Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• miffydeemiffydee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix and have had the same problems with it. I bought it with 9 miles on it and have regretted it every since. My first problem was with the CD player. Every time I hit a bump in the road, it would skip. Even something as small as the reflectors that go down the middle line. I had to have it replaced 3 times. I finally gave up and had one put in from Best Buy. Little did I know that was just the beginning of my bad experiences with my Pontiac. I had a manifold leak in 2002. They found this when I took it in to have it checked because it was not accelerating correctly. The service dept told me that I had a wire that was basically chewed in half by a piece of metal rubbing against, He fixed the wire for $300. I still do not believe that was the problem. I had my manifold fixed after they put out a recall on my car for it. I then had a problem with my Check Engine Soon light coming on. When I would speed up, my car would jerk before it hit 2nd gear. I had the transmission checked and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. My husband unplugged the battery and the jerking stopped, but the light continues to come on. I have been told it might be a speed sensor, but the diagnostic checks cant find anything wrong. So... we did a tune up, replaced the O2 sensor and changed the fluids in the transmission and radiator just to be sure everything was up to date. Problems are still there. A few other problems... I have had to replace both control arms on the front end. Both tie rod ends and now am having to replace the differential on the right side. It will cost me over $350. My automatic door lock motor has gone out, my power sunroof motor has gone out and when it rains for more than a couple of hours, my windshield on the passenger side leaks water into my floor board. And I’m talking 2 and 3 inches. Not just a little. One thing you can do it call Pontiac at 1-800-PM CARES. Nice phone number dont you think?? ;) Anyway, they can note your account with all of the problems that you are having with your car. They wont fix them, but the more people that call, the more of a record they have. Oh and by the way, I am one of those people who will never buy another "American" car. My husband drives a 1987 Honda Civic and it is more reliable than my 2000. I live in Alabama and there is a Toyota, Honda and Hyundai plant all with 2 hours of my home. They may be foreign parts, but they are American made. And they will last a whole lot longer.
  • dingo9tndingo9tn Member Posts: 4
    just got my 2006 GXP today. traded my 2002 GTP in, i got to say i like what they have done with the car, but winter tires are my question.
    live in Toronto, Canada snow is the issue. anyone driven in the snow with the stock tire on? and how did they handle?
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I live in the USA and only use the stock tires and have had no trouble driving in the snow, but, of course, in Canada, you get more snow. I drove uphill on six inches of hard packed snow and ice and had no problem whatsoever. You should really go to the 2006 GXP page. There are alot of discussions concerning this car there. Also, do you have the humming/hissing sound coming from the Monsoon Speaker System? I also traded in my 2002 GTP Anniversary Edition and only drove with the stock tires and had no problems driving in the snow. Good luck with your new car.
  • dingo9tndingo9tn Member Posts: 4
    yep, i got the hissing noise. i figure ill take it back to the dealership and complain. if they have a fix ill post about it.
    thanks for the info on the tires. ill get winters in the late fall.
  • tballtball Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2004 pontiac grand prix gt, a couple days ago the engine light and "check gas cap" light came on, the cap was fine but I figured I would just replace it with a new one, its fine and sealed tight, how do I clear these codes off my screen and dash? Or do I have ot take it in to have it scanned and cleared, anybody know how, i have been told if i un-hook the battery it will work but will that effect the factory anti-theft system, any suggestions? Thx. tom
  • gmfan007gmfan007 Member Posts: 77
    Our '03 GMC Yukon (other car) had "check engine" light come on. I tightened the gas cap with a few clicks even though it seemed tight. After several short trips (about 50 miles total), the light finally went off. Owner's manual also confirms the light does not immediately go off. In the meantime, I had made an appt. with the dealer thinking something else was wrong. They "cleared code and reset system" for $88. Seems odd to me that every time someone does not get the gas cap on tight, it will cost me $88 to clear/reset. Dealer says clear/reset is necessary in order to pass I & M (local computerized pollution testing required to renew car license).
  • 04_gp_gt204_gp_gt2 Member Posts: 1
    Tom: this just happened to me today.
    Symptom happened mid-way through a tank of gas, I stopped car, turned off, and tightened the cap (even though it was already tight).
    Started the car again, "Check Gas Gap" light came on. Cleared it using the "Enter Key." But then came on again next time I started.
    Long story short, took it into dealership, Service advisor knew of problem immediately -- grabbed the OBD code reader and cleared the codes. No issues. I'll let you know if anything else comes up.
    ARe you all cleared up now?
    Dave
  • frankbobfrankbob Member Posts: 1
    Hey all.

