Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    There are VERY few cars that will hold their value. Remember the price gouging on the Prowler? Or the Viper? Look at them in the resale market. New cars are NOT an investment! As fdthird said, buy it and drive the wheels off of it! If you want a new car every couple of years, lease. IMHO, there are very few "reasonable" reasons to get a new model car. The few changes are usually styling modifications anyway, with very few safety or preformance upgrades. BMW's seem to have a higher resale, but the car is relatively the same for the past 10 years. The same with the 'Vette (up until the C5). If you can afford to buy a new car every couple of years, that's great. Just don't worry about the resale value. Again, I agree with fdthird. One reason most of us are in debt up to our collective eyelids is the "need" for the latest and greatest. Who says TV doesn't influence our decisions? I also feel this has helped drive the cost of a new car through the roof. Who woulda thunk of a SEVEN year car loan ?

Sorry for the rambling. This is just a "raw nerve" with me.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Hear hear to fdthird and ezaircon4jc.

Even many "collector cars" have only kept up with inflation. And that's just if you look at the purchase price, and don't consider maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I love cars, but the reasons aren't economic that's for sure!

Personally, I'm glad that so many people like to lease (i.e. perpetually in debt) or buy new cars and sell them "when they're tired to them". Because then the market for two year old cars IS flooded, and I can buy them for 30% off! Heh, heh, heh. ;-)
  • taurus2000seltaurus2000sel Member Posts: 4
    warranty replacements took all day (left it at 730am, picked up at 500pm. mostly the dealer took more than an hour to diagnose and replace the EGR pressure sensor to extinguish the Emissions (service engine?) dash light at 9K miles on this 2000 24v SE(L). I wonder if it can be caused by semihard acceleration on a not fully warmed up engine (when I first noticed the light on) possibly? What/why is a EGR psi sensor?

Brake light switch replacement on the adjustable pedals seems to have cured the ABS dash light problem, as pointed out by MinnesotaArt.

6 CD cartridge...Best Buy in Oxnard did not carry, but see that www.nexxon.com (for Aiwa MCDMG55 6 DISC CARTRIDGE $25, incl shipping) may be a source, versus dealer $75. Can anyone confirm?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    since I occasionally use "gotta", as supreme commander of starfleet command, I grant you permission to use "oughta", but you'd better send sincere apologies to every English teacher you ever had...:)
  • minnesotaartminnesotaart Member Posts: 52
    If you didn't already send those apologies to your English teachers, you kinda shoulda by now.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Okay, but I was one of only a handful in my classes that actually received an A...

I think there might be a line to apologize...

at least there oughta be! ;>

and to stay on topic: any news on the next Taurus being RWD?
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The rumor is that the 2004 Taurus will either use the FWD Volvo S80 platform or a stretched version of the 2003 Mazda 626 FWD platform. There are rumors of a RWD sedan, code named Fairlane, using the Lincoln LS platform to fill the gap between the 2004 Taurus (a slightly smaller car than the current version) and the Crown Victoria.
    I hope they go with the Volvo for their base.

But that doesn't seem like much of a gap, unless Ford plans to take the Vic up in price/size, which could happen; somewhere I read a rumor that the '02 Vic could be stretched 6".

But a Fairlane on a T-Bird/LS/S-Type platform sounds good. I'd like to see more RWD setups out there...
    I have an LS, and due to the expense of the chassis I doubt that Ford will use it for a "gap" filler type of car. The Mustang will get a modified version of the DEW98. There is supposed to be a "baby LS" on a shortened version of the LS, but the Fairlane name wasn't mentioned. It Don't forget, it is the same aluminum suspension as the Jag Type-S.
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    On that A you received in English - it seems like this year's spelling champion was from Minnesota. One of the words he had to spell was "oughta". (Kidding except for the part of the spelling champ being from MN)
    We b gud at spelan. Ritin 2...

so how does this used Sable look? (It was owned by my drafting boss's brother.)

