Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• rhino17rhino17 Member Posts: 1
    Saw your post, and I am having the same problem. Could you tell me how to remove the radio from the dashboard?

Thanks for taking time to reply!
    Rhino17
  • 97gpgtdriver97gpgtdriver Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Grand Prix GT 3.8 and it has been making a loud groaning noise when the a/c is on and the noise can be heard more from the inside of the car than the outside. The noise is really loud when I have the a/c on and I am in drive and stopped with my foot on the brake or going a slower speed and when turning slowly. The noise only seems to be a problem when stopped or going at a slow speed with the a/c on and diminishes when I get up to speed. The a/c works fine though the entire time. The noise can also be heard under the same conditions when the defroster is on but not as bad as when the a/c is on. The car has 150k on it but it has been an excellent car and has not had many problems. Does anyone have any clue as to what could be causing the noise? :confuse:
    Thanks! ;)
  • cripaldencripalden Member Posts: 5
    I haven't removed the radio, but the pannel around the speedo, cluster and clock needs to be un-done first under the dash near the drivers leg area. Once the bolts are removed, carefully pull on the outside edge of the entire dash cover. There are clips around the edges that just snap/clip on. Be careful not to lose or break any of them. this will expose the entire driver dash area, including the radio.

chris
  • rugerp90rugerp90 Member Posts: 2
    Alright, another problem with my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. Its a nice car, but I'm getting tired of all the problems I'm having. The problem that is existing now is this.....I got in my car and turned it over, but the key locked up in the start position so I could not turn the car off or even get the starter to stop. Also being in the start position it is prohibiting my electric windows, A/C, door locks and radio from working period. I took it to the dealership immediately and they had to disconnect the battery cable to shut the car off. It had a really loud gringing sound (starter or flywheel?) when the car was either in park or neutral, but would not make the grinding sound in drive or reverse. Just to park the car, I had to leave it in drive and set the emergency brake. It will be a min. of a week before they will be able to diagnos the problem. meanwhile, I would like to see if anyone could give me any idea what the problem would be and if there was anyone else that has had this problem.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    On my wife's 98 Regal, the dealer had to remove the console to replace a switch that is engaged when the vehicle is in park. It is a pretty big job. The switch is there to prevent the key from being removed when the car is moving.
  • rugerp90rugerp90 Member Posts: 2
    Well, my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix is still in the shop for one more day. After talking to the service manager at the Sewell Pontiac shop, he tells me that the ignition barrel went out on it and the copper prongs somehow jammed into a bad spot. They had to take the steering column apart and replace the barrel, but unfortunately after they diagnosed the car, they found that the starter burned out.
    They said the they would have to test the car for the grinding noise, cause they still are not sure what's causing it. I will do a final post once they find any other problems and when they have been completely fixed satisfactorily.
  • misterpinchermisterpincher Member Posts: 4
    I have '99 Grand Prix with code P0102 low airflow on mass air flow sensor. Can any one tell me where the MAF sensor is located and if it is hard to remove and clean? Also, Service Engine Soon light (caused by P0102) occasionally briefly goes off but will come back on under slighly harder acceleration, engine seems to be running fine - other than MAF sensor what could the problem be? Where would I check for any obstruction to air flow? Is outside air intake directly behind headlight or lower than that? I already changed the air filter and that didn't help. Thanks.
  • gpownergpowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 200 GP GT and recently it has been making a terrible noise when sitting idle or moving at slow speeds. When I took it to the shop they thought it was the harmonic balancer, they replaced and it is still making the noise. It has been to three different shops,one being a GM dealership and still no idea what it could be. I have heard from others that it could be the rear main oil seal. I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem or knows what it could possible be. I am not getting anything from GM except an attitude when I call! HELP!!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    The MAF is usually connected to/inside the air intake tube.

Suggest removing your airbox, and cleaning the MAF. Make sure, if there's a screen in front of the MAF, that you reinstall it the right way.

