Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    How many of the problem Chrysler vehicles were purchased new by the current owners?
        My 1970 Dodge van was purchased new and was the worst vehicle I have owned. However, I kept it 6 years and the 76 VW Bus that replaced it for only 4 years. My 1999 Tracker was purchased new and had repeat problem with bearings in rear axle so I traded it off and got the 2001 Blazer. Still driving the 93 Ford F-150.
        I think a 96 or 97 Chrysler vehicle with major problems is NOT worth spending any more money on major repairs. Get rid of it. A 96 or 97 Chrysler product has virtually no resale value.
    Since you got a 4 cyl based on Consumer Reports bad advice, maybe you should sue Consumer Reports for unreliable product (Consumer Reports recommendation to get a 4 cyl instead of V6).
        Suzuki has sued Consumer Reports for damages done claiming Consumer Reports rigged a test to make the Suzuki Samarai appear unsafe and then warning people not to buy it.
  • jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    You've got a good point. The problem is that the van has only 53K on it and I hate to give up on such a low mileage vehicle (although about 1/4 of those miles are trips to and from the dealer.)

The big question is should I still consider the car a 1996 van? Sure, the body is 1996, but all the mechanicx vary in age from 1997 to 2003. On average, its probably a 2000 car :)

Seriously though, if I get rid of this car, I need to get a reliable second car. By reliable, I probably mean new (and under warrenty) and cheap--some sort of small cheap sedan.

What kind of small sedan should I get?
    ...when did I become a resident of the state of Israel?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check your address in your profile - it says you live there and the flags pop up according to that address field.

Steve, Host
    Don't know how that happened, but I think I fixed it. I guess everything is Kosher now.
    Maybe it'll take a while to refresh/reindex, but nothing looks changed in your profile. Yet ...

Steve, Host
    Best bet would be a basic Toyota ECHO without the very expensive Toyota options. The basic Honda Civic costs considerably more.
        Some people brag about Hyundai and Kia entry level sedans with a very low price and best new vehicle warranty in the business. However, Hyundai and Kia are notorious gas guzzlers in EPA fuel economy ratings.
        Based on your experience, you should not get another Chrysler product. I have a friend who got a new VW Rabbit that had so many problems he got rid of it after 9 months and just over 10,000 miles and says he will never own another Volkswagen.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    We really should take this someplace more appropriate, like maybe the Low-End Cars board, but the comment re "Hyundai and Kia are notorious gas guzzlers in EPA fuel economy ratings." is so erroneous I had to comment. Hyundai and Kia are on par with almost all other cars in their class, particularly for the category that is under discussion--cheap sedans. There are a few exceptions, e.g. the ECHO gets better mpg than the Accent and Rio, and the Civic and Corolla get better mpg than the Elantra. But otherwise the Hyundai and Kia models are comparable in mpg to others in their class. hansienna, if you would like to provide some facts to back up your contention of "notorious gas guzzlers" please do so, for example, what other small cars far exceed the Accent, Rio, and Elantra in mpg besides the ECHO, Civic, and Corolla?
    I haven't skimmed this board, but there's got to be some gems in it:

Hyundai: Consumer Reports loves them!

Steve, Host
    But since the subject has been brought up, the Neon 5 Speed is rated 29/36 which exceeds Accent, Rio, and Elantra 5 Speed. The VW Golf GREATLY exceeds them at 34/45 with 4 AT and 42/49 with 5 Speed Manual. However, I would not have a diesel.
        Since this is a minivan forum, the Kia Sedona at a paltry 15/20 is very much a gas guzzler compared to the Caravan 21/27 with 4 cyl, the Caravan 19/26 with 3.3L V6 that has comparable power to the Sedona 3.5 L V6, and even the more powerful, much more spacious Grand Caravan with 3.8L V6 rated 18/25.
        Look at the more spacious Odyssey 3.5L with more power than the Sedona and rated 18/25 and the more spacious 2004 Sienna with more power than the Sedona and rated 19/27.
        Hyundai and Kia gas mileage is poor for the size engines offered in any Hyundai or Kia. However, Hyundai and Kia do provide a good warranty on paper....but reading in forums for the 2 brands indicates many dealers take too long getting the parts to honor the warranty.
    ...and about the same distance per quart of oil :)
    :)
    This IS a minivan board, and besides it is worthless trying to have a discussion with someone who think's it's fair to compare the mpg of a diesel car to that of a gas-powered car, or who makes blanket generalizations (also non-true generalizations) based on skimpy evidence (BTW, I read the same boards). Back to Caravans.
    The Caravan has more interior space than the Kia Sedona, gets much better gas mileage, and has fewer reliability problems for 2002 than does the 2002 Kia Sedona according to pages 93 and 96 of April 2003 Issue of Consumer Reports.
        The much larger Grand Caravan has the same EPA fuel economy rating as does the regular Caravan that has more interior space than the Kia Sedona.
       The Caravan has all red circles but 3 which are red half circles while the Sedona has 3 red half circles and one plain circle.
       For the BEST reliability, get either the Toyota Sienna with all red circles but 1 or the Honda Odyssey with same reliability. Sienna with more power rated 19/27 while Odyssey with the MOST power rated 18/25.
       Is the information in the EPA Model Year 2003 Fuel Economy Guide and April 2003 Consumer Reports considered "skimpy evidence"?
    No, "...but reading in forums for the 2 brands indicates many dealers take too long getting the parts to honor the warranty" is skimpy evidence, IMO, because I follow the Hyundai and Kia boards closely and don't see the problem you noted.

