Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    Current Taurus was redesigned in 1996 and in 2000 they made some changes in exterior, interior and safety equipment. I just read that Ford is starting new ad campain in TV and press to push Taurus. But it doesn't make it more competitive. They also said that Taurus will be kind of rental car and car for those who look for inexpensive midclass sedan. Real import fighters will be Ford 500, Freestyle and probably new Sable or whatever Mercury can provide. And Mazda 6 of course, LOL. As they said Taurus will be kind of smaller Crown Vic, probably means platform will never be changed again. Does Taurus deserve to be treated like that?
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Yes, I know. I have had an '86, '88, '91 and my favorite, a '96. The reason I didn't get a 2000 was I got a Lincoln LS. The LS is light years ahead of the Sable!!
    Congratulations. LS is a very nice car, I would like to buy one, but it is too expensive for me. Mercury brand has been cheapened too much, they have to make it upscale again, so folks like me who wants something more upscale and refined than Ford can buy it. It should be a little smaller, more sportier, modern engine and transmission please, and better interior workmanship. I would pay a couple grands more for that. Who don't want to pay exstra can buy Ford, right? Price difference about $500 between Ford and similar Sable is ridiculous IMHO. Something was very wrong in Fords management when they made decisions.

So rumors were new Sable will be based on Mazda 6. Previously they said it would be Mondeo what is a better platform, but Mazda 6 is also okay for me, it probably is less expensive platform than Mondeo, but a little bigger and in American style. I don't want Sable to be another Passat clone like Mondeo or Altima.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    LS is really not in the same price or class range as Taurus/Sable--and is definitely more than most people can afford especially in a new car. LS was meant to make inroads into the entry/midlevel luxury sports sedan-not the mainstream family sedan market.

I still maintain, that for a mainstream midsize car with at least decent performance when equipped with the Duratec, current Taurus is hard to beat. Name another brand, domestic or import. where you can get a 200 HP DOHC V-6 family size car pretty well equipped new for under $20K out the door? Not from Toyota, not from Nissan, not from GM, maybe from DC and of course yes from the Koreans.

I will agree that Ford could stand to go upscale with the Mercury brand perhaps using European Ford designs to delineate it from Ford brand in the US, but you gotta remember the bulk of the consumers still aren't going to be able to pay $30K for a car.