You wouldn't happen to have an aftermarket (i.e. K&N) air filter, would you? These need to be oiled after being washed and they have a tendency to get oil on the MAF. GM even has a TSB out for this... won't cover this under any kind of warranty, obviously (probably not an issue in your case)...

--Robert
  • jamie1022jamie1022 Member Posts: 6
    have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8 ltr that starts only when it wants to. Sometimes when I try to start it nothing happens, it makes no noise and just won't start. All of the lights inside and out come on as if it is going to start normally but it doesn't do anything. It usually happens after I have been driving around for a while, but then after it sits overnight, it starts right back up. I am confused by the problem and the mechanis told me this morning that I just need to drive it around until it does it again and tap the starter to determine if thats what is causing the problem. He said that otherwise it could cost me hundreds of dollars for them to determine what the problem is, and I'm a broke full time student that can't afford that! The car is in otherwise excellent condition. It is a one owner car with no past major problems except for the water pump being replaced. It has 151,000 miles on it. PLEASE HELP!
  • marksgtpmarksgtp Member Posts: 2
    Be careful what you wish for. I had two of the 3.4 DOHC Chevy engines. Gimme pushrods any day of the year.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Well, that kludge of OHC, the 3.4 DOHC, doesn't quite count. I've driven the La Crosse with the new 3.6 DOHC and it gave me the best of both worlds: off-the-line punch and strong highway passing power. I get plenty of the former in the 3.8 OHV and of the latter in the 3.5 DOHC, but cam phasing brought both together in the 3.6 DOHC. ;)
    After 2 years, I'm still pretty much in the same situation. Here's an update:

- Pontiac GP: it's an OK car, but still too much $$$ for an OHV, except for the V8, which commands even more $$$.

- Mazda 6: I haven't driven one yet, but the V6 is quite expensive; I hear that it's not very well sound proofed.

- Buick La Crosse: it's got the right price and the right engine (3.6 V6), the interior is very well finished, but the rear seat room is a joke.

- Pontiac G6: it's an OK car, but too much $$$ for an OHV.

- Ford 500: it's an OK car, lots of room, but the 3.0 V6 lacks; I hated the CVT.

- Chrysler 300 / Dodge Charger: makes the right sounds and the right moves, but its styling is horrendous and the interior is cheap.

- VW Passat: too small for so much $$$.

- Honda Accord: can't get over the ugly styling inside and out, but that 3.0 V6 is a bargain.

- Nissan Altima: cheap interior and exterior with sub-par handling.

- Nissan Maxima: can't get over the front-end styling, but 260HP are very attractive.

- Toyota Camry: the 3.3 V6 is a bargain.

- Any Korean: can't get over the styling and the quality, or lack thereof. But I may have to bite my tongue in the future, for they try harder than either of the domestic makers.
    What is your price range?

The new Impala ranges from 21k (base LS) to 32k (loaded SS) and seems like a big improvement over the outgoing model.

The Buick Lucerne is coming out, though I'll bet that you'll find the Northstar-powered version too expensive, and the 3800-powered version too much for an OHV engine.

The Grand Prix replacement is coming around model year 2008... look for upcoming coverage of the Sydney Auto Show, where Holden will introduce the next-gen Commodore. Unless plans change, this, with Pontiac styling, will replace the Grand Prix (and GTO) in the MY2008-2009 timeframe...

--Robert
  • msbrookemsbrooke Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what E20 means? I am having the same problem.
    My range tops at $25000.

I've driven an Impala for a week in vacation and it's laughable. C'mon, a car made in the 21st century with visible screws on the door panel??? It sure has a good chassis mated to a comfortable suspension and is well insulated, with plenty of room. Yet, the interior materials were sub-par.

The Lucerne is promising, especially if it gets the 3.6 V6, but I'm wondering about here and now...

