Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• madcatmadcat Member Posts: 6
    Hey everyone!!!
    Have a '00' GP. Purchased in ene of February. Fun car to drive. Like it more each day. Question? Had about 9,000 miles on it. When I would break the front end would pulse. Dealer said Pontiac had possible problem with rotors. They turned the rotors. Problem went away, now it seems to be coming back. Has anyone else had this or similar problems. Does turning the rotors now affect the life of them several years down the road? I live in the Cleveland area.
  • mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    There is a bulletin for at least the 97-99 models that covers that. I had a similar issue with my 99. Only thing was the pulse seemed to be in the back and was in fact in the front. Had to do with the front pads being too thick or something. I have the bulletin in my files at home as my dad is a GM rep. The ended up replacing the front pads and that fixed the problem permanently.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    The rotors can only be turned so many times before they become too thin. They have to be replaced after that.

If you've had them turned once and they already need it again, I would insist that they be replaced before your warranty runs out and you end up doing it at your own expense.

I went through this on my '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I traded for my Grand Prix. Many different makes of vehicles have been having rotor problems the last couple years from what I'm hearing.

I have had no such problems on my 2000 GP after 12K miles.

tsjay
    The dealer said that they would replace the rotors should the problem return. Currently the rotors seem to pulse only on occasion. Since I still have the warranty for a good while yet I will pay close attention to this problem. The only other problem with the car was that the back spoiler filled up water, and the dealer fixed that. So far the car runs great. Love its passing power.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    give it a few hard stops to make the rotors warp more and then go get new ones under warranty :)
    It happens when you are going down hill? I think it would behoove you to check out the pads and whether there is a bulletin on them.
    Hey, guys and gals, has anyone in the group or anyone you personally know of ever received compensation for oil or road tar contamination of their vehicle due to road construction?

I was driving up U.S. Highway 51 through Ramsey, Illinois, on Wednesday and got a mixture of road oil and fine aggregate (sand-like stuff) all over my car.

I absolutely could not believe what they were doing! They had both the north-bound and the south-bound lanes covered in fresh road oil and were allowing the traffic to pass right through it! They had removed the top layer of asphalt for several miles in preparation for resurfacing, and they had put down the road oil, as they always do before re-paving. I have NEVER BEFORE seen the oil put down on both lanes of a two lane road and then traffic be expected to drive right through it!!!!

If they wanted to do both lanes at once, then why didn't they close the road and detour the traffic around the site?

If they wanted to keep the road open, then why didn't they work on one lane at a time and let the traffic use the other lane???

You can imagine what my beautiful white GP GT looked like after driving several miles through road oil. I spent two-and-a-half hours with WD-40 getting as much of the crap off my car as I could. Of course, I then had to wash the whole car to get the residual WD-40 off, and now I need to wax the car, even though it hasn't been long since I paid to have the car professionally waxed.

How about it, everybody? Any similar experiences, and were you compensated?

I have e-mailed I.D.O.T., and they are investigating. Do you think there's a chance that he contractor's insurance might compensate me?

Please respond, if you have any info that might help me.

tsjay
    not sure abotu legal issues, but you might want to wash the car with Dawn and clay it.
  • koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    I would order mudflaps from Pontiac to preveent that from happening again
    That might not be a bad idea, depending, of course, on what it does for the looks of the car.

I don't remember ever seeing a GP with the mud flaps, have you ever seen one? Are they chrome or shiny like chrome?

I have a GT, so it has the ground effects moulding, and I don't see how it would look very good with any kind of mud flaps.

I would like to see a GT that has them to check out the looks.