I just bought a 98 Grand prix from a dealership. I was wondering about the audio. The rear speakers are blown and I need to replace them. Any suggestions?

My real question is what does this car come with for speakers? In the back I have one 6x9 and one 3". Is that normal? The speakers are not stock but they look it. Should I replace both..or am I just robbing my power?

thanks a lot
  • gmfan007gmfan007 Member Posts: 77
    Our '98 GT came new with 8 speakers ... 4 on the deck shelf and 2 up front in each door. If your GP has a stock graphic equalizer and steering wheel audio controls, then it has or had the 8 speaker system.

The rear speakers you describe sound stock to me. Ours look the same and sound pretty good for stock. You can probably find after market which are better and maybe cheaper too. Both sides should match however.
  • motocrazy88motocrazy88 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a 97 grand prix and i have oly had it a few days and the trip computer stoped working can any one help
  • kairoskairos Member Posts: 1
    I own one of those. My dad bought it brand new, and then sold it to me a couple of years ago. It has about 112,000 miles on it. The only problems we've ever had were

1. The driver's side power window.
    2. The EGR Valve
    3. Just recently the rear passenger's side power window.

The motor in the driver's side power window had to be replaced.

The spring in the EGR valve has worn out and will not close the valve completely. This is not a real issue except that it keeps the engine warning light on constantly.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the rear passenger's side power window yet. The button works, I just have to pull up on the window to get it started. I'm thinking it might come out of track on its way down. It's only been going on for like a couple of weeks though.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently sold or traded a Malibu, LaCrosse, Monte Carlo, Cobalt or Grand Prix and was disappointed about its low residual value and has decided against buying another GM car because of it. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday May 5, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and the car you sold or traded and the car your purchased next.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Talk about biased reporting!!! Why not call for owners' experiences when trading them instead of trying to select people with bad experiences and then ask whether they bought another GM or domestic brand? Only then could you call it reporting...
  • minnguy34minnguy34 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone else run into this problem? The cloth (uglycloth) upholstery on my 2004 Grand Prix GT has completely worn through to the foam pad on the door side of the driver's seat side bolster. I had noticed the area was lighter from wear, but never thought it would wear through. This at 33 months and 44,000 miles. It looks like it is where my belt would rub on the bolster when getting into the car. I only weigh 170, so I am pretty average. I have never had this sort of problem with a car before. Anyone else have a similar problem with this cloth?
  • hawk15hawk15 Member Posts: 1
    I to have a 2004 Grand Prix GTP We've got 48,000
    My problems sounds just like yours.Mine is the grey clothe
  • carguy248carguy248 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 GTP 4 Door... totally stock. I haven't really driven it yet (just bought it from the auction and having it painted)... My friend just got a Mazdaspeed 6, I'm curious as to whether or not there is a chance of the GTP keeping up with or beating the 6. They both have 280 ft./lbs of torque, but the Mazda has 274hp to the GTP's 240. Then again, the Mazda is a 4 cyl and the GTP a 6.... So do I have any chance?
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    They are different animals. Both are supercharged, but the GTP uses a belt-driven compressor and the Mazda, an exhaust gases-driven turbo-compressor. The former is more efficient at lower RPMs than the latter. The former is more responsive to the throttle, while the latter comes after a lag, which can be extremely annoying. Both raise reliability questions.

The Mazda is a smaller car than the GTP, but is potentially nimbler.