Upsetter1, what is wrong with the current Taurus/Sable interior that needs revising? Gimmicky white gauges with orange/red contrasting lights? Or fake brushed aluminum/platinum trim, fake wood accents etc? Isn't the plastic plush enough for you? You want "gathered" fabric inserts on the doors-the rolling bordello look? Gotta have NAV system because you can't read a map or road signs? I prefer a no nonsense but functional interior, and Taurus Sable has that with no squeaks or rattles in mine even on the roughest roads.
    Nothing wrong actually. They are using high quality materials (for that segment) and interior is desined pretty nice and I like it more than new Camry. In Taurus though pod is has too much black plastic what makes it look too downscale. Also if you pay close attention to details you will see there are lot of seams, gaps etc visible, it is not done with the same workmanship as a Camry or Accord (but better than GM< Chrysler or Nissan anyway). But compared to older 1994 Taurus that I still own it is a much more refined car, light years ahead. But they still have a room for improvement, Mercury, at least, must come to be known as the best in class - trendsetter, as Taurus used to be in the past.
  • ggomezggomez Member Posts: 2
    We own a 2000 Sable ls premium, with 200hp duratec engine. Our engine light has been going on and off for a week now.
    The car has 20k miles it is driven to the train station daily, about 4 miles each way.
    It has never been driven hard, yet when we took our car to the dealer Thursday they told us there were some serious problems with our car. They offered a free loaner but were not too clear in explaining what was wrong with the car. All they say that it is a good thing that the warranty still applies, and if we had to pay for the repairs that it would cost in excess of $3000.
    The car has always run well except when the engine light was on,then the car ran rough as if the engine needed a major tune-up and in one occasion it actually shut off.
    Has anyone experienced similar problems.I almost get the feeling that I must rid myself of this vehicle once it is returned to us.
    thanks for any information.
    Your driving is the worst type of driving you can do to an engine. The engine doesn't get a chance to warm up and burn off moisture. The oil will get gooey with the added moisture. The plugs will foul. Gas will gel. Do yourself (and the motor) a favor. Take it out on the freeway (or go for a "Sunday drive") for at least an hour (at 65mph+) or so at least once a month and let the motor do what it was created to do. It isn't the cars fault, it is the environment it is trying to live in.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I just saw the new 2003 Taurus commercial on TV. It looked pretty good with the leather and real wood trim on the steering wheel.
    I priced it out on the Ford website at about $27,000 fully loaded (except rear spoiler).
    Then I went to CarsDirect.com and after the $2000 rebate, and regional discounts that gave credit toward free moonroof and free leather, it priced out at just under $21K plus tax. That's Hyundai Sonata cheap!
    If I were to buy one, I would go for the best PremiumCare Ford factory 6 year/100,000 extended warranty with $0 deductible. That would add somewhere around another $2000 to the price. $23,000 still looks decent for a fully loaded car with leather, moonroof, Mach stereo, power everything and no repair cost worries for 6 years etc..
    Too bad that it will only be worth $10,000 after 3 years.
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    The gas will gel? I've stored gasoline for my lawnmower for 4.5 months. Trust me it doesn't gel. I'm sure this individual is refueling at least once a month. For one thing the post talks about (1806) 3k worth of repair and can't describe what has taken place. If something that major happened to my car you better believe I'd know what was wrong!
    Gave my 2000 SES a good highway workout this weekend-572 miles almost all interstate at about 71 MPH there with a strong headwind and on return on good semi-freeway conditions-mostly 4 lane with some 2 lane (different route home) at about 65 MPH average and with about 30 degree F outside temperatures both ways. Got 27.2 miles per gallon. I could easily see how we could get 28-29 highway under better conditions. Passed 20K miles this weekend still running perfect.
  • sculldog33sculldog33 Member Posts: 19
    Doesn't sound very good, I also have a 2000 LS premium, with 15K miles and a roundtrip commute of 5 miles. I was also worried about the effects of short, "severe duty" type driving. Can't do much about the commute, and I don't want to find a longer way to work, so I recently had the remote starter installed. Fire the car up about 10-15 minutes prior to leaving and it's nice and warm at least, hopefully helps get some of the moisture out of the exhaust, and maybe even warms the oil and engine up a bit more.

Haven't had problems in mine so far. Can anyone else comment on the potential problems facing low mileage drivers? Also, how does this affect service intervals? My gut reaction was to replace the fuel filter, PCV/breather gasket, possibly even flush and fill transmission and coolant at the 15K service, but the dealer said this is all driven by mileage, not time. they assured me I don't need to do these, but I'm doubtful. It will be four + years before I hit 30K, so I suspect I'll do the transmission flush before that -- anyone have insight into this? Am I wasting my money? I do oil changes about 4-5 times a year, going on time and or season versus mileage.

Goal is to keep this thing about 11-12 years and live without a payment for a while, just hoping the low miles don't actually hurt me somehow!! Do have a 6 year warranty but that only takes me halfway!
  • david_c1981david_c1981 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, anybody know what type of suspension the 1991 Sable GS has? New ones have 4 wheel independent, but I can't find anything on the older ones, and I don't have the manual because I baught it from an auction.

I baught the car for $1150 CND, I got a lemon? You betcha. It's been in a front end collision, but I don't see any frame damage/repairs from it, must have just been a crumple. Anyways, anyone know about this car? Should I be expecting my AXOD to die? Or my head gasket to blow? How do I tell if they've been repaired? Anything else I should be concerned about? IE: Fuel Filter. (113500KM)

Ok, thanks for any feed back.
    So far, I think the Sable RULES!
  • ggomezggomez Member Posts: 2
    I guess I also needed to write that my Sable is also driven during the weekend and we drive more than the 8 miles we drive daily Monday-Friday. We change the oil every 3000 miles. We basically want the car to last a long time.The car was driven to Myrtle Beach this year about 450 miles one way and also driven to Canada last over 500 miles one way.
    All I was trying to illustrate in the earlier e-mail is that the car is well maintained and not driven hard. Yet we had this problem which I will have explained to me once the car is fixed.
    Believe I need to know what happened to our car.
    All Tauri and Sables have always had four wheel independent suspensions (struts at all four corners) since their introduction in 1986.

