Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• 96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    Yes you have to be careful when passing or you could end up with a ticket. Just today I needed to pass someone very quickly so I gave it a pretty good jab of the throttle. I was going 95mph before I knew it and didn't even realize it the car rode so smooth and quiet. Even though the 3800 is a pushrod, it still is very quick in the upper rpm range and on the highway. Just the other day someone raced me with a mid '90's GTP (3.4DOHC V6). I beat him handily. All the way up to 80mph and I was still slowly pulling away then I let off for obvious reasons. I thought his engine was going to blow up as I passed by him, was very noisy. (We were on an open four lane road, I don't race often). I was pretty impressed that a pushrod took an OHC motor.
  • sunfgtsunfgt Member Posts: 40
    Punks street racing, huh? I wonder what would happen if someone like 60 Minutes found out. Talk about lawsuit.
    OHC engines are sometimes overhyped. Just because you have an OHC doesn't mean you can beat a pushrod; there are a lot of factors to consider. Everything considered, the 3800 has to be GM's best pushrod apart from LS6; it's been around for a long time. If it isn't good, it would have never lasted for so long.
    The 3.4DOHC engine made 210-215 horsepower. So it is actually a more powerful engine. It had I believe 220 lbs of torque. The 3.8 is so smooth in its power delivery, it just outperforms it every time. Every mag test shows that the 3.8 outdoes the old 3.4 even though it makes slightly less horses. I confirmed that the other night...
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    One thing I notice in my GTP - when getting onto the highway, I allow myself less acceleration room than previously.

So sometimes people flash me or beep me, or move to another lane, but with that supercharger at full boost, I am up to speed and moving further away from them than before..ha!!

One ticket repellant is my Valentine One. I've been saved several times. Having a hud does help with speed regulation as well...
    I know this is tremendously out of topic, but I thought I'd ask you guys on this board because you all seem to be pretty knowledgeable about cars in general.

Yesterday, I took off from a stop and I thought my gear selector was in the 2 position. When I was going 10-15 km/h, I shifted it up 2 notches, thinking it would go to D. Unfortunately, the selector was already in D, which means that I shifted into R. Oops! There was kind of like a thud, at which point I realized my mistake and immediately brought it back down to N before going to D.

According to the manual (and common sense), this is very bad for the tranny (the manual says damage may result from shifting into R while moving). I drove back all the way home yesterday and in this morning, looking for anything odd, but it still seems to function like normal. However, I am worried about what that mistake may have done. I am taking the car in on Saturday for an oil change; should I ask them to take a look at the tranny?

In short, I guess what I'm asking is how bulletproof is GM's 4T-40 tranny? What is the likelihood that I damaged something, and how can I tell if I did?

Thanks in advance
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    THe only real way to know if you did any tranny damage would be to have them open it up...very costly. They could drop the pan and look for any shavings.

Not to rain on your parade, but you did probably the worst thing you could do to your tranny short of running it with no fluid.

That said, if it seems to be running OK, you may have lucked out. The GP transmissions are some of the best in the biz.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    What happen did happen. Either you are lucky, or will need an expensive repair, nothing depends on you already.

Though, the next time:

- do not use automatic transmissions in manual mode, except when driving down a long mountain;

- but, if you need shifting, do not push the safety botton on the shift lever, when switching from 2 or 3 to D.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    I too had the occasion to zip from highway cruising speed up to 90 effortlessly. Left the boogey closing on my six in the dust.

Anybody input as to when the 3800 starts to run short of breath? Just curious. I'm not interested in trying to find out myself. Someone did post earlier on bumping the 110 speed limiter but did not characterize engine performance in that range.
    I always thought the computer would not let the tranny shift into R at speed. I thought there was some kind of a function that would physically keep it from sliding up into the R position. I shift manually from D to OD all the time on the highway when driving out of town. I always push the button and slowly slide it up to the OD position. The worst that can happen is it going into neutral which I've never done. I guess I'll be even more careful when shifting on the road. Note- I only shift from 3rd to 4th at highway speeds, I never downshift manually or upshift manually any other time.

