Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• indytabindytab Member Posts: 32
    I bought a 2000 Taurus SE about a month ago. Love the car, but looked at the rear door molding as described by barjon. One door, the rubber molding just ever so slightly laps up on the triangular "fin" of the door post. On the other side (the other door), there is a definite gap, perhaps an eighth of an inch, hard to notice at first, but definitely enough to let water in: thanks, barjon for bringing it to our attention. I'll check with the dealer to see if they will remedy that.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    It's good that the dealer helped remedy the door seal instead of saying, "They're all like that, get outta here".
  • gtaurusgtaurus Member Posts: 2
    i have a new 2000 taurus sel and i was wondering if anyone else is hearing a highpitched pinging noise coming from under the hood once the car is shut off. initially, i thought it was the automatic climate control fan still spinning, but a friend of mine thought it could be the exhaust system cooling down and that the system could be stressing and possibly stressing in the wrong places. i would be interested to hear form anyone else hearing these noises
  • jollyroger1jollyroger1 Member Posts: 1
    Just took a test drive in a 2000 Sable LS Premium and must say, I really liked the many features (fully loaded, plus leather & 6 disc changer, minus the sunroof). My wife really loves the power adjustable pedals as she's 5.2".

My lease is ending on my 98 Chevy Lumina LTZ, and while it's been a descent car, I would like to try Ford product. Have you 2000 Sable and Tarus owners been fairly happy with your vehicles? Please let me know your experiences. Thanks in advance!
  • indytabindytab Member Posts: 32
    I haven't heard a high-pitched pinging in my 2000 Taurus SE. I don't have automatic climate control in my model, either.
  • anotherfordanotherford Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Taurus SE and have thoroughly enjoyed it. But. . . I have noticed that when I brake (mostly when braking a little harder than usual) I can hear a pinging noise until I come to a complete stop. Has anyone had this happen to their car or are my brakes just going out? Does it have anything to do with anti-lock brakes? Please help.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    The engine noise you hear is the intake manifold contracting as it cools. It is new for 2000 and is made of a composite material which is lighter than the metal one it replaced, but has this property of "tinging" as it contracts and cools.
  • toyvan2toyvan2 Member Posts: 1
    Ford Taurus 93 Wagon and nearby years and Sables should be avoided on the used marketplace.

I had only 55,000 miles with many annoying problems and quality issues and recalls. Plus many friends with more miles said there were many $$$ of repairs.

If you want a quality car good for almost zero repairs to 100,000 miles then BUY TOYOTA.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    no one should expect a car to go 100000 miles without repairs.

That's unrealistic considering the CRAP cars put up with

things like

neglect and being beaten on and not cared for

50,000 maybe---100,000 keep dreaming.

I just traded a 95 thunderbird that had 73k miles on it, all i did to it was a battery and a new blower fan for the a/c, but by 70k miles it needed a lot of attention. And I think that is better than average for most cars.

However, Toyotas may be the only cars than can do 100,000 without fuss.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Taurus is the number one selling vehicle again. About time a domestic kicked some import butt. Now if we can get GM to be up there also ( they were at the 9th position with the Malibu and 10th with the Impala) we will be all set and back on track. even though I am nopt a ford fan CONGRATS Ford!
  • matramatra Member Posts: 5
    I've got 2000km. on my SEL and just love it. I think the Taurus is finally a winner...
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Have you heard anything more about a SHO replacement? Also, have you driven the 2000 Taurus? How does the engine compare with the 235hp SHO 32 valve? I have a hunch the the 2000 Taurus would feel like I was driving some 4 cylinder again. Going to miss my SHO come next Spring, but I don't want to keep it long term. It was a 10 year love affair, a new SHO every two years from 1989-1999. Now Ford shoots themselves on the foot and no longer produces the sports sedan.
    when i was shopping recently i waited until the 2000 taurus came out before i bought either the 99 sho or the new 2000 v6.

