Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    Joyce
    The fast idle is a normal occurance. I have a 2001 Taurus with the standard engine. The engine does fast idle from a cold start. However, the idle does drop after about 20 seconds or so. If your idle does not drop after a reasonable time, that is NOT normal. After you start in the morning, and after about 30 seconds, try shifting into nuetral and see what happens. Your idle speed should drop to about 600 to 700 rpms on your tachometer. The fast idle was probably designed as an emissions reguirement. The fast idle during a cold start helps heat up the engine and the catalytic converter to cut down on pollution.
    Bill K sends
  • naesseannaessean Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying a '92 Taurus L Wagon. The car has 62,000 miles, which seems low for a '92, but I checked car fax and everything seems to be in order from that end. My questions after reading these postings on the board are about the reliability and potential repairs for the car. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect from the head gasket, trans, A/C, etc. from this '92 with 62k? What about the possible costs associated with these kinds of repairs?
    I really appreciate it.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I just went to the Ford website and priced the Premium plan for 6 years 100,000 miles for a 99 Sable still under factory warranty with 27,000 miles. The price was $2345.00. That is more than double the price for companies like Warrantybynet and others that have $0 deductable plans compared to the $50 deductable for the ESP.
    Someone posted they only paid $1040 for a similar Ford ESP plan. For that price, I would buy the ESP plan and hope that the car does not need so many repairs that the $50 deductable becomes an issue.
    Are there any dealers that will offer a similar price without haggling?

Before anyone says it's worth $2345 because it is Ford and the third party warranty companies will go out of business and not pay claims, geautowarranty.com seems to have a good program (with $50 deductable) available for about half of the $2345 price of the Ford ESP and GE is not about to go out of business.
  • taurusmantaurusman Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 taurus GL wagon with about 193,000 miles on it. i bought it at 189,000 and have had no problems with it. I have heard a lotr of whining about Taurus' but I have had three of them and cannot wait to but the 2000+ model. To me they are better than accords or camrys,
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'm helping a friend buy a new Taurus-A SE with cd player and little else extra.There is a $1,500 rebate from Ford,so i was thinking or suggesting to dealer that he take another $1,500 off the list price.Is this too conservative?If the rebate is comming from Ford,should we expect the dealer to discountan,additional,say,12-15 per cent?Or is this expecting too much off?
    By the way,I just sold a 1993 Taurus I bought new and put 93,000 miles on-it was a great car for me.That's why I steered my friend towards one.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    #1 - Don't start with the list and go down. Start at the invoice and go up (This site has a spot where you can price out the exact car you are thinking about).

#2 - The rebate from Ford has nothing to do with the dealer pricing. That is Ford's money and you can take it off the top of the best deal you can make!
    Like the posted prices of the car's on the Ford site, that is MSRP. Also like the prices of the cars, that MSRP is also negotiable. See what kind of a deal you can make at various dealers.
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I had looked into buying a Taurus and the invoice price is around $1500 less than the MSRP. Then you can take another $1500 off for the rebate. You may want to shoot for a price around $3000 off MSRP give or take $200.

One of the dealerships I talked prices with was going to give me a price equaling $3000 off MSRP. You may do better!
  • georgeb6georgeb6 Member Posts: 6
    good luck with your Taurus. Fords are notorious for transmission problems. The engines however, are pretty good. I still would not consider buying a Ford over a Toyota or Honda strictly on the reliability factor. Over the last 15 years, at least, Toyotas and Hondas have been the best built vehicles. That is why their resale value is higher. Good luck with your Taurus.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    I had originally mentioned the hard starting problem on this board a few weeks ago. Since then, I asked my dealer's service advisor about it while in for an oil change a couple of Saturdays ago. They don't have engine diagnostic technicians in on the weekend, but he did tell me that with the warmer weather, the leftover supply of gasoline formulated for the winter may be causing the problem. Since then I've changed the brand of gas that I get, and haven't had a problem.
  • golden11golden11 Member Posts: 4
    Barjon, what type of gasoline did you switch to? I have tried turning the key to the "on" position and waiting a few seconds. This works sometimes, but not all the time. I'd like to find a permanent solution.
  • sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    Taurusman,