Could we please get back to Caravans here, for Caravan owners like me and others interested in Caravans, and stop trying to make this a comparison board? There are already other Edmunds.com boards for comparisons where you can post erroneous information such as the claim that the '02 Caravan and Grand Caravan have better reliability records per CR than does the Kia Sedona. The charts in their 2003 Annual Auto Issue clearly show the Caravan has a Below Average record, the Grand Caravan is Average (as is the Sedona), but overall (see p. 87) the Sedona tops both the Caravan and GC in predicted reliability. Also, the MPV vitually ties the Sienna and tops the Odyssey by a large margin in predicted reliability per CR. If you are going to quote a reference like CR, please try to post accurate information, for the benefit of people who look to these boards to help them make buying decisions.
    Just go count the full red circles, half red circles, and empty red circles on pages 93 and 96 for the year 2002 which is the ONLY year one can compare since Sedona has no other history.
        IF a poster owns a Caravan, why is it not listed in the poster's profile?
        I believe Dodge minivans are not as reliable as Toyota and Honda. Problems posted in Edmunds problems forums do not support the idea that late model Dodge minivans are not reliable.
        Many friends who own Dodge minivans tell me they are reliable with very few problems.
    My '99 GCS has been pretty reliable, with just a few problems over 4+ years: O2 sensor, battery failure (at 30,000 miles), and either a broken idler arm or serpentine belt at 42,000--hard to tell which broke first. Plus a few recalls, which were taken care of with minimal fuss by my dealer. Overall a positive ownership experience, especially due to the great ride, handling, and comfort of the van. But I will probably not get another one when my lease is up early next year, not so much for reliability but because several other vans have surpassed it since '99. In particular I really want a fold-away rear seat next time; that rear seat is pretty heavy to lug in and out of the van, even with the rollers.

As for why my GCS is not in my TH profile, you'd have to ask the TH people about that, as to why they only allow one vehicle to be listed. My Elantra is my daily driver, so I list that one. The GCS is my wife's daily driver; I get to drive it on weekends, vacations etc. Since you asked me about this, I guess it's fair to ask you why you're interested in this board since you've never owned a Caravan and apparently have no plans to buy one, based on your TH profile.

BTW, CR has made it easier for readers to figure out which vehicles are more reliable than others in their estimation than having to "count circles." They sum it all up for us in bar charts, which I referred to earlier. They also have check marks (or not) at the bottom of each vehicle for each year to indicate whether it's Below Average (blank), Average (black check), or Above Average (red check). I personally don't know why you insist on "counting circles" rather than just reading CR's assessments using the bar charts and check marks, but if that's your thing and you think you can come up with a reliability picture reading the circles better than CR can by using its raw data, go for it. But I prefer to use CR's assessment of their data vs. yours.
    You can add more about your fleet in the "And here's some more about me:" section of your profile.

As I mentioned in the "main" Caravan discussion, my brother's '00 Caravan just got driven 5,500+ miles on a road trip (out here to Boise & back) and he's got over 60,000 miles on it now. No problems so far!

