Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I'm not the biggest Pontiac fan out there but I think the new Grand Prix is better than a Kia, a Tarus, or a Malibu. The Grand Prix lacks the interior of the Accord and maybe even the Camry. The looks of the Accord and Camry don't do anything for me though. The Accord's of the 90's were pretty good looking to me. The new ones I can't say the same about.

I like the look of the Altima but the interior is what turns me off.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    maybe they got sued for the child door locks or they are just cutting costs.

I find child locks to be annoyances....somebody will accidentally set one and then you get in back and get trapped.
  • etcbetcb Member Posts: 42
    I thought this was a Pontiac newsgroup? What's all this talk about Nissans and Hondas? Let me change the subject. I am a proud owner of a 04 Grand Prix and love it. I sold my 02 Volkswagen Passat. I loved that car as well. There must have been something about the GTP that lured me away. The Pontiac brings back a the good ole feeling of the push rod motor. No more worring about breaking timing belts! The best thing about my new GM was the price. GTP loaded for 25K! Plenty of bang for the buck! I get plenty of comments! Nice car......

MO
    Color: Graystone Metalic
    Engine: 260 hp supercharged 3800
    Custom spolier and exhaust tips (Round + chrome)
    Comp G package
    HUD
    17' wheels
    Heated leather!
    Monsoon Sound system with 6 CD changer
    Refelctive side and rear labels.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    reg : I agree, child locks suck.

gunit : CR is crap for car ratings. Take it all with a grain of salt.

etcb : Congrats, sounds like a sweet ride.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I've driven and owned a lot of vehicles since I got my learner's permit. I am on my second new GP and also bought a used 96 GP I ran for a while. I loved/love driving each one. Yes, there are some more "refined" midsizers, but the overall package is fine for me. All have been very reliable. Both my wife and I typically put 20k-25k miles on each of our primary vehicles a year. I would have waited for a 2004, except I got such a super deal on the 2003 GT.
    The back seat isn't the greatest., but having ridden in the back seats of camrys, accords, intrepids, altimas, malibus, impalas, taurus, optima, sables, regals, mazdas, outbacks, L300, volvos, rx300, jeeps... I'm not fond of any of them. Thank God for boosters seats or I'm sure the daughter would let me know.
    AS for CR, I quit reading them a long time ago as their bias' seem too obvious. Their auto reliability reports have not mirrored my auto reliability experiences since the early eighties.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    It has always been my contention that CR's reliability ratings are not very reliable. I think that a lot of it is influenced by the fact that it is an owner-reported survey and as such it gets influenced by people's biases. For example, Honda owners will always say how great their cars are regardless of the fact that they just dropped $600 on "routine service" that replaced parts before they had a chance to break. My experience with Japanese cars has not been any different from that with American cars - in fact, my domestics have always been trouble-free for the most part. Maybe I've just been lucky, I dunno.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Me also. I had a 91 Cavalier which supposedly was a "horrible car" but it ran 140K+ and 8 years with one issue ( a ruptured hose ). Biggest issue wasn't mechanical, it was the doors which were rusting. That said our 92 Accord had worse rusting. CR's sample sizes aren't always very big either.
    Rusting seem to be a problem with Honda's in the 80's/early 90's. Honda get better with that when the 94 Accord was released.

Rusting on the doors on an American Car? I never have heard of that. Maybe its from all the salt on the road when it snows. Salt on the road if you own a certain car for a long time the salt starts eating away at the paint.
    If you close to the beach(NJ,MD)salt from the water can affect your cars paint from what I hear.
    All car makers are MUCH better with rusting these days. Hyundias seem to be the worst though.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    All car makers are MUCH better period. Compare any car to 20 years ago and they are light years ahead. I think GM has made some of the biggest strides. They HAD to.

Sure, the 04 Grand Prix has its downfalls. But I find myself loving to drive this car more and more every day. If I had a Camaccord, I'd probably be ready to trade it in already due to boredom.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I was renting an 04 Grand Prix GT this weekend, and I enjoyed the car - but wow did it lurch back and forth on acceleration and braking. I liked the front seats, I liked loping along at 1500rpms on the freeway - the traction control didn't seem to keep the front wheels from spinning in the rain (I tested it a few times).
    Today, I peeled my first rubber in my 04 GTP. Oh that sweet smell of burning rubber! Having too much fun!

