Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• carpinocarpino Member Posts: 1
    yeah i had a plymoth van in my shop doing the same thing and the guy changed both belts but it still made the noise. What your gunna hve to do is uhhh get a new a/c pump but before you change it make sure you drain your lines through the valves. hope that helps but does anyone know where to get suicide doors for a 1995 dodge neon, im kinda working on something.
  • mark78mark78 Member Posts: 1
    Recently did a top end job on this 95 Neon SOHC 2 liter. Had it about 95% of the way back together and had to drive it around to the new driveway where I moved to less than 100 yards fomr the old place. The engine was still minus both belts, and the air cleaner and some vacuum lines but was running ok in the driveway. When I went to drive it around to the new driveway I made a right turn and suddenly the engine died on me... was able to coast to the new parking spot. Just can't figure out what made this engine die this way, no loose connectors anywhere or obvious problems, I even double checked the timming belt and its dead on the marks. After looking over the wiring diagram I noticed there is a power steering pressure sensor and that when I made that right hand turn into the new drive the steering hgear box peobably lost pressure and shut down the engine..... today I shorted that switch out but it still won't start! I'm about to give up on this one. It was running just fine till I brought it around to the new place. When you crank the engine over it sounds uneven and on inspecting the plugs only the #4 cylinder seems to be getting anything from the injectors. There is also a light green wire with I believe an orange or red stripe, at the end of that wire there is a white nylon push on connector. This is right above the cam position sensor and I can't find an attaching point for it. I even took photos of this engine before I tore it down... you can see that wire but not its attaching point. The air cleaner is still off too, but no place there for this wire. I must live over an Indian Burial ground!

Mark
  • eeejeeej Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I will go that route too!!!!!
  • sirwilliamsirwilliam Member Posts: 2
    My stepdaughter has a 1995 Dodge neon sport with 168000 miles. The other day her engine started make noise and stranded her on the way to school. Her dad had it towed to the wrecking yard where he works. He did some minor investigating and found it was a possible blown head gasket. If the engine needs replaced he can get a used one through he place of business. He said the only problem was the 1995 was a model where only a 1995 engine would fit and when they find one it would be approx $1750. Does anyone know if there are other options short of rebuilding? I do not have access to the car now but the vin# is 1B3ES67CXSD580633.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also ask in the discussion at this link: Got a Quick, Technical Question? - good luck.
  • knightridknightrid Member Posts: 4
    Hi, we just bought this car for my step-daughter, and everything DID work. NOBODY drove the car, but now that it has been raining here ( pennsylvania ) for a while, the radio doesnt work, and the wipers wont work EXCEPT when you pull the handle down to use the fluid - then they do work :/

I thought it would be a fuse problem, but my fatehr-in-law has been looking at it and says it is not.

Would anyone have ANY idea what is going on that would cause these things to act the way they are?

Thanx
    Mike

Oh - is there a way to make this forum look like a regular forum setup? I see posts and responses all thrown together, and it gets confusing :)
    ok - the dome light doesnt work either....ARGH

this is what we get for not having money to buy an expensive car for her I guess...*sigh*

Mike
    ok - wipers work, and probably always did - father in law turned the knob for the delay rather than turning the wipers actually on :confuse:

Dome light - maybe never worked - kid doesnt have a clue if it ever came on or not.

radio - still dead, not a fuse, worked when she parked it, now it doesnt. REALLY dont want to rip the dash apart for these crappy radio installations they do at the factory, but if I have to - argh...

Well since i narrowed it down to basically the radio just dying, anyone have any ideas now? I mena NOTHING works on it - time or anything..totally black and dead.

Mike
  • arcadefreak36arcadefreak36 Member Posts: 49
    Easy removal of the radio if it's a stock chrysler radio. The cover that's over it just pops off. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry it off then there are two screws to remove and you can easily pull the radio out. Take the antenna wire off and also remove the grey plug as well as the black plug and you can junk the radio. If this is the original stock radio than you are lucky it lasted 10 years. If it's an aftermarket then reply back and we'll discuss it further as to the removal. My sister's radio died in her 97 Neon and I went and bought a stock cassette player off of eBay for $30 dollars and I installed the stock radio from my 99 Neon into her 97. I removed hers, installed my old one and was done in 15 minutes flat.
    Like I said, stock is easy, aftermarket is a little more complicated.

