Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• activemanactiveman Member Posts: 2
    I am a new driver, just bought this car two weeks ago. Now I was told the coolant level is low. So which coolant should I choose? Shall I DIY or take it to auto care shops or the dealer? Which is the best( easiest + cheapest) way?

Thanks.

xu
  • juswheelsjuswheels Member Posts: 42
    Within the past month, I traded in the twin to your Taurus but with 76,000 miles on it. Everything in super shape and all maintencace records since new. That said, I agree with the thoughts that you shouldn't trade to "save gas". You won't recover your investiment on just gas savings for many, many years. For myself, I decided to trade because the Taurus was just starting to "nickle & dime" me with repairs. Nothing big but something every month. To be honest, I was also tired of looking at it and I have little doubt, that's the number one reason I decided to trade. I didn't purchase a 2005 Taurus, although I gave them a look. It only took about 1 minute to notice that inside & out the 2005 was a virtual twin to my 2001. Best wishes on your new vehicle choice. :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    What did you buy, if I may ask....? I recently acquired an 05 Taurus by accident - and I'm surprised at how decent it is. I had no desire to own one since 1987.
  • cgoodson99cgoodson99 Member Posts: 3
    My A/C is will blow cold air and then hot after a while, and then back to cold. It seems to do it no matter which fan speed I choose. Am I correct in that if it was low on Freon, it would not fluctuate back and forth? When it does blow cold air, it is really cold, so it leads me to think it is something else. :confuse: :confuse:

Thanks

Car history:
    Bought in Feb 03
    ex fleet car from Michigan
    16k miles, already have had a rear coil spring break and puncture a tire, egr sensor component replaced (Ford extended warranty for this part), power seat motor replaced, and battery died while driving down the road (no kidding!) I hope that this gets better soon, otherwise I feel like I am driving a :lemon:
  • masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Does anyone know if there is a VIN history report available other than Carfax and Autocheck?
  • vppcvppc Member Posts: 58
    Hello.

I was only really wondering if I could sell the car for that much. I think I'll just keep it because I LOVE the car and I did get a great deal on it. Besides that, I don't want to deal with getting another car loan anyway. The payment on this car is $182.96 a month. I bought the car 1/24/05 with 57,000 miles and my payoff is only $6,950 as of today. My loan is 4 years and have 3.5 left to go (assuming I make minimum). I may start paying $200.00 a month and that will shave off about 9 months of payments.

The only thing on this car that don't work is the front passenger seat belt is locked up and only pulls out so far. I don't know if someone yanked it too hard or what, but I just don't feel like fixing it (unless I sell it). I'll just haul people in the backseat.

Not to mention, I use this car daily for PIZZA DELIVERY on backroads,rough terrain, and curves (Southeastern Ohio area). This car has proven to handle well in these conditions and the suspension seems very tough. At idle, this car is SILENT and everything mechanically is fine. I have done routine maintenance (especially the flushes) to keep this baby at its top.

I feel I can easily get this thing to 150,000 with no drama. If I can make it there, I will continue to buy Ford.

Thanks for any input!
    - Alex
    You are most likely correct. I think you have a defective Expansion valve that is hanging up. It will cause exactly the syndrome you have.
    Thanks for your reply I will certainly look in to it and report back... Thanks again
    It ended up being a bad clutch relay switch on the compressor! Thanks for your input. :shades:
  • kathy5kathy5 Member Posts: 2
    Where is this Expansion value located? Would you have to take the dash out totally to get to it? If you take the dash out to get to the expansion value, wouldn't you have to empty the freeon out first right? Is this something a reasonable car knowledgeable person would be able to fix?
    Wish I could tell you for sure - but I think it's serviceable from under the hood.
  • badsablebadsable Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Mercury Sable that I hate but cant afford to trade it in.Well my A\C is not working it doesn't work it doesn't blow any air hot or cold. It work when ever it feels like it and it's almost never can anyone help?
  • johngmjohngm Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 sable that I can't take the rear drums off to look at the shoes. The emergency brake is not on and there is no lock washer holding it on. I've tried to take both sides off but can't. Is there an adjuster behind the drum assembly that I have to loosen? What am I missing?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - if I were you, I think I'd also post that in our Stop here! Let's talk about brakes discussion while waiting for some response here. Hope we can help.
  • chrisptownchrisptown Member Posts: 11
    i recently moved from a '0l sable ls prem. to a new '05 Taurus wagon sel. The dealer got the wagon from another dealer for me. He told me everything was basically the same on the two vehicles. I have had the the taurus a week now and.... the front seats appear to be two inches shorter than the sable seats. (not good for 6'2" 230lbs. also my sable had the MACH in it so does the taurus,however on the sable the amp. for the system was clearly visiable under rear deck, i have yet to get an answer as to where the amp. is on the taurus wagon? eveen the salesperson had no idea. i like the wagon so far, hope seat comfort will told up on long trip. any thoughts? thanks
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    "[The dealer] told me everything was basically the same on the two vehicles."

