Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• mark194mark194 Member Posts: 15
    This whole gasket thing has been blown out of proportion. What happens is a little oil leak occurs by a head bolt at the rear of the engine on the drivers side. At most you will notice a small puddle of oil on the ground after driving it. If it isn't fixed the engine will not self destruct. If it does start leaking just take it to a respected DC dealer and it should be fixed for next to nothing. My daughter owned a 97 highliner and traded it in for a 2000 ES Neon with all the whisles and bells. She still liked her 97. Good luck
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Hi,could you expain me your problem? maybe I can help you.
    Thank you.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I test drove a 2001 Plymouth Neon LX on Saturday. The engine and wind noise have been greatly reduced, and they added a 3rd shoulder belt for the middle-rear occupant. But, no 4-speed automatic yet. They did, however, add side air bags.

Also, got into my friend's sister's 2000 Neon too. And it does NOT vibrate like his 2000 Neon ES does. So I guess it's back to the dealer again.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    You know you want it vocus. Come on, join me on the dark side, we will rule the univerise together. Hey wait a minute, there isn't a such thing as 2001 Plymouth, is there? I thought they were done, if plymouth is still secretely making cars, put me down for a Cuda and a roadrunner.
    Yes, they are still making cars. I know for a fact 2001 is the last year for Plymouth to make the Neon. I don't know about the rest of the line, but the 2001 Neon is out now.

Anyway, we got a recall on the PCV valve yesterday in the mail. I don't know exactly what it said. Something to the affect that in cold weather, the valve will freeze or something. I do know the effect would be the gas pedal sticking a little. I have that now, so maybe that's what the problem is. And I just took the damn car to the dealer about 1.5 weeks ago and they said they couldn't fix it then. Thing is, I got the recall yesterday and it went to my old address first. So they probably sent it out right about 1.5 weeks ago. If so, I am going to get the BBB involved because they basically refused to fix my car.
    A 4-speed is on it´s way,try another dealer about the vibration,tell them about the TSB!
    Plymouth(Neon),will still be available for one more year.
    I have seen 3 2001 Neons already (1 Dodge, 2 Plymouth) and none have had a 4-speed. Maybe it will be a running change or something. I hope so. Anyway, I am going to take the car to a different dealer next week and have them fix all the TSBs and recalls, plus anything else they find. It just sucks that Dodge won't give a loaner if the car is in the shop overnight. I thought that was a standard-fare thing among all car companies.
    I don't believe it is any company's policy of giving out loaner cars. My dodge dealer here gives them if you bought the car there, the Mazda dealer here does the same. Again only if you purchased the car from them. So you could give your above arguement about any make of car not just Dodge. The funniest thing I saw was when my stepdad bought a new chevy and got minor bodywork done at the dealer 1 month later and got his old trade in as a loaner (75 caddy eldorado). There is no company policies on loaner cars, it is left up to the dealer and I believe no dealer is going to bend over backwards for you if you bought it somewhere else.
    Just make sure they fix ALL the TSB and RECALLS!
    About the 4-speed it´s coming,when that I don´t know for sure,but it will be available for 2001.
    BTW most 2000 neons have a electronic lock-up´torque converter,it really feels different from a normal 3-speed tranny.
    If your dealer doesn´t give you a loaner,try Chrysler give them a call,let them know the problems you still have,AND REQUEST! a service rep. to meet you at the dealer.
    When you will meet him insist on the POOR SERVICE,the inconveniences you had,and ASK HIM FOR A LOANER,for sure he will give you one try it!.

Good luck!
  • ancuancu Member Posts: 2
    I had a grinding/clicking sound that I hear
    with the windows open. Its repetitive and
    increases in frequency with speed.