Thanks for the tip on the Commodore.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Special Edition for Grand Prix and Grand Prix GT, including ground effects, body-color grille, bright exhaust tips and new 17-inch wheels (late availability)
    Dark Cherry exterior color replaces Fusion Orange
    New interior colors: Ebony and Cashmere/Ebony
    Mini-perforation leather available on steering wheel, shifter handle and seat inserts
    Chrome rings on HVAC vents and door release handle rings
    Revised metal finish on door pull and release handle, shifter PRNDL and steering wheel
    Revised center console
    Ebony TAPshift paddles
    Seventeen-inch wheels available on base Grand Prix
    I've driven an Impala for a week in vacation and it's laughable.

If you're talking about the 2000-2005, I agree, it makes a good rental, and that's about it.

You do know the Impala is brand new for '06, don't you?

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala06/

Seems like a significant improvement over the old model.

Back to talking about the Grand Prix (dead after '07),

--Robert
    No, I wasn't aware that the '06 model was brand new. I'll keep my eyes open, thanks.
  • marksgtpmarksgtp Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a '98 GTP sedan, black on graphite, with everything save the sunroof, for about four months now. I've put about 5K miles on her.

Having driven her and read this forum top to bottom, here are my thoughts for what they're worth:

1. Love love love the handling. I can take 90 degree turns at 50 mph without a bit of tire squeal. (I did put Fuzion H-rated tires on--they won't make their rated treadlife, but they do perform.)

2. The engine is beautiful, except I have the oil-in-the coolant issue. I got the intake manifold gasket replaced, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. Any ideas?

3. Good tranny, decent brakes. Fantastic stereo. The only rattles are from the broken door panel clips.

4. The headlights do, in fact, suck. The condensation doesn't bother me, as I do live in Florida. The dimness is an issue.

5. I adore the exterior as much as it's possible to adore a sedan. Looks lowered with the valances and NON-cladding, swoopy and curvaceous.

6. I can't argue the relative cheapness of the 97-03 interior materials. However, the new interior is butt-[non-permissible content removed] ugly, unless it's monochrome.

This is definitely the best car I've owned, and probably the best I've ever driven.
    Car & Driver magazine did a long term test, and they upgraded the headlights bulbs with improved bulbs from TireRack. I ordered the TireRack bulbs for my 2004 Grand Prix, and I think that there is a noticeable improvement.
    What was improved in those bulbs, the wattage, as 65W instead of 55W?

TIA
    I went out in the garage and located the original box that my replacement headlight bulbs came in. They are part number 9006. They are called PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulb. You asked about the wattage. The package says HB4 12V 51W - 115W. This is the low beam bulb, and no one has ever flashed their high beams at me like they were getting a glare or a too bright light in their eyes. I have used them for 66,000 miles on my Grand Prix, and I have had no issues with fuses or relays. I recommend the bulbs, and I will buy them for my next car if they are available.
    I'll try to find them for my Intrigue. Its headlights leave to be desired, unlike my Bonneville's.

Thanks.
    ...I know this is off-topic, but I've run across posts on the 'net from someone who argues that those super-blue/super-white bulbs are actually worse than the stockers as far as visibility.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

Not being a shill for anyone, just passing the info along,

--Robert
    I didn't realize that mrrogers was talking about such bulbs. I assumed that he just made sure to get the higher efficiency ones that the pages you mentioned talk about.

However, those pages fail to mention higher wattage bulbs. I understand that they may overload the electrical system, for it wasn't designed to handle them. Yet, I'd appreciate if someone has tried them and if there've been any problems.

TIA
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Read your car delema a few pages back. Have you looked at the new Impala?

Under $30,000 for a 303 hp sedan with displacement on demand tech..
    Dan,

Being a Chevy, I'd have to wait and see. Rather, I'm looking forward to the new Grand Prix which, some say, could be RWD. ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "I'm looking forward to the new Grand Prix which, some say, could be RWD"

Typically reliable sources indicate:
    Not anytime soon . .
    - Ray
    Happy w/FWD - and MUCH happier than expected . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Typically reliable sources indicate: Not anytime soon . .