I had previously owned an 89 Taurus SHO which still remains the most fun car I ever owned (thrill ride). My brother in law owned a 92 SHO (auto) and a couple years ago bought a 97 which I became quite familiar with and grew to like. i decided I really wanted the Yamaha motor again and coming off owning a v8 thunderbird and v8 buick I really wanted to stay with a v8 because my wife and i take many long trips and wanted a car with a strong durable motor (certainly not a 4 cyl. like in some Camrys Passats and Accords).

But I left open the chance of getting a 2000 Taurus only because of the new body style and interior updates so I delayed may purchase until the y2k's came out.

I narrowed out cars I really didn't want and was left basically with the Ford products. I decided to test drive these cars (because I wouldn't be caught slumming in an Impala or a Grand Prix and couldn't afford a Maxima)...

-99 SHO with as few miles as I could find
    -New 99 Holdover Taurus or Sable with Duratec v6
    -99 Contour SVT
    -New 2000 Taurus

My budget was 20 grand +/-, and required leather, moonroof, abs and alum wheels min.

My first decision was that the Contour SVT was absolutely the best and most fun affordable car I had driven around this price range. Handling and power and sound of the motor were fabulous. If I was single I would've bought one. This car is a car for those who really loved the old orignal SHO's. They are 7/8 scale versions of those cars except faster, more refined, handle better. Alas they are smaller and the wife doesn't want a stick for the main traveling car. So we ruled it out even though its an incredible car.

Then I took out a 99 SHO and of course liked it a lot. V8 power, fabulous sound, large and comfortable car. Note: I really liked the style of the interior and exterior even though some folks thought it too ovoid. In the right colors.....this car can generate many compliments (and does). Of course, I wanted this car. Couldn't afford a new one though.

So I looked for good deals on the new 99's loaded up and with big rebates and good financing. I decided that the handling was nearly equal to the SHO and the v6 Duratec was a powertrain of very similar character. Very lively, nice sound. Yet I held off for the y2k taurus.

Then they arrived and I drove the y2k. I did like the exterior redo but now there was no "performance version" available. I thought the interior was a step too far in the conservative direction, although it is functional and tastefully done for an inexpensive car. I just thought the shapes and controls were not that exciting. I really prefered the oval, non cluttered monchromatic look of the 99 (in tan or light gray). The 99 feels airier and more spacious inside. Also the handling was softened and the sound of the motor was tuned down. Didn't like the 2000 near as much. So although my dad may prefer the 2000 more, I thought it was less of what I wanted than the 99.

So I snapped up a 99 SHO in green with tan leather and 6000 miles on it for right around 20 grand.

Figured I better get one while I still could. Of course now there is no more SHO.

I have not seen anything new in the press within the last month on a new SHO upcoming, but I did see one or two items previously.

I think Ford will bring back the SHO in 2001 or 2002, just a hunch. I think it will be an SVT vehicle, similar to the SVT Contour. The mods will be done here in the US and will most likely be a hopped up v6. It's too bad they have given up on the v8 with so much invested in it. It is truly a 5 star motor. Ford should have tweaked this v8 with variable valve timing and a manual transmission to get public interest going again.

And get people away from those fat SUV's. I see gas is over 2 bucks a gallon in some spots......

anyways, if I was a marketer for Ford here is what I would tell them to get ready for 2001....

A new updated Taurus SHO with the 2000 body plus ground effects, deeper fascia etc. This car would have the v8 motor of the 96-99 SHO except it would add variable valve timing and would be up around 275 hp. Manual 6 speed tranny and traction control would be standard. Auto tranny a no cost option. This car would also have a completely different dash, doors, and seats than the 2000. It could have seats like the SVT contour and a more driver oriented dash and shifter column. Keep this car under 30 grand and make a wagon version available. A Limited collector's version (cobra) would add a supercharger to get around 350 hp, stability control, 19 inch wheels, and all wheel drive for around 35k (Ford could use this car to develop an AWD drivetrain for other applications on the Taurus platform.

