Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    You gotta pay $28.95 to guarantee the rotors replaced under warranty? Is that an insurance premium like the cost built into the price of Diehard batteries? They never last the 60, 72, or 84 month warranty. Now, they have a 100-month battery with a three-year full replacement that costs around $150.

When Penneys had an automotive department around 20 years ago, they sold a lifetime battery (full replacement, not pro-rata) for $120. Got three new batteries for my BMW before Penneys closed down that department.

Bottom-line: I don't see any reason for you to pay for a "guarantee." This is not an "extended warranty" item.
  • 99taurus99taurus Member Posts: 20
    I don't believe this would be true for my condition due to the fact the it is not a consistent problem. It comes and goes. Like I had motioned in an earlier review it seems to be present on hotter days after hearing a shifting noise form the front end. This is great for someone like shank6 who notices this every time he brakes. Mine however comes and goes and feels more like a bad ball joint or similar. It is not a bad vigorous shake either. Slower and softer than what you'd get from a warped rotor. As soon as it bothers me enough I will go back to the dealer. They did say that if the rotors were warped they were covered under warranty...... no mention of a "guarantee cost".
    I think I would fight that one.(shank6)
    For the nearly $30.00 I can get rotors turned really decent for under $10.00 a piece.
  • bubbie15bubbie15 Member Posts: 6
    The car is pretty good so far. I am happy with everything except the apparent quality of the leather seats. Maybe they need breaking in or some conditioning. Also, it seems that the front end is looser than it should be. When I hit a bump it feels a little shaky. That is the best I can describe it as it is probably not a problem, but a perception. I am used to foriegn made sedans and Ford Explorers. Anyhow, I don't recommend buying the blue ones. Albeit they are nice looking, they show scratches well.
  • dolphguydolphguy Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 99 Taurus SE and the windshield wipers will come on (maybe one swoosh, followed by another) without hitting the switch. I just traded in a Buick Regal with wiper problems, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with wiper problems again. Has anybody experienced this problem? I saw some postings in the National Safety site noting the same problem, but they didn't list details (no recall, yet).
    Also, my gas mileage is awful (20 mpg at best) and the fuel indicator is whacky! It jumps around and I can't tell how much gas I really have. I thought they mastered the fuel gauge when they mastered the first automobile? What's up with that?
    Dolphguy, I have not had any problems that you have mentioned. It sounds to me that someone may have had to do work on the dash / electrical system (accident, repairs, alarm/keyless entry install, ect) and messed up. The only compliant I would have with my 99Taurus SE is I can never keep the tank full. Even after visiting a gas station it seams after 11 miles or so it is already off the full line. Other that this, the gage seems fairly accurate. Yes I only get about 19-20 mpg on average but this is normal for a duratech engine. At best I get 25-26 mpg on a highway drive (70-85 mph). If you are still under the 36,000 miles I would have a dealer check these issues out, preferably the dealer you purchased the car from. Unfortunately you never know what when on before you purchased the car with it being used. Good luck.
  • 911dan911dan Member Posts: 9
    Where are you located? I'd LOVE to get 19 mpg from my Duratec! I just switched gasoline from Chevron to Shell, and the mileage dropped from 14.7 to 14.1 here in Los Angeles!!!!!
  • dreebdreeb Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new Taurus SES with the 24 valve engine. I am also quite jealous of the gas mileage you are quoting. I drive predominately on the interstate on my long commute (60 miles each way) and I am only getting 22.2 to 23.5 mpg. The car has less than 2000 miles on it. I have been using 87 octane gas from a local/regional chain. Is there something wrong with my vehicle? While I would expect some variation from the stated 28/20 mpg but not to this extent. As about 80% of my driving is on the interstate, should I be concerned.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    My 2000 SEL with the 24V Duratech engine now has close to 6,000 miles on it. The gas mileage did begin to improve at 5,000, and continues to do so. I now get an average of 20 to 21 with local driving, and 25 to 26 highway. Give it a few more thousand miles, dreeb, and see if you get the same results.
    911dan, I am in SLC area of Utah (5000 ft above sea level). I am able to use the 85 rating of octane (regular) fuel and obtain 19 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. I take trips to Idaho and get 25-26 mpg all highway driving. The fuel usually comes from Chevron or Costco. I'll admit some days I will use mid grade. Mostly regular. I did mention in a earlier post about a single instance of pinging with regular on a highway incline at around 100mph, so since then on full highway trips I use mid grade. It has not made my MPG change though. I am sorry you guys are having such bad mileage. If my mileage were only 14-15 range I'd have to get a second job, or sell the car. I usually favor toward driving my other car '93 Mazda MX-6 due to it getting better mileage and also being faster. If it matters to you guys my Taurus has 26,000 miles on it, 15" stock tires and wheels.
    To 911dan, I haven’t had my Taurus in the Southern Cali area, but my Mazda has been a couple times to Orange County and no noticeable mileage difference.
    One other thing to add. I did improve my mileage in my Mazda with a K&N "Fuel Injection Performance Kit". I can not find one for my Taurus, if any one has any ideas let me know.
  • bubbie15bubbie15 Member Posts: 6
    Bought my Taurus at the end of August. After a long bout with research (edmunds, renting, and the Taurus chat rooms) I check the sister car chat room (Sable) and find information about the recall associated with the 3.0L Duratec and the potential Backfire when starting the car. Since I purchased the car from the dealer in August, has the adjustment been made already? How do I find out? If so, have they remedied the associated performance degredation? I am happy with the performance, but don't really have anything to compare it to. Someone please give me some guidance here....Thanks
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    Hey dan, still only averaging 19 to 20 miles per gallon on the highway at 70 to 75 mph and am using 87 octane. Only about 16 to 17 when I jump on it. Seems like the same guy built these cars dolphguy. My gauge all over the place too. Sometimes it looks like I've got between a quarter tank and empty and the low fuel light comes on. My dealer to replace the rotors this Friday under warranty. Told him to can that $28.00 charge to " guarantee " them.
    OK..dealer said to put 92 octane in to see if that would help...mileage went from 14 to 12. Looked at Pontiacs & Chevrolets yesterday...but I still owe too much on my car...Happy Birthday to it this week (1 YEAR).
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    We have a 1988 Ford Taurus Wagon for 4.5 years, and just decided to drop it.

