Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    What year GP were you looking at to buy? The 97 and 98 didn't do as well in Consumer Reports because those were the first 2 years for that new styling. The rating jumped back up to "Recommended" for '99 to present. I don't know how many people have been happy/unhappy with their '97 and '98 GP's.

I have as SE so can't really give advice on the GT - completely different engines. And I've only had the car for 3 months.

evandro - I didn't get to Barnes and Noble to look through R&T again--too cheap to buy the magazine when I just want to look at that one picture!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    No problems at 38000 miles, only the goodyear LSs were done at 22000 miles.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    The car in the picture in R&T referred to as a future Grand Prix was this. Actually, it's grown on me and I think it's kinda cute...

What's happening to me? Is there a crossover in my future??? ;^)

Thanks for the picture. It is a little strange looking from the Grand Prix's we're used to. From the article I saw in R&T, it looks like it will fit right in. All those cars I saw had that "futuristic" look!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Hi stnel,

My wife and I are looking at a 2000 GT sedan (specifically, one with the 75th Anniversary package in black) as her daily driver.

My reliability concerns aren't so much with the car (I know the 3800 engine is pretty solid), but with the interior. The quality of the materials (including the switchgear and the leather on the seats) does not inspire much confidence.

We're also looking around at Regal LS, Intrigue GLS, and even the Monte Carlo SS (we both agree that the Impala is just too ugly :-). We normally wouldn't buy new cars, but the "GM employee family discount", plus the current cash-back and financing offers, are just too good to pass up...

--Robert
    When I was car shopping, Oldsmobile was offering a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty--at least that's what the salesman told me. He was trying to sell me an Alero when I was looking at the Chevy's so I didn't pay that much attention to the Oldsmobile warranty. I don't know if they're still offering that warranty or not. I think it was back in April when I was at that particular Chevy/Olds dealership.

I had a '91 Grand Am before this car and everything in that car rattled. I hope the Grand Prix doesn't do that when it gets some years on it.
    I haven't forgotten to let you know about the bug screen. My dad's busy this week with other things but as soon as he gets around to it, I'll let you know if he was able to work the screen in there.
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    If crash test results are important, you should check out the performance of the vehicles you are considering: crashtest.com is a good summary whereas you'll find the NHTSA results for the cars you're considering at: nhtsa.dot.gov. The Intrigue was high on my list as well because of style, engine, handling, price and fold-down rear seat - until I discovered its poor rear seat side impact results. I can handle the GP's 2-star front side impact results but it's my kids who sit in the back and the Intrigue's 1 star there is just unacceptable to me.

The Regal does better on the safety issue but it was (slightly) pricier than the GP-GT (for the same level of equipment) and it had just a tad too much body roll in cornering for my tastes. Very nice car though.

The Monte Carlo has easily the best NHTSA results of the cars you're considering and has the same powerful, economical and reliable 3.8 powertrain as the Regal and GP-GT. If a 2 door suits you and the styling appeals....

Good luck

I didn't realize the Monte Carlo had such good crash test results--practically as good as the Impala.

I was concerned about the 2 star side impact rating but wound up buying the GP anyway. I seldom have a passenger in the car so only had to concern myself with crash test results pertaining to the driver.

Car rattling - A lot of people criticize GM's for cheap plastic but I didn't think it was all that cheap looking. Guess it's what you're comparing it too. Compared to the Grand Am, it doesn't look cheap but compared to the Buick, I imagine the Buick would have a nicer interior. (I bought cloth seats so didn't have to worry about the quality of the leather seats.)

Hope you find a car you like!
  • dizee65dizee65 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a GP GT 2000. My question for everyone is the mileage. I drive about 16,000 a year. I figured monthly 900-950 miles is parkway driving and I am at 16.8 miles. When I bought the car the sticker states it should be 20 city and 26 hwgy so I figured i should get at least 22 miles.
    Please forward all you suggestions. The dealership of course said there is nothing wrong. I dont believe them.
    Our '01 GT is fairly new so we're still putting in "break-in" mileage. Nevertheless, we're garnering between 21 and 24 mpg on about 2/3 semi-rural/suburban and 1/3 urban stop and go.

The 3.8 is a marvelously fuel-efficient engine but it is also very powerful. Do you accelerate quickly? anticipate stopping to ease off the accelerator? combine short trips? use gasoline from a clean and reputable source?

BTW, our '00 Bonneville (same 3.8 engine as the GP GT) has 11k miles on it and has averaged 24.1 mpg since new. I'm not a red-light racer though. Well, not often anyway.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    Hey, guys I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I constantly blow BMWs away on the highway, in terms of acceleration, braking and even cornering. Yes, they are racing me.

