING????? - Keith
    Keith,
    Yep...sounds like you have the same issue I have. My best guess is a "dirty" amplifier. My '06 Impala SS Bose system has the same issue. It's "normal" though, so don't be too adamant that the problem is with your car. I tried two others (show room) since I noticed mine and they exhibit the exact same hiss. I thought we (the forum) had narrowed it down to Bose systems but my boss has a Nissan Murano with a Bose system and his has no hiss. So, the common thread seems to be GM Bose systems.
    What year is your GXP? Do you have the "Black Tie" edition head unit with the large volume knob in the center? Not that it really matters. Our friends in the forums are sharing stories of other GM vehicles with the same problem dating back quite a few years. I would love to learn that GM is going to make it right but I'm not holding my breath since it affects every unit, not just a few bad apples. Please share any info you get.
    There is a lot of things that affect the sound quality of the vehicle. You can put the same system into diferent vehicles and have totally different results. Such things that effect sound system are:

1. Speakers (placement, tuning, number of speakers, quality)
    2. Audio Amplifier (Gain, Phase difference)
    3. Vehicle Noises (wind noise, electrical noise,...)
    4. Acoustic behavior of vehicle
    5. Antenna (if listen to AM/FM)
    6. Wire harness bundling (separation of noisy wires from audio line,...)and cable shielding,...
    7. Audio system engineering of vehicle to make sure pops, clicks not preset when activate power door, windshield wiper, defroster,...

So apparently, the hissing sound was not either detected or not considered important by GM engineers while doing their validation works. Bose is still not in the clear if the Nissan does not make a similar noise. Most of the time, it takes more than one components to show the bad overall engineering design. In this case, it could be: "cheap" head unit + "expensive" Bose amp + somnething else?

jt
  • ibaswimmeribaswimmer Member Posts: 24
    Hi all,
    Well, if it helps in anything, the hissing is with the "premium sound systems" that are in the 06 impalas (aka... the Bose speakers). I have checked around with other models and such with the impala and the normal sound system seems to not have the hiss. Also, my husband has the bose speakers in his Silverado and there is no hiss coming from his speakers so who knows. I do agree with one thing for certain though... GM is deaf and absolutely will NOT acknowledge that there is a problem. It is extremely frustrating... and GM seriously wonders why they are getting beat out by the competition... if you don't put out quality products, people won't buy. The sad part about it all is that the Impala is a nice car ... and I'm a Honda owner!
  • pete57701pete57701 Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone: I just recently noticed your talk forum on the 2006 impala ltz radio hiss problem. Let me tell you,it's driven me crazy since i took ownership on 11/01/05.Been to the dealer for the re-programming tsb's and yet the problem still exists.Contacted customer service dept. at chevy and they have no answers but to say that it may take some time to validate a new design of what piece of the system they would not say.Also have made a complaint with the BBB Auto Line about this matter.They are supposed to contact chevy directly and look into the problem.I recently visited my dealership again and tried two other 2006 impala's with the bose system and both did the same thing.I am starting to get really pissed at this problem because if you pay for a premium sound system,thats what you should receive.I have a 2005 Silverado that i had purchased new in april of 2005 with the bose audio system with x-m and on-star,and i have no complaints about it.This hiss problem seems to be on the so called black-tie audio system with bose option exclusivley.Also have contacted bose via e-mail twice.The first contact was replied within 48 hours saying that the notify there engineering dept. about the problem and would get back to me.That was on Dec.03,2005.In Feb. 2006,I e-mailed them again asking why i have not heard back from them in two months,but have not got any reply yet as of April 4,2006.Something's fishy here.Either they know the problem exists and are not going to do anything about it,or they do not have an answer on how to fix this problem.Anyway,just wanted to share some info on my personal experiance on this matter.If i here anything new,i will share that with everyone just as soon as i get it! ">
    Thanks for the info, Pete. I agree fully that this is unacceptable. Unfortunately, there aren't a large number of us who are dissatisfied with the system; just read through the posts. Thinking positively, maybe if there are only a few of us complaining, GM may make things right with us since it wouldn't cost as much. Those who are satisfied with their "hissy" stereos can keep them. ;)
    At least the service department I've talked to acknowledges the problem although they consider it normal since they all do it. Sad thing is, I didn't even test the stereo when I test drove the car. I made the false assumption that a Bose system would be top of the line. I'm as angry with myself as I am with GM. But, I think our only hope is to talk to Chevy or GM directly. The dealerships can't reengineer the sound system. They can't fix something that isn't "broken." :cry:
    I must say that the fact that there are very few of us talking about or even acknowledging the hissing noise has been quite odd to me, but anyway. Yes, I agree with having to talk to Chevy directly, rather the Chevy Impala engineers, before anything will be done. I have been to the service centers with no luck and every time I call Chevy directly they tell me to go to the service centers. Its a 100% run-around. Thanks for the update and sharing of the experience. I agree with quietpro that maybe if we complain enough in these little forums that maybe it will help.
  • scauerscauer Member Posts: 13
    Maybe it would help if someone starts maintaining a list of annoyed drivers, that the more vocal among us can use when talking to Chevy. If someone makes a lot of noise with Chevy and says I have a list of 30 other owners with the same problem, maybe it will get more attention. I'd be glad to maintain this list, but I'm not much of a noise maker.