The sound is gone when the hub caps are removed!!
    I can't figure out why the hub caps cause that
    noise since they were on quite tight....
    I called Chrysler customer service and bitched them out already as well. This woman I talked to (who couldn't stop freaking coughing in my ear) said it was the responsibility of the Dodge dealer to provide a loaner car and they weren't required to do so by Chrysler because each dealer in an independent operator. Needless to say, I told her a few things and abruptly ended the call. It just seems like customer service from Chrysler (even the 50star dealerships) is very shoddy.
    Vocus-Try again,there are about 50 people or more answering calls,and insist on a Chrysler rep. not on a loaner.And tell the Chysler rep at the dealer you want your car to be fixed and then ask fot a loaner!

Ancu- Something is wrong with your caps,take a closer look at the bolt-on feature,but you may well ask for a set of new caps,if the noise persist.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    HI FOLKS
    ANY NEWS ABOUT THE 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION ON THE NEON 2001?
    You are the one with news and with the truth,so speak-up
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    HOW I CAN MAKE O ADEQUATE THE NEON GO MORE POWERFUL IN CLIMBING WITH A AUTOMATIC TRANSMIT ION?
    I took the car back to the dealer on Friday for the recall, the abnormal engine vibration through the entire frame and dash of the vehicle, the brakes feeling like they need to replaced again (just done 6000 or so miles ago), and the "surging" problem I started having coming to a stop. Well, of course, the recall was fixed. NOTHING else was found wrong with the car though. Now, I am really disgusted. This is the second dealer (5-star one too) and nothing found wrong with it. I am going to make one more attempt to take it in and see what happens, then getting someone (lawyer, cons. group, etc.) involved.

Also, I got the chance to drive a 1996 Neon "Expresso" when the 2000 was in the shop (my friend's ex-wife has one). I thought the 2000 was bad in the respect of NVH. The 1996 was 3-4 times worse! Also, the 2000 is a LOT roomier IMO than thr 1996 was. The new Neon was a leap, but unfortunately, maybe not a big-enough one.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Vocus, call them back. They were very nice people. I just asked my friend and a very happy Neon owner to check out this owner's topic. He will be very lonely?

Regards,
    Larry
    That´s what you need,buy a Taurus and forget about DC products,you deserve more.
    So grab a Ford or something else.
    I took the car to the dealer last Friday and he told me himself the rotors would need turning at about 20-25K (at 16.1K now). They were just replaced at 10.9K, so I don't get it. They are starting to pulsate already. I am thinking about trading it again, but will probably loose too much money to be able to do it. I will find out tomorrow when I go to the dealer.
    Excuse me,but that is "ABUSE".
    You must be a heavy driver.
  • edswordsedswords Member Posts: 47
    Why is our Neon topic completely dominated by someone who doesnt even own a Neon? Even worse it seems this individual is bent on manupulating the entire board to discuss the problems that his friend is having with his/her Neon.

It gets even better when he asks his other friend who also doesnt own a Neon to start posting here as well.

I check this board 2-3 times a week to share experiences (mine have been all positive) and see what other Neon owners are doing with their cars.

Its getting to be a pointless excercise.

I'm going to take a brake for a while and let the non Neon owning person post away and see how long he can have a conversation with himself.
    Don't leave, please. The Neon topic needs all it's players. I think all the regulars here are pretty cool. Yes, I do not own a Neon! But my friend has a new 2000 Dodge Neon. His wife is very close to my wife, and we hang out a lot. I check in, on this topic every so often, to see how every one's Neon is holding up. How about a good Neon owners story!

Regards,
    Protegextwo
    Here's a good Neon story for ya. The damn thing has 16,200 miles on it and it's been in the shop 5 times from everything from bad rotors to breaking latches and poor workmanship. NOW, Chrysler refuses to fix it! And it can't be traded because its trade-in value is in the toilet and it's not worth the powder and lead it would take to blow it into Hell. How's that story for ya???

I sincerely am mad at Chrysler about the quality of this product. I like driving the car, but what good does it do me in the freaking shop once a week??? It's just a little exasperating when even the manufacturer turns its back on you when you need help.