I have heard so much hype about BMWs, I had to go test some. I tested the Z3 3.0 automatic. The Z3 is the highest performance car with the 3.0 inline 6 (330, 330ci, 530). The Z3 is the lightest, and lowest/widest of these cars, with the same HP/Torque and 5 speed automatic or manual drive train. BMW claims a 6.0 0-60 with the automatic. The car is no where near as fast off the line as my bone stock GTP, or Previous Regal GS.

I didn't think the car corned better on the roads driven during the test drive, at 8/10ths driving. What is the deal with these cars ?

You mention this to any Beemer owner and they will call you all sorts of names, and quote an bunch of third party 0-60 and skidpad numbers. I know there are differences between the real world and test track. However, 0-60 with automatics should at least be pretty close.
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Member Posts: 17
    After a year of looking for just the right car, we finalized a deal last week on an 01 Grand Prix GT. It's a beautiful dark green now sporting a bra on the front plus mirror bras on both sides. The car looks wonderful. We looked at the Impala SS and Hyundai GS300L. Couldn't get a decent price for our trade-in (1994 Chrysler LHS) so we went with Pontiac and their 0.0% financing. The salesman was wonderful as was everyone else at the dealership we were introduced to. Took the car out this weekend for a little trip and got 29.9 average gas mileage. Fantastic!!! We went ahead with this car instead of waiting for the 03 Mercury Marauder. We just weren't quite yet ready for a "grandpa" car. So far so good for the Grand Prix.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    In my opinion...

Loose the bra. Nothing worse than a nice new car with an ugly black rubber/vinyl hunk of fabric hung on the front of it, chaffing the paint with water and grit getting under it.

Ugh...

(Unless you live in the Gulf Coast area with the 'lovebugs'. These nasty little black bugs with their 'Alien-like' acidic insides would make me re-think a bra.)
    I live in the Gulf Coast and the love bug season should be here pretty soon. I'll probably get a bra just for the 6 weeks or so that they'll be plaquing us. I believe I'll have to order one so probably need to look into it soon!

marshmellow - Hope you enjoy your new car. I see the green Grand Prix's out on the road and it's a pretty color.
    I live in central Illinois where the bugs during the corn and soybean season can destroy the front end of the nicest vehicle. We don't intend to keep the bras on year round but we do travel a fair amount and after seeing what no protection on the front of our LHS did to the paint, we are opting for the bra. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

My husband is THE MOST ANAL person you have ever met regarding HIS cars. He owns a 1988 Camaro IROC-Z convertible with 17K miles on it. Does that tell you something about how he takes care of vehicles? We are aware of the chaffing possibility and the need to take the bra off at the first hint of moisture. However, I suspect the Grand Prix will rarely see a wet pavement (except for traveling, which can't be avoided). The Camaro has yet to catch it's first drop of rain. He does have a bra on it but uses it only for traveling to shows and then promptly takes it off.

We are looking forward to a better experience with the Grand Prix than with the Chrysler products we have had. Chrysler has design over anyone else, in my opinion, but their dependability and service isn't worth a fart in a whirlwind.
  • szwickszwick Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a Grand Prix 4 door sedan. No older than a 1999 and would like any information anyone may have regarding reliability or any problems that anyone may have had.
    szwick...
    I've only had my Grand Prix for 3 months so it's really too soon to have any problems but I don't hear about too many problems on this board. I have an SE with the 3.1 L engine and most people here seem to have the 3.8.

Good luck in your car hunting!
  • kdstankdstan Member Posts: 17
    What is the purpose of the performance shift button on the gear shift of the GTP? Does this switch the supercharger on and off. Does it boost the horsepower of the car? For better fuel economy is it best to turn it off?

Thanks,
    kdstan
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    The performance shift button changes the shift points (higher or lower rpm) and how quickly and firmly the car shifts. In other words with the performance shift turned on it will hold a gear longer and shift quicker.
  • accountstudentaccountstudent Member Posts: 11
    Just traded in my 92 Grand Prix for a 99 GP SE w/3800 engine. I love the power, handling, and quietness of the car. The BOSE speakers are awesome too. Definitely a winner. Just hope it takes good care of me like old faithful did. Hope everyone likes theirs as much as I do.
    Well, my wife decided between the Intrigue GLS and the Grand Prix GT. While out looking at Intrigues, we stumbled across a white GTP sedan with the 75th anniversary package. I like black cars, while my wife likes white, and this was her style. The "arctic" white is much nicer than the ivory/bone white of the Intrigue. We also decided that, since we already have an Aurora, we have the luxury (for when we travel together) - we wanted the sport. The GTP and GLS were close in price (GM discount), but the 0.9 financing for 60 months made it a no-brainer.