But Robnis we can hope. My bets are we'll see a new v6 SHO late 2001 or early 2002. May have to wait a bit. Pray for at least 250 hp.
    the 2000 v6 doesn't feel as lively as the v8 its quite different.
    Great post. Thanks. The SHO you got is exactly like mine- green with a tan interior. Your description of the ideal next generation SHO is really on target. However, I suspect that Ford marketing people have their heads in a place where the sun doesn't shine and will thus probably not make that available, even though it would sell 20,000 plus units a year for Ford.

Next Spring when my lease is over I will hate to part with it but really want a vehicle that will have traction control, heated seats, etc.

As I have reached the place in life where I want to reward myself, I am considering an I30 although it is a 1/2 second slower than the SHO time of 0-60, it has all the other amenities. I would consider the Aurora if it were not for the fact they lowered their warranty, beside it is a GM (if you know what I mean).

I can dream that Ford will bring out our car in the Spring again.
    "it is a GM (if
    you know what I mean)."

Oh yeah, I know what you mean.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    On my way home tonight I just saw a brand new Taurus that looked like it had just been driven off the dealer's lot, with the machined aluminum wheels, and on the back of the car the nameplate said "TAURUS S E L " (not just S E).

Time to head to the dealer for an "L".
  • slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    robnis: If you really want to reward yourself get a LS V8. It's the spiritual successor to the SHO, take one test drive and you'll know what I mean. The I-30 is a nice car (solid and well built) but it's boring and the price is too high for a luxo version of a Maxima.
    Appreciate your thoughts. In fact I did test drive the LS V8 and it had a lot going for it; however I need to stick with front wheel drive. Still all in all, the Lincoln is a very nice car. It would certainly be on my list if I didn't want my next one to be FWD.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672
    Hi everyone,
    My grandfather has a 1994 Taurus GL with only 26,000 miles on it. He was thinking about trading it in on a 2000 Taurus. We looked at some, but he just didn't get excited about them (although he's really conservative, and the last car he had that he REALLY liked the looks of was his '81 Granada).

Anyway, we talked him out of trading, convincing him that he didn't need a new car. It's just that he has been trading up every 3-4 years since 1950, and I guess it's hard to break old habits.

I'm a Chrysler man myself, so I don't know too much about Ford products. Are there any particular trouble spots from the '92-95 generation of Taurus? I know someone with a '93 wagon, who's tranny is about to go, but she's got about 100K miles on it now. At the rate my grandfather drives, he'll have 100K miles on his by the time it qualifies for historic plates.

I told him just to change the fluids fairly regularly, and check the tires, hoses, belts, etc for dry rot, and he should be fine.

