Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Nice post,I enjoyed it!
  • tiredownertiredowner Member Posts: 2
    I have one big lemon of a neon.. 2 1/2 years.. new transmission, fuel pump, plugs (a couple times), wires, throttle body...shall I go on? Chrysler has told me they don't care. Almost past warranty..they've told me its MY problem now. Yeah.. NEVER will I ever buy a Chrysler again.. EVER! Bad enough they build junky cars.. they don't even apologize for having to fix it 14 times in 2 years!
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    I guess my neon must be giving all it's problems to other neon's, maybe it's because I talk nice to my neon! It seems especially rude a dealer would be taunting you as you near the end of you warranty, maybe they have buyers lined up and want it as a trade in. At least all those problems didn't cost a dime (well maybe plugs), so get rid of it if you don't like it and buy a car where the manufacturer gladly will service the car long past the factory warranty just to be nice, profits be dammed! Why do they even have a warranty period in the first place, they should just continue to service the car for free forever.
    Of course all those import cars don't need any warranty at all, they will never break anyway, just as the local dealer, they'll tell you the truth. If I were to swear off every brand of car that has given myself or a family member substantial problems I wouldn't be able to buy any make of car (well maybe the russian Lada, but they are hard to come by here and really doubt they would hold up very well anyway). So I'm honestly sorry you've had so many problems with one car, I hope you are not somehow car cursed and just neon cursed. Good luck!
  • chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    I totally agree with you!! I don't know if you read my posts earlier about the horrifying experience about my 98 Dodge Neon Sport. Never again!! Thats all I have to say!
  • tiredownertiredowner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the words of agreement. Mine is a 98 neon sport as well.. I saw your comments and told people that I could have written it! My dealer has been no help.. actually I think they are glad the warranty is up so they don't have to see me anymore. The dealer even gave me the horror story about how bad the brakes were..so I got a 2nd opinion tonight.. nothing wrong with them! Now I trust them even less. I agree that warrantys should carry on way longer 36k.. After all, if a company REALLY believed in their product, they would know that it wouldn't break down and be embarrassed that it did at such a young age! I'm done with Chryslers and shopping for a new car. Maybe a VW??
  • chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    Right after my warranty was up I traded my 98 Dodge Neon in and I got $7,000 for it. I bought a 2001 CyberGreen New Beetle GLX 1.8T and its been absolutely wonderful!! In my opinion its a big inprovement than my neon that I had. I am very VERY happy with my beetle. Go ahead a test drive them and see :) Let me know how things went if you decide ok!! Take care :)
  • mobaymobay Member Posts: 45
    HI,

Experiences with any car, is a matter of careful research,prudent buying, and unfortunately, luck.

If one researches a car's history, buys the right comfort/performance options,then luck diminishes. It still however,does not eliminate the chance of getting a car that was poorly designed, or made by a disgruntled or overworked employee.

I am not a Neon fan who is "diehard" and will lie or ignore the car's faults or reputation.I look at the Neon without forgetting that it is an inexpensive ,small car. As with all small cars, you will have either, a fuel efficient,cost effective appliance, or a nimbly handling,exciting car. The VW Bug, Rabbit and 1st generation GTI's,Toyota,Celica Datsun 510,BMW 2002,and Ford Mustang fall into the category of mostly reliable, always fun to drive, and inexpensive.

I would like to think that the Neon also falls into this group.

The 95-99 Neons, were basically a small car with a large powerful engine, and a very competent suspension.Fit and finish, creature comforts, and admittedly, overall RELIABILTY, were not up to the performance of the vehicle.the 95-99 models sold well over 600,000 units so there had to have been something that attracted buyers.

There are however, many 95-99 owners that have had execellent reliabilty from their Neons, and unfortunately, they don't come here and tell their story.There are also many who have had hell on earth with their Neons, and many of them have also not come here. Both are to be given the respect that opinions of anyone should get.However, it's not accurate to ignore one and listen solely to the other.

Despite what people say, the 95-99 Neon DID redefine and change forever the notion of a cheap compact car as an appliance.Its acceleration,cornering, and numerous Sports Car Club of America wins in STOCK form, attest to it's basic goodness.

This forum is about the 2K and as such,comparisons with the 95-99 models are not fair. While the engine is similar, it's torque and power band is completely different from the 95-99 models. It has two on-board computers, (one for engine management, the other for all other functions,such as lights,warning,etc,etc))versus the 95-99's one computer.Its interior is larger an more confortable.