Also, there very well could be more annoyed people out there just watching this thread for a resolution and not posting. It would be nice to see if there are more of us out there.
    That's a great idea of letting GM know about all the people complaining. I have actually been keeping these forum posts in a word document with the intention of passing them along to GM. I'm thinking it is probably about that time considering I have 17 pages worth of information for them to peruse at their leisure :-)
    Are there any folks out there reading this that have the skills to build a web site for this issue? Edmund's is a great site but I found it by accident. I'm sure there are others out there with this complaint and they may be Google searching for help with their issues. If someone creates a web page, all the major search engines would likely route people to it. We could then develop an electronic petition. Any takers? I could probably get smart on the process and do it but I know there are lots of people out there with extensive web page design experience. Another way that would be easier but less effective would be to email all the folks talking about their Bose issues on Edmund's, get their names and locations and pass that on to Chevy/GM. Just a thought....
    I mentioned Google-ing in my last post and decided to try it. With "Impala Bose system problem" in the search line, it comes to one of my earlier posts. Hurray!! I'm famous. :)
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    HI! I'm usually on the GXP forum. I also have a 2006 Grand Prix GXP and have the same hissing/humming noise. When I open my car door, with key in hand, not in the ignition, I hear a hissing/humming sound coming from the door speakers and light or I'm thinking maybe from OnStar because it uses a microphone too and may not be compatible with the Monsoon Speaker System. My noise lasts about 13 seconds and then goes off. I don't hear it any more.

Believe me, I have been complaining since October. First, to Customer Service which is worthless, I have written several letters, one to Mark LaNeve -- no reply and to someone else at GM -- no reply. GM says it is not harmful, they are aware of the problem and there is no remedy at this time. Everytime I go to the dealer they check the bulletins to see if a solution has come through yet -- no. I am really fed up because it is annoying, and the fact that GM was aware of this problem in the 2005 GXP's and yet put the same piece of junk in the 2006 GXP really infuriates me. I have gotten nowhere. I have told GM that after having bought 5 Pontiacs from them since 1992, this will be my last GM car. When I get a Survey from them, I write on the top "I'll fill this out when you fix my humming/hissing problem." And, then I send it to them. They just don't care.
    chats1,

I do not think your GXP has the same problem as the 06 Impala. The problem with the new 06 Impala with Bose Amp/speakers is "all the time" hissing sound when the radio is set at the lowest volume level. That may be why other owners of the GXP are not too upset as the new Impala owners.

jt
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please do not post email addresses.