Any other advice? Thanks! -Andre
    robnis: What is the specific reason you want a FWD car? I had 16 Taurus's (Company cars) and bought 4 of them for my wife, she still has a 97 wagon. Before I bought my LS I test drove a lot of cars, Taurus, Sable, Intrigue, Maxima, ES-300, 300M, 3.2TL, S80, I-30, Aurora and several more. In the end I thought that the 3.2TL was the best of the FWD cars, very solid and refined and felt less like a FWD car than the others. The BMW 328i, 528i & LS felt different, to me more balanced anj just plain felt more satisfying to drive. Maybe 15 years of FWD Taurus driving has jaded me but I now no longer consider FWD that typically has 65% of its weight on the front wheels to be an advantage.
    #144,
    Rotors can warp for a number of reasons. One of the most common nowadays is because they're too thin and lightweight and just damage easier. If you put on the lug nuts too tight, you'll warp the rotors. If you drive too "spiritedly" you can warp the rotors, too. This isn't just a Ford problem, though, it's a modern-car problem. I hear this problem come up on the Chrysler LH cars, too. On bigger, older cars, the rotors were bigger and heavier, and warping just wasn't as common.
    -Andre
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I think Ford has now made "SEL" and "SES" lettering for each of those models. I saw an SES with the 3 letters on the back. It helps when shopping for a used model and it differentiates the cars.
  • johnbonojohnbono Member Posts: 80
    I drove my mom down to Queens for a graduation recently in her new Taurus SEL. The duratec engine is a very nice motor, and revs real easy, but it feels like it is the wrong engine for the car. Driving on the highway at 55-65 mph, getting the speed for passing invariably meant flooring the engine so you could build the revs necessary for passing power. Ford needs to either put in a 5 speed auto in the car, or bring 3rd and 4th closer together. At highway speeds, the car feels positively anemic until you get to about 3500 RPM, then it seems to take advantage of the high revs. While the old 3.8 was one of the most abysmal motors I've had the misfortune to drive, it did have a much better low end than the current duratec v6(though the duratec flat out smokes it at higher RPM). The engine feels very overburdened at lower RPM, and it just seemed like the engine would be better off in something smaller, like a contour.
    I want FWD because of the snow. And I prefer to stay away from the gas hos SUV's. I live in PA and we usually have 3-4 snows each winter. I have to laugh at the BMW,s Mercedes, etc with RWD trying to get up a hill in the snow. They are fish tailing all over.
  • ryankcryankc Member Posts: 2
    I have to say, I am quite a Toyota man. However, because of the incentives, I was forced to test drive a 2000 Taurus. Wow! What a surprise. Incredible handling and a great engine, everything I thought Ford couldn't do. I was wrong. I compared it to the Accord and Camry, test driving all three within a few hours, trying to get the feel of them. There was absolutely no comparison. I can't believe I am saying this, but the Taurus beat them hands down. I am anxious, and nervous to see how reliability goes, but Ford has already surprised me a couple of times, so hopefully they just keep doing it. For those of you in the same boat, and comparing, please go test drive one of these, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    robnis: IMHO FWD is no substitute for a little bit of driving skill and common sense. I live up in snowy New England and I'll agree that a FWD car is usually easier for an unskilled driver to get moving straight ahead in the snow. On the other hand I've made it through some incredible snowfalls in RWD cars. One that comes to memory was back in the 70's (when weather forcasting was a lot worse) I got caught on a long trip in a blizzard. I was comfortably plodding along at about 45 MPH on an interstate that had over 6" of unplowed snow on it in my 1972 Torino that not only didn't have snow tires but had the original wide oval bias belted tires that made it a horrible car in the snow (later when I put radials on the car it was as if I had bought a new car). Anyway back to the point. Some joker went blasting by me in a new Saab (FWD). About 3 miles up the road he was flipped over lying in the center divider gully. By the time I made it home there was over a foot of snow on the ground with almost none of the roads plowed as this was a fast arriving and unpredicted storm. I made it home by using a small amount of driving skill and a modest dose of common sense. Getting a car moving straight ahead in the snow is the easy part. Turning and stopping in the snow (and on ice) is the hard part and here I'll argue that FWD has little advantage. I'd guess that those swerving BMW and Mercedes drivers could use some good snow tires, some snow driving practice and touch of common sense.
  • harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    I have had 5 Ford Tauri (I think) as an over the road salesman. Fortunes changed and I now interstate in a Cadillac Concours. I was returning this past weekend from a vacation in Florida and linked up with a new Taurus interstating at 80mph. We flew through Ga for a couple of hours and this car kept up with my 4K pound 300hp caddy with ease. I always had the small l50hp engines in my day. A 3k Taurus with a 200hp engine will get you where you want to go as quickly as you want to get there!!!

Harleybill
  • impalass3impalass3 Member Posts: 1
    GM, what exactly do you mean? I would buy a 2000 Impala over a Taurus any day. The Taurus is one of the most ugly cars on the road today. I recently was unlucky enough to rent a 2000 Taurus, what a piece of junk, besides being ugly it got very bad gas mileage, then it broke down leaving me stranded in unfamiliar ground. Thanks Ford for making such a good car. I will ask for a GM product next time I rent a car.
  • u98seu98se Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading these post for several weeks and have concluded this country is not diveded by political parties, race, or by mason-dixon line but by ford or gm men. (just forget daimler-chrysler). anyway, i just came off an '89 buick 3.3 litre century with 170k miles on it. three steering racks, alternator and starter, and fluids. thats it. now having driven a 1991 taurus for 30k in 1991 as a police cruiser i have purchased a used '98 taurus with 60k on it. its an se and seems in good shape. i only hope it performs as well for me as my used buick did..
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    this country is not diveded by political parties, race, or by mason-dixon line but by ford or gm men.