I've decided against buying new, for now, so I can save for a few years and buy a house...

Of course I am open to donations. :)
    It looks pretty good from the pic. Did you check out Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book? My '96 LS has cloth and leather seats. Does it have the JBL stereo? The Duratec engine is VERY nice! Mine has been very reliable for the past 102k miles. Had to do a water pump and A/C compressor clutch, but that's about it. Other than routine maintenance. Have fun in your search.
    Dealer Retail according to KBB is $14,100; Edmunds says $13,500.

I don't know if it has the JBL; my boss thinks it has ABS and the automatic climate control (which the web page doesn't list).

I guess I just need to go for a test drive now...
    You would love the auto climate control. I set mine at 72 a few years ago and only touched it to defrost the front window!

I believe all LS' have ABS. Mine stops on a dime!

According to the values that you listed, it sounds like a good price. I figured on a "high" milage car the miles must be mostly freeway miles and therefore pretty easy miles.

Off the line the 6 isn't that potent. Once you get to about 3000 RPM's, hold on! The Duratec is most happy in the upper rev's. You can also shift manually to get better launch's.

Have fun!!!
    I took it out for about a 14 mile test drive on roads I drive every day. I found it comfortable, but I seemed to notice quite a bit of torque steer. (I've been driving RWD for 95% of my licensed life.)

You're right about the Duratec liking the upper RPMs (this one did); but I'd put 3-4k miles on my dad's '96 Taurus LX with a Duratec, and it was quick off the line. Rode a little smoother, too. But, that was 2 years ago. Could be my memory is fuzzy?

It's too bad; this Sable is mint, and the price is good, but I guess its not the one for me...

Thanks for all your help though!
    Unfortunatly, torque steer is a by-product of FWD. I must have gotten used to it as I didn't notice it much until I bought my Lincoln. I forgot how much fun and stable the RWD platform is! I don't think I could ever go back!
  • sxr2sxr2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, We recently purchased a 2001 Taurus and it says to use 5-20 oil in it , doesnt that sound like it would be aliitle thin and offer no protection when the temps get really warm outside, Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this subject. Thanks Greg
    Soon, everyone will be recommending that oil. Ford is ahead of the curve in that 5W-20 is now standard on all 2001 Fords. As long as you follow the manufacturer's directions, it will be fine. The newer engines are designed with close tolerances so they don't need as thick of an oil for full protection. It also increases gas mileage a littl bit. The tough part, for the do-it-yourselfer, is that 5W-20 is generally not available in stores yet - you need to have the change done at the dealer for now.
  • taurus2000seltaurus2000sel Member Posts: 4
    the warranty replacement of the brake light switch for the recall did not cure the ABS light intermittently coming on (seems to be on more so when the cabin temp is up after sitting in the sun). Must be some of the adjustable pedal grease got into the ABS system?
    I heard on a different board that this is a very common problem and that it is a problem with the sensor switch (or something like that). It is replaceable under warranty. Have the dealer check it out.
  • sxr2sxr2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, has anyone installed a thule roof rack on there 2000 or 2001 taurus 4 door sedan,How does it fit? thanks for any advice . greg
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    As newer engines are develeloped, so comes the pressure from the E.P.A. to make gasoline cleaner and oil perform better as to attain higher mileage. As minnesotaart states 5W20 will be the recommended oil. The key word is recommended.

Any quality 5W30 or 10W30 will perform just fine for you if you want to change your oil yourself. These oils will meet engine specs. Check the oil rating listed in your manual(should be SJ)and on the back of the quart that you select. As long as they conform you're all set.
  • bajabillbajabill Member Posts: 60
    Im shopping for a vehicle for a daughter in college, 100 miles from home. My long road seems to be leading to a 2000 Taurus or Sable. Safety is the main concern and the wife initially wanted a jeep cherokee, the used market is soft on them now, but has opened to cars. Ive always objected to the jeep and dont believe them to be safe, especially without ABS and the need for 4wd in the rain and snow, versus a FWD. We test drove this weekend and my wife likes the Taurus/Sable. Drove but did not like the Grand Prix or Sonata. Sat in and did not like the 626. Cant compare the accord or camry from a price standpoint, I will need to go 2 or 3 years older for these models to get to the same price of a 2000 ford.