"Basically the same" in dealer-speak does not mean the same "same" as a reasonable person would mean by "the same." ;)

IOW, their "basically" is a qualifier meaning (in human speech) "close enough for me to sell it to you without having to think that I'm really lying to you, though probably even that is permissible in order to sell a car." :P
  • ambobambob Member Posts: 1
    I have an oil leak. i went to change my oil and the attendant noticed a leak and said it is internal and the engine pulled out and all seals replaced. how much does this cost
  • glinda49glinda49 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking for some AC vents or louvers as some may call them, for a 1995 Taurus. The car is the ever so plenty aqua blue (I see this color everywhere) with the dark grey dash. I cannot seem to find these anywhere. Does anyone know where I may find them? They do not have to be new. The ones in the car now are all mostly cracked and broken. We have a baby in the car alot and it is very hard to try and focus the air conditioning back towards the baby when you cannot control the air blowing inside the car. It is very hot here in Fresno, Ca so anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
  • vanbuyer2vanbuyer2 Member Posts: 19
    I had a 1987 Taurus GL. Completely loaded with the exeption of the digital dash and a moonroof. I just drove a 2005 Taurus. What the hell happened to this car? It really is a rental car now. My 1987 had small head rests molded into the back seat, the cool storage bin on the real deck, map pocets on the backs of both seats, power drive and passenger seats, nice upholstery, adjustable front headrests. Overall the car has a very nice interior feel... felt more expensive than it was. Everything was intuitive and at your fingertips. Okay it had the column mounted shift but it was 1987.

Now, the 2005 feels cheaper than it is and the backseat looks like it came out of a late 1970's domestic. The door panels are awful and nothing is intuitive on the dash. What did Ford do to this once great nameplate?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Well, my guess is you are not comparing apples to apples here in terms of what trim level you drove. Probably you drove a 2005 base Taurus vs a loaded 1987 Taurus.

By contrast, I owned a fairly base 1990 Taurus L, bought new and drove ten years, and I now drive a 2000 Taurus SES again bought new (One notch below the SEL which was the top of the line Taurus in 2000).

Actually between the ten years, my cost for the 2000 SES was not all that much more than the 1990 Taurus L, certainly increased much less than the general inflation in that time period.

Here is what my 2000 SES has that the 1990 L did not:

Dual front Airbags ( the 1990 only had a drive side)
    Dual Visors
    The optional 200 HP 3.0 Duratech (plenty of power for all but the leadfoot-my old Taurus had the 3.0 V-6 Vulcan, a very good engine for the time but nothing like the Duratech)
    Split folding rear seats
    Power Windows
    Low fuel indicator
    ABS brakes
    Remote door unlock and trunk unlock
    Alloy wheels, 16" vs old Taurus had steel 15" wheels
    Flip fold center console (yes, my 2000 Taurus has a column shift, I don't need to impress anyone with a merely cosmetic floor mounted shifter.)
    Power drivers seat with manual lumbar adjust.
    Better mileage by my own measurements
    Time delayed accessories power until door is opened
    Dual map pockets on the back of both front seats
    Much quieter operation
    Sturdier, more versatile front cupholders even though they do not pop out of the dash-they are in the flip fold console
    Rear cup holders
    Smoother ride with no loss of handling-actually the 2000 has better handling, in my opinion

I am sure I missed a few things on this list, but nothing of much importance. I can't think of any single thing that my 1990 Taurus L had that was missing on my 2000 SEL.

Ford dropped all the mid level Tauri for 2005, I believe all that has survived is a stripper base model and the top model SEL. This is a result of tapering off Taurus production and ending it all together very soon, Fusion is introduced this fall and Five hundred was last fall. These two models together are intended to fill the Taurus void.