The new shape,interior,ride,fit and finish are a direct result of complaints/suggestions from owners of 95-99 owners. It rides better, does not bottom out,has no squeaks,and rattles,and is put together well. Much of the assembly is robotic, eliminating human errors.

It does however have a "audible" engine,an auto gearbox that downshifts harshly,and in the auto model..., idle vibration.It is however,heads and shoulders in overall quality over the 95-99 models.The 5sp. manual has none of the vibration and shifting problems of the auto,but you can still hear it's 132 HP motor(the largest engine in it's class) when it's flogged.Next to the Viper,the 2K Neon ,believe or not,is the fastest accelerating Chrylser product.

Fully decked out (A/C,Premium Sound,Alloys,ABS,Lighting,tyres,sunroof) it costs about $5000 dollars less than all other models and will outrun and outcorner them also.My 5sp. ES
    with everything but the sunroof cost me $14,300.

It is the first American made car I have owned, after many Japanese and European sedans(I've been abroad for years).It is a gem of a car, especially so, if ordered with the 5sp.,alloys,15' tyres,and alloy/ABS.Not a rattle,squeak ,or problem in the brief 6000 miles I have owned it.

I was aware of the problems with the 95-99 models, (the 98' was rated highly, however)but bought it for its performance, and cost effective price.I also drove the competition beforehand.

With $380 dollars of modifications I've run 16.8,@84MPH for the quarter-mile, with time loss due to the wheels spinning at take-off ( first time racing..,I need practice!)at a local drag strip.It will fly with just minor additions (cold air intake,free-flow exhaust).

I respect, and empathize with all of you that have problems with your Neons. I believe you 100%.
    My experience, is just that..., "my experience".

When, and IF, mine goes wayward,I'll curse it like you too. Until then, I will sing it's praises, and enjoy the look on the faces of owners of $27,000 car as I pull away, in my, made in Ohio,"cheap" car, while listening to Beethoven's "Moonlight" piano sonata.

My hope for a resolution to your problems.My apologies for my typical long post.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I don't agree, with EVERYTHING you posted, but... I applaud your passion. Post #437, was by far the best and most logical pro Neon testimonial, posted at this topic! Your treatise was well written and made several excellent points! Thank you for taking the time, to compile your thoughts and opinions.

respectfully,
    protegextwo
    Excellent post,nice writing,but no matter your nice posts some people here will start flaming,it´s how they are,so we better don´t listen to them and let them stay alone.
    Thank you for such a nice post!
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The only correction to post number 437 is that the Neon is not made in Ohio, but in Belvidere, Illinois. DaimlerChrysler converted the Toluca, Mexico plant to PT Cruiser production, leaving Belvidere (former home to the Dodge Dynasty and before that, the Omni/Horizon) the sole source of Neons.
    Hi

SOrry guy, you're right on the money.I hope one day to visit the plant.

Randy
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    How is life treating you, my friend? Keep in touch.:-}