Since we are an online community, we would really like the conversations to take place here on the boards. That way the exchange of information benefits the entire community, now and in the future.

Thanks!
    Pete57701,

Do not be fooled by the Black Tie appearance: not all of the Black Tie radios are created equal since GM now has more than one supplier for Black Tie radio family. GM like Ford, Toyota, Honda,Hyundai... now has multiple suppliers. Typical radios suppliers are: Delphi, VDO, F-Ten, Visteon, Panasonic, Pioneer, Autonet,...

So if one hears hissing sound on Impala 's Black Tie radio, it does not mean he will hear it automatically on Tahoe's Black Tie , or DTS's , HHR's.

jt

jt
    Hey Guys! Wanted to let you know that i did receive a reply from the BBB.They talked to gm directly and the service manager at the dealership where i purchased the car.They have come to a conclusion that it is whats called a design issue on this vehicle whatever that means.My problem is even if they aknowledge that there is an issue here,when or if they will do something to fix it or not!I have not heard of any so called promises that it would be fixed from anyone.However,the BBB auto line negotiated an agreement in which they offered me a 24 month gm smart care plan with no deductible as a so called good faith effort for being a patient with this problem.I personnally think that this is just a pacifier, instead of addmitting that they have not yet found a solution to this problem.But i was not going to say no to this for at least it covers my oil changes and tire rotations for the next two years.Maybe if other people with this problem would contact the BBB auto line, chevy might do the same for them and in essence,realize that they are shelling out so much money that they actually try to fix the problem instead of brushing it under the carpet!Looking forward to hearing your remarks. Pete.
    Does this have to do with the radio? If not, your comment would probably be better placed in whichever of our general discussions would be appropriate at these links:

Chevrolet Impala 2006+

Chevrolet Impala 2005 and earlier
    Sorry Pat, Did not elaborate well enough i guess.My entry #1235 is about the radio hiss problem on the 2006 impala.It's an update on the previous entry #1222 dated on 04/05/06. P.S. Sorry about the e-mail situation Pat.I was not aware that it cause a problem! Thanx.
    Sorry Pete, my misunderstanding. :blush:

I just wanted you to get your message in front of the widest audience if it wasn't about the radio.

'scuse the interruption!
    That is awesome on the update. I actually have one as well on that hissing noise. As you know I have been waiting until Chevy fixed the problem before I would buy the radio... well low and behold I went to a dealership yesterday and looked at another one with a later manufacture date on it and guess what.... the hissing was hard for even me to notice! I think they actually tried to do something to fix it. My jaw dropped to the floor. I took it for a test drive and couldn't hear the noise at all with the engine running. Needless to say I must admit that I took it home with me. I'm not sure if this helps anyone, but I have a strong feeling they knew they had a problem and I am guessing it is too complicated for them to fix the ones already out there, but the newer ones are MUCH quieter.
    ibaswimmer, just to elaborate, are you writing in reference to the Bose system? Assuming you are, what is the manufacture date? If there are new/improved head units or amps in the assembly system, I would think the rest of us could get replacements. I'm really looking forward to hearing that the problem has been addressed by GM and a fix is on the way! Thanks for the update! :)
    quietpro,
    Yes, I am referring to the Bose system. I will look on the car itself to get you a more accurate date, but the manufacture date on the sticker was for August of 2005.
    jt, in reply to your message, there are plenty of GXP owners who have the hissing/humming noise constantly while they are listening to their radio. One person said he can't even listen to the Sports Channel at low volume, the noise is so unbearable and another one said at 60 miles an hour, the noise is unbelievable. Thank God, mine isn't that bad. Another thing, the dealer did give me the Smart Care Package free of charge. I substituted wheel alignment, in lieu of tire rotations, since the tires on the GXP don't get rotated. I still think that since OnStar is now digital in the new models, not analog, that is the problem and GM certainly isn't going to admit that. OnStar monitors the car all the time and uses a microphone and may not be compatible with these systems.
    If your reply was directed at me for posting Chats1@carspace.com, what is wrong with that? That is on your forum; it's not a private e-mail address, and I wanted that particular GXP owner to contact me, so I don't know why you deleted my message. Please explain. Your explanation is not satisfactory to me and I think rude.
    Thanks ibaswimmer! I'm looking forward to hearing back from you. If this turns out to be a good lead, maybe you can provide more specifics at a later date. This is the biggest issue I have with the car. Thanks again! :)
    It wasn't directed at you. :)