Complaining about what Ford did or did not do to Taurus is soon to be a moot point. My only wish is they continued the Taurus name on Fusion, but Ford wants all their cars beginning with letter F, so out goes Taurus.
  • rylee40454rylee40454 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Taurus SE with the 3.0L V-6. When you turn the cruise on it just flashes. It will not engage. any suggestions?
  • chrisptownchrisptown Member Posts: 11
    took delivery 0n 7/28 on new SEL Wagon. dealer got veh. from another dealer 300 miles away for me. have had the car 10 days and driven only 5 days. has 825 miles. today backed veh. out of drive way and saw a large spot of liquid where it was parked. it is transmission fluid. i called the dealer (who is 120 miles away) and he told me to have veh. towed to dealership. dealer's tech. had car for 1 hour and service rep/. said they had found the problem--the transmission had been over filled and excess fluid was coming out of the vent hose>" "it must have occurred at the factory." I have bought 10 new taurus and sables in the last 17 yrs. and never had a problem like this. Any one have any thoughts on this??? thanks
  • drewt999drewt999 Member Posts: 1
    Hope you have had som eluck. If so, lease let me know wher you got them. I need louvres and a new dash panel so any leads would be helpful. Thanks.
    Whoa - No Way - Please get that car to a responsible mechanic. It would be beyond rare for an engine to need "all seals replaced". If it's a Taurus, they are noted for having the oil pan seal leak after 50,000 or 60,000 miles. It's an easy fix for just a few hundred (around $300 if my memory is correct) and the replacement seals have been modified to correct the problem. I don't even want to think what pulling the engine and replacing all seals would cost. I don't want to be disrespectful to anyone but if you were having your oil changed in one of those "Quick Lube" places, none, None, NONE of their attendants are remotely qualified to diagnose anything.
    I tend to agree with "badgerfan". However with all respect I will add the following. In June I purchased a new 2005 car. My previous car was a 2001 Taurus. I looked at the 2005 Taurus and within minutes came to the conclusion that the 2005 was a virtual twin to my 2001. It was painfully apparent that Ford hasn't bothered to develope the Taurus. I couldn't see the advantage to purchasing a new vehicle when literally nothing has been upgraded in the last 4 years. No, I didn't choose a Ford this time around and that's Ford's fault. (Over the years I've been very satisfied with their products) - I did give some thought to waiting for the 2006 Fusion in September but after reviewing the specs, decided that it wasn't in my best interest to purchase a car that is noticeably smaller and probably more to the point, has a noticeably higher price. ( Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the "pay more, get less syndrome") - Maybe a Ford, next time around, but right now I'm more that happy with my new purchase and not very pleased with the current direction Ford has taken.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have an '05 Taurus that I picked up last October. It is a COMPANY PROVIDED vehicle. All I can say is time has past it by. The seats are the worst I have encountered in recent memory. The base motor is-at best under powered, and gas miles-per-gallon is pretty poor for a car it's size.

The good? It looks like they have finally worked out the tranny problems. It's been trouble free. The car doesn't corner too bad. It has 28,000 miles on it. I am in sales and do LOTS of driving!
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    It's been a long time since Ford spent a dime on the Taurus and I think that is a shame.

When the first Taurus came on the scene it was a fresh new look at building a mid size sedan. It looked strange for only a few minutes to some and then flew out of the doors of Ford dealers at record numbers. Ford owned the segment for many years and made lots of owners happy and sales made lots of money for FoMoCo.

My first Taurus was a 1989 LX Wagon. What a great "futuristic" way to add a wagon to the family motor pool. Like many folks, I ended up having the tranny re-built, but Ford was still selling lots of Tauri and still making lots of money.

Our second Taurus is my wifes 2001 SEL and she loves the car. I think the 2000 re-do of the disastrous "oval" Taurus left a good looking car and when we bought it we thought we got lots of value for the money. Problem was that Ford had already given up on the Taurus. Like a first wife that stays with you through school and the hardships of early life, Ford ditched "old faithful" and spent millions on the new "trophy wife" (SUVs)...much of that money having been made for them by the Taurus.

While the 2005 looks almost identical to my wife's 2001, Ford has continued to de-content the car taking a little every model year and turning the car into little more than a fleet special.

As a multiple Taurus owner I think Ford should be ashamed that they abandoned a car that did so much for them. The fact is that the Taurus name is a detriment to Ford now and the blame for that goes right back to them. The car paid back many many times on their investment and instead of using some of that money keeping the vehicle current and at the top of it's game they diverted funds to other areas. They are paying the price now and while the Accord and Camry solder on, the car that exploded the segment back in the late 80s will be put out to pasture.