The car runs fine. It is a bit underpowered comparing with newer cars, even with 3.0l v-6, but this is not too bad for 13-year old technology. And both my wife and I like very much the rigid suspension: when cornering, it goes as on rails! No leaning or what.

But what kills it is bad maintainability. With so old car, a lot of gaskets and other rubber need to be replaced. Nothing so important. But, every second time, the labor cost are absolutely out of proportion.

The last straw was the heater. Recently it started to blow into the car some vapors, fogging the windshield. Additionally, the vapors turned to be not a clean water, but the engine coolant - not a nice thing to inhale.

As turned to be, this is just a leak to the heater core. The part itself is not expensive, only $46 + sale tax. But, to replace it, it is necessary to dismantle all the dash (instrumentation panel) and more. At least a $600 job (estimation). Unfortunately, it is too much for so old car.

For the same reason we did not repair the air condition, when it died two years ago. Just a leak of the freon, an old gasket. But to replace the unit by a remanufactured one would cost $1100 or so (estimation) - because half of the car had to be disassembled.

Our mechanic told us that this is the common problem with Taurus, both the older and newer models, and that the newer ones are even worse concerning the maintainability. For example, recently he estimated for one customer how much it would cost to replace the radiator. As it turned, cool $800, mostly labor...
  • hughiem38hughiem38 Member Posts: 9
    Its not just the Taurus, all the newer cars are just as bad. The A/C, heater and all is now in a compact unit under the dash and on the firewall so the unit has to be removed to do any maintenance. Also the new radiators are now made of plastic, so they can't be repaired, have to be replaced.On some of the front wheel drive cars, the motor mounts have to be unbolted and the engine pulled on its side to change the rear spark plugs. The alternators are mounted on the rear of the engine and you have to remove the strut and drive axle on some cars to get the alternator of and on.
    New cars are nice and I think its cheaper in the long run to just make car payments all your life and keep trading cars instead of making repairs,too expensive. (just a comment) Wait until you have an electronic problem turn into a nightmare. Now some cars have as many as 7 to 9 computers on them. I used to be a machanic but thank heavens I have retired.
    Thank you!

