Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Sorry folks, but our 2001 SEL with the Continentals and the car does not get knocked around any more than any other cars. You want to talk about getting tossed around in the wind??? We traded in my wife's E-150 high top van for the Taurus. Compared to the van in the wind, the Taurus is on rails!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I own a 2000 Taurus with 15000 miles. I sensed the same feel, compared to the 1990 Taurus I had for 10 years and 98000 miles.
    I think you may notice less sway with little or no deterioration in ride by raising tire pressure to about 36 psi cold, instead of the specified 30 psi. At least it seemed to improve the situation for me. The steering does seem a little more remote than my 90 Taurus, but I soon got used to it. Ride and quietness are much improved with still acceptable tight handling, in my opinion.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I wouldn't put more air in my tires than the recommended psi by Ford. Especially during the warm months of the Summer when tires run hotter than usual and cool down more slowly.

By the way, my tires are Firestone Affinities which came with the station wagon. Actually, I used to put about 2 psi more than what Ford recommends but last time I took the car for service, the advisor told me that the tires were at 36 psi (a gross exaggeration) and used sarcasm.
  • cbassett01cbassett01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Taurus GL with about 98k miles. It's in good working condition (ie. no mechanical problems or body problems). It's been really well cared for. I bought this car used about six months ago, and recently encountered a problem and was hoping that someone can help me out here.

When I took my car in to fill it up with gas the other day, the suddenly stopped working properly (I can't hear anything from the speakers). I was listening to the radio before I shut off the car and it was fine then, but when I turn the car back on again, I don't hear anything. The radio seems to work fine, but I don't hear anything out of the any of the four speakers. I have not had anything like it go wrong in the past six months that I've owned the vehicle. It just seemed to happen that day, and I haven't been able to get it to work since.

I'm not one of those loud music listeners. I listen to the music at a fairly moderate level, and I am very careful about the entire car itself.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about why the speakers wouldn't work all of a sudden? Could it possibly be a blown fuse or damanged wire? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks
    cbassett01
  • bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    My guess is since none of them are working, and the radio is that the speaker wires became unhooked from their harness behind the radio. You'll probably have to unscrew the dash, and pull out the radio to get to the harness. That sort of thing just happens sometimes. Something like that has happened in just about every car I've owned. I hope that helps.
  • krusty3krusty3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the chance to buy a 1999 Ford Taurus LX....16,000 miles, fully loaded for $10k

Is it a good deal????
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking for someone who bought one "twin" over another where the manufacturer offers two or more vehicles based on the same basic platform. (a Maxima vs. an I35 (or I30) or the TL vs. Accord)
    Did you know it was basically the same vehicle as the other?
    Why did you choose it over the other?
    Please submit your response to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 15.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Note the Continental Touring Contact AS tires that Ford appears to be supplying on all 2000 and up Tauri have a max pressure rating of 44 psi cold(cold,which means a car that has not been driven recently, is how you should check your tires, and adjust cold pressures as the seasons change)

Ford and other automakers specify tire ratings to match the ride and handling characteristics they want the vehicle to have. Raising cold tire pressure a few PSI , to 34-36 psi for the Continentals, as long as it does not go beyond the tire manufacturers specifications will not necessarily do any harm.

In fact, underinflation is generally the cause of more tire difficulties. During extended high speeds, internal friction from the tire flexing generates a lot of heat. This heat can cause tire deterioration. More heat is generated with an underinflated tire than one run a few psi higher than the automaker's specs.

The higher pressure, I think slightly improves the tire stability from lateral wind buffeting, which is why it might help reduce the "sway" in windy conditions.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    define "fully loaded"

i.e.......just power windows and locks or are we talking leather, sunroof, alloys, high end audio, Duratec V6, ABS?

if the car is loaded to the hilt like that I would say 10 grand, while an attractive price, is maybe a 500 to 1000 high....especially considering the soft used market right now. If the market were not currently soft, I would say 10 grand may be an acceptable price.