-Rick
    Well heck, that does sound easy. I was expecting to have to pop the side panels off next to the radio, then get up behind it and remove a screw ( my plymouth laser had it in that way - argh )...I might just pop that baby out and see if the radio just died all of a sudden...

THANX!!

Mike
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    I'm considering buying a new 05 or 06 Neon with the automatic
    tranny. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has bought
    one of these model year cars. My questions are:

1) Does the automatic tranny work well and shift smoothly?
    2) Is the car quiet at freeway cruising speed?
    3) How good is the stereo system either base or upgraded?
  • beachbrumbeachbrum Member Posts: 16
    How difficult for an average joe like me to install a cold air intake in my 2001 RT. Also, I was wondering if there were any recommendations as to which product would be the best.

Thanks in advance!
  • beachbrumbeachbrum Member Posts: 16
    I hit some road debris recently and it jammed my right fog lamp back into the bumper and broke the plastic housing that the light goes through into the lamp. Now the lamp kind of hangs there loose and most of the plastic housing busted right off.

Anyhow, I'd like to replace it and it seems rather simple. Has anyone ever worked in this area and might have a suggestion?

Also, I was looking for a part number too so I can order it from Mopar.

Thanks all for your help
  • neonblue95neonblue95 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1995 noen sport 4 dr, plymouth i wanted to do a civic conversion in the front i have all the parts i need it it possible?? need to know asap thanx
  • neonblue95neonblue95 Member Posts: 2
    dose this thing actually work do people reply?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I just bought a new 2005 Neon SXT with the 4 speed auto. It was made in 9/05, the last month of production for Neon. There will be no 2006 model.

Anyway to answer your question the automatic shifts fairly smooth, not as smooth as the 5 speed auto in my Ram but it doesnt snap your neck when it shifts. It is supposed to be adaptive to your driving style but I find it shifts smoother when you accelerate briskly. If you drive it slow like a granny (breaking in the new engine) the shifts are fairly firm feeling going from 1st to second.

The stereo sounded OK, the SXT came with 6 speakers and an AM/FM CD radio. I swapped it out with a Pioneer. Why? because the Neon I traded had it in it and I took it out and reinstalled the old radio that it came with. Also I wanted my MP3 player back and the factory radio does not do MP3s.

The car is much quieter than the Neon it replaced. At 75mph the tach shows about 3000 rpm so the engine is fairly busy at interstate speeds but not too intrusive. It is quiet enough you can hear the slight wind noise caused by the sideview mirrors.

I got a super deal on mine. Lithia Dodge in Omaha had a Neon sale and the 1st 10 Neons to be sold were $9999.99. All were basic SXTs with no other options than the spoiler. Dodge shorted them by 2 basic SXTs so there were 2 automatics available for $10,999. They had the automatics and cruise so were a better deal at least for me. I got one of those. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • 1998neonrt1998neonrt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Neon R/T. When I use the left turn signal the indicator light on the dash flashes at about 5 times the normal rate. Both front signal lights are flashing as well. The rear light is not flashing. I replaced the bulb which didn't help the problem. The owners manual says that it the lights don't flash at all then it could be a bulb but does not reference the rapid flashing. The right turn signals work fine. Does anyone have an ideal as to what may be causing this problem.

Thanks!!
    Thanks for the descriptive info, especially on the temperment of the
    Neon's automatic tranny.