I still believe, though, this is a wrong design philosophy. Even if currently it is in vogue with all car corporations.

It is right to replace whole large blocks, not repair tiny details, and then to send the blocks to factory for re-manufacturing. But in this case the replacement must accounted for when the car is designed. E.g., if the dash must be removed for changing heater, the dash must be made to be easy pulled away. What about two bolts and a long cable (or bunch of wires) going to a single connector?
  • prestoneprestone Member Posts: 13
    Hey 99 Tarus, I see that you're just up the road from me here in the Provo/Orem area. I read in the owners manual of my 2000 Sable that this car requires regular fuel @ 87 octane.

I know that our "regular" here in Utah is 85 octane and I'm disappointed that I've had to bump up to mid-grade to obtain the minimum 87 octane level. Does your engine run ok on 85 octane? Will I experience pinging if I use "regular 85 octane" in my engine? Thanks in advance for your response.
  • chenjchenj Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I have a 93 Taurus. Last week after we drove for a while and stoped running, for example, waiting for the traffic light, the car body began to shake and gradually strongly, then the "check engine" light was on. We took the car to an auto shop but couldn't figure out the reason. Did anybody have such a problem before? What could cause this? I find the cranking of the engine is not easy, almost everytime, I need to start it two times.

Thanks a lot!

Jane
  • muestafa1muestafa1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All!
    I recently bought a 99 Taurus SE with 24,000 miles. The brakes squeal loudly when I stop and I was told by the dealer that this is due to the break pads being semi-metallic. Also my gas gauge isn't very accurate, when tank is full shows between 3/4th tank and full. Shows empty with 4.9 gallons left. I saw similar complaint in previous posts. Has anybody else experienced these problems and/or had them fixed??

Thanks,
    Neil
  • muestafa1muestafa1 Member Posts: 2
    Informed by dealer that my car had a faulty "fuel sender". The fuel sender tells the gas gauge how much fuel is in the car. Maybe this might help those who have posted about an erratic fuel gauge.
    You are correct it does say in the owners manual to use min of 87 octane and I believe it mentions not to use lower octane ratings for higher altitude areas. When I first glimpsed at the manual I read the "regular" and had used regular religiously due to high gas prices. I have had my 99 Taurus se w/ Duratech (24v 3.0) for nearly about 10 months. I have only experienced a slight pinging once on a highway stretch to Idaho going up Malad doing 100mph. After this instance I read into the owner’s manual again and found the comment about not using a lower rating of fuel to compensate for higher altitudes. I still use regular due to the higher altitude and have not had any other instances of pinging. It runs great on "Regular" 85 octane rating. I am not going to tell you to go against what the owner’s manual says, but maybe a call to the dealer to see if using regular is ok since we are in a higher altitude.
    Prestone, how do you like your Sable? What mileage are you experiencing in this area? What engine does your Sable have?
  • sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    Well, I used to love my '97 Taurus, but it is turning against me. It is giving me an odd transmission problem. When the car is cold (sitting for a while), the car does not want to shift into 2nd gear. It will start normally in first gear, but then when it should shift, the engine starts racing and I get no power. Ocassionally, it will attempt to shift, but usually it will slip several times on these few ocassions.

Tomorrow will be day 3 in the shop this week for the transmission problem. The mechanics can feel the problem, but since it only lasts for a few minutes they are having a really hard time diagnosing the problem.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    There are several 1996 Tauruses and Sables for sale as ex-taxi's in D/FW. I have picked out a 1996 Sable with 235K for $1500. If I can afford to pay cash for it, it should be a good car. The only problem I noticed during my extended test drive was afterwards when I put the car in reverse to change direction and the back to Drive to park it. IT went into reverse fine, but when I flipped it from R to D it knocked the whole car with a bang. The car was still and I had my foot on the brake. I tried it from Park to Drive while sitting still and it banged again. The car shifted well, down and up and all, but I worry that slamming into drive will hurt the car? Can it be fixed without removing the transmission from the car?
    Are you sure about this? I am a Ford/Taurus man but I would run from this deal as fast as I could. 235K? Taxi? It sounds like a broken motor/transmission mount. Before a purchase like this I would want to get a real professional mechanic to check this car out.
  • dolphguydolphguy Member Posts: 2
    You stated you had the fuel sender diagnosed as faulty. Have you had it replaced, and did it fix the problem? Please let me know. Thanks.
    Hey Taurus 99,

First, thanks for the reply concerning the octane level. Second, I'm enjoying the car (LS Premium Sable) quite a bit, especially the adjustable pedals and Mach sound system.

