Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• 2002gtz2002gtz Posts: 5
    This is my first time post here, but I've enjoyed reading some of the postings. I have a 2002 GTZ and want to lower it with some Eibrich Springs. Will this void out my warranty?

I have been to thegalantcenter.com but am unable to find anything pertaining to ground effects there. Does anybody know of a good website to look at for ground effects or am I just blind and didn't see it at thegalantcenter.com?
    I know I said Eibrich, but I meant Eibach. I don't know what was going through my head.
  • If you need info on bodykits or suspension, drop me a line. I just installed an aftermarket hood, front end and coilovers.
  • anviezanviez Posts: 1
    where can I find bodykits and mods for this vehicle ?
  • cxshortiecxshortie Posts: 15
    Check out thegalantcenter.com there is plenty of information on mods and bodykits and everything galant.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    You mean no one in here is discussing the all new 04 Galant now that pictures and info have been released?? What are current owners thoughts on increasing the engine size from 3.0 to 3.8? The Galant is also substantially bigger. Are people happy or disappointed in that? Come on folks, lets get this forum buzzing with opinions!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    Personally I think it's lame Mitsu put their truck engine in a car. Doesn't make sense. MPG will probably suffer as a result.
  • marcinmarcin Posts: 64
    Where are the pics and updated info? All I've seen are spy pics and some "maybe" shots.
    How is it lame? Doesn't GM use a 3.8 in their midside sedans? Mitsu had to do something with their V6 or risk being left in the dust by the Accord and Altima. I think mileage will be about 1 mpg lower than the 3.0 in the real world because the large amount of torque available low in the rpm range will mean there will be less of a need to rev the engine high or floor it, thus using less gas. I think 1 mpg is worth the extra 35 hp and class leading torque.
    Check out www.autoweek.com or edmunds.com under the New York auto show link to see pics and info on the new 04 Galant.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    BUT- Nissan has issues putting 246lbs through its front wheels, so it seems logical to expect that torque steer may be an issue on the Galant as well. Also, what will the increased weight of an engine that is 1.4L larger than the base engine do to the cars handling?

Purely opinion: Displacement, while a very patriotic method, IMO, isnt always the best way to equip a vehicle with strong, refined accleration. Honda impresses me a bit more.

~alpha
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    Why not tune the 3.0L engine for more power? Why go to an engine that's almost 1 liter bigger. Again, it's a truck engine. As much torque as it has that doesn't mean it's the best choice for a sedan.
  • I have a '96 Mitsubishi Galant that keeps stalling -- First the car wouldnt move and when I took it to the dealer he said it was a transmission problem. Cost me close to 3k to get that done.
    A few months later the car started having intermittent problems with starting and stalling etc. I took it to a transmission guy who said he couldnt find anything wrong, and then took it to the dealer twice and he said he couldnt find anything wrong either ' unless it acts up when I drive it'. The car kept stalling erratically and finally when I took it back to the dealership for a thirs time he said that the 'computer' and distributor have to be replaced. Cost? $1490!!
    The car has done a 100,000 miles...
    What do you guys think I should do? Should I retire the caar and get another one, or shoould I get this repaierd? And if so, should I try another mechanic or stick with the arrogant, offhand and incompetent Mitsubishi dealership...

