Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• wilson26wilson26 Member Posts: 6
    Oh and also I am not taking the rebate..I think that 2.9% interest would work better as far as lowering the monthly payment.
  • importfighterimportfighter Member Posts: 35
    click here: www.4adodge.com/neon/frameset_neon.html
    those are the upgrade factory ALLOY wheels on that red neon, they should be on the car you are checking out at the dealer. They are really nice, get em. =^]
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Make sure before taking the financing instead of rebate you check what your local Bank or Credit union's rates are and then compare the monthly payments based on equal length loans, one with Price-$1500 and credit union rate the other price with 2.9 chrysler rate. Then consider that you would have to keep the car the full length of the loan to take full advantage of the financing deal. If you decide to bail on it and get somthing better (Neon SRT) in 3 years you would be way better off taking the $1500 rebate in the first place.

The alloy wheels are very good looking on the current neon, my 98 wheels are ulgy and I can't beleive I paid an extra $300 for these 14" syling nighmares, Oh well they will look good with the studded snows for winter when I buy a new set of 16" next spring.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My friend's Neon has alloy wheels on it and it's Patroit Blue, so the car is nice looking. The only thing I hate about them is that they are always covered with brake dust.

I have to take the car in for service again (as a favor, of course. I am too nice sometimes) :) on Tuesday. They are replacing the peeling dash pad, because they had to order the part. Also, I have another concern. I wanted taking off quickly from a stoplight today (to change lanes in front of someone), and from a standstill, I floored the pedal all the way down. No rubber laid (never does anyway, unless turning), but the engine made this HARD tapping noise, like it had no oil. I even pulled over shortly after and checked the oil and it was at perfect level. It baffles me. It doesn't matter that this car is such a lemon, because after Tuesday (hopefully), it will be someone else's lemon. We pick up our 2000 Mazda Protege ES then, and this is going to go bye-bye. I will be glad to see it go. Too bad its reliability sucks, because it's a pretty nicely styled and executed car for the price my friend paid ($14,000 fully loaded on 12/31/1999).
    Another thing I noticed about Mazda's, Honda's, Toyota's, etc is that their compact cars are not as big as a neon. I parked my 98 neon next to a new mazda 626 today and the neon looks bigger, wider for sure, maybe a little shorter. If Mazda's 626 is one of their bigger cars the protege must be tiny compared to a neon. The wide stance is what makes the neon really look (and handle) good. This is best demonstrated by how the neon's used to dominate the miata's in SCCA solo racing, they finally had to move the classes around to make things even out.

That's Dodges life story in racing... read the rules, make something completely within the rules, dominate the competition, listen to the competition whine, have your stuff outlawed by rule changes. I'm sure the vipers are the next thing to be pushed out of GTS endurance racing after dominating Lemans again. The new winston cup motor already has Ford and Chevy whining before it's ever been run on a track. Heres a hint to the competition, instead of trying to make our stuff worse, how about just concentration on making your crap better.
    Maybe my friend just got a bad Neon (it is an early production model), so I will leave it at that. It's also amazing when I took it in for service, there were 6 other Neons there, along with about 10 or so Durangos. I just don't like Dodge's reliability here lately. And I am not the only one to have problems with a Chrysler-made vehicle.

Also, the Protege, Civic, Sentra, and Corolla are among the most reliable cars on the market. Can't say that about a Neon now or ever.

And FYI: The Neon is .4 inches longer than a Mazda Protege and about a foot or so shorter than a 626. Check out the specs right here on Edmund's.
    That's one thing I like about the Neon: It feels like a larger car when riding in it and driving it.

