Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S70

rvaranorvarano Member Posts: 1
I recently purchased a 98 S70 after driving an
Audi for ten years. My concern is the "truck like"
ride that I experience with the Volvo. This is my
only complaint, however, it is driving me crazy.
Does anyone know how to remedy this problem and do
the after market performance shocks
specifically for Volvo do any good..

Comments

• rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    rvarano, I'm not sure about the Volvo shocks (I assume you are talking about the electrically? adjustable ones) but I do know owners have put Bilsteins on their with good results. You would do well to go to the BrickBoard (www.brickboard.com) where you will find many knowledgeable owners who have made this decision already. However, you should be aware, that the 70 series car was Volvo's interpretation of a sport car and in high-pressure turbo form used to be capable of speeds around 150 mph even in the US. In other words, it was designed to give a firmer ride than other cars in the class which is fine if you buy a T5 and regularly put it to the test but for the majority of owners the suspension setup is a poor compromise for their driving habits. For a comparison, test drive a S80 2.9 for a good feel for how Volvo (and the rest of the Europeans) define a plush luxury ride. It won't do you any good for your S70, but the S60 replacement is based on the S80 platform so it will probably have a much more mainstream ride quality. Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@mediaone.net
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I have owned an S70 1999 Base for about 10 months now, and am very pleased with the car. My initial impression of the ride was the same as yours. I have softened the ride (somewhat) by paying close attetion to the tire pressures front and rear. I have the Michelins on my car (came with the car) and I find keeping 31PSI front and 32PSI rear improves the ride considerably. The dealership seems to want to increase the pressure to 34-35 when I take it in for service, but I just set it back. We took a trip down to the beach two weeks ago and with these tire pressures, and a loaded down car, got 31mpg at speeds 70-75 mph. Recently, someone took out the passenger door and fron fender, and my car was off the road for about 4 weeks. I had a new 2000 camry (rental). The camry is powerful (low end-4 cyl) and quiet, and the ride soft. Although the Camry is a nice car, and I enjoyed driving it, in my opinion, the Volvo is a much more solid car, and a much better car overall...solid as a rock...and part of that feeling has to do with the way the suspension is tuned. It took me a couple of months to get used to the ride, but once you do, you'll wonder why you even questioned it in the first place. The new V70 wagon rides very smoothly, and I suspect the new S60 will have a more "american ride" without giving up the handling and solid feeling.
  • dochollidaydocholliday Member Posts: 1
    I understand your frustration and discomfort. I have had a 1999 Volvo S70 for about 11 months now and have found it to be very uncomfortable. I get a very rough ride, road and engine noise and vibration into the cabin, brake noise and windshield wiper noise during rains. Even though I have spent much time with Volvo, none of my car's comfort problems have been resolved and Volvo has left me to deal with the problem stating that their car is performing to Volvo standards. I am also looking for aftermarket solutions to my comfort problems. If you have any solutions that have worked for your Volvo, please let me know. Thanks.
  • gthomaspagthomaspa Member Posts: 6
    Just received a firm quote from the dealer on a new, S70 SE with moonroof, winter package,metallic, and automatic transmission. I can drive this car out of the dealer for $30,220 and, according to Edmunds, this is about $200 over invoice. Any better deals out there that anyone has heard about? Seems quite fair for this vehicle. I've never a Volvo and I guess I'm a little nervous about spending this kind of cash. Any comments relative to the deal or the automobile itself. Would appreciate any feedback.
  • lloydh1lloydh1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 Volvo S70 GLT turbo with 40,400 miles and have been reading the comments on the hard ride. I acknowledge the firm ride, especially in the back seat. I wish the car would have a somewhat softer ride but I think this is due to its ability to tow a class II hitch. It is probably the only near luxury car that is actually capable of towing 3,300 pounds. All other cars in its class (BMW 528e, Audi A6, Saab, Avalon) cannot tow anywhere near this amount. The firm ride does have the benefit of better handling. I also have experienced the loud tire noise on rough pavement but I don't know what to do about that. In any even I love the car and plan on keeping it.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Is the 168hp five cylinder enough? Does it compare to the VR6 VW engine (174 hp)? I mean, does one less cylinder and a little less hp make that much of a diff in an automatic?