protegextwo
  • sitnfberglasssitnfberglass Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I found this site and wanted to respond. I bought a 2000 Dodge Neon ES with sunroof and so far, I am satisfied with my purchase. I bought it the first week in July and now have 6030 miles on it. After reading other peoples postings on this site, I do get the "static shock" when exiting the car and it does idle "rough" at a stop light. A good sight gouge of the rough idle, is watching the radio antennae shake when at a stop light. I can live with it. It doesn't idle rough to the point of stalling out. My other car is a 99 corvette I bought last year. I bought the Neon as my everyday, drive to town, car. It gets great gas mileage compared to the "vette". And for the price I paid, its has a stylish shape and
    I can carry four passengers in relative comfort. So far the car has had NO problems but will keep an "eye out" for those head gaskets or loose bolts you all have complained about. THANKS!
  • earredondoearredondo Member Posts: 3
    I have a neon 2000 purchased 4/99. I currently have 3500 miles, works great despite of noisy engine and some strange crack noise under the car when I twist the steering wheel and drive in reverse. But I just found a new little problem that could be really dangerous in case of an accident and I want to know what do you guys recommend me to do to tell DC about it and maybe make them do a recall on it.
    I have two car seats that I was using on my 97 caravan with no problem, one of these car seats doesn't have the upper tie so it rely on the shoulder/lap belt combination to protect my kids.
    On the caravan when you install the car seat after removing it you pull the shoulder belt after buckle up so that the lap belt tensions and hold the car seat tight. Well When I tried to do the same thing on the neon, I hear like a crack and I noticed that the tension was lost immediately so the car seat can go forward the driver still buckled up, so I discovered that the socket of the belt has 2 pieces of plastic that are placed around it and make the belt tense, and these were lying on the backseat, So I put them together and completed the belt back to normal and it did it again.... So I'm planning to take this higher than the dealer because it's ridiculous that they use this kind of belt to save lives. The one on the caravan has also plastic but it's a lot tougher than this one, check it out on your car and let me know your comments. If you want to see pictures go to www.vegena.net/jpg/neon1.jpg and then try neon2.jpg,neon3.jpg,neon4.jpg
  • ochoaochoa Member Posts: 9
    I think that in Mexico we have bad reputation in reference to safety in the stets and proof of that is the introduction of a system in the trunk that aloud to the kip nap person can escape for the situation.
    This is not a joke when i look the manual of mi new car (neon 2001) i was surprise of that improvement.
    and the funny thing is the drawing that is in the stick that activates the trunk door is a person try to open the door.
    so please tell me that is not only in Mexico because i don't want to know that in Mexico is the more dangerous please to leave.
  • jlieglejliegle Member Posts: 1
    There were a number of cases where playing children locked themselves into the trunk and died a horrible death (heat in trunk well above tolerable levels when car in sun).
    Car manufacturers reacted to this by adding in "in trunk" release.
    So Mexico is not so bad after all :) It's these playing kids that we owe credit for this feature, which like you say will also come in handy when being kidnapped.
  • civancivan Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2000 Neon ES in March (5 speed, sun roof, cruise) for about $12,100 after rebate, plus tax and license. Having had over 50 cars of most makes and models over the years, I guess I'm something of a car fan. I was looking for a fuel efficient car that was fun to drive. It had to be a stick. It had to accomodate a 6'6" adult (one of my overgrown kids)in the front without jambing his knees against the dash AND in the back without seriously cramping his neck or legs! I drove several cars, but selected this one because it met those requirements best for the price.

So far the Neon has about 8400 miles on it. Gas mileage has been as follows (about 50/50 in-town and hwy miles): the first 2806 miles averaged 30.7 mpg; the next 2797 miles was 32.2; the most recent 2813 is 32.8. The best was a trip this weekend (600+/- miles, all interstate hwy. at 70 mph the car got 33.0 going and 37.3 returning). The worst has been about 27.6 with less than 1000 miles on the engine. I tend to get better mileage than most drivers, but this offers some parameters to go by and what improvements you might expect as the engine breaks in.

How do I like the car to date? I absolutely love it! Problems? None so far, so I'm cautiously optimistic. A potential problem: the idle sometimes falters once during the warm-up cycle, but recovers without stalling. If it develops into a stall, I'll have it checked out.

For those who have had both good and bad Neon experiences and took the time to share them, thank you. They helped me ask some hard questions before I bought.
  • kahuna1kahuna1 Member Posts: 6
    After getting caught up on several hundred back entries, I find that most of the entries are either never again and/or it's better than my girlfriend/wife. Sometimes I think that the *lemon* models were put together by a group of assembly folk that were all at the same party and came to work with the same hangover. It is not as tho some high muckymuck comes down to the plant on some specific day and said that all the cars today will be put together by aliens. Mork and his buddies. It is just the throw of the dice. I recall when there was a Ford plant in the area, and if someone on the assembly line was buying something produced at the plant, the work would go down the line of that fact. Unless, the worker was a real anal cavity, everyone would take special care in the assembly of that unit. Of course management would hotly deny this, but a cat would be surprised what the mice can get away with.
    I have a new '98 coupe with auto and have had no trouble with it. I find that the auto really works if driven properly. One of the major advantages of the auto is that it allows both hands on the wheel, and that comes in very handy on some of my favorite knarly roads around here. Don't put down automatics. Even Ferrari uses them in their F1 cars. Gives an edge over the, am I in 3rd or 4th crowd. The only complaint I have is that I did not get the RT model, but with the '01 RT returning, perhaps....
    'Nough said. The most important thing, if one is a car nut, enjoy what you have, and if need be, some personal touches should make you happy. Such as having the front seats covered with a nice soft leather. Oh yes, there is nothing wrong in being a car nut. There are nuts on everything. Trains..planes..ships..playerpianos..Bach..Boogie Woogie..Writing long thingies..hating everyone and everything, but yoself..thinking that every era was better than this one. Just sit down and imagine what it was like to have a tooth pulled before novacaine (not too long ago). Or, what happened when you got a scratch that became infected....you died.
    So these days aren't so bad after all. Did you know that to fly from SF to Honolulu in the late '30s cost over $300? Factor in inflation since 1938 and could YOU afford it? Just a thot.
    Byee for know and aloha
    Keep writing crew, no matter what.
  • abaltoabalto Member Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
  • tubbyntubbyn Member Posts: 6
    Hi all!