Also, the Protege is a little roomier inside than the Neon too. I have ridden the same passenger in both cars (5'8 female) and she always asks the front passenger to move up his seat in the Neon because she is scrunched a bit. But she never asks that same question in the Protege. Case closed.
    Regarding your last statement, maybe the seat in the neon WAS A BIT FARTHER BACK THAN THE PROTEGES' WAS at the time. HELLO!!!!
    Nope. The front seats in both cars stay all the way back all the time. Also, with the Neon, it even looks a bit smaller (in leg room) when compared to the Protege.
    That was kinda cold. If you don't believe my stories, I don't know what to tell you. The car my friend has is a 2000 Dodge Neon ES sedan, patriot blue with everything but CD, ABS, and sunroof. I wish it were more reliable, because I like it. But the Protege and Neon have different pluses and minuses. I am not trying to down Dodge, just voicing my bad experience. Isn't this forum for voicing experiences and opinions??? Well there you go then. Thanks.
    The neon is 13" shorter but taller and wider. If you take the stats for length x width x height the neon is bigger then the 626. I realize niether car is a cube (although the 626 is close) this may be why the neon seems bigger then the 626. As for back seat size I've had 4 navy guys in the back of a rented neon going 20 miles to a hotel in Hawaii, yeh they asked to move both seats up a bit too. I didn't say the accord, corrolla, sentra?, or protege had poor reliability just that they are smaller then the chrysler competition. It seems strange the accord is always compared to the concorde when somebody is comparison shopping. This is because they are close in price not size, the Stratus is the accurate comparison but it being over $5000 less then a Accord I would expect it's reliability to be a little lower. Mabe if Honda made a car with size and power then it wouldn't seem so durable, oh wait that already happened, the Odyssey, an epic story of tragedy. Then when you look at common problems of accords (distributers) and how much the repair is (over $500) and the fact this leaves you stranded (unlike a neon headgasket that can go for months) they dodn't seem that great. A distributer seems minor compared to a headgasket but when you look at it closely the truth comes out.
  • mobaymobay Member Posts: 45
    HI,

You like the Neon?

Follow me on this.

I think that okra is the one of the slimiest vegetables, on earth. It's consistency turns me off, and I don't like the smell. I prefer corn or carrots as they are of a different color, smell, and taste.I will never eat okra or buy it.

But you know something, I really do like okra, I'm only trying to voice my opinion .

After all of your posts, the last one to Copperhead from you has me wondering on the logic of your statement "I wish it were more reliable...,because I like it".

I have read several of your posts, and I come away with the feeling that you do NOT like the NEON.There is nothing at all wrong with that, you're expressing an opinion.I would challenge anyone to read all of your posts ,and say"yeah., deep down inside, this guy really likes Neons." I don't think they would.

I can't swallow (like okra's) your last post's message.
    You have a right to voice your opinion,but try to be forthright.

Help me out here,deep down inside.., you really like the Neon?
    I like the way the car rides, I like the design, and it has pretty good power and fuel economy. But refinement and reliability are way lacking. I just wish the mechanicals in the car were better and it was a little quieter and refined. Also, dealer service improvement would be greatly appreciated too.
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Of course you have the right to express your opinion,you may not like the Neon,and that´s fine with me.
    I agree it needs improvment,so all the cars,but I feel you overreact in your opinion.

Nothing personal.
  • wilson26wilson26 Member Posts: 6
    Well I bought the Neon. I think i got ripped off..but of course that is my luck..there were so many numbers flying around I got confused. I think they paid of my piece of crap Honda..that was worth nothing...for all 2600..then I paid full sticker price...14175. Oh well.
    I couldn't get the ES the payments were too high...but I am happy with the base model and they are putting in a Cd changer for no extra cost..so they say..well I just hope nothing goes wrong with the car.
    HI,

Chin up, you got the car, and a new car is kinda nice to have.I know how happy I was to get a new car last May when I picked up my 5spd. ES.

Was it an auto or a 5spd.?

The options that the ES has are nice, but can be added (some!) later. Alloy wheels can also be added as many companies make them. Eventually you can get wider/larger wheels and tires.

