Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hello WKA!

I think it has to be up to the individual whether the increase from 200 to 245 horsepower and the nice torque increase is worth the extra initial investment and the extra 20 cents per gallon for gas.

I have a 2000 GT sedan. I probably would have
    gone with the GTP, but I was making an even trade between my 1999 Grand Cherokee with 33K miles and a new Grand Prix. A GT was as far as I could go without spending money on the trade (I DID have to pay tax and license, but I had GM Card rebate money and a refunded extended warranty on the Jeep to cover these costs).

The GT has plenty enough power to be fun to drive, and I'm not sorry that got the GT, but those GTP's are wicked! I don't think there's supposed to be any significant difference in gas mileage with the supercharger either, so it really boils down to the premium gas vs regular gas issue. If the extra power is worth the cost of the gas to you, then I would recommend that you go with the GTP.

Either way, you will be getting a great looking, sporty car that, as you said, gives you a lot for your money.

My GT has not been back to the dealer for even a tiny adjustment or anything except oil changes, and I'm up to 18.5K miles on it.

tsjay
    Hi Toon!!

I carry a pocket calculator and check my mileage manually every time I fill up (and I ALWAYS fill up when I get gas- I don't just stop for $5.00 worth of gas). It is sort of a hobby, I guess.

Sometimes the read-out on the car's onboard gas mileage computer is very close to the manually calculated value, and sometimes it's off by a couple miles to the gallon. I haven't paid that much attention to whether it's biased to the high side or to the low side, or if it averages the same as the manual calculations over several tanks.

Any city driving at all pulls down my mileage considerably. When I have had my very best gas mileage checks, like 30.0 to 31.5, it has been literally 100% highway miles while I was traveling between Illinois and Kentucky.

Cold starts, idling, and stop-and-go driving absolutely destroy gas mileage.

tsjay
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    Every now and again, Walmart has a "special purchase" five-quart jug of Mobil1 for $14.99. Obviously, this works out to a measly $3.00/quart, the best deal you'll find anywhere. I usually buy three or four jugs when I see 'em...
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    This Walmart special would save $7.50 comparing with the same oil in Pep Boys, at $4.49 a quart. Or almost $8 with sale tax.

For 2-car family, 2-4 changes per year (the syntetic oil allowing longer intervals) the savings are $32 to $64 per year. Clearly pays with a WalMart nearby. Probably does not pay, though, if the most close WalMart is in 35-40 minutes driving, one way.
    If this post violates the user agreement, then I apologize and will post no more such articles. Someone just needs to let me know. After reading the user agreement, I'm not sure if an individual trying to sell his private vehicle constitutes "soliciting a product or service."

Anyway, as much as I love my 2000 Grand Prix GT sedan, I have an obsession for a new Jeep Wrangler Sport, or for at least a low mileage used one of equal value to my Grand Prix.

I live in western Kentucky, so if anyone out there lives in this general vicinity and is interested in buying my car or trading a Wrangler Sport (not interested in an "SE" model) with a 5-speed transmission, please look up my email address in my profile and contact me.

tsjay
  • csmith7csmith7 Member Posts: 6
    Let me introduce myself: I have a 2000 GP GT Sedan and absolutely love it-except for one thing: The stereo system just doesn' do it for me. It has the CD BOSE system without equalizer. I bought it off the lot, kind of assumed that the BOSE would be good, so I didn't get real picky at purchase time. Now after 5 mo with it, I am ready for improvement. So I start shopping. Got the Crutchfield catalog, saw some cool stuff, etc. Then I went to Circuit City to see things in person. The guy there said that Circuit City will not allow their installers to touch Grand Prixs because the car's on board computer/engine management system are linked into the stereo so that putting in an aftermarket system causes all kinds of problems with the rest of the car's functions, plus there are airbag inplications, such as accidental deployment, etc. They said car companies do this so to foil the aftermarket people and to get you to buy upgrades through dealers. I think it would be very unfortunate if this were the case.

Has anyone out there heard anything about this, or has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo in a late model GP?
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    I have the BOSE options - better than stock but not great. BOSE sucks - it usually comes in dead last in any type of audio comparison. (check out audioreview.com). The company is just marketing.

Anyway - call Crutchfield and talk to them. They are very helpfull. The problem with GM's is the steering wheel controls. Yes there is also a theft lock which will freeze the radio when you pull it out - but you are getting rid of it, so who cares. There shouldn't be any other issues.