One Lnk/Merc dealer is offering a 5 year/75k warranty, from original purchase date, and I looked on the ford web page and cant find any info on this program. They have a lot of used car warnty info but none have a 5/75 option. I am trying to determine the value of this feature. Many of their programs have a deductible and potential loopholes so I am leary of the extended wrnty. I bought a certified used cadillac and the program was great, no loopholes, even covered light bulbs, no deductible, always provided a cadillac loaner car, they even rented one for me once when their fleet was saturated - and that was not at the purchasing dealer.

Has anyone heard or have experience with the ford/L/Merc used car warranty programs.
  • ndfarndfar Member Posts: 19
    How are the transmissions on the 1999 and newer Taurus's? Is it wise to get the extended warranty or is it a waste of money?
  • car77car77 Member Posts: 1
    Well,hope someone can help me with this one.

In the process of buying a new 2001 Taurus and want to make the best choice of.engines.Does anyone know of any problems with any of these 3 engines.

1- 3.0 liter V 6
    2- 3.0 liter V 6 24 valve Duratec
    3- 3.0 liter V 6 flexible fuel

Once bought a Cadillac with a 4-6-8 engine, enough said about that, don't want to make that mistake again.
    From another web board I read, a lot of people have had trouble with pinging on the flexible fuel engine and not getting a satisfactory fix from Ford either. No major problems with the other two, but I prefer the power of the 24V Duratech. I don't think I pay a big penalty in gas mileage over the regular 3.0 (Vulcan). I have a 2000 SEL with the Duratech and I get about 20-22 mpg in town and 29-30 on the highway.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    On Friday, 22 June, my red 2000 Taurus SEL reached it's first birthday. This is the first car that didn't have to go back to the dealer to have something fixed! Oh, of course it did have that little ABS recall, but that only took 15 minutes while I waited.

I have 6400 miles on it and have had NO problems at all!! It zoomed up mountains on my trip through West Virginia even with the air on, going 70 mph without hesitation. No engine knock, either. I think that possibly some of the problems people are having are caused by rough drivers. I have always treated my cars like the expensive investment that they are and not like disposable items. My last two Mustangs EACH lasted 16 years and I sold both of them for more than someone who didn't take of them which includes twice yearly waxings.

Yeah, who cares about resale when you can take care of a car and put your saved money into a good mutual fund!!
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I have a 2000 SE with the FFV engine and I've noticed light pinging when climbing hills on the freeway. Has anyone tried mid-grade fuel to solve this problem? Did it help?
  • jckozakjckozak Member Posts: 1
    I have a freind who owns a 2001 Focus who thinks that car is a gift from God and trashes Taurus which I currently own. Anyone want to set him straight?
    you find a new friend...

;)
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Funny you should ask.....

In March we took delivery of my wife's 2001 Taurus SEL. Great car and she loves it! Lots of room, drives like a dream, great seats (leather buckets) and love the way the whole car is designed. My wife thinks we made a very good choice.

In April we took delivery of my son's 2001 Focus SE Sport Sedan. Also a great car! For the size and the price great room and very good interior (better looking than my Mom's Toyota Camry LE). The car is a pip to drive and the standard equipment is very good.

In short.. our family likes both cars. In late April we brought my son his new Focus at school (about 250 miles away). My wife drove her Taurus and I drove the Focus. Both cars were great on the trip up. On the way back I drove the Taurus and it is obviously the more luxurious of the two. Very comfortable and a more isolated ride than in the Focus.

