Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• xavier627xavier627 Member Posts: 7
    I sent my GTP in to have to hud fixed. It dims, by itself, at night. I also had to get the the front right passenger window regulator replaced because of grease strips along the window. Futhermore, I also noticed the headlight units were shaking when I hit bumps. I'm sure I put them back in correctly and tight when I replaced the bulbs with "wannabe" HIDs. Have any of you had this problem? Let me know.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    This relates to my prior GP gas mileage post.

Rented an Intrepid with 12000 miles on it for a business trip. This trip covered part of the same route I took when I noticed a drop in highway mileage (to 25 mpg) on my 98 GP 3.8 SE. Well, the Intrepid got 25 mpg also. So I'm assuming the 25 mpg from my GP is normal but maybe is affected by a regional switch to oxygenated fuel. It also shows the 3.8 is well developed (being almost a 3rd bigger than the 2.7 but still gets the same gas mileage).

On another note...

The standard 2.7 motor on the Intrepid is a wimp compared to the 3.8. This is inspite of having a similar 200 hp rating. The 2.7 response to the gas pedal was econo class performance. The 3.8 obviously has a big torque advantage up through mid range rpms (maybe 50 ft-lbs). Makes sense since torque is a direct function of engine displacement.

At highway cruise, the 2.7 felt the same as the 3.8 in terms of holding speed or accelerating up grades. I guess things have equaled out by then.

This is interesting since the GP and Intrepid are similar cars. However, 2.7 liter Intrepids are dog meat for 3.8 GPs and even my 3.4 liter Alero. I'm gonna look up the specs on the RT Intrepid since they have 250 hp. You GTP owners worried about RT Intrepids?
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Your experience is bang on. The 2.7's torque peaks very high up there and, at that, still well below the 3.8's peaks. The Intrepid with the 2.7 basically has insufficient launching power for the car's weight. Even its 200 ponies aren't available until 5800 rpm - vs. the GP's peak at 5200.

If I had to buy an Intrepid, it'd definitely be the ES or the RT with the 3.5L engine. Far better torque & hp. I've driven both and they both have plenty of launch power. But the GTP beats either - with more hp & torque far lower down. As for gearing? GTP seems to win there too.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Test drove the new Altima yesterday and the 5 speed will eat the Regal or Grand Prix for lunch. I mean, it's not even close. I can see how Motorweek got the car to do 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds. It felt quite a bit like my brothers Porsche 911. Your head would snap back with every shift. The dealer did try to mark up the price though, telling me that the car is very much in demand. I'm going to wait to decide what to buy until March anyway. I still want to try the new six speed Maxima, which weighs about the same as the Altima, but has 15 more horsepower.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Yeah, but that's the 5-speed manual Altima vs a 4-speed automatic GTP. Something makes me think that the 4-speed automatic Altima is not going to be as peppy.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    While ago I compared 0-60 times of several different cars with manual and automatic. Get the data from Edmunds and the Microsoft car site (forgot its name).

Looks as a really good driver can save 0.5 seconds with manual. The is just a rule of thumb, of course.

The best 0-60 times for stock Regal GS and GP GTP I saw are a bit slower than 6.5 seconds. Something like 6.7 seconds. If the Altima automatic transaxle is as good as GM one, the car probably still will have an edge.

Why not, after all? Altima is year 2001 design, not 1997.5, and is substantially lighter. And Nissan knew how to build fast car, not so long ago.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    The official 0-60 number from GM for the GTP is 6.4 seconds, and some early reviews in fact quote this number. The majority of owners with G-tech (acceleration meter) or using stop watch get between 6.0 and 6.2.

The time slips from drag strips for stock GTPs are usually between 14.3 and 15.0, usually right around 14.7.

I think the reviewers must be testing either at high altitude and temperature, or using braking torquing or flooring it in drive, both of which will spin the wheels in the GTP. The best way to launch a GTP is usually to accelerate as hard as possible without wheel spin to maybe 10-15MPH than floor it.

You also have to consider street start, and 30-50 and 50-70 times where the GTP and GS truly excel. A 0-60 tun does not favor a FWD automatic car, especially one with a lot of low end torque.

A car with gobs of low end torque will not have its times improved by torque braking, which unrealistic in the real word.

I have have beat many people in stoplight showdowns that try this, or high RPM manual launches. You simply punch as soon as the light turns green, which is usually before they are done reving to launch RPM or popping the clutch/releasing brake. I did have one guy in a manual BMW 325 who actually launched before the light turn green. I still beat him across the intersection.