But they do have some audio systems that will work with the steering wheel controls.

wka - get the GTP. It's well worth it. There is something special about having that badge. Remember some insurance companies charge more for it though. The sedan costs less to insure vs the coupe.
    Thanks for the response. I actually did talk to Crutchfield. They said they were unaware of any problems with that car. They said there are issues with other cars, but thought the GP was not an issue. Of course, that means I have two opinions! Now I guess I am looking for an "informed 3rd opinion". I would hate to be sitting in my garage at midnight with a face full of airbag because I unhooked the factory radio! That theft lock thing shouldn't hurt me because I programmed the code to enable it after power loss, so if I want to put it back in, I can.

I never even thought I would be able to salvage use of the steering wheel controls with aftermarket. I should check into that, too.

Anybody else have any experience?
  • toon1toon1 Member Posts: 19
    stereo! I had the stock with equalizer in my 2000 GT and was not impressed. As I spend a great deal of time in my car, I wanted something a little better!!
    Anyway, there are many to choose from at Crutchfields. However, only one can work with the steering wheel controls. That's Sony. They sell an adaptor that will allow those controls to work. I purchased one with the adaptor and it is much, much better. I did not replace speakers at this point as the stock seem to be fine. Mind you, I was not interested in the "bouncing down the road with bass", but I can't hear my cell phone ring and the sound is clear.
    I can't remember the exact model I purchased, but it is the Xplode series with four channel amp capability. The stereo was $179 and the adaptor for steering wheel controls was $100.
    Crutchfields is great. They send you the harness, antenna jumper and step by step instructions for your specific car. Lastly, not to be stereotypical, but I am a female and installed this myself! Good luck!
  • MEPSMan123MEPSMan123 Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 98 Pontiac Grand Prix SE but it didn't have the owner's manual. The engine oil has just been changed, but the reminder light still comes on, then goes off after about 20 seconds. How do I clear it?

In my 99 Chevy Silverado, to clear the reminder light, you turn the key on and off a few times and it cleared. Tried that figuring Pontiac is a GM product, but it didn't work.

Who has the book and knows how to clear? Thanks.
    Toon1! Thanks! The Circuit city guy must have been full of it. I shall procede!

MEPSMan123,

I'll check my manual tonight and post an answer for you tomorrow.
  • carrjarcarrjar Member Posts: 6
    Turn the ignition on but do not start, then pump the gas 3 times quickly. The light should then flash that it reset.
    It seems as though my computer is just about on the mark. Figured manually, I used 13.06 gallons between visits to the gas station. My computer read 13.1. Computer gas mileage was 25.7 and figured manually was 25.9.
    The bottom line, though, is it still isn't that great. I had a 2000 MC SS(3800 V6) and was getting just under 28 with the same driving habits, etc. Any more thoughts?
    Howdy Mr. Toon!

I don't believe you ever said whether or not you use synthetic oil. I firmly believe that after a "break-in period" with full synthetic oil, you will see about a mile to a mile-and-a-half per gallon improvement in your gas mileage.

I have personally seen this work for me.

Also, you stated that you drive 75 to 80 mph. Try slowing down to maybe 71 or 72 mph. The 75 isn't too bad, probably, but the 80 is definitely hurting your gas mileage. Wind resistance, Bro. They say about 75% or 80% of your horsepower is used to fight wind resistance at highway speeds, and wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed.

If you try slowing down, even if you don't switch to synthetic oil, let us know how it turns out. If you do BOTH, I can guarantee that you will see a nice improvement.

tsjay
    Toony Buddy, I am curious. If you don't mind my asking, how is it that you had a 2000 Monte Carlo SS and now have a 2000 Grand Prix? Was the MC a lemon? Did you wreck it?

Just tell me to mind my own business, if you want to.

tsjay
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Just did 1200 miles on a long weekend. Estimate 27 mpg doing between 70 and 75 mph. 4 in the car.

Car was comfortable for 4. Quiet. I even like to sit in the rear seat. CD stereo pretty good. Not audiophile stuff but decent.

Power galore for grades and passing. Moved into the left lane at 70 mph and some one tried to close on my six. Just poked the pedal and was doing 90. The boogey didn't try to follow.

One of the other drivers added that it was great for these long road trips because the car is so stable and responsive that it was less tiring to drive. The Michelin X-ones I put on not long ago are a plus because they sharpen up the steering response over the OEM Goodyear LSs.

Half way through the trip the 'service engine soon' came on. It went away immediately when I filled up with med grade gas but came back 3/4 through that tank. Then went away half way into the next tank. Anyone have any ideas?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I noticed that hiway mileage in the GT and GTP nis their forte. In town, it's a killer.