Email me if you want to talk about it some more.
    Just wanted to chime in on the possible production date issue. My vehicle was special ordered and built in October of 2005.I took possesion of the car on Nov. 1,2005.I added the optional 6-disc c-d changer and engine block heater (since i live in a cold region during the winter months)I do not think that the 6-disc option is relevant to the hissing problem,but wanted to state it anyway.I called my salesman today at the dealership and asked him to go out on the lot and try the two other '06 ltz model impala's they currently have their and see if they exhibit the same issue.About an hour later,he called me back and verified that they both do!The production dates are 12/05 on one of them, and 01/06 on the other one.I'm sure glad he did that favor for me because it is a 100 mile round trip to the dealership!Anyway,just wanted to share that info with everyone. Talk to you later, Pete.
    chats1,

Do you have constant hissing problem in AM/FM modes or even in CD mode? If the AM/FM audio is corrupted but the CD audio is OK, then your problem could be caused by Electrical interference from the On-Star module (or others: ignition, fuel pump, motor controllers...) to the radio's antenna.

Other high speed digital systems like PC, DVD player, cellphones are known to jam radio frequency. That is why we are not allowed to turn on our cellphone and any electronic devices while airplane is taking off or landing (they are afraid of Radio Frequency Interference to plane's computers, GPS, ...)

Symptoms may be similar but the causes may be totally different. The GXP and Impala have different Head Units made by different suppliers and probably different Bose Amp/speakers setups. In addition, the vehicle electronics contents are different. Just one Ground wire could sometimes make a radio from being bad to good.

jt
    Thanks for your reply. No I have no hissing/humming sound once the car is turned on -- only when I first open my door and then after about 13 seconds -- car still off -- I put my ear next to the speakers on both doors and I can hear the humming/hissing sound from the speakers and I can't really tell if it's aiso either from the light on top that GM says is the cause or the rearview mirror with OnStar. My brother insists it's OnStar. Once the car is started, there is no hissing/humming. The radio/CD player play just fine. So, my noise is not as bad as other GXP's owners, but I am mad because GM was aware of the problem in the 2005 GXP's and failed to remedy the problem in the 2006 GXP. GM's answer is "it is not harmful, there is no remedy at this time, we are aware of this." And calling Customer Service is worthless. They do nothing. They just want to get rid of problems, not solve them. I have even written to Mark LaNeve at GM and someone else and received no answer. So no more GM cars for me. That's it. I have bought five Pontiacs from the same dealer since 1992. It is not a dealer problem, but GM's.
    The dealer gave me the three year Smart Care package when I first purchased the car bc I had another complaint. I didn't know anything about any deductibles. I take it in every 3,000 miles and they do the oil change, check the car over, adjust the tire pressure, check belts, hoses, etc., free. I substituted tire rotation for wheel alignment because on the GXP because of the different tire sizes -- 8 inches in front and 7 in the rear -- the tires do not get rotated. Then I had another complaint. When I picked up my new car, after I gave them my check, which I'll never do again before seeing the car, but it was being detailed, the salesman then told me a part had to be ordered. I was furious. But it was overnighted and fixed the next day. I called the owner who called the Service Dept. and the next day the door ajar part on the hood was installed. I got another detailing and free loaner car for this inconvenienced. No more GM cars.
    Thanks, Pat. I just thought it was directed at me. I apologize. I was rude. Happy Easter. Chats1
  • pskinnpskinn Member Posts: 1
    We recently had problems with our turn signals. We had the entire turn signal unit replaced. Within a few days the problem started all over again/ This time the Hazzard button was replaced. Now the radio does not work. We have no sound. It started with just working part time now nothing. I have been told we have to replace the whole radio unit. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on if this could be a short in a computer chip?
    It could be the repair work on the turn signal that caused the radio problem (pinched wired, blown fuses,...). Something you can do yourselves:

1. Check on fuses that connect to the radio and/or Audio amplifier (using owner manual to look for them). By checking, you take the fuse(s) out and look at them to make sure they are OK. Another benefit: if the radio 's computer is brain dead, this procedure gives it a "RESET" just like when your PC at home hangs up that requires a push on the RESET putton. I used this procedure many times on my GM minivan when the power sliding door acted up (resetting the body computer that controls the power sliding door)

2. Your 2001 Impala radio does not produce TURN SIGNAL sound (or CLICK CLACK) so it is unlikely the radio failure would cause the TURN SIGNAL function to fail (06 Impala uses radio to produce the CLOCK CLACK sound however)

Radio needs the following signals to function:

1. 12V battery (always there)
    2. Ignition (12V when ignition is on or vehicle is on ACC mode). Some GM vehicle does not use this wire since it gets the same information from the vehicle bus
    3. Vehicle bus (CLASS 2 in this case) for VIN information power moding, etc..
    4. Ground (power and RF ground for tuner)
    5. 4 pairs of Audio outputs for 4 speakers

All of those lines are feeding to the two black connectors in the back of the radio. If any of those wires got piched, broken then your radio will not work.

jt
  • buckranch1buckranch1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 chevrolet impala and the car was originally equipped with xm radio. Someone switched the am/fm/cd with an am/fm/cassette and stole the audio power booster out of the trunk. The radio flashes calibration error and there is no sound or chimes for the car. What is the cheapest way to fix this?
  • wzweifelwzweifel Member Posts: 2
    I GOT THIS SAME PROBLEM AFTER THE DEALER HAD IT FIRST THEY SAID IT WAS MY RADIO TURNED OUT IT WASNT THAT THEN THEY SAID I HAD A SHORT IN MY SPEAKER WIRES NOW THEY CHARGED ME OVER 200.00 TO TELL ME THE AMPLIFIER WAS BAD THEY WANTED OVER 300.00 ADDITIONAL FOR THAT DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE TO FIND ONE CHEAPER
    The cheapest way is to hook the radio directly to the speakers. Right now with your set-up, the Power Amp is connected to the radio and the speakers. Now without the Power Amp, the audio signal does not go from the radio to the speakers. That is why yours has no sound. With this vintage of radio, the radio can drive the speakers directly. So you need to match the pinout of the 4 pairs of speakers wires:

1.LF+ and LF- (Left Front + and Left Front -) to connect to Left Front speaker

2. RF+ and RF- to Right Front Speaker
    3. RR+ and RR- to Right Rear Speaker
    4. LR+ and LR- to Left Rear Speaker

The vehicle, if come with Power Amp option should have wireharness that provides the above 4 pairs of Audio from the radio. At the output side of the Power Amp (now missing), you at least have similar 4 pairs of the boosted signals (they go to the speakers). Now the trick is to find the match and connect them accordingly (ex. RR+ input to Amp to RR- output from Amp,...). So you need to know the pinout of the Power Amp for this task. Try to look up early information in this forum.