We pick it up Friday...

--Robert
    (former owner of a '91 GP SE, who loved that car and put 150,000 miles on it)
    Congratulations on your new GTP! I'm sure you and your wife will really enjoy it.
    Sharp car! Congratulations.

BTW, I'm an Aurora admirer too - came darned close to buying a '99 and even considered a '01 before settling on our '00 Bonneville. I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of them.
    Since the subject of "love bugs" and car bras came up a few posts ago, I have a question regarding car bras. What exactly should I look for and avoid regarding the car bras? I've never used one before.

I just started spotting the love bugs today so they'll be around for 6 weeks or so and I need to find a bra soon. I'm looking for something that will keep the bugs out of the radiator as well as protect the paint.

I called Auto Zone and they have one I can order for $64 and there is no obligation to buy if it's not what I'm looking for. I don't want to buy online because if it's not what I want, I don't want to bother shipping it back.

Does anyone know if any one car parts store would have a better car bra than the others? And if the mesh used to protect the radiator would scratch the paint.

These bugs come out in massive numbers so I imagine the radiator would be the main concern.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacy
    I've answered your question in that "other" forum we populate but I can't really help you any more than that - having never used a bra, I lack the personal experience to pass on about which one to choose.

Good luck and let us know which one you choose.
    You all might remember the little problem that I recently had remedied on the spoiler on my '01 GT. Here's a link explaining the problem: GM Techlink
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Look here:

www.carbras.com

This is the Car Bra that I bought for my 2001 Impala LS. This is the best front end mask available on the market. The 'Perfect Fit' car bra is also sold as original OEM equipment for almost every car brand in the market. The quality of materials, construction and the way the bra fits is simply perfect.

I haven't had any problems with mine and it indeed goes a long way to protect the hood and bumper paint finish on your vehicle from road stones, debri, bug splatter, etc.

It may not look very pretty, but I prefer to have a Car Bra installed over the aggravation of accumulating stone paint chips in the hood and bumper.

Car Bras do demand special care, you should remove them every time you clean the car and they also need to be cleaned accordingly (They do dry very, very fast). Cleaning under the bra should occur at least every one to two weeks.

The Perfect Fit car bra has excellent materials to prevent accidental moisture entrapment under the paint finish or mold formation (This was a problem in car bras back in the '80's). The paint finish 'Breathes' thru the car bra so even if it rains on it, it will not be a problem.

I highly recommend it. It costs $84.00 plus $10.00 for UPS delivery to your door. The Company is located up in Canada but US residents can order directly from their website (Link above).

This is how your GP would look with the Car Bra on:

http://www.carbras.com/perfectfit/bigcars/pontiac_1997-2000%20prix.htm

Notice the bug screen over the radiator openings.

Hope this helps.

How's the GP doing?

PS: Stay away from the cheap imitation called 'Le Bra' (or otherwise known as 'Le Crap') sold of most discount auto parts stores. That bra is the worst junk you can buy.

• nanny17nanny17 Member Posts: 2
    "Le Bra = La Crap" Cute
    Do you know if the car bra in auto parts stores would harm the paint if I just needed it for 6 weeks? These bugs only last for that length of time. I hate to spend almost $100 for just 6 weeks.

I kept my '91 Grand Am so the smart thing to do would be to drive that for the next six weeks. The Grand Am is a 4 cylinder (110 hp) car and I'm used to the 6 cylinder GP. I hate the thought of driving a 10 year old car when I've got a brand new one to drive.

I love the Grand Prix. How's your car? I see a gold Impala around town that was probably the color of your 2000. I think the 2001 gold is a little darker. Both are nice looking colors.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    A loose or poor fitting car bra can ruin your car's finish in a matter of hours while driving in the highway. I'd say that even if you plan on using the cover 6 weeks out the year it will still be worth paying the price for it. Remember, next year you'll use it again and the year thereafter and so on, follow me?

$84 for a quality car bra is not a very high price to pay IMO. Go to your Pontiac dealer and ask how much they'll charge you for the GM OEM Car Bra ??(Which is the same exact Perfect Fit car bra you can get in the website) Around $120+ for the same exact thing. They charge you almost $40 bucks extra for the car bra packaging that says "GM" and the dealer parts profit.

You can't go wrong with the perfect fit car bra.

