Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• The things I noticed on my Taurus compared to my previous Accord are:
    Vulcan V6 does not have highway passing power, but seems quick enough at low speed in town and for intial acceleration onto freeway onramps.
    Lighted controls on steering wheel are nice (especially since they are not as easy to control without looking as the Hondas).
    Sloppier body panel fit and bigger gaps between panels.
    Exterior street lighting on side mirrors when remote keyfob is used to unlock doors.
    Keyfob is not as ergonomic as the Accords and it is very easy to accidently press the panic alarm. (On the Accord the panic button is smaller than other buttons and has to be held down before it goes off).
    A little quieter.
    Some wallowing and extra bouncing over speed bumps and exiting from driveway to street. Feels like struts could already be wearing out after only 24K miles.
    Brakes softer and takes more predal pressure for the same stopping force.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    I wouldn't worry about your car sitting on the dealer lot for a long time, particularly in the moderate SF bay area weather. My minivan sat over a Wisconsin winter on the dealer lot and had no problems as a result. Besides, you have the full warranty to work with. Any leaks or problems from sitting will likely show up in the next 3 years/36k miles. I would've taken your deal without hesitation. You saved likely about $3k over the same 2003 car.

Your other comments are similar to my experience as well except I don't notice a brake ergonomic problem, but I have driven Tauri now as my primary car since 1990, so am likely used to the brake placement. I don't notice it much different than my wife's '96 Caravan, however. My Taurus does not have the adjustable pedal option, however, so if you do, the pedal placement may be different than mine.

Taurus tight handling and ride without being punishing is definitely a winner. That and I have had absolutely no squeaks or rattles after 24k miles and 2-1/2 years.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Posts: 205
    I have already 10,000 miles on my Sable LS Premium (means Duratec). No problems so far, even minor. Going to the second oil change. Both times dealership (Fremont Jeep-Lincoln-Merc) sent me coupons for oil change for $28 and free inspection and tyre rotation. Downside is that you have to be in dealership about 1,5 hour. On my older Taurus oil change takes 10 minutes in something like Quicklube though they put cheapest Mobile.

I have no problem with pedals except I would like to move them farther away, so moving pedals is no help for me. Breaks on Taurus/Sable is worst compare to competition, but for everyday usage it is okay. They are a little spongy but I get used to it on my older Taurus (that has disk brakes on wheels).

Steering is not so fast as on more modern cars, but still okay for everyday use. It is a great commute car because it is more quiet and smooth than most of other cars, you don't get tired. Overal impression of interior is good, though craftmanship is not as good as on Japanese or german cars. But I like this overal good feeling, I find Camry and old Accord interior too boring even though better executed, so I like Sables interior more, really during driving I don't pay much attention to details, but Ford has to address this issue in next design.
    There is a favorable review of 2003 Sable in the carconnection:

"If somehow I could have been blindfolded when approaching the car, then blinkered while driving it, I would have sworn that I was in a peppy, responsive, nimble yet solid touring sedan from... Well, I wouldn't have been able to say where from exactly. The 2003 Sable delivers more pleasurable road feel and feedback than its typical Japanese rivals from Toyota and Nissan. On the other hand, the Sable is a bit cushier in the ride department--a little less severe, perhaps, in the way it absorbs bumps and road deflections--than the European models we get over here, most of them Teutonic. Could it be that Sable is a truly genuine interpretation of a distinctly North American automotive idiom? "

The link to the full review is

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5627&n=157,- 180&sid=180
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Nice review indeed!
    At $25,865 - $2000 to $3000 cash back makes this car an unbeatable value. ¿Are station wagons more expensive that sedans in the Taurus/Sable line?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    www.CarConnection.com has a good review of the 2003 Taurus wagon. Seems like lately in the car press, the old 'Bulls' are getting good write ups.

Also, go to the beginning of this forum and it seemed like it was all "my car is junk". Now, there are lot of "I just got a Taurus and it's great." Good news for a change.
  • I am considering a Taurus 2002 SES with 14k and a 3.0 V6 Vulcan engine. I'm ok with the Vulcan the concern I have is that it is a FFV (Flexible Fuel Vehicle) which burns alternative fuels (alchohol based I think. I plan on burning just regular gas. Do you knoe of any reliablity problems with this type of engine or fuel delivery system
    Thanks
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Posts: 793
    I heard/read that the Ranger with that engine has some problems. One of the common complaints is a rough idle.
  • Have a 1999 Ford Tauras, has about 62000km. The problem is when the car is shut off the power sterring fluid backup in to the container. But when the car starts up it sucks it all back through. If anyone know any idea what it could be, it would be very helpful.

Thanks.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    Does anyone here own a Taurus SEL with interior wood trim? I was considering buying a used one in a few years and was curious as to how common they are.
    I doubt if anyone has any idea except Ford how many SEL's are equipped with wood trim. I believe it only came out as an option beginning with the '03 model year, and I really doubt that there are a lot of them out there. Considering that the vast majority of Tauri on the Road are SE and SES models. I would guess the total percent of '03 Tauri with wood is likely less than 5%, and for '00-'02 it is 0%.