What are realistic mpg? also, does that engine require premium fuel?

Thanks
  • kbarrykbarry Member Posts: 9
    There is a company called IPD based in Oregon that deals in a variety of aftermarket accessories specifically for Volvo's. Primarily they deal in suspension parts. However, you can order almost anything from them and prices are far more reasonable than at the dealer.
  • peccattepeccatte Member Posts: 3
    We bought an S70SE in april for $28400 from a large dealer in Brooklyn. This was below the dealer invoice price that was listed on Edmunds and other car advice web pages. The price was offered by the dealer initially and he would not budge. The car handles beautifully, has more than adequate power for normal driving and is very comfortable. When pushed hard the engine is kind of noisy, sounding something like a well tuned motorcycle. Worst thing about the car is the blind spot and poor visibility caused by thick pillars, large headrest, and inward leaning windows. I bought an auxillary mirror which helps. Also it is hard to see your back end when parking because the trunk is high. Trunk is not as large as the one on my previous 240, but the seats fold forward so you can extend baggage from the trunk into the car if you are not carrying 5 pasengers. To tell you the truth we liked our 240 better but it had 186000 miles on it and was having problems with AC, wipers, windows, etc. Engine and transmission were still excellent. The s70 has an excellent AC and has functioned perfectly for the firs 4000 miles.

Richard
    We are getting about 23 mpg combined city and highway on premium fuel.
  • hmspectorhmspector Member Posts: 1
    Can I get the name of the dealer in Brooklyn that you used (and the salesperson, if you recall).

Thanks
    hmspector
    It was Bay Ridge Volvo, can't remember the salesman's name at the moment.

R.
  • sunlinersunliner Member Posts: 36
    We have the base 5-cyl motor. 162hp in our 1999 model to meet LEV standards, not 168hp as it was in 1998.

It's plenty of horsepower with the manual trans. that we have. I could never call our car fast, but it's responsive and zippy, not a slouch by any means.

I had the same car as ours, but with the 5-spd automatic, as a loaner. It's noticeably slower to accelerate, and doesn't sound as nice. Still adequate, and actually cruises on the freeway about 500rpm lower than our stick shift.

We get 29-30 mpg on the freeway, going 75mph with the AC on. We get mid-twenties in town/local roads. Yes, the non-turbo requires premium fuel, according to the manual. (our salesman told us to "just run any old gas" in it) The motor will "compensate" for lower grades of gas, but "compensate" means "less output" to me. We stick with 92 octane or higher. The few cents/gallon are very worth it to us.
  • lgammilllgammill Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the input. I have noticed that the invoice price on Edmunds, as well as other reports (e.g., IntelliChoice and greenlight.com) show a lower invoice price than what I was quoted, but I think the report dates were in February, 2000, so I thought maybe the prices went up a little since then. In any event, I was also a little wary at the dealership because I got advice to get a dealer's invoice to really make sure that I was getting $99 over. All he would show me was a computer screen with a number on it saying that that was his dealer invoice. So, I thought that maybe something was up with the pricing.

With all of the reasearch that I've done, I thought that the price I was given was a bit more than dealer invoice, but I didn't know what to rely on, because I didn't know if invoice prices listed on these websites were the same all over or what (i.e., if they are national or regional pricing)! (I've bought used cars before but this is my first time in the new-car market!)

Thanks for the input -- anyone else have something to add?