I believe their were some less than reliable transmissions introduced in 1991 when they went to electronic controls. My neighbor had one go at slightly over 100,000 miles-traded it rather than repaired. My 1990 was fine. I sold it to a private party at 10 years and 98,000 miles. Had transmission fluid and filter changed once at 70,000 and fluid was not burnt and transmission had no problems.

A fair amount of the 3.8 liter V-6's had head gasket failures, but if your Sable has the Vulcan 3.0 V-6, I believe it is a pretty reliable engine.

Since you likely do not know the service history, a transmission fluid change, plugs, new fuel filter and cooling system flush and fill are probably a good idea, along with inspection of hoses, belts, CV joint boots and suspension. Tie rod ends were a typical weak point but not too expensive.
    I read that oil gradually gets deluted by gasoline when engine doesn't get warm up. But if you take occasinally longer trips it may be okay. There may be other effects, like battery is getting discharged and once in a while you better fully recharge it. I don't think there may be other harm. It certainly doesn't affect transmission, usually overheating at high speeds or long city driving at low speeds can affect transmission. But of course city driven miles are not the same as freeway miles. I think you only need to change oil more often and keep watch on battery. About sludge build up inside engine. Well I know Toyota has problem with it, I didn't hear anything like that about Ford engines.
  • david_c1981david_c1981 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, thanks a lot, I couldn't find anything about independent suspension, they didn't start bragging about it till lately. They say it gives a nice smooth ride, but if people knew it was implemented in 1986 then it wouldn't sound so cool would it? haha.

I have the 3.8L ;o( So worry I must.
    Alright, I'll change my plugs for sure, and flush fluids. Have you seen the Bosch plugs with 4 prongs? I'm thinking about those, but I have no idea what the best is. Anyone have ideas?
    I don't have any experience with gimmicky plugs. When I replaced them on my '90, I just used the same as the originals-just make sure you use platinum plugs-one new set will likely last you the remaining life of your car. I changed mine at about 40,000 and 80,000 miles, but both times I wondered why, as the plugs looked new-no increase in gap, rounded tip or anything else indicating they needed replacement. I think you could go 80,000-100,000 miles easily with one set.
  • teen80babyteen80baby Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1991 ford taurus L. and it as broken down so many times. The transmission has broken down about 4 times.
  • teen80babyteen80baby Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1991 ford taurus and it runs good,we have been able to go to the top speed in it
    Ours had the 3.8L motor. Our "major" repairs were a water pump, radiator, alternator (VERY early on), A/C clutch and the trans recall. We had no head gasket problems when we traded it in in 2000 with 175K miles (got $1500 from a Lincoln dealer!). It was still running very well, I was just fearful that it wouldn't pass our increassingly stringent smog tests. It sure was great transportation. Our longest trip in it was from LA to Edmonton, Alberta. That was one easy trip!
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Taurus/Sable owners.

Happy motoring and keep enjoying your cars!
  • polka1polka1 Member Posts: 1
    Any problems with the 2001 24 valve 6 cyl. duratech engine....any idea what miles/gal. to expect form this engine-highwy & city??
  • eng6ineeng6ine Member Posts: 29
    The Duratec engine has been around in the Taurus since 96. It is and has been for me very reliable. It is used in several different vehicles from Ford, Mazda, to Jaguar.

MPG: that depends on what your driving habits are. I kinda have a heavy foot so I get below what the sticker says you should get. I get about 15mpg in the city but I can get as much as 28mpg on the highway.

Mike
    My Duratec is new and milage is up to specs, the same as Vulcan on my older Taurus. In everyday commuting (mostly on freeway) I get in average ~26 mpg. Vulcan has no advantage on gas milage, but will punish you considerably, pinging all the way up the hill or keeping you in slow lane on freeway. Duratec accelerates better on higher speeds (higher rpms), so it is pleasure to drive it on freeway. It has lower torque at low rmps but still accelerates faster from stop than Vulcan and many other cars.

