Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S70

Comments

• cparker898cparker898 Member Posts: 9
    My 2000 S70 GLTSE thus far has been great. One hitch..... has anyone had any problems with their trunk not popping open the first time you hit the button on the remote? I have to sometimes hit it 2 or 3 times for it to work. Other than that, the car is great.

Thanks for the info stick guy.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    requires two clicks, in short burst, to open with the remote. When I had an S70 I learned to count it out (1-2-3) as "click-2-click".
  • rg67rg67 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All. I'm reading thru all the messages posted for the S70. Pretty impressed on all the variety of info i could find. I need to make a decision this week. I have mostly seen complaints on turn lights, sockets, bulbs, rattles.
    1.my question is are all these ultimately fixable.
    2.can someone suggest a good dealer in houston, Tx. good interms of attitude and aftersales service.
    3.I'm planning to go for a black 2000SE with sunroof. is black a bad choice ?How does the AC work for the hot conditions outhere?
    4.is 28700 plus tax a good price?

I have seen lot of valuable postings by DPARES. Could U give me the name of your dealer in NJ.
    Would appreciate some advise from folks who have owned the 2000 S70 SE down in Texas
    thanks a lot
  • sxmishrasxmishra Member Posts: 3
    To cparker898, re. 2000 S70 GLT SE

Looks like you got a swell deal! Who is your dealer, and where is he located?

[[Well, I finally purchased my S70. A 2000 GLT SE with 6000 miles on it (dealer demo) I picked it up for $25,500. Opinions on deal? I was quite happy with the price. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no burned out bulbs!]]
    My dealer is Betton Imports in Grand Rapids, MI....Seem to be very easy to deal with. Best of luck sxmishra!
  • n8aten8ate Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. Looks like we are all having similar problems with our '98 Volvo's

I'm here in Kansas City. Most of what I do is highway driving with the exception of the weekends when I put 400+ miles each weekend on my Volvo (notice I don't say car, there IS a difference between the two). I'm 25 & I've had 3 Volvo's ('85 240DL, '98 S70, '98S70 T-5). I must say that my T-5 is the most fun of the 3 I've owned. However, the bulb replacements have been irritating. I currently have 2 bulbs out & I just changed them BOTH last month. A friend of mine, who I convinced to purchase a Volvo because it'd be the last car she'd have to own, is trading hers in after only a year of ownership. Why you may ask would she want to do such a odd thing? Too many "little" things have gone wrong with her Volvo. I noticed that there is a recall going out on these issues... I hope they do get fixed. Aside from the bulbs constantly going out I had to have both rear leather door panels replaced because they had bubbled out. Once those were replaced, I didn't have any other problems. I am also on my 3rd set of tires. I only have 44K in miles on my car & shouldn't be having this many little problems.

Whereas I know that the engine will last forever I/out a second thought, I'm worried that the car is going to nickel & dime me to death once the warranty is up (in -minus 5000 miles). Maybe I shouldn't have upgraded my 240DL 3 years ago.

PS. if you see a white Volvo with hand cuffs hauling a wave runner doing about 120 miles an hour coming up behind you. That's me.

N8
  • n8aten8ate Member Posts: 2
    I have been thinking of an add for Volvo.

Have myself & a passenger in my S70 T-5 towing our wave runner. Flash to the traffic doing 50 mph. Flash back to me flooring it. Watch as my Volvo rockets forward shooting past everyone else at 80mph. Ahhh, the perfect car.

This is why I still LOVE my Volvo. I still pat her dash after she races other "sports cars" (Mustangs & the like). After almost 3 years, I still LOVE her.

