Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• reesejreesej Member Posts: 23
    Checked my Taurus under the hood and everything looks good. The tow hooks are non-existent on the rear underside of my car -- could these be temporary hold-down hooks (and thus rusty from repeated use) for carrier transport that were inadvertently left on?
    Yes we can all get along -- as soon as a few posters learn some proper etiquette. Per the conference agreement, we are to "agree to disagree in a civil manner", but there is a limit as to the outright garbage we should have to accept in doing so. I am just taking issue (as I am allowed to) with such garbage being posted. Some of the blatant posts could almost be considered as harassment (which violates the user agreement) for owning a Taurus or Ford product. I am done on this issue for now -- Thanks for lending an "ear".
    As an FYI, the SEL has computerized temperature control, so there is a possible difference from other models. My SES does fine with the standard controls and only needs the actual A/C settings on upper 80's plus days. The cooling that is supplied by the split panel/floor setting is acceptable up into the 80's. The panel only and floor only settings are the only settings that do not provide additional air cooling ("Off" doesn't either). I got the optional floor shift console that has panel vents on the back of it -- my back seat riders don't complain anymore about the temp.
    I'm not sure about traction control. Thought I might want it, but bought without. It takes a bit to break loose on dry pavement and reasonable driving keeps me in contact in the rain. Haven't driven in the snow yet, but usually want the option of spinning the tires to chew through deep snow without having to turn traction control off. Bottom line was that I didn't think it would actually be of any use. I have ABS though, and it is absolutely worth it -- just learn to hard brake with it correctly.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I can't agree more with the last posting. I check in from time to time to learn more about my now, month old SEL not to hear about other brands. If I was interested in them, I'd be at that site!

It's time to shut up or move on!
    My SEL is very cold on the lowest of settings. It came with the automatic control. It also came with the leather seats. I use one of those windshield shades when the sun is out and it helps keep it cool. Just follow the manual guidelines and open all of the windows for a bit to expell the hot air - then put the A/C on.

In regard to someone complaining about the hard leather seats - I rented a Taurus for two weeks with cloth seats and found them hard. The leather seem slightly softer, but not by much.

I miss the cushy seat in my 1984 Mustang convertible!
    I am 6'2" with 34" inseam and 35" sleeve lengths and my SES with the optional floor shift console and bucket seats fits me very well -- I don't even have to have the seat all the way back (power seat). I also have the power adjustable pedals since my wife is only 5'1" -- she is able to adjust everything to her liking also. There is a lot of headroom and the center console doesn't bother me at all. My key-ring hangs down on my leg, but I get that no matter what since they have put the ignition on the column to lock the steering.
    I checked the underside of my car today and have found no evidence of hooks of any sort - nor any rust either. My car is only a month old and hasn't even gotten wet yet, except when I wash it. Haven't looked under the hood since I bought it, so I better not see any rust that was mentioned previously.
  • snugglbondsnugglbond Member Posts: 4
    I noticed a post about someone that saw a 95 SHO for under $7000. RUN AWAY!

Maybe some of the SHO fans can help us with ours. We own a 95 3.2L v6. It is a dream...such pickup...so fast, and what a head-turner in green with dark tint and tan leather. When it runs.

The dealer can't figure it out. It sounds suspiciously like the description of the other Ford's with the ignition control module on the distributor, which causes them to shut off when over 257 degrees F. But, our ignition control module is on the DOHC. Which, of course, gets blisteringly hot and could conceivably cause the same problem as the other stalling Fords.