The other day I beat rice driver on the menacing low riding Civic at traffic lite. He tried hard with a lot of noice and expression on his face but couldn't make, I was relaxed as usual and even didn't try to kick it down. If I kicked it down his little car would suck into vacuum behind my car I guess and it wasn't yet SHO. Wow!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    why don't you pick on someone your own size like the non menacing accord v6.
    I don't pick no one.I was driving family car and didn't racing on the street or freeway. I just didn't like that clown trying to cut me to prove something. It was my turn to go so I got mad. It is more about guts to take risk than about engine size, so it will depend who will drive Accord and how mad I will be. Accord V6 isn't a sport car btw, it isn't SHO or something, just another boring family sedan.
    i didn't mean to upset you. it was intended to be a light hearted comment. and how can you go for the SHO with its you know what burning engine? by the way, the splendid accord is not a boring family sedan. for your reading...

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/24/automobiles/24AUTO.html?ex=1039258560&ei=1&en=7becbbb6183dee4d

What a bunch of pap. A group of people with all kinds of preexisting biases review a group of cars. No statistical performance comparisons listed, no nothing except a bunch of opinions. I especially point out, under the Impala review, of one "reviewer" comment that is was better than they expected but they would never be caught dead driving one. Wow, and we are supposed to believe rankings based on these kind of comments?

Give me Edmunds or even CR reviews any time over this crap.
    you're right, there's not much substance to the article. but do you feel the rankings will be that much different from edmunds and consumer reports with their upcoming tests? the camry will probably be rated higher with consumer reports.
    CR has already reviewed current gen Camry, and if my memory is right, ranked it 2nd behind VW Passat, however Passat, I believe has suffered in CR's reliability survey-they published an 2003 model year buying guide latel-so whether they still have it on their recommended list is questionable. Camry likewise has dropped to average reliability (now same as Taurus) and both are on CR's recommended list, though Taurus will be likely ranked probably about fourth or fifth. Current new gen Accord has not been reviewed yet, but I imagine it will come in second or third in any CR future reviews.

Taurus held up well in Edmund's rankings, done on 2000 model sedans (please refer to that area in Edmunds and check it out). Edmunds did not view Camry at that time. Taurus finished third in Edmund's point ranking system basis just slightly behind Passat and nearly tied for second with last gen Accord. Edmunds point ranking you will note, includes price/value as a ranking factor, while CR does not.

I am sure with any new reviews by CR, Taurus will end up behind three or four others, but that does not mean it is a bad choice, especially if you include cost as a factor.

As with all published reviews and rankings, they all have to be taken with a grain of salt and the individual will have to decide.

What really bothers me is when people dismiss a vehicle by blindly following one review, be it CR, Edmunds or heaven forbid, the NY Times. Or people who dismiss a car because it has a "rental car stigma". So what if Taurus is used in many fleet and rental car applications? The more Tauri sold, the lower the margin they can afford to sell them at and it benefits the individual buyer as well as the fleet buyer. Yes, this strategy also causes more depreciation, but anyone buying a car as an investment strategy is insane anyway. Buy new and keep it many years, or buy slightly used and keep it many years and do even better on a cost basis. This is the only way to minimize depreciation costs on any vehicle.
    i agree with everything you said almost.

i believe the taurus (above average) is actually rated better than the camry (average) in terms of reliability. what i liked about the NY Times piece was where it placed the camry. CR is the only magazine that rates the camry as high as it does.
    BTW the next Taurus will be based on the Mazda 6 platform. Mondeo platform seems to be too expensive for Taurus. The bad news is that it will take a lot of time and Mazda 6 platform will get aged. It is the problem of American manufacturers - Germans and Japanese always are ahead in using newer or better(means more expensive) platforms. Why not to use excelent Mondeo platform? Well because they think that we are not so demanding as Europeans.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Perceptions. bah!