The 3800 reaches its power peak (200/240hp) at 5200rpm. The redline is at 6000rpm, I have a orange line starting at 5500rpm. Revving the engine faster than 5200rpm is fruitless, as power begins to drop off and the engine really undergoes stress. Your engine will rev all the way to redline if pushed really hard, but it really is pointless, unless you like noise. The fastest I ever get mine is about 5000rpm. I have before hit redline while being way to aggressive with the throttle. I know the engine can handle it, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable. BTW, I have a friend with a '99 SVT Contour. His redline is at 6750rpm. He accidentally downshifted to first gear when he wanted to shift into third coming from fith gear. His tachometer jumped all the way to over 8000rpm for just a split second. Needless to say he wasn't happy. Man, this turned out to be a long post!
    Thanks for all your responses. I had the gut feeling that I did something REALLY bad; that was confirmed. As for what to do...since I cannot feel any difference, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and watch and wait. I think I'm due for a tranny fluid and filter change either this or next service; I can ask them to drop the pan and take a look; shouldn't be too much of a problem during a change.

As to shifting around, there's this one part where I go everyday that's full of sharp bumps spaced out in 5 metre intervals, followed by stop signs spaced out in 15 metre intervals. I just set the shifter in 2, so that it won't shift to 3rd, which holds my speed down, so that I don't have to keep jumping from accelerator to brake. After I clear that part, the road becomes normal, and I usually shift back to D once I get rolling after the last stop. There is usually no problem, but I was uh, distracted that day and put it in D instead of the usual 2, and stupidly didn't look down at my dash before shifting (problem resulting from having an auto).

yurakm: What is this safety button you're talking about? Is it only on the GP?

96gs: There probably is a computer that is smart enough to stop idiots like me. I'm sure that it exists on the GP tranny, but I wouldn't try it. However, that function doesn't exist for me because my car is a Sunfire (read cheap) and you only get nicer things if you pay more.
    Do not know about Sunfire, but there is a big button on the shift lever handles of my Chevy Malibu and Buick Regal. I believe, most other cars with shifts on floor have such a button.

This is for tranny safety. You have to press the button by thumb, when shifting from park to rear, then neutral, then D and so on. But it cames into habit very soon, and nobody thinks about the button any more.

Though, when returning the shift from 2 or 3 to D, there is no need to press the button. Without pressing it, the tranny will never jump from D to neutral. Just move the lever forward, till it stops.

Of course, you must check it first with your car, when it does not move.
    Really? I didn't know that. I always pushed down on the button when shifting from D to OD.
    Only the last spring read somewhere about this feature, and started to use it with Malibu. The Malibu brake rotors were prone to overheating and warping. The car asks for shifting to 2 on long road descents.

Do not remember, if ever shifted to 2 our new Regal. Most probably, yes - when tested it on delivery.
  • estopestop Member Posts: 10
    96gs,do you have a overdrive position on your shifter? My position indicator on my '00 GTP reads P-R-N-D-3-2-1. Is it different on GT than GTP-or maybe changed on later model years? The reason that I even ask, is that I am a little uncomfortable with how often my GTP shifts in suburban traffic. I have been using "Drive" more as an overdrive than drive,and have been wondering how others have been driving theirs.
    The only automatics that I have driven for the last 15 years have been large V8s,so the shifting may just be typical of V6s and nothing to be concerned about??
    I guess what I am asking--Should I just leave it in drive? TIA for any response. Gary
    how many mph in high gear?
    Went to the parking lot and checked the feature again, with the both cars. Turned to be, I was right in principle, but not in specifics.

The button must be pressed when shifting from the park. Then the lever can be moved, without pressing the button, through R, N, and to D. A potential problem with shifting to D, while still backing-up, but who backs-up fast?

The button must be pressed again to move the lever to 3. Then it can be moved to 2 and even to 1 without pressing the button. At least on Malibu - I need to recheck this again with Regal, to be sure.

In the opposite direction the lever can be moved freely from 1-2-3-D-N. I was wrong in this point: the cars can be put on neutral without pressing the button.

Though, switching from N to R requires the button to be pressed. The same with putting the cars on Park.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, people, there are still a few left-over 2000 Grand Prix's out there with a $2000.00 GM rebate on them. You know the dealer can knock off a thousand or two also, so there's some real nice cars with killer deals on them.

I am selling my Grand Prix, or trading it in if it doesn't sell, when my new Wrangler comes in. (I ordered a new Jeep Wrangler Sport Tuesday)

Yeah, Maureen, it's true. I'm getting out of the Grand Prix and into a Wrangler.

I have not one single complaint about the Grand Prix GT. I couldn't have asked more from this car: great looks, good fuel economy, peppy engine, roomy interior, large trunk, and no mechanical problems of any kind in 19,0000 miles.

I just got this urge to have a Jeep, and I hope I don't regret this later.