My car has the 24 valve Duratec engine and I feel it has very descent acceleration.

Taurus 99, as per your question concerning gas milage, I'm getting about 18 miles a gallon so far. I'm driving around town mostly. I've only taken it up to the Metro Salt Lake area(Sandy, Murray, etc) a couple of times in the 6 weeks I've had the car.

I'm hopeful that as the engine breaks in, my fuel economy will improve. So far, I have a little over 600 miles on it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the way it drives in town and on the freeway. It feels a lot more solid than my 98 Lumina LTZ ( a fairly descent car)and the price was about the same in spite of the many additional features the Merc has. Not bad at all.

Thanks again for the reply and I'll talk to you later. Have a great weekend.
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    Hi everyone
    Just wanted to throw my two cents in tonight. To occupant 1, I traded my 91 Acura Integra last year with 252,000 on it for our 99 Taurus SE and believe me it was a bone. I think your asking for trouble with that many miles. 99Taurus, I'm getting about 22 on the highway up here in NH using 87 octane, but only about 19 in the city. I sell gas for a living and we dont even have 85 octane in this part of the country. That seems awful low. To Prestone, we bought a 2000 Sable LS and dollar for dollar, you can't beat it. The car rides alot smoother compared to our Taurus, and with all the other benefits ( leather,moonroof, alloy wheels, ect. ) it came way in under Camry and Maxima similarlily equipped.
    Service manager will be taking my car for a few days to check the poor mileage for himself..I'm back UP TO 14 mpg. I bought a locking gas cap so he can't throw a few gallons in before he shows me HIS mileage.
    Hey Shank6, thanks for telling me about your 2000 Sable LS. I totally agree, the Sable is an excellent value. I have everything except the moonroof in my LS Premium.

Concerning 85 octane, I'm not sure why the octane level is low here in Utah. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the altitude (approx 4500ft) which we're at.

Glad to hear that you too are enjoying your 2000 Sable LS.
  • JeramieJeramie Member Posts: 7
    We had our car repaired for the backfire recall and since then it has to crank for an unusual amount of time before it finally starts. This usually happens when it has sat for awhile and is minimized if we turn the key to run the fuel pump for a few seconds before cranking. Has anyone else had this problem? It also smells like gas terribly after we start it. I've never had a car smell this bad, especially a brand new one. Any suggestions?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I see the weekend papers loaded with Ford dealership ads 1999 Taurus SEs and Sables GSs for about $11500 to $11999. They usually have about 30K miles and the most typical options plus power drivers seat, aluminum wheels and ABS. I prefer the 2000 models and I assume rental returns on 2000s should be coming out anytime now.
    I assume the 2000 body styles will probably go for a grand or so more even with the same mileage, but hopefully not. A 2000 Taurus with 30K miles for well under $13K should be a good buy. Otherwise I'll be satisfied with a 99 under $12K.

I know all about stories of people who abuse rental cars, but there are so many of these to choose from that I'm sure they all can't be bad. I doubt a Sable is the the type of car that atttracts the crazy drivers. They would mostly either be people renting sporty cars and SUVs or very young people who end up renting the cheapest economy rentals to save $8 a day.
    There are literally dozens of 99 Tauruses to choose from in my area and I'm sure I can pick one out that had minimal abuse.
    The new house will be within 10 miles of work, so I would hope a 99 Taurus ex-rental can handle a 20 mile round trip commute for 2-3 years.
    I plan to sell it and move on to another car before it reaches 60K miles. I just need to get 30K miles of trouble free service out of it before getting rid of it and getting another later model used car in 2003.
    Thoughts and opinions on 1999 and 2000 model rentals?
  • seldriverseldriver Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2000 SEL for two months, 1200 miles, and the airbag/PSS light is always blinking or steady on. Then today I get a letter from Ford stating that the powertrain control module needs recalibrated and it should take less than half a day. The vehicle also pulls to the left since new, and I'm getting wind noise from the rear passenger side door. Seems like a lot of little bugs for a new car.