Toyota now has 0% ads called "saved by 0". They were always bragging how they "don't need incentives". Now what is the excuse? They act like they "invented" 0%.

I like the one post about the guy's co-worker bragging about his new $30K Camry, with extended warranty. (If it's so bullet proof, why warranty?) "So am I supposed to kiss yer behind", I'd say.

Also, go to any rental lot and count the Camries, then tell the "know it alls" how many there are when they say "You got a rental car?"
    << like the one post about the guy's co-worker bragging about his new $30K Camry, with extended warranty.>>

He has '97 Camry with 60,000 miles and had multiple problems with it, like - failed and changed under basic warranty power steering, warping rotors, $800 AMF sensor related failure repair under extended warranty and some others. Recently he noticed blue smoke coming out of exhaust and get done engine repair that was covered under Toyota sludge problem warranty and otherwise would cost him several grands. So he believes that extended warranty worth it, he saved thousands having extended warranty on previoud Camry. BTW he didn't have any problems with his old '92 Ford Tempo (with no warranty at all because bought used), currently at 200,000 miles and still running strong. But he bought a new luxury Camry XLE because he likes the quality and smoothness of powertrain.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    re: fuel filling your taurus

I have a 99 taurus with the same deal...the manual says it has like a 16 gallon tank or something but I the most I have ever filled it is about 13.75 gallons.....usually by the time I have rode on E for about 40 miles I still can only fill it 13.5 gallons......makes for crappy long distance touring range between fills.
  • babaausbabaaus Member Posts: 10
    Simply not the most accurate fuel gauges on Tauri (someone else's grammar, i'm borrowing it) and Sables. Put a measured amount gasoline in an (approved) storage can, stick it in your trunk and drive 'til you run out of gas. Pour the "measured amount" into your tank and drive to a filling station. VOILA! ;-)
    VERRRY COMFY!!! Handles nice. Super sound system. Warm seats. Luxurious "climate control". More than adequate acceleration from the Duratec engine.Handles quite nicely on snow-covered pavement, too. I'm disappointed with the mpg, so far. For the first 4K miles I've been averaging 21 mpg for mostly-highway driving (average 73 mph). Also having a little difficulty with visibility all around the car but I'm guessing that I'll adjust. I drive a minimum of 130 miles each day and am delighted with how comfortable the car is. YEOW! Being 6'3" with a long inseam, I just couldn't get comfortable in the vast majority of other sedans and wagons. And I couldn't justify the horrible mpg of a full-sized pickup.

Had sworn NEVER to buy a new car but having not found what I wanted in a used Sable, I investigated buying a model-end car and wound up with an LS wagon with all the extras. Intend on driving it for five - six years, anyway, averaging 30K miles per year.

Will look forward to reading others' maintenance ideas and experiences.
    Thanks ezaircon! You SURE it's not "better" to change the oil every 3K miles? Or am I just an old dog who needs to learn new tricks?
    I too, am old school. I remember when Mobil1 first came out saying you could go 2 years/24K miles on an oil change. I didn't feel real comfortable with that! I read that BMW and Mercedes go ~15K miles between changes! One important thing to remember is that synthetic oil doesn't break down like conventional oil. On my LS I change the oil every 10K miles and the filter every 5K. I drive mostly freeway for ~20 minutes each way to work, so the oil gets hot enough to burn off any moisture. I use 5K on the Sable as the wife-unit just puts around town and the oil doesn't get hot enough, long enough to burn off ant moisture. I still feel a little queasy going that long on an oil change, but who am I to argue with the experts? Mobil is actually reducing their profits by endorsing longer change intervals. I read about a guy who claims to have 250K miles on the same oil (Amsoil synthetic) in his Kenworth. He did say that he has the oil analyzed when he changes the filters. There is a topic in Edmunds that deals with this, but it is quite subjective. We have a guy in our car club who works for John Force. He plans on going 5K between changes, and he's quite conservitive on changes. That's good enough for me to go 10K.
    I am going to change oil every 5K while it is new. It is recomemneded 5W20 syntetic blend. I think it is not actually real synthetic, cause real one goes much longer. In Europe btw synthetic goes about 25,000 km, semisyntethic about 15,000 km and mineral (for old cars) about 7,000 km between changes. 1 mile is 1.6 km. European engines also are running at higher rmps on premium gas.
  • ijennings1ijennings1 Member Posts: 67