Steve, Host
    This thread is deader than a 7-year old Dodge!
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I guess the DC vans have really gotten better when no one reports any problems...
    Could be tomtomtom--but I'm still b*ing and moaning about my 1996 lemon.
  • brainteabraintea Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Voyager has been a most pleasant family vehicle. Even with the slightly underpowered 3.0 liter engine, the performance and amenities have given us a fine car for daily use, and a few sizeable road trips. We operate the car with respect, are never hard on it, and give it regular maintenance.
    Suddenly, the "outer joint" has broken, requiring a replaced left axle. Also, after the tow-in, it was determined that the valve cover gaskets needed replacing, as well as two different belt tensioners.
    The dealership service department was courteous, and subtracted a significant amount from the labor charge, so I have no gripe with them.
    I do find it very unusual and disconcerting that these things would happen at 46,000 miles, particularly the jammed axle. I know that cars have problems, things happen, and no brand of car is perfect forever. It just seems ridiculously soon for these malfunctions to occur, and stands in stark contrast to my 1984 Chevy S-10 pickup which is approaching 200,000 miles, and has had nothing replaced but the brakes.
    There is certainly a high number of Dodge/Plymouth minivans on the road, and maybe this is a somewhat isolated incident, but I can't decide if I should raise "a loud complaint" with Chrysler, or accept the odds of it happening to any late-model Chrysler product. What do you think?
    Not many problems being reported here but CR does not think very highly of DC vehicles.
        Since DC has been having financial woes and there is report of Daimler considering dumping the Chrysler part of DC, who would be a prospective buyer?
        Would Toyota buy Chrysler from DC just to get hold of sufficient assembly capacity for the demand for the new 2004 Sienna and all the other "much in demand" Toyota vehicles?
        DaimlerBenz made alot of vehicles sold around the world but Mercedes Benz has long held a reputation for requiring costly, frequent maintenance.
  • haagidazhaagidaz Member Posts: 1
    I've got 200 warranty miles left to see if anyone knows if this "2100 rpm" drumming vibration noise is serious or if it can be fixed. I've got an '01 DC. The noise usually occurs at 45 mph when the tranny locks in, BUT it also happens occasionally at low speeds with the tranny still slipping. Dealer (bless his heart) has replaced a muffler, a tranny pump and a converter to no avail. My guess is its a vibration caused when the engine lugs a little because it doesn't have the hauling power it needs just then. It doesn't seem to happen when I goose it a little going through 45 mph. It's a minor thing I guess I can live with if it's not the beginning of a major transmission problem later on. Anybody help?
    Has the dealer been recording your complaints on the service records when you bring it in? If something does go wrong down the road, they'd be handy to show to DC that the problem arose during the warranty.

It would be a little extra clout when you ask DC to eat some of the repair bills if needed in the future.

Steve, Host
  • sukhwindersukhwinder Member Posts: 5
    I have 1999 DC @61000 miles now.. I used here a chirring sound when i change gears like from Park to D and from D to Rev. But now it started happening more often even while driving also. The sound is like chhhrrring and last for about 2 sec.
    Any ideas? or if anybody had similar prob?
    My '99 GCS has had that noise since I can remember, especially when shifting into reverse. It lasts about 2 seconds. I haven't noticed it while driving. My van has 43,000 miles on it. The extended warranty goes to 50,000, or five years. I plan on turning it in at about 49,998, or five years less one day, whatever comes first.
    I have had a long codependant relationship with my 1996 Dodge/Chrysler that has been based on "what should have been" rather than what is. When this ends soon (as I have come to realize it must) I will never again enter a relationship with a Dodge/Chrylser.

At the same time, I have to remember what brought me to her in the first place. Those curves, that sleeky showroom sexiness. I mean, she was stacked with features that an average Joe like me could normally only dream about! And when we were alone together--man, how she handled. That little dreamboat could perform better than any car I'd ever been with.

But in the end you just couldn't depend on her! When you really needed her should would let you down, leave . I can't tell you how many times she left me hanging about all those bitter lonely mornings in the servic department waiting room. And she ruined just about every vacation we ever took!

I used to ask myself if it was me? Did I not service her enough? Was I somehow not worthy of her? Was it because we went to Jiffy Lube once or twice instead of the dealer?

But I gave her everything--oil changes every 3 K, fuel injector cleanings, tranny flushes every 12 k, but it was never enough for her. She always needed more--head gaskets, starters, computers, valve covers, and oh-my-god--brake jobs, brake jobs, brake jobs! I've worked myself to death and gone broke trying to please her.

I have finally come to realize that the problem is her and not me. Yes, I'm alone and on foot for now. But I have faith that soon I'll find another. Not any thing flashy--maybe a used Honda or Toyota--but something that I can take car of and that will take care of me.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Please dump it and get on with your life. Our '96 Caravan, having never had the transmission touched to date, having never had fuel injector cleanings and having the original head gaskets, starter, computer, valve covers, and brakes, still treats us well at about 67K miles. Other than the few minor recalls and the well known phantom wiper issue, fixed under warranty, the only major problem to date was the AC that went last year. (I do lovingly change the oil and filter myself every 3K miles, however)

You can switch to an Odyssey, but they haven't been trouble free either, check the Odyssey problems and transmission problems boards.