Also, Sunliner, what model do you have? I have read your entries earlier on this page, but I can't remember (sometimes you read so much on the websites, but can't remember exactly where you got the info!)
    P.S. Re: the price -- I was looking at an automatic -- isn't that a $1,000 increase in the price?
    Regarding your last few posts:

Please tell me you meant factory invoice and not dealer invoice? The price you quoted indeed sounds like dealer invoice. You should be working from factory invoice which is the price the dealer paid. The S70s are discounted because they are out of production now. They are slated for replacement by the beautiful new S60 later this year. Dealers who still have S70s have been taking thousands off dealer invoice. Some have indeed sold at prices near factory invoice. A price of $99 over factory invoice sounds decent but $99 over dealer invoice would be ludicrous and certainly scandalous on a close-out model.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@mediaone.net
    I just returned from a 9 day vacation. Left my 1999 S70 Base sedan sitting in the garage. Tried to start the car, and could hear the starter turning, and the engine misfire... would not start. Called "on call" (which worked fine, by the way) and had the car towed to the dealership. Their diagnosis is that it needs "hotter plugs" for the type of driving I'm doing. I believe this may be part of the problem, but there could be something else lurking around. Anyone hear anything about this? Thanks
    lgammill,
    We have a 1999 S70 base. Manual 5-spd, no options except for the sunroof. Tan interior, Pewter Silver exterior...very sharp. (we're biased!) When we bought in 1999, all the colors were no charge.

Oops...didn't think about the AT, since wife and I are both die-hard stick fans. Yup, Edmunds says the automatic is $1000, both invoice and msrp. So up that price I mentioned to $28,680. Add $575 destination charge...$29,255.

Sounds like that dealer might actually be giving you a good deal!

joel,
    Something we've noticed is that the motor is pretty sensitive to moisture in the gas. Coupla times -- primarily just after I wash it -- It acts like it's flooded, and it cranks, coughs and spits a little. My wife called the dealership the first time, and they advised her that it's no big deal, and to just hold the pedal to the floor and crank it until it started...which worked.

Hasn't happened but only 3 times or so in the past year, a couple right after I washed it and blasted water up the tailpipe, and seems like the first time was the day after we got back from a week-long trip out to VA and DC and back to IN.
    OK, now I am really confused. I thought dealer invoice and factory invoice were the same thing -- i.e., what the dealer paid for the car (including destination charges). If they are not the same thing, what is the difference? (I am a novice at this new car buying thing.)

The price that the delearship is going to give me is (supposedly) $99 over what they paid for the car -- which is a couple grand less than the MSRP.

Does this sound better?

Thanks.
    lgammill
    Sounds like you're right to me. Rollie might be using the term "dealer invoice" interchangeably with "list price", "sticker price", "MSRP", or "retail price." Just guessing.
    Just picked up the car from the dealership. They tell me it was hard starting (engine was turning over), but just not running. They replaced the plugs and say it seems fine. They also said if it happens again, "they need to know immediately." The service manager says he has seen this in a few cars, and is limited to the base (non-turbo) models. This is a new plug specification that was just released. I also have a theory: I notice that when it is very hot around here (90-100), that after a 15-20 minute drive, the electric engine cooling fan continues to run for quite awhile. I believe that this is draining the battery, and therefore not enough cranking power. Does your car (or anyone else's) do the same thing (the fan runs for a good 3-5 minutes after shutdown). By the way, didn't take the Volvo on the trip... rented a Ford Explorer through Hertz. They have a special deal going $219 per week, unlimited miles. At that price, seemed dumb to put the wear and tear on my car. Got 22-23 mpg with full time 4-wheel drive (XLT model). Only had 1400 miles on it when I picked it up, and we put 2350 miles on it. Wouldn't want to own one, but really nice for a trip.
    I've only noticed the cooling fan running after we shut the car off about twice in the past year, really. Doesn't seem to drain the battery any noticeable amount. When you crank your car, does it sound slower than normal? As long as the starter cranks the motor at the usual speed, you've got plenty of battery power.

We take the opposite approach to our Volvo's miles. (Well, I do, my wife's on the fence...) I want to load the miles on it. Drive to the east coast? Bring it on! Drive to South Dakota? Gimme more!

Up until recently, we owned cars cruddy enough that we HAD to use rentals to go to Mich. and visit family. Now we have a nice car, and the days of necessary rentals are behind us.

