Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    While driving in Rural Western Pa. I came across a Honda Accord along side the road with the hood up. I stopped to render assistance and He informed me his 2000 Accord died. Then He was on the cell phone and was mad as hell when he was informed that the closes Honda Dealer was State College about 2 hours away. Had he bought a Gm Ford or Chrysler, help was only about 2 miles down the road in the next town. Thank God it wasn't a Kia because the closes dealer was 3 1/2 hours away in Pittsburgh. I love my Van and the best warranty is knowing that if I need help its only a few miles away in the next town.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    hummm, let's see. the last time i checked, the dc minis had the lowest rate of insurance claims and costs vs other vans...boy, they must really be unsafe!!!

it is truly amazing how much faith people will put in one stop shopping...ie crash test star ratings...!
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    '"Driver's minivan" ranks right up there with "exciting refrigerator"'

perhaps. but id much rather have an exciting refrigerator (dc minivan) versus a boaring refrigerator (honda odyssey).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think we've covered most of this before.

Anyone can comment anywhere on Town Hall so long as they are civil, on topic, etc.

So feel free to discuss problems or solutions here - any more off-topic bashing will fall under my housekeeping broom.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I don't think that was a fair statement, you would see all kind of cars having problem on the road side from time to time. Nobody would buy a Porsche/Ferrari if they judge by how many dealers they have.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Daimler - Chrysler minivans have is with trollers who drive some other minvan. I drive a boring kitchen utensil Odyssey. ;)
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    I think its a very fair statement especially when you drive the rural areas. If I lived in the big city like Cleveland, it would't bother me. Most people in our area drive the vehicles that have dealers close by. My third vehicle is a Rodeo which I will be getting rid of soon and I have to drive almost two hours to get it worked on by an Isuzu dealer.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Well, for all those who cheerlead DaimlerChrysler, here's a very interesting admission about its past attitudes toward quality:

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirf6_20020306.htm

I wonder what they're -not- saying, but that they know about?

eneth,

what i got out of that article is that there is a concerted effort to improve quality, and the results show it. if you wanna spin it as something other than that...well, i guess that is your perogative...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    It may be a little late in the game after they drive away thousands of customers. They almost went out of business once by building junk and now they are admitting it again. Some companies never learn. If it wasn't for all the people who work for DC that would suffer for the stupidity of an Enron type company, I would say so long and good riddance.
  • johnd12johnd12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I noticed other people having this issue.
    Mine is 1999 GR Sport and i had it in 3 times for this problem.
    Looks like they cannot fix it properly.Just keep an eye on it.Sounds like they have a design problem.
    Maybe you should read that article again. I read about a company that aknowledges past quality mistakes and problems but is moving on to make better vehicles. If you want to turn that around and say that all Chrysler cars are crap, than that's your misinformed mistake to make...

Has Chrysler had serious reliability problems in the past? YES. According to that credible article, are they making serious efforts to correct those problems? YES.

As for this effort to improve quality being too little to late for Chrysler as dmathews sugguests, it very well could be. But then again, how many more minivans did Chrysler sell last month over the Honda Snobyssey?
    So they sold more vans than Honda but it will take more than one vehicle to make a company. Even Honda couldn't survive on just one car. They say they have changed, but they have said that many times before. You know the old saying "The sky is falling" I was bitten twice before they were DC, and there is no way in h-- that they will get a third chance. Have you not bought something before and got screwed on it and said never again. If not, you are one of the few.
    dmathews,

the "data" now backs up what chrysler is saying. obviously that wasn't true in the past...
    You bring up a good point, but as emale has just said, the data now backs up the claims made by Chrysler on their improved reliability and quality. That was not true in the past as it was mostly just talk with no real results.

