Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Audio

Comments

• pete57701pete57701 Member Posts: 7
    I'm sorry! I forgot to mention that i did in fact look at the amp mounted on the decklid in the trunk.I may be wrong about this, but it sure looks like the original amp that came with the vehicle when i had purchased it in Nov. 2006.Its definitely not the same as the one currently installed in my vehicle when i had the new design (revised) amp installed, along with the software update per tsb that was issued sometime this past summer.What i am saying is that G.M. has finally resolved the hiss issue with the manufacturer of the head unit, where the problem stemmed from all the time.After people started to complain in mass numbers about this problem on the 2006 models,G.M. then went to Bose to try to reduce this problem.Since Bose only supplys the amp and the speakers, they then did what they could to compress the output signal to a point that it would help the hiss, but not resolve the issue.It is sort of a band aid, if you will, but not a fix whatsoever!Whether or not the 2006 radio was not compatible with the on-star system, or it was just a sub-par head unit and the output signal was just not good enough, we will never know. I don't see G.M. ever admitting that they knew there was a problem, but did not address it before the vehicles were assembled.I do know for a fact that the 2007 models have a much cleaner sounding system, and just because we purchased 2006 models that we should not enjoy the same clarity!Beyond that i do not know what we can do about this.Mabye if we complain in large enough numbers, they will possibly consider upgrading us to the 2007 system,that would be my idea of the fair thing to do.My experiance with the new amp that is installed reduced my hiss by about 50% at most! I feel that is not acceptable, since we ( the consumers ),paid the extra money for the upgraded audio system that we should get what we paid for.Anyway,thats my gripe! I'll be looking forward to hearing from anyone who feels the same way that i do! Talk to later, Pete.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Thanks for the follow-up, Pete. I'll be taking my car to the dealer soon and will see if I can compare an '07 to mine. If it was the head unit all along, I agree that they should do the right thing and help us out...but I won't hold my breath.
  • melekalikimakamelekalikimaka Member Posts: 2
    My car currently has around 12,000 miles on it. I swear the sound quality of the audio system (the plain jane system - NOT Bose) is getting better. It's as if the speakers are finally starting to break in. It still can't compare to my old 2001 Impala, but it seems to be getting better.
    Anyway, I know this is a stupid question, but how can I tell if I have XM radio capability? Also, in order to use my MP3 player, what do I have to do? Get a particular cord and hook it up through the auxiliary input?
    I realize these are stupid questions, so thanks in advance!
    To determine if you have XM, you should be able to press the "Band" button and cycle through AM/FM/XM. Even if you don't subscribe, XM channel 1 would play. It's gives information on how to register your radio and lots of commercials telling you how great XM is.

I believe the XM equipped radios also play MP3 CDs but I'm going to assume you don't have it. For the input cable, you can buy a male to male cord just about anywhere. Just make sure it's a stereo cable and fits in your MP3 player. A while back, a reader posted a link on here to an internet site that sold a retractable cord that allowed you to select the appropriate length and then quickly store it away when not used; check out post 1951 in the 2006+ forum. :)
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Also vehicle equipped with XM should have XM antenna on the roof.

jt
    Aside from the rental fleet, all Impalas come standard with OnStar and now that the OnStar and XM antennas are integrated, all Impalas have the antenna in place regardless of whether or not the XM head unit is in the car. My nephew's 2LT has the antenna but no XM.
  • lddanelddane Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I just bought a 06 Impala and am in the process of installing my various electronic toys. I can't find a source of switched power in the vicinity of the radio. (Actually, I haven't found it anywhere yet) Does anyone know of a good location to pull switched power?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Recently the radio in my 2000 Impala has started to do some odd things...most notably I'll be cursoring through the presets on the steering wheel button, and it will suddenly kick into "search" mode and scroll across the entire dial without finding whatever it was searching for. This typically happens first thing in the morning, when external temps are in the 30s or 40s. Wondering if anyone else had had a similar problem, and if it's just a cold weather thing, or something I'm going to have to get used to.
  • pbaranellopbaranello Member Posts: 36
    About it being a weather thing, contraction and expansion or vice versa. I had it happen to the cruise control, car would just start to accelerate and or hunt for a speed. Got your heart rate going at times. Once the temp. is stable in the car it was good for the entire day. My problem was in the summer, where when the car sat in the heat it would happen all the time.
    Your radio or Steering Wheel control could have a sticky button that basically got stuck physically when the temp drops below certain level. Another possible cause: the circuit behind the switch pad, connector is intermitten and short out certain path that produces the voltage similar to when the SEEK/SCAN function is requested.