We got the car in April 1999, and we've got just over 24,000 miles on it already! At this rate, when it comes time to teach our son how to drive, the car will have 384,000 miles on it, and 432,000 when it's time to send him off to college. (He's 2 months old now.)
    Regarding post #20:

By dealer invoice I'm referring to MSRP. However, the 'dealer invoice' starts as the Mulrooney (sp.) sticker on the car and then they sometimes add dealer installed items of their choosing (and pricing). Now that you've clarified that you meant factory invoice your deal sounds much better. However, you might want to check to see if there are any factory to dealer incentives on the car or holdbacks. If this is the case then you can probably get an even better price.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@mediaone.net
    Thanks everyone for the input. I bought the car yesterday evening -- 2000 S70 SE automatic, moondust, leather interior, with sunroof. Very nice. I am fairly confident that I paid $99 over the dealer invoice -- they showed me their invoice which matched my calculations.

I can't beleive I just bought a new car ! :o

lgammill
  • dawndmcdawndmc Member Posts: 2
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your monthly payments on your new S-70? I went to a dealer yesterday and test-drove an S-80. Was told that the S-70s weren't being made anymore, only were available for purchase and the monthly payment would be as much as the special that they are running on the S-80s -- $499, no money down.
    I'm am purchased my S-70 with financing through a local credit union. My payments will be approx. $550 per month and I put $5500 down. The "special" I got was $99 over dealer invoice.

I was not informed of any specials that they were offering on the S-70 (other than that $99 over) or any offers on the S-80 (which was out of my price range [for purchasing it] and was also too risky an investment for me considering it has only been in production a short while).

Hope this information helps.

lgammill
    Also, did they give you any information on the $499/mo -- sounds like its a 6 year loan at 10% or something like that...

(Mine is a 5-yr. loan at 7.95%)

lgammill
    Jeff,
    How much glovebox did that leave you? We might add a cd-changer some time down the road, so I'm sort of curious. (the SC-813 has cd controls on it, too)

lgammill,
    Congrats! Welcome to the World of Volvo. I think "Moondust" is the same as 1999's "Pewter Silver." Silver, with gold flecks? Sharp color if it is...'course we're biased.

Nick's Volvo
    Thanx. We were lucky the punks used cheap paint, it came off with WD-40...even the swirl they put on the hood. The keying made me turn red, my wife says.

Bummer on the glovebox space. We keep more than just maps and papers in there. We've got the Volvo manuals and papers in the velour/vinyl folder, the front license plate bracket, and the adapter cable for the cd Walkman in there. And about 20 napkins from Subway and Taco Bell.

Oh well, we're not even close to upgrading the stereo yet.
  • dawndmcdawndmc Member Posts: 2
    That $499 deal is a no money down, 36 mo lease. It's a beautiful car, but I just can't justify the expense. That's why I was interested in the S-70. I figured that it is more in my price range. But, the dealer I saw told me the only deals on the S-70s are purchases on his demos, not leases. I'd like to get into a lease that's more like $400 a month payment. It's a business expense. Either I'll probably wind up choosing another car or wait until the S-60s come out, but according to this salesman, volvo probably won't run any deals on them because of the demand they anticipate.

Thanks for your help!
  • jzaubermanjzauberman Member Posts: 10
    I just turned in our 1998 S70 GLT upon lease expiration a month ago. In 45,000 miles the car performed almost flawlessly mechanically. It had some of the typical 70 Series minor problems -- turn signal bulbs/sockets burning out and a couple of other minor items that were inconsequential. The car had some truly remarkable features -- unbelievable power on demand, excellent seats, confidence inspiring brakes and sure handling. I miss these features. I replaced the S70 with an Acura 3.2TL -- reasonably quick and very solid but clearly lacking the low end grunt of the Volvo and the excellent seating and braking. However, what drove my wife and I to get out of the Volvo (this was our second one in 5 years) was the rattle and squeak factor as well as the rough ride. Unfortunately, most of the Volvo products I have driven over the past 5 years (and I have driven many examples since my dealer gave me a loaner S70 each time I was in for service and I have driven a couple of S80s) come straight from the factory with rattles and squeaks. From dash rattles to sunroof rattles, we had them all. This is not acceptable in a car costing north of 30K. We wanted to love the S70 and keep it long term but we couldn't see our way clear to do so. Even if we could live with the noises, their presence doesn't inspire confidence that the car would hold together over the long term. I really hope that the S60 (which will be built on a more rigid platform) will be bolted together better and not have these problems. For now, sadly, we had to say goodbye to Volvo.
  • mrcar2mrcar2 Member Posts: 3
    How does your TL compare to your old s70. I almost bought a TL (and have driven them many times) and went with the s70 instead. I think the rattles are exacerbated by the tight ride in the s70.