Whether a used car has wood trim is about the most minor issue you should concern yourself with when buying a used car, however. You should be much more concerned with the mileage, condition and service history.
  • Basic Info: 2000 Taurus GL wagon, red brown, 76k miles. Ave. 22-23mpg on mix of local and highway.Conservative driver.

History:
    I bought the 2000 Taurus GL wagon Last January at 67K miles from a small dealer. It looked and worked well without any detectable problems. I even sent it to another large Ford dealer to check that it did not have any mechanic problem before I finally bought it. The mileage is high because it was leased by a company for some business purpose. I paid $7, 700 and I thought I had a good deal.

It worked all right till a day last May when it just passed 70k miles. The transmission occurred a sudden death in front of a traffic light. I went back to the Ford dealer who did the mechanic inspection before I bought the car, and they said that the transmission and other “internal” damages are not detectable by the inspection. They also said that the previous owner (the company guys) might have driven the car too hard, which causes the premature failure of the transmission. Finally, towed to AMMCO and the overhaul cost $2000, because it is actually cheaper than the Ford dealer. So overall, it was not a good deal any more.

It worked all right again till now. It is reasonably powerful and comfortable, but I really concern about the internal quality (Especially transmission) of Ford cars and I am afraid that it will go serious wrong some day again, suddenly.

I wish my bad luck had gone.

Thanks.
  • alhar33alhar33 Posts: 2
    In June 02 I was interested in purchasing a fully optioned SEL. I could find only 2 within a 50 mile radius of my home, 1 with the wood panel option. Ford just doesn't make that many SEL's with or without the wood panel. I bought the fully optioned SEL without the wood panel and am very pleased with it. Good luck.
  • alhar33alhar33 Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard anything about the Taurus replacement? I was watching the war news the other day and thought I saw a scroll about a Taurus replacement in 04. Maybe I was dreaming!!!
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    www.thecarconnection.com
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    what's the deal with Ford design anymore? BLAH. Since the focus its all YUCK and dull. The new Mustang is dull. This Futura is kinda, well, boxy, dull, upright.
    Actually, I think the Futura looks pretty decent, but will actually have to wait to see it when it comes out to pass judgment. It certainly looks better than the current Camry and Accord, in my opinion.

I've got plenty of time to wait, as I plan on keeping my 2000 Taurus for seven more years or so, so may see a couple of generation of Ford product in that amount of time

Almost all cars are becoming taller lately, to gain passenger and trunk space without adding length.

Looks like Ford's strategy is to come out with two sedans, one slightly smaller dimensionally than Taurus being the Futura, and one maybe a little larger, the 500. I think they should keep the Taurus name, however for one of these new models.
    When designing original Taurus Ford decided to design it in North European style. And it worked, it was looking even better than new Audi 100 that came same time and had similar design (coincidence).

During 1986 redesign they took direction that no one else were going and lost big time.

Now they are moving in the same direction again. Similar to VW. Indeed in Europe many are simply copying VW, even interior and even gauge cluster. Ford does the same thing. In press release they note that interior has Audi like quality. It tells something. And BTW J May was working for VW before (e.g. New Beetle and Passat is his design).

Taurus will remain unchanged and be sold to fleets and may be other price concious customers. But basically it seems that nameplate is going to be phased out. Anyway name doesn't start with "F" so I don't see a place for Taurus name in Ford line-up. Sable also doesn't start from "M".
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I understand the desire to make cars taller (more space) but they are are looking cartoonishly slabsided. That Chrysler 300 concept yuck. The Futura looks a little like that. I hope we aren't headed for a 70's styling redux.
    I agree that making cars taller without care does make them cartoonish. Camry is very ungainly looking due to the high belt line. Accord is not quite so bad in this regard, but still has some other styling issue problems. Suzuki Aero is one of the worst offenders for cartoonish slab sides.

If you are careful, however, you can pull it off. VW Jettas and Passats are quite tall without being ungainly. Taurus when redone in '00 got a taller roof without looking slab sided. The sculptured doors that carried over may be the key to keeping it from looking slab sided. Focus isn't bad either for being tall. I have trouble liking the rear end treatment of the hatchback versions of Focus. The tailight treatment is just a little too funky for my taste.
    There are talks about killing Mercury. But Mercury is making money. PAG instead is in red and draining money and nobody tells lets kill (sell) Volvo or Jaguar or lets kill SAAB, that is kind of Olds bad, for that matter. I think Ford made a big mistake buying all that PAG brands instead spending money on core NA brands. Who needs so many premium brands ? Now Lincoln and Merc have no car line up, Ford cars quality suffered, Taurus was virtually abandoned.
  • deciding3deciding3 Posts: 13
    I'm looking to buy a new car and found a 02 maxima se with 32k miles for 15K (cloth and stereo is not bose! Is that a good price?
    My other options are 2002- 626/galant 28K miles at 10K
    or 2002 -taurus/malibu at 10.5K , 25K miles.
    While, I realize that these cars are not really comparable and that the maxima is a better car, which do you guys think is the better deal. Price is quite important to me, but i can spend more if I know it will work out better in the long run.
    thanks!
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    My trans died like that around 80K. One day it was fine, the next morning it didn't move. I had mine rebuilt at AAMCO too, and it still jerks once in a while. I would advise getting their extended warranty for a couple of hundred bucks extra I believe, if you plan to keep the car.