N8
  • sue46sue46 Member Posts: 1
    From almost the time I purchased this luxury sedan it has been nothing but a pain. Starting with the headlights and taillights(which still are a problem) the list goes on.... 2 new batteries, new radio, leather pulling away from all interior doors,strut plates replaced, low oil light not coming on when the car was dangerously low on oil(this car has been serviced faithfully every 5K miles by the way)a coupling devise was added to aleve this problem,a nipple was installed on the inter cooler and a flame trap line was replaced to fix the oil leak(this car has leaked oil since 10/99 I will get to the other remedies for this problem),key spinning 360 degrees in ignition.. the steering lock had to be replaced, engine knocking... replaced turbot return -ring, door lock on passenger side failed to operate door lock replaced,driver window scraped when lowered or raised regulator block and window guide had to be replaced, another time when the engine was making a squealing noise the top engine mount had to be replaced, another visit another oil leak fixed by replacing -ring tube at turboletorn line, winshield washer went out washer valve was replaced, gear shift light out. I was to pick my Volvo up today after the repair of an 8 inch hole in the intracooler...but as luck would have it when the technician took it for a test drive there was a loud knocking noise coming from the engine and they need to diagnose the problem. I personally have had it with this car and would never dream of buying another Volvo
  • dsaperdsaper Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever had problems with the anti-lock brakes activating even when the roads are dry and it's the middle of the summer?
  • pugsleypiepugsleypie Member Posts: 2
    I too have had the same light bulb and door lock problems with my 2000 S-70. Also I have cloth seats. Even plain water stains them badly. I took the car to a detailer to have them cleaned and was told this was a common problem with the 2000 S-70. Anyone else have this problem?
  • xianexiane Member Posts: 4
    I've been researching and driving and my choice seems to come down to this. A 99 S70T5 with about 30k miles certified for 2/24k more for about 25k (black, almost all possible features) or a 99 S70 AWD also black with about 10k miles for $27ish and possibly an extended warranty. This is a dealer loaner and is loaded too. Any thoughts from volvo-ers out there, especially owners of these cars. I'm aware of the trouble with the 98s, but haven't seen much on the 99s, and the 98s trouble (if it is in the 99s) seems to follow the same themes, and can be corrected.
    I had a 1999 Base S70 loaner. It seemed OK until I started to have repeated problems with it not starting. After three times, and two tows, and dealer NOT being able to find the problem, I traded the S70 just to get away from it. I have ridden with people who have had service loaners, and they (sometimes) treat them badly. Loaners start at 0 miles, and are used during the engine break in period. My S70 was the first and last used car I will buy. Although it gave me a lot of grins during the year and a half I owned it, and I will remember it fondly---when it was actually running--, it is "crude" by today's standards. The new series S60, V70, and S80 are a quantum leap beyond the pre-2001 models, and models from many other manufacturers including acura, toyota, VW are much quieter, smoother, more pleasurable to drive, some more fun to drive, BUT most of all deliver what you expect for the money you pay. With the S70, you have to give up a lot for safety. My final impression of Volvos are that they still have a long way to go to be world class. They have durability, longevity (if you keep replacing parts), but are not reliable, either by individual system (lights, interior components) or in total. I got some diagnosis of the problems I had with my S70 on Brickboard, and it is known as the "lawnmower syndrome". You can see the details on Brickboard by either looking for my notes requesting help, or searching for this topic. Bottom line is it only happens on some cars, is hard to diagnose, and you can't always predict when it will happen. Personally, I think that however much or little you pay for a car, you should expect that one of the features is reliability...it should start when you turn the key 100% of the time, unless you haven't maintained the car properly.
  • dgohmanndgohmann Member Posts: 1
    I have read through all the posts, and it seems as though the S70 is really bad car. not true. You must keep in mind that all of the prowd S70 owners are out driving their cars, not discussing the problems they are having on some message board, because they don't have any problems. I own a 1998 S70 T5 M and have been 100% happy with it so far. I have just over 50,000 on it. With exception of the light bulb problem (which ws fixed) and leaking oil return from turbo(pretty common) nothing has gone wrong with it. So keep that in mind when you are looking at any car, do more research than just the message boards.
  • foolcatfoolcat Member Posts: 10
    Very interesting and informative posts on the S70. I am considering a 98GLT. Too bad there is no 5 speed. The T-5 is too pricey for my budget. The car reviews I have read all talk about the stiff, jittery ride and road noise which a number of you have confirmed. However, Volvo has the reputation for the best seats in the business but no one mentioned them. I would be willing to give up some comfort for more fun to drive handling ability but I was wondering how much Volvo really has in the sports sedan handling department. I will try and test drive one this weekend. The cars I am considering in addition to Volvo are:
    98 Infiniti I30t (auto, 5 speeds are very rare)
    98/99 Maxima SE (auto or 5 speed)
    98/99 VW Passat (5 speed only)