The only way to tell is by driving them and making a choice about which one you like best.
  • soningsoning Member Posts: 5
    just traded in my ford escape for 05 gp So how do I get to the red led light on the dash near the window I want to change it to a blue led light thank you for any input.
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    i was thinking of getting a class 2 hitch installed (but only towing sub 1000 lbs still) on my 2000 GTP sedan. i know that i'll have to be easy on the throttle to avoid possible transmission damage (i assume that this is the reason it is not recommended in the manual). so far my GP has never left me stranded and has over 100k miles. anyone else towed with their GP? am i pushing my luck? i'd appreciate any feedback,

thanks in advance
    atob
  • jeepspurjeepspur Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 4-door SE and I have recently ran into the same problem. I have recieved instruction, however have not attempted due to the extensiveness of the procedure. First, you must remove the bottom of the seat. Next the seatbelts and the seatback. Then the side interior trim panels and finally you should be able to remove the speakers out the top. This could have been totally bypassed by screw mounting the speaker covers, but hey im no engineer.
    Charlie
  • chambo1chambo1 Member Posts: 2
    For the past 3 weeks I have had problems starting my car. It turns over strong but won't start. It has been towed to 3 different shops and each time for them it starts right up and they can't find the problem. Once i get it home the car doesn't start for me. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thank you
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    It's very likely to be a $20 part called a crankshaft position sensor. They tend to crack a bit, and start flaking out, especially as the engine cools or heats up. Labor will of course be the bigger part of the bill, but an honest shop should have you in and out for maybe $150. If you're mechanically inclined, visit one of the many Grand Prix clubs online and search for crankshaft position sensor - you may be able to do the job yourself.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hey all, question here about my dad's '98 GT. It just turned 160k miles, and simultaneously needed a new $2400 tranny. That aside, he's thinking it might be time to replace the spark plugs, but they aren't giving any trouble. Yet. He went to Advance, and they didn't have the platinum plugs that are in it, but did have the Iridium plugs for 7 bucks a pop.
    How long are the platinum's supposed to last? He's had the car 4 years and when he got it, it had 56k miles on it. 4 years and 104k miles later, he hasn't replaced any spark plugs and he's not sure if they've ever been replaced.
    Has anyone tried the Iridium plugs, and if so, how are they? Are they worth the extra dough?
    Aside from the tranny, a window switch, and the sunroof shade getting stuck back up in the roof, this car has been trouble free. That is why dad elected to get the new tranny, he doesn't want to get rid of this car anytime soon.
    Answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all!
  • riderprideriderpride Member Posts: 3
    alrighty, I've had the '99 for about 6 months now with 95,000 miles on it (154,000KM) and its giving me all sorts of headaches...im hoping someone has encountered similar problems so i can learn from them...

1a - boost gauge is ALWAYS showing a reading after slowing down on highways and speeding back up multiple times. if the road is empty, no issues whatsoever -- had it up to 106 mp/h a couple days ago on a long stretch of open highway and no issues. ( sidenote - certainly didnt take long to hit 100 mph, whee! ;) )

1b - related to the boost gauge showing a constant reading, it seems to slowly increase every time i take my foot off the pedal (yes, its showing a reading when i am NOT using the accelerator) and seems to increase when i am off the pedal. its the strangest thing, usually starts with a reading at 2 'blocks' and has increased as far as 6, very odd considering im not accelerating.

1c - whenever im having the issue with the boost gague; i feel like im losing MAJOR power; i have had the throttle gauge sensor replaced about 5 weeks ago, didnt do a damn thing. a couple days ago when it was happening my rpms nearly hit 0. i swear i feel like the engine is just gonna seize and die, the dealership i bought it from couldnt find anything other than that sensor issue...but i think they are wrong. on occasion, when the rpms dropped like i mentioned, the car has outright stalled. once while coming down a mountain, that was fun

its strange because driving in the city the car usually runs without a hitch, as soon as i hit the highway its a crapshoot (and a little frustrating because my girlfriend lives far away enough that i have to take the highway to see her) so this is driving me nuts, i like the car way too much to trade it in for some beater, but im frustrated when i see the rust buckets bombing around without an issue. has anyone had anything similar happen? any ideas what it could be? im so lost...im embarrased to drive my car for any long hauls! im supposed to have the road trip mobile...not my friend's lame acura integra...boo
  • chambo1chambo1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the crankshaft position sensor replaced and my car is still having this problem. Any other suggestions?
  • dukenessdukeness Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what was causing this? I'm having similar problems?