This SHO has been in the shop 9 times since mid-March, most of the time in the shop, only with us for a day at most between times. We bought it used last year with a rebuilt tranny, which we felt was safe considering the Ford tranny reputation (all 5 of the 95's we know have new/rebuilt tranny's). Tranny is fine now...but this problem has lasted 5months and no one can figure it out, including Ford's engineers. The car just shuts off at highway speed or idle following a combo of highway drive/suburban driving. We have replaced 3 ignition control modules, the crank and cam sensors, the water pump, the fuel pump and all related components, including fuel injection system, wire harness (most recent...don't know where this was from...just picked up car and service mgr had gone home, so will check with him Monday)and the EGR valve system. The computer has been pulled and checked clear. The car is throwing codes like confetti...every time it is something different but always the same problem...just turns off. All lights come on, and it sounds like a jet engine cutting off (quieter of course, just the hum) as the car turns off. I lose brakes and steering every time. One of these times someone is going to slam into me and we will be hurt. Any suggestions??? It really sounds like the ignition control problems the 3.0's were having, but this is a 3.2. I think I saw some 3.8's were also having this problem, but the design on the 3.2 is different in that the module rests on the DOHC. The dealer is clueless at this point. So are we. We are holding on until next tax return to trade it, as we can't afford to until then, but I fear that it won't past the test drive to trade in. It cuts off every 15 yards or so. But, man, how nice those 15 yards are! It really is a fun car to drive...I just wish ours would actually drive. PLEASE HELP OR OFFER SUGGESTIONS!!!! I have scoured the internet for help. I have reported to NHTSA. I have called the service mgr, the general mgr, the owners of the dealer, the zone mgr, and Dearborn (executive offices). No one cares. We are past the bumper to bumper so it isn't their problem. I feel this SHO has an intrinsic problem in design. Maybe I am just used to Toyotas...it is inconceivable to me that a car under 100k miles would be unfixable unless wrecked. Oh, I checked at carfax while on that topic...the car is clear there. SUGGESTIONS??? We really love our SHO...family size, leather (easy to clean with kids), LOTS OF POWER, fast (husband loves that), huge trunk, looks great, did I mention fast? But it is useless to us like this and no one seems to know what is wrong.
    Thanks!
    Tracey
    tlbond@bellsouth.net
  • tractiontraction Member Posts: 141
    The problem you described could be a loose ground wire, for the computer or whatever. If the car had the tranny removed once, the ground wire may have not been put back on tight.

You can also check out www.showshop.com for more info. A lot of SHO owners on that site have been driving their SHOs for more than 200,000 miles on the original engine and have a lot of experience.
  • lveallveal Member Posts: 1
    I am happy owner of Nissan Altima who until today, snubbed my nose at "domestic" cars1 Today I drove a 99 Taurus and changed my view completely! I am planning to buy a late model used Taurus - probably spending $12,000 for SE model - does this sounds reasonable? Anything in particular to look for?
  • goldorakgoldorak Member Posts: 6
    Here, go there, I found it in the FAQ of SHOtimes: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3stall.html
  • goldorakgoldorak Member Posts: 6
    Well, the only answer (don't worry, I'm not complaining, I know it's not everyone who's got a '95 SHO...)I got on how reliable was the '95 SHO was pretty harsch on the car. And all the information I've read about Tauruses so far all point to one thing: The Taurus seems to be a very unreliable car, and I've read tons of horror stories that got me pretty scared about this model. So here's the thing, can anyone here convince me that the '95 SHO is still agreat buy or should I just start looking for something else?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    don't label the taurus as unreliable. the 96-99 have been quite reliable.

the 86-95 have particular parts of the car that have maybe been in question.

Any of the Taurus with the 3.8 OHV v6 could maybe be deemed unreliable. This motor has a history of blown heads, but this is well documented.

A lot of Taurus' of all models / years up to 95 have had auto tranny problems from itme to time.

And yes, the SHO's of 89-95 have been questionable, although the later models and automatics 92-95 seem to hold up better than the 89-91'a. I had an 89 SHO and it was not a Toyota, but at the same time it was not junk.

The 95 will be a good buy 4 u if you get it cheap enough and save a little mony on the side for fixes (as anyone should do when they buy a used car, why do you think the seller is selling it in the first place!!!)

I would browse consumer reports also for reliability ratings.
  • hickory987hickory987 Member Posts: 1
    I looking to buy a used 97' Taurus. I was hoping if anyone can tell me anything I should look for about this year model. It was a company car and has 75,000 miles on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    about the only thing to inquire about is the transmission.

I have a sales man friend who racked up 80,000 on a '96 Vulcan v6 and 90,000 on a '97 Vulcan v6 taurus that were both trouble free, although he may have had the tranny checked out on the 96 for something. The 97 was flawless. Then they took away the Taurus and he had to choose between the Dodge Stratus and several GM makes (Century, Grand Am, Malibu, Lumina, Monte). He couldn't stomach the GM stuff so he went with a Stratus but is looking forward to the new 2001 Taurus being available to him this fall.
  • missomisso Member Posts: 2
    I have test driven a 2000 Taurus SES that I like but there seems to be excessive air noise when on the highway, like the door isn't closed all the way or the window isn't up. The salesman had the service department check it out and they said they didn't find anything wrong with the seals. The salesman told me if they could find something that's fixable they'd fix it. Has anyone else experienced excessive air noise on the 2000s?
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    Misso, I've had my 2000 Taurus SEL for 2 months now and I also notice noise from the front passenger-side door at speeds above 50 mph. It's like a "buzzing" sound that I hear. I'm not sure if it's coming from the upper door frame or the outside pull handle. It seems to stop when the car gets wet from rain. I haven't mentioned this to my service department yet because I'm waiting to see if it goes away with time.