I can't for the life of me figure out why American car manufacturers will not produce a lightweight (3000-3200 lb curbweight like cars above) 4 door sedan with a manual transmission.
    There are alot of baby boomers like me with kids who don't want a truck but a nice 4 door sedan that is fun to drive. BTW, I don't consider the overweight upside down rowboat styled 300M that has the profile of a land yacht to be in the running. Same goes for the even heavier Lincoln LS.

GM continues to lose market share, Chrysler is in trouble with their huge cars nobody wants and Ford 4 door cars are less than appealing. If it wasn't for trucks and their huge profit margins The "big three" would be in serious trouble.
  • hgolightly13hgolightly13 Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 s70 with 40,000 is making a hollow "ping-ing" noise when I come to a complete stop. It is on the driver's side and usually comes in sets of 3 pings. Has anyone ever experienced this?!
  • mfmack1mfmack1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems w/ the front seat belts getting closed in the door jams? When I picked up my new S70 GLT SE, the dealership had just taken it to get an inspection sticker, when the car returned, the doorjam light was damaged because the door was closed w/ the seat belt in it. The dealership originally tried to blame the damage on me being careless w/ the seat belt, but reluctantly agree to fix the broken door lamp, after i informed that i had not even used the passenger door. I have since had some regular scheduled maintainence done on the car and noticed a slight tear in the drivers side door leather,(probably one of the mechanics closed the door w/ the seat buckle in it.) which I'm sure happened at the dealership, and I'm quite sure i'll once again be blamed for my "carelessness" has anyone had similar problems with the seatbelt sliding into the door jams? After the dealership informed me of this happening i've been ever vigilant about checking the doors before i close them, any suggestions on how to go about getting the rippeed leather repaired? Thanks....
  • golfnuttbgolfnuttb Member Posts: 8
    I looked at a 98 S70 t-5 w/ 59k asking price from dealer is $24,500. car is very clean. after reading all this remarks about the car I'm a little wary.
    Also, test drove a C70 w/ 30k asking $31,500. This is really a sharp looking car but both salesmen said it is identical to the T-5. This is very disheartening. I really had thought I was ready to buy my 1st Volvo. Now I'm not so sure.
    Please advise!!!!!!
  • mfmack1mfmack1 Member Posts: 2
    Don't be disillusioned by all the comments on the S70, It is a great car.all cars will have some 'kinks' that need to be worked out. I am surprised at the price your dealer is giving you.I am a 1st time owner of the S70 GLT SE, and plan on upgrading to the XC AWD in 2-3 years. Just as an FYI, I picked my S70 fo $31,325. w/ 14 miles on it. See if you can work your dealer for a lower price b/4 you buy....
  • naganomonaganomo Member Posts: 4
    I'm a first-time Volvo owner. Yesterday, I purchased a 1998 S70 (Base) from Carmax. It has 16,000 miles on it. The price was $20,998 before taxes. Despite being a base model (no turbo) it has all of the options, including sunroof, leather, power seats (driver and passenger), CD, automatic, and climate control A/C. Because of the low miles, the car looks, drives and smells brand new. After reading these posts, now I'm concerned about the "bulb" problem. It seems, though, that most of the people experiencing this situation have the T5 or the GLT, but I could be wrong. I called Volvo customer service and learned that the car has not yet been taken in for the bulb recall. I also learned from one of my calls to all of the local dealers that Carmax had brought the car in to replace the "bubbling" door panels, under warranty. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope I'm among the luck ones.
  • volvoscottvolvoscott Member Posts: 26
    Naganomo,

There are several things you need to know about the bulbs. First, it doesn't matter what model you have, all of the S/V/C 70 series cars have minor bulb problems. The rapid flashing turn signal was caused by a bad design front turn signal bulb and socket assembly. Volvo has just recently issued Recall 101, which will replace these units with a different style bulb and socket assembly. The headlight bulbs don't last as long because they are on all the time. I would recommend buying 2 extra headlight bulbs and put them in your glovebox, and learn how to change them yourself. When you have a brake light bulb burn out, go ahead and save yourself some hassle by replacing all 3. Same with the parking light bulbs, replace all 4. Bulbs are a minor inconvenience that 70 series owners must deal with. Also, on your door panels. The new panels are made with a different glue and the problem with them bubbling up is not likely to re-occur. The S70 is a very nice car, hope you enjoy it!!