#1 of 2 Taurus fuel filling problems by ijennings1 Dec 05, 2002 (1:06 pm)
    I have a 2000 SES with an 18 gallon tank according to the book. Even with the guage on empty, I can't get more than 12 gallons in her even when filling really slow. The gauge then shows full. I understand Ford have a reserve tank when the guage reaches empty, but even so, there does seem something wrong here. I'm getting around 300 miles per tank before the gauge reaches empty. Can anyone help? thanks

Ian
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I wish Ford would fix their faulty gas gauges. My 2000 SEL has the same problem. The manual is probably wrong for our year model. I knew that it had 16 but the manual says 18. They came with 18 gal. tanks in 2001.

One post suggested driving until you run out and then putting a measured amount in to check the true amount, but that's not wise because the gas is under pressure and the fuel pump is running and heating up because it has no gas to keep it cool. (The manual also frowns on this practice.)

This same annoying feature was on my 1984 Mustang. It drove me nuts! After driving that car for 16 years I thought that I'd finally get a functional gauge - WRONG! What's the reason behind this?
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    Many posts have bantered back and forth about what car has sold the most in a given year. I'd like to summit a new take on this topic that I haven't seen posted.

The annual "best seller" often is a best seller by product name only. For example, the Honda Accord was the best-selling mid-size car in 2001, with sales of 414,718 cars, according to Automotive News Data. The Toyota Camry came in second, with sales of 390,449, and the Ford Taurus came in third, with sales of 353,560. The Sable finished out of the running, with sales of 102,646.

But those numbers are misleading because they are based on nameplates, not vehicle platforms. There is only ONE Accord brand and ONE Camry brand. But Ford sells the same cars (Taurus and Sable) under TWO different names. Combined Taurus and Sable sales last year totaled 456,206, EASILY surpassing the "leader", the Accord.

The point is that most of the public aren't idiots and they recognize a good value when they see one. Both of these models have been selling very well since their introduction in 1986. The reason for their continued success is "perceived value". Enough said.
    I agree to be fair Taurus and Sable should be grouped together, and this shows the twins to outsell the others. Additionally, I also believe that Honda lumps the Accord sedan and coupe together as does Toyota with the Solara coupe. One could argue that the 2-door coupe market is decidely different than 4 door sedans, certainly more different than Taurus/Sable are from each other.

Of course the Honda and Toyota zealots will also point out that a lot of Taurus/Sable sales are fleet/rentals, but so what? Just because Ford has elected to attack that market doesn't mean the cars are somehow "tainted"

On the fuel gage problem a few of you are having, why not get it checked by the dealer, especially if you are still under warranty? I do not have that problem on my 2000 SES.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Lots of Camrys and Corollas are in rental fleets, mainlky since cusotmers are wanting them.

Soon, they can't use the "Mines not a rental" claim any longer.
    Actually Corrolla was considered in many countries as an ultimate rental car. Because it is reliable, cheap, boring has grey plasticy interior, basic engine, cheap cloth and etc. etc.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    I did a comparison of the 18 non-luxury mid-size sedans including available features, gas mileage, horsepower, leg room, head room, and so on. I averaged it all up and the Taurus won with the Sable four points behind in second place. My favorite to win, the Nissan Altima, got third. For some silly reason, the outdated Buick Century got fourth place. The PASSAT came in LAST or 18th PLACE! It had the least front leg room, second least rear leg room, and highest price well equipped. I love the sporty looks. They are so improved over the previous generation '96 to '99 Tauruses.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    ALL 3 of my Fords, two of them Taurus, have had the same thing with the gas tank.....it says more than you can ever fill it. Is Ford afraid of having too many roadside assistance calls?
  • modurmodur Member Posts: 2
    My friend has a '95 Sable sedan. He wants to know if you fold down the rear seat. He wants

to use the car to move a dining set.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Is your friend's name modur?
This discussion has been closed.