I found this page though Edmunds on-line and decided that i would tell you all my story! I have had my 2000 Dodge Neon ES for 16 months!... During this time I have had many-a-troubles with this shall we say "Peice of junk car!" It first started out about a week after I first bought my new car! the stitching around the leather covered steering wheel was comming unraveled... i took it back to the dealer ship and they orderd a new steering wheel for my car and said that it would be in by the end of next week.... hey no problem i thought to myself.. plenty of time before i go on vacation to Florida to see my dad!... i live in Indiana by the way!... Well i call the dealership (Fletcher Chrysler in Franklin)to see if the steering wheel had been ordered yet (one weeks time) and they said that it had came in and that they could get it put on by Tuesday. Well Tuesday rolls around and I took off work so that way they could get it done and finished. i pull into the dealership get out of my car and walk into the service dept. to find out that they orderd the wrong color for the interior of my car! so i would have to wait another 1to2 weeks for delivery of another part!... ARG! i told them that i was going to Florida next week and that i needed it to be finiished by then because i did not want to drive 1300 miles with string hanging off of my steering wheel that by now was only partially covered by leather! They said that they would try to get it finished but they could not garentee anything!... well the next day they call me saying that they had gotten the steering wheel from another dealer ship and that they could get it on that day if i were to bring it in! So i drove the 45 minutes to the dealership to have them put in on and they got it put on and everything was fine!... i went on the trip to florida and while i was there i had troubles geting my trunk to pop open with my Remote keyless entry (RKE)... after several times of pushing the damn button i frustrated because i could hear it click but it would not pop up so I just decided to give up and do it the old fashiond way (i used the key) well i had realized that rubber seal around the edge of the trunk was stuck to the trunk lid! the glue that it was stuck on with got all over the inside of my trunk and stuck to anything that it could stick too... i drove it over to the dealership in St. Petersburg and they fixed it imeadiatly... they even shampooed the inside on my trunk out to get all of the glue out of it! Well even to this day the damn trunk doesn't pop up with the RKE you have to go back and click the button and pull up on it with your hand... (not very effective if you are comming out of Wal-Mart with you hands full of bags! when i asked the guys at Fletchers what the problem was they said that they had never hear of that before and basically told me to put vasaline ont the rubber ppart so that way it doesn't stick.
    the next time that i had a fight with the dealership it was over my car idoling rough! VERY ROUGH... my antenna on my car was whirring out of control.... if i wasn't such a big fella i would have thought that my damn Neon would have been given clearace by the airport to take off! i took it to the dealership and i told them that it (the antenna) was whipen around in the air like a little helicopter... and they said that they put it on the computer and there were not missfire codes so there was basically there was nothing that they could do about it idoling rough!... well there was hell to pay when i went in the next week after having my car die on me in the middle of an intersection in Columbus! i was furrious.... i was so frustrated that i wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership telling them what a problem i was having with my new car! and all i got was well i am sorry but there is really nothing that i can do it is your car now basically!....
    Well after about 3 weeks my car had a funny sound when ever i turned the steering wheel.... it sounded like a Ford Astro van .... you know the ones that sound like everytime you turn the steering wheel the wheels are going to pop off! Well i took it to the dealer ship AGAIN! and they said that there was nothing wrong??? could not find a thing???? WEll that was before i went into the service managers office and basically had to drag him out by the hair on his head in order for hinm to drive around the damn parking lot with me to tell him YES THERE IS SOMTHING THE MATTER WITH MY CAR!!!! so he finally agreed that it was the power steering pump and it was bad.... they had to order the part for that as well and it took 2 and a half week!!! yes thati right!!! 2 1/2 weeks!.... by the time that they got it fixed ole tubby baby here was driving his car with NO ABSOLUTLY NO POWERE STEERING WHAT SO EVER!!!! for over a week!!!!!
    In the first 3 months that i owned my Neon it was in the serviced Dept getting serviced 5 no wait 6 times! and it is now going back for the 7th... i am going to have them fix everthing before the warranty runns out.... i am now at 33,956 miles and i do not plan on keeping it much longer than what i have to after the warranty runs out! i do not think that i will by another car from chrysler... or shall we say Fletcher Chrysler in Franklin, IN again!... i would like to know how these Dealerships can get a FIVE STAR RATING???? i want to be on that commity or at least have one of the members ask me about their reputation... cause let me tell you it is [non-permissible content removed]!