Whoever decided to put all their eggs in the SUV basket left the Taurus and all of Ford's other car lines out in the cold. Now it looks like they are paying the price for that decision as the Taurus goes out the door and the 500 trys to win an uphill battle against the anti-Ford automobile (not truck) tide. Perhaps this is poetic justice for the way Ford turned it's back on the Taurus but it is still a shame that the nameplate that meant so much all through the 90s leaves the car market with it's tail between it's legs.

Shame on you Ford
    FDThird,

I couldn't have said it better myself...... :shades:
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    After owning my 2000 Taurus SEL for just over 5 years I finally reached 30,000 miles. On that day last week I had the engine icon come on. I thought: oh, great! Had the codes read and it turned out to be some carbon in the ERG screen or valve - not sure which the guy said. The darn light came on later that day and stayed on for three more days then went out for three more days (today).

After reading all of the troubles on the maintenance site I'm just holding my breath and hoping NOT to see that icon again. The mechanic did say that my problem is from NOT driving the car too much (only 6 miles a day).

Took the opportunity to have everything that the manual suggests for 30,000 miles done. Only had the fuel filter changed by the mechanic (not into gas spraying all over me :( ). Hoses and belt were all fine and so was the transmission fluid. Since I put less than 6000 miles a year on the car, mechanic said to check it in a year. Came home and changed air filter and cabin filter for the first time. Air filter didn't look that dirty compared to other cars that I've driven when I was in a carpool and drove 60 miles twice a week.
    Not that it means much statistically, but there are a lot more frequency of posts in the Camry and Accord maintenance discussions than there are for Taurus/Sable.

My 2000 SES Duratech is approaching 50K miles and I will be replacing the OEM tires soon as I want more tread for the coming winter. Thinking of going with BF Goodrich Traction TA as it appears to be a good tire at a reasonable price.
    I will have them take a look at the brakes as well when I get the tires changed, and check alignment. I have noticed just a slight amount of shudder coming down from high speed stops. I must have a slightly warped rotor.

Other than routine maintenance, all else is well. Not a single squeak or rattle to this day.
  • mfs37mfs37 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Taurus w/ about 93K miles. The service engine light came on. The mechanic scanned for codes and found a code for a bad solenoid. The car has started shifting into overdrive. The mechanic--a trusted local mechanic in a relatively small town--says that the Taurus is notorious for weak transmissions. He says he can replace the solenoid for around $400--apparently lots of labor. But he has no confidence that this repair will work because of what he perceives as the bad Taurus transmission. He recommends a remanufactured transmission at $2400 (including labor), as he says the remanufactured transmission has the weaknesses fixed and comes with warranty.

Does this all sound correct? Are Tauruses from the '90s notorious for bad transmissions? (I notice others on the forum have had the solenoid code come back). Is a remanufactured transmission necessary (as opposed to solenoid replacement)? Is the price in line?
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    Badgerfan, do you think that the lack of postings to this site is from apathy or??? I remember back 5 years ago a lot more of the regulars were posting all the time when our cars were new and redesigned. Since Fords' designers have taken a break from designing anything new for the Taurus I guess we have nothing to talk about. You and I and maybe a couple of others who purchased new, have had good luck with our cars so most of the time I just read the comments. Of course I don't drive it much so maybe my day will come with the complaints.

Are the Honda/Toyota folks happy with their cars?

Do you also have a Camry and Accord that you take the time to read their sites or are you just curious?

I was opening my mouth too soon when I posted last time - last night that darn engine light reappeared on the way home from the commuter lot!! :mad:
    I guess I'll be back at the mechanic's early Sat. morning after all. Another Sat. morning shot. :cry:
    In my respectful opinion only. As a former Taurus owner (2-time) I think we have to be honest. The Taurus is a "good" car with a "good" record. Since litterally nothing new has been added since 2001, it's actually become quite boring to drive. The features available on the Taurus have become about as exciting as watching your Grandmother knit. The hurtful truth ("Hurtful" to us, the consumers) is, that todays Taurus, as a fleet only car, is right where it belongs. Actually I'm not that disappointed in the car itself, but rather greatly disappointed with Ford for letting it happen. :(
  • bigbaby17bigbaby17 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2002 SEL Premium w/ 32k miles a few weeks ago. Both of my parents have Taurus's and I know how reliable and powerful the 200hp V-6 is. I am wondering if there are any aftermarket accessories or options available?? I'm not really talking about anything to make the car go faster or anything like that, its fast enough for me. I am mostly looking for cosmetic accessories. My car is completely loaded (leather, floor shift, moonroof, MACH, 6 disc CD, automatic climate control, spoiler, side airbags, traction, security alarm, dual front power seats, etc.) so Im not sure if there is anything else I can possible add to it. Ive thought about rims but I dont want to make it look ricey. Any ideas would be appreciated!! As for the car itself, so far I love it.
    "The hurtful truth ("Hurtful" to us, the consumers) is, that todays Taurus, as a fleet only car, is right where it belongs. Actually I'm not that disappointed in the car itself, but rather greatly disappointed with Ford for letting it happen".