I have been burned by various products in the past as have people in my family. However, if I like a certain product and the facts show that they have improved in whatever was lacking before, why not give it a second chance? Especially if this product offers so many nice features that many other competitors don't, like DC minivans...
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The biggest problem is that this isn't the first time Chrysler has had to own up to past quality mistakes. Iacocca did just that in the 80s - and the poor quality continued. They did it again in the 90s - and the poor quality continued. The big question now is, "are they finally going to do something about it, or is this just another PR ploy to get buyers to reconsider Chrysler Group products?".

Ironically, it would seem that Chrysler's quality - while it still by far trails GM and most of the imports - is now better than Ford's - is improving, while its parent company is rapidly slipping in quality. Mercedes-Benz is not the paragon of quality it once was - and its M-class SUVs are ranked quite poorly, behind even the dismal Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Once again, we've got a plea to reconsider - and if you're a gambler, or don't keep cars long term, you may buy into that. If you plan on keeping a new van long-term, you might do well to sit back and let someone else find out whether, after over thirty years of trying and failing miserably, Chrysler Group has finally figured out how to design a reliable car/van and produce it consistently well.

Things may have changed, but the perceptions based on production of past junk will persist until Chrysler Group proves it can do more than just advertise quality.
    no, the biggest problem is people who fail to even recognize improvement when it is right in front of their eyes.

a quote, The big question now is, "are they finally going to do something about it, or is this just another PR ploy to get buyers to reconsider Chrysler Group products?".

that is no longer the question because the "data" from whatever source(s) you choose indicates something is being done about it.

btw, where is chrysler group ranked far behind gm? i just read that the chrysler group actually scored better overall then gm or ford in the latest consumer reports raffle!! one of chrysler's cars was even on par with the camry...
    emale says: btw, where is chrysler group ranked far behind gm? i just read that the chrysler group actually scored better overall then gm or ford in the latest consumer reports raffle!! one of chrysler's cars was even on par with the camry.
    One car on par with the Camry doesn't make a car company. I live in Michigan (home of the auto industry) and I remember reading in the Detroit Free Press last year that Chrysler spent more on warranty repairs than the rest of the Big Three conbined. Now figure a company that sells less than the others with higher repair costs than GM and Ford combined doesn't say much. They better be doing more than lip service as like eneth said they screwed us in the 80's and made a bunch of hollow promises, then again in the 90's, more promises, and here we are in a new century and they are still making promises. Hopefully this time they don't speak with a forked tongue. They got me once in the 80's and once in the 90's but never again. If all DC customers take my attitude they're HISTORY.
    dmathews3,

here is a recent link (originally posted by eneth) that will give you some new information vs what you remember from some article you read a year ago...

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirf6_20020306.htm

overall, what i find amazing is that even when almost all the "information" out there directly points to significant improvement at chrysler group (which is entirely different than chrysler just saying it is improving); some of you choose to absolutely ignore it. but, when the shoe was on the other foot, accepted it without reservation. simply mindboggling!!

What I'm saying is I let them bite me twice, it's going to be a long, long time and a lot of facts before they get my money the third time, if ever.
    dmathews3,

the fact that you've been "bitten" twice and they could still get your money a third time says alot. i'd think that if you were DONE with chrysler, you wouldn't even be in this topic. so why are you and eneth here anyway? i'm done with pontiac after a horrible '92 grand prix ownership, but i never go over to those topics to argue with people about how crappy the grand prix is. i just have to wonder what the motivations are...?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if this forum could be used to discuss specific problems with Dodge/Chrysler minivans, and solutions to those problems, rather than Dodge/Chrysler "bashing"? That could be fodder for a different forum, maybe under "News and Views", where everyone could bash away to their hearts content and leave this problem-solving board to us Dodge/Chrysler minivan owners.
  • webndebwebndeb Member Posts: 3
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.
  • abtsellerabtseller Member Posts: 291
    Hi, Folks,

I just picked up a used '94 Grand Caravan LE, loaded, quad seating, etc, (2 years on new trans) :) and need to program some new keyless entry transmitters. Anyone here know the magic sequence?