CB :)
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    From my experience, GM's traction control is more about keeping the car going in the intended direction than absolutely avoiding spinning by applying the brakes selectively, except if it spins too much and for over a couple of seconds, when the engine is finally throttled... I like it this way, some don't.
  • tateostateos Member Posts: 36
    We just bought a 2004 GTP with the Comp G package and every possible option except block heater. It is Fusion Orange Metallic - you either love it or hate it. We think it goes well with the local terrain here in the desert in Phoenix. We love the car so far - of course we do, we have had it less than a week! The biggest surprise is the satellite radio. We got the Monsoon Stereo option, didn't feel the need for the satellite radio ($325), but it was on the car we wanted, so we got it. We are so impressed with the sound quality. I thought the advantage of the satellite radio was 100+ channels, many commercial free, and that is true, but the difference in sound quality vs, FM is astounding. I think we will continue the service at $10/month after the free 90 days are up.

Richard Moore
    Welcome to the club! The Orange grows on you.. It definetly stands out in the crowd. Have you noticed the rattle from the rear when the Monsoon is cranked? I've been meaning to talk with the dealer about it.

Congrats on the new car. From what I hear, most people who listen to XM get hooked. That's why the 90 day trial is in there.

;-)
    My wife picked out the FOM color for the Grand Prix. I have received so many compliments on the car. It really stands out in the crowd. I have yet to see another GP in this color on the highway, only on dealer's lots.

I may get some chrome wheels in the future to make the car stand out even more.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    No, we haven't noticed it, but we have only driven the car a couple times - 200 or so miles.

What kind of gas are most of you running - regular, like they say is OK, or premium like they recommend? Has anyone tried both and noticed a difference?

Also, midlifecrisis: which model do you have? I too like chrome wheels, and have them on my Eldorado Touring Coupe, but the chrome wheels didn't seem to be available with the GTP with Comp G package - it was either/or. I like the wheels this car came with, even if they aren't chrome - especially since they were at no additional cost (beyond the GTP & Comp G additional cost). But of course there is nothing quite like chrome!

Thanks to those that sent congrats
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    I sat in a previous generation and found it to be tolorable. Everyone says the new Grand Prix is smaller.
    Does anyone find the '04 backseat comfortable?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Well, I find it is the reason I didn't buy an 04.

I owned a 98 GTP. I can't stand the back seat in the new one, and won't be subjecting passengers to it. It is too small, hard, and there is virtually no head room. The second version of it (yes, it has already been changed) is better than the first, but still not a comfortable place for anyone over, say, 5 foot 6. Just my impressions. I carry adult passengers frequently, I MUST have a good back seat.
    I took two co-workers to a holiday lunch yesterday in my GP. While it isn't the greatest, no one complained about the seating, and these guys were not small people. If you ask me, there are very few sedans that have truly comfortable back seats. I sat in the back seat of a Chrysler Concorde and was very cramped as well.

I spend 95% of the time alone in the car. And the driver's seat is VERY comfy!
    Back seat of our Intrigue is pretty good, better than the GP BUT we don't get the fold flat feature which I think I would almost rather have as some things I have tried to put in the car have not fit by just a tiny bit. I guess you pay a bit for the feature in seat comfort but I'm not sure if there is another sedan to compare with in that respect.
    We had read about the bad back seats on the '04s, so tried them in the dealership - yes, they are not too hot, but we don't really care, as it's only two of that use the car. Also, as dindak says, the fold flat feature is more important to us.

Interestingly, the back seats in out Eldorado are VERY comfortable, once you get in there, which is not that easy. Getting out is even harder. Still, my 70-something Dad insists on sitting in the back when he comes to visit us in AZ. He loves it back there. Of course, they don't fold down, or even have a pass through feature. Life is full of compromises.