Thanks for your suggestion.

tsjay
    I don't think i've seen one with them before, but I'm sure Gm's aftermarket division could get you some if you were interested. Hey, has anyone seen the new SE? I'm kinda mad that Pontiac put the GT AND GTP's front end on it cause now you can't tell them apart. I wonder if the SE wasn't too popular with that look and that's why they did it.
    You can order mudflaps on line. You can purchase them at any autoparts store. They are the same kind any dealer sells but cost less. The standard mud flaps should work. Body molded ones might not fit well. I have not seen a GP with them on yet. I have a 2000 GP and am thinking about installing mud flaps. I think the car will still look good. Flaps do provide additional protection to the car. They should cost about $12.00 for two (2) of them. We can be the trend setters here.
    Mud flaps come in different types. Some are all black. Others are chrome. Some are black with the words Pontiac written on the bottom part. Check out some autoparts stores to see for yourself.
  • bdstriebdstrie Member Posts: 18
    Hey fellas and ladies:

I'm having intermittant transmission difficulties...don't know if they're problems...yet, maybe you can help.

Occasionally, as my GP shifts from gear to gear, it jumps--violently--especially going from 1st to 2nd gear.

It only does this about twice a month, and if I park it, and let it sit for a few minutes, the next time I drive it, the transmission is smooth again.

Anybody have any similar experiences? Is this something that needs immediate attention, or can it wait until my next oil change (October)? Thanks everybody!
  • electricblueelectricblue Member Posts: 21
    Hi everyone - hi tsjay!! Yep!! Still loving the bonnie!! And no, you don't need to get a life...the people in the Bonnie room REALLY need to get a life - there's this one guy, he posts everyday, and sometimes it's 4 to 5 times...now THAT'S bad...hehe But heck, maybe he's lonely and only has his car to give him company ;) Anywho, everythings great, no complaints, driving everywhere, etc.. I was however, talking to a man at my husbands company picnic over the weekend - he used to own a mechanic shop...he was telling me that he had a lot of GP's in for brake problems. (that's for the person who was having brake problems) I don't know if it's been corrected, but he said that in the manual (or maybe it was GM that said it?) they said you have to put your emergency brake on once a day (I know, it sounds far-fetched to me, but who knows?)..he said if you don't do it from the start, you'll have problems...and you can't just start doing it later because it won't help...I don't really know this guy, so, I don't know if it's true or not. Just thought I'd share it, just in case!! Everyone have a great day!! Talk to you soon!! :)
    It is always a good idea to use your parking brake. If you are on an incline and put your car in Park, the only thing that keeps it from rolling is a steel pin in the tranny.

With older GP designs, when they used drum brakes, it was actually good for the brakes to set the parking brake - it automatically readgusted the brakes.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I've seen some of the mileage firgures posted here. I've got 34K on my 2K GTP (yes, I drive a lot...about 1K mi/week). Lots of highway. I rarely am able to test only "in-town" mileage. At best, I can only observe in-town/highway mix. The lowest I've ever got was 18MPG when the car was new in a mix of driving. The best I've got, straight highway, flat rodes was 31MPG doing about 75MPH the whole way with the a/c and cruise on. On average (according to the DIC) I get between 22-23 MPG in mixed driving.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    My GF has a '99 GTP w/supercharger (it is a coupe but that forum seems empty). Does she have to use premium gas? I know many cars can compensate for the lower octane (with a reduction in performance) , but I am wondering if anyone here knows how her Grand Prix will do on mid range or even regular.

There was just a report that only 13% of gas purchases are premium (I think she contributes quite a bit to the statistic) and also that out of GMs 25 engines only one requires premium (guess this must be the one).

I drive an 11 year old import so we don't exactly agree on car issues but the $ she is spending for premium is causing problems.

Thank you
    do what the manual says. Premium. GTP's engine will compensate by reducing performance, but in the long run, do you want to have an engine with carbon deposits from premature ignition?

If you want to save on gas - sign up for the www.priceline.com gas program. I have been saving 20 cents per gallon.
    Hey, have you ever noticed all the people in the Bonneville forum want to upgrade their cars and put high peformance parts in them? They don't even talk about the car, I wonder why.
    I think my GT's overall average for all driving would be about 24.5 to 25.0 mpg, but I do very little in-town driving. What few miles I do drive in town are the absolute worst for gas mileage, however- extremely short trips, three cold starts per work day, and idling in fast food drive-thru's. It doesn't take much of this kind of driving to really mess up gas mileage.