Maybe you spoiled it by too much loving care!
    Thats it. I gave too much! I was an enabler!
  • strokeoluckstrokeoluck Member Posts: 99
    To guy w/odd transmission noise. Our '96 PGV does the same thing - always has since we bought it four years ago. Always makes the most noise when initially going into reverse and then downshifting while driving. I'd say it's gotten a "little" more noticeable now at 106k miles but not much. I still hear many of the other D/C vehicles making that same sound so I don't get too worried.

To guy who's van let him down, sorry to hear that. Ours has 106k miles (about a week from 107k) and it gets heavy city and highway miles. In fact this last Tuesday I drove eight hours straight from MI to WI and then turned around 12 hours later and went back to MI. This included driving through 93 degree heat in downtown Chicago! I too only do oil changes, trans. changes every 30k and then whatever else our local mechanic says it needs (not much). Biggest expense was the head gasket at about 50k for $900 or so. After that though, not much. If my wife doesn't complain too loudly I plan on slapping some new tires on this thing this Winter and driving it until it pukes. (But odds are she's going to complain and I'll have to sell it to some kid who's going to do God-knows-what in the back seats of that silver bullet).

Have a great weekend,
    Rob
  • lookingatvanslookingatvans Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a GC, 1998, 34000 mi. It has a 3.0 engine, the smallest v6. Anything I should know before I buy? I know I won't be able to tow anything.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The gen 3 seatbelt buckles are a big turnoff for me. Also third seat safety issue.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    I am very happy with my Kia Sedona.
    I have had it a year now.

I have seen them on sale for $ 17000 which includes everything except leather upholstery.

If you can swing it financially with a 5 year loan at low interest, this might be your best option.
    The Caravan SXT can be had for around $17,500 with a nice complement of features, more dealers for service, and much better fuel economy than the Sedona. The MPV base model can be had for a bit over $18k with good features (including fold-away rear seat) and superior fuel economy and reliability. Personally I'd rather have either of those vans instead of the Sedona.
  • topfivebobtopfivebob Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 97 Caravan with 92,000 miles on it. Drove it for about a week with no problems. Last Thursday I was driving around town and when I started it up after being parked for a while the main gauges (gas, speedometer, temp, odometer) did not work. The radio, lights, and AC worked, but not the gauges. I had the fuse checked and that is not the problem.
    Called a Chrysler dealer and they told me to disconnect the positive connection on the battery and that would reset it . . . which it did. Unfortunately, the problem as repeated itself three times since then, with no apparent pattern . . . other than that it seems to happen after I have been driving for a while, turn the engine off, then restart it.
    The last time it happened (Saturday night) I left it until morning and when I started it again the gauges worked.
    I had the battery checked Sunday and it is in good shape, although it is missing the clamp that holds it in place.
    Anyone heard of this happening? The dealer suggested it might be a problem with "the cluster" but I hate to turn it over to them without having a better idea what the problem is and if it is something I can fix myself.
    One other thing: I did have the oil changed the day before this all started happening.
    Thanks!
    bewitching your electical system or perhaps an Automobile Dementor--What ever it is, it is no doubt in the service of "He-who-must-not-be-named!"

I would trade it in on a good Portkey or some floo powder!

(See what happens to your mind when you spend the weekend reading the new Harry Potter book to your kids?)
    That's good - I haven't read the Potter books yet so for a minute there I thought you were invoking Lord Lucas of the British automotive electrical problems fame.

Steve, Host
  • burtoncrburtoncr Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 T&C has had a problem with squeaking wheels since we first bought it. It's been back to the dealer 8 or 9 times. They've finally said that DC is aware of the problem but doesn't have a fix. Doesn't have a fix! According to the dealer, I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm tired or turning heads when I drive around. Has anyone had any success in licking this problem? I understand the problem is with the plastic hub caps and the only solution seems to be to buy the expensive wheels. The only bright side is I get a heads up when my wife is coming home - so I can get back to my chores :)
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I don't think it has to do with the wheel cover. My T&C has the chrome wheels that do the same. According to Midas, the brake dust builds up very fast which caused the noise. They said the problem should be corrected once you install a new set of brake pads. The problem is, the original brake pads still has over 50% left after 15,000 miles.
  • ednerdednerd Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 92 with 189,000 miles. I've replaced the water pump and timing belt. The timing belt went because it's driven off the water pump, which froze because I didn't replace it soon enough after I caught it leaking.