Thing is, at ten grand it still leaves you with enough money to consider an extended warranty. Not that you'll really need it that much, because the late model taurus' are actually quite solid....but it would be an added piece of insurance you could afford now.
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    What's the appeal of the Ford Taurus anyway? I've had a loaner for a few days (hail dings on my JGC), and I'm completely unimpressed with this 98 LX Sedan. While the transmission is smooth and engine powerful enough, just about everything else is icky, and ugly! Seats are hard and uncomfortable, can't even find a comfortable driving position with 6-way power functions. The suspension is comperable to my old big-wheel. I'm being jolted by litteraly every little road defect. My wife's 97 Dodge Stratus rides better as well as all the Hyundai's from 95-97. And what's up with the big, thick everything inside? The power controls are bulky, the steering wheel is bulky, the entire interior is bulky, and hard too. And are Ford vehicle stereos made my audiovox? They're bad! I won't even go into the non-working laundry list, cause that's just the dealership not fixing everything that broken. But shouldn't the cruise control, power windows, and trunk be working after 76K? I know, loaners are driven hard. And maybe the shocks/struts just need to be replaced, as well as a fuse or two. And this vehicle is probably superior to all GM products (really icky), and maybe even more reliable than most DC products (which I'm partial to). But I just don't see the appeal, other than it's American. Ford really has become the "uninspiring point A to point B car company" haven't they. Oh well, to each their own!
    According to Kelly Blue Book you Taurus LX will with the following equipment will cost you:

1999 Ford Taurus LX Sedan 4D

Engine: V6 3.0 Liter 24V
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: Front Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 16,000

Equipment
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel
    Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    Dual Front Air Bags
    ABS (4-Wheel)
    Leather
    Dual Power Seats
    Alloy Wheels

Retail Value $12,375
    The appeal is a combination of a very good car at reasonable cost. For example, I bought my 2000 Taurus SES with the 200 HP 24 Valve DOHC new at the end of the model year in September, 2000 when they had a combined $1000 rebate and 0.9 percent 36 month financing. I paid $18,000 plus sales tax and finance the whole thing, since I was and still am earning more than 0.9 percent in a money market account. This car came standard with power windows, locks, power remote, cruise, ABS, power trunk release, power driver seat, 16" aluminum wheels, etc. Well equipped for a reasonable price.

At 15,000 miles the car has absolutely no rattles, provides good combination of reasonably smooth ride and tight handling, good ergonomics, etc.

Previous to this, I had a 1990 Taurus that still had everything working with no rattles, etc when I sold it at 98,000 miles, and I had very little non routine maintenance required during those 10 years.

The 98 loaner you drove likely had been beat up. Also the 2000's and up are much smoother and quieter.

I am not knocking the Toyotas and Hondas, I am just saying that the Taurus has a very good combination of price and features giving it good value for a full size sedan.

Check the Edmunds 2000 sedan comparisons. Taurus came in third out of ten and had by far the lowest price of the top three.

By the way, just what is a JGC, anyway?
    kelley blue book values these days are not that indicative of real pricing in the current market right now. Post 9/11 when the automakers flooded the market with incentives...the used pricing went to hell because everyone traded in and flooded the market with used cars. Consequently, pricing went down.

The best way to check your cars wholesale value is to have someone who has access to the car auctions let you know what they are currently going for. This is the most accurate barometer.
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    JGC = Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2000 at that. Sounds like you got a good deal at 18K, good for you. I see Ford did revamp the interior as well for 2000, it certainly needed it. Edmunds TMV for trade-ins is pretty close to wholesale/auction trade-in values. Kelly Blue Book has been out of date for years! KBB prices are way too high!
  • g1994stsg1994sts Member Posts: 26
    The tranny on my 99 Taurus performs erratically. Sometimes if I hit the gas a little too quickly at low speeds or from a standing start, the engine will race freely and then the second gear engages and the tires peel out. Just like dumping the clutch with a manual. Is this a quality/reliability issue affecting Fords lately? Has anyone experienced this problem.
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    Here is the following that I negotiated on a lease on a Ford Taurus SES. Here are the options:

Leather
    Power Pedals
    Aluminum Wheels
    Automatic Transmission
    CD Player
    Plus all the standard features

Here is the deal I got:

$1500 Due at Signing (picks up remaining 2 payments of about $800 on current lease)
    $259 per month
    36 months
    12,000 Miles per year
    Ford Motor Credit

The capitalized cost of the car is $21,320.