The thing should worry you is your radio does not stop on anything, however. If the radio does not stop on any station, your antenna connection to the radio may be bad or loosed. But if you tune it manually, and you still can receive FM stations 40 miles (or 200 miles away for AM), then the antenna connection is probably OK.

Another to look for is may be your radio in RDS search mode (by intermitten button agian). If that is the case, it is likely the radio will not find anything since RDS functions are not fully implemented in the US. In this case, do not worry about it.

Most FM station in our country uses RDS just for station name and music type. In Europe, RDS is very popular in program type searching, traffic info, frequency hopping to improve FM reception, Emergency messages,... It is a low cost, nice feature to have once you get used to it. Unfortunately, it did not fly here.

jt
  • friesm713friesm713 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I know it's been 3 years since you posted this question. I own a 2001 Impala and just purchased a used amp from a 2003 to replace the old one after it died.

Did you by chance figure out how to hook up the 10449235 amp to the plugs for the old amp?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
  • friesm713friesm713 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just purchased an amp from a parted out '03 Impala to install in my '01 Impala after the amp died. I expected the plugs to be the same, but they aren't. Could you tell me how you hooked up the '03 amp to your '01?

I would appreciate an help. Thanks,
    Another source of info for you: Chevy dealer. They do have the Service Manuals for both model year vehicles. They should have pin descriptions for both Audio Amplifiers. Radio pinouts are not different if they look the same for both years.

jt
  • islandjimiislandjimi Member Posts: 1
    I've got the same issue. I was ready to install some of my toys and can't find a switched 12v source. Did you every find one or get an answer?
  • mote96mote96 Member Posts: 3
    I'm test driving an '06 LTZ and there is all kinds of hissing. With the volume all the way down, when I use the turn signal there is a hiss in the stereo.
  • jeberlejeberle Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2006 LTZ and the AM reception is really poor. Anybody experience the same problem and/or have a suggestion for a solution?
    Mote,
    That is the Bose defect although they probably don't like getting credit for it. Have the dealer fix the system before you buy it. They replaced the rear amp on all of "ours" out here. But, one thing I'd ask as a favor. Since the one you're looking at has the original amp, could you test some music for sound quality at a fairly loud volume? I had mine fixed about 7 mos ago but now when I listen to music at a louder volume (too loud to talk to anyone in the car but not ear-splitting), I notice that the upper midrange volume is annoying. It's between the midrange and treble adjustments on the stereo so it can't be adjusted. It's actually painful for me to listen to certain songs that hit particular notes. It's definitely NOT as expertly tuned as Bose always claims but I don't know if the new amp is the cause because I didn't really test it much before I had the amp switched out.
    One more thing, if you do buy the car and have the amp replaced, if you could look at the old and new amps so you could tell me if they're still installing the same one, that would be great. I really like my car but I've never been more unhappy with a stereo system....and it's the "best" I've ever owned.
    Any chance you have semi-metallic window tinting? It's supposed to really hamper reception. I'll try to remember to test mine (I have that type of tinting) and see if I can pull anything in.
    You should do the AM sensitivity check to see if your radio/antenna is OK : tune to high power stations at least 200 miles way to see if you can receive them. If yours can only receive stations less than 50 miles, there is likely antenna connection problem. AM is very picky about it.

Generically, things to check:

1. Connection between rear glass antenna pattern (looks like defroster wire) to Antenna amp module near it.

2. Check the connection between the antenna amp module and the co-ax cable that feeds the radio. This should be at the output of the antenna module

3. At the radio, check connection between the co-ax cable and the radio. Unfortunately, you have to pop out the trim around radio to get access to it.