You mentioned you replaced your stereo system. Was stereo system
    that came with the car the base stereo or upgraded one?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    "Was stereo system
    that came with the car the base stereo or upgraded one? "
    Yes, the SXT gets a CD player over the base Cassette radio. It however was not the big bucks audio option with the sub woofer. Like I said the radio was fine and I'd have left it alone if it played MP3s. However I had the Pioneer I had put in the 99 I traded after its radio died. It does MP3 and sound great with the stock factory 6 speakers.
  • peter23peter23 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my Neon inspected and slightly repaired. Now the check engine light comes on with code 34 (Speed Control solenoid Circuits problem). I'm trying to get thru to the repair shop, but is this anything to worry about?
    Thanks!
  • ukdaveukdave Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same prob and the garage changed the torque solenoid but the problem stayed. They think it may be the ECU or an electrical problem. I'll let you know if I get any joy. If you have any luck I would appreciate any news.
    Thanks
  • kylemankyleman Member Posts: 1
    Sorry, Late reply. Easy enough if you have small hands. 3 10mm hex nuts hold the assembly to the wind dam. The real trouble's going to be finding one. My local Dodge dealer wants $102 each. The standard Neon light will not work. Different profile and plug. Part numbers from the dealer are:
    RH (passenger side) 5288592AD
    LH 5288593AD
  • misfit578misfit578 Member Posts: 1
    i have a gen 1 97 neon and wanted to know if i could bolt on the srt parts. Bumpercovers hood trunk so on and so forth also the srt4 exhaustnot including header just exhaust from header back? any help would be appreciated...
  • terribleneonterribleneon Member Posts: 1
    Ive seen front and rear strut braces on Ebay for 03-05 SRT4s. Would these fit an 03 SXT?

Just Wondering
  • nikkifinnnikkifinn Member Posts: 2
    This happened to me a couple years back to my 2001 dodge Neon. I took it to the dodge dealer 3 times and was ready to apply the lemon law. They were never able to find the problem after the 3rd trip there they claimed they changed some wires and it never happened again. They claimed they never had seen this problem before. Months later my own mechanic changed my battery and found my cables were a mess and needed to be replaced. Possibly this contributed to the problem? I will never know, but it has not happened again. Good luck and do some research, I have seen others complaining about this problem.
  • grahamb1grahamb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have just read your message and I have a Chrysler Neon LX UK model 1996. I have the same problem of the battery draining. It has a new battery which is a standard american battery and it has been into a UK dealer and they have told me there is nothing wrong with the charging system. This is a recurring problem in which I find often I have to charge the battery for the car to start. Could you please let me know in more detail if you think your problem is similar to mine, and what your american dealer did to rectify it.
  • neondriver37neondriver37 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 2.0 neon that was started to warm up for me one morning and it quit while i was in the house now the old girl wont hit a lick its getting gas and a good spark what could have happened to her :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • neonngrneonngr Member Posts: 1
    I recently installed a white speedometer glow gauge.. I thought I knew what to hook it up to, but I was mistaken.. does anyone know what wires I need to run the glow gauge into to get it working? Also I've noticed that the gauges are reading off a bit (ex: speed is about 10 miles faster than actual speed) does anyone know how to reset this? Thanks for the help

T
  • rita7854rita7854 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter who is 17 years old, owns a 1999 Plymouth Neon that from what I understand overheated. When she arrived at her boyfriend's house, he added water to the reservoir while the engine was hot and WITHOUT the engine running. He then added some oil -- about a half of a quart. Once she cranked the engine up it began making a noise that I would describe as growling. The noise reminds me of bearings grinding without lubrication. Today, I went out to check the oil and water and it does seem to be very low on water and the oil is very thin and smells stongly of gasoline. If anyone can please make any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. She is a high school senior with only a part time job and needless to say she is very upset because her car is messed up.

Thanks a bunch!!

Rita
  • angel1982angel1982 Member Posts: 4
    check the door jamb switches they may be broken which will show fuse and its because the jamb switches dont recognize that the doors closed mine did it until I bought door jamb switches at auto zone for 7.97 :)
    camshaft sensor or valve cover gasket rarely rear main sealbut sometimes
    just had the engine and transmission replaced on my 00 neon loud knocking in the engine and shifting hard 3 oil leaks to
    :cry:
    new engine and transmission new valve cover gasket new camshaft seal and rear main seal thank god it happened less than a month after I bought the car and the dealership replaced it with no charge :D
  • badmotorsctrrbadmotorsctrr Member Posts: 1
    I'v got a 98 neon expresso, and Im having the same belt slipping, and im wondering if there is an easy way to adjust the tension on it... It seems loose ;o The belt in question slips more when I turn the air on, and it just started happening when it got real cold outside.
    It's not an easy job. My mechanic took 2 hours to do both of my belts last January. If their slipping, chances are they are worn out a bit and will need to be replaced. My mechanic charged me $180 to do both belts.
    Hello,