Scott
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Has anyone had this problem?:
    Wiper blade rubber that refuses to last more than a few months on their S70? This was the case on my friends 1998 S70 and his new 2000 S70. After only a few months of new refills the wipers smear in the rain and the refills need to be replaced. I have never had this problem on any car I have had as I could keep my blade rubber for up to two years.
    Even cleaning them doesn't always help.
    Really bizarre. It's almost as if there is something about the car kills the rubber. Is it possible that the Asian restaurants in the area where he parks every day emit some rubber destroying agent???
  • nszabonszabo Member Posts: 19
    Why are some of you people thinking about upgrading your suspension,your crazy! your volvo isn't even worth it.I don't want people to have the same problems I experienced with volvo,if you want to see the problems I have had with volvos go to volvo S80 reliability.I would recommend an
    audi A4 or A6.
  • tathackertathacker Member Posts: 1
    Golfnutt,

I hear your concerns about the few people who have "bad-mouthed" their S70. Proportionately, I think every Volvo owner will agree these are a minute few and you cannot go wrong with your purchase of the S70 T5 - unless you pay the dealer's asking price ;-) I have been a long time Volvo fan and own my own S70 5sp and absolutely love it. Very reliable and the ergonomics are also worth mentioning. It's almost as if the car were built around me (I'm a smaller guy.) Safety and engineering are the primary reasons for my purchase, and worth every penny it costs to maintain my baby, and yes, Volvo parts are very expensive, but well worth it!
  • naganomonaganomo Member Posts: 4
    Scott,

Thanks for the heads-up. So far, I love the car. I'll stock up on bulbs.
  • kjc3kjc3 Member Posts: 2
    I have read the messages about the problems and highlights of the S70. Our 1998 Volvo S70 GLT has been one of the Volvos that have had minor and now major problems. We purchased our car under the loner program with 6,200 miles February 1998. Since that time we have had the following items replaced:

3/98 - Replaced faulty master window switch
    5/98 - Replaced trunk light switch
    7/98 - Preformed recall 83 for A/I compressor
    7/98 - Preformed recall 83C for MA Wiring Harness
    7/98 - Replaced I ring in key less remote trunk button
    12/98 - Replaced bulb sensor relay due to bulb warning light continuously staying on
    10/99 - Perform Air bag recall
    10/99 - Perform Headlight switch recall
    10/99 - Replaced windshield washer check valves
    12/99 - Replaced front brakes 29,000 miles
    1/00 - Squeaking noise from dash area - Removed the lower knee bolsters. Tightened the loose knee bolster bolts.
    6/00 - Replaced sway bar links
    7/00 - Replaced AS Control Unit
    11/00 - Replaced rear brakes - 48,000
    11/00 - Replaced drivers side vanity mirror
    11/00 - Replaced light switch
    1/01 - Glove box squeaking. Lube hinges & latches
    1/01 - Replaced fog light socket, bulb holder and electrical terminals
    1/01 - Recall 101 - replaced signal light bulbs and sockets

I won't spend time on the number of bulbs that have had to be replaced.

In February we went over 50,000 and that ended our Volvo warranty. This past Saturday we were driving approximately 30-35mph and all of a sudden the engine starts racing as if the car is in neutral. We were able to pull in a parking lot and turn off the engine. When we went to re start the car the check engine light came on, the transmission upshift arrow on the dash began blinking and the winter and sport mode buttons started blinking. The car started and ran in Winter mode only regardless of whether the car was in low gear or drive gear. Top speed was 20-25 mph. The car was towed to the Volvo dealer who called me and advised that I needed a new transmission. I was quoted $2875 to replace our current transmission with a remanufacture Volvo transmission. The dealer advised that since the car had 52,000 miles it would not be covered under warranty and that Volvo makes no exceptions. When I called Volvo North America they called the dealer who reiterated that this was my problem. My wife had complained to the dealership on prior occasions about the shift arrow light coming on but they discounted it advising her she must be accidently hitting the winter mode by the shift lever.