Thank you all for listening to be gripe and complain about my 2000 Neon... now that i have vented most of my frustration for the evening i think that i will go to bed! If you have any questions or comments about my venting.... please fill free to write me... constuctive critisism will be accepted and appriciated.... you can write back here, or at TubbyN@aol.com thank you very much!
    Hi,

The hassle you have gone through are incredible.
    I would suggest you do the following.Start RIGHT NOW to document all of the problems that you are having or have had.If you have any, or all, of the old bills,or work orders, start to photo copy them.

On any other future work to be done , demand a work order.

Now what I am suggesting is that you write a letter, or better yet have a paralegal (they're cheaper) ,write a letter to Daimler Chrysler (DC afterwards) explaining when you bought the car, and explaining all the problems that you have had with it.

Send copies of all the paperwork you have gotten from the dealer and tell them that you are expecting them to have the dealer fix the problem.
    Also suggest to them that if they cannot give you satisfaction, that you will be forced to take the matter to Small Claims Court or to the Attorney General.

Also send a copy of the letter to DC to the dealer.

I would also send a copy of the letter to your state Attorney General.Make sure that you have notation on the bottom of the letter that the letter is being cc'd to the Attorney General so that they(DC and the dealer) know you are serious.

I would then contact the DMV in your area or perhaps a lawyer and find out about the time limit for the Car Lemon laws in your state.

More than likely DC will get on the dealers [non-permissible content removed] and raise hell with him.If not, I would suggest going to Small Claims Court. This will be a royal pain in the [non-permissible content removed] for you, but an even bigger one for DC and the dealer ,if they are stupid enough not to show up for the case.It's not expensive to get the case into Small Claims Court.

Drastic I know, but the thing to do with any new car that starts to give problems as quickly as yours did ,is to document the problems. Then, apply for compensation under the Lemon laws in your state.

I've got a 2K ES 5spd.I bought it in May and it has 7000 miles on it. Not a single problem whatsoever.I love the car.

That's just me though. I would be mad as hell if it had given me the problems you had. But you know what?, I'd take DC and the dealer to court on the matter. The problem is that people let the matter slip into the limit of the lemon law (usually 18 months) and then it's too late.

I'd never buy another DC product if I had the same experience as you.I'm lucky with mine, and have to hope that your case is an isolated one.

Sorry , I can't do more man, but I hope you'll get a resolution to your problem.
    Well thank you for your writting me and telling me the steps and what to do ... it is greatly appreciated! i think that i will give them another chance... just to make sure that it wasn't me!... i will NEVER buy another DC product again... and i will sure as hell not buy a car from that dealer! i am planning on getting red of it as soon as the warranty runs out anyways! i am not going to put up with the crap for another 16 mos. i can garuntee you that one!
    Thanks once again!
  • bsmilliebsmillie Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am just joining the list here for the first time! I am thinking of purchasing a nearly new 97 Neon Sport 5 spd. with only 90,000 kilometers. However, I am quite aware of all the apparent problems people are having - this car is like new and drives great with no apparent problems. I had it checked over by a mechanic friend, the only thing he could find was the rad looked like it might be wearing out already? Other than that he felt the car was ok! It's this or a nice 93 Honda Accord with 220,000 Kilometers for the exact same price. I do like the Neon, but I'm not so sure after reading the numerous complaints on these cars? Accords are supposedly known for longevity. Any advice?
  • justpurplejustpurple Member Posts: 12
    I can completely sympathize with you on your Neon problems. Like you, I had many, many problems with mine including rough idle and believe it or not trunk release problems. I had the spoiler put on mine and I could never ever get the trunk to "pop up". I always had to pull it up at the same time as I hit the keyless remote. I also had a broken piston ring break at 3500 miles. The power steering pump went out on mine at 9500 miles and the alternator bolt broke at 11,500 miles. On top of all those things I had small problems too. The CD player broke, the console cover bubbled and the windshield was warped.