I would recommend a Grand Prix GT to anyone. For the money spent, you could never begin to get as much value with any other car.

I'll stop by this group once in a while to talk to my buddies. Come on over to Wrangler IV (I think that's the name of the current group) and visit once in a while you guys.

tsjay
    estop- Actually I have a Regal. I rechecked and I was wrong. Mine says 1-2-3-D on the counsel not 1-2-D-OD, even though it means the same thing. I always just leave it in 3rd gear in town. If I put it in fourth, it down and upshifts more frequently. I usually leave it in 3rd until heading out on an open road with speeds more than 50mph. If I have it in fourth and take off from a dead stop, it usually shifts into fourth gear at around 47mph. One thing I like about the transmission is when I'm coming off an on ramp climbing a little incline the tranny knows not to shift into fourth gear until it reaches a higher speed giving me more power. I am also impressed the way the 3800 loafs along at 2000rpm at 75mph.

heng- That totally depends on how you drive. If you floor it from a dead stop it will rev way past 5200 in a hurry, meaning you're probably only going 25mph or less. Of course if you floor it on the highway, the speed would be much higher. As far as the top speed at 5200rpm, I don't know. I took my car up to the speed limiter once (around 115mph), my car was still only tached at 3600rpm!

yurakm- Thanks for the info.

tsjay- Good luck with the Wrangler. Those are pretty nice vehicles.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Also...tread lightly...and.....hope that Wrangler can keep you smiling while contemplating the passing tailights of other GP's!

Dude, what got into you????
    What made you switch from a fast, comfortable and good looking coupe to a racous, harsh and primitive vehicle such as the Wrangler? True, they are two different beasts with different missions in life, but still it baffles my mind how can a GP owner chooses to step just about 50 years back in time and get a Jeep Wrangler? Oh by the way and a Chrysler product???

Don't mean to rain in your parade as they say, but I wonder if you'll be a happy camper 6 months down the road driving one of these things?

To each his own!

Good luck with that Wrangler. I would have kept the GP GT in my garage, just in case ;-)
    I don't know, man. I just have this tremendous urge to go primitive. I think a Jeep would be an absolute blast to have.

I definitely wish I could afford to keep the Grand Prix and still have a Jeep to play with, but I don't make that kind of lettuce.

I have traded way too often in the past and gotten myself way in the hole. I will HAVE to keep this Jeep for several years, so I'm hoping it will be a vehicle I can be satisfied with.

You guys keep those Grand Prix's all cleaned up and looking good. Take care of them. They are GREAT cars! Mine has never been back to the dealer for any kind of problem in its first 19,000 miles.

I may regret this whole deal, but I sure hope not.

I'll stop by this group pretty often and let you guys know how things are going.

tsjay
  • estopestop Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the response 96gs. Top gear really does feel like an overdrive.
    I was seriously considering a Regal GS, but at the time I was ordering a GM PEP car they had about 130 GTP coupes available and about 20 GS Regals, so I figured my odds of drawing a car quick were alot better with the Grand Prix.
    They called me back in a week and I couldn't be happier than with the one they came up with.
    A very well equiped black GTP coupe.
    I've hade it for six months and it has been an absolutely perfect car. I think I'll keep it awhile. 8^)
    I hope I haven't messed up big time by what I've done, people. I have ordered a new Jeep Wrangler Sport, and I will be trading-in my 2000 Grand Prix GT Sedan.

Now that I know my days are numbered with the GP, I am really appreciating her more than ever. This car has been letter perfect since day one: no trips back to the dealer for any kind of warranty work, not even any minor adjustments!

I get great gas mileage, she's really peppy, and she is beautiful!

I wish someone I know would buy her, and not just so I would get more money for her. I would like to know that she would go to someone who would really appreciate her and take good care of her.

Oh well, I hope I enjoy that Jeep. It will have a tough act to follow.

tsjay
    Sound like you've already got buyer's remorse with the Jeep and you really haven't even bought it yet.

Just curious...do you do a lot of serious off-roading? That's really the only reason to have a Jeep. If you like the fact that it can be turned into a convertible, there are better alternatives like a Miata, or the the ChryCo Sebring. The Jeep's top is a bear to put on and take off.

Just be prepared for a terrible ride and woeful handling with the Jeep. On the road, the jeep will beat you to death. It's not very fast and it's loud.

That said, if you do a lot of serious (and I do mean serious) back woods, bolder climbing off-roading, the Jeep is the one to have.

If you do just some unpaved, gravel driving, any of the mini SUVs will please you more (Escape, Rav4, any of the Subarus).