Has anyone run into this problem? Do I really need a new transmission? We lived with the other issues listed above since our focus was a safe car for my wife and child.

Any help regarding the transmission problem would be greatly appreciated.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I think that you have a legitimate beef, but the first response is to (almost) always deny the claim. However, some people who make it a crusade eventually get the problem all or partially paid for.

In this case, I hope you have it in writing (in the service records) that you complained about the light coming on, which you now know means there is a problem. if you do, then you should be able to argue that this was a preexisting condition that you brought to the attention of the dealer, even though they didn't seem inclined to discover the true source of the problem.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• boatman7boatman7 Member Posts: 7
    Well now I don't know what to do. I was thinking about buying a 2000 S70 (with auto trans) but with all this business with bulbs, squeaks and other gremlins plus a new 5 speed auto....Should I? I'd be purchasing used with 15-18k miles and still paying alot of dough. I looked/tried out a S40 but to small (but sweet) and the 70 is just about right (S60 is small and too pricey) So guys and gals, should I or shouldn't I? Thanks for any help...boatman7...PS my second pick is a 2001 Maxima SE for about the same amount of money....
  • kjc3kjc3 Member Posts: 2
    Stickguy thanks for the advice. After a number of discussions with the dealership today they (the dealership and Volvo), agreed to cover approximately half of the repair cost. Gung Ho!