:cry:
  • pontiacxsitepontiacxsite Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Black 2005 Grand Prix. I got it reasonable and I'm wanting to make it look and possibly perform better. It has the 3.8L. I will be putting 17 inch American Racing Sniper wheels next week after I paint the disc brake calipers red. I think the chrome wheels with the red calipers and black car should look good. I'm also having Auto One put a powered moon roof in. I want to make it look like a GTP I saw a few weeks ago. It was an 04 I believe and seven grand more. I figure I can get the same look for less if I shop.
    I would like to change the rear lower bumper valance to the dual exhaust and install the stainless tips from GM.
    Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I would like to do this on a budget as I have three sons, 20,17,and 10,(money pits), living at home. Thanks. Eric
  • ninety7prixgtninety7prixgt Member Posts: 1
    So this may just be an outright stupid question, but how many parts would be interchangeable from a 99 GT going into a 97 GT? Would the engine and tranny fit into the 97? At all, modifications or not? What about any other parts. Yeah i'm sure y'all would say drive the 99, but can't. Everything works, but the 99 has been passed through too many hands, and anyone that'd know anything about the car is long gone, so I can't obtain a title, so it's just sitting around collecting dust. And I don't want that if I can help it. I've got a 150000 on my 97 and it'd be really sweet to swap out some major parts if possible, and nothing beats free.
  • tpmunyontpmunyon Member Posts: 1
    Chambo,
    I have had a similar problem with my 2004 Grand Prix not starting. The engine turns over but won't start. Were you able to identify the cause of the problem and any solutions? I fear it may have something to do with the fuel system.

Tim
  • kurtylokurtylo Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2003 Grand Prix GT ( if it makes a diff) and i also own a bell rx 65 radar detector...i recently bought a hardwire kit ( beltronics brand) and hardwired it to my car...works perfectly minus one detail...my radio time display took a crap...i am wondering if anyone would know a possible reason why this would happen...radio still works..it lights up just LCD screen is out cold...any advice??
  • summerjeansummerjean Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Prix GT2 and it is doing the same thing. I had it at the dealership a few months ago and they reprogrammed the computer. This did not fix the problem and it seems like it is getting worse. Any help would be appreciated!!
  • 99grandprixma99grandprixma Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I purchased a 1999 Grandprix Coupe GT w/70k Automatic. The car runs great, except for starting. If its in the morning (first start, may be tempature related) the car starts up fine no problem. Its when I start the car warm, it turns over idles up and dies. It will do this a second time. Third time is a charm, it starts perfect. I know its bad, but if I give it gas I can save it from stalling out. Im lost, my mechanic is lost and the computer says everything is runnning A-Okay. Hope you guys can help.

Jeff Read
    read@mysite.com
  • 99grandprixma99grandprixma Member Posts: 2
    I just did mine on my 99' its the resister module on the blower. Works in the off position as well as the high position . It cost me $28 for the part.
  • ecresseyecressey Member Posts: 1
    Hi;
    I have a 2002 Grand Prix GT with the 3800 V-6 and had intermittent starting issues for over a year. I tried all the easy fixes, but finally had to change the fuel pump as it the only item left. Normally they tell you a fuel pump works or will not work at all - not true.

Been fine since. The fuel pump is not cheap - go after market, not dealer.
  • mikecreenmikecreen Member Posts: 2
    I have had problems with the key not releasing. I have used the key release switch for the past few months. Recently I had my car valeted and the next time i went to start it I could not. The key would not turn, the wheel would not budge. Now I can pull the key out with no problem which leads me to believe that perhaps the key release switch is stuck in. Anyone have a similar problem or can shed some light on what I should do.