I'm considering buying a new Neon 5 speed manual SXT
    with the "Kicker Live Sound" system that I heard was being made available as an option for the SXT 2005 model year.

I was wondering it any Neon owners who have a newer Neon
    2003 to 2005 would reply on how they like their car and
    how reliable it has been. If any of you have a Neon with
    the "Kicker Live" stereo system I'd like to know if it's
    a great sounding system.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I have a 2004 SXT with 35,000 miles Not a single problem,except the cd player was eating cd's for lunch. It was replaced for free and the cd was returned to us. Can't beat that! This is my 3rd Neon. We have a 96 with 176,000 on the original engine. We had a 2001 and drove it for 25,000 miles, sold it. The 2004 is reliable and gets 29 to 32 mpg. even our old 96 gets 27 to 31. Its not a peppy as the new one. The 05 is almost exactally the same as the 04. The kicker is rather costly is it not? Merry Christmas.

Farout
    Farout,

Thanks for the info. Aside from the CD player eating CD's
    problem, are you please with the overall stereo system
    sound quality?
  • monkey7312monkey7312 Member Posts: 26
    My neon now has about 110,000 miles on it and I'm worried that I will have expensive repairs soon. The trunk leaks water and the carpet is damp under the seats (mildew smell). The paint is starting to come off in a few spots. And my engine makes a weird knocking/chattering noise when I start it in the cold. Would it be a good idea for me to get these things fixed or should I trade it in soon? I know nothing about fixing cars and I need to make sure I have a reliable car. This car has never broke down, but it doesn't seem to be very well built and over 100k is a lot for a domestic. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or any stories about their neon?
    What year is your Neon? Right now I have a 99 Neon and it has 103,000 on it and I plan on having the timing belt done when I receive my taxes. As long as your Neon isn't a rust bucket, meaning there are no holes in the floor boards or trunk then I would invest a few dollars in it. I had a 95 and I put 135,000 on it before I traded it in. I only traded it because my dealer made me a great deal towards another car instead of investing money into my car. It's common for a Neon to knock in cold weather. My Neon will knock when it gets below 32 degrees out even after I've had my oil changed. It wouldn't hurt to have a mechanic check it out and also crawl under your Neon and check for holes that might be causing your mats to get wet. If your mats aren't wet and only smell from mildew you can remove your seats and hit your carpets with a good carpet cleaner to get rid of that mildew smell.
    Hope that helped you out.
  • monkey7312monkey7312 Member Posts: 26
    thanks a lot!
    mine's the same year with the same mileage... :) the '99 model seems to be better than the other ones. I was just asking to make sure because of all the horror stories I've heard about older neons. My car just sounds really weird in the cold... the noise is loud and it sounds like a diesel engine. I guess I won't worry too much if this is common. As long as the water hasn't caused any damage I should be ok.
  • btrflybtrfly Member Posts: 21
    I am only get about 20 miles a gallon??! When I first bought the car, it was lunging at lights but of course, didn't do it at the shop. That has stopped but now my gas mileage is worse??! Is this a really a 12.5 tank? And my tires are properly inflated. What's everyone else averaging? I bought the neon over an impala based on the better alleged gas mileage! The service person's response has been it's the EPA's fault. Maybe that's why they were offering the free gas for 2 years?
    Also, I really dont' see why all manufacturers can't use the 100k miles spark plugs? I'm seeing quite a few differences between the neon and my old 1996 cavalier and they aren't for the better!
  • btrflybtrfly Member Posts: 21
    Ahh, so now I see this and that's what mine was doing I guess was "knocking" in the cold tho it was no colder than 55 in southern cal! I really didnt' think that was good for a car tho?
  • blackdragoblackdrago Member Posts: 2