And women too.

But recently there was also a small war at this board between Chevy Impala owners and the Chevy Malibu ones. With awful slander: Malibu was compared to Chevy Cavalier.
    Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house. The 2000 Impala is just plain ugly from any angle. What ever money Chevy saved on its $1.98 exterior design sure wasn't put into the Impala's cheap looking interior. The GM designers from the 50's and 60's must be rolling over in their graves given the current collection of GM design abominations. No wonder GM has stolen several designers from Ford and other car companies in the last few months. Think about it, just try to picture in your mind what any 2000 GM car looks like. All I can remember is the 2000 Impala and DeVille, which are memorable because they are so ugly, and the Corvette which I can remember as it is one of the few good looking cars GM makes these days. The rest of the lineup is so GM corporate bland they have to put vinyl tops on Buicks and boy racer body cladding on Pontiacs so parking lot attendants call distinguish them from from an Olds.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I'm getting delivery of my Toreador Red SEL tonight. I would like to ask "barjon" what they did to his rear doors to make the gap on them disappear. He posted that on 19 June he had an appt. with his dealer. I told my salesman about it a week ago and they were clueless as to how to fix the problem.

They took the rubber off and tried to replace it TWICE but broke a metal part that helps hold it onto the door. The service manager is very much interested in learning how it was corrected.

Oh, "impalass3", your taste is truly in your mouth. The new Taurus is one of the best looking cars out there. It is outselling all other passenger cars this year. I'm a designer so I know a little bit about design.
    On the Ford/GM "political" line, I've usually been on the GM side, coming from a predominantly GM family (except for my grandfather on my father's side) My real preference is Mopar, but they haven't been so great lately, although I'm happy with my 2000 Intrepid. However, I have to admit I LIKE the 2000 Taurus and Sable! I don't think they have an ugly line on them. I can't even say that about my Intrepid (I don't like the headlights on it...they're too bug-eyed) I'm glad to see Ford doing well with the design. If I was still in the market for a new car, I would consider one.

I want to like GM, after all my family has been buying them since the dawn of time, but I haven't been a big fan of the mid sizes since they replaced the "real" Malibu with the Celebrity back in the early 80's. Ford and Chrysler have come a long way from those Fairmonts, Tempos, and K-cars of the early 80's, but GM has been wallowing with designs like the Celebrity, Citation, first generation Lumina, etc, that they have a long way to go to rebuild their reputation, in my book. And it's going to take more than that resurrected Bel Air/Biscayne/whatever (sorry, but Impalas should have 3 taillights) to change my mind. I might actually go with a Ford product next time around.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    I agree with your idea of the Belair/Biscayne. A real Impala should have 3 tail lights and a luxurious feel. But it's a good start. I like the rest of their cars.
    The latest issue of Autoweek had a short "Autofile" test of a 2000 Taurus sedan with the Duratec. Overall it's a positive review that says (in their opinion) the 2000 Taurus is improved in the areas of ride, comfort and overall feel of the car. They miss the more avant guard design of the last Generation Taurus saying that the 2000 is a bit boring. Funny how all the car rags that blasted the 96-99 Taurus design as being too far out have now turned around and are complaining that the 2000 is too conservative. They also rate it as a lot of car for the money. Their only notable complaint is that the 24V Duratec V6 doesn't have enough low end grunt (torque).
    You hit the nail on the head when you said common sense. It seems every time we have a moderate snow of a few inches here in PA there are more fender benders, when caution, common sense, and slower speeds could have precluded some accidents.
    robnis: I dread driving during the 1st and 2nd snowfalls of the year because of the idiots that have to relearn foul weather driving every year. In my observation about 80% of the drivers up here in the north country use good judgement in snow driving. The problem is there are 10% that drive way too slow and cause problems by backing up traffic and getting them selves stuck on hills. The final 10% wants to go the same speed as dry conditions and we know what mayhem they can cause.