Mine is for sale. I have a new Camry XLEV6. BTW, I went to a Ford dealer to check out a late model, and would you know that the salesman did not know what I was talking about when I asked to drive a Duratec. He had to go check with the mgr. and came back saying that they didn't get any because it was 'price-prohibitive'!! This is a large volume dealer.
    I bought both new Sable premium top of line and Camry XLEV6, also top. I got 5000 off from Sable and 4000 of Camry. Very similar vehicles in all aspects, though Camry feels more luxurous and higher quality interior. Sable is more sporty and you get better feeling og road. And Camry was more expensive, 7,5 thousands more. Considering even quality it is still way too much.

On both vehicles I bought exteneded warranty. On Mercury in was about $1000 for 5/100,000 not bumper to bumper, but still covering all crucial parts incluing AC and brakes.

On Camry in was about $700 for same extension but bumper to bumper.

A very good idea to buy extended warranty. BTW friend of mine has Maxima and transmission died at 70,000 miles. If you take Taurus take with 24 valve Duratec. If you are comparing with Maxima don't even consider Taurus with basic engine.
    There's a small problem about saying the Camry, or any other similar car, isn't worth 7.5 thousand more (assuming that is a good measure, when you consider rapid depreciation etc on a Taurus) - there are more people every year preferring to spend that difference. I believe that when people vote with their pocketbooks that tells you something - whatever that is.If they are being stupid then they won't stay that way forever. Ford won't be losing money as they did the last two years and Toyota and Honda will be cutting back on production. So far the trends don't show that is happening. Ford and GM are in survival mode for the next few years.

BTW, I felt that way too some years ago when I bought a Taurus wagon and a Sable. I lost all of this price difference in repairs. Now my Sable at 115K is worth less than a Honda Civic DX of the same year and same mileage. I have about $21K in the car over 1o years.

I know the answer will be that the new cars are better, but we will have to wait and see....

I'm making this point only to point out that stats tell different stories from our subjective opinions. I'm not car bashing or trying to change people's choices.
  • I have a '98 Taurus that the ABS light keeps going on sporadically. When I shut the car off the light resets itself and comes on whenever it feels like it. I don't notice a difference in the braking. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Also, I notice a "thumping" in my front end when accelerating or braking at around 15-20 miles per hour. I've tried changing the tires thinking that it might be a bent rim, but it doesn't seem to help. Had the balancing checked and that is not the problem. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Sugar Cookie
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    you and i know the maxima is a better car anyway.
    better than a taurus (regarless of its engine). go with the maxima. it's reliability is top notch and there will be much more demand for the max if you decide to sell it later.
    Camry is not a paragon of reliability eigther. Transmission is bullet proof right. But engine can require early costly repair and there are other things that break. Of course it is not statistics because people that I know and have problems are not statistics. CR is statistics.
    But look at latest Motor Trend one year report. They replaced oil and AT gaskets on almost new Camry !

But I will report how is going on with Sable Premium and Camry XLE, just for comparison. XLE has currently about 4,000 miles and Sable - 11,000 miles. No problems yet, recalls or dealer trips except of oil chane yet.

I can tell you that XLE is not very popular, thats why they sold it with big discount despite all the high quality (that is actaully on Lincoln level). Because asking price was about 30 grands and for that money you can buy something more exiting.

With Ford actually problem always was that they didn't pay attention to product much, at least in NA. They were more busy with political games inside company, buying those European brands, they just squandered hard earned money IMHO.
  • deciding3deciding3 Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info guys!. I have dropped the mitsubishi galant, 626 & taurus from my shortlist.
    So only the maxima and malibu are left to decide between! I test drove both today and the malibu was better than I expected. With the price at 10K for a malibu 2002 used with 27K miles and 15.5K for maxSE 02, my mind says malibu cause its much cheaper. but my heart says maxima! Which puts me in a dilemma!
    While, price is certainly a big factor to me as I'm just getting out of college and also I don't really need a maxima type of car right now. But I can get the maxima through financing if the deal is good and if it'll be a better and more economical car in the long run. I wanted to know what you guys thought about it as most of you own maximas. Also, would you know anything about the difference in insurance rates for the 2 cars. I'm thinking that the maxima will have a much higher premium.
    i guess you have the cars to make the comparison,even if it's only a comparison. Keep us posted. The problems on my Fords have occurred after 70-80K. The miles before that are generally trouble free for most cars made nowadays. I can say that Ford still doesn't get the fit and finish right. The SES I test drove, 2000 model I think, still had the ill fitting glove compartment door like my 89 and my 93. Yes Jac Nasser squandered this company's money on non-core assets/
This discussion has been closed.