This leads me to my question. I go to the dealer tomorrow and he has already estimated at least 24 hrs for the repair. I don't have the extended warranty, but if I did, that would include a loaner car. I think this is B.S. I wouldn't need to take the car in at all if it were right to start with. I'm there for warranty work, and I need a loaner car, I can't believe they are even hesitant. I've been told by the service writer he 'may be able to help with a loaner if it's a major deal'. What do you think?
  • seldriverseldriver Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2000 SEL for two months, 1200 miles, and the airbag/PSS light is always blinking or steady on. Then today I get a letter from Ford stating that the powertrain control module needs recalibrated and it should take less than half a day. The vehicle also pulls to the left since new, and I'm getting wind noise from the rear passenger side door. Seems like a lot of little bugs for a new car.

This leads me to my question. I go to the dealer tomorrow and he has already estimated at least 24 hrs for the repair. I don't have the extended warranty, but if I did, that would include a loaner car. I think this is B.S. I wouldn't need to take the car in at all if it were right to start with. I'm there for warranty work, and I need a loaner car, I can't believe they are even hesitant. I've been told by the service writer he 'may be able to help with a loaner if it's a major deal'. What do you think?
    Well, I drove the other two Sables he had and one Taurus. The Taurus had the same problem (at 225K) and was much filthier, but had new tires and an engine rebuilt at 190K. The two other Sables had miscellaneous problems, but none serious, little things like a whining power steering pump, broken seats, missing knobs, and the one speedometer didn't work (but the odometer registered miles???). P.S. all these are 3.0 pushrod engines, no flex fuel, no 24V, no 3.8's. The taxi mechanic says they do well except for transmissions, which he also says about the Chryslers. They run Concordes, Intrepids, and minivans.

The Aspire I bought will continue to do until the insurance guy tells me he can't insure it. Seems the company I am with will not insure any car that ever had a salvage title. This Aspire was a flood car (looks/drives/smells fine to me) so it may be uninsurable and I may have to sell it back to the dealer. I'm sure I'll get my money back (hiccup).

If none of these are available when I go back, I may simply buy one of the 96-97 Astro vans for sale for $2500 each. Those have 220-280K on them, too, but have rear drive and more reliable powertrains.
    I have seen 2000 Tauruses for sale NEW around $14,500 if you can deal with a basic LX or SE, no gadgets. A used white 2000 SE sedan with 21K at Budget's used car lot is $15,995, but should be cheaper. I don't understand why they think they can sell a used car for as much as a new one. I also saw one on Excite Classifieds for $13,800 in Arizona, but I don't remember the miles or anything.

I would think a 2000 model with under 30K should be $13K. That sounds like a good price. I won't be able to afford them for years now, but I do like the new model. When 2000 Tauruses are five years old they'll be for sale as taxis because the D/FW Airport doesn't allow cars older than 5 years or over 400K. That's why you see so many small cars (Kias, Elantras, Focuses)...because cabbies can't afford new $22K Crown Vics or $18K Tauruses (or Impalas, which I rode in in Chicago and make nice cabs).
  • tcengiatcengia Member Posts: 4
    Received the same recall as seldriver. This recall
    is Program # 00B55 and is to reprogram the PCM.
    In effect Ford didn't get it right on the previous reprogram, 00B38, and is attempting to correct it's mistake. The previous reprograming decreased MPG and acceleration. With the recall notice they also sent me a complementary Mag Lite for my inconvenience.
    In regards to seldriver's rear door wind noise, I had a similar problem with both rear door windows.
    After FORD replaced the window channel / gasket which go around the top and the sides of the windows, the noise decreased dramatically.
    Seldriver: I have had my Taurus in for a couple minor warrenty items (door trim, resurfaced rotors, lumbar support) and I have found if you make enough stink.... you'll get a loaner. From what I have herd, Ford is not required to provide loaner cars, but they do recommend dealers to provide them. I could have herd a lie, but I have had a loaner car 3 out of six times I have visited the dealer. Just a word or two, hope it helps.
    Prestone: Thanks for the reply, were you able to get a hold of a dealer to answer your question about running 85 octane?
  • newtaurusownernewtaurusowner Member Posts: 3
    I had the original PCM recall (campaign #00B38) done, and after reading tcengia's posting (#524)I called my local FORD delear, because I did not recieve a notice on the latest PCM recall (campaign #00B55). I was told that I won't get a recall notice because it is not a "safety recall". I want to have the recall done, but I should probably wait until I see if anyone has had a problem with the new recall?
  • JeramieJeramie Member Posts: 7
    Seldriver:
    My 2000 SES pulled to the right for several months. No matter what the alignment tech did, the pull didn't go away. I checked tire pressure and they were exactly the same. Just for the heck of it, I swapped the front wheels from side to side. The car has tracked straight as an arrow ever since. Go figure.
    That usually means you have a bad belt in one of your front tires. Have them check soon as possible.
  • fordman33fordman33 Member Posts: 32
    Question: Could someone explain what the PCM recall is and which trim levels/engines it applies to? Thanks
  • oxmeadoxmead Member Posts: 79
    We just got the oob55 notice. After having the other one done (oob38), I noticed a flat spot durring acceleration from about 30mph. It seemed that the car couldn't make up it's mind to shift or not. If you gave it too much gas , it took off like a rocket. I hope this latest version helps mileage also. To #529, I think it's the models with the duratec engines. Ours is a 2000 Sable LS premium wagon.
  • fordman33fordman33 Member Posts: 32
    That might explain it; I have the Vulcan engine and I haven't received any recall notices.
  • danielj3danielj3 Member Posts: 19
    I have a Sable SW LS Premium which I purchased
    some 5 months ago, and did not receive recall
    notices.