Thank you in advance.
  • gwwtexasgwwtexas Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2005 GP. Looking for a larger spoiler than the stock unit. Not looking for a wing. Want something that covers entire rear area and not just part of the trunk.
  • gwwtexasgwwtexas Member Posts: 2
    Did you have any luck? I have a 2005 GP and want a larger rear spoiler. Not a wing or some gawdy whale's tail. Want one that goes all the way across the trunk area.
  • dharmerdharmer Member Posts: 1
    Hi Need help replacing wheel bearing hub on 02 Grand Pric GT Right Front.
    I have got everyhting of except the actual hub. I have tried a puller, but all it does is push in the driveshaft, and then bottoms out (the puller) is there something I am missing? Can some one tell me how to replace this hib. I have my new one, just cant get the old one to come off...
    Thanks
    David
  • headachheadach Member Posts: 17
    Well about 3 years ago i bought my dream car. A clean 1994 Grand Prix for $3300.00 at dealer i thought was a friend. From Day one it had a service soon light. Dealer tried to fix it like 3 times keeping it weeks at a time not fixing it. Finally i took it to a real GM Dealer. Fixed it i like 2 days. It was the EGR valve. Ran fine up untill i took it somewhere to get new muflers. That is when it started over heating. Took it back they said there was nothing wrong with them. So i noticed a small leak aroung the water pump. I replaced it, helped but still ran hot. Then around 100000 it all began. First i knew that the original dealer i got it off shouldn't have passed. Need a part store of parts. But back to the point the back bumper roted needing replaced along with the pipe going form the side of the car to the gas tank, but then i noticed a bigger problem. Anti freze disapering. Found it! in the oil along with an oder of gas. The car still runs fine for the most part. The PCV Valve clugs with anti frezze so i clean it the idle will smooth out. Then if i park on a hill it will run rough then when i pull onto a flat surface it clears. Overall no loose in power. Please help! ireally don't want to put more money into it.
  • dcnws1dcnws1 Member Posts: 14
    If you have antifreeze in with your oil, you have a leaking
    manifold gasket. Not that uncommon with GM, (I have already had one replaced on a 2001 Olds Alero), but very expensive.
    Do a google search for "GM manifold gasket leaks" and you will find a list of cars and engines that this applies to.
    On a 12 year old car with the miles you have on it, I doubt it would pay to have it fixed.

DC
    Thank you for the information. yah i don't think i want to put more money into the car. It has 107000 and needs a lot of other work done. Thank You Again
  • ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    Didi you remove the three bolts that hold it on ?? If so tap it side to side with a hammer.
  • skootsgpskootsgp Member Posts: 1
    im running roughly 21mpg and a little less in town on a 2005 grand prix 70k Now i have a question i want to replace my taillights but cant find any companys that make them for 2004 and above anyone know skooter_34@hotmail.com
  • ebushebush Member Posts: 2
    I have changed the following items with no luck, spark plugs and wires, coil packs, fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator, and the egr valve only to waste money. the car will run without the egr valve. It started by losing power but then stopped altogether. Can someone please help. I'll try anything. Thank you very much in advance.
  • ebushebush Member Posts: 2
    Also it only has 45K miles on it.
  • dave122dave122 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Grand Prix with 44K miles, it goes through 1 to 2 quarts of oil a week! Its not leaking anywhere that I can see, and it doesnt appear to be burning, cant smell or see any smoke. Where is all of this oil going?
    It might be an o-ring located somewhere on the engine. i am not sure exactly were but i had the same problem on my 94 Grand prix. Also if you dont already know those cars have manifold gasket problems mostly around 100000miles. It will give the symptoms of a head problem.
  • erikroerikro Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 GT is hard turning to the left from time to time. Dealer told me it is the power steering fluid pump and meineke told me the rack and pinion. I believe meineke. They have done work for me before. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Car has 60,200 miles on it. Had a right front wheel bearing replaced at 38k, intake gasket replaced at 45k, tranny rebuilt at 55k, key gets stuck in the ignition a lot, now this. This car has been a head ache. I bought it brand new and have been good to it. It barely gets 15 miles per gallon too. I would love to sell it to get something else.

Thanks,
    Erik
  • juliesjewalsjuliesjewals Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 grandprix i was reading your message and i have the exact problems you have intake gasket replaced power steering replaced water pump replaced key stuck in ignition and right now as i speak my car is in shop for its 2nd I repeat second time to replace rack and pinion the only difference this time is they have to replace gears in steering and both front wheel bearings have to be replaced. I only have 33,000 miles on my car and thank god i bought exsteaded warr. ether way i am talking with a lemon law attorney as i speak and he says looks very good for me. best of luck
  • erikroerikro Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. Did they say that the power steering pump was a problem or did they just change it to see if it would fix the problem? I am debating getting the rack and pinion done but it only is had to turn sometimes and I dont feel like paying the $700. I will never buy a GM car again. I have called the manufacturer several times and they are no help at all. I just deal with the key being stuck. I just leave it in. I guess I am lucky I didnt need the water pump replaced, and only had a problem with one wheel bearing. You are lucky that you have the warranty. I wish I did. My next car will be a Toyota and with an extended warranty. Let me know how things work out.

Thanks,
    Erik
This discussion has been closed.