Look at the LS Forum, a prospective LS purchaser just asked about the LS in the snow, 1 reply so far. If you want to do some research on it back in a previous LS Forum part (around Jan- Feb) there were many posts on the LS in the snow, most (if not all) were surprised at how good the LS is in the snow. Remember it has nearly 50-50 weight balance and traction control. In addition their is a stability control option (Advance Track) that had receive very good comments in the car rags and more positive feedback in the LS Forum.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    Congratulations on your purchase, and I hope you're enjoying your new red SEL!

Now, about the rear doors....I'm very confused. Before taking my car in on 6/19, I discussed again with my service advisor exactly what they proposed to do. I was told it involved removing the molding and inserting a black caulking, the same thing that they had done to fix a Contour problem. I felt very uncomfortable with that because the doors on a Contour and a Taurus are completely different, and this fix had never been done to a Taurus before.

I went for a second opinion to another Ford dealer where I had purchased my last Taurus. The service advisor there told me the doors aren't supposed to be water tight, and the gap isn't a problem at all. He said not to have my dealer apply the sealer, because that would look like hell.

Now with opposite opinions, I called the Ford Customer Service center to tell me what Ford says to do. To my surprise and amazement I was told that Customer Service does not have the means to get technical info from the engineers or the manufacturing plants, but relies solely on the opinions of the dealers' service managers.

Therefore, I kept my appointment on the 19th, but only to show my car, and all the other new Tauruses on the dealer's lot, to the actual service manager (not the advisor). I said I did not want the caulking applied. I also showed him how the moldings on a 1999 Taurus were not cut so poorly and had a much better fit. His remedy, for now, is to order a new set of moldings which he will personally inspect when they come in to see if they're cut any better. If they're not, he's going to find out from a regional rep if ordering moldings for a previous year will work. I haven't heard back from him yet.

Now I'm nervous after hearing about the broken metal part on your door, as a result of removing the molding. What did they do for that?

To be continued.....
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I drove my red Taurus for the first time today! WOW!! Yes, it is ticket red. Glad it had cruise.

Barjon, my left rear door looks great! This dealership went way out their of their way to make me happy. I gave them a stack of postings from Edmunds and other places talking about the "gap". What they broke was only a metal piece that comes with the rubber, not anything on the door that would hurt anything.

If your service manager told you the doors aren't supposed to be waterproof, that's true - I was told that too, via the salesman. BUT, I told him to tell the service manager that HE didn't just pay over $20,000 for a car that I hope to have for 13-16 years! If the job was going to end up looking like hell, then they are not careful in how they use weatherstripping glue. I'm in the process of putting on new weatherstripping on my just repainted/repaired 1957 T-Bird. It is aggravating work and I could go the rest of my life and not miss doing that again. But, these guys get PAID to do careful, good work. This isn't something that you can slap-dash and move on.

Looking on their computer, Ford listed nothing concerning the "gap". I'm not sure how they found out what to do, but it looks as tight as a friend's '99 Taurus. The salesman said that Ford must have gotten a new vendor this year for the weatherstripping and their mold for that side was cast wrong. It sure looks that way. I showed the salesman all of the Tauruses on his lot and he showed the service manager.

If he's willing, he can contact Sheehy Ford in Springfield, VA. Keep me posted.
    Hmmmmm maybe I'll have to be objective and drive one this Winter. Appreciated your thoughts.
  • jfata88jfata88 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '93 Taurus with 111,500 km and so far it had not mechanical failures. But lately, there has been an intense rattling sound coming from the roof and its gets really loud. Does anybody have an idea what the hell it could be?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I own a 86 taurus wagon with v6 engine. Have140k on the odometer. ONly prob I had was needing a head gasket at 90k . Cost me only $400 as I knew the mechanic well. Probably would not have needed it if I hadnt had an accident and had to replace radiator. I used a Korean radiator to save a few bucks. Car would run hotter than normal and eventually I blew the gasket. Rather than replace radiator at this age, I replaced thermostat with a 160 degree spec and have no more problems. Except for lots of body rust, car runs fine and is like an energizer battery--I cant kill it.

this car owes me nothing--

Just bot a 300M as my main vehicle, but use the taurus for mall runs and in bad weather. Taurus handles well in the snow and rain.