I used to get 28-30 on my GTP in straight hiway driving. As soon as I got off the interstate, it would drop like a stone.

My DIC was consistently .5 MPG or .5 gallons off.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sunfgtsunfgt Member Posts: 40
    Did you guys see the GP8 concept at the SEMA Auto Show? That would be a sweet ride.

Come on GM, build it.
  • gottagpgottagp Member Posts: 1
    Hey! I just got a brand new 2001 GTP after lurking here for a bit over a year. One of the things that really made me take a second look and got me in to testdrive was all of the extremely enthusiastic and very strong feelings about the car. And all I can say so far with it is wow. ruski, I think it was, said something interesting a bit ago about the 2001 having a beefed up transmission over the 2000s. Not that I'll be doing anything to it real soon because of the extended warranty, but it would be nice to know how much extra room to play with I'll have. gmpowertrain.com only has 2000 model year parts and I hadn't seen anything anywhere else about that particular change, so I would be very interested in any pointers anyone might have. Thanks!
    Anybody else notice that there are no negative posts in here about the Grand Prix? I'll bet there are very few other newsgroups that have no one griping about something on their particular type of car.

Grand Prix's must be awfully good cars,huh? Mine sure is! (But I still want a new Jeep Wrangler Sport.)

tsjay
    Thanks for all your input. Just one thing...I certainly don't mind "buddy" and "bro" at all, just thought if fair to you to let you know I am a female. Just happen to like cars!
    I've not tried synthetic as the oil was changed when I purchased the car(it was a demo), so, when I get it done, I'll give it a shot. As far as slowing down.....well, I'll try. Hard to do in this car. I had a 2000 MC SS, bought it right off the truck. It was (finally) bought back in October because of the engine cradle issue. Just didn't feel safe and they couldn't correct it and they didn't want to sell me another(not that I wanted another lemon!). So there 'ya go!!
    Hi Toon!

So you are of the female persuasion? You can still be my "buddy", but the "Bro" has to go, right?

Thanks for explaining about the MC SS. Now, which car do you like better? If the MC hadn't had the major problem, in other words, would you have preferred it or the Granp Prix?

Is it really only a difference in appearance? Aren't they built on the same chasis? How much different was the interior?

I don't know about why the MC was getting better gas mileage, but I do firmly believe you could improve the Grand Prix's gas mileage by switching to full synthetic oil. It seems to make sense that if friction is reduced so that you get better mileage, your engine life would be extended also.

I use Mobil 1 oil, but there are other brands of full synthetic oil that may be just as good.

Catch you later, "Buddy."

tsjay
    For all GTP owners, I have 2 questions about the RS-A tires. Firstly, how would you rate their comfort? Second, do they exhibit a tendency to look very flat, even when they are set to the recommended pressure?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    The RSA tires are as "comfortable" as any performance tire out there. They will be louder than less capable tires and not as smooth riding, but you get a better handling tire in return. They also seem to wear well. I had 40K miles on mine before I sold my GTP. They still had about 10K miles of tread left. This is excellent for a performance tuned tire. I know that they work well in summer and in the wet/snowy conditions we get in the midwest.

I think because of the profile of your car, you may mistake them as looking like they are low on air. This gives the GP it's aggressive, low to the ground look. If they check out with a tire guage, don't worry about it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    What's up Pal? Yeah, I guess Bro's gotta go, but "Buddy" will be just fine!
    It's a tough call between the MC and GP. I just loved the MC so much. I really liked the "different" look. Rather unique. I have grown into the GP though. I had to find something similiar, so the GP it was. To be honest, I feel like the GP has better accelaration, both off the line and when passing.
    Oh yea, part of the deal with this car was a "bra". I don't really have to be that "cool", but I had one on the MC(LeBra)and with all my highway driving, it really helps with chipped paint. I finally got it from GM(much, much better quality) and, with help from the hubby, put it on a few days ago. All I can say is...sharp!. Really gives the front end an all new look. Chat with 'ya soon!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    a lot of GTPers don't like RS-As. However they are pretty good. They perform very well in wet weather and are not bad at all in the winter.

Many months ago, there was a comparison in Automobile magazine. They compared three tires - Michelin XGT V4, GY Eagle RS-A, and some other tire. Michelin was a better performer overall, but RS-A did much better on wet surfaces, especially in braking on wet.