You'll miss the GP more than you think if none of these scenarios is intended for the jeep.
    Thanks, pal, for your advice.

I think a big part of my problem is the fact that I ordered a Jeep rather than just buying one off a dealer's lot. I have never ordered from the factory before, and I would normally be driving that new vehicle at this stage of the game instead of wondering if I had done the right thing.

I still think I want that Jeep, despite the disadvantages. I know I'm giving up a great car.

And, no, graphicguy, I don't plan on any real severe off roading. I just think that a Jeep would be really, really fun to have.

Call me crazy. I will always be a big fan of the Grand Prix after owning this one. You guys take care of your babies. Keep 'em clean and drive them with pride!

tsjay
    Good Luck!

A friend of mine has a Jeep (2nd one). He loves it. He does zero off-roading.

I'll never downplay what anyone else chooses to drive.

If you don't mind me asking, what do those run these days cost wise?
  • csmith7csmith7 Member Posts: 6
    I while back, we talked about putting a stereo in your 2000 GP GT. Well, I ordered from Crutchfield and put it in. I did speakers and in dash Sony and CD changer. My question is about the steering wheel controls. When I hooked that adapter up, the buttons on the steering wheel do things, but not what they say they will do. Do your steering wheel buttons function as labeled with the Sony or have you had to re-learn the steering wheel button functions?
    I hope you really get to enjoy that Jeep! Can't really understand your reasons to leave a great automobile for a WWII Army vehicle. True the Jeep is a very versatile vehicle if used solely for its intended purpose: Hardcore off roading. I see you trading this Wrangler back for a GP in about 6 months. Hope is not too late, but you should reconsider this Wrangler deal a bit more. Also take into consideration the fact of dealing with Chrysler, Chrysler dealers, service, etc...Crapola! I would have understand your reasons better if you were aiming at getting a Suburban/Yukon, etc...but a Chrysler retrograd product?

Oh well dude, enjoy and I sincerely hope you don't regret this Wrangler deal later on.
  • only5speedonly5speed Member Posts: 4
    I hate to say it, but every single GM car I have driven, felt cheap and poorly assembled. I cannot understand why people are buying them. I still stick with Hondas & Nissans (5-speed manual please). They are conservative but well built & fun-to-drive. Grand Prix is unacceptable since it does not offer manual tranny...what kind of a "sporty" car is that??
    Are you stuck in the 1970's?
    Have you tried out the entire range of GM cars from Metro to Cadillac and Corvette? If not, you should do so. Sure, some of the lower-end cars may feel cheap and not well assembled (maybe due to volume problems), but the better cars are pretty good.

Besides, since when have Hondas and Nissans been especially fun-to-drive? They are definitely more on the conservative side of the market; Accord is a joke when it comes to performance. And GP being not sporty with an auto? Try the GTP; it's no slower than a Maxima with 5 speed
  • csmith7csmith7 Member Posts: 6
    If you hate GM cars so much, why are you hangin in this chat room? We prefer to keep our "GM Colored-tunnel vision" glasses on. You see, if we restrict our contact to other GP owners who love there cars so much to be in this chat room at all, then we will have no choice but to feel really warm inside! We know we will all make better grand parents later!

BTW: when I bought my GP, it was either a Maxima or a GP GT, but the premium gas prices for me were killer. I do wish I could have the GP GT with a 5 speed-that could be the perfect car.
  • toon1toon1 Member Posts: 19
    Glad you were able to get your new stereo in. How does it sound and what kind of speakers did you get? I am considering the component system later on.
    Anyway, my controls do what they say. I have had absolutely no problem. I can't remember the color of the wire; however, there were two(blue, i think) that were similiar. I had it wired to the wrong one initially, and the volume just continued to increase when I pushed the volume button. Check that and if not, call 'em. They seem to be really helpful. Let me know!
  • isellpontiacsisellpontiacs Member Posts: 2
    They are becoming a thing of the past. With front wheel drive becoming more prevelant, they are just too hard to incorporate into the drive systems.

I love 5 speeds (6 speeds too). However, they are slowly being phased out.

Now, Grand Prix interiors looking cheap? I never saw that. Wanna see cheap, look at an Intrepid.

Matt Drake I.S.M.
    I think you are wrong sir.

Front wheel drive handles better in poor weather, but with the advent of traction control and active suspensions - we see all the luxury, large and performance sedans all use rear wheel drive.