The bottom line is that they are both good cars but they are different cars. First the Taurus cost almost $10,000 more and is a different kind of a car. I would have no problem buying or recommending either. The Focus would make a great second car for a family or only car for someone. The reality is that it is a better all around car than my 2000 Mustang convertible (but not when the tops down!!). The Taurus is a great family car with lots of room, luxury, and good driving manors.

Sorry... can't shoot down the Focus. They are both good cars but kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

FDIII
  • davedorey1davedorey1 Member Posts: 3
    Wow! Bought a 2000 Taurus SES week before last for under $12,000! We are so impressed that we sold the 2000 Accord EX that we still owed $18,000 on, and are now looking for a 24 valve 2000. This is really a great little vehicle, the wife prefers the smooth ride of the Taurus over the sportier/firm ride of the Accord. Any great links for Ford accessories?
  • gudanovgudanov Member Posts: 4
    I've been quite happy with my '99 Taurus that we bought used a year ago. We've put 20,000 miles on it so far and haven't had any serious problems. Just a sticky seatbelt that was replaced under warranty and a noise in the ventilation system that was also fixed under warranty. Could have lived with both problems if we had to pay to get them fixed, but the dealer took care of both without any fuss.

Considered the Camry and Accord, but there was just no comparison for what we could get for the money with a low-mileage used car. If we were buying new, I might have gone with the Accord for the better mileage and manual transmission, but I can't say the Taurus has disappointed. I also like the funky interior that doesn't look like everything else.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I believe after kicking and screaming and denying (sounds familiar to Firestone owners doesn't it) Ford covered the 94 3.8L with an extended head gasket warranty. But not the 93 (which I have and is identical and which also blew the head gasket). You are perhaps not familiar with this being a very widespread problem with their cars between 92-95. You can also sue the SOB's in small claims court and I believe u have a good chance of collecting.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    You bought a car that has horrible resale value, so it's not surprising that u feel like u had a good deal. You didn't own it during the first 270K KM so u don't know what it cost. Well I do, I spent over 4000 US$ on the first 90 K for repair (u name it) on my 3.8L 93 Sable and almost a similar amount on my 89 Taurus for the first 150K. So what kind of a moron buys a Taurus for less and pays as much to keep it up as it would have cost to buy an Accord? I guess ME. Maybe I was the unlucky one. But guess what looks good now in my eyes?
    Hello all. Have any of you experienced any slippage and or confusion from the transmission when shifting from first to second speed. It seems to occur when I first start out, but then have to apply the brakes and start again.

Just one of the many developing problems with my 99SE. Currently with 41,000 miles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    $12800, 26000 miles. (not the beefy engine)

This is a whole lot of nice car for this money and has 10k miles of original warranty and 6yr/75k mile limited powertrain, $100 deductable warranty. the extended warranty was not as good as I hoped but it also includes some roadside assistance perks. I think the value of the wrnty is about $500.

One has to wonder why the competing cars are so much higher in the used market. I know the ford/mercs are plentifull, but I cant justify 2 or 3 thousand more for a same year grand prix, impala, and 3 or 4 thousand more for a same year accord or camry. All cars will depreciate to minimal dollars in time, why put more in up front? Unless you get out of it after driving and say "holy s??t that was nice. But the cars in this group are not going to get that reaction from me

here is a link provided to me in the warranty section of town hall for ford cert used program

http://www.fordvehicles.com/shopping/preowned/

I could not find it from the simple ford.com page.

I am out of the car market for a little while, but never done looking!!!!