All modern tires have a tendency to look like they are a bit low on air.
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    As an Intrigue owner seriously considering a GTP once my lease is up (in January), I'd also like to chime in favoring the RS-A. My car has 'em, and they've been terrific...sharper handling than the Eagles LS that's standard on my car, and REALLY terrific in the wet. As far as road noise, I personally don't care!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    have sharper handling than the LSs and are pretty good in the wet.

Any one can offer a direct RS-A to Michelin comparo?
  • kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    I come from a family of very satisfied Honda Accord owners (I own one myself). My 89 Camry has reached the end of the line. I need to buy a new car and wanted to look at something different. After researching the car and the many positive posts that all of you have written, I went to test drive a new Grand Prix SE.

I got to the dealership and the car looked gorgeous from the outside. I went in and talked with the sales guy who was very cool (best car salesman I ever dealt with). He quoted me a price of 18K for a new 2001 Grand Prix SE. I was very happy so far and I couldn't wait to do the test drive. He let me take the test drive alone. I got in the car, all fired up about the possibility of purchasing one, and it was all down hill from there.

The upholstery on the seats was hideous. The seat was hard and uncomfortable. The control panel was a vertical rectangle of jumbled buttons. Not spread out and logically (and tastefully) done like in a Honda or Toyota. The interior felt cheap to me. I started driving the car. I was very impressed with the power of the engine and the handling and pickup. Trying to simulate real driving conditions, I went to hit the brakes hard (as if I was in traffic) and the car didn't stop on a dime. My old Camry had better brakes than these!! Then at a stoplight, I went to take off, and the engine actually hesitated for a millisecond. I was so disappointed. I decided then and there, it was a no go.

I'm not one of those people who blindly bash American cars. I really did go in there with an open mind, hopeful that a Grand Prix was for me.
    It wasn't.

I wish I could say otherwise. I wish I could say that I loved the Grand Prix and would be picking one up. I'm not saying that it is, but if this car is indicative of all cars the American car companies are rolling out, then the commentary that the American car companies have caught up to their Japanese counterparts is a myth.

I'll be going to the Honda dealership to be picking out a new Accord LX today.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The "Base" Pontiac Grand Prix SE has the 3100 HV V-6 engine (175HP) found on the Chevy Malibu. While this engine is fine for the malibu application is down right underpowered to propel the heavier and larger W-Body cars such as the Grand prix. may be, you owe it to yourself and reconsider to test drive a Grand Prix GT equipped with the sensational 3800 Series II V-6 engine (200HP) that moves this car with true verve. For a more exhalirating experience, try the Grand Prix GTP with the Supercharged version of the 3800 Series II engine and 240HP. I personally think that you rush to judgement on the Grand Prix having only tested the model with the underpowered engine.

Same as yourself, for the past 12 years I have owned nothing but Honda/Acura products (I also happened to own a 1989 Accord LX 5-speed carburated 2.0L engine)and while their cars are good in later years the quality and consistency in reliability has been slipping. This year I went for my first GM product a brand new 2000 Chevy Impala LS equipped with the 3800 Series II Engine. After 10,700 trouble free miles, I haven't looked back to Honda or any other Japanese products for that matter. I really got tired of Hondas...the same old with a different body shell and may be a bit bigger. The Grand prix is better enjoyed and a much better value on GT or GTP trims. The SE is better left off for car rental fleets.
    I'm not going to make excuses. Like the above post, you did indeed tested the lowest of the low on the Grand Prix line.

Not only does is not have the better engine, it has smaller tires (15" vs 16"), better suspension, etc. I own a 2000 GTP, and can tell you the vehicle has fantastic brakes. I don't know for sure if the SE has the same, or has smaller ones.

You are also missing out on options such as the HUD which is not present on the SE.

I can't comment on the cloth seats, because I only sat in leather. The seats are hard, but I like them that way. I'm not looking for the best luxury. Plus I don't think you get the 6 way power seats in the SE either.

As far as the rest of the interior is concerned, with the GT/GTP you get steering wheel controls, so I never have to reach over execpt to turn stuff on.

Could the switch gear and some of the buttons be of better quality? Yses. Could the interior use some better quality materials / fitting - yes.

But ask any GT or especially GTP owner, they will overlook that in favor of the total package. (looks, handling, power, style, features). I don't think you can ask the same of an SE owner. Honestly I think POntiac should drop the model.

Try testing a GTP for kicks and see if your opinion changes.