My 2001 Impala LS is doing great. I have put 3500 miles and ZERO problems. Still rock solid and a blast to drive!.
  • gowenlockgowenlock Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,

I have a 1997 Grand Prix SE with the 3.8L engine. It's been running great with some minor warranty work done to it. My question for you all is has anyone experienced any type of transmission problems? I used to think that this was the smoothest shifting car I ever had but recently I have been able to notice when the transmission shifts especially at 45mph. It seems to make an extra sound. I'm concerned because this is a change. I never noticed the gear changes before and now I can tell you every time when it does. The dealer didn't seem too concerned about it last time we had it in but also didn't drive it to check for it either since we were having other work done. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I'm just an ex Grand Prix owner who stopped by to visit, and I saw your post.

I couldn't resist telling you about my experience with a 2000 GT four door sedan that I bought new in March of 2000.

It was simply the BEST car I ever owned! I only kept it for about 8.5 months, because I wanted a Jeep Wrangler so bad that I couldn't sleep at night. I wish I could have kept the GP and still bought the Jeep, but no way.

I put just under 20K miles on that GP GT, and it NEVER ONCE WENT BACK TO THE DEALER for even the tiniest adjustment or anything. That car was perfect from day one!

I don't know where you could come close to getting the combination of great looks, good acceleration, good gas mileage, roominess, etc. that you get with a Grand Prix GT (unless it would be with a GTP).

I hope whoever bought mine is taking good care of it.

Hope this helps.

tsjay (tom)
  • oceana142oceana142 Member Posts: 9
    I want to purchase a 2002 Grand Prix and have the following question:

The Pontiac dealers in my area are only ordering the GT wtih 1SB option package. As this has more equipment than I need, I do not want to pay extra to buy the vehicle, though I would gladly buy a 1SA.

My question is, for a guy who uses a car primarily to go to work (28 miles each way on mostly local roads, drives about 19,000 miles per year, is not a "leadfoot", takes good care of the vehicle, and wants to keep it 5-7 years, is the SE a good choice?

It seems like a nice car, but I keep hearing raves about the 3800 V6. Your opinion is welcomed as I need to make a "best buy" decision. Also, are there other differences between the two models that I should be aware of? I am not a person who needs all the "bells and whistles"
    I have a 2001 SE that I bought in May and really love the car. I tend to stick to the speed limit so the 175 hp is plenty for me.

I simply haven't had the car long enough to have any problems. I think, though, that the 3.8 L has a cast iron engine while the 3.1 has aluminum cylinder heads. I would have preferred the 3.8 for that reason alone but it was out of my price range. (How important that actually is, I don't really know.)
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    The 3.8l 90° V6 is said to be much more durable and reliable than the 3.1 60° V6. Apparently, the 60° V6s tend to have lubrication problems in the last couple of cylinders at about mid-life (mid-life crisis? :^)). The 90° V6s are also among the best engines ever made in the motive industry.
  • jasjam12jasjam12 Member Posts: 1
    I live in MI and am thinking of buying a 2001 Grand Prix GT. Anyone have experience driving them in the snow and if they handle well or not?
  • lwh3lwh3 Member Posts: 6
    I have been reading this board for some time and have enjoyed it and learned a lot. I started reading the board because I've wanted a Grand Prix since the present body style was released. I know that my time to get one of these is drawing short, and so I plan to buy one soon.

I plan to keep this car literally until I die. I know that I want the GTP. I also THINK that I prefer the looks of the "Special Edition," e.g., heat extractors, roof rails, etc., with the possible exception of the two-tone interior, which I would just as soon do without. (I'm especially leery of the Special Edition interior color for 2002. Has anyone seen it?)

Anyway, I know that the general consensus of experts is that the Special Edition appearance package is not worth the money, but I wanted to hear what you all have to say. As I said, I plan to buy one quite soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
    If you like it, buy it - it's certainly unique. Heck, you're the one who has to live with it - the "experts" are probably all driving Honda Civics.
    Isn't the 3.8 available as an option on the SE? If it is, then THAT might be your answer.

We chose the GT despite the fact that the SE would have been adequate enough power for its use as a second car. What sold us was the 3.8L engine - virtually identical to the one in our '00 Bonneville SLE - and, as has been said here already, one of the better powerplants out there today. Once I looked into the difference in monthly payments between an SE and a reasonably well-equipped GT, there were no further questions.

All that said, you still can't go wrong with the SE - with or without the 3.8 Series II.

I do agree with you about the ISB though.
    FYI, the 2-tone interior color for 2002 is ruby red and graphite.