Is this any good?

Thanks.
    AS
  • quickfordsquickfords Member Posts: 18
    Is anyone experiencing a hard to shut right rear door? The RR door on my mother-in-laws '01 Sable needs to be slammed to get it to shut tight. It was not shut one day, flew open and struck a mail box. The dealer mechanic said they do have another '02 that needs adjusting too. Are there others who have a hard to shut RR door?? Is this a wide spread problem or just a freak episode??
    Thanks for the help.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I am still laughing at finding out that JGC means Jeep Grand Cherokee. Whoa, you'd have to look far and wide to find a more ugly, bumpy, small rear access, hard-seated, no leg room in rear, truck like dash, and did I say butt-ugly vehicle.

I "slug" to and from DC (that's Washington, Dictrict of Columbia) daily and have the opportunity to "test ride" many vehicles. When I see a Jeep approaching I know that I'm in for 30 miles of intestinal upset. I can't even read the paper for all of the bouncing and jousling.

I think your taste is only in your mouth. I'll take ANY year Taurus over ANY Jeep product. No wonder the Army ditched it.
    I have not had it happen, however, dealer should fix it and the sheet metal damage under warranty.

My '00 Taurus has a "door ajar" idiot light that goes on when any door is not fully closed. I assume her Sable has the same, but I don't know if it is standard on all models. Make sure that is working and if she has it, then I would (diplomatically, of course since she is your mother-in-law) tell her make sure she checks her dash for any warning lights before driving off.
    I have had a sticking left rear door on my 99 SHO....brought it in to get it fixed and still no difference....I guess I am stuck with it.
  • TMURFTMURF Member Posts: 10
    How in the world can you put down the Taurus after owning and comparing it to a JGC? I agree with OHIO7. The JGC is a piece of crap. I ought to know - I OWNED one. It nickled and dimed me to death. Worst vehicle I've ever owned
    I guess JGC didn't respond to you guys. Oh well.

Thought I would just list a few little things I would like Ford to do to improve Taurus. All very minor.

1. Front door mounted arm rests are too hard. Makes my elbow hurt after a while. My '90 had more comfortable arm rests.

2. Tight trunk seals make it a hard slam to close the trunk, and it hesitates popping open with the remote trunk release if it hasn't been opened for a while-the seals hold it closed.

3. Ford could copy Buick Century/Regal on their gas assisted rear trunk hinges, which do not intrude into trunk space.

4. Rear center brake light bulge is a bit large- it is a bit irritating in the rear view mirror.

5. Extend your engine/drive train warranty. I think this one thing would help you beat back Camry and Accord in the sales race.

Note all these items, are quite minor. I am still very pleased with my '00 SES w/ 24 dohc V6.

FOMOCO, are you monitoring this? Fix these as a running change and lets put Camry and Accord back into second and third place. Of course, they already are if we lumped Taurus and Sable together.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Anyone rack up some serious miles on a post 2k Taurus? How is it holding up? Any squeaks and rattles?
    I renegotiated that price on a Taurus SES. The options are Leather, CD, Power Pedals, Sunroof, Automatic Transmission and Bucket Seats.

The lease I negotiated is as follows....

$1000 due at signing (Including picking up remaining payments on current lease- comes out to about $800)
    $259 per month
    36 months
    12,000 Miles per year

Someone please tell me if this is any good....

AS
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
  • atcersatcers Member Posts: 26
    Are you sure you want to lease? We all have our reasons for doing what we do BUT after 36 months you will have nothing to show for it! If it is a business write off then it sounds pretty darn good. If it's not a write off then I would personally wait till August or September when the end of year incentives roll out. I purchased a 01 Sable in Oct. of last year with all the same options as you listed including auto climate control for $20835 including taxes and dealer fees. Ford had the 0% for 60 months which applied. I don't know if we will ever see 0% for 60 months again but you may want to wait and see. Just playing devils advocate!

Scott
  • ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    Badgerfan says:
    4. Rear center brake light bulge is a bit large- it is a bit irritating in the rear view mirror.