Glad your Taurus is treating you well. I remember when I got my '97, I fell in love with it. Four thousand dollars later (in one year of ownership), I look at it as more of an evil ex-wife. It is soul-less, and requires a monthly infusion of money (alimony.) :o)
  • taurusmantaurusman Member Posts: 5
    THere is no question that the early accords and camrys were and still are better cars than the Taurus. However I feel that they have improved in leaps and bounds from the early ones. THe styling change in 2000 made it a phenomenal car
  • taurus69taurus69 Member Posts: 5
    I owned an 87' Taurus from DEC 97 until DEC 2000 and I have to tell someone about what a terrific car it was. I bought it for a lousy 1200 dollars Canadian when I was sixteen at 270 000 km. I treated the car like a typical teenager, constantly peeling out and playing bumper tag with friends. Other then needing to replace the heater core, this high mileage car never needed repair, and survived the torture I put it through. I was forced to give it up when the tranny went but now I am in the market for a new Taurus. What kind of moron would opt for an Accord or Camary over a Taurus, especially when a Taurus is available with such beefy motors such as the 3.8. I would like to recommend a Taurus to anyone in
    the market for a mid sized sedan.
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Are 96-99 Taurus's good? I would like to get one but I heard the transmition (bad speller) is bad and they have some problems. They are really safe and have a nice ride. Over all how is the experience?
  • halsey1halsey1 Member Posts: 3
    I had an 89 Taurus that I drove until it had 148000 miles, with very few problems. I'm considering purchasing a newer Taurus, 98 or later. I've rented a 97 and a 98 in the last few years, and noted some items I did not care for: the speed control, especially on the 98, was very poor, allowing the speed to vary by up to 10MPH up or down from where it was set.
    Also, the power steering whined. I've heard this on other late model Fords as well.
    Are these 2 items common? What other pitfalls should I look for?
    Thank You
    Well, as a '97 GL owner, I'd recommend purchasing an extended warranty if you plan on buying a Taurus (any year.) Some people have zero problems, while others like myself have spent THOUSANDS to keep them running.

Personally, I wouldn't buy another Taurus, or any Ford, due to my recent experiences, the unbelievable number of recalls on recent cars, and the company's horrible treatment of it's customers. That's just me though. Buy whatever you like, and whatever makes you happy... but as a warning, if you get a Taurus, invest in a warranty.
    Problems to look for in a newer Taurus:

1.)Tie-rods (this is true of any Ford car ever produced)
    2.)Transmission
    3.)Rotors
    4.)AC (especially '97 when they converted to new system)
    5.)broken window clips (rattle and drive you crazy!)
    6.) Oil leaks (seals tend to go around 80K)
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    My 96 Sable LS has 100k+ on it. We have the 24V, DOHC 200hp engine. The total repair costs are a battery, A/C fan clutch, and the crank bearing. The total cost was around $700. It also needed struts (No shock here. They ALL wear out around 50-75k). The car has been and still is a dream to drive. The transmission has been just fine. Cruise holds a speed better than I can. Power steering, quite. If it is noisey it may be low on fluid. I flush mine about every 2 years. As for safety look at the Gov't crash test ratings. IIRC, 5 stars all around. This is my 4th Sable. We had an 86 (50k), an 88 (125k) a 91 (175k) and this 96. IMHO, these are GREAT cars!!!
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    And NO leaks.
    Do most Ford Taurus's have AS? I'm looking to buy a '98 Taurus within the next 2 weeks and I'm wondering if most of them have AS? Thanks
    I ment to say Anti-Lock-Brakes
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    It seems like several posts ago people were talking about a pinging noise in their cars. Did anyone ever come up with a solution as to what caused the pinging. I've got a GM but it has the same pinging.

I'd ask on the Grand Prix forum but that forum seems to have gone inactive. I also asked when I first got the car and never got an answer.

I'm sure it's the same problem. I thought it was probably because the car was new but I've had it for 2 months now and it has 1600 miles. It only pings when I turn off the engine.

Even though I'm asking on the wrong forum, I thought maybe somewhat would be nice enough to anwer.

iusecad - That's a smart move to hold off on buying a Taurus and saving your money for a house. Now that gas prices are going down, you're not putting out so much money on gas. I try to get 10 years out of a car myself.
  • larryn2larryn2 Member Posts: 18
    when i bought my 97 it was an option....larry
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    I hate to say it but my 99 Taurus SE has been horrible. The most recent disaster was a replacement of the front wheel bearings (with only 37,000 miles, mostly highway)when the car was at the dealer to have the SECOND set of rotors machined for warping. The car now has an exhaust leak which I have yet to address. (It cost me $400.00 for the bearings)

I think you can get good or bad in anything you buy, but Toyota and Honda have alot less problems per vehicle.(see Consumer Reports). It's just depressing when you lay out 19 or 20 thousand for a car these days and the quality is just not there.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    I had switched from Sunoco to Getty.