Taurus is a good value and looks great.
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I have a 97 Taurus GL. Totally satisfied with the car. Just wondering if anyone had this problem. My interior lights wouldn't go out without closing the door 20 times. Dealer replaced a switch. 18 bucks for the switch and 2 hours later it was fixed. They had a Sable in the service area for the same problem. Anyone else experience this? Dealer new what to do when I called for an appointment. Got a feeling this is a common problem.
  • ljerrydljerryd Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at family cars and the only two American sedans that interest
    me are the Taurus and new Saturn L series. I found a Saturn forum and from
    reading the posts, most of their complaints are fit and finish, not major
    mechanical problems.

According to my rather limited research, the Taurus seems to have good days
    and bad days. I recently drove a 2000 SES with the 24 valve V6. It seems
    like a good value, roomy, and has plenty of power. Are there any options I
    should consider or steer clear of? I did notice that there is a slight delay
    when pressing the gas to the time the auto trans actually decides to engage.
    Is this normal? Have they gotten the engine and transmission reliability
    improved any? I am tired of continual transmission problems with my Chrysler
    minivans and don't want to be stuck after 3yr/36000mi with a bucket of
    problems on a 20k+ new vehicle. Do you think that Ford's extended warranty
    is any good?
  • rich94rich94 Member Posts: 4
    I'm also having a problem with my interior lights staying on (97 Taurus). I had a new switch put in about two months ago and its acting up again.
  • u98seu98se Member Posts: 2
    earlier in these post i indicated i recently purchased a 98se with 60k miles on it. felt good about it because of stories of 150k mile tauruses and my own 170k buick. this car came with 90 day/3k warranty. at one month and 1200 miles i took it in for front end noise and burning oil smell. the rt frnt axle seal was replaced and the frnt struts and some linkage parts were replaced. the best part, ford refused to honor the warranty!
    i fought them, explained that a warranty on a window sticker is a binding contract per the ohio attny generals office. they came off half the bill and i gave in. anybody have similar problems with warranties and/or frnt end noise. this problem is spookily similar to my 96 windstar...
  • tim1966tim1966 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1999 Ford Taurus SE Sedan, and I really think it is one of the most comfortable cars that I have ever owned. I have driven the 2000 Chevy Impala a nice car but gutless. I drive 780 miles a week and I drove the Impala for about a week, but I will put my Taurus up against the Impala anytime as far as dependability, and comfort. I had the Impala for a little over a week, and it was in the shop after the first two days that I had it. I rally wanted the Impala, but when I got it I was very Disappointed.
  • brh2brh2 Member Posts: 1
    You go, McDill!

As the owner of one Ford product ('98 Explorer XLT) and one Chevy ('00 Impala LS) I can say I've had far fewer (read: none) problems with the latter. Now I leave the Explorer to the wife and only drive it when I absolutely have to.

A buddy of mine is a salesman and puts a lot of miles on his Taurus, to which he has always been loyal. But after he came to visit me this spring, he wanted an Impala. Rides better, rides stronger, is roomier, and you can find your car in the parking lot instead of trying to figure out which of seventeen silver Tauruses is yours.

I agree that Impalas should have six taillights, three on each side; after all, that's what my dad's '70 had. But that's kind of a strange reason NOT to buy a car, isn't it? The 2000 Impala's taillights are still distinctive - and isn't that the point, that you could always spot an Impala a mile away because of the taillights?

Some of this board's comments about the Impala ("slumming," "$1.98 exterior") are offensive and grounded in little else but jealousy.
  • matramatra Member Posts: 5
    the 17 "tauruses"..is a good point all "Silver"....."touche"...but "never argue with success is another...".....mine is a "Autumn Gold"#....SEL...
This discussion has been closed.