And as far as owning a Neon or not, that is no one's business but my own. I drive my roommate's Neon occasionally because we trade cars back and forth. And just because I am having quality problems with the car doesn't make it bad (everyone else's seems to be holding up, right?). It just makes me mad that we got a lemon is all. And if no one likes me voicing my opinion (edswords) then don't read the forum, because I will not stop.
  • mobaymobay Member Posts: 45
    Nice words from a man/woman who cannot keep his/her word.

Oh..., you don't remember that do you? Let me refresh your memory;

"To Copperhead: Find me a publication ANYWHERE that
    says the Neon is a reliable mode of transportation
    and I will leave this forum and not come back.
    Even Consumer Reports slams the Neon. A shame,
    because it's a nice package. If it was more
    reliable, then it would sell better"

After that, a publication found ANYWHERE (but actually on the Web) was presented to you to let you eat your words.

Were you man or woman enough to comply with the promise that YOU yourself had made..,? No! your response was that the publication was not up to your standards of credibility.How convenient. You set up the parameters, and then discard them when they prove your wrong.Classic

But hey!,as you've said in the past "You really do like the Neon".

Between yourself, and your other friend. both of you are not NEON owners yet. you both spend a great deal of your time on a Neon forum.You also go to other DC forums and bless them with "your words of non-DC owner wisdom".I for one saw you for what you were weeks ago.., a simple troll.Tell your friend ProtegeXtwo,that he's becoming a good student in your footsteps.His mastery of flowery deception is improving

Case in point, this post:

#392 of 399: Where has everyone gone...... (protegextwo) Fri 08 Sep '00 (02:23 AM)

Vocus, call them back. They were very nice people.
    I just asked my friend and a very happy Neon owner
    to check out this owner's topic. He will be very
    lonely?

Regards,
    Larry

Yeah right.

I put little stock in what you, Vocus have to say anymore, because, your word and promise is of no value. I write this mainly for EDSWORDS benefit and others who may be lurking (like me).

Actions speak louder than words, and your purpose here is obvious to anyone who just looks at all of your posts as a guideline.

Man or Woman,child or adult,you're a troll, who's opinions are just that.., the opinions of a troll.

Enjoy yourselves boys/girls, conversations become dull when you're the only ones talking.
    NICE POST!!!!!!!!

Take care.
  • gieselgiesel Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Dodge Neon that has had what we believe is a light miss on hills ever since new. Our dealer said it was a bad torque converter and changed it out. That did not fix the problem. They had it hooked to their computer and said it showed no misfires. The dealer is located in a flat area so I'm sure their service people don't experience the miss. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was your fix? This is our first and probably will be our last Dodge product.
    Yes, I did post, two nice posts (#392 & #398), suggesting the folks here at the Neon owners topic, seemed like very nice people. Holy heck, I guess; I broke some kind of Neon owners rule. Nonetheless, hersbird and many of the other posters here ARE very nice people! Moybay, the Neon vs. Protege topic was dead. A couple of more weeks of non activity and it would have been frozen. Need I remind you, which town hall member posted an out of the blue taunt? My opinion, you are a very mean spirited.

Respectfully,
    protegextwo
    Don´t worry,I felt the same with my car,BUT the 2000 Neon has a different tranny than the old gen. the new one has a "electronic torque converter",that makes you feel like a miss,but don´t worry,it has no problem,take a new for a test drive and you will see it´s ok,calm down and enjoy your car,the NEON is a good car!
    I think that you took what ProtegeXTwo said the wrong way. He wasn't trying to mean, because he's not like that from the posts I have read in this particular forum and elsewhere. And if you want to come here and threaten people, then don't come to this page.
    My best friend was born raised in Mexico.