All of the above is to check the mechanical connection from the vehicle antenna to the radio

But again before you decide to do all of the above, may be next time at Chevy dealer, you need to compare yours to another Impala's.

Things that kill AM reception:

1. DC/AC inverter. This is is like AM station jammer
    2. Laptop or Aftermarket DVD player: another noise maker
    3. Metallic tinning over antenna wire (rear glass in this case). It acts like shield that prevents signal getting to the antenna.
    4. Loose spark plug or anything that generate sparks. AM and FM hate them
    5. Vehicle Electrical noise that jams radio station

Now if you do not have these Electrical noises and your connections are good from antenna to radio, then the next culprit could be faulty radio . It could be a unique situation (yours only), but it could be design problem with the whole system. In the latter case, the solution is very limited until Chevy decides to use different radio. Most Aftermarket radios have lousy AM performance so that may not be a good option.

You can reduce the static AM noise by reducing the Trebble setting. That will not make yours any more sensitive, but it will make the sound more tolerable.

Another option is using a magnetic mounted whip antenna on the roof of the vehicle. It is not a good looking option. But it may reduce Electrical noise coupled to the radio antenna since this is passive system. You have to buy antenna adapter from that to your GM radio to complete the connection. It may/may not help

So good hunting

jt
    There is a GM TSB about poor radio reception due to the crack on rear defogger wire. It affects quite a few GM vehicles with rear window antenna (next to the defogger). It affects Impala also.

Here is the link to it

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/1157094000000_1159858800000_03-08-44-0- 05F/30051.html

jt
  • 2000chevyowner2000chevyowner Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading through the posts and everyone is right, the Chevy Impala car stereo sucks! I love alot of bass in my music and I just am not getting it with this car. We just bought it about a week ago and it only had 19 thousand miles on it. I could not believe my luck. But anyhow my question is if there is a way to change the whole stereo/speakers out of the car? My stereo is the cd with no cassette. But I have also read here and also in the manual that the radio is imprinted with the VIN #. I am afraid if I change it out with a new system the car will not start as described in another post when they tried to change it from a cassette to a factory cd. Thanks so much! :)
    My recommendation would be to have Circuit City or other reputable business do it for you. That way, you'll have a quality installation and a way of getting any problems worked out if they turn up. If you insist on doing it yourself, talk to you local service department and they will likely give you the information you need to avoid problems. Mine did but the wiring is so integrated into everything else on the car, I decided to skip it.
    It is OK to do just that on that vehicle. However, if you try to use this Chevy radio in another vehicle, you will probably have problem . The radio may say "LOC". This is a cheap theft deterent for GM radio: it needs valid VIN number to work.

All you need from the vehicle is 12 V battery, 12V Acc (aka Ignition), and Ground.

jt
    A while back I posted about some odd gremlins involving my radio, which I thought might be due to cold weather. This has been going on for maybe two months or so, until this past Sunday night when my battery went dead. I replaced the battery on Monday, and even though it's been very cold here the past couple of days, all my odd electrical problems seems to have disappeared with the battery replacment. I don't know a great deal about electrical stuff, so is it possible my battery wasn't operating at 100% and that was causing my radio and such to behave erratically?
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Now that you mention it...my wife's Pontiac Montana would show a "door ajar" light and some other pecularities that would occur with any regularity or repeatability. When the battery was replaced, they went away. Vehicle doesn't have a volt meter or battery indicator; maybe that's GM's way of telling us whne to replace the battery? I like the guages better. Clark
    Inconsistent voltages can cause some very flaky things to happen with electronics. Thanks for sharing this with us; it could come in handy when dealing with our own gremlins. :)
  • mjagsmjags Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: I've got a 2002 Impala with a factory AM/FM CD radio. A few weeks ago the sound from the radio stopped although the display was still working. And I noticed the warning chimes no longer worked.