I agree with you...but here is another angle. My wife goes on vacation and rents a Nissan Altima. She comes back and says what a nice car it is. Conversely, someone rents a Taurus, (and we all know how time has past the Taurus by) and says to him/herself, "What a piece of garbage."

The bad thing is they may NEVER CONSIDER ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT based on their encounter with the "fleet special" rental Taurus. You see, this is the danger when a car maker "decontents and neglects a car for years". At least on this one, I think GM has it right-just manufacture one primary car (the Malibu Classic) for the rental market!

I have an '05 Taurus SE (company provided vehicle) and at 28,000 miles the passenger side wheel hub (i.e. wheel bearing) was replaced and now the drivers side is whining! Where is the excuse? They have been making this car for years!!!!!
    I just read the Camry and Accord sites out of curiousity, not that I own either.

As far as lack of Taurus posts, I am sure it is mostly apathy on the part of owners, as Taurus is coming to a soon end as Ford is replacing it with 500 and Fusion. I am looking forward to when Fusion hits the showrooms and gets into owners hands, even though I will not be in the market for another 4-5 years, assuming my Taurus doesn't get totalled!

Like I posted, however, the statistics of frequency of posts can become blown way out of proportion to experience with a particular car, good or bad, just by a few zealous posters.

However, if there is something serious affecting a lot of a particular model, you can be assured there will be a ton of posts (like the Camry sludging in the past, or current transmission recalls on most Honda models with V-6 engines).

I am seeing little or none of that for the current (and final, allas) generation Taurus, so my assumption is that there are no glaring reliability faults and most owners are happy even if apathetic.
  • jbiz23jbiz23 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2005 sable ls, which replaced my 2002 sable. On the 2002 sable i had the mach audio system with 6-disc cd changer. This system had speakers placed on the upper portion of both the driver and passenger doors which said "mach audio system" on them. In my new sable i also have the 6-disc changer and i thought i also had the mach audio system, but these speakers are not present. I was under the impression that the only way to get the 6-disc changer was with the mach audio system. I was wondering if anyone knew if mercury stopped placing the speakers there as they had in the past or if it is actually possible to just get the 6-disc changer seperate from the mach audio system. Any light that could be shed on this situation for me would be greatly appreciated.
    As for as I know, they are seperate options. I am not entirely sure on the Sable, but on the Taurus they are seperate options. The 6 disc CD and the MACH system did come together in previous models, such as yours, but I have no clue as for the 05. As for stopping production of it, the sable itself has been recently pulled from production. Suprised you were able to actually find a new one. The new Montego will replace the Sable; the 500 for the Taurus. The Taurus will stick around for some years however mainly as a fleet car.
    "The Taurus will stick around for some years however mainly as a fleet car".

The last I read was the Taurus was going to be stopped the first quarter of '06.
    That's whats ford is saying now, but I doubt if they get rid of it then. The Taurus is still a very popular vehicle, I believe it is still the 3rd best seller. Ive heard that roughly 45% of sales are too fleets. The larger 500 is expensive, prolly too expensive for the fleets; the fusion won't be coming for awhile and appears to be smaller than the Taurus. I don't understand why Ford is getting rid of the Taurus; they should have just given it a complete makeover.
    Fusion will likely be in dealer lots in a few weeks, and I believe though it may be a bit shorter than Taurus/Sable, will probably have about as much interior room and trunk space.