The car handles and shifts adequately. No problems
    so far. This is, however, a Ford, so knock on wood.
  • reesejreesej Member Posts: 23
    Just had my car in for service after just reading about the recall. The service printout stated that my car should get it done, so had it done. The recall and the MagLight were waiting in the mail for me when I got home afterwards.

The first recall dropped the acceleration performance and made it harder to start (hard cranking - sometimes multiple tries). After the second recall is now MUCH easier to start and has much better acceleration characteristics.

I was getting 22 mpg average after the first recall - not like some who were getting 15-17 mpg. Too soon to tell how much of an improvement I will see, but looks like I will se a little bit anyway by how the mileage is going up and the fuel gauge isn't dropping so fast.

If you get the recall, don't hesitate to get it scheduled and get it done!
  • newtaurusownernewtaurusowner Member Posts: 3
    I experienced a problem with my 2K Taurus on Saturday... my brake lights would not turn off. I pulled the fuse until it came time to take it in today. It turned out to be a sticking "brake light switch", they replaced it. I also had the dealer perform the "new" PCM Recall.

I just picked up my car and noticed an immediate difference in acceleration! MUCH BETTER. When I got home from the dealer, I had a "Ford Motor Company" Maglite flashlight waiting for me too!
  • ocdocd Member Posts: 7
    Well after two months of shopping I finally obtained the deal I found accetable. I traded in my 1999 Explorer for a 2001 SEL. My wife and I love the car. We have been tossing around a 2000 or a 2001 and opted for the 2001 and I was surprised that I was able to get almost the same deal on a 2001 than on a 2000. (different dealers of course!). Anyone else recently purchased a 2001 SEL? What have you intial experiences been?
    I look forward to any responses.
  • reesejreesej Member Posts: 23
    What a coincidence newtaurusowner, I just had my brake pedal position switch replaced a few weeks ago for the same reason! Something else for the Y2k+ Taurus owners to be aware of for possible future repair.
    I have the same parking brake light problem with my 88 Taurus, for the last two years. Never thought, though, that this happens often with new cars.
  • bigbangbigbang Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading many posts regarding the backfire "bug" and how to have it fixed. I found out a little too late and witnessed the results. Here is a link to a jpg photo which shows the aftermath. This was a nasty jolt to hear on a quiet Sunday morning!

http://www.geocities.com/bigbang9999/backfire.jpg
  • sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    Do yourself a favor, and pay for the extended warranty. I just found out what is wrong with my car's transmission. It is either the bore (or something like that) in the transmission valve was not machined correctly, or second gear is worn out. To get this fixed, I have to have 3/4 of the transmission torn down. I'm not too happy... :o(
This discussion has been closed.