Let me know how you like it.
    I got the mopar polished aluminum wheels from the accessory guide, the ones for 700 dollars for free. I ordered my neon with the factory alloy wheels and didnt get them (along with the cd player and light group) boy was I ticked off! I bitched to the general manager about how my order was all #@$%#$% up and I said at least help me get some alloy wheels and he said just pick from the accessory guide and it's yours-talk about an early christmas!!! I felt like a kid again. Now my dealer was a 5 star dealer so I can tell you they will do ANYTHING to assist you if you are dissatisfied-they also sent me a ballon with candy!! Speaking of accessories, does anyone have the rear spoiler from the factory? It accents the neon really nice. Wilson26-you did great for a first time buyer,really you did. Be glad your crappy Honda is gone and you are now driving a new car! I would'nt mind at all if my neon was a base model, just all the more reason to accessorize it! Take care of it, new cars are too expensive today to abuse like alot of people do. Your 21 years old with a new car-BE HAPPY =^]. Oh by the way that price isnt too bad so dont worry you did ok. So what color is it? Hows it going Mobay?
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    I was having post buyers anxiety..that what if...feeling. You made me feel better.
    I love the car. I can't wait to get my cd player. It is blue!
    I agree with you about driving on the back roads-I look for every chance I get to drive there. I'm only 29(not tooooo old)=^] but I still love country roads as well, I think the neon does too. And I also agree with you (scary isnt it?), about how people think of their cars today-only as transportation. Well some people arent like that, they care for their cars and treat them as an extension of themselves. It's a good thing we dont have Firestone's on our neons!! Theyre junk!! I dont know if wilson has a auto or 5spd. Maybe she'll read this post and let us know. That blue she has is a nice color. Have you seen any R/T's on the road yet?
    Hi,

Nope, not a one. They actually won't be in showrooms until late September or October. I'd actually consider getting one, but my 2K has been so rock solid and worry-free that I'm afraid to trade it in. Finally found a high flow filter that can fit the 2K, AND was locally availble.This filter plus the resonator box bypass=great pulling power increase.

Had to erase the memory in the computer..., as usual, in order for it to learn new fuel,air,spark ratios

It's called Maxspeed and is similar to the K&N. Actually the element seems to be from a K&N, and it uses the same recharging kit.

Well, as a night owl (YIKES!! it's 3AM) gotta go to bed. I'm on holiday so, I can stay up.

I would like to know though what type of transmission Wilson26 got.
    I guess she is to busy driving her new car not wasting time with us loosers!
    I think you're right hersbird, she's got a new "friend" now! Mobay, rumor has it that the R/T's and the ACR are scheduled to begin production on Aug 21st. I just found that out yesterday after you said they wont be in showroom s until late Sep, so I cant wait. I just want to go sit in one and possibly test drive it if theyll let me. =^] Also I'm starting to see some PT Cruisers around here so they're finally being delivered now, I have to say they look great-I did sit in one the other month and they were pretty impressive inside, very similar to the neon actually but the gauges are a bit nostalgic. I can see the PT Cruiser as a major aftermarket accessory car. Anywho, enough of the Crusier.
  • bventbvent Member Posts: 5
    Anyone who lives in the Texas, Georgia, Florida, or California and is looking for the best deal on a new Neon, should check out Carmax. You can access their inventory (with features and pricing) on-line @ www.carmax.com. They sell theirs below invoice even before the $1500 rebate. Or you can lose the rebate and qualify for 5.9% financing for 60 months. It's worth checking out, and they're great since their price is set and there is no pressure. It seems a lot better than the regular experience.
  • edswordsedswords Member Posts: 47
    If you request the .9% financing most dealers will refrain from discounts off the sticker price.

I bought my 2000 Neon last year and paid close to sticker but got the .9% over 4 years. If you have the .9 financing you will really appreciate it after your first year when you have paid off a significant portion of your balance.

I just got back from a 1 week vacation to the shore. The Neon performed great. I bought the factory luggage rack for 200 dollars in case all of our luggage didnt fit but it turns out we didnt need it. The Neon trunk is quite large.