After reading a few posts in this forum I got the idea that the trunk mounted amplifier was bad. So I purchased one on ebay that the seller claims works, installed it and still no radio sound or chimes.

Did all the usual things like check fuses (all good), checked for power at the amp (ok) and now I'm at a loss.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    GM stereos are flaky but I'd guess it was the head unit since the door chimes are out. The chime is sent from the head unit. But, don't take my word for it. I have had good luck talking to service personnel at the dealerships, if you can believe it. If I happen to be right, they'd probably confirm that for you. ;)
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    ...Bought my wife a new Honda Accord with XM radio, my New '06 Impala does not have XM.....Ok, here's my question...called XM radio the other day about her XM subscription, got talking to the rep about XM for my Impala...he said (the rep) "My honda subsription would be 11.95 for 1 year (after the 3 months free)and if I wanted to get XM for my Impala, because it's XM compatiable , but I'm not hooked up to it...I can for an additional $6.95 a month get a free radio from XM, put it on my dash , or seat or wherever in my Impala, tune my radio to 81.1 FM and BINGO, I'd have XM radio!!!...Ok, all you musically and electronically inclined guys and gals....does this sound right?...comments?....
    To be honest, I'm surprised you don't have a factory XM radio in your car. It would've had to have been specially ordered without it. Just to be sure, I'd cycle through the bands (AM/FM/maybe XM) to see if you were told incorrectly.
    As for an add-on, they have deals they run all the time to get you to sign up. The radio (at this point) is no biggie. They want you to get hooked on XM and keep paying for the subscription. I'm a subscriber and love it even though I think their programming could be better. I have my car stereo and a portable. I paid 3 yrs in advance (refundable if you change your mind) and got it for 9.95/mo. The additional radio is 6.95 and I can pay month to month or as far in advance as I like...no discount. You can have up to four per family at that price.

If you do go with an add-on, I would suggest shopping around a little to get what you want vs. what they want to give away. My portable can record broadcasts so that I can listen to them when I want, it can be set to alert me when a band I like is playing on another station, and it has a stock ticker to monitor my investments. I'm actually kind of bummed that the factory radio in the 06+ Impalas ONLY allows me to see the artists name or song...not both...without manually scrolling through the options.

Any other questions? I'd be happy to weigh in. :)
  • ferranteferrante Member Posts: 6
    I.ve got a 2002 impala with factory am/fm cd . And I have the same problem. I've checked all speakers , amp , even purchaces a brand new coaxial coil that goes above the rear panel . I purchaces a used radio and now want to put it in , but when i do it comes up as locked, so off to the dealership we are so they can scan or do whatever it is they do to dissarm the used radio to work in mine. Good luck , i will let u know what happens. Mike
    The only thing my radio has as far as XM goes is a "cat" button that when I push it , it says "XM Feature"...my dealer says that means nothing. he said for me to have XM radio installed by GM would cost @ $1200, because they'd have to reharness the radio. No way am I interested in that! Actually , I'm not into the radio thing on these cars much at all, I was just curious if it was true for 6.95 I could put a little radio in there and listen the Baseball games.I could just ride around in my wifes Honda and do that, I guess!...any more comments?
    I'm pretty sure that's accurate...I was looking at getting XM back around Christmas, but changed my mind; but you do pay X for the first one and less for others (family plan). Know that Sirius and XM are merging; word on the street is that might actually mean lower cost for service, but I haven't seen anything official yet. But something to keep in mind.
    Bryan,
    Since your radio has the CAT button, yours will play MP3 CDs as well (in case you didn't know). The owner's manual only states that XM is available with that radio. Have you tried pressing the Band button to make sure it doesn't have it? The CAT button is used to switch between different categories of XM stations. You must be in the XM band to use it. If you're not in XM band, it gives you the "XM Feature" message you're seeing (I just tried it on mine). I think your radio has XM.
    But, if not, you can still use a portable but you wouldn't even need to tune to an FM station to listen. You could use the Aux port on the front of your car stereo to get an even clearer sound.
    If you want to know about MP3 CDs, let me know. :)

Ron
    I only get Am and Fm 1 and Fm 2 on my radio.....I have no options with my Super Sport...probably the only one they made with no options...I'll try one more time, but i doubt if i have XM....for the record..the options are:

heated front seats
    6 Disc CD
    Bose sound
    XM radio
    Sunroof
    Woodgrain trim
    Engine block heater
    leather seats
    heated mirrors

I have none of those options..