_KEvin_
    Just one more regarding the Grand Prix. Of course, everyone's opinions and needs are different. When shopping several months ago, I drove a Honda Accord EX. Although a nice car, for my money, the GT was the way to go. Agreeing with the above post, the fit and finish could use a little upgrade, but overall a better package. Please drive the GT before making your decision!
    Hi KC!

Whether you buy one or not, at least test drive a GT (or a GTP). I own a GT myself, and I am very happy with it. I haven't driven an SE model, but there must be a huge difference, based on your negative comments about the SE.

tsjay
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    why did you want to test drive an SE ?

Also you claim that you are not biased but then you rattle off a whole paragraph how the Grand Prix's interior basically sucked and how much better it was in a [bland] Toyota.

I find Grand Prix's interior to be ergonomically well executed and well laid out.

BTW - GTP's brakes are way better then SE's.
    New brakes usually are so-so, for about the first 200 miles. This is normal.

Did not drive Grand Prix, but know the Pontiac controls from driving a rented GrandAm. They are looking somewhat untasty and industrial, too big and imposing, when you just sit in the car the first time. But, unexpectedly, the controls turn very convenient when driving, especially driving/turning fast. Even before accustomed to the car.

This is like the big-button phones, designed first for handicapped. Turned to be convenient to healhy people too, especially when the hands and brains are busy.

As to the SE trim, I believe the 3.1l engine is barely adequate for this car. I like the 3.1l engine in my Malibu, but Malibu is a car of lesser class, than GP. Though, even with the 3.1, Grand Prix (and Malibu) have much better acceleration, than Honda Accord / Toyota Camry with 4 cylinders. For about the same price.
    I mean why even both with a Grand Prix if you are going to cheap out with an SE. Might as well as get a cheaper but better equipped Grand Am...
  • kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the feedback. I can't afford the GT or GTP, that's why I checked out the SE. Even with the 3.1, I found the engine to have a lot of pickup. The 3.8 must be like a jet.

I have a buddy who has a GTP and he has the leather seats, which he says makes a big difference in the look of the interior. I also just thought the control panel was a bit crowded together. The car just wasn't for me, what can I say?

I really did go in with an open mind. I was heavily leaning toward buying the car, before I went in there for the test drive. It's one of the sharpest looking cars out there. I'm glad that I checked it out.

I went and bought a 2001 Honda Accord LX 5 speed last night. Conservative, yeah. Is it me, yeah. No regrets.

Being a car enthusiast, I will continue reading the posts. And you guys are right, you hardly read anything negative about the Grand Prix'. Want to read negative, go to the Ford Taurus and Windstar sites. Ouch.
    You can buy a new 2001 Honda Accord LX 5-speed for under $20,000. Kc Flynn...enjoy your new car, what really counts is to buy what you like!
    Sorry about the long delay, was busy over the long weekend. I agree that the Eagle RS-A are good all-round tires. I haven't had too much chance to test them under aggressive driving conditions (roads are too straight in the city), but they seem to do well in the heavy rain of the Northwest and very well in the occasional snowfall. Treadwear is quite good, I think I can hit 100K km with mine, but that's because there aren't really any twisties where I am.

As for the flat look, I know that the modern radials do tend to look like that. However, the numerous rice rockets I see with even lower aspects than my 205/55 seem to look just fine. Despite having the correct pressure, mine still look a bit flattish, especially in the front, since it is probably quite front heavy,

BTW, I actually have a Sunfire GT, not a GP, but I just wanted to get your feedbacks on the tires since they are the same model. Sure, sizes are different, but they should be basically the same.

As for X-One vs. RS-A, I don't know. I would say that it may be hard to compare them, since they are in a bit of a different league. However, the X-One looks to be an excellent touring tire
    Why does Pontiac even offer the SE? I've always seen it as interfering with the sporty image of the GP.
    Why does Pontiac offer SE? Possibly, because there is enough demand for W-body cars with 3.1l and 3.4l engine... Who knows, it is conceivable even that the demand is higher than for GT and GTP.

Hard to say definitely, the GM data sales I saw does not provide break-up by model trim, only by model. Though, the Buick Century, a tween of SE, sells very well. Twice better than Regal LS and GS combined - basically the same cars as GT and GTP. And about as well as all trims of GP sedans and coupe combined, including SE.