We got great mileage (34-36 mpg)had plenty of passing power and room for all of our stuff for one week.
    I have a question about my friend's Neon (we share it). The door panels seem to be sensitive to having their "covering" stripped off or something. The passenger's door panel and one of the rear door panels are starting to peel (the vinyl-like covering stuff). Has anyone noticed this with their Neons? Also, has any of your dashboards started peeling at the edge right behind the steering wheel like ours did?

One more thing: I have a hard vibration when the car is put in reverse (automatic tranny) and idling. If the engine is hot or cold, AC on or off, the engine vibrates through the steering wheel. The service department told me it was normal for this car, because they were basically built cheap (his own words). Also, when I put the AC on and am "coasting" in stop-and-go traffic (5-10 mph), I notice the engine "surges" a little bit. The RPMs will increase from about 600 to 1200 without even touching the gas. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? And is all this vibration I am feeling normal too??? I would very much appreciate an answer. Thanks in advance.
    I think we've all heard enough about you're vibrations and peelings on your shared neon...do us all a favor and move on, I think I've picked up on your pattern here on this forum and frankly it is ridiculous already. Does anyone else see this? Help me out here. You've stated your case a billion times already and it's pointless.
    I was merely asking if anyone else's car did this.
    It's not that I am getting smart or anything. I want to know if anyone else's car is vibrating, because, as I said above, the dealer told me it was normal for these cars.

Also, I wanna know about the surge problem. It's not only annoying now, it's becoming a safety issue (almost caused me to rear-end a car).

And just because you, ImportFighter, are not having trouble with your Neon, doesn't mean someone else who is having trouble is lying.

Of course, this is an early-production model bought 12/31/1999. Of course, my friend's sister has a Neon (base- and my friend's is an ES) and she has never had trouble with it. She bought hers about a month or so before he bought his. So maybe he just got a lemon.
    Well I took my neon into the mazda dealer today to find out about all this vibration, BTW they are also a 5 star DC service shop. The guy said noboby has brought a neon in yet as most just go 2 miles to the dodge dealer but what the hell... he'd check it out. First he said he was really used to servicing the protoge and said said the exhaust of my neon did seem a little "growley" (I'm not certain on the spelling but those were his words.) So I took him on a test drive to let him feel the vibration. As we started pulling out he said, "you better get on it, traffic is coming." So I'm thinking, what those cars way down there? Oh well I guess he's just still thinking protoge. So I slip the clutch and start pulling for 6K, it's tough to keep tires glued in first but in the blink of an eye were chriping into second. After the shift to third I start to ask him if he's feeling it yet but I see the road up the canyon looks like a better test drive area and I got to get hard on the brakes and pull a quick left, the crappy goodyears wine but hold and we start back up though secound, thrird, fourth, and by now are way over the limit but need to back off to 60 for the twistys anyway. I pull over at the top of the canyon cause he says he really needs to feel it from the drivers position. Well 2 hours later he finially gives me my car back and says, "no way sir, those vibrations are NOT normall, I have driven many protoges and never experienced anything like that before." He reccommended I get some better 16" wheels and tires and put some negative camber into the front wheels. That should eliminate the weak link, my tires, and then bring it back to him for further testing. So I'm off to www.tirerack.com to do my homework. Your right vocus these Mazda service guys are great!
    HI,

First off, I agree with Importfighter that you have asked this question before. The wording of you posts seems to be suspect..,,eloquent, but suspect.Phrases like " The service department told me it was normal for this car, because they were basically built cheap(his own words)." What is the purpose of adding this except to implant a negative opinion of the Neon? Subterfuge to say the least, albeit, on an amatuer level.

Oh!.., I forgot.., my apologies! you really do like the Neon.You stated that in one of your previous posts

If your questions are answered, will repeating them on this BB, where the readership is narrow, accomplish anything? I've counted a total of 6-12 constant contributors , the rest are occasional people.This is therefore a fairly narrow group aside from lurkers, who read, but remain silent.