That was apparently a concern of Ford's too. I've noticed some Tauruses lately with a thin LED third brake light and a much smaller bulge. I presume these are 2002 cars, since it's not all of the newer style of Taurus. Forgot to check a dealer's stock when I was nearby.
    I want to lease it strictly for the reason that I don't like keeping a car once its out of warranty because there is to much that could go wrong and cost a lot of money. Besides that, I can't wait until september because my lease is up at the end of june.

In any case, the deal changed for a final time and here it is and tell me what you think....

2002 Ford Taurus SES
    Leather
    Power Pedals
    15 inch Aluminum wheels (not the painted ones)
    Rear Spoiler
    CD
    Plus all the other standard features....

$1000 Due at signing (includes picking remaining payments due on current lease which total about $800)
    $250 per month (including tax)
    36 months
    12,000 miles per year

The MSRP of the car is $21,320 and the sale price is $19,320. The captilized cost is $16,320 due to a $3000 lease incentive. That is exactly where we want to be right now for a lease.

I spoke to 4 or 5 other dealers in my area, and they are all telling me the best that they can do is between $280-$300 per month including tax with a total due at signing of $1500.

What do you think?

AS
  • rdsumrdsum Member Posts: 12
    I just got back from the long weekend. (Victoria Day in Canada) We flew out to Vancouver, B.C. and we rented a Taurus. It was actually the fifth Taurus to be rented over the last couple of years. I have noticed that the Taurus transmission is not the smoothest around. It seems jerky when taking off from a stop. The car almost jumps ahead even though the gas pedal is not pushed down very hard. My wife even complained about the way I was driving. I also noticed that when coming to a stop, one could feel the transmission downshifting. It almost seemed that the clunk was built in. I have noticed this on each Taurus that we rented. Most of the cars had less than 5,000 km on them. Some were even brand new. My wife has a Toyota Camry that she would never trade for the Taurus. I tried telling her that the Taurus is good value. She does not believe me. My own car is a GM van. The drive train is very good. I know that Ford has cut some corners in the last while trying to get back into the black for profits. However, I think they need a little more development work on the smoothness of their transmission. By the way, does the engine computer cut out a few cylinders when the shift is made from 1st to 2nd? (Engineers sometimes cause this in order to make a smoother shift.)

I can expect some responses that say to rent a different car. However, when one asks for a full size car, guess what you usually get from Hertz!
  • g1994stsg1994sts Member Posts: 26
    Today's Taurus just have that jerky Manual transmission feeling, hard 2nd gear shift at slow speeds in parking lots, car takes forever to slow down when you take your foot off the gas pedal, brakes wear out about every 25k miles because of constant braking; these cars seem to be on cruise control. All documented on NHTSA, there are thousands of complaints of unsatisfied customers regarding these issues. Ford says there is no fix for it, that's just the way it is and normal with these cars. ACCORD, CAMRY, ALTIMA, these types of Japanese cars are selling at the rate of about 30 thousand a month, if Ford doesn't get their act together and the rest of the Domestic car companies, my next sedan will be foreign made.
    While I do not know how the base engine/transmission drive trains shift on 2000 and up Tauri, I do know that the 24 Valve DOHC engine drive/train is actually quite smooth. Maybe not quite to the Level of Camry and Accord, but by no means is it rough.

There is no way I can believe you will need new brakes at 25K miles unless you do not know how to drive.

My old '90 Taurus, which shifted much rougher than my new one, went over 6OK miles with original brakes.
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    I have owned a 96 sable since it was purchased new. I read some of the comments on the mercury sable board and wanted to comment. It is a 96 sable ls with every otion except for moonroof, chrome wheels, and cell phone. My car currently has 80,000 miles on it. I have performed all of the routine maintanece and have only had two major problems. The first was at about 55,000 the oil pan gasket was leaking. This was about a $450 repair and the dealer offered to include me in a Ford program that would pay $400 of the repair. At about 70,000 the alternator went out. I had this fixed, but later called Ford CS because I thought it might be covered also. The rep on the phone at Ford called the dealership and within 10 minutes informed me that Ford would refund $400 of the $500 repair to me. My Sable has been a pleasure and I have loved driving it since I first bought it. The customer service and service department have been great.