Yep, 2008 or (more likely) 2009 model year. GMX284 is the internal project code for this vehicle.
    Regardless, unless Chevy starts making some decent interiors, for the styling is quite bland. Granted, Pontiac doesn't shine in interiors, but just compare the GP's with the current Impala's: no comparison.
  • gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Member Posts: 210
    "4. The headlights do, in fact, suck. The condensation doesn't bother me, as I do live in Florida. The dimness is an issue. "

I had 2 company 1997-2003 Grand Prixs and I know the hi-beams are basically useless. It is because they use the SAME bulb for low and highbeam. . The regular beams are so-so. early models of that generation could have condensation problems. The PIAA or Silverstar bulbs do make a slight to ok difference, but get pricey. They are 4500K instead of stock 3200K.
    If you are using the 7500K ones then yes they are worse then the stock bulbs as far as visibility. Anything up to about 4500-5000K is ok. Make sure they are 65W which is fine for the headlight assembly and wiring/harness. They do give you that near HID look at night. Silverstars are very good.

I use the 4500K regular super/blue white bulbs and they are slightly brighter then stock in my own night time driving. They make 65 watts out of 55 watts, so ok for the electrical system and headlight assembly. They give me a nice white look "semi hid" instead of the yellowish/whitish look of Halogen.
  • dpdevil16dpdevil16 Member Posts: 1
    I want to replace the original exhaust tips on my new 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with the dual round chrome exhaust tips found on the GXP. Several website that sell the dual round chrome exhaust tips indicated that they utilize clamp-on installation, which is great.

However, would anyone know how to get the original ones off? Are they soldered on? They don't appear to by welded. Has anyone else even attempted this?

Thanks.
  • simplystressedsimplystressed Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know the model of the Goodyears that were originally on the '02 Grand Prix GT? I've since replaced my originals but was curious as to what they where.Thanks.
  • gmfan007gmfan007 Member Posts: 77
    I believe they were the Goodyear Eagle LS .... at least they were on my '98 GT when new and they came on the GT and GTP for several years. I thought they were good performance tires with a quiet ride. But, they didn't last very long .... 30,000 miles with proper inflation, rotations, alignments and they were never abused. I now have 80,000 mile Goodyear Aquatred 3s. They handle almost as well. But, I'll be surprised if they go 80,000.
    For 2002 Grand Prix Pontiac used Goodyear Eagle LS on the GT and Goodyear RSA on GTP as OEM tires.
  • smetzlersmetzler Member Posts: 23
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 2003 Grand Prix GT (loaded with all the options) for $5,200. The car has 105,410 miles (driven by a sales person). The car is in good to very good shape (well taken car of).

I'm just trying to get a feel if others think this is a good buy or not. Since the warranty is no longer valid, I'm more worried about mainatenance costs.

It will only be used for a car to drive to and from work (maybe 500 miles a month).

Thank you.

Shawn
  • gmfan007gmfan007 Member Posts: 77
    Sounds like a good price. I wonder just how "well taken care of" was it? I have a '98 GT I bought new and have driven it at least 90% of the time. I have never abused it and have kept up on all scheduled maintenance. It only has 47,000 miles on it, but I have had to replace the water pump, alternator and various seals and gaskets (oil pan, both valve covers, intake manifold) because of annoying minor oil and coolant leaks. Water pump and alternator are among some of GM replacement parts guaranteed for as long as I own the car. Even though the guarantee does not pass on to later owners, it says to me GM is confident in the reliability of the (possibly modified) new parts. It might help to know if any of these potential problem parts have already been replaced or maybe these were not an issue in 2003. Good luck.
    Thanks for the feedback. The car was maintaned for two years having all the required service. It was also driven by an individual whose personality was such to keep it in perfect shape.

The car is being looked at by a mechaninc next week to give it a once over. It also just had new brakes and a complete safety check about a month ago and all passed. I'm still having it re-checked again.

I think based on all that I read, reviews, comments, etc. its a good buy. I think any used car is a gamble espeically without any warranty, but I think all things point to a good buy.