Therefore,if you had a social group of 6-12 people who were interacting on a constant basis, would not repetitive questions become annoying to these people? Something different please!

I will try however, to answer you questions in an attempt to help you.As for peeling of the dash and side panels, I've experienced none.

The vibration you speak of is more than likely caused by the engine mount rubbers. Neons tend to have idle vibration from the engine transmitted to the steering column. This may be due to the rigidity of the body. Chrysler has attempted to isolate the vibrations with various engine mount rubbers of different densities.

Unfortunately this also contributes to the "surge" you feel due to the mounts being less rigid , in an attempt to ensure smoother idle. I can feel this surge in my 5sp, if I am in parking lot in 1s,t and am caught in exiting traffic and have to stop and go. It is literally the engine flexing on the mounts. My idle is very smooth, with the occasional vibration here and there.I do not have an auto, however.

Another of the quirks of the Neon that I have accepted.For what it is worth, I had a 244 Volvo (one of the most popular versions ever sold,if not THE most popular), and it had engine shake. I won't even do into it's exhaust problems, but I had to live with the engine shake (occasional).

Once again this is just my observation. As usual, I eagerly await you response.My regards to your friend.
    I am going back to the dealer with the car on Tuesday in one last effort to get the car running right. The engine tap and vibration will likely be fixed by replacing the engine or mounts or something. If I don't get satisfaction this time, I am going to see what we can do concerning the lemon laws.
    ALSO HERE??????? I can´t believe,you are flaming against the neon in the stratus topic!!!

What´s going on with you,I´m sorry but I simply don´t buy your "stories",and your attitude.
    What are you doing in other Topics,speaking all kind of crap against the Neon,what kind of intentions do you have????Do your self a favor move on!!!
    I was in the Stratus forum, Copperhead, because the Stratus and Breeze share the same engine (base 2.0) with the Neon. And if you all bought this pieca-crap car and had all this trouble with it in the first 6 months, DON'T EVEN TELL ME you all wouldn't be complaining to anyone that would listen. True, it isn't my car, but it's annoying to have all these problems with it just the same.
    ONE FINAL TIME: YOU HAVE TWO CHOICES, KEEP THE CAR AND GET IT FIXED SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR LET THE LEMON LAWS TAKE OVER!!!!! WE ALLLLLLLL KNOW YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOU'RE NEON-WE'VE TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO STEP BY STEP UNTIL WE WERE BLUE IN THE FACE!YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO US BUT YOU DID'NT. YOU CONTINUE TO SPOONFEED US YOUR COMPLAINTS AS IF "WE" NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE (BELIEVE ME WE HAVE). OH BY THE WAY, WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT MY NEON HERE SO DONT WORRY WHETHER MY NEON IS RUNNING GREAT OR NOT. WE WERE TRYING TO HELP YOUUUUUU OUT, NOT ME. CANT YOU SEE WE ARE ALL FED UP WITH YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARD THIS CAR AND THE FACT THAT YOU WILL NOT FIX IT. FIX IT ALREADY!AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.BYE BYE NOW.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Uh-oh. Do I see a broken caps-lock button? ;)
    HI,

Nope, your not seeing a broken caps-lock button, just someone who has a right to shout. Hey Importfighter!, I agree with you, but don't let it get your blood pressure up.

There's an old saying about deception and crocodile tears.

Damn if I can remember it though!!!

Oh well,let him play, he's entertainment. I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt, but this is too obvious.
    I have started to write a post just like yours several times and deleted it.

I am very sceptical of some of the posts on this board by Neon bashers and have even told them on a couple of occassions that I dont believe them.

Some people have an axe to grind and enjoy eliciting hostile remarks from people who (like myself) are just here to share the Neon experience.

For those who are having problems - we are not the service dept or the complaint dept for Daimler Chrysler. We will try to help you up to a point but once you have voiced your problem and the advise has run its course please move on.