I thought the TL was maybe a little quieter. I think the volvo's seats are more comfortable and has better breaks. Both have decent stereos. The tl may be a little nicer (certainly more modern) in the interior, but it comes down to taste. To me, the volvo feels more solid and safer. I bought a 98 t-5. It feels a little faster than the TL, but the TL could move fast as well. Overall, if I had bought new, I would have gone with the TL. Even at or near MSRP, its a great deal.
  • knoxvilleknoxville Member Posts: 2
    I just found this web site and lucked into finding this chat on S70's. I have owned Pontiac's for years and am looking for something different that has good acceleration and handling ability. I test drove a 1998 S70 GLT with 25000 miles and was impressed. However, the price concerns me as I can just about buy a new Grand Prix with 190hp for the same price. My main concern comes from how the car will hold up with the turbo and the recent email on rattles and shakes gives me pause.

Can someone tell me if they own the same year and model I am looking at what their repair history has been, if they have any problems with the turbo and if they are happy with their purchase?
  • amazonamazon Member Posts: 293
    A two year old Volvo is far better put together than a new Pontiac in my opinion. I have a Y2K S70 base and I love it. The turbo shouldn't be an issue as long as you change the oil often enough and don't go WOT right after a cold start.
    Just wanted to update everyone: picked up my new S70 yesterday and am driving it for the first time today. Boy what a ride -- so much better than my 1990 Acura! (Time to sell that one -- anyone had any luck selling a used car on-line? Input please....)

Of course, I am extra-aware of the rattle factor, and I thought I heard something as I was driving this morning, but I think it was just my imagination -- or the cell phone I left on my front seat.

My husband loves the car -- especially the passenger seat (where he will be spenidng most of his time)!

Anyway, just wanted to give you an update!
    I sold a 93 Civic at www.autotrader.com prior to buying the S70. Is it a base car, or a GLT/ T5? No problem, given that the car is priced right.
    My S70 is a base SE (i.e., with leather interior, in-dash CD, sunroof). Based on the way I drive, didn't think the extra horsepower was necessary (and they also do not sell the T5 in my area anymore).