What oil are most of you with the supercharged engine using? My friend with a Regal with the same engine uses sythetic, as he feels the supercharger adds a lot of stress on the engine. I have always used conventional oils with no problems, even in a turbocharged engine. I feel the supercharged engine is beefed up to take whatever additional stress the supercharger causes, but am still considering using synthetic. Any opinions?
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    if the Grand Prix is supposed to be "full-size" and is larger than the upcoming G6, does that mean the G6 will have an even smaller backseat!?! Makes me wonder...
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    It all depends on the roofline.
  • erin558erin558 Member Posts: 1
    Hey etcb--

Where and how did you get a loaded GTP for 25K? Around here they are 31-32K?
    I work for EDS which qualified me for the GMS price, plus all the manufacturers rebates. In all it was worth about 6K in discounts. Even without the GMS I still think you can get it for somewhere between 27-28 easy! Deal tough and be ready to walk out!

For anyone currently shopping for a GP:

We bought our 2004 GTP (with Comp G) a week ago, with every option except except block heater, sticker was $30,765, we paid $250 under invoice, another dealer was willing to sell for $500 under invoice, but didn't have the Fusion Orange Metallic color we wanted.

So, sticker was $30,765, we paid $20,700 after:
    $2,500 rebate,
    $500 Comp G rebate,
    $665 leather seat dealer incentive,
    $750 24 hr. test drive rebate,
    $3,500 GM Mastercard rebate,
    and the discount the dealer applied (am I forgetting anything?)

Another FYI:

We had the car tinted yesterday - a must here in Phoenix. The Pontiac manual recommends no tinting be applied to the rear window. It also states that metallic film applied to the rear window could interfere with the antenna in the rear window and affect radio reception. Well, they are right - the AM reception is now very poor, although FM seems OK, and of course the satellite radio is outstanding.

Anyone come up with a way to get those ugly stickers off the leather back seat?

RM
    Regarding the latest supercharger found in our 260 HP 2004 GTPs:

"As a result, the Gen V operates at considerably higher efficiency than its predecessors. At wide open throttle, the Gen V turns at 700 fewer rpm (a 9 percent reduction), draws 13 percent less power from the crankshaft, decreases operating temperature 15 percent and increases volumetric efficiency 9 percent. For the customer, that means a 9 percent increase in horsepower (see product specifications), and best-in-class acceleration times for the Grand Prix. Moreover, the 3800 Series III SC does not require premium fuel, and even with regular it produces as much power as the Series II. A Grand Prix owner might use regular for workweek commuting, then fill with premium for more spirited, enthusiast-style driving on the weekend."

It seems like the new supercharger is what's responsible for the 20HP increase this year.

The link to the full article is below, then scroll 2/3 down page to:

"What's new or changed (L32)"

(Copy and paste this link into your browser)

http://media.gm.com:8221/division/powertrain/products/engine/carengines/04_car_engine_specs.html#l32

RM
    20K What a steal! Sweet Ride! Enjoy
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    what would be a good comparison between the Maxima SE and the Grand Prix Comp G??
    After my first 3K I had the dealer put in 5W-30 Mobile 1 Synthetic and Purlator filter. Only the best for my GTP. Then I will do an oil change every 7-8K

My son backed into my GTP and took off some paint and push out my front lens. I had my local body guy fix me up. He took the front bumper completely off and repainted it and realign my lens. All for 300.00 and did it all in one day! When the front bumper was off, I took a look and didn't find much there. In case anyone is courious, the most noticable feature was the metal bars that span across the front of the vehicle which are fixed to the frame. Not much else to see.

CB
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Although living in TX, I don't think it does much of a difference in the summer and I don't like its looks. I got a used Intrigue that had it and I'm wondering if it's cheap and risk-free to remove it, particularly on the rear window.