Look, the Lincoln LS is the first Lincoln ever to have a rear wheel drive manual shift system. Notice how it garnished much praise - because all the good cars (mercedes, bmw) are rear wheel drive.

GM is going to shift some of the larger cars (i.e. Bonneville) to a rear wheel drive chasis in a few years.

If anything, rear wheel drive auto's are becoming more prevelant. And 5 speeds will be in demand by enthusiasts driving the more performance oriented cars.
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    I plan to lease a Grand Prix within the month. But I'm unsure if I should get a GT or GTP. I love the GTP's engine, and prefer the GTP's RS-A tires to the GT's LS tires. But am concerned about the additional gas expense of the GTP.

One thought I had was to get the GT, then swap out the LS tires for RS-A's. Am I right in assuming that there are no suspension differences between the two cars, just tires?

Please give me your input and experiences! Thanks!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    GTP gets 27mpg on highway
    GTP all the way. You'll regret not having the extra power. Doesn't cost much more anyway.
    I have Regal GS - almost the same thing as GP GTP.

1. The supercharged engine drinks about 10% more gas;

2. The 93 premium gas costs about 10% more than the regular 87.

3. The insurance is somewhat higher too. Do not remember the quote exactly, but something like $100 more per year.

4. The property tax also will be somewhat higher.

Total about $300-$350 difference per year.

If you can afford a GP GT on the first place, most probably you also can afford the extra ownership costs of GP GTP. The question is: does it pay or not? Is this the best use of the $300?

Personally, I am sure it does pay for my wife and me. We enjoy the extra power. Much more than, for example, the cable TV. And the enjoyment costs us only about $1 per day, less than the cable.

As to you, it depends on your tastes.
  • amassa1amassa1 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing a Pontiac GP SE.
    Does anyone have any information as to the reliability of this vehicle?
    I have a '98 SE with the 3.8 and 16" wheels. The oxygen sensor was replaced within 2 weeks of picking up the car but hasn't been back in 25,000 miles. Also we don't seem to have the problems the Olds Intrigue seems to have.

Also owned older cars with the 3.8 and never had a problem.
  • voiture99voiture99 Member Posts: 1
    You can find some consumer ratings at msn carpoint's
    website.
    Get a GT - don't bother with an SE. It's too stripped, makes to many compromises. It's a mediocre car at best. At least this year it shares the same snouth with the other GP's - cause the old one looked hideous.
    R-R or Ferrari would be even better.
    Howdy Toonie!

Sounds like you saw my birth announcement in Wrangler IV.

Yep, her name is Thelma Jane. The latest generation of Jeep Wranglers are called TJ's, so I needed a name with the initials "TJ," which are, by the way, my initials (Tom Johnson). I told my wife that that was a sign from above that I was supposed to get a new Jeep, but I don't think she bought it.

Did you see my poem in Wrangler IV about getting a Jeep?

I'm hoping for Friday or Saturday for getting my Thelma Jane home. Might be next week though. I think she's still in Toledo right now.

Nice of you to visit over in Wrangler IV. Come visit any time!

tsjay (Thelma's Dad)
    Ok. For all my buddies here in Grand Prix 2, I will post my Jeep poem.

Momma don't understand,
    And I could just strangle 'er.
    Daddy's gotta have,
    A brand new Wrangler.
    I toss and I turn,
    And can't go to sleep.
    I'm thinkin' about,
    That brand new Jeep.
    She's shiny and white,
    With a top that is black.
    Thirty inch tires,
    A spare on the back.
    Mortgage the house,
    Rob the 401 K.
    Get a down payment,
    On that new TJ.
    Some way some how,
    She's gonna be mine.
    I'll buy that Jeep,
    And Momma can whine!

You guys be good and take care of those Prix's.

Come visit in the Jeep Wrangler IV topic and holler at me.

I'll stop by here once in a while too.

tsjay
    My mistake. You were in the "Wrangler Consolidation" topic. I post there some, but mostly in "Wrangler IV."

Anyway, it was nice to hear from you.

I'll miss all of my Grand Prix buddies, so I hope all of you will come over to Wrangler IV once in a while.

tsjay
    Here's a couple pics of my Grand Prix that I'm trsding in on a Jeep Wrangler.

http://pm8.ps.photoworks.com/SfwOnline/albums/displayalbum.asp?AlbID=303361

tsjay
    I am trying to get started with photopoint.com, which is supposed to work well. Maybe I can post a link to that service once I get set up.

My Jeep came in today!!!!

I love it, love it, love it!

tsjay
This discussion has been closed.