I remember a similar situation when my '97 Taurus was new, and treating the rubber seals around the door with a silicone lubricant stopped the noise.
  • matramatra Member Posts: 5
    I also have an Sel...today I heard a noise with the drivers window just cracked slightly...when the window was closed....no noise...could be seals...
    Keep you informed.
    Matra
  • tcengiatcengia Member Posts: 4
    I noticed the wind noise soon after purchasing my SES. The dealership couldn't isolate the problem.
    However, after washing the car I noticed several areas around the windows of both rear doors that were leaking. The dealership had to order 2 new door window channel gaskets. They are still on back order. I'll let you know if this eliminates the wind noise.
  • dawaynedawayne Member Posts: 2
    I bought the car this April 18 and it was back in the shop the 23rd of the same month and about every 2 or 3 weeks after that. The first problem was the front in shaking when braking the steering wheel would shake so they replaced only 2 tires and turned the disc's next problem car pulling to the left tried to fix it then it pulled to the right. Next problem you would have to drive over 100 miles before the gas gauge would register that was replaced twice and still not working right next problem the back door windows LEAK water,seals have been replaced and it still leaks not a bad leak but bad enough the inside gets wet. I'm not saying all Ford Tauru's are bad, (but). I will say that the dealer I got it from was Duval ford in Jax,fla and the only one that has really helped me is my service advisor the rest of management could care less. Just to let you know I have been awarded to get a total refund of my down payment plus all the payments made. This was my first Ford and will never buy one again because of this. Concerned Consumer.
  • dawaynedawayne Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I forgot to mention that my car is a 2000 Ford Taurus that I bought brand new!!!!!
  • fastfreddy1fastfreddy1 Member Posts: 2
    The wife got a new 2000 Taurus SES in early May. She loves it. Her only complaint is the gas mileage 18 mpg in town, 23-24 mpg on the highway. My experience is that this car handles better than Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. When we were looking we drove both of those fine automobiles and picked the Taurus because it had enough headroom for our 6'2" sons in the backseat with a moonroof. The only other car that did was the Chevy Impala and my wife said that car was too big for her. The Taurus has more than enough get up and go for our needs but I wouldn't consider this a "muscle car".
    The rear door molding on one of the doors had a slight gap has been discussed in other postings. When the dealer was looking at it he preceded to break the door molding and has ordered a replacement molding. In the meantime the gap he have now is very big so if you bring this up to the dealer make sure he has door moldings on hand.
    On other comment, the August issue of Consumer Reports published costs to repair several vehicles including the 1992 Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. The cost of repairing the Accord and Camry was considerable higher than the Taurus (i.e. engine short block+assembly and valve grind+gasket set: Taurus-$3,240, Accord-$5490, Camry-$5230.) This tells me two things: first that the Accord and Camry use more expensive parts, and two they better be reliable since the cost of fixing them is very high. Is there any other place to see similar data?
  • fordman33fordman33 Member Posts: 32
    Several folks have made reference in this forum to the "Impala being a bigger car than the Taurus"; I'm here to dispel the myth. For the full comparison, follow the link:

http://www.autoweb.com/researchnew/compareDetails.htm?modelone=2000FORTAURUS%2D%2DSE%2DF4SDN%2D%2D&modeltwo=2000CVYIMPALA%2D%2DBASF4SDN%2D%2D&pricerange=&searchtype=surel

The quick and dirty:
    Weight - Impala weighs 21 lbs. more
    Width - exactly the same
    length - Impala 2" longer
    height - Impala 1.4' taller, but the Taurus has more interior headroom!