To Boatman 7. In addition to the 1998 Volvo S70 GLT we also own a 1993 Nissan Maxima SE with 112,000 miles. Our Maxima has been very reliable. My opinion is if your priority is reliability and performance, assuming the S70 your looking at has the base 168hp engine, go with the Maxima. If yourlooking for safety and comfort (Seats) buy the Volvo and see if the dealership will throw in an extended warranty.
  • amazonamazon Member Posts: 293
    I bought a Y2K S70 with 5sp. auto. Love everything about it. No problem with squeeks or bulbs. I would recommend one.
  • golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    I am considering the '01 Acura 3.2TL, Toyota Avalon (wife wants it) and a 2000 S70. I have found three dealerships within 250 miles of NW Arkansas that have a total of about 30 new S70's still on their lots. From initial negotiations they will deal. I can probably pick up a GLT SE pretty loaded with a MSRP of $36.5K for $30K or less. Sounds like the need to clear their lots. Anyone have any similar experience or recommendations? I really want the Volvo but the Acura sure is nice and I have negotiated a dealer down to $26.5 on one. Is the S70 worth about $3,500 more?
    I owned an S70 (1999 Base) for 18 months. As I've said in previous posts, the car had many fine points, and I will remember it as one of the more interesting and endearing cars I've owned. BUT, it was not reliable, and I consider it crude by today's standards. The S60/V70/S80 are much closer to what people want today. My S70 left me stranded three times, two required tows, one was on this past christmas eve, and there were no rental cars to be found. I had to borrow a friends car. Although I think the dealership was one of the best I've ever been to, they could not identify the problem. I now own a 2001 Toyota Avalon, and, with the exception of the seat comfort (Volvo is unsurpassed) the car is leagues above the S70 in quiet and comfort. Yes it is boring, but requires little muss and fuss, and will be reliable. I also considered the Acura, which I liked very much, and actually ranked above the Avalon, but because you can't get the acura without the sunroof, it was a confining feeling compared to the Volvo and the Avalon. The Infiniti I30 is also an excellent choice, but dealers are few and far between. I have read that the VW Passat has been average or above reliability, and has much of the euro character people seek. The Avalon, by the way, is safe. If safety is your only concern, buy a Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis. As much as I loved my Volvo, I am very glad I got rid of it. After it left me stranded three times, I always had this lingering feeling whenever I got into it as to whether or not it would start. When I went on vacations (twice last year, each two weeks) I rented a car, one a Ford Explorer (new) and one a Grand Marquis (500 miles). Both were superb cars. I won't go back until I start reading that Volvos are at least as reliable as other euro cars, and approaching the reliability of japanese cars. If you do buy the volvo, get the extended warranty...you'll need it. AND, be prepared to be inconvenienced on a regular basis.
  • jzaubermanjzauberman Member Posts: 10
    I had a 1998 S70 GLT on lease for 3 yrs. In 45,000 miles I did not have any major problems and my cash outlay for maintenance was minimal. I have also had two Maximas, an /89 GXE and a /93 SE -- the best cars I have ever owned in terms of reliability, fit, finish and integrity (read, no squeaks, rattles or other funny noises). The Maximas were both run to in excess of 100,000 miles and were unbelievably reliable. My father also has a /93 GXE with 125,000 miles -- never a problem! I had (and still have) a love/hate relationship with the Volvo. The S70 had much going for it -- incredibly quick, best seats in the business, great brakes and nice handling. Unfortunately, it also had some annoyances hard to forgive in a $30,000+ car -- numerous squeaks and rattles, as Car & Driver said, a Bush (the first one, not W.) era suspension with a pretty punishing ride over lesser quality roads, and other minor mechanical problems including a/c that went out twice, an ignition switch that had to be replaced, the front sway bar bolts breaking, and a couple of others that I now cannot recall. In fairness to Volvo and the dealer, they cheerfully took care of all mechanical ills (however, they never could trace and eliminate the rattles and squeaks which to tell you the truth were the things that bothered me the most). If you want reliability and very few visits to your friendly dealer, go with the Maxima. You won't be sorry. I am hoping that the S60 is an improvement over the S70 since I need to replace my wife's car that is coming off lease in early May. I have driven about 4 examples of the S60 - 3 were tight and solid with no rattles, but the 4th (which the dealer gave me for a weekend) had some. I'll likely lease one, but I will be sure to insist that before I take delivery and sign on the line, I give the car a through drive over the bumpies to make sure there are no rattles and squeaks from the get-go. I have driven the /01 Maxima SE and I could be very happy with one. The only reason I'm considering the Volvo is that we already have one mid-size Japanese car, a 2000 Acura 3.2TL, and we're looking for something a little different. Good luck with your decision.
  • boatman7boatman7 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for everyone's help in my decision (used S70 vs 01 Max). I located a 99 S70 base/auto/loaded with all options, 24k miles, silver/graphite leather. It's a clean auction off lease for $23K (not a Volvo dealer)I drove it a few times (20 miles) and it was rather nice but boring. (loved those heated seats) It was slow off the line and it didn't like 'country roads' all that much. It was very smooth on the highway with low wind and road noise. I live in up state NY (sorry) with alot of hills. Compared to the Max, the S70 didn't like hill climbing at slower speeds (30-40mph)and it feels like it needs more HP or torque. But, when shutting the car off in park the motor didn't quit smoothly, it felt like something was 'going on' under the hood. It's hard to describe, but it was like the engine was moving and taking it's time to shut off for a few seconds...Any idea there? Other then that everything worked fine except for a frozen door handle. It's a nice auto but I still can't decide.
    boatman7
    The "shudder" when the shutting down the S70 is "normal" (?--this is what I was told by Volvo). It is almost like a dog shaking off water after a bath. It just lasts a second or two. Reminded me of post-ignition problems on some 70s and 80s cars. This is just one of the little quirks that I referred to above that make this model crude by today's standards. Yes, you can live with it, but why? I frequently visit the forums, and still hang out in the Volvo sections. People consistently list the following reasons as to why they were attracted to a Volvo (1) seats--and again, I must say, there a few that equal or exceed the Volvo seats (2) brakes (3) safety, although the S60/S80/V70 have side head bags and multi-stage bags now, plus safer seats and (4) it's just different from anything else on the market, and they get BORED with a reliable, runs all of the time, refrigerator like vehicle (AKA Japanese). Fact is, there are many cars on the market that can meet or exceed most or all of these requirements, with a lot less fuss, and for a lot less money.
    I have had no problems with my 2000 GLT SE and have been thouroghly enjoying the car. Great seats, styling, and stereo. I had the CD changer installed in the glove box, which has worked well. still room for some small items and the manual can go on the lower shelf. The turbos engine is great, and again I have no complaints. I would recommend the 2000 S70 over the american models, Toyota or Nissan.
  • gsmirogsmiro Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I have been checking used car prices on Edmund's site and a few other sites. But strangely, the price for 98 S70 varies a lot. From this site I got the price for dealer retail fro about $17700
    but from Kelly Blue Book it's about $21k. I put in the same milage, same options and same condition, still the price for dealer retail varies greatly. Can anyone tell me why is it so?
    What's the difference between the websites? And which one is more accurate? Actually I bought a used 98 S70 base already, with 35320 miles and a few options like CD/Tape, leather seats. We paid $19100 for it. Does this sounds like a good deal to you? Thank you in advance for any comments that you might have!
  • mrsnomanmrsnoman Member Posts: 5
    I know your concerns.. have a current lease on a 1998 S70 and have experienced some of the problems that are listed. I am seriously considering a BMW X5 Or ML320. Though another S70 is in the back of my mind. It is really a good car But with other manufactures stepping up with the first 3-4 years of complete maintenance free it is almost worth the extra cash. Read all of the articles here. These forums help alot on making decisions.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I, too, had the same prob with my 95 960. It happened 2 yrs after I bought the car. The engine raced up to 3000 rpm like crazy. The dealer stated that was a problem with the engine temperature sensor (!?). The engine had the wrong info and resulted in bad fuel/air mixture.