I appreciate your help
  • vadim_stvadim_st Posts: 13
    Sambates69, IMHO: keep the car, forget about the dealer, find an old [Italian] mechanic. Also, it looks like you may have trouble with wires, and not necessarily the computer, and that could be a pain to locate and fix. Dealers won't bother, I am afraid.
    I'll pose the same question that I did earlier, does anybody know if installing Eibach springs on a 2002 GTZ will void out the warranty? If I do install the springs, will I have to install anything else or just have the wheels aligned?
    More than likely, your warranty would be voided on the suspension only. Meaning, your shocks, springs, bushings, wheel bearings, and tire rods would no longer be covered under warranty, if the dealer can prove your alteration caused the problem. However, they could not void the warranty on anything else. If you install the springs, you shouldn't need to do anything but a wheel alignment.
  • oskwioskwi Posts: 88
    I have a 1996 Galant S that was a former lease...I bought it with 10,800 miles in 1999 loaded with leather, moonroof, CD/tape, power l/w, etc. I have over 174,000 miles on it now and have had very few problems with it...the biggest concern has been a radiator cap ($14) and some burned out switches that I replaced myself once the parts came in! Most of my driving is highway and in Buffalo, NY, where the winters are long and harsh! Recently, I have some clunking in the right front side of the car when I am traveling between 15-30 mph over bumps in parking lots or in the road. The steering is still tight, though! It is NOT the tiebars (replaced numerous times under a recall), wheel bearings (done at 98,000), tires (new ones every Thanksgiving weekend regardless because of the snows), calipers, rack & pinion steering,etc. You name it, it has been maintained or ruled out. A dealership during my travels in TN thought that it was the strut bushings...the struts were actually hitting the metal frame, they thought. At my home dealership, they assumed the same thing, and $600 later, the problem is still there! The struts have never been replaced and they weren't leaking so I don't think they were really worn...as I mentioned, ALL of my driving is highway, and the highways here really aren't that bad, all things considered. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what this might be? I am in the process of buying another car...but this car will become my mother's car and I want to make sure it is safe. Any information would be greatly appreciated! I have been reading info. on this site for quite some time and finally broke down and logged in.

P.S. I am still considering a new Galant or a Mazda P5...I think I want something I can transport things in...being a graduate student, the price is a major concern. I have read wonderful things about the P5 and lackluster reviews about the Galant...Consumer Reports gives it a poor in reliabilty. My question is "What's unreliable with the new ones?" My 1996 has been a real champ and I haven't seen too much negativity regarding the newer ones on this site, or any others for that matter. I'm wondering what Consumer Reports sees that I obviously don't. Please fill me in!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Are you sure CR has given the most recent Galant a "Poor" rating? I thought it got an average mark. You can find out for yourself why if you look at the reliability table for the Galant in the April 2003 auto issue, then compare that to the statistical average model table that is provided in the beginning of that section.

~alpha
    I can almost guaranty you its the struts. 174k is a lot of miles on a shock, regardless of where those miles were accumulated. Typical struts last a max of 150k and they start loosing effectiveness long before they fail completely. You may think the car still handles tight but I guaranty you will notice a big improvement in shock control and handling once you replace them. Worn out struts will clunk without visible leaks. I suggest you replace them. You should have let them replace the shocks when they disassembled them to replace the strut bushings. It would have saved you a lot of money. Another possible source of the noise is a worn out CV joint but usually those will click as you turn in addition to clunk over bumps. Good luck.

As for the new Galants, they are very reliable cars. Early models had issues with warped front rotors and a few interior rattles. Overall though, their mechanical reliability is top notch as long as you replace the auto tranny fluid every 30k. The engine is the same one you have now, so if you had good luck with it, you shouldn't expect anything different. You might want to look into the Galant DE if you want high value and reasonable list of features. They were offering a 3k rebate, making them about 14,500 new, in April. At that price, it's hard to ignore the Galant's value.
    Thanks for the prompt reply. In response to Intonge18, I did replace the struts and there is still the noise. You are right, though, regarding the overall steering and response after the new struts were put on...much better. I'm still concerned about the safety issue. Many would say to dump the car, but financially it has been a phenomenal car and my mother likes it better than her 1994 Corsica...a complete piece of junk with two transmissions, three air conditioning systems, several ABS sensor replacements, two new stereos, etc. That was a bad experience and one of the reasons I decided to "buy foreign" if that truly exists anymore! I have been very pleased, especially on a then poor undergraduate student, now graduate student's budget!

As for alpha01, I am looking at the 2002 CR sheet for the Galant and it says in the opening sentence "The Galant's reliability has deteriorated, so we can no longer recommend this otherwise capable car..." I was shocked when I read this, and from different postings I've read, I don't see too much wrong with this car. Occasional brake wear and wind noise are things I can live with, especially having come from a Chevy. I will take your advice and track down the most current review.

Thanks
    Have you changed the ball joints, control arm bushings, and sway bar bushings? The ball joints are separate from the ball joints that are part of the tie rod and can cause clunks. I'm just trying to throw out every possible solution to see if it's been done. There is a slim possibility you have a bad engine mount. Have you ever heard the clunk when accelerating and than suddenly taking your foot off the throttle or when coming to a stop? Ever heard the clunk while turning? A clunk heard during any of those 3 situations points to a bad engine mount, which is highly possible with so many miles on your car.