I know others on this board have heard my problems before but I just wanted you to know you're not alone. I too, will never buy a DC product again. (And I have family members who work for DC-Neon plant.) A word of wisdom though...be prepared to loose your shirt when you trade yours in. I traded mine when the warranty (36K) expired and lost big time!
  • john291john291 Member Posts: 1
    I see some folks are having problems with their new 2000 Neons and I have to say that I have been very fortunate. Except for a power steering pump replacement at 3000mi, I have had no problems and am now approaching 26000 mi. This is my So. Ca. freeway commuter and I am pleased (knock on wood) that I have had no mechanical problems. I have replaced the brakes ($50) oil changes every 3k w/o fail, and have had the transmission fluid replaced at 20k.
    Once I hit a 100k (if it makes it that long), I will get a bigger car only for crash protection. I've seen the new Neons that rental agencies have and have seen what happens in a crash. Talk about aluminum foil. Drive careful out there if you have one of these fine cars. Don't worry so much about mechanical problems, worry about the other guy instead.
    Don´t worry your car will easly hit 100k,they are good cars,and don´t worry about a crash,drive your car and enjoy it!
  • mytchmytch Member Posts: 3
    0% financing for up to 60 months on 00 Neons.What will the next move of DC be to rid itself of the overstock of 2000's, 1,000 dollars under each wheel cover??, If they are SO good why does the inv\centive have to be SO big to move them?
    Some of it is not DaimlerChrysler's doing. Most small cars carry some sort of incentive these days, as even with the increased price of gasoline, people still don't buy them.
    Want a better deal ,buy a Ford Focus 0% interest plus,you can loose rear wheels,fire because of the ignition switch,all kind of troubles with the tranny,and on and on,that´s a better deal!

Have you owned a Ford LATELY????????
  • dfcannondfcannon Member Posts: 4
    With 8,500 miles on the odometer and almost 12 months since it was delivered, my Neon has been a great little car. Its handling, road feel, ride, steering and braking are comparable to a 1985 BMW 318i that I owned, and the Neon is quite a bit quicker. I'm amazed with how many features I got for the money with the Neon; in fact, it has more features than my last car, a 1996 Infiniti G20. (i.e. traction control, remote keyless entry, plus everything the G20 had). The build quality of the 2000 Neon is excellent (no rattles or creaks, unlike the dealer-installed sunroof on the G20).

The only problem that I've had with the Neon was a passenger-side electric window switch that did not work. It had not been plugged in, and the dealer merely took off the plastic door panel and hooked it up. That stopped the plug from buzzing inside the door frame, too. The car also is a bit unrefined in terms of wind and road noise, but this is not a major annoyance.

The Neon is also great-looking, to my eyes. I am in the somewhat unique position of living in Manhattan and paying $325 a month for a parking space. The Neon costs me almost $800 a month to own. I could afford to lease an Audi or BMW, but really, there's little point. The Neon is an excellent driver's car and compares favorably with near-luxury cars from the past.
    well i know what you mean about loosing you shirt... i went to the mercury dealer to look at the new cougars.... they basically laughed me off the lot!!! Told me that i would at least have to put $3000 down to even think about comming close to what it would take to have the same payment on my Neon ($334.32/mo.) Basically i am drowning in this freaking car and there is no way out! i am stuck! somtimes i wish that i would have kept my old neon ('96 2dr sport 5spd.) at least i could have traded it for somthing that was a little more oh what is the word i am looking for.... humm... well i could have traded it in for something that was not such a big piece of [non-permissible content removed]!