Ed
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The vehicle is a 1990 Grand Voyager 3.3 with 135K miles. Since last fall have had major tuneup (plugs, wires, O2 sensor, air filter, fuel filter, throttle body service) and new fuel pump. The fuel pump seemed to take care of occasional around town stalling but still have a problem of stalling at the end of a 200 mile freeway drive. This has happened 4 or 5 times.

The typical sequence is drive 200 miles with only a couple stops for toll boths. Exit freeway, drive 2-3 miles to destination and have it stall within a block of home. Any thoughts on this?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    After a similar problem and TB service I now spray the air intake to the TB with Gunk TB Cleaner about once a month, with engine running. You have to speed up the idle while you spray so engine doesn't die. That seems to take care of the problem. But I would check to see if there are any trouble codes recorded in the computer, too.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I too have a '90 GVLE with 141,000 on the clock. Can't tell you exactly what your stalling problem is. I had two things that might be close. Our second transmission failed 1,000 miles ago. The tell-tale sign was an occasional "bogging" at stops. You'd press the gas and nothing happened. We also had the fuel rail failure. I don't remember this effecting driveability and you can definitely smell the gas if this is happening.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Thanks for the ideas. No gas smell at all. Had my 2nd tranny (a Jasper reman that only lasted about 36K miles) rebuilt less than 6K ago. I'm taking it in for service next week so maybe the mechanics will find something. I'm sure it's one of the many sensors going bad, the trouble is figuring out which one.
  • davidcar9davidcar9 Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

We are experiencing a similar problem with our new 2002 T&C EX with the 3.8L engine. The problem was noticeable at 400 miles. At idle, in gear, the idle will drop to as low as an indicated 550 RPM (actually 600 RPM on dealer's instrument). At 700 RPM and below, we get an uneven shudder/vibration every 1-2 seconds. The vibration can be mild to severe. The vibration is most noticeable after the engine is warmed up but is also felt when the engine is cold. We've been to several dealers and everything checks out OK. The dealers claim the vibration is normal - a Chrysler zone representative examined it and found no problems.

One dealer performed a cooling fan shroud reinforcement, as described in a TSB dated December 14, 2001. This repair did not fix the vibration problem.

Has anyone had this problem and been able to get if fixed?
    is your air conditioner kicking on/off?? the compressor can often times cause vibrations...btw, welcome to townhall...
  • bharrellbharrell Member Posts: 21
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan eL. Anybody have any insight on whether or not they are still using the same transmission that have continued to have problems with or have they finally replaced it with something new? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I currently drive a 2000 Mazda MPV and like it pretty well, but I am looking for a larger van and more comfort features
    The 4 speed automatic transmissions that Chrysler uses in their current cars and minivans is a much better product than the one that was used just 3-4 years ago and every year the rate of transmission failures in DC minivans before 30k miles drops. We are on our second DC minivan and have never had any serious problems with them. Our current ride is a 2000 Town & Country LX with the 3.3 V6 engine and with 40k miles it runs very nicely. The transmission in our van is so smooth that if it wasn't for the tachometer you wouldn't be able to tell it was shifting.

Good luck on the purchase of your new van!

-Adam
    I've driven two 02 DC/GC Sports but haven't ordered one yet; will wait for DC to spring for Gen 4 buckles for all the seating positions, not just the front two. As far as the transmissions are concerned, they seem much smoother than our '94 GC. With the 7/100 powertrain warranty at no cost, I wouldn't worry a lot about the trans. (Ody trans costs more than twice as much to replace, and their extended warranty is about $900 discounted).
  • carlton_bcarlton_b Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a used minivan and came across a 2000 Plymouth Voyager with 53,000 miles. Could anyone give me some advice on this model. Consumer Reports gives it excellent ratings on most everything, but says reliability is spotty. This van has the 3.3 v6. Any and all info will be helpful...............Thanks Carlton
  • pmaceypmacey Member Posts: 33
    In December, had check engine light on...scanner showed #2 cylinder misfiring, replaced plug wires with ACCEL(L) wire and problem went away. (spark plugs had all of 9k miles on them)

This week, another MIL, this time #3 cyclinder misfiring. Had dealer replace all plugs as there was heavy carbon buildup...they also said the head gasket was leaking and was a 8HR job and about $110 parts kit to replace.