Looks can be decieving; the last version of the Impala was much bigger than the Taurus; the differences in the 2000 models is negligible.
  • bag11bag11 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own my second Taurus and overall am very happy with the performance and reliablity. Note: much happy with the '97 over my current '98 model.
    But, in both models I'm getting a whine/moan from the back wheels. Brakes are fine and were replace about 15,000 miles ago. Very noticeable during stop and go traffic. I've brought it to the dealer twice and they can't fix it.
    Has anyone else had this problem and had it corrected?
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Been thinking about ordering a 2001 Crown Victoria, they are offered with 240 hp engine in the handling & performance package. I have to say, other than gas mileage, for a few thousand more you get a much bigger, more solid, body on frame automobile. Not to mention, easily ungradable for more power with the Mustang parts floating around.

I have a 92 Taurus, but I am impressed with the fact that I see tons of old Crown Vics around, and I know of several that have hit 200,000 miles with few problems.

There is a reason cabs and cops use these instead of vans, SUV's, Taurus, Impala's, etc. I'm not sure if I can handle the gas mileage, but hey, it is back under $1.30 around here, and I have the Miata in the garage.

Just another option for any Ford lovers out there.
    240 hp? is that the SOHC 4.6v8?
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I don't know how consumer reports became the ultimate authority on auto reliability. They shouldn't be; do you know if their surveys are statistically valid?

Furthermore, they never mention the repair cost, insurance cost etc for certain recommended cars are high.

Bottom line - if you take that rag as gospel good luck to you. My opinion is they are biased. They give good reliability ratings on new (just itroduced) Toyotas and Hondas. Yet - no rating for a GM or a Ford. What gives. Is it written in their Bible that these brands are always reliable. Are these brands always a wisw dollar choice?

Consumer Reports is not unbiased!
    consumer reports is kinda right up there with national public radio......

you can take that to mean whatever you want it to........
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Yes, I believe they put a new cylinder head from the Mustang GT on the engine this year. The 240 hp is with the package, the base engine now puts out 225 hp. Have not driven one yet, but I wish you could get the handling & performance package with the rear axle ratio of the base car.

Last year, the base model (200 hp) would do 0-60 in under nine seconds. Don't know what it will do with the 240 hp and the gear ratio.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I guess car buyers all across the country did. I think it's a helpful tool for narrowing down your choices. Most other auto magazines also rate Hondas and Toyotas highly. Are they all bias too? Back to Consumer Reports. When new (or redesigned) models are introduced, they don't give reliability ratings on the car (even Hondas and Toyotas). They will indicate what the car's (or other cars from the same company) past history has been as a guide. JP Powers (also highly regarded) generally give high remarks to Hondas and Toyotas too. For personal reasons, I do hope Consumer Reports is more accurate than JD Powers in regards to the VW Jetta's reliability history. Auto World Weekly, a brand new car enthusiast magazine that emphasizes road tests of cars that most people can buy, did a comparison test between the Taurus, Accord and Camry. They had the Taurus ahead of the Camry.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Is ahead of the Camry.
  • shadetree33shadetree33 Member Posts: 6
    Hello fellow car buffs,

I unfortunately own a 92 Taurus LX with the infamous 3.8L that hasn't blown a head gasket ( Yet ). However, It seems they blow around the mid 90k range. Mine has only 89k on the odometer.

Well enough crying already. I had the tranny rebuilt and now I'm on to my next problem area. It seems that when I apply the brakes while coming to a gradual stop the front end shakes violently? I've replaced the rotors, pads and had two new tires installed on the front. I took a quick look at the suspension and it looked okay to me, nothing loose or broken. I'd take it to a shop but after the tranny rebuild, I really can't afford them to spend my money replacing things in their process of elimination method ( Midas ).

In closing, has anyone else had these problems with the front end? Also as a side note, I can feel the brake pedal sticking from time to time, is it possible the ABS is malfunctioning?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd sell it, but have more in it than what it is worth. :(

Thanks
  • fastfreddy1fastfreddy1 Member Posts: 2
    The information presented in Consumer Reports on repair cost in August 2000 was based on the following: the Mitchell Estimating Guide, an industry manual, except for most transmissions, where they used estimates from Portland Transmission in Connecticut, and radiators, which came from Modine, a manufacturer. The information they presented was to help one decide whether to trade in the old car or but a new one. If you like to know about cost data for repairs this article was interesting. But it was for 1992 models so probably has little bearing on the new cars.
    Sorry everyone,

In haste, I posted this mechanical problem in this forum. I later found the appropriate forum for my problems within this web-site.