I still don't understand how that made the engine rev so high.
    In response to #139

The switch for the radio/cd reset is on the right side behind the plastic rail. You need to take the radio out and then remove the rail. There is a small hole there where you can insert a bent paper clip and reset the cd player. I went through 4 radios and numerous resets until this last radio. I have a 98 S70 glt; other than this only bulb replacement has been a huge pain in the A**.
  • eklndeklnd Member Posts: 4
    I owned a VOLVO S70 for 3 years and it was a piece of garbage!!! I've owned two VOLVO's prior to the S70 and they were perfect. Something has happened to Volvo's over the years and they're totally unreliable. I was stranded many times with bunches of dead batteries...one right after the other. I bought a 2000 Acura 3.2TL new back in September. I have 7000 miles on it already and it's WONDERFUL. Do yourself a favor and don't by a VOLVO electrical nightmare.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Why would you keep a piece of garbage for 3 years? Not me. I have problems similar to yours(bulbs, gauges, AC...electrical). But it's solid (definitely more than the TL) and fun to drive. Hopefully the bugs are out and no more trips to the dealer....
  • homerandoldladhomerandoldlad Member Posts: 2
  • eklndeklnd Member Posts: 4
    Actually Albert123, I had a 36 month lease on the S-70 and I had to keep it (or pay through the nose) It was the smartest move I've ever made, however, because Volvo HAD to take the car back at lease end. I was going to turn it in to the dealer and lease a newer model, but the dealer wouldn't take it back!! (was in perfect shape, interior and exterior and good mileage) They suggested that I make Volvo take it back and then come see them. So what does that tell you....they've had so many problems with the 98's that they don't want them! I agree that the Volvo is a tight ride, but the Volvo power doesn't hold a candle to the Acura and the Acura is much more nimble than the Volvo. To each his own, I suppose.
  • ukbballmanukbballman Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1999 S70 GLT w/29K. The couple I bought it from was buying a house and had to get out of their absurd lease payment (500 bucks a month). I paid 22,000 for the car, the original list was over 37K. The only thing I notice is that the CD player seems to skip often at high volume. Is this normal? The car is as comfortable as a recliner and I find it has power to burn. I hope the '99 models don't have the bevy of problems that the 98s seem to. Anyone with a 99 S70 GLT have any input?
  • jkirk22jkirk22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to these discussions. I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 S70 GLT. It is Red/Black leather, auto, moonroof, has a Volvo CD changer in trunk, Cold Weather Pkg, and looks immaculate. Only has 16,500 miles. Asking price is $22,800. I can get it for $22,000 and maybe even for $21,500. I was very excited when I first found this, because of it's history of safety and the low miles. However, as I read the discussions, I'm scared as hell now about all the recalls & problems. How do I find out what recalls were out for this car? If they have all been taken care of, should I definitely be looking to buy an extended waranty, and if so, where? This is an individual, not a dealer. I guess my biggest question is, should I just pass and look elsewhere such as a 98 Lexus ES300. Any help would be appreciated
  • cyberpencyberpen Member Posts: 2
    I'm contemplating buying a used S70 with 31K miles from Borton Volvo in Delray Beach, Fla. The warranty is built into the price of their certified used cars. What has been people's experience with these warranties and what keys parts and repairs do they not cover? Anyone? They are asking $20,900 for this vehicle, with sun roof, leather, power seats and CD player. Is that a decent price?
    I have the 98, but I can tell you that the CD should not skip just b/c you have it at high volume. When it works it works. Since you just got this car...make sure you get it into the shop for every possible warranty prob you can think of.Most problems are simple, just a pain in the neck. Be careful of creaks and rattles. Good luck.
  • dparesdpares Member Posts: 29
    Haven't been here in awhile but reading all the posts concering S70 reliability..I've added many posts before but can give a summary here.