Want to verify that a leaky head gasket will cause the plugs to foul up and/or promote heavy carbon buildup?

BTW, they wanted to replace my new wires saying they weren't 'Mopar' wires, didn't want to hear that the wires meet and/or exceed OEM specifications...I said no way...would be surprised if ACCEL(L) makes wires for Mopar?

Also, is it normal to do a $80 compression/leak test based on a MIL saying cylinder misfire?

Thanks in advance.
  • hannah10hannah10 Member Posts: 11
    As of today I have spent over $10k in repairs to my 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. It has 64,000 miles. It has never been off road or in any kind of mishap or accident. Almost everything has had to be replaced or repaired, including the gas tank -all by one of the Washington DC areas largest dealerships. Do I have any recourse to anyone--is there a Dodge representative that I can contact? I need someone to at least tell me that this is not normal!
  • phamilton1phamilton1 Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a 2002 and have experienced a problem with cold (winter) air flowing
    in/around the passenger's feet...it seems to come in under the dash where the glove-box is located. It's so cold that the vehicle is almost un-useable below 30F because the passenger
    gets too cold. The dealer has looked at it 3 times and claims there's nothing they can do about it. Has anyone had a similar problem? btw this is my 4th Chrysler van...87,92,97,02 and I've had pretty good luck with them and NO power-train problems...
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Paul: My non-pro thought is that it is suspect to attribute plug problems of all 4 cylinders to a head gasket leak that one would expect to affect one or two cylinders identified by the compression check. Carbon on all plugs should be explained by a source problem common to all cylinders like obstructed air flow or an ignition ploblem common to all 4 cylinders. On the other hand, a leaking head gasket needs to be replaced.
    James: Your $10,000 expenses must be some sort of extreme example of a lemon. Consumer Rprts has consistently shown the '96 to be somewhat more problematic than the '95 but I have had a '95 for 3 years and now have 80,000 miles and have had one unexpected breakdown with a water pump failure. I have replaced a battery that failed after a normal life and same for front brake pads. I am going to risk being guilty of blaming a victim and say that going to the "biggest" dealer is more likely to result in big bills rather than small ones. When I need car repair, I go to a two man shop, owner and assistant, where I get personalized problem analysis from a knowledgeable mechanic who cares about my problem. I recommend that the cord to the dealer be cut.
    Pete: I would get a friends recommendation of a good body shop to trouble-shoot your leak.
    I would try a different dealer. All the vents are run off vacumim and it sounds like either one of the doors aren't closing for one reason or another. Does sound like a job that could require complete removeal of the dash before it's over in order to properly find and replace the problem. As long as there are no holes or seams in that area that is letting cold air in through the body itself. Have you had it long enough to drive in a very heavy downpour where it would would have let water leak in? Just another thought. Unless he can prove all 02's do it than it can be fixed, one way or another.
    Right on, the sooner you cut lose from the dealer the happier and wealthier you will be IMO. Example: $225 for front brake pad replacement by dealer in my area compared to about half that by independent using Raybestos pads. Even worse, many dealers have their own maintenance recommendations which are over and above what the manufacturer (that they ostensibly represent) recommends. Biggest rip IMO is the infamous engine flush. Not far behind is fuel injector service. One DC dealer in my area not only recommends unnecessary services but also recommends more frequent service intervals for the factory recommended services.
    Most dealers are out to make as much as they can at our expense. In the past couple years GM has gotten their oil life senser working very accuracely and now people are finding out that they don't need an oil change every 3000 miles as they were lead to believe. The senser with the computer computes speed, distance, temps, and someother things and counts down from 100% to 0. The dealers are crying major tears. Hopefully someday all cars will have it.
    what we really need are good oil filters. if we had those, we'd rarely need to change the oil because it wouldn't get so contaminated.
    Paper filter should last six months so what's wrong with just changing oil and filter every 6 months as most manufacturers recommend?? Why obsess over the best oil change interval when dino oil and oem filters are designed to last 6 months as proven by tests of on-road driving, e.g CR test of NY taxicabs several years ago. Changing oil every three months is a waste of time and creates unnecessary polution.
  • slanzslanz Member Posts: 2
    deciding to buy today. "new" with only 200 miles. $28K good price?
    Not a bad idea to check the True Market Value on your way out the door. Look for the "Customized Appraisal" button too. Good luck.