The best I've ever done on pure highway, as I posted earlier, is 31.5 mpg (driving strictly the speed limits). The next best checks have been: 30.6 twice, 30.0 once, and 29.9 twice. The worst I've ever done on pure highway was probably still over 28.0.

tsjay
    a lot of people who get a car with the supercharged 3.8L engine tend to make upgrades because these engines can be easily and inexpensively whipped to produce much more power.

The best upgrade the Bonneville owners can do however is to trade their Bonneville for a Grand Prix GTP. :)
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Thanks ruski but I do know how to read an owners manual. What I am looking for is someones actual experience using a grade other than premium in their GTP. If only 13% of gasoline sales are premium and it is a fact that people are not buying it, someone has to have some experience. Or does everyone just deplete their bank accounts every fill up?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    does everyone just deplete their bank accounts every fill up?

The premium gas usually costs 20 cents more, then the regular one. This translates to about $2.5 difference at fuel pump. What bank account?

Given the GTP owner could afford extra $1500 for the supercharged engine, and can afford $200-250 yearly for more expensive insurance and property taxes, he probably can also afford some $200 per year for the right gas.
    OK, here is a story for you. My wife drives my GTP once in a while. She told me once that she had been filling it with 87 octane because she had seen this show on TV where they said that premium gas was a rip-off, not worth it, and did not make any difference in performance.

I actually did notice that on some days my GTP did not feel as powerful as it should have. Now I know - those were the days with 87 octane courtesy of my wife.

I don't think that she did too much damage, but still my GTP does not achieve the same high levels of fuel economy as other GTP drivers get on a regular basis. Makes me wonder.
    Sometimes after a long high speed drive, when I get into city traffic, my engine kind of growls in a strange way. Again, makes me wonder.

If you are so concerned about gas prices (who is not nowadays) - go to www.priceline.com, you will not regret it. I am getting premium for less than posted price on 87.
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    Carguy - the reason the manual specifically states premium fuel is because of the higher compression caused by the supercharger. Why would you want to go cheap on this? Why would you even contemplate taking a risk for long term durability (i.e. carbon deposits) just so you can save a few dollars?

If this is the case - why did you bother getting a GTP and not just a GT?
    I saw a 2001 Grand Prix today at the dealer downtown. It was awesome, it was blue with a silver/ black interior (the new two tone for 2001) When I saw the cool new wheel design, I thought hmm, I wonder if this is the one with 300 horsepower. Then I saw the steering wheel and said, IT'S A 2001! It had the neat manual dual zone air controls. I looked in the wheel wells too, and it looked like the plastic lining really dampened sound, it was thick and covered the whole wheel well. It had the standard temperature/ compass display in the rearview mirror too, great feature. GP ROCKS!!! :)
    they lifted the dual zone temp control from the Aztek. I wish they did the same with the instrument cluster. My 1998 GTP has dual zone automatic climate control with two round knobs. I can't figure out why they decided to go with manual temperature control this time, albeit dual zone.

Was that the 3-spoke wheel design or 15-spoke? I don't think I like that 3-spoke style at all.
    Ruski, yep I know that they lifted it from the Aztek :) They also lifted the steeering wheel from the Aztek. The wheel design was from the new pace car replica, which I think is the 3-spoke design. I've never heard of the 15-spoke design, what does it look like?
    and the Aztek's steering wheel was lifted from the new Bonneville.

The 15-spoke wheels look like this:
    (picture taken from Wieck image database)

and the interior of Special Edition GTP
    Where did you get those pictures of the Gand Prix special edition? (what website that is) You're absolutely right, the aztek's steering wheel was pulled from the Bonneville :)
    Thanks so much for the links and information, it has been really helpful and informative. :)
    you can find more at www.grandprix.net and www.gp-owners.com
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    I agree with you about the three spoke wheels. Not my cup of tea. I do kind of like the fifteen spoke ones however, something different.
    Where did everyone go? No ones been talking for awhile
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    My 98 SE with Good Year LS, 16" rims and 22,000 mi won't get through this winter in the northeast and won't be any good next year in the rain. I was hoping to buy 4 hi-tech snows on rims for this winter but not if I will have to buy summer tires in the spring anyway.