• s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    By the time you spend $2000 on a good Ford ESP Warranty or else pay repairs yourself, then lose a couple grand extra on depreciation, the Taurus is not that much cheaper if at all.
    Since you bought the Taurus used and a big depreciation hit has already been taken, that will lessen the cost in your situation unless you end up spending a lot of money on repairs that not covered by the warranty in a few years.
    There is more potential depreciation on the accord because it would have cost more. Older cars tend to have less dollar differences in price, because they are all heading toward zero. Yes, the taurus dropped a lot the first year or two, that is why I would not buy a new one. I saved on this hit, the accord does not exhibit this behavior so that would be a reason to buy the accord new. But for me to get to 13k, I need to get a 98 accord vs 00 taurus. You can spout till you are blue in the face and never convince me that you know with much certainty that a older accord will be more reliable than a newer taurus, especially with 10k of full warranty to test it out. If it is a bad car, I will replace it.

Here are some facts I place some faith in

not All accords are problem free
    not All taurus' are lemons

Be carefull when you believe the statistic thrown at you regarding reliability, they are always presented in one fashion and looking at them from another angle may reveal that the chances of getting a GOOD car form any manufacturer are very similar. The chances of getting a BAD car vary greatly from manufacturer.
    Remember when we went out and just bought cars we liked?? No worry about residual value, JD Power stats, or the like.

I still think that buying a car can be a crap shoot. I've had Toyotas that were garbage, a Honda that rusted away, and a Mercury that I had to finish the assembly on. Also have had great experiences with other vehicles from the same companies.

Also, please stop bashing people who have already bought a car. We really don't care how smart you are and what jerks we were. Thanks for your advice but who asked!!!

FDIII
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    all recent Taurus motors are rock solid. The 3.0 vulcan is solid, the Duratec is also solid. My v8 SHO motor is stunning. I wish it had a lil' bit more torque, but certainly it is top notch in quality!

Amazing that GM can't even come close to these Ford motors.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    "Amazing that GM can't even come close to these Ford motors."

Sorry to rain in your parade but the 3.0L Vulcan 'Pushrod' V6 doesn't even come close to the smooth power delivery, fuel economy and durability of the 200/205/240HP (Supercharged)3800 Series II V6 engine. Sorry no comparison there.

The Duratec 24V is certainly better than the lackluster Vulcan but still the pushrod 3800 Series II outruns it, has a flatter torque curve and has much better oomph from the get-go. Now comparing 'apples to apples' the 3.5L DOHC 'Shortstar' (215hp) found in the Olds Intrigue and Olds Aurora 3.5 is a much superior engine than the Duratec. The Duratec is OK for the most part and just adequate in terms of performance and fuel economy.

Let's not get into automatic transmissions as GM is the clear 'KING' in making the smoothest most efficient and durable automatic slushboxes in the world. The BMW Z3, 3, 5 and 7 series all use GM automatic transmissions, standard.

Don't believe me? See it right here:

www.gmpowertrain.com

Where I am going to agree with you is about the late Yamaha derived DOHC V8 engine found in the Taurus SHO. Clearly a super reliable engine that not even Ford could dream of building on their own.

Too bad that Ford, in their infinite wisdom, dropped the Taurus SHO, the best and only reason to look at a Taurus sedan. Now the Taurus/Sable are just copycat Accord/Camry sedans.

Maybe you Ford lovers should write to Jac 'The Knife' Nasser to see if the Aussie CEO brings back the SHO or decides to bring a more substantial vehicle like the new Ford Mondeo or something along the lines of the Australian Ford Falcon. Also tell him to stop messing with Ford's public perception and to stop cutting corners in quality to meet his ridiculous budget projections and also to stop issuing recalls before the cars even hit the show rooms. :)
    Maybe you GM lovers should go to your own forum!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Just leaving now.....not before setting some facts straight :)

Hasta la vista!
    If this were limited to only those who think alike, the forums would have little value. Respectfully presented alternative schools of thought should be welcomed.