This past week I put 850 miles on the car while on vacation. I filled up with Mobil, Texaco, Amoco, and Sunoco. All week long the car started the first time, every time. We'll see how it goes when I get back into the normal routine.
    thanks
  • chzbrgchzbrg Member Posts: 10
    Just bought the ford st-6 changer for my 2000 ford taurus. i have pulled the carpet away from the drivers rear wheel well and noticed the radio tuner. What plugs into what can someone be more specific for the do it yourselfer. Got a great deal thru radiosandmore ($301) and free shipping.
    CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP
  • minnesotaartminnesotaart Member Posts: 52
    Do you have a bench seat in your car or buckets with a console? That will determine if you mount the changer in the trunk or in the console.

Also, the installation instructions with a crude picture are here:

http://www.radiosandmore.com/installs/fd02.pdf

The picture is crude, but at least you should get an idea of what to do. It really is just as easy as plugging it all in. The toughest part is mounting the unit. Also, mine came set up for vertical operation (sitting straight up and down like it would be in a console). If you are going to install it flat (like you would under the package shelf), be sure to change the little switch on the unit (it's more of a "slider" thing actually - don't remember for sure since it has been about a year since I put on in my daughter's car).

I have buckets with a center console and shifter!
  • g1994stsg1994sts Member Posts: 26
    I'm a little disappointed ford's excellent v6 is too sensitive to engine knock on recommended 87 octane. The manual clearly says not to use premium, because It may actually degrade performance and one may experience Irregularities. It says right on the manual, can you believe this?

On level ground It may not happen at all, but some times It does a little. (any brand name gas). Where it happens a lot is uphill, especially on a long upgrade of about 9 degrees. Again depending on the gas, exxon, mobil, shell, etc. sometimes it could knock really bad. I have observed all late model taurus behave this way, usually passing by when driving along. I'm really annoyed and upset with this. because I think Ford doesn't have the technology to make an engine that is 100% knock resistant on 87 octane.

For example my other car a 1994 seville STS, the recommended octane is premium only, 91 octane or better. Well lately with increasing gas prices I have been mixing premium with regular, at one point I had about 2/3 regular & 1/3 premium, and it runs just the same as on premium only, with no noticeable degrade in performance or knocking.

Other than that the power is tremendous, very comfortable, the ergernomics are just right, I can power slide the seat on the track to be distant from the steering wheel. I can't do that with the cadillac. The seat stops too short, forcing me drive with the steering wheel geezer style.

I have been using the middle grade and kocking is almost non existant and especially on premium, this car feels like a v8 beast.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    I think that you will need to get a different "insides" for your console. The inside of my console on my 2000 SEL has a special section where the ST-6 changer fits just right and it has a separate section for storage right next to it (vs. what I am guessing you have which is just one big open area). This separate section holds an extra 6 disc cartridge just fine with a little bit of room left over. Have fun running the cable from the changer back to the trunk though. I hope they sold you one long enough!

By the way, extra 6 disc cartridges for the ST-6 are about $75 at Ford. I got a bunch at Best Buy for $12.50 each. The one that fits is an AIWA model # MCD-MG55. It's a duplicate of the factory unit except it says AIWA instead of Ford!

Good luck.
    Thanks for your help!!!! Really appreciate it!
  • millerfieldmillerfield Member Posts: 2
    I have a clean, loaded 94 Taurus wagon with the 3.8L engine and 95,000 miles on it. It just blew a head gasket. We followed the maintenance guidelines and have the records. We are the original owners. Does anyone have advice on getting Ford to cover the repair?
  • dijidsdijids Member Posts: 2
    The timing looks right for a new Taurus and I'm eligible for x-plan pricing which is 4% over Ford Employees a-plan price. Don't know if I'm better off trying to negotiate or just asking for the x-plan price since I can't find any lists of what the price will actually be. Anyone experienced using x-plan pricing or know where I can get detailed lists of a-plan pricing?
    The warranty expired long ago. They are not going to cover it. In fact even if you had got an 100,000 exteneded warranty, you would have just made it assuming they would cover worn out gaskets. But then the head gasket probably would not have blown util 101,000 miles if you had bought the warranty.
    Maybe if had blown 1 day after the factory warranty expired, Ford might have "thought about" covering it as a goodwill gesture.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Ford Partner Program......(need some help)
    in the Smart Shopper section of Town Hall might help you out...
  • taurus2000seltaurus2000sel Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know if for a 2000 se 24v, what the brake lamp switch recall 01s08 is about? My ABS dash lite sometimes stays on after startup, seems more likely in the afternoon after work sitting in the sun. Any relationship? The braking seems to work fine, always has been a bit soft for my taste. Thanks for any input on this.
    Here is exact language from the recall:

Grease used on the adjustable pedal assembly may enter the brake lamp switch and contaminate the contacts. This may cause one or more of the following symptoms to occur:
    - brake lights stay illuminated or are inoperative
    - shift interlock disabled (will be able to shift out of "PARK" position without depressing the brakes)
    - speed control will not activate
    - cannot shift the vehicle out of "PARK"
    - ABS warning light illuminates (on vehicles with ABS)
    - battery discharged
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    See the following link for a summary of Ford's "secret warranty" (Service Campaign 00M09). Apparently this covers up to 7years/100,000 miles, so you better get things documented and cracking before the time runs out.