Thanks
    Maybe if Neons weren't trash and even as HALF as good as Mazda's excellent little Protege, I wouldn't be here now would I? Thank you and have a nice life.
    Speak the truth,and please we are tired of hearing the same crap,and BTW you know it isn´t true!

May I say "over-reacting"

And you said you are also posting evil things about the Neon in the Stratus topic,because they share the 2.0l,let me remind you,your complaints are not just about the engine,you are complaining about the entire car,(bumper to bumper),AND the STRATUS has two powerplants,a 2.0 and the 2.4,and guess what,LESS than 3% of the "cloud" cars have the 2.0 engine,the 2.4 engine is a FREE OPTION!

So SHUT-UP! you don´t know what you are talking about,you like the mazda go and buy it for yourself,or better yet BE a REAL GOOD FRIEND,BUY YOUR FRIEND A MAZDA,and BYE,BYE!!!
    What are you talking about not true?? I don't get it.

I guess you are right and I shouldn't have went from bumper to bumper with the Neon problems in the Stratus topic. But if you all had problems with this piece of crap, you would be mad too!

Someone actually tried to steal it at my work today. Too bad the alarm did work. We could have had another car.
    Sorry Mobay and Edswords-got a bit carried away, just hate to see injustice when it happens. Anywho, vocus go to the forum titled: I love mazda, but hey the neon is great too except that it's a piece of junk! Bulletin Board.=^] Is this caps lock good enough for "you" PARALAX?
    I checked the message boards for the heralded Ford Focus. The number one selling car in the world.

They are having problems with warped rotors, bad alternators, water leaks into the passenger compartments, loud clanging noises when the AC is on, engine hesitation while accellerating, and deiseling noises from engine under accelleration.
    They also complain about a lack of power.

This is the interesting part. The people posting the messages are sure they are the only ones having the problems and they are isolated and they still love their cars.

This is the amazing part. After they post the problem they dont write 50 more posts about how inconvenient repair process was, how lousy the service was, or how import cars are better or how they hate Ford.
    I am glad I had the Neon at work yesterday. One of my co-workers told me the alarm (ES model) was going off, so I went to check it out. It was in tamper mode too, and going crazy. After I turned it off, I was wondering what made it go crazy. I thought it just flipped like the rest of the car. (Sorry had to say it.) :) But, turns out someone had pryed the hood open I think. It was popped, so apparently someone tried to take the car, in bright daylight in the middle of the parking lot! Anyway, thank god the Neon has an alarm on it and it works. I will be the first to admit, if whomever would have done the same to my Mazda, they would have gotten in and I would have been carless come 5pm!

So go ahead and rub it in now. :)
  • seapup99seapup99 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I posted here some time ago about my Neon 2000 I purchased last summer. It's been a year and 8,000 miles so I thought I might give an impression of my Neon to those who are seriously here to obtain info for a purchase/evaluation.

I have the auto trans with air and no other options. Initially, I had the power steering problem noise, but thanks to the advice of Mr. Copperhead here, I used my knowledge and the dealer replaced the pump and I've had not one problem with it since.

I will say that my car does have a little wind noise like so many other cars on the road, but definitely no large volume of engine noise.

I had the oil changed at 1000, 4,000 and 7500 miles. Around town, I get 28 mpg. On a recent trip to the beach 400 miles away, I ran the AC, cruised at 70-75mph and my mileage was 32 mpg. The ride for that distance was quite comfortable - smooth and the seats comfortable.

I think the standard features that come with it are more than acceptable to me. I paid 12,499 cash so did not simply buy it for the low loan rate.

My last car was a 91 Subaru stationwagon. I miss the stationwagon aspects, but with both seats laid down, there has been little that I could not stuff in the Neon that I put into the Subaru. I am pleasantly surprised that I've really been mostly happy with this car. I take care of it with all the checkups and I have it detailed every 4 months (have to - it's the cranberry color and I fear it will lose the shine if not waxed up all the time).