Sorry, once again.
  • slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    Although this is a Taurus forum....
    I believe that the 2001 Crown Vic 240 HP engine is not the Mustang GT engine (260 HP) but instead uses totally new SOHC heads. The new heads use direct actuated tappets (similar to what the LS 3.9L DOHC V8 uses) in place of the rocker arm actuated valves. The 4.6L engine is also supposed to go to an aluminum block, don't remember if this is happening in 2001 or 2002.
  • aparnet2aparnet2 Member Posts: 13
    Hello everyone,

I have just bought a taurus GL 93' with around 70k miles on it. The thing is that when it was started this noon, there was white smoke or fog coming of the muffler (the pipe stretching from the rear part of the body) with water or some liquid dribbling. And there was a strong smell of oil around the car. I doubt that the oil was burnt in the engine.

What kind of problem is it? Is this problem very serious? By the way, I'm in Gainesville, Florida.

So many thanks,
    Aparnet2
    Auparnet2,

I'm sorry to hear about your car. I believe the GL has the 3.8L. There is actually a recall on the 94-95 Taurus' with the same engine for faulty head gaskets that fail prematurely. I too have have a Taurus' LX w/3.8L it only has 89K on the engine and I pray that I can get it to 100K without any trouble. From the symptoms you're describing It sounds like classic head gasket failure. White smoke, water or coolant out the muffler. What ever you do, don't drive or run the engine, you might have antifreeze in the crankcase? This could ruin your engine real fast. Check the oil dip stick and see if it is creamy or has bubbles in it? Check out the other discussion groups relating to the Ford Taurus and the head gasket problem.

Good Luck,
  • aparnet2aparnet2 Member Posts: 13
    shadetree33,

Thank you for your response!It's a GL with 3.0L. However, even an engine of 3.0L can still have the head-gaskets failure you mentioned. Right? (Another thing is the parts of the engine and transmission, everything is unbelievably clean and shiny better than new. I have been uncomfortable with this. And now I guess the dealership had tried to fix this problem.) Can this failure results in slight vibration of the engine when driving? I can feel it with the steering wheel.

After it came to a stop after some driving and then started again right away, there seemed no smoke.

The salesman of the dealership explained that the smoke was condensation.
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    Aparnet2:
    The salesman is probably right if the smoke is not very thick and it disappears when the car warms up. If you had a head gasket leak you would notice an increased level of coolant consumption and possibly though not always a thick white smoke that smells like maple syrup. I cannot tell you where the oil smell is coming from, but when you first start the car the catalytic converter is not operating fully and is releasing more emissions than usual. This smell is normal, unless you have an oil leak that drips on the exhaust and then burns off as the engine heats up. Finally, the 3.0L engine does not have a history of head gasket failure. Hope this information helps. Later, Wes.
    Aparnet2,

If you have the 3.0L engine, than it's probably only condensation as Wesl's theory had recommended.
    I guess I was thinking about the Mercury Sable GS w/3.8L engine. Just check the coolant level in your radiator to be sure it's not being burned up in the engine again as mentioned by Wesl.

I have not heard of any problems with that particular engine (3.0L). I had an Aeorstar 3.0L w/166k when I sold it and never had any trouble except for the tranny @ 100K.

The early Taurus'/ Sables' 91-95 have had a lot of problems, especially transmissions in all models. You can do a search with any search engine i.e. Hotbot, Altavista etc... To find the repair history for these cars. The head gasket problem seems to only effect the 3.8L engine.

I bought my Taurus a year ago and it will be the
    last Ford front wheel drive car I will ever own. I've already had the tanny rebuilt and having other problems that I've posted on topic Maintenance and Repairs # 153. I'd sell the car but I have too much money tied up in the transmission. Besides, the word is out about the 3.8L head gasket problem. You see a lot for sale in the local paper and on car lots around here. So, who wants to buy a Trojan horse? I've always been a Ford Truck or van person. I've always had good luck with these trucks, which others will disagree. Anyhow, I know all cars can have trouble, even Honda's and Toyota's. I'm just not happy with the reliability of the Taurus. Good luck with your Taurus GL, they're wonderful cars to drive, but who wants to waste money on a car that from the get go has had design defects especially the trannys and head gaskets (3.8L).

Take care and hopefully you'll won't have any trouble with your Taurus like so many other disatisfied Taurus/Sable owners.