On the other hand, the Olds Intrigue, a nice and powerful car which is not offered in a smaller-engine trim, does not sell well.

http://media.gm.com/corpcom/00news/g001101b.htm
    The 3100 V-6 is not the best engine choice for the W-Body cars. If GM insists in keeping around the Century and the GP SE they should drop in the engine bay the 3400 OHV V-6 (180HP) found in the base Impala sedan. The 3400 has better torque and powerband to propel the added weight of this platform. The 3100 V-6 is much better suited for the P90 or N-body cars such as the Malibu, Grand Am and Alero. Even the Grand Am GT offers the 3400 V-6 engine as standard fare on that trim level..go figure!
    I have impression, that at first GM tested the 3400 with a mini-van. Then, starting from 99, the corporation went to put the engine in all new models of about right size. But do not bother to
    redesign the older cars and continue producing them with 3100. Even while there is not so much difference between the 3100 and 3400 engines.

By the way, GrandAm/Alero is not available with
    3100. Either 4 cylinders, or 3400 v-6.
    The only N-body to use the 3100 V-6 is the Malibu.
  • 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    I had an older version of the 3100, just the plain old 3.1mpi with 135hp in a '90 Beretta. I always thought it was pretty snappy. Of course it was in a fairly light car. It was pretty quick off the line, but quickly ran out of breath above 50mph. I will say this however, till this day I have never driven a car with an engine that responded quicker than that 3.1. It was amazing how fast it would kickdown a gear or just plain accelerate. If my 3800 responded as quick as that, it would take a whole second off 1/4 mile times.
    The same with my 98 Malibu and 155 hp 3100. Very fast acceleration from stop. Probably better, than with 200 hp v-6 Camry: several times passed them from traffic lights. But so-so acceleration when entering highway, especially the last leg, after 45-50 mph.

But now I have impression, that my new Buick accelerates from stop even faster. Only more smooth - did not feel the low-end acceleration at first.
  • bajabillbajabill Member Posts: 60
    I did this when shopping. I cant tell or time 0-60 very well and do not place much value on it. But, everyday, while driving on a highway, I need to accelerate. So, while in overdrive, cruise calmly at 60, floor it, time till 80. This is a good, real life, test of the engine, and transmission downshift ability. I agree, it is not fair to compare auto and manual tranys together this way.
    Would consider wrong to floor a new car - even more when it is not mine.

Any case, I believe the Grand Prix does not need to be floored. Would accelerate beautiful even half-way through, at 3600-4000 rpm.

I have a tween car, the Buick Regal geezermobil. Need watching speedometer when passing. Otherwise it jumps to 95 mph in few seconds, and does not matter if I drive uphill. Even while I do not use the power shift mode.
  • bajabillbajabill Member Posts: 60
    I try to get one that is a demo that the salesman is driving. For me, I usually look at used ones so they are well beyond the break in period. Try it on your regal. I was not overly impressed with the GP GT but is was not a dog by any means, never drove a GTP.

I work near an auto plant, they take the vehicles to a parking lot near a train loading spot. It is about a 2 mile drive and they get about 10 punks to drive them there. You can tell because they have shrink wrap on the hood and let me tell you, they do not respect the break in policy. It is a street race for them.

I wont disclose the make/model but many of you probably have one.
    The 60 to 80 acceleration time is a good measure for important real-time situation: highway passing.

I drive fast and pass often. Though, would not engage in passing, if it requires flooring. Just yesterday drove to next exit and returned, instead of passing, too fast or too close, a group of vehicles clogging access to my exit. Even while passing them was not so difficult technically.

Other numbers are telling other things. For example, the 0-30 time is much better measure of power in city traffic, while 30-60 used to tell how easy is to merge into highway traffic. 30-70 would be a better measure with the current highway speeds.

0-60 does not tell much by itself, just combines the two above numbers.

Most modern engines, including the Cadillac V-8 and Intrigue 3.5l V-6, as well as Camry and Accord V-6, shine at higher rpm, but are so-so in city. Older GM engines, like 3100 in GP SE, provide very good acceleration from full stop, but mediocre one at higher speed. The same, but to lesser extent, is true with the venerable 3800 in GP GT: it provides excellent low-rev acceleration, but only good one at higher speed.

To highway warriors I would recommend Intrigue, while GT, Buick, Impala or Monte-Carlo better fit the city / mixed driving.

According to your profile, you have a Cadillac. Never drove one: the car requres higher incomes. But, according to Edmunds, Regal GS, with 88% of the weight of DeVille DTS, have only 80% of its power.

The above numbers suggest that Regal must be slower than DeVille. Though, the specs demonstrates the opposite: the Buick makes 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, vs. 7.3 seconds for the Caddy. I see the only explanation: a better low-end torque for with the old-technology 3800 engine. I.e., most probably, GS easily wins 0-30.
This discussion has been closed.