Larry
  • ochoaochoa Member Posts: 9
    Sorry maybe I over react but I gees when some body love his car is difficult to read that every thing that we hear is bad about the car.
    But i don't lose the interest now this month aim going to buy a 2001 neon this month. any body ho wants a used neon 2000?
    Your the greatest. If they ever remake the "I Love Lucy show", your a natural for Ricky Recardo!
    "any body ho wants a used neon 2000?". I really, love you, my friend. ;-o

LOL
    Larry
    Beware about trade-in values. My friend tried and he owed $14,300 on an ES with 16,200 miles on it. They only offered him $8500-9300 and the car was in perfect shape too. Neons don't hold their value well. And to be honest, it's not just Neons. Not a lot of cars hold their value well when you want to do a first-year trade.
    Ochoa-In what part of Mexico do you live?

Vocus. My son made a deal yesterday,let me tell you that he was at a restaurant,and a salesman approach him there and asked him if he would like ton sell his 98 Neon,he answered that if he gets a good deal he will do it.
    The salesman invited him to the dealership(FORD),and tried to sell him a Focus,after a long test drive my son said to him,that he liked better his Neon,but the salesman insisted in selling him a car,they offered him for his neon with 40000 miles $9,400.
    After several options,my son traded his 98 Neon for a used 2000 New beetle with ALL the goodies,which was a demo with 2850 miles on it,and he paid $4000.- for the deal including everything.
    How does that sound to you? the Neon held very good it´s resale value,and think it was a very wise decision to trade the Neon for the Beetle,so cheaply.

What do you think????
    If someone offered me $10,500 (KBB value for the Neon), I would trade it in a second. CarMax only offered $9300 and another dealer only offered me $8500. They say it's because of the constant rebates and the special financing. It makes the trade-in values drop down.

I think the trade from the Neon to the Beetle was a wise one. But are you sure the Beetle was a demo and not a car someone brought back due to gremlins? I have heard more than a few electrical problems with the NB. Hope it all comes out in the wash for your son though and hope he enjoys his new car as well.
    This is even more incredible as the neon's new price was probably no more then $12000 and the VW's no less then $19000. Then the beetle with 38,000 miles less. If it was a buyback, then the dealer must disclose. It would also show up on carfax. My mom has an almost perfect 99 yellow bug with leather and about everything else you could get in 99. She loves it and wouldn't trade it for anything under $25000. I personally would only trade my neon for a beetle if I thought I could then sell the beetle for enough profit to buy back my neon and have enough left over for mods! Whew!
    I am sorry guys, but there is no way I would trade the Neon for a VW of any kind then buy back the Neon! :) I have wanted a New Jetta TDI (or 1.8T) since they came out back in 1999. But I am afraid of the short warranty and reported reliability problems here on Edmund's. Maybe I will take the plunge when the records get a little better and the design has been out longer.
    MONTERREY, NUEVO LEÓN, MEXICO.
    NEAR OF THE BORDER.
    Ochoa.- It seems you bought already a 2001 Neon,if not why don´t you wait for the new R/T,it most be at dealers early next month at the most.
    You will like it,it´s a much better and faster car.

Vocus.-

as I said it here before to all of you,I think the Neon has a good resale value,since the paid good money for ours.
    And the New Beetle we bought it was a VW´s executive car,the dealer bought the car to them,and the executive is a top one,we already have the name of the executive who drove the 2850 miles in the Beetle.
    The car drives nice,it´s another kind of car,there is no way you can compare the Beetle with any other car in the market,it´s a 2.0l engine 5-speed,and yellow.We are glad we made the deal,and we like the car,I hope the car will be as good as the Neon was for us,we still have VW support.
    And Vocus,if CarMax,and others are not giving you what you want for your car,it can be maybe because they see your car is not in good conditions,just think of this,if the Ford dealer made the deal with us,was because they made money in the Beetle,and they WILL MAKE MONEY with our Neon.
    The car is a 2000 model and it's in perfect condition. They told us that at CarMax. The reason they didn't give us what KBB said was because of the finance rates and rebates, which lower the chance someone is going to want a car with 16K on it if they can get the same one new for a few hundred more. The dealer himself told us that there was nothing wrong with the car, as did the "evaluator" at CarMax.