My wife and I just purchased a white GTP sedan (as her daily driver) with the Pontiac 75th Anniversary Special Edition option package... use GMBuyPower and see if you can find one in stock in your area (the two-tone interior for 2001 is light grey and graphite).

We purchased it because it looked just a heck of a lot more sporty/sharp than the "plain" GTP. I don't know that the Special Edition will carry any more value, but it adds $2k to the price and includes the sunroof, leather seats, and chrome wheels, along with the 2-tone interior, the hood heat extractors, and the roof fencing (which, on her white GTP, is black, and looks exceptionally sharp).

Of course, we got GMS (employee) pricing, and, coupled with the 0.9%, 60-month financing, it was a no-brainer (we originally were just looking for a GT). That also might sway your decision to look at a 2001...

--Robert
    Thanks for the input. I looked into a 2001 Special Edition. Nothing close to my area. Besides, I like the exterior color on the 2002. I'm just not sure about that "ruby red and graphite," although I haven't seen it yet. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I do.
    What color were you looking at? I noticed on Edmunds new car section that the GP is coming out with some new colors (blue-black, dark cherry and champaign beige). Were you getting one of those colors? I've been curious what the dark cherry looks like as Edmunds color samples don't seem to come out very clear. I was wondering if it was another red or if it's a purplish color.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    Do we know if this thing is going to be FWD/AWD, and what engine (3800SC or new 3.7L DOHC 24 V6) ?

I would love to see the new 5 speed auto trans, AWD, and at least 300HP ?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I have heard that the 40th anniversary Grand Prixs have not been made yet. Could be October. The Dark Cherry is the only color and its not on any other Grand Prixs. In the catalog it has the same code number as the Dark Cherry used on the 40th Anniversary Bonneville which came out in 1997. I have a friend with the Bonneville and it is more dark maroon then a shade of purple. Would think the GP should be the same. 2003 Grand Prix will be the same as the 2002 Grand Prix. The 2004 Grand Prix will be all new for the spring of 2003. This was the same way Pontiac did it with the 1988 & 1997 redesigns. I remember they came out just after the Daytona 500 so Pontiac could run the new styles in Winston Cup.
    I finally checked with a dealer. Montanafan is right -- they're not in production yet. I did pick up one of the big, fancy 2002 brochures. Pretty much the same as the 2001 brochure except not as fancy, a few different standard features and a couple new colors. The biggest change is the aforementioned 40th Anniversary Edition, which appears to be purplish maroon. Doesn't sound nice, but I gotta admit that I like it. The overall appearance is a little "over the top," but I think that I'll probably buy one. The "ruby red" interior turns out to be dark maroon. For anyone who wants to check out the special edition online, the new web page will be www.grandprix40th.com.
  • oceana142oceana142 Member Posts: 9
    Based on comments from this board and other sources, I am looking forward to picking up a 2002 Grand Prix GT next week. I plan on keeping the car for at least six years and drive about 18,000 miles per year. My question is, does getting an extended warranty make sense? I have spoken to friends relatives who vary widely in their recommendation. Some say that while it is a good idea in concept, often the part that breaks, even if it is in the transmission, is not covered. The price for the warranty is about $1,500.

Your comments are more than appreciated!
    All I can say is that I've NEVER purchased an extended warranty and, over time, am ahead of the game. Ask yourself if you had put aside $100/mo. for the entire time you've been driving, would that pay for the work you've had to have done? For me, the answer is yes and so I self-insure. Has that backfired on me? Yes - but then the next two cars have more than made up for it.

The downside of self-insurance is that a big bill COULD hit you at a time when you'd rather not have to deal with it. So, if that would be a problem for you, buy the insurance. If not, minimize your risk and buy a car with a good reliability record (like the GT) and take care of the three most expensive-to-repair components of your car (transmission, air conditioner and engine).

My $.02
    After reading all of the comments on this board and then purchasing a 2001 Grand Prix last month, I think I would trust GM to have built a quality product and not go with the extended warranty (we did not purchase one). If you had bought a Chrysler product, however, that's a different story. Even their service technicians tell you to never buy a Chrysler product without buying the extended warranty. Pathetic isn't it???? We are still in love with our dark green GT 4 door. We've had a couple of short road trips and it has brought out the teenager in my husband (vroom, vroom).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hi folks, just the old ex-GP GT owner coming back to visit again.

I have seen the posts about extended warranties, and I won't go into whether one should buy one or not, but everyone who is considering one should know that the price is very much negotiable.

You probably have much more leverage if you make it part of your deal when you are buying the car, but even after the sale, you can negotiate the price of these policies.

You might easily get one third or more of the asking price knocked off the top!

tsjay
This discussion has been closed.