In conclusion, for someone who is looking to get a new Neon, it ain't a luxury car. But for a smaller car, it's very good in my book.

Hey, thanks again for the advice, Copperhead.
  • msk178msk178 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 Plymouth Neon 3 months ago and I have already had it in the shop twice. It had to be towed in about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It took them 2 full weeks to figure out what the problem was and to fix it. They said that I had a bad computer. Has anyone else had this problem? I am just wondering if it's is common in the Neons or if I just happened to get a bad one. The second time it went in was this morning (I just got it back from the first time 4 days ago) This time I don't know what is wrong with it yet. It started accelerating without my permission on my way to work this morning. I let off the gas and it actually sped up! Then when I put it into park, it kept revving up and dropping back down again. I don't know much about cars at all, does anyone know what would cause something like that? I am afraid that it may be another week or two before I hear from the incompetent mechanics at the dealer. My car only has 3200 miles on it...did I buy a lemon???
    In a word, yes. And ALL Dodge dealerships' customer service sucks butt too.
    It does seem like you have a serious issue with the throttle surge. When I have a problem with my car I talk directly to the service manager-the one who can get things done quickly if he gives a damn about customer satisfaction. Please get this situation fixed asap, dont want to see you get hurt. I have not heard of computer problems until yours so I wish I could give you a diagnosis but I cant. The service manager should give you a rental until they can replace the computer on your neon, if they don't- strongly suggest it. Is there another chrysler dealer in your area?If so try them as soon as you can and good luck. Keep us posted.
    Hi don´t worry,your car has an easy to fix problem.

1.-You HAVE to go to ANY other dealer.
    2.- The problem seems to be a faulty sensor,but it´s really easy to diagnose.
    a) A competent dealer must to plug in the DRBIII.
    b) That tool will immediately show a faulty code,(that means it will tell them what is wrong!).
    c) I´m just courious,how did the diagnose you have a bad engine module?(computer).
    d) If the engine module fails,your engine WON´T start.
    Those mechanics should go and take some lessons,don´t waste your time try another dealer,I´m sure they find and fix the problem for you,any connector,or a sensor could be wet or a faulty circuit.

Good luck.

seapup99.-
    I´m glad to hear you are now happy with your car.

Take care.

BTW,a new 4-speed auto will be available as an option for 2001

Stay tuned!
    There is a recall on the 2000 Neon. I took mine in for service today, and the service man told me. He said it JUST came out and Chrysler isn't notifying people about it yet, but they shall start soon. He didn't say exactly what it was, but said it involved the PVC valve. I don't know what cars are affected, but this particular had a build date of sometime before December of 1999.
    There was a recall that just came out for the neon and I dont know if it's the same recall-possibly. It's for people who live in extremely low temperature areas (-20 or colder ambient temp), the throttle blade has a tendency to ice up in these temperatures (duh, what wouldnt?) Anyway, they will replace it and install a different setup. That is the only recall I heard of and it just came out, however I doubt it pertains to many people except maybe canada.I'm sure we'll hear more about it. Outta here...
  • msk178msk178 Member Posts: 2
    Well, my car is back and running well (so they tell me, I haven't driven it yet). When they installed the new computer, they weren't very nice putting my car back together again. The vacuum hose got cracked and was sucking in air causing the acceleration. Like I said, the mechanics at my dealer are not very competent! I don't think I will be taking my car back to that shop anymore. I am just happy to have my car back. Even though it has had trouble, I still love my pretty little car.
    HI,

Glad you're up and running.And your last statement say's a lot about the appeal of the Neon.I would tell you to follow the advice of the others and get a new dealer. Seek out a 5-star dealer and ask around your area,as to whom people like.

Mine (Herb Gordon Dodge) here in Silver SPring Md. is quite nice. Long term, I cannot say but I am impressed in how stringent Chrysler is to award a 5- star rating, and how hard it is to keep it.

Seek and ye shall find.

Good luck and I hope for your trouble-free miles.