Well now i am having troubles with my cd player.... the darn thing keeps on spitting the lings back out at mee saying that there is a disc error???? WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?.... when i get back from Vacation that damn thing is going to the shop!!! and they Will find somthing wrong with it!!!!!!!! If i have to have the head of the freaking DC Corperation come down and take a look at my car!!! this is just freakin' rediculous!!! there is only so many things that can go wrong with a car before someone should say well humm obviously there is somthing wrong with the car!.... at this point i am a VERY DISGRUNTLED DC OWNER!
    Once again any questions comments or contructive critisim.... feel free to give me a yell at TubbyN@aol.com or here at Edmunds!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My roommate and I share a 2000 Neon ES automatic. It's been in the shop 6 times since the end of June. Things like the dash padding cracking, the brakes (rotors/pads) being replaced (at 11K) and other things like that. Now the cassette player doesn't work and the power steering is making a terrible noise and assist is lowering. I suspect a leak. We were going to trade it, but he would he $3000 or so in the hole as well. At least he purchased a 5 year/75K extended warranty and Chrysler has to pay for everything. Only good part of this whole charade.
    I can't believe people here that think if they buy a new car and want to trade it in one year later they are not going to lose $3000. This is especially true if you buy the add ons like extended warranty. I don't car what car you buy new a year later if you want to dump it back to another dealer you are going to take it in the shorts. How much do you think you'd lose on a 2000 protoge with $1000 worth of extended warranty? I bet it's at least $3000. Now try this on a BMW or mercedes, even with excellent resale value the pricetag over 5 times that of a neon would mean resale would have to be 5 times better not to lose even more money one year later. The highest to lowest 1 year resale for cars only differs buy a few percent, nothing to specifically knock the neon for when all cars will have the same problem after 1 year.

My 98 neon continues to be flawless with 24,000 miles. This year I think I'll get snow tires as the factory goodyears are short of tread, especially for snow. Maybe in the spring I can leave the studded tries on the factory alloys and get a new set of aftermarket wheels and tires. We have dropped the trade in idea as we now plan on doing a big construction loan and building a house. The neon is really to cost effective and such fun to drive I don't know what I'd really gain by trying to trade up to a luxury sedan. So I an here to stay, at least the trolls may have a chance to someday hear about a bad headgasket from my perfect neon but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    i really do not think that i that i would of had to have given so much!.... yes i know that i would have had to of given some money down but 3000 is just a little steep! i think!... but that is just my opion i could be wrong!
    Actually, you wouldn't need an extended warranty to 50K for a Protege. The standard warranty covers them up to 50K already. And I do expect cars to loose value, especially small ones like these. But look at how Chrysler has to keep increasing the rebates and decreasing the financing rates to sell Neons. The rebate on the Neon is $1500 now and $1000 on the Protege. The only reason the Neon sells better is because Dodge cannot get rid of the tin cans fast enough.
  • jmn2786jmn2786 Member Posts: 15
    Just wanted everyone to know that my loaded 2000 Dodge Neon ES 5sp is still runing great at 15,000mi.

Jeff
  • earredondoearredondo Member Posts: 3
    How could I know that my steering pump needs replacement ? Is there a particular sound you hear or it's just impossible to turn the steering wheel ?
    Thanks

I have a neon 2k highline 4500 miles on it
  • mark194mark194 Member Posts: 15
    The pump will start to "whine", it doesn't lock up it just makes a funny noise. My son had his replaced (2K Neon, purchased 6-99). My daughters 2K is just fine (purchased 3-00).
    Vocus - the brakes on your Neon were replaced at 11K. Did you have to pay for the replacement or was it covered by warranty? Who paid for the replacement brakes on the Protege at 27K? Didn't they have a difficult time finding replacement parts?
    It sounds like your CD player is doing the same thing mine did. Be careful, mine ended up ruining a couple of CDs in the process. When I took mine in, they just replaced it.

I know what you mean about having to come up with more money in order to trade. I basically lost about the same amount as you're talking about. The big difference was that I ended up having to tack it on to the new loan. My payments on my new car are much, much higher than I wanted them to be. But then I really wanted the car I traded my neon in for, so I can't complain too much.
    My roommate was thinking about trading his Neon on a Cavalier. But I warned him that may be "cutting your nose off to spite your face" so to speak. They are having some really good deals on Cavaliers now though. But they are no more reliable than the Neon is.
    For the Neon at 11K, they paid for everything since it was under 12K. Now, at 18K the rotors and pads need maintenance again because there is a little pulsation when braking. That sucks, because they won't cover it this time, no matter what. I already tried.