A low end 500 can be had for under $20K, and Fusions will likely sell for in the $16k-$22K range depending on equipment level, so Ford is not exactly walking away from the midsize sedan market.
    I checked Ford's website and came up with this information. The 500 has a starting MSRP of $22,840 without a single option. Loaded limited's run well over the $30k level. Taurus starts at about $21k. The Fusion, however, starts at about $18k. My sense is that the Fusion will replace the old Contour. Focus is the economy, Fusion is between Focus and 500, 500 is the large mid-size, and the Crown Vic remains as the full size car. The Fusion also wont even be standard with a V6. I just see these new vehicles as a risk for Ford; the Taurus name was a best seller for many years straight and even recently has still been very popular. Fusion and 500 must be homeruns; though since it appears that both are really midsize, I doubt if they are ever best sellers.
    Pricing I listed of under $20K for 500 SE base model is what you can buy it for, not the MSRP, which is a meaningless number. . Also, note the base 500 without a single option already includes the DOHC V-6 which was an option on Taurus except for the top of line model, and the base 500 SE is pretty well equipped, about what a mid range Taurus SES or SEL without leather was equipped. Note since Taurus is being phased out, Fords offering of equipment and options has also been severely scaled back, and I am not sure that it is even currently available with the DOHC V-6 option.

Likewise I am estimating Fusion actual negotiated pricing starting at $16K, or maybe even closer to $15K.

As far as Fusion base model having a 4 cylinder engine, that is appropriate for this classification, as Camry and Accord and most of the other competition has base 4 cylinder engine. I would bet Fusion with 4 cylinder will be approximately similar in performance, or may even be better than Taurus with the base Vulcan pushrod V-6. If it has good fuel efficiency, given rapidly rising gas prices, the 4 will likely be fairly popular.

I do lament the loss of the Taurus name, but in my opinion, Fusion will be a worthy replacement, and for those who want something bigger, with an enormous trunk, 500 is available.
  • jamz117jamz117 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 99 taurus SE i was wondering am i able to get a dash mounted cd player for my car or do i have to buy the disc changer that mounts in the trunk?
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    mfs37, I do not think you need to replace transmission. Just change solenoid. If it really brakes down then rebuild it. There were problems with pre '95 Taurus electronic transmission that has been fixed in redesigned ’96 model.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I have 2002 Sable LS Premium and 2003 Focus 2.3L. Also keeping ’94 Taurus. ’94 Taurus still impresses with quality of ride, I can understand why it was so hot in 80s and early 90s.

Sable feels little bit outdated and underpowered compared with Focus. Almost everything in Focus is better – steering, suspension, engine, seats, acceleration… 2.3L I4 Duratec runs smoother at idle that Sable’s 3.0L V6 Duratec – how it can be?

Still Sable has some advantages - leather trim, more upscale features and more premium feel. And yes it is roomier and more comfortable.

I am looking forward for Milan. If Focus is so good – Fusion/Milan must be impressive, especially if they refined 3.0L Duratec.
    Well Im not in any real position to argue as Im only 17; I just think the Taurus is a great car and I hope that whatever does replace it is even better than it is. As for the DOHC engine being not available, when I was car shopping he told me they have stopped producing them. He said leather and moonroofs are rare for 05 but wood interior trim was standard on SEL models.

You seem to know much about the Taurus, so Im hoping that you can help me with a question. My 2002 SEL is equipped with the "MACH" sound system. Ive heard that this same system is used in GT Mustangs. Is it really the same sound system with the watts and stuff? It is much louder than my mothers standard 99, and has 2 additional speakers. Also, my car has every available option except for the wood trim, do you know if Ford offers it on cars already sold?? Do you know any good wood sites and do you even think its worth it??
    I couldn't tell you whether Mach system in your 2002 SEL is comparable to that in the GT Mustang. My gut reaction would be no, as the designs are so different in generation, the current Taurus dating to 2000 with a few minor revisions, and the Mustang having just been introduced.

As far as fake wood trim, I don't care much for it, and can't say I am all that enthralled with some or the recent trends toward fake metal, chrome, or brushed aluminum either. A little goes a long way, in my opinion and many times too much just ends up looking too fake.

I believe there are some aftermarket outfits that sell fake wood, or maybe even real wood trim kits. You might want to do an internet search.
  • masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Looks like i'm not the only one with Taurus problems and mine is a 2005, i've got vibration, suspension and brake issues already, I was told before I purchased my Taurus that they were very dependable and long lasting cars and very trouble free however I must have purchased the lemon on the lot.
  • taurus95taurus95 Member Posts: 1
    95 taurus 3.0 v6 auto can i adjust somthing or do i need a chip?
This discussion has been closed.