Good Luck

jt
    Have you tried the Junk Yard shops. They normally offer them at cheaper price

jt
  • wzweifelwzweifel Member Posts: 2
    i have tried looking in junk yards no luck only luck i had is putting a after market amplifier in and the lowest price on that was 400.00 i am not sure what i am going to do right now

WZ
  • chrisnjchrisnj Member Posts: 7
    I've owned 20+ cars in my 40 years, and hands down my wife's 03 Yukon XL that has a Bose system, is the best factory sound system we've heard, until I just got a used 03 Deville w/Bose and it is incredible! I'm hearing things on some older CD's that I've never heard before from music that's from my youth. And by the way, we also have a Bose wave radio (for 4-5 years) and it sounds sooooo good that we plan on getting another one for our family room to replace a pretty high end Sony system. And no, I do not own Bose stock or work for them, or know anyone who does. No offense to you jnt, but have you ever heard one in a higher end car like a caddy? I'm only guessing that a Bose system in 50K car should probably be a lot better than a 23K car, but just assuming.
    I had the Bose System in my 2002 Grand Prix GTP and it was wonderful. Now, I have the Monsoon System in my 2006 Grand Prix GXP and I have the humming/hissing noise. I think that with the Monsoon System it's not compatible with OnStar and GM is certainly not going to admit that. What are they going to do -- take apart the OnStar system. That is why they are saying there is no remedy for this -- it is not harmful -- so no fix. That's it.
    I have driven and tested many Bose equiped GM vehicles including some older Model Year 2000 Caddy (STS and Deville). Of course, when you spend Thousands of dollars for Bose system, you expect them to sound better than the one GM has equipped in base vehicles (probably $2.00 Chinese made speakers). In the past, I also have purchased Bose speakers for home use, so I am not a stranger to their home products either. But overall, my personal opinion is simple: those who buys Bose pay for the brand name first. And that does not always equate to performance. Just like one just goes out and by a SONY TV. He probably pays $100 just for the name.

One thing I really admire about Bose: they're probably the most sucessful OEM Audio company in the automotive market. Their customers include quite a few high end American, Japanese and German car companies.

jt
    I don't have a hissing noise at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears as thought the only Bose speakers in my Impala are the ones on the front doors. The sound is fine but I wonder who makes the back package shelf speakers? Perhaps I should eventually replace them with Bose ones.
    Dispencer1, it is my understanding that all eight speakers are Bose or Bose tuned but I'm not really sure. I haven't been able to get any clear info on the system specs. I did want to confirm that you don't have the low volume hiss. In my SS, the easiest way to hear it is to activate anything that will cause a door chime or even just turn the stereo on at it's lowest volume and then turn it off. Between on and off, you can hear the difference. When setting the volume, if you turn it (counter-clockwise)it will go to a completely silent setting. One detent clockwise will still have no actual volume (you won't hear music) but you will hear (in my car) the hiss/distortion. I hope I'm not getting too in-depth with this but I am so anxious to find a fix. If I can prove that another Bose system is hiss-free, I will have a much better position to argue from. Thanks again! :)
    OK - As far as the speakers are concerned, the rear speakers under the package shelf are marked "26299-004 Indonesa 58N17E. Between the speakers is an amplifier which I assume is a Bose one. Perhaps someone who doesn't have Bose speakers can check the back ones and see if they are marked like mine. It is easy to see them from the inside of the trunk.

As far as the hiss goes, I turned the radio to zero volume (nothing on the volume bar) and obviously heard nothing. Even one click up (when an active FM station is on or a CD) you can hear faintly the station or CD. There is no hiss -just the sound of the station or CD very faintly. When there is a station chosen that is not operating you can hear a very faint hiss like you would hear on any old fashioned radio as you are moving the tuning dial between stations. I can't hear the hiss when the radio or CD is playing normally even between CD selections. Hope this helps. If you have a really audible hiss on the first click that is different from mine I'd see the dealer. My car was built in March so perhaps they had fixed the hiss by then.
    Dispencer1, thanks for the clarification. My sister has a 3LT, single disk, MP3 player system. I'll get her to check her's to see if they're the same speakers. It definitely sounds like you don't have the same issue. The only thing you didn't confirm was the door chime. If you could, the next time you hear the door chime, listen for hiss after the chime. It lasts for approx 1-2 sec after the last chime. Thanks again :D