BTW, now I know why the radio reception sucks on this car...
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    the January 2004 issue of Popular Mechanics has a pretty good article on removing window film and bumper stickers etc... spray with light ammonia and use a cut garbage bag to keep the window film wet for a while... see page 111 for details.
  • racer17vracer17v Member Posts: 6
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but you are not alone. Wrecked my GTP Saturday night in the snow... just made me sick to my stomach. All in all it's not too bad, but I've only had it for about 3 months and I can't believe it happened. I need a front bumper cover and a driver's side mirror and door skin. I didn't even leave the house Sunday! ETCB- how did yours come out? I just hope I can't tell what happened, I feel like I have a dark cloud over my head.
  • lupuslupus Member Posts: 1
    Great car,getting used to firm ride,back seat poor

but we dont use much.Fold down feature nice.Stick to C&D and R&T for car tests,CR should stick to toasters and washers. Welooked at04 Malibu but could not get past its slab sided ugliness,maybe designed by the truck division.We traded in a 01 Impala for the GT.
    I'm happy with my repair. The damage wasn't as bad as yours. The paint is a tad dull. WHen the weather is better, Ill bring it back to get buffed out. Hope your turns out alright. It amazing what a good body shop can do.

CB
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, please, if you have a problem with a posted message, just email the host of the discussion. Replying only makes the situation worse (and the host's job harder).

Thanks.
  • nseidlnseidl Member Posts: 2
    I left the house in a hurry this morning, not having had any coffee, and I caught the passenger side mirror of my 2002 GTP on the side of the garage doorway breaking it almost totally off. Does anyone have an idea of how difficult/costly of a repair this is? Although the glass mirror and mechanism are not damaged, I'm assuming I can't get just the housing. I'd much rather just order a new mirror and handle it myself than go through the hassle of taking it into the dealership.

Going to have that coffee now...

Thanks.
  • ctl1ctl1 Member Posts: 18
    My previous ride was a 98 GTP and I did exactly the same thing. You are correct in assuming the mirror and housing come bundled together. Also, it comes unpainted. I had my dealer's body shop do the work and I think it cost around $300. If you do it yourself, after you buy the mirror and have it painted, you'll only be able to save the labor of installation. Good luck and hope this helps.
    Hi, for those of you that own a grand prix 2004 (I hope to be amoung you soon!) I have a quibble...
    Bob Lutz glorified the interrior of the car prior to its release, saying it would be an example of how GM is committed to better interrior materials and quality.
    Th auto mags generally disagree. In fact, oneof them said that even with the leather option, the rear seats are Vynal! (It was Ed, C/d ,R/T or MT I forget now, sorry) pretty sure it was C/D.
    What do you think about the 2004 Grand Prix interrior??? Are the panels in place, are the materials to your satisfaction, are the dam rear seats Vynal?????
    Thanks.
    Biggest complaints about the interior seem to be too much hard plastic and poor back seats. Leather I saw was good but I did not look closely at the back seat leather. I personally like the interior except for the door handles and the bubble at the top of the center stack which is a bit out there. Otherwise it's pretty nice I think. Mew Malibu seems to be a bit better overall though and it has a better back seat and more leg room if you can believe that.
    Don't worry, its all leather!! Who needs back leg room anyhow. I know is the driver's seat has plenty of room!! Anyhow, who's driving from the back seat anyhow. And if anybody complains to me about not having enough room in the back can walk! PS. If it's leg room you want buy a mini van
    etcb you 'da man!
    The seating areas are leather, the spaces between them and the headrests are all vinyl. Next time push into the material with your finger, and you'll notice the difference in how it wrinkles.

I am VERY happy with my leather interior. The controls and the steering have a very solid feel to them. The front doors shut with a solid sound. The rear doors are a little more tinny.
    I own a 2004 GTP with leather, and agree with the previous 4 posts. I do especially hate those ugly darn stickers on the back seat - something to do with infant seats. Anyone figure out a way of removing the stickers without cutting or damaging the upholstery?
    About those back seat stickers.. I'm work'n on it. Anybody experiencing rattles from the rear speakers. It's becomes especially annoying when the radio is on medium vol and the EQ is set to ROCK. Maybe the speakers are to close to the rear glass which is causing feedback? Or maybe the speakers are not sized correctly for the monsoon amp?
This discussion has been closed.