Do the new sables not have 4 wheel disc brakes? Mine does. Also mine has the JBL stereo that has 6 speakers and a subwoofer. Awesome stereo. I saw with regret that the premium sound in the newer sables does not have the sub. The best part of my car is the cupholder in the console though. I love the way it hides and then pops out when you press it. I do not like the design of the newer ones with two holes in the console.

I think my sedan compares favorably with any luxury sedan out there. It is powerful enough for me and very comfortable to drive. As for depreciation, I agree it is high, but I plan to drive this car for a few more years before replacing it with an SUV. The longer I drive without a payment the lower the overall cost to me. The Mountaineer is too big for me so I am sad that mercury or lincoln do not have a small suv like the escape. The avatar will probably be out of my price range. I am a little aprehensive about buying a new vehicle because I love this one so much. A friend of mine recently had to buy a new vehicle because of a lease coming due, and he hates the new suv he got. I have a feeling that getting a small suv that I like as much as my sable and is as reliable will be tough to do.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    I also have a 96 Sable, purchased new with 25 miles on it. It now has 109K and is still going strong. I've had to replace the water pump (at just over 100K) and the crank bearing. That's all I've had to do, outside of new fluids as needed. I didn't get full leather (got the cloth/leather combo), phone, CD or roof hole. I did get the chrome wheels (man, are they easy to keep clean!) and JBL. The JBL is a very nice system! That cupholder is also a very cool feature. I plan on keeping mine until the '05 Lincoln LS is released and I can have 2 LSes in my garage (but that's a different board!). This is our 4th Sable. The first was an '86 we traded in with 50K for an '88. We traded that one in on a '91 with 125K. The '91 was replaced by the LS with 175K. For 4 years we had the 96 and 91 simultaneously. For what the Sable is, it is a very good and reliable automobile! At least in my case.
    Anyone have experience with Michelin Symmetry tires? The are suppose to be very quite and are original equipment on some luxury cars. They are also sold at Wal-mart.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    " offered to include me in a Ford program that would pay $400 of the repair"

What kind of program. Wasn't warranty expired long ago ?
  • abrudvigabrudvig Member Posts: 1
    Can you put a 3.0 engine in a 1992 Mercury Sable with a 3.8 engine in it??
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    My 2000 SES has vey smooth one, I hardly feel the shifting. I got it flushed at @25K. I did not drive the previous generations but the 4th one seems like pretty smooth to me.
  • eng6ineeng6ine Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2001 SEL with 7500 miles and it runs great! The only shifting I notice is when I am getting on it(fast acceleration), which I do alot of. I am told when you drive a vehicle fast(hard) you want good postive shifts, this is good because the clutches in the auto trans are not being worn out? Sounded good enough to me. But like I said I drive my Taurus like it is a sports car and it responds well(the salesman told me "it's a family car when the family is in it and it's a sports car when their not". When I drive the vehicle normal the shifts are very smooth.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Mercury will get a version of the Escape in a few years. It will also get a version of the Windstar, a new sedan based upon the Mazda 6, and probably a larger front wheel drive sedan based upon the Ford 500 concept.
  • eng6ineeng6ine Member Posts: 29
    I've used mostly 87 octane with no problems, no pinging, no knocking. I have, on occasion used 89 octane, on long road trips, nothing changed performance wise but I did notice I got better gas mileage, up to 29mpg at no less then 70mph. I guess the price of the better fuel vs. mpg was about even.
    I bought my Taurus new and got 0% financing for 60 months. This is the only reason I bought new, when I do it again in at least 5-6 years from now, if I cannot get 0% I will probably buy used. I bought the extended warranty from Ford, it takes me to 6years or 75,000 miles. I bought the extended warranty because of the reputation of Ford transmissions, considering the way I drive I thought it would be a good idea.
    I have had to have the rotors cut at 5500 miles, this was covered under warranty though, this is the only other negative thing I have heard and now have noticed. I may consider going to an after market rotor if this continues to be a problem, but as long as it is covered under warranty Ford will be fixing it.