I have a 2000 S70 SE bought new. Black/Black

Reliability seems ok but have some small problems ..
    **blinkers.(fixed under warranty),
    **trunk that opens when it wants to... not yet fixed as it cant be duplicated by the dealer.. **strange noise under the car..sounds like grinding or a shield rattling.. happens between 35 and 60 MPH it seems, but the day I took it to the dealer..it didnt happen!!!!! BTW..still is VERY loud! . I just play the radio louder! ..
    -when driving when its raining hard or recently when it was snowing and slush wa son the road, the breaks barely worked!... pretty scary..really had to press hard..felt like they got wet .. doesnt happen on my 2000 CivicEX coup...
    ****seats are great..acceleration is acceptible.. ride is hard but I like that.. handling isnt too good but I drive slower.. was in an accident a few months after I got it..was rearended while sitting at a light..VERY hard... me and my wife walked away without any injury's and car looked real good considering the impact..(it cost $4,000 to repair it).
    *******So therein lies the main issue ..after that accident, I'm sworn to these cars..and I'll put up with the problems...

I recommend a 2000 S70 with no reservations!
  • msievemsieve Member Posts: 9
    I've owned/leased four Volvos in the last 20 years, a '75 240 wagon that never cost us a dime over four years, an '86 240 sedan we drove for ten years and never had a serious problem with, a '92 turbo wagon that saved my life when a guy ran a light and hit me in the driver's side, nearly totaled the car but I didn't have a scratch, and now the '98 S70 GLT that has been absolutely perfect accept for replacing two bulbs. I've got 35000 miles on it, it's coming off lease, I've driven every other car out there in the past month and today decided to buy it off lease for $18,650-- it stickered at $36,000 new and I'm getting a helluva deal, I know the owner and he's babied it. At 35000, this baby is barely broken in. I'll drive it two more years and it'll still be worth 14-15 grand. I think these threads often attract the people who have had irritating problems with their cars and justifiably have something to complain about-- those of us who've been lucky enough to have great experiences with the same brand often don't have anything to say. Just want you folks to hear from a Volvo believer, this S70 is still as liquid smooth as the day we got it, the power is there when I need it, the seats are still the best in the business, the sound system is wonderful, and with the new Sumimoto tires even the ride has softened a bit, less chatter over these busted up Minnesota winter streets. Performance, safety, good looks, comfort, great engineering. We love these cars, if you can find a good used S70, get it and drive it forever.
  • andrew47andrew47 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info on the 00 S70. This is exactly what I was looking for. Whoever can add to this subject, please do, including, of course, "dpares." I really want an S70 00, but I just can't handle it if it needs a lot of little, or big for that matter, repairs and replacements. Thanks for the help.