The GTP and GS also have wide gearing which makes then really shine in the midrange, and even low end with average drivers. A GTP doesn't shift out of first to between 45 and 52 MPH. A driver with short closer gearing may have to shift from N to 1 to 2 to 3 by 60 MPH. Many driver take half a second to get a shift off.
    I used the following data:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/buick/regal/4drgssprchgdsedan/specs.html?id=lin0066

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/pontiac/grandprix/4drgtpsprchgdsedan/specs.html?id=lin0066

The Carpoint data are even worse, 7.5 sec. for GS, and most probably they are wrong.

Otherwise I agree with you: my GS starts great from traffic lights, if I do not try hard. Otherwise it is too easy to spin wheels. And, as you wrote, the reported numbers for manual transmission are hardly acheavable by an average driver.

Am not sure, though, when my GS shifts out of the first gear. Have impression than earlier than at 45 mph.

I forgot to shift to D from 1-st once when entering a road. It was the last summer, on a vacation trip to NH, immediately after descending from the Mt.Washington - on the 1-st, naturally, to brake using engine.

The engine howled and then the gas was cut off at 4000 rpm. It happened very fast. I have impression, the speed did not reach 45 mph than, 40 mph at most.

The car manual prohibit driving at 2-nd gear at speed exceeding 55 mph. However, I have impression that "by itself", in auto mode (at "3" or "D"), the transaxle shifts out of 2-nd on higher speeds when accelerating hard. Even without using the performance mode.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    When use to leave by Regal GS (99) in first it would upshift at 5800 RPM for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I can keep the GTP (01) in 2nd to like 80MPH, including droping into 2nd at 60MPH and get a downshift.
    but the Altima does not produce as much torque as the GS or GTP. And as we all know F=ma, or a=F/a

of course the the mass is substantially smaller in the Altima, the Altima will have a chance.
    a=F/m
    We are returning to the old hat, comparing high-rev low-displacement engines vs. low-rev high-displacement ones.

The problems and solution are well known for half-century. Difference in torque can be mostly eliminated by selecting right gear ratios. Low-rev engines always win starting from full stop, 0-5 or 0-10; it is important in city driving, but mostly irrelevant on rural roads and highways.

It is easier (read less expensive) to manufacture a durable low-rev engine; on the other hand, low-displacement engine weight less.

The main difference is in taxes and custom duties. Many countries, probably most of countries, collect either car taxes, or custom duties, or the both based on displacement. And the taxes are really high, something like 20% to 100% and even 200% of the manufacturer's price. High-rev, low-displacement engines win hand down in this department.

So, global car manufacturers are forced to use low-displacement engines. Only American companies have for time being the option to ignore this aspect with cars produced for domestic market and some smaller markets like Sadis Arabia or Australia. And, with the cost of developing a new engine exceeding several billions dollars, even this option is wanishing.
  • rmyers76rmyers76 Member Posts: 34
    Hi all,

I tried searching this board for info to my questions but I am not fond of Edmunds search engine so forgive me if this has been previously covered.

I have a 2000 GP GT with 15K miles.

1. After changing the oil at 15K, I was looking for any fittings to grease under the car but could not find any. Is this correct? I am used to working on my truck which has about 10 fittings to grease.

2. I am pretty sure this vehicle has a cabin air filter but I have not attempted to locate it yet. Anyone know where they hide this thing and can I get a replacement at the auto parts store?

3. Was changing the air filter along with the oil change and thought I had better replace PCV valve. Looked up the number and the Walmart computer and bought it. I took the plastic cover off the engine and looked all around the valve covers but could not find a PCV valve. Was I had by the Walmart computer???

Thanks for the help
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I take the one I know the answer to. #2 No cabin air filter on the Grand Prix.
  • kdstankdstan Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 Daytona 500 GTP. I am planning to take the Daytona 500 decals off. Can someone tell me what the best way is to take them off without scratching the paint? Someone mentioned to me using a hair dryer then peeling take care of it.

Thanks,
    kdstan
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    There were message threads on gp-owners.com a few months back about owners discovering GP's having the exact same opening that Intrigues have (which have the air filters), but just don't have the filter in place.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Thats the way they took off stripes and decals at my friends body shop, with a heat gun. It helps if the wheater is warm also. You may have to rub off some glue residue.
  • tmhattricktmhattrick Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 Grand Prix GT and I absolutely love this car. I have always been a blue oval fan and a loyal Mustang owner. But, you can't beat the performance and economy of the 3.8 l engine. I also love the design and size of the Grand Prix.