It's also blowing a bit of blue smoke on acceleration, but I'm not real good on maintenance either. The rear sparks plugs are a *joy* to get to!

Tranny is good, and I just replaced both half-shafts.

Hope this helps.

Ed
  • ednerdednerd Member Posts: 3
    My 92 Caravan (3.0 V6, 189,000 miles) has developed an intermittent power loss. It's usually seen at highway speeds (or maybe that's just when it's most noticable).

It'll be driving fine at 55-65-ish, then suddenly act like I've taken my foot off the gas. I can press the accelerator and get more speed, but it surges back and forth. After a few minutes (sometimes a l-o-n-g few minutes), it goes back to normal.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Ed
  • dunkmydonutdunkmydonut Member Posts: 35
    Caravan owners..I feel your pain. I stopped in to get a feel for reliability issues with this product. Forget Chrysler. One less dealer to waste my time in. I can't believe all these problems I'm reading about. You folks make the Hundai sound good. Good luck resolving your concerns.
    Every car has problems.

The Plymouth Voyager just came out #2 in a JD Power dependability study (2000 model year cars were studied after 3 years on the road).

Here's a link.

Steve, Host
    If you're looking for a mini-van, I don't see how Hyundai could sound good, as they don't offer one, at least not in the U.S.
  • strokeoluckstrokeoluck Member Posts: 99
    Hi Bob, The good news is you're not alone and you're not imaging things because it happened to me. The bad news is I can't recall what happened but we DID get it fixed!!! We too had an electrical problem w/our '96 Plymouth Grand Voyager that sounds very much like the problem you had/are having. I even looked up my old service records when this happened in late '01. We took it in on Nov. 19 for some repair work (non-electrical) and then took it back in on Nov. 21 because the following didn't work: heater, radio, air bag. However it says that they checked everything out and didn't find anything wrong (I do recall there was eventually a service advisory for a "clockspring" that caused the airbag lights to stay on but that's another story). Yet I know we had the same problem.

My wife would drive it and everything would fail and then I'd drive it the next day and it would be working and I'd look at her like she was nuts. But eventually it happened to me too. I DO know that I left it at the dealership and they eventually fixed it. But I seem to recall it was NOT a big deal, I think when they worked on the van they disconnected the battery and that caused something to power down the various controls intermittently. Somehow the did something to freshen up the battery and then tweaked the codes or computer or something. I wish I could be of more help but stick to your guns by telling them you NEVER had this issue until they serviced it and you've heard of this happening w/other dealers.

Good luck,
    Rob
  • topfivebobtopfivebob Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if this will help, but I had an '88 Voyager that would get up to about 50 mph and just stop going any faster. Thought it was the transmission until I took it into a local shop and the guy noticed my catalytic converter looked rusty. Turns out a small piece had broken off inside and would plug the exhaust at higher speeds. Slow speeds, no problem. A new CC fixed it, but I think I damaged the engine in the process. Replaced it at 129,000, sold the rusty leftovers at 208,000.

As far as the electrical problem with my DC, I think it is a problem with a lose wire in the cluster. Yesterday I got the gauges to come back up by pounding on the dashboard! I never felt more like my dad in my life.

A local shop said they could fix it, if I bring it in when the problem occurs. With my new "quick fix" I might wait a few weeks before spending any money.

Anyone know how hard it is to get the dashboard cluster out of a 97 DC?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Thought you should all be aware of this so that there are no more tragedies!

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0307/13/a01-215697.htm

fastdriver
  • caravanuser1caravanuser1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 96 Dodge Caravan about a month ago (115k miles). Took it to the dealer. He said everything was fine. Last evening tried to start the van. But, could not get it started. Odomoeter was showing the mileage and the lights inside could be turned on. Tried jump-starting with my Corolla. Did not work. Checked the recall history. Could not find anything that matches my problem. Some one, please help. Thanks in advance.
    Galls me how STUPID, LAZY, People try to blame someone or some company for their stupidity and laziness.
        I read the link posted above and learned that the tragedy was the lack of common sense of the injured person.
        Any person with a brain larger than a pea would turn the engine off when leaving a vehicle.
    Rather than admit to being lazy and stupid, these jerks (of if deceased, their spouse, etc.) file a lawsuit to go after the deep pockets.