For me, I had a thunderbird, V8 because the V6 was weak
    have a 98 Explorer, V8, because the V6 was weak at that time
    had a 94 ranger, 4.0l V6, acceptable, but once again large for only 160hp

The duratec engine currently in the taurus is a good engine as are the 6s in the newer explorers and escape. I think ford was a little behind (timewise) the competition in offering these better alternatives to the "larger" solution to more power.
    Your GM products remind me of that girl we all knew with the great personality on the inside but just butt ugly on the outside. What's up wth the styling on the Impala?. Can they make the tail lights any bigger?. Also, while we're at it, who has more scoops. Baskin - Robbins, or anything Pontiac produces. I can go on and on.
  • davids10davids10 Member Posts: 11
    There are 2 sensors on the trans (at least the AX4S trans). They are called, I believe, the TSS (turbine speed sensor) and the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). If one or the other is going haywire, your shifting will be goofy as you described. If you are not getting the check engine light coming on so Ford can check the trouble code, I do not know how you are going to see which sensor, if either, is causing trouble. Maybe you should ask Ford about these two.
  • csousacsousa Member Posts: 1
    I've been debating keeping my leased '99 Taurus SE w/40K mi. since the buy out is only $8,000 HOWEVER, after reading all these posts I'm not sure I should.

So far with my Taurus I've had to have:
    1. the tie-rods replaced (under warranty),
    2. the rotors machined once and then replaced (at my expense) which included the brake pads which still squeak and now braking is vibrating the steering wheel again!!
    3. the rear lube tube replaced (recall)
    4. the tires balanced numerous times for vibration at 50-70 mph (at my expense).
    5. the back quarter-panels painted due to chipping/scratches that happened in the service dept.

In addition, the front seats' material is buckling up like they aren't attached properly underneath and two dealerships refused to repair saying it will be considered "normal wear & tear".
    My Taurus also PINGS/KNOCKS constantly when using 87 octane gas, especially uphill and the transmission is starting to hesitate it's shifting and kind of jerks when shifting even after having it serviced! And NOW, there's a very strange moaning noise that comes from the rear end when turning left and the dealership says it's the "after market brakes" my husband installed! WHATEVER!
    So I was thinking "what else could possibly go wrong?, I'll just keep it and lower my payment!"
    But gee, after typing all this (*PHEW!*)it makes me realize what all I have endured and I better get out while I can!!!
    I'm actually considering a 2001 Ford Focus ZTS.
    Any thoughts on that car? I know the 2000's have had probs.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I think 'after all your typing' you've come to the right conclusion - run from this car. The transmission shift problem could become big money problems.

Buy a Honda.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    as a refresher, the v8 SHO motor is a Ford Duratec, its the 2.5v6 with two extra cylinders. Yamaha designed the heads, otherwise its all Ford.

Your beloved 3800 is a good motor. But its kinda bland in standard form. I've driven about 8 cars with it and all have been so dull I've almost nodded off. I ain't saying its not reliable because it is. The supercharged version is quick too if the car's not too heavy but the Riviera I drove with it was sloooowwwww. But 95 percent of folks have the un-SC version and its not any better than what's available in 10 other makes. Nissan, Toyota, Honda, all make better v6's.

I basically had in mind GM's 3.1 and 3.4 when comparing. Why they even continue to build those motors amazes me. A lot fo articles I've seen say competitive make's 4 cylinders are more desirable. Time for an upgrade. Pushrods are fine in pickups....get em out of the cars. All the good motorcycle makers even use OHC almost exclusively.

Those are the motors I compare the Vulcan to. The Vulcan gets good MPG and is durable, but its not a tire burner. As a pushrod motor its better than GM's 3.4.

I consider the 3.0 DOHC superior to the GM 3.8 because its more entertaining to drive and is smooth. It revs freer. And I know of no one who's had mechanical trouble with any Duratec motor, whether its the 2.5 in the Contour or the 3.0 in the Taurus.

Too bad GM is kiling the Shortstar. Typical GM...eliminate a good product and continue to push crap like the 3.4 on the general public. Why don't they put the Shortstar in the Impala and Grand Prix?????????? or in the Minivans and Azteks??????? Becuase they'd rather sell you the 3.4!!!!!! LOL.
This discussion has been closed.