I will try the autotrader to sell my Acura.
  • jzaubermanjzauberman Member Posts: 10
    I agree with your assessment of the S70 as compared to the 3.2TL. Volvo brakes are clearly better -- my main disappointment with the Acura are the brakes -- they do not inspire a sense of confidence like the Volvo binders. Volvo seats are also worlds better than those in the Acura. If you take a look at the Acura 3.2 topic you will find many posts regarding seating and brakes not quite being up to snuff for a car of the Acura's class. It is always interesting to consider exactly where manufacturers cut corners. My guess is that for a couple of hundred dollars more Acura could have had world class brakes and seats. Our GLT with the low pressure turbo was noticeably quicker than the Acura. Once you drive a turbo with a quick reacting automatic like the S70's it is hard to go back to normally aspirated life unless you move into V8 territory. Interestingly, when I got the GLT, I drove a T5 back to back with the GLT and found that the GLT is quicker off the line since maximum torque is available at a very low 1800 rpm vs. 2700 rpm for the T5. The T5 gives a bigger kick in the back at higher speeds. But to get back to how the Volvo and the 3.2 stack up against one another I will say that they are both fine cars, each with its own set of strengths. The Acura is somewhat more refined and the bias is towards the luxury end with a wonderful ride, nice looks and luxury appointments. In addition, due to its recent chassis design vs. Volvo's early 1990s design, it is much more rigid and less subject to the dreaded "rattle and squeak" factor and the harsh ride that the Volvo has. Fuel economy in the Acura is much better than the Volvo due to the 5 speed automatic (we did over 30 mpg on a recent trip from Michigan to Vermont). I also believe that the Acura will be a little more reliable over the long haul than the Volvo. However, there are some intangibles to consider. By this I mean how the car makes you feel other than objectively. It sounds quite funny when reduced to writing but while the Acura is quite pleasant it doesn't have the "soul" that the Volvo has. There is something special about the Volvo. Maybe soul is not the right word -- "character" may be more accurate. OK, so the car has some flaws that some people just cannot live with (the rattle and squeak factor for me) but when you need quick acceleration, it's there on demand, no delay. Likewise with respect to stopping power. Not so with the Acura -- it goes and stops more than adequately but not in the spectacular manner that the Volvo does. Simply put, the Volvo is special in its own way, just like a BMW. If the rattle and squeak factor didn't bother me so much, I would have stuck with the Volvo. I hope your S70 is tight and solid. Maybe part of my problem is that the roads in Michigan are among the worst in the country -- full of holes everywhere -- kind of strange for the "motor city". By the way, I have heard that replacing the shocks/struts with Bilsteins makes for a dramatic improvement in the ride. IPD sells Volvo aftermarket parts and you might want to look them up. I plan to check out the S60 when it comes out -- I'd really like another Volvo as long as the rattles and squeaks are left in Sweden! Best of luck with your S70.
  • dparesdpares Member Posts: 29
    In answer to some earlier posts..
    1) I purchased my 2000 S70 SE for $27,400 in NJ ...

2) Car is nice..great seats ...fit and finish are first class... I like the ride...like a firm ride.

3) BUT a firm ride doesent mean good handling.. I came off a 3 series BMW with sport suspension so i might be biased but.... Volvo handling , or breaks,aren't inspiring at all.. car leans ALOT and the breaks dont grab quickly...there seems to be a little pause...but you get used to it..

4) .its not a performance car and I suspect the GLT isnt either even though its a fast car...handling just isnt there compared to a BMW..

5) BUT.. you just can't get a big roomy solid comfortable European car for this price... and thats the point.. a 5 series BMW is $40G plus...this car was $13G less..!!!.. is the BEEMER that much better....no way...if this turns out to be a good reliable car I'm a Volvo fan forever!

STEVE (Hoboken).. can you tell me the type of Zaino polish you used..Z2 or Z3...am ordering it soon..THANKS
    Hey Steve, I echo most of what you had to say.

Fit and finish is excellent and the seats are even better. The ride is stiffer than most American cars, but the handling is a touch better. Not as good as a BMW, though.

Brakes are excellent on ours...I don't notice any pause. Actually, I hardly ever use the full capacity of our brakes, and I always shoot an eye toward the rearview mirror when I DO have to stop hard, because our Volvo can stop quicker than most of the cars behind me.

I completely agree about the size! The S70 is 5-series sized...but 3-series priced! We got our base S70 in 1999 for $26,425...at that price, the 323i doesn't come with tilt, cruise, folding rear seat or metallic paint...and the 323i didn't have dual-zone HVAC for any price. The S70 had all of that standard.
    My new volvo drives excellent. But, I was not imagining things when I heard a rattle. I have developed a very loud (and annoying rattle) in the back, before I even reached 100 miles on the odometer! I think there is also a rattle in the front seat somewhere.

It upsets me to have spent so much money on a car and then have it develop these noises (my husband is not concerned, but then again he didn't have to fork over the $$). But, I have to agree with what other have said: this is a minor annoyance, which I believe is easily fixed (once located -- which is the hard part!).

Other than that, I am thoroughly enjoying my new car. I paid about $2K less than MSPR, but did not get as good a price as some of you. (I try not to think about that though
  • dparesdpares Member Posts: 29
    While it is a minor annoyance, at that price you shouldn't have to put up with it... But this should put it in perspective.. when I bought my BMW ..new, before the volvo, the sunroof broke after the first week... the interior roof liner came down...twice.. and the car developed a bad leak that had to be fixed and the doors always squeaked when going over bumps (all the time in NY)... It was all taken care of and the BMW dealer was outstanding but for a $30k plus car I was annoyed to say the least...once it was fixed the car was great... Am sure you will feel the same about your Volvo... So far I haven't developed any rattles or any of the annoyances others have reported and do enjoy it quite a bit!

good luck
    Dpares,

Thanks for the insight. My husband agrees that the rattles can be fixed.