My GP has the Bose stereo option and after driving the car for a couple of days I noticed that the engine ignition system produces a high pitch noise on the stereo that changes frequency with the engine RPMs. I know it is the stereo or amp because the noise goes away when I turn off the stereo. I can only hear the noise when the volume is low.

Does anybody out there know how to fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Please also send email to tmhattrick@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Tim
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Tmhattrick, I would take it right back to the dealer and let them fix it. That type of noise is usually caused by interference from the ignition system.
  • tmhattricktmhattrick Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding to my post. When I bring it back for it's 3000 mile checkup, I'll see if my dealer can take care of it. I was hoping that someone out there may have had this problem so I would be able to tell the dealer what needs to be done.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Where's Stnel? haven't seen any posts form her anywhere in ages. I wonder if she departed along with Iceman recently.

Ken
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I'm still around although I've been doing more reading than posting lately.

My goal each Christmas is to get all my presents bought before Thanksgiving. Not quite there yet.

Did anyone hear on the news something about have a week long period where we don't have to pay sales tax to spur shopping? That would certainly be a good time to buy a new car--if it would include cars. I can't remember if that was just statewide or nationwide. Or if I misheard the news.
    Nice to see you and I'm envious of your Christmas shopping status. I'll be out there the week before the holiday for sure.

Haven't heard of any sales tax moratorim anywhere nearby in the Northeast. I do know that NYC generally has a one week deal to entice tourists into the city sometime in Feb. With the size of NYC hotel and meals taxes that's a pretty good incentive.

Take care

Ken
  • gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    Specifically senate bill S.1643, House bill 3172.

http://murray.senate.gov/taxholiday.html

http://www.senate.gov/~snowe/sth.htm

http://www.ce.org/public_policy/tax_freedom_week.asp

One dealer told me it may get moved to Dec. 1st.

I am in Wisconsin, however, and the governor's office claims "it's sort of a dead issue".

Sen murray's office tells me it's up for consideration soon.

Follow the 3rd link and voice your support!

Thanks for those sales tax links. I'll probably send something in tomorrow to my representative to say I support it. From what I read, cars would be included.

My parents have been planning on buying a new minivan and they could save a good bit of money--if it goes through in Louisiana.
    The main problem to getting my shopping done early is if I do go to the Mall a week or so before Christmas, I find everything I bought at about half the price. But I do have the option of avoiding the Malls and sometimes the crowds aren't worth the savings!

Many people enjoy the hustle and bustle of shopping right before Christmas. It gets them into the Christmas mood--it just gets me into a bad mood.
    Have you GP owners seen the new commercial for grand Prix - a silver beauty (GT I think) that is being test driven by an active young couple (shopping, surfing, etc.)??? I sure wish they'd do something like that for the Bonneville. Be glad that GM is advertising your car well!!

Ken
  • smily1smily1 Member Posts: 104
    I have just purchased my second GTP. My first was a two door 97. Traded in for an exploder after we found out we were going to have a baby. Just Three days ago we bought a 99 four door GTP. We are thinking of installing a smaller blower pulley. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it effect mpg? Is there significant power increase? What would be the recommended size (3.0"-3.5")?

I apologize if this has been discussed already. I will search the board for more info but if anyone could tell me a post number...
    thanks.
  • stanigustanigu Member Posts: 11
    Pulling off the SC Pulley can be a difficult chore. People have had different luck. One thing is for sure: You will need a special "Pulley Puller" tool to do this. You might know all this already....

I swapped mine with 3.5". Power increase is very significant! The claim is about 30hp, but I would guess something like 20hp is more realistic. I've also changed out the exhaust and cold air induction system to help it breath. The Cold air induction is almost a must if you do a smaller pulley on your engine. You'll also hear the blower "whine" much more if you do this, but it's music to my ears.

As far as the pulley size, 3.4 to 3.5" is pretty safe bet. Go any smaller, and you'd better have other mods to compensate (e.g. headers).

Anyways, hope this bit helps.
    Thanks for the info. I was also wondering if you noticed a difference in gas mileage. What type of cold air induction did you use and where did you get it. I have looked at the grandprixstore.com site but am at a loss to locate other sites for mods. Thanks again.
  • lwh3lwh3 Member Posts: 6
    I asked earlier about getting one of these, and I finally got one. None of the dealers in my area could get one, and those in my state tended to want full sticker for theirs. I drove from Virginia Beach to Philadelphia to get one at 3% over sticker. Love the car.