I'll put 4 Michelin X-ones on near Thanksgiving or sooner depending on when the snow flys and run them for a year and then decide if a set of hi-tech snows is in the budget for next winter.

Anybody able to run the Good Year LS much longer than 25,000 miles?
    I know someone who's GT has 70,000 miles on the tires
    I have a friend with a Bonneville with Goodyear LS tires that has 40k on them now and they are still looking fine as far as tread goes.
  • sunfgtsunfgt Member Posts: 40
    If the supercharged engine is nothing more than the 3800 with a supercharger on it, then one ought to be able to use regular with it if boost is never used. Then again, which GTP owner would never use boost? I suspect that if one only used a moderate amount of boost, then midgrade fuel may work, but I'm sure most GTP people like the supercharger a lot, so Pontiac recommends premium. Then for Ruski, there's 94 octane :)
  • sunfgtsunfgt Member Posts: 40
    How are you managing to only get around 25,000 miles on Eagle LS? Short of peeling out at every light, I think that there's something wrong with them. You should see if there's some kind of treadwear warranty or guarantee for them. I've gotten 75,000 km so far on Eagle RS-A and I'm looking to get 100,000 out of them if I can keep my acceleration and cornering nice and gentle (probably not going to happen).
    If the supercharged engine is nothing more than
    the 3800 with a supercharger on it, then one ought to be able to use regular with it if boost is never used.

1. The supercharged engine is a modifyed 3800: beefed, with different compression ratio, etc.

2. the supercharger always boost the engine. Even at low rpm. This provides strong torque from stop - signal lights, etc.

Supercharger is different than turbo. Both pump extra air, but supercharger is a simple (belt-driven) air pump, not an exhaust-gas turbine.
    Thank you!
    actually the supercharger does not always provide boost at low RPMs - there is a bypass valve for that. Strong torque from stop is achieved by pressing the gas pedal hard - it closes the valve and boost is quickly created.

No matter what, I will still recomment against using non-premium fuel in this car. The engine is modified to operate on premium.

Also if you get a GTP and never get into boost (pretty hard to do that), you should have bought an SE with 3.8L or a GT.
    There was a Jaguar S-Type 4.0 (8 cylinder) on the highway in front of me. Whenever there was an opening on the road, he would make sure to floor it (I saw some light smoke briefly coming out of his tail pipes). I was able to stay right behind him. Then this really long stretch of road opened and we were already doing 65-70mph. He accelerated hard and actually started slightly pulling away from me. I think my tranny did not shift down enough (was probably busy admiring the Jag :)

Funny - his exhaust smelled like Connoly leather :)
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    From my test drives of GTP and Lincoln SC V8 (same driveline as Jag SType), you should have been able to stay with the Jag (if you have a GTP. I've never driven a GT.)
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    How does it feel like to dust all these 'High Class' cars of the Rich and Famous?
    I think the Jag's V8 has more power than the same engine in the Lincoln LS8. Just like the V6 in the S-Type is more powerful than the same engine in the LS6.
    Have you ever taken your GTP to the dragstrip? I went last night and ran mine a few times. Was just curious to see how it would do. It was pretty warm and humid out, but it still ran a 15.7 @ 87mph.
    that was your Regal, right?

I have never taken my GTP, maybe I should before the lease is over.
    Yeah it was my Regal. I think you should go, it's really a lot of fun. It's really fun watching other cars go down the track as well. There usually is an interesting mix of cars and trucks there. Anything from a pro-street Chevelle with a 600CID+ engine, to a Ford Focus could be there. The night I was there, there was a middle aged man running his full size 1975 Chevy truck down the track. The best he could do was high 18's. I also saw a snow mobile run 9's! Very interesting indeed.

I was sort of disappointed with my time until I watched a few Impala SS's and a Thunderbird Super Coupe go down the track. The Impala's could only muster mid 15's, and the Thunderbird couldn't get below 16 flat. Unfortunately we didn't see any Grand Prix's go down the track.
This discussion has been closed.