My suggestion would be to keep it. If it's been making the clunking noise for awhile and there is no ill effects to its handling, than it should be fine. It definitely has to be better than the Corsica!!
    Thanks for the info regarding the ball joints and sway bar bushings. I'll definitely look into this further with the dealership...that's one of the problems with this car. If you are in need of service, and it is rare, you are at the mercy of the dealership technicians. There are private people who refuse to work on my car, and, after having one of them look at a steering vibration problem many miles ago, actually ended up screwing up my alignment. This particular person thought it was an alloy wheel problem, when in actuality, the wrong size tire was put on from my original car purchase! Go figure! I hope to have someone look at my car again and I'll keep you posted. If you come across anything else, please let me know. Thanks!
  • bagladiebagladie Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Galant. Would probably not buy one again. I have high mileage (50,000) so I have no warranty left. Rotors had to be replaced at 28,000 but am now experiencing the same problems as before with the brakes (excessive shaking, wondering if I am going to be able to stop). My heater has also decided not to work. It starting making a grinding noise about a month or so ago and now does not work at all. The A/C works great though. Am looking for any insight as to what could be wrong with my heater. Thanks.
    I posted last week regarding some clunking from the passenger side front of my car. I recently read a TSB regarding a recall for the lower ball joint replacement from 03/01. This was definitely not done to my car. Could this be the cause of the clunking?? Let me know what you think!
    Yes, it could be. That lower ball joint is the one I was referring to in an earlier post. It connects the hub assembly to the control arm.
  • vivonavivona Posts: 410
    Brake pulsation is caused by overtorqueing wheel lug nuts, a very common practice by mechanics. For detailed information, see the article I wrote at:

http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article2.htm

Mr. Vivona
  • purp3purp3 Posts: 24
    I have a 2000 ES 4cyl Galant with 44,000 miles on it. Before this car, I owned a 92 Toyota Paseo. I've been having problem with the rotors warping on my Galant. I bought my Galant new. In 44,000 miles I've had to have the rotors turned 3 times. My Toyota didn't need the rotors turned for 88,000 miles. This should show that I'm not an aggressive breaking driver. I'm thinking my rotors are defective on my Galant. Anyone else experience the same problem? Any help you can provide would be great! Thanks... The last time I had them turned, I haven't had the tires rotated or anything where they might have tightened the lugs to tight and they are still becoming warped.
    Everytime you have the rotors turned, the rotor's metal decreases in thickness, thus making it more susceptible to warping. The Galant's rotors are known to warp easily if care isn't taken when putting the lug nuts on (an impact wrench should not be used on this car). There is even a TSB for the correct way to torque the lug nuts. I'm friends with the local Mitsu dealer's service shop foreman and he said the rotors are a common problem on the Galant and Eclipse.
  • purp3purp3 Posts: 24
    Thanks for your input! So, the lugs have to be hand tightened huh when they are put back on? No impact wrench at all? Impact wrenches were used on the Toyota I had. I think this is a quality issue don't you? I'm going to look into getting new rotors and when the tires need rotated tell them not to use an impact wrench and see how it goes. I will let the Mitsu dealer know that there is a TSB on how to torque the lugs. I get my rotation done at Walmart so I will have to let them know not to use an impact wrench and also how to torque the lugs. I'm getting frustrated with the rotors. If I can't get it fixed to my liking I'm going to get rid of the Galant.
  • cxshortiecxshortie Posts: 15
    I am having the same exact problems with my heater. It has to make this clicking/grinding noise before it turns on the next air level even after I switch to the desired comfort level!
    They put a new mode motor in the car, but that didnt help.

Last week after they said it was fixed, the temperature control was on cool so I changed it to heat and nothing happened! Four days later, when I turned on the car, I heard the clicking noise and finally the heat came on...then this weekend when I was too warm, I turned to cool air and nothing happened...so I am waiting for the clicking noise until i can take it to the dealer.

Besides that, I have the "normal" Galant squeaking and rattling, i really do like the car, but all this is starting to get on my nerves. I am hoping this stuff will be fixed with the 2004 Galants...I'll wait at least until 2007 to find out!