Steve
    Host
  • slanzslanz Member Posts: 2
    It says the dealer retail is $26751. Dealer here in MT says he can't go lower than $28. He must have more room to work with us?
    Tell him that there is a glut of used cars on the market due to all the zero interest promotions out there. And that even though the '01 is new, the depreciation hit on one year old cars is big. Tell him you're thinking of driving to that big internet Dodge dealer in Kellogg, Idaho (if you really want to make him crazy).

Even better, take a sourpuss grump along as your first baseman, and have him keep telling you to go look at Ventures (or whatever), since GM is dealing on them :-)

Don't forget to listen to your gut too (that van may be worth 32k to you)....

Steve
    Host
    pluto5,

i'm talking about filters that are so good that you would just change the filter every 3k miles and the oil at 50k intervals. i know these new types of filters were being tested on trucks somewhere and getting great results. but i'm not sure what happened to them. sounds like a plot by the petro companies to keep them off the market, cause if you only had to change your oil every 50k, the demand for oil would slip significantly...
  • beemombeemom Member Posts: 3
    I have a one year old T&C (purchased in March 2001)that was purchased in Seattle. In August we moved to Madison, Wi. When we arrived in Madison, it was the hottest, most humid day of the year. Since moving to Madison, the vehicle has a fit starting in the morning when it is humid. (not when it is cold, dry and 15 degrees). The van is kept in an enclosed garage that usually keeps to around 40+ degrees. When I start it on slightly humid mornings, the van will shutter, struggle. It does not die when I back it out of the garage into the driveway. I usually let it warm up a minute before shifting it into drive. This is when it dies, the engine idel speed just deteriorates. It even dies when I lightly put on the gas. No problem lights appear on the dash when it dies. I took it to the dealer late fall and left it with them overnight for them to experience the problem. They thought that one of the computers that mixes the air/gas in the fuel injector may have been confused coming from SEattle (no humidity) to Madison, expecially when going over LoLo pass in Montana (high altitude/humidity). They cleared out the computer chip so that the sensors could respond to Madison's climate. Worked ok for about 2 weeks, it is back to its old problems even though it seems to only die once instead 3-4 times as I would drive down the block (when I took my foot off the accelerator to break). Any idea what is going on???????
  • beemombeemom Member Posts: 3
    Same van bought in Seattle. After van was warmed up (driven 2 or 3+ miles)occasionally the van would emit a very high pitched whine/squeal when I would be turning right. At the beginning this would only occur on warm days and when I was turning a corner. I am not braking when this occurs. I took it into the dealer in Seattle at least 2 times and they could not replicate the noise. They did check the suspension, however, but nothing. I now notice it when I am driving on arterials at around 35-40 MPH and veering right (not a hard veer). I never know when it is going to start which makes it really frustrating to take to the dealer. Also, its embarrassing to drive a new car that makes such a loud sound. Its hard to tell where the sound it coming from (back, front?) If I turn off the car, the sound doesn't necessarily restart. Anyone else experiencing this? The sound started probably at around 3K miles and the van now has 13K.