As I mentioned before, I plan to keep this car forever. In light of that, I would be interested in picking up a few items for future use -- e.g., an extra set of 40th anniversary floor mats for when these wear out, etc. My local dealer says that it can't be done. I can't find anything online. Anyone have an idea?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I had a friend with the 40th Anniversary Bonneville (1997), he did the same thing with mats and emblems. Expensive compared to regular mats. May want to consider buying the Grand Prix Rubber mats or regular cloth mats for daily use and save your 40th mats for show. May also want to pick up and extra shift knob while they are available. As far as the 40th mats, have the dealer check the interior parts groups for the mats, not the accessories section, thats where my friend found the part number for his.
  • lwh3lwh3 Member Posts: 6
    You are a constant fount of info.
  • azntrinibwoy01azntrinibwoy01 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to this message board. Considering that I am really gaining informative knowledge with the kinds of reviews and postings in here, I would like to ask everyone for some advice.

Basically, I am currently seeking the purchase of a new car and have had two main ones in mind. One is the 2002 Grand Prix GTP coupe (auto). The other is the 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8t (5A).

I possess the kind of personality who like cars that are fun to drive. I currently have a 2001 Honda Civic Si and find it boring to drive.

FYI, I tend to sometimes have a heavy foot and may like to drive cars "hard" at times (i.e. not necessary rough, but you can say, "push the car").

Any suggestions? Does the cars outlined above suit my personality? If not, can you please suggest one?
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Why don't you test drive the 2 cars and then tell us what you like and don't like about them.

They are very different vehicles and don't compare well by just looking at the specs. They will have very different character. Keep in mind that the Grand Prix's 3.8 motor has really good torque that translates into instant response. I'll venture to say that the Jetta's turbo 1.8 needs to be rev'd up for it to come alive. Us Grand Prix owners are obviously biased to the big torque method of performance.

I'll also venture to say that you might be initially intimidated by the Grand Prix size. Compared to the Civic, the GP is huge and you may not feel comfortable with it during a test drive. But believe us, Grand Prixs with the 3.8 motor and ESPECIALLY the GTPs are go-fast cars.

Look out if the car you test drive has Goodyear Eagle LS tires. They are kind of mediocre and detract from the GPs handling.
    A GTP should not have Goodyear LS tires anyway. All GTPs come with Goodyear RS-A tires. They are pretty good, applicable to a wide range of situations.
    GTP blows the Jetta out of the water
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    if you travel a long way in the GLS, you might suffer from "JETta LAG" :)

Go for the Grand Prix! I had one and loved it, but got bit by the fever for a new Jeep Wrangler.

Hi to all my old buddies here. I still have my Jeep and still love it, but I definitely miss the best car I ever owned, that sweet little 2000 Grand Prix GT.

tsjay (tom)
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    While both cars are good, you will get more bang for the buck with a GTP.

Plus, you can put in a lot of usefull mods to boost performance if you need to.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    And the GP is far more reliable, according to Consumer Reports...
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Found this today on www.autoextremist.com, accompanied by some big red downward-pointing arrows:

"Pontiac. From the "Not Good" Department comes word that the '03 Grand Prix is looming to be a major disappointment. Our spies tell us that it looks like either a bloated Grand Am or an anemic Bonneville, take your pick - with an exaggerated "beak" on the front end that veers wildly toward being butt-ugly. Paging Maximum Bob... "

Dear me, Wayne Cherry strikes again. When will GM learn??

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I have seen pictures that were leaked a few months ago. Someone went to a presentation and snuck in a camera and took pictures of the next GP that were projected onto a white screen.

The damn thing looked quite ugly.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Yep, it had the Cherry touch...
    Wasn't it the GP that Lutz ordered redone because its front end looked like the dreadful Aztek's? Or so I hope... :^/
    Lutz just came in recently. The bad-looking next GP pictures leaked out a few months ago. They did not look like Aztek. Those pictures were like a Taurus' front-end with overgrown Sunfire's rear end.
    Have all the spy photos been stripped off the net? Does anyone know the stats for the power plant? I hope they dont drop the performance aspect of the gp.
    Taurus' front end and Sunfire's rear end? That the recipe for a nightmare! :^P

Do you know if its picture is still out there somewhere in the Net?

TIA
    GM went after those people who snuck out the pictures and posted them on the GP Owners forum.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    The only thing I heard Lutz ordered along those lines was a redo of the Cadillac CTS front end which Edmunds (rightly so) describes as bulldozer-like. Apparentrly Lutz sketched out a smoother, lower version and gave it to the designers, saying "make it so".

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

It's sort of the same story that I read somewhere, but it also mentioned Pontiac and some relation of that front-end to Aztek's... Now it's all shuffled up in my memory!
This discussion has been closed.