Shawn
  • rubyv6rubyv6 Member Posts: 1
    hey there
    I have a 2002 GP and need to replace rear deck speakers also.
    were u able to get good instructions?
    if so, can you share?

thanks!
  • azadminazadmin Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT sedan less than a year ago---it had 36,500 miles on it at that time and was a private party, not rental return, trade to the dealer. It now has about 44,000. This is my first American car in more than 20 years and after reading about how American car quality had improved thought I would "buy American".

I did not get the extended warranty for the Pontiac but am now regretting that decision.

In the last six weeks, I've had to replace 3 of the 4 window regulators at nearly $465.00 each. In all three instances, the window was up then came half way down and within a minute or two, fell all the way. Luckily, the glass did not break.

The dealer could not get the first one fixed timely so I took it to a local repair chain where I've since taken it for the other two replacement regulators. The dealer was going to charge nearly $100.00 more for each and the warranty was the same as the local repair chain.

How common is this problem? The service rep at the dealer was very non-committal saying he's had many cars like mine that have never had any window regulators replaced but did admit that he has also replaced all 4 in a few cars. He gave no reason why some were and others were not problematic.

He said there was not a GM recall going on for this problem but he was most willing to service my car when needed including the next repair of the last regulator should that be necessary.

Is any one aware of a recall or related campaign focused on window regulator failures?

Have many/any of you experienced this kind of multiple window regulator failure over a short period of time?

Have you been able to get any satisfaction from your dealership (management or service department) on costs of repair, reimbursement of costs for past repairs, anything like that for problems with a used car purchase?

Have you been able to get any satisfaction from the Zone Rep or some other GM higher-up as to the same questions asked above?

I know I am at somewhat of a disadvantage because I did not have the repairs made at the dealership, but it is more that the problem exists than where I took it for repair that should be the focal point of the resolution.

Any comments, suggestions, input, information or advice on what you may have go through related to this problem and your remedies will be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • msmarymsmary Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same problem with my 2004 grand Prix gt with 32000 miles if you find out the problem please let me know.

thanks
    Mary
  • bguns10bguns10 Member Posts: 1
    Will a 2005 3.8 grand prix motor work in a 99 grand prix gt and will the tranny work also?
  • michaelrbmichaelrb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 grand prix gt When you start the car you have to wate at least 10 to 15 min befor useing the turn signal's or it will kill the engine the dash makes a noise all the dash lights go out and nothing works any more. now the car will not start unless you pull the ignition fuse. and after doing that nothing works on the car at all it runs but no dash lights no tach ect. and that will only work for a few min and then it starts to smoke. HELP
  • aaronerdmannaaronerdmann Member Posts: 1
    My GP clonks out as soon as it starts sometimes. Can anyone help me out? Please email me. :cry:
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (loaded) for $4,700. It has 102,000 thousand miles (mostly highway). Its had regualr maintenance and I just had it checked out and all is well.

Just need a sanity check saying this is a good or bad buy.

Also, I'm buying the care remotely so all I have is pictures, etc. I did a Carfax and all is well. Is there a way I can find what all the features are included. For example, since I have the VIN number can I plug that in somewhere and it will tell me if it has leather, CD Changer, etc.

Thxs

Shawn
  • skodanationskodanation Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 Grand Prix with around 50K on it. Appearance is in great shape along with the engine. Its an automatic and just recently i started having problems moving into 2nd and 3rd gear after driving the car for a while.(i.e. car is warm at this point) Its giving me a kickback that is extremely noticeable and beginning to become an annoyance. Does anyone know whats creating this and how the hell do I fix it???
    Your help would be very appreciated.
  • jigly74jigly74 Member Posts: 1
    thats absolutley right i own a 2005 grand prix and i absoluteley love it
  • mryan1mryan1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a high pitched humming noise when auto is idling. Dealership claims the problem is bearings in alternator. Have to replace alternator to stop noise otherwise alternator is fine. Auto is still under warranty but the alternator is not. anyone have this experience? Sometimes the noise ls so loud and high pitched passengers complain. THANKS
This discussion has been closed.