Tires: I have the continental tires and I think they are just fine. As a matter of fact a friend of mine has a Maxima and had to replace his Goodyear(oem), without knowing what tire I had on my car he got the exact same tire(Continental) that I have and he loves them. He says they have made a world of difference in the ride and handling of his car. He claims better then when the car was new!

OH well, sorry to go on like that.
    Well after much deciding I did the deal on the 2002 Ford Taurus SES. It had the leather seating surfaces, power pedals, cd stereo, aluminum wheels and power drivers seat. MSRP was $21,320.

The deal was as follows...

$500 due at signing (decided to hold onto the Altima for another few months).
    $255 per month
    36 months
    12,000 Miles per year.

Thanks for all of those who responded to my posts.

AS
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major national publication is looking for a consumer who is buying or just bought a vehicle and has considered a Ford, but is worried about their recent quality lapses. If you are have a story to share, please send your phone number and some basic information about your experience no later than Wednesday, May 29 to katiebw@aol.com or jfallon@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I took my Sable to the dealer's svce. dept. today
    after having brake light and tail lights staying on all the time. To save the battery I disconnected it. Also the trouble with the transmission lever becoming hard to move out of "Park". I also told them about the engine cranking and not starting until after several tries which it was an intermitent problem.

They replaced brake lamp switch which according to the technicians was affecting the tranny lever.

They were unable to reproduce the start up problem but they hooked it up to a computer and found no trouble codes at this time.

Car was in the shop for less than a day, and repair was covered by warranty.
    I am surprised no one has chimed in with their experience on 2k and newer taurus reliability. I would like to hear also. My 2K is not high mileage yet, 15K in 1-1/2 years. Back to dealer only once for the wiper recall. I change my own oil/filter every 3,000 miles and had wheels balanced and rotated. So far that's it.

It has been completely solid, no rattles, no problems. I hope it stays rattle free like my '90 Taurus did for 10 years and 98K miles. Dash/door rattles and squeaks can really irritate.

Anyone out there with 30K-40K or 60K+ miles yet?
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    Silly question? Is there a way to have all the doors unlock once you put the car in park and open your driver's door? My jeep has this feature and it is very handy when trying to get things out of the back seat. I always forget to hit the unlock button. If anybody has any insight on this I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    I also wish that feature was available. I believe that Ford's don't allow that. At least my dealer says it can't be done. They can lock but not unlock.
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    upsetter: I have heard of this program some, the manufacturers do not like to advertise it but I will try to explain it here. I think there is some info in the warranty boards in TH. I have had all my routine maintanence done at the dealer that I bought the car from. This shows loyalty to the manufacturer and the dealer. Manufacturers have these extra warranty programs to help dealers keep loyal customers. Not sure what they are called, but they have a name, like "Loyalty warranty". Anyway the way the dealer explained it to me was that since I was a good customer of the dealer that this Ford program would have ford pay$200 of the repair, the dealer would pay $200 of the repair and I would have to pay the rest. The best part was that the service manager offered the program to me. I did not have to ask. He could see I was upset about such an expensive repair. The alternator repair I paid in full upfront, dealer did not offer the program that time. I called Ford about one week later and got a check from the dealer that I am sure Ford paid to the dealer.

ehasse: Thanks for the info. I have heard that mercury will get a version of the new ford crosstrainer, but had not heard about an escape version. Not sure if it will help me , because hopefully I will be getting a suv in about 12 to 18 months. crosstrainer not out til 04 or 05 was what I heard. I thought with all of the model cuts ford was making at mercury that it might follow the path of plymouth and oldsmobile.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • cgn49cgn49 Member Posts: 4
    have a 98 Taurus SE; replaced a/c compressor at 45k, transmission at 60k. Interior is chintzy with age. Dealer sucked, Ford will never see a dollar of mine again. terrible experience.My own fault for thinking that American cars actually might be well built. These guys can't hold a hubcap to Toyota for example. Why didn't I buy a Camry? DUH!
    Can you tell me how your transmission went bad? Did you have the fluids changed at 30k miles?

Not that you're interested, but I've been told the newer trannies on the Taurus since 2k are much improved.
This discussion has been closed.