I want to try for a VW Golf, but the negative equity from this damn Neon is holding me back. That sucks!
    That was i say to my girlfriend but she is a women and she don't understand, she say that the car is for us and not only for me.
    What i can say about it i can defend me against her.
    Let me remind you something,i can understand the car will be for the two of you,BUT since when a "girlfriend" has the final decision in buying a car???
    Does she knows more about cars,and if she knows more,she has to know that the new Neon R/T is a different car,it´s more car,you should wait to buy it,it will cost you some more money,but it´s worth it.
    If you will not wait for it,and you buy just the stock 2001 neon you will make a big mistake,just wait for it,and if you will have the chance to hear the muffler sound with the twin pipes you will love it,and what can I tell you about how it drives and accelerates,Terrific!
    WAIT!!

Vocus.-

What I´m pointing out is; that I can openly all tell you "The Neon is a good car and has a good resale value".
  • chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    Well I can't say that I had a good experience with my 98 Dodge Neon Sport. My car was in the shop numerous times for engine problems. My car 10K miles on it when my engine light came on and I had to get ALL of my valves replaced!The car was in the shop for 2 weeks!!! Then the engine light still kept coming on and my car sounded like a tractor! I took it in several times. My brakes made noise all the time and I kept having rattling sounds from inside. I don't know if I had a lemon or what, but as soon as my warranty was up I traded that car in soooo fast! I had enough!! I was completely burned out from that car. I'm just telling you my experience with my Dodge Neon. I agree that cars will have there problems but that was ridiculous! I'm not here to dog neon owners I'm just saying that I don't think I would ever buy a Chrysler Product again.
    POOR SERVICE!!That was your MAIN problem.
    And with no offense to you,let me tell you that I do feel sorry for you,because if you aren´t going to buy a Chrysler product because of your Neon,I think you are wrong,because I always keep thinking that those products are the best for the money you spent.
    Give them a closer look the next time you plan to buy a new vehicle,drive a new one,drive several and different Chrysler products,you´ll see how much better they are now.It doesn´t matter if you are not for a new car,spend some time and hava several test drives,you´ll agree with me.
    Well,just my 2 cents.
  • chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    I took the car to 2 dealerships-the one where I purchased the car and to another dealership that was alot closer to me -Marietta Dodge and Landmark Dodge. After I got fed up with the first dealership I went to Landmark because yes I did think they weren't fixing it right. Sure enough months later something else was wrong. That gave me the cue I needed to find a another car. Before I started having all these problems it was a fun little car. It was my first car by the way. I just couldn't deal with it anymore :(
    You know that a women charm is more powerful than a battle ship.
    But mi battle is not over i plant to equip the car step by step.
    My only satisfaction is that my brother get so much stimulated with my 2ky neon that he plans to get a neon r/t.
    chrismar- I´m sorry but if that was your first car that explains a lot to me.Just try to test other Chrysler products,you will feel the difference.
    Ochoa- Enjoy your car,and don´t cry when you´ll see a Neon R/T,specialy on the Highway.
  • gombocgomboc Member Posts: 2
    On 9/13, my wife decided she wanted a Jeep Cherokee Sport so we traded in our 2000 Neon LX.

In 15 months we put on only 7700 trouble free miles. We thoroughly enjoyed the car. We got $11,000 trade-in.

So to the other Neon owners, we bid you farewell and good luck. Maybe we will be back if and when we decide to buy another Neon.
    As you can see you are all alone here,so you better........
  • mobaymobay Member Posts: 45
    Hi,

Well Vocus,Protegextwo, congratulations! There's no one left to hear your tales of your "experience" with your "friend's" Neon.

Maybe you can try talking to yourself for support.Kinda like me now ,cause the 16th was the last time anyone posted here.

Then again, there's always other DC sites that can benefit from your profound experience in owning a Neon.

Why not give them the benefit of your experience?