See ya and Good luck.
  • maheudtmaheudt Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I almost bought Ford Taurus and then I verified the body paint in the front side very small scratch not noticeable and I showed to the dealer they said they will fix that problem. My question is how they will fix? ( wax or paint ). If wax how many days the wax help?

Thanks in advance.
    This is in response to Barjon and many others who own a 2000 Taurus. I finally got around to asking my service department how they successfully fixed the "gap" at the end of the rear door.

They ordered two new door rails, as they're called, and tried to put them on the correct way (I assume that there are instructions on how it is SUPPOSED to fit onto the car) but in doing it, the clips of BOTH of them broke! They then ordered more door rails and put them on in such a way to not break the clips that keep it on the door. This procedure worked, even though it wasn't the "right" way to do it. No weatherstriping glue was added.

Hope this info can be passed on to everyone's service department. I refused to take ownership of the car until they fixed this problem. I was glad that Barjon and others mentioned it before I bought. Thanks guys!
  • fordman33fordman33 Member Posts: 32
    Just did the second oil change on my 2000 Taurus (8000 mi). Not nearly as harrowing as the first one; it actually went pretty smoothly and quickly (no problems getting the filter off this time). Still quite a challenge to install the filter in a spot thats barely visible (or accessible) and avoid second degree burns at the same time! Total time about 15-20 minutes this time.
    took my third long trip in my somewhat new (bought 5 months ago) 99 SHO.

I LOVE this car for trips. The smoothness and kickdown of the v8 motor are fabulous and the ride and steering are almost dead on for a long distance car. Lots of room and the seats are incredibly comfy.

I really loved my old 95 Thunderbird for trips and was skeptical about switching to FWD, but this Taurus is a wonderful long distance car. The Goodyear RS-a tires are grippy, good in the wet, and seems long lasting also.

Even without the SHO trim the Taurus is a very good road car.
    Last Monday (8/14) my 5 month old 2000 Taurus SES got run into by a Chevy S-10 pickup that didn't see a red light until too late. Took out the left front fender, wheel, and suspension ($3500+ damage). No one was hurt, just shaken up a lot. No side air bag deployment as the car moved sideways only a few inches. Currently have an insurance rental, a 1999 Taurus SE and really notice the difference between the models. It has the base V6 instead of the 24V DOHC -- besides the power difference, the shifting seems awkward and sometimes quite unexpected. I will be dealing with this for a couple more weeks as I am having to prod the other insurance company along to get anything done -- No insurance adjuster yet, though they have taken liability for the accident. Regardless of the delay in getting the adjuster there, the body shop is going to start ordering parts that are required for the repair. Could have gone through my own insurance and have them subrogate the claim to the other, but would have had to pay my deductible and wouldn't have a free rental to use. This way I don't pay a penny, but is taking longer and is more work on my part. Just want my 2000 Taurus back on the road.
  • slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    For you Taurus fans's, here is an interesting article in the Detroit News on the mid-size sedan market in the US.
    http://detnews.com/2000/autos/0008/22/b01-107409.htm
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    I have to agree with that article. As the owner of a 95 Ford Contour, I now feel left out by Ford for my next purchase. The Taurus is a nice car, but I am looking for something more along the lines/personality of my Contour. I like the Focus, but I want to move up the ladder without buying a traditional American family car. I figure at 25 I have plenty of years left to drive the family truckster. Why are the American companies abandoning this market? Hopefully Ford will bring back the next Mondeo in 2002 to the U.S. Later, Wes.
    for those left out of the lesser price midsize market, maybe consider a base Taurus. These can often be had new for as little as 16000 bucks, and at this price are larger and better made than say, a Malibu. A Malibu at 16 grand may have a couple more options though, but its a chevy which brings it down a notch.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Last August, we replaced a Ford with a 2000 PF SE.
    This week, we replaced our other Ford (93 Sable LS Wagon with 3.8L!) with a 2000 Accord EX6 - my wife preferred it over my choice the Maxima; but it's her car.

After driving two Fords over a period of some ten
    years, we have talked to and met a great many fine
    people across North America: AAA/CAA telephone
    operators, AAA/CAA emergency crews, Ford service
    managers, Ford mechanics and Ford customer service
    agents.

On twelve occasions in the last ten years, the
    fine people at Ford have even sent us special
    (recall) invitations to go and pay them a visit.

We will miss all those fine people ...
This discussion has been closed.