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/FORD-3.8L.htm

• millerfieldmillerfield Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who helped. I also found info on the 7 yr/100,000 mile coverage on the www.consumeraffairs.com site. The dealer who originally sold us the car (and who continues to do business with the extended family) has been very responsive. Maybe Ford is finally trying to change its reputation.
    I hope you guys have better luck than me. Last week the door ajar symbol on the dash came on, and stayed on all day. Took the dome light bulb out ( fried my finger ) and it went off the next day and hasn't come back since. Two days after that, the service engine soon light comes on. I did all the recommended things in the manual(added some dry gas, filled the tank, made sure the gas cap was on tight)and it stayed on for the day, never to return after the next days start up.

Now, I just jumped in the car to grab the paper and coffee,put it in reverse and it just about made it out of the driveway. At Dunkin Donuts there are two Tauruses in the parking lot. A 97 purchased used and a 99 purchased new. Both owners state no problems of any sort like the ones I've had. I guess I'm just lucky.
  • taurus2000seltaurus2000sel Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Minnesota Art for the detailed info on the grease on the adjustable pedals problem.

So, shank6 fixed his service light I/ gas fill, but I have a nearly full tank and checking the gas cap, it doesn't seem to fit so tight as to prevent air from passing by the threads when turned fully in, so what else could be causing emission light on at 9000 miles? Perhaps it is related to the greasy ad. pedal problem also?

Will be taking the car in Monday, I hope if the dealer is not too busy, and see what happens, besides wasting my time. I have been enjoying the car, but gas mileage goes under 20 when averaging 70 plus a few quick accelerations instead of gingerly doing 65. I get 25mpg if taking it real easy or with the wind at my back.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I just installed a CD changer in my 2000 SE. I bought the parts from www.crutchfield.com.

Kenwood KDC-C717 10 disc changer $200
    PIE FRDR/PC-KNW protocol adapter $80

It all worked great and was very easy to install. The adapter comes with all the connectors/cables needed and just plugged into the Rear Control Unit in the trunk. They don't tell you, but I had to remove the factory cable from the right-most connector of the RCU. The factory head unit controls the changer perfectly.

I mounted the changer vertically, on the left side of the trunk. I didn't want it below the rear deck because it blocks access for large objects and is potentially in harms way.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    I own a '99 BMW 528 and a '01 Honda Odyssey, but received a '01 Taurus SES as a company car about 4 months ago.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Taurus drives and handles, and especially by the excellent gas mileage, averaging 20 mpg.

It has the base V6, which is adequate, if a little noisy, I can only imagine that the upgraded V6 would be very satisfactory.

Considering the size, handling and price, I would definitely consider a Taurus should I need to purchase another family sedan. Even my neighbor, who's on his third Accord, remarked that he was more comfortable sitting in the Taurus, and was even more impressed by the relativiley low price compared to his V6 Accord..

While depreciation and long-term quality are legitimate issues, the low cost of entry and great driveability of the Taurus makes it a worthy competitior, IMO.
    We purchased a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium, and I can't say enough good about our choice. As stated in my previous posts, the car is fully equipped and the ride quality is so much better. I know they're built on the same platform, but the Merc is a better handling, quieter riding,and better looking car in my opinion. If I can get the right deal in September I'll probably go that route.
    I believe in Ford. Maybe we got the Taurus Alfred E. Neumann built.
    The Taurus drives quite nicely. The resale value is the biggest problem.
    It will be dificult to sell at a decent price when the classifieds are full of dozens of 1 and 2 year old fleet cars and prior-rentals at very low prices.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    have the Vulcan. Those equipped with a Duratec oughta hold their value pretty well. Shouldn't they?

(does anyone say oughta anymore?)
    The Duratec and extra options will add to the value. You will be able to sell for more than a fleet car, but not that much more. The resale value will be horrific no mater what.
    Remember the old days when people bought cars and took care of them and drove them for years and years???

No wonder everyone is in debt all the time.... we keep our cars a long time (6-8 years) and so we buy what we want and take care of it and it takes care of us.

Who cares about resale value!
This discussion has been closed.