On the Protege, the brakes were replaced at 27K and I had to pay for it. It was very difficult for the shop to find replacement pads. They went through 4 sets and none of them fit! They finally just went to a nearby Mazda dealer and purchased the pads there. It took them 2 hours to do the brakes though. Amazing, because the Protege isn't a sports car or something, it's only an economy car.

The Neon's steering "whines" occasionally as well. It just seems like everytime I take the thing in for repair, the only thing the mechanics can say is "no problem found". Bullcrap! The car's idle speed kicks up and down (surges and almost stalls sometimes) and they cannot find anything wrong with it. The engine light flashed one time, so hopefully the computer stored the code. The only reason Chrysler doesn't wanna work on the car is because it's under warranty now. Little do they know, my friend has an extended warranty to 5 years/75K. The car would have been long gone if not for the extended warranty.
    Yes, I did realize I was going to lose when I traded in my Neon. I agree with TubbyN that 3,000 is a little steep. When you consider that the car cost me 14,400 (all options except alloy wheels, no extended warranty), a 3,000 loss is difficult to swallow.
    Took my roommate's car to Carmax for an evaluation back when it had 14K on it. They told me it was worth $9300 and he owed $14,000 on it (extended warranty with LOADED ES model- every option but sunroof and CD). Carmax even said it's a nice car and all, but they cannot give a high amount for it because of the deals on new ones. Why would soemone pay $13,000 or so for a car with 20K miles on it if they can get a new one for about the same amount?
    Trading any car in the first year or two will result in a large loss. Cars depreciate the most in the first three years, and then less (percentage wise) after that.

The first year is the worst, since you'll probably never recoup the "add-on" costs of taxes, fees, and title/tags - unless you trade the car and live in a state that credits the tax paid that way.
    Since I drive my 1999 Protege alot (almost 30K now), I will probably never recoup the amount owed on the car. Might as well just drive the damn thing until it dies. Since it's very reliable and has only been in the shop once, hopefully I will get at least 150K out of it.

My roommate, on the other hand, just got a job where he has to do some commuting. He will drive about 40 miles a day. He has nearly 18K now, so I know the car's value will never be recouped. BUT, he could trade it in and put down $1500 on a new car and get close to the same payments, as long as the car isn't more expensive than about $14,500 or so. Then, the extended warranty people (outside source, not Chrysler) said he could get a refund on the warranty of about $1500. That would almost break him even.

Still trying to decide whether or not to trade the Neon on a 2001 Cavalier Z24. I think he needs something better though. But we shall see.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    That warranty at GM turns out to be 2yrs 39K,the 36 mo. 36 K is included.I wonder about the DC warranty.
    You might want to consider an Escort rather than a Cavalier - the Escort has had a better reputation than the Neon or Cavalier for years now. I think Ford phased out all but the sporty ZX-2 for the 2001 year, though.

The Focus is clearly a better car than the Escort (and by just about every reviewer's measure, the Cavalier and Neon as well), but it hasn't exactly come out of the gate trouble-free (a couple of major recalls, one I believe involving all of them).
    DaimlerChrysler's warranty is the same as GM's - 3/36 bumper to bumper, no extended powertrain warranty standard (at least in the US).
    well I think I've beat this down before but just look at numbers from edmunds. A 1999 civic DX sedan with common options and normal mileage has a trade in of $9765 just $1500 more then a comparable 1999 neon. The accord cost $3000 more initially not counting the rebate on the neon for most of 1999 was $2000 (the rebate has always been at least $1000 on the neon, its just something chrysler almost always does on all of thier products not matter how well they are selling.) So you potentially pay $5000 more for a civic but just two years later it's only worth $1500 more then a neon. All that time you got worse gas mileage and equal repair costs (both covered under warrenty) and less driving excitement. I'll take a neon over the overpriced imports anyday.
    well all i am getting ready to take my neon into the shop on Monday Oct 30,2000... i ham having them look at my cd player, idol speed, the vibration and raddling in my dash board, and anything else that i can think of between now and then!!! i think that 10 to 1 says that they say nothing is wrong and that "Everything seems fine to us!" will be one of the first words to come out of there mouths! also i want to know why my damn trunck doesn't pop up! oh also i my drivers side power mirror doesn't go down it will go up and to the left and right just not down! humm... Well i will talk to you all later!
    TubbyN