I am starting to keep my list so that I can bring it to the dealer and have them all resolved! (Of course, the rattles are the only thing on that list right now!)
  • ryskitryskit Member Posts: 2
    We own a 1999 S70 and notice that we are getting exhaust fumes in the cabin of the car. We've taken it to the dealer twice and they have done different things but nothing seems to fix it. Do any of you Volvo owners out there have or heard of this problem ?
  • ekleeeklee Member Posts: 1
    I recently test drove a used 1999 S70 that we intend to buy. The car is in excellent conditions. However, I noticed moisture condensation inside the headlights at the end of the test drive, which was on a rainy day. When I asked the dealer selling the car, he told me that the headlights are of an "open" design, and that condensations are normal during rainy days with short driving distances. I am skeptical since I have never heard of normal moisture condensations inside headlights. Is the dealer telling the truth ?
    Thanks for any feedback .

Eric
  • spotqspotq Member Posts: 1
    Knoxville I am also in the market for a used car hear in E. TN the S70 has made it onto my short list, (I never buy new I like for the original owner to get the depreciation and fix the rattles) as you are probably aware there are not many '98 or '99 used ones hear in Rocky Top. I have looked in the Atlanta Paper and there seems to be a few more but not many. I take this to be a good sign as many people hold onto them vs selling them. Good Luck I will let you know what I find out. Spotq
    ryskit,
    No exhaust fumes noticed w/our '99. Noticed any extra exhaust noises to indicate a leak somewhere in the pipes?

eklee,
    I think your dealer is feeding you a line. "Open design?" I've replaced one of the headlights after a hailstone or something put a hole in the glass...and it's not a sealed-beam, but it's not just hanging open, either. The front glass is clipped tightly to the "bucket," and the access to the bulb has a threaded cover over it. We haven't noticed condensation in our headlights ever in the past year & 24000 miles. Is the guy a Volvo dealer?
  • theresa11theresa11 Member Posts: 58
    I have found a S70 w/auto, touring, sunroof, touring, sport pkgs, tint, pinstripe. MSRP is 33,300. This is a loaner car that has 6500 mi. According to rep, Volvo gives dealers approx. $1/mi up to $6000 for the loaner. This savings can be passed on to the buyer. The invoice for this car is 30,400. They are selling it for 27,000 plus sales tax and tag and will not budge any further. Warranty would be what is left over from original. They also have a new S70 SE w/no miles and are asking 28,900 plus tax and tag. MSRP is 31,275 and invoice is 29,020. I don't know which way to go, or if either deal is any good. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Theresa
    I paid $25K for a similar car, but with 9,500 miles. If each mile is worth a buck, then you're getting a good deal. I think my deal was good, anyway.
    I purchased an S70 loaner a year ago (had 5000 miles on it) and paid 27500. I have been very happy with the car... it has performed beyond expectations. If I had your choice (theresa11), I guess I'd go for the new (no miles) S70 SE. It's nice to put your own miles on a car from the beginning. Since this is an outgoing model (to be replaced in October by the S60) they'll both depreciate pretty quickly. If you put low miles on a car, the S70 SE will depreciate less.
    I purchased the S70 as a loaner not because of the money savings but because I wasn't sure I'd like a Volvo. All I'd owned (except for a brief 2 year affair with a Saab Turbo) was Honda Accords. Needless to say the Volvo is a very different car. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy new. BUT, the new version of the S/V 40s are on their way to the dealerhips (with modified/upgraded interiors and more safety goodies), and the S60 is out in October (a very sexy looking car), and the S80 keeps waving and smiling at me every time I drive by the dealership (I swear it beeps its horn too), so there will be plenty of opportunity for me to trade up.