    about a month ago my 1995 plymouth neon started to have problems like the clutch was going so i knew that i would need a new one and i did and i put that in but a few days later i started the car and i went to put the car in gear the engine made this horrible noise. so i had sum one come outside with me and i had them pop the hood and i told him to start the car everything was fine until when i told him to put it in gear i saw that when he tried shift the engine would jump up and thrust forward but its fine if you go to put it in gear when the car is off. I've never seen an engine do that before. I looked at my repair manual and read that it might be my engine mounts but i dont know if it is. So if any of you have any idea what might cause an engine to do that i would appreciate you telling me.
  • blackdragoblackdrago Member Posts: 2
    i had that same problem and i had to put a new transmision in and a new clutch too
  • tlaramaytlaramay Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar electrical problem. I have a 95 Neon and I just had the motor replaced. It was running fine for a little while and then after sitting for a few days, wouldn't turn over. I mean it wouldn't even crank. All you'd hear is a clicking, which I know is the starter selenoid. After trying to jump it, I took the battery out and had it charged. First things first. Make sure you have juice. In the process of removing the battery, I noticed a ground cable eyelet just hanging there. The cable appears to be a secondary ground of some sort, but I'm unsure where it's supposed to be connected? Also, in the process of trying to jump start the vehicle I noticed that the electrical system was going nuts. Flickering lights, dome light that would come on and go off again for no reason.
    Long story short, can anybody give me some guidance as to where this ground cable should be connected? Thanks a ton.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    We have a 2004 SXT. Consistently we get 31 to 32mpg. At times when we have 4 in the car and a full trunk, going against the wing we have gotten as bad as 28mpg. We use BP 87 octane and mobil 5-30 at the dealer. I change oil every 4 to 5,000 miles. We have 35,000 miles on it with original plugs. I dumped the oe tires at 8,000 miles and put M&S Cooper 195 65 15 tires. They lasted until 35,100miles. We have only had a problem with the CD player and that was replaced. This is our 3rd Neon. We still own a 1996 Dodge Neon Highline with 177,000 orignal miles. We took out the extended service Contract. At the end of the 100,000 mile sercice contract, Dodge has spent more on repairs than we paid for the car! From 100,000 mile there has been only minor repair except for the repainting which was $1,600. We still get 31mpg with it. our other neon was a 2001 we kept until it had 21,000 miles.
    In all we have has 14 Chrysler products and have had good experiences, so we stick with the DC brand. We now have a Jeep Liberty Deisel, a 1996 Neon, and a2004 Neon, all 4 cyclenders and good mpg on all. Go to the dealer and say you want a zone rep to come and look at it.

Farout
  • freewandererfreewanderer Member Posts: 1
    so we got this 96 neon, tuned it up, and it runs great, except for a few quirks. one of them is that the instruments seem to only come on when they feel like it, so it's impossible to tell how many miles are actually on it. but it was getting great MPG (30-32 highway) until something happened with the o2 sensors which dropped it to 2/3 of that. we got that fixed, then a few months later the MPG worsened again, and this time we simply reset the computer and that set it back to a more acceptible rate (25-27 highway). somehow the communication between the sensor and the computer was jumbled, and the car was using too much fuel :confuse: . so my question now is, should i consider the problem fixed, even though my mileage is still a bit worse than it had been, and if so, what can i do (besides basics like air filter replacement) to get better mileage? really it's a miracle it runs at all, since we've been all over the country with it.
  • neonrainbowneonrainbow Member Posts: 1
    Hi and thank you for allowing me this oppurtunity to ask a question. my daughter has a 98 Neon with an emission problem.it was checked at Auto Zone and told that she has a problem with an APLSOL Selonoid.we have no idea what this is . if anyone could help with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance for any help you can give

tom
    The "apl sol solenoid circiut" is car talk for the battery temp sensor. Something might have gotten coroded and or cut underneath your battery tray. Take your battery out and look underneath it. Hope that helps you out. :D