I'll try my radio again , but doubt if i have XM..
    Bryan,
    Well, if you've tried it before, I'll take your word for it. ;) Some people take the salesperson's word for it and never second-check. I don't think you have FM1 and FM2. That's a feature of the older stereos that allowed more memory presets in the same band. The new "black tie" stereos in our cars allow you to store AM/FM/XM stations all together on the same "page." I hope you aren't offended by my continued offerings of unsolicited info. It's just that you showed interest in XM. I did see in the owner's manual that the XM receiver is a separate part of the stereo so it is absolutely possible that your stereo doesn't have it. :) At least now you know you can use the AUX port in the front if you prefer.

Later...
    Ron
    Ron, when it comes to music and radios , I need all the help I can get.I'm not 'big' into the radio stuff, thats why I asked about that $6.95 XM stuff.I guess your right , i thought i did have the Fm 1 and 2..just checked , your right...I must have the 'stripped' down version of the SS, which is fine with me...makes it more valuable because of it's rarity! As long as I have the V-8...I'm happy...I listen to mostly Am sports, and FM oldies...but I do enjoy channel 005 on my wifes XM....the oldies. As far as the MP3 player stuff....what is it?..is that the Ipod thing?...showin my age now... :sick:
    Bryan,
    I'm not far behind ya in age. I'm sure lookin' back, 40 was just yesterday for you.
    An MP3 CD is a CD you create on your computer. It gives you the capability to have several CDs worth of music on just one CD. In my sister's case, I copied all of her favorite CDs onto one. She keeps it loaded in her car and switches between albums just as easily as switching between songs on a regular CD player. Does that make sense?
    In order to create an MP3 CD, you basically just need a CD burner on your computer and some CDs you like to listen to. Everything else you can get for free. You mentioned your son wasn't impressed by your stereo. Sounds like he may be into music enough to explain the details to you but if not, I'd be happy to step you through.
    You didn't actually confirm one way or the other if you had the XM band on your radio so what's the official word? :)

Talk later,
    Ron
    Ron,
    No XM band, just FM and AM..the only thing I get is when I push the "cap' button, it says "XM Feature" on the radio screen, nothing else anywhere. Yeah, I'll get my son in law to help me with the mp3 thing if I want it.......thanks for your help on this one.
  • kmo89kmo89 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone i have an 2000 impala and i need to know which wire from the wiring harness is the 12v acc aka ignition 12v constant what color are the two wires. Did any one straight wire the aftermarket cd player to the car? (Thats going with out buying the 120.00 wiring harness for the impala) any info is needed asap I'm riding music less in the impala Thanks
  • lineman3lineman3 Member Posts: 12
    I know this is different, however has anyone had a problem with their radio not keeping time? Mine is an 06 LTZ and I noticed it lost the time set the other day. I have only had it a week and its still under warranty, any ideas?
    How much time are you talking? Was it off by a couple minutes or had it lost hours or even days?

If it's off by a small amount, you'd probably have to check to see if it's within "reasonable" limits set by GM. If it's losing time fast enough to be noticed within a couple days, I'd argue until they fixed it. Mine loses about a minute every month or two.

If your clock lost time completely, then you likely have a more serious problem. Does it happen everytime? Occasionally? Work with it a little and get some data before you go to the dealer. It will make your visit go a whole lot better if you can answer those questions first.

Do you have the six-disk changer? Just curious.
  • pbaranellopbaranello Member Posts: 36
    I have the opposite problem.

I have a 2006 3LT with the standard AM/FM radio but I do have XM, ipod all of which works great except the power on the standard radio is less than what I would expect especially when playing CD's.

MY radio clock advances by 2 or 3 minutes every 3 months. I set it and the next month I am a minute ahead, 2 months 2 minutes ahead, etc.
    Yeah...many complaints over the power of the new "black tie" stereos compared to stereos in older cars. I have the Bose system and agree that it's underpowered (and just plain awful for a "premium" sound system).

Your clock sounds like mine. It probably isn't bad enough for them to agree to replace it but if you're willing to fight, you might get it done.
  • lineman3lineman3 Member Posts: 12
    I would have to check it. It read 4:37 when it was 11:36, or something real close. I don't know if it advanced or lost as I didn't really pay attention to the am/pm. I will watch it though. I think I parked the car for 3 or 4 days when this happened. It is the Bose premium sound system if that makes any difference.
    Bose is unlikely to have anything to do with the clock. I was just asking for personal reasons since I have it too. Keep an eye on it and good luck. ;)

By the way, there have been a few people with unexplained battery drainage. Hopefully you aren't heading for that but something else to watch for.
    It is probably normal to lose or gain 1-2 minutes per month.

Most of radios, time keeping unit is actually derived from the oscillator circuit that run the radio computer. This circuit has tolerances (from part to part, operating temperature and aging of the circuit).

If the vehicle has some sort of GPS or embedded cell phone, then the accurate time could be provided to radio to display. And that would solve the problem.

jt
    Your current radio has two black body connectors. The bigger one (24 pins) contains Power(12V permanent), Ignition (aka. 12 V Acc) , Ground and 4 pairs of speaker outputs plus others.

Here is the description for this connector. Check my info out using a simple Multimeter (voltage and resistance) for sure.

A1: Vehicle bus (not needed for aftermarket radio)
    A2: vehicle bus
    A3: switched 12V (output from radio when radio is on)
    A4: ?
    A5: Ground (?) same as radio metal chasis.
    A6: Ref voltage for Steering wheel Control? Not needed
    A7: ?; not needed for aftermarket radio
    A8: Left Front + (one end of this Left Front speaker)
    A9: Left Front - (other end of this speaker)
    A10: Right Rear - (speaker)
    A11: Right Rear + (speaker)
    A12: Ground ? (check to see any black wire on the male connector)
    B1: Battery or 12 Permanent" This is the main power to radio. It is either red or orange in color.
    B2: Ignition or 12V acc. This has 12V when igntion is on
    B3: 12V switched output. This could be used for antenna module of Power amp. If it is for antenna module, you will need it to get RF signal to the radio.
    B4: DIMMER
    B5: ?
    B6: Amp sense (for Audio Amp interface)
    B7: ?; not needed
    B8: Left Rear + (speaker)
    B9: left Rear - (speaker)
    B10: Right Front - (speaker)
    B11: Right Front + (speaker)
    B12: Park light (12V when Light is on)

So from the above, to get an aftermarket radio to work with your wireharness, you will need :

1. Battery (B1)
    2. Ign or acc (B2)
    3. Ground (A5 or A12)
    4. Four pairs of speakers

If you want to use vehicle antenna, then B3 (12V) must be provided to the vehicle antenna module. This should not be connected to B1 since it will drain your battery down in no time. if the aftermarket radio has the 12V output, then use it. If not, connect B2 and B3 may do the job?

So if you have a simple voltmeter, measure this vehicle connector to verify my info.

jt
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    Just saw the post on the clock issue. My clock gained 4-5 minutes in two months. I mentioned it to the service advisor and they said they didn't find anything wrong and just reset it to the correct time.

On another note, I had the car in for service last week. I picked it up after work and the next day the clock was displaying military time. Don't know why it switched. I would have thought that the battery had been unplugged and they reset the clock incorrectly, but the stations were not reset to factory settings.
    I HATE it when they say they "checked it out but found nothing wrong" with something like that. Of course nothing was VISIBLY wrong, the clock works, dumb@ss, it just doesn't keep time. They could tell you when you mention the problem what the limits are on the clock before they can justify